Help / The Help Forum

Hot Topics

[Official Thread] Have an idea for Flickr? Share it here.
Latest: 2 days ago
[Updated April 15] Beginning Rollout of New Flickr Notifications Center and Settings
Latest: 3 days ago
[Updated April 26, 2021] Flickr is moving payments to Stripe
Latest: 8 months ago
Welcome to the Flickr Help Forum! Click here to get started and to read our Forum Guidelines.
Latest: 14 months ago

Current Discussion

Again I can't see no pictures from nobody!
Latest: 28 minutes ago
How do I post in the "Ideas" thread?
Latest: 2 hours ago
How to post a question
Latest: 2 hours ago
Mapping problem: Yellowstone National Park missing?
Latest: 3 hours ago
Login nightmare . . .
Latest: 5 hours ago
[Investigating] Error when I try to add tags in Batch editing
Latest: 5 hours ago
Extreme bias in moderation bot
Latest: 7 hours ago
[Monitoring Fix] Site is slow again
Latest: 8 hours ago
There was an error and photos were not saved
Latest: 12 hours ago
[Investigating] non Flickr members can't see my pics
Latest: 13 hours ago
Replacing photos
Latest: 13 hours ago
Cant remeber login
Latest: 28 hours ago
More...

Search the Help Forum

[Official Thread] Have an idea for Flickr? Share it here.

Flickr Staff

cabb88 says:

If you have an idea that can help us improve how Flickr works, share it with us here. If you can, please provide details about how this idea would improve the experience for you and other Flickr members.

I’ll be monitoring this thread and sharing your feedback with the rest of the team. Please be respectful of everyone’s ideas and keep our forum guidelines in mind when posting.

Thank you!
Posted at 8:21AM, 15 June 2020 PDT ( permalink | reply )
cabb88 (staff) edited this topic 13 months ago.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next →
(901 to 947 of 947 replies in [Official Thread] Have an idea for Flickr? Share it here.)
view photos

Mitchel25J (45 million + Views Thank You ) says:

ernstkers:

I just ran into this issue and put up a topic in the help forum no one has posted yet. They need to replace the whole World Map App they're using with an up-to-date new one. It's not like they can't find one hell they can go to Goggle or Verizon to get a new Map App. This needs to be fixed ASAP.
Posted 6 weeks ago. ( permalink | reply )

view photos

ernstkers says:

John R Dowell:

that works OK, but not exactly as obvious as having the links at the top as well as the bottom!

The END / cmd+arrow down isn't a flickr feature. It works on all websites.

view photos

Nilsa D says:

Hello there!

Something that I have been waiting for since I joined Flickr (around March 2014) is the option of sorting my albums alphabetically.

I hope this option will come soon.

view photos

Moo.The.Cow:

I don't pay an annual fee, I pay a monthly fee for my Pro and have been doing that since 2006

view photos

Here is the real question does the Staff actually read these ideas and issues and try to fix the problems that are pointed out. I know the whole Map issues have been ongoing since when Yahoo-owned Flickr and still nothing has been fixed.

So is there anyone out there?

view photos

mcnod says:

Mitchel25J:

Here is the real question does the Staff actually read these ideas and issues and try to fix the problems that are pointed out.

The answer is yes. But flickr cannot possibly give everyone what they want. You pay money and you want better maps. I pay money and I could not care less about the maps, there are other eroded features that I wish would be restored. Time and money restraints are always an issue with any small company. I, for one, am grateful that flickr is still here. I believe they are listening, I believe they are trying their best to make sensible decisions.

view photos

Donkey Hot Tea says:

I would like Flickr to specifically ban group Admins/Mods from including rules which seek to circumnavigate member’s Copyrights.

Some group’s rules include wording such as: “By joining the group, you give permission for your pictures to be posted or reposted to Flickr and other forums” or similar.

Flickr should make it clear to group Admins and Moderators that a member’s Copyright is sacrosanct and cannot be overridden via their group’s rules.

What is the point in placing a Copyright on your photos if an obscure sentence in some group rule, renders your Copyright meaningless.

It’s also concerning that: Even if a member joins a group where no such rule exists, there is nothing to prevent an Admin changing the rules at a future date without members being made aware.

A specific Flickr rule banning the practice would protect us all and, in the event of such a group rule being added/included, we should be able to easily flag it. The group should then be shut down and a warning sent to the Admin and Mods as to why it was done and an instruction that they MUST NOT do it again or risk sanctions themselves.

view photos

dmanthony says:

I’d like an option to offer a specific photo at full resolution on an individual instance. By default, I only share the Large size as I don’t want my photos pilfered. I do however have the occasional photo that I would like to share in full size for viewers to be able to zoom into. The workaround I have used is to share the link to the full resolution image in the comments. I’d like to be able to click a button and allow a specific photo to have indicated settings.

view photos

mcnod:

No, what I want is the map t be accurate, there should be o reason why Town Hal, Fire Station, and other Town/City Buildings aren't listed, along with historic sites and to either fix or replace the pam is a quick fix by just changing the map being used right now, but it seems to me that Smug could give a rats ass about 99% of these complaints and deas. What needs to be done is a full-time staff to answer every question that's posted on the Help Forum Period.

view photos

ernstkers says:

Mitchel25J (44 million + Views Thank You ):

to either fix or replace the pam is a quick fix by just changing the map being used right now

Changing the map doesn't make any difference. The place names that Flickr adds are not based on a map. They are retrieved from a database based on the geotags of the photo. It doesn't matter if those geotags are read from the exif while uploading, or generated when somebody puts a dot on a map.

Correcting all millions of wrong place names world-wide is not a quick fix. Likely it's easier to get a complete new database of good quality from which the place names are retrieved. But on such a database might be a high price tag.

More easy is what I asked for five days ago: Make place names editable. In that case at least the people who care about having the correct place name on their photo can accomplish that.
www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157714720744427/page9/#...

view photos

Jeƒƒ says:

Something that's been needed for a long time: Do away with the two different names for each user, where one is used in some places, and the other in other places. Please hear me out!

For example, your photostream header shows you as "Carol Benovic-Bradley" but also "cabb88". Some people enter their real name for one and a username for the other like you have, some people enter a single username for both, some use two different usernames, and some only enter one and leave the other blank.

So then, in various places throughout flickr (too numerous to mention), when only one name or the other is used as the identifier, it's very confusing. You almost have to memorize two names for everyone. A username should be like branding... pick one, and consistently go with it everywhere, without exception.

As just one example of many, your posts in this thread identify you only as "cabb88". But if I click on a photo of yours to bring up the photo page, you're ID'd there only as "Carol Benovic-Bradley", both under the photo, and on your comments on the photo. That makes no sense. Someone needs to go through the entire site (email, photos, search, groups, albums, forums, listings, menus, you name it) and make sure all references are to just one name, which clearly should be that person's chosen username, not their full name.

It's fine if you want to have a space on the profile page to show a real name, but your ID for display purposes everywhere else should be one name, and one name only, choosable by the user. It's cleaner, more transparent, more consistent, and less confusing. But I can almost guarantee nothing will be done to fix it. :(
Jeƒƒ edited this topic 6 weeks ago.

view photos

Richard Harvey UK says:

Someone comes to your attention through a Fave or in a group discussion. You click on their name if you’re interested to see what they’re about. But you land on their faves page or photostream, not their Profile (About page). Can things be engineered so your profile is your “greeting” to the Flickr world (landing page)......

or at least a selectable option? I’ve noticed that not everyone completes a profile page, which seems a shame.
Richard Harvey UK edited this topic 6 weeks ago.

view photos

ShellyS says:

Jeƒƒ:

It's fine if you want to have a space on the profile page to show a real name, but your ID for display purposes everywhere else should be one name, and one name only, choosable by the user. It's cleaner, more transparent, more consistent, and less confusing.

Yes! A thousand times Yes! It's one of my flickr pet peeves.

view photos

Viejito says:

Another 1,000 here.

view photos

John Mamutil says:

Nilsa D:

👍

view photos

John Mamutil says:

Here are some the things I would love to see:
1.Being able to select a range of dates in the Stats view - currently it is only 1 month.
2: I realise privacy could be argued as an issue but how about at least being able to see a broad "location" of where VIEWERS are located.

view photos

Viejito says:

John Mamutil:

where VIEWERS are located.
Doesn’t that little widget work anymore, the one with little flags that showed you for each country where web page viewers were located?

Edit: www.flagcounter.com/index.html
Viejito edited this topic 6 weeks ago.

view photos

ccarenaking says:

cabb88:

Please add a night mode or dark theme for the desktop site. I mainly get on flickr at night only, and the white background is just absolutely blinding.

view photos

Nionyn_ says:

ccarenaking:

Every phone, tablet or computer I have used has had a brightness adjustment control.
That might be all you need.

view photos

Jeƒƒ says:

ShellyS:

Yes! A thousand times Yes! It's one of my flickr pet peeves.

And yet, they won't do it. It's such an obvious design flaw, and so easily fixed. There are many others. But they never actually do any of the obvious things that get pointed out. This is apparently meant as a place for people to vent, so Flickr management doesn't have to deal with emails etc., but it's not a place to get action taken.
Jeƒƒ edited this topic 5 weeks ago.

view photos

Bjartur Vest says:

My topic on the matter was closed, so I´ll post my opinion here instead.

A simple LIKE button under any comments.

I´m not saying it needs to be like Facebook or Instagram, because I do NOT want emoticons or gifs. Just some kind of acknowlegdement button. To show that you appreciate the comment in case you are not the writing kind of type, or simply because you didn´t have the time to comment back. Maybe it can be called a "thank you" button.

And while on the comments topic....

If I answer any comment, my comment goes to the bottom of the page instead of appearing in a box right under the original comment.

That makes no sense at all. A dialog box under any comment is the logical thing to do, and it´s not the same as being Facebook or Instgram, like some people here will claim it is. It´s just logical.

view photos

BobB628xxx says:

I inadvertently posted my most successful image (on Explor11June2021 9K views) to an incorrect Group.

Realising this, I went to that Group and deleted the image thinking it was going to be deleted from the Group only.

It was, of course deleted from my photostream, camera roll, albums and account.

Please consider making a simple change to the message that appears after you hit the Delete option to something like....This will permanently delete your image from your account.

view photos

ShellyS says:

Bjartur Vest:

If I answer any comment, my comment goes to the bottom of the page instead of appearing in a box right under the original comment.

That makes no sense at all. A dialog box under any comment is the logical thing to do, and it´s not the same as being Facebook or Instgram, like some people here will claim it is. It´s just logical.

Yeah. Basic comment threading would be great. That didn't start with social media sites like FB. It goes back to usenet, message boards, blog comments, etc.

I wouldn't mind a "like" option, either, for comments. I'd like it for photos, too, for when I don't want the photo in my favorites and don't want to comment.

view photos

kurtlae says:

There is a feature that I really miss:
In the stats page I would like to be able to specify dates for a specific period.
This would enable me to see which of my photos that were most popular within the specified period.
Today I can only see stats for today and from the "start" meaning that old photos will always be at the top of the list.
Posted 5 weeks ago. ( permalink | reply )

view photos

ernstkers:

No, every up to date map has every Tow and City Hall, Courts, Fire Department, Hospital, Historical Site listed, if my damn phone can list them then FLICKR Map should not only list them but the amount of money they get every month/year from Pro-Accounts there should be no issues with the damn maps period.
Posted 4 weeks ago. ( permalink | reply )

view photos

mattrkeyworth says:

How about you finally fix the issue with foreign characters no longer being searchable? This stopped working in June 2019(!)

English is the only major modern language that does not have foreign characters (diacritics)

I'm sure you can very quickly calculate the numbers of Flickr users and paying Flickr pro users. At the very minimum you should support the most common European and other languages.
mattrkeyworth edited this topic 4 weeks ago.

view photos

littletinperson says:

went back to my activity feed with a mind toward spending a little time there. i punched out after the sidebar stuff. thought i might give it another try. now videos play as soon as they scroll into full view, and there is this sticky label that pops up in the middle of every image. the video thing i could probably adjust to, but the sticky label seems like a bad idea for a site that is supposed to be about photographs and photography.

my idea for flickr - get rid of the sticky labeling in the activity feed. make auto-play of videos in the activity feed a preference for individual users.

still not a fan of the sidebar. if you could make that an option ...

of these three things - the sticky label is the worst, in my opinion. it seems to go against what i thought was a core value at flickr - quality presentation of quality images.

back to my photostream as home page. it takes an extra click or two to get there, but i've actually gotten used to the added inefficiency.

view photos

Flickr Staff

katie_ko says:

littletinperson:

Thanks for sharing!

now videos play as soon as they scroll into full view, and there is this sticky label that pops up in the middle of every image
I just want to clarify that the videos start to play when your mouse hovers over it.

Additionally, can you provide a bit more context around what you mean by the "sticky label"? Providing a screenshot or additional details about what you're seeing would be great!

view photos

aeshnaton says:

Mergers and Acquisitions. If two groups have the same topic they should be able to merge at the wish of the active admins.
aeshnaton edited this topic 3 weeks ago.

view photos

josephFVA says:

A more user friendly User Interface. Finding a harmony between utility and simplicity may help old and new users navigate the site easily. And if possible the ability to connect to other platforms even on a limited degree. So I would be able to share my site and portfolio with different platforms and users. josephvalcarreon.wixsite.com/foresthillsva
Posted 3 weeks ago. ( permalink | reply )

view photos

chipje says:

Mitchel25J (45 million + Views Thank You ):

I see a lot of wrong geografical names. So I agree with those who ask for a better maps-app.

view photos

scratch-media says:

NOTIFICATIONS (old or new) - I turned them off. If I have time I follow up, if I have no time I don't want to be bothered

view photos

littletinperson says:

katie_ko:

i opened a ticket on the sticky labeling. i was told it's intentional behavior, something about accessibility. seems odd that flickr would post redundant information in a label that essentially alters the content being presented. not all that respectful of the photographers who are posting here. a bit like putting a yellow sticky note on a painting displayed in a gallery.

view photos

Czar Hey says:

I would like to see the option to configure privacy settings for albums. It would be nice to have the option to create private albums, and that would certainly help with internal, private photo organization.

I'd also like to see an "unlisted" privacy setting, similar to Google Drive, that allows users to share a link to a photo that anyone can view without having to log in, while keeping the photo hidden from search engines and crawlers. Yes, I know there's the Guest Pass feature, but from a UX perspective, having an "unlinked" setting that users can select right away is much faster and more intuitive.

Currently, I sometimes use Google Photos to share albums with other people, and while this is fine, Google Photos' album management feature leaves a lot to be desired. Removing a photo from an album requires way too many clicks—and forget about bulk photo management, because it's infuriatingly slow. I think Flickr had the right idea when it comes to album management, so I would like to see albums get some TLC so I can consider using Flickr to share photos with other people, rather than Google Photos. As a bonus, it's free advertising for Flickr!

Flickr's Organizer is a very good step in the right direction, making it easier for me to bulk-manage photos, but it could use a UI refresh as it looks quite dated and inconsistent with the rest of the site. I would like to warn, though: please don't nerf functionality in the sake of making it "look nicer"! One functionality I would like to see is the ability to select items, and to select multiple items. Many websites have this functionality where you can select multiple items in the album and then make bulk changes to all of them. And yes, I know there's the "Batch Organize" tool, but I think this should be available in the "Albums & Collections" view, because users who want to make bulk changes to photos in their album are probably going to do it from there, and it's not intuitive to have to go to "Batch Organize", find their album in the filmstrip at the bottom, click "Select All" and then drag it into the organizer... Try to find ways to streamline the experience! The fewer clicks needed to get somewhere, the better.

These are just a few suggestions that I hope will be considered. I know it's been a rough ride for Flickr, but of all the other photography platforms out there, I've found Flickr to be the most accommodating for me.

view photos

mag3737 says:

littletinperson:

there is this sticky label that pops up in the middle of every image. the video thing i could probably adjust to, but the sticky label seems like a bad idea for a site that is supposed to be about photographs and photography.

Are you referring to the tool-tip text that appears when you hover your mouse over an image? This is standard web behavior, not specific to Flickr. The relationship to accessibility is that the text originates from the "alt" attribute on the HTML tag for the image. The purpose of a web page author providing the alt attribute is so that screen-reading software can have something to say other than "there's an image here".

That said, there might be ways for Flickr to suppress its display. But maybe they also are considering whether that would go against commonly accepted UI practices.

view photos

Exit Into Daylight says:

My first gripe is now my second gripe. My first gripe now is to fix this page we are on. If I come to this page it is most probably to leave a comment. SO why is the comment box ALL THE WAY DOWN to the end of the page? Put the comment box on top! My second gripe, and my original one has to do with the comment section for each image. What a mess! Dancing logos, distracting and repeating comments (are they bots?), "post one, comment 3, award 7!!. How about a clean box for the comment section? Many times, especially if a photo becomes popular, the comment section becomes unreadable. Needs to be clean and simple.

view photos

Stuart Smith_ says:

May I suggest that when adding any image to a group that the dialogue box listing the groups be configured so that it can be repositioned on the screen by the user if required rather than fixed in the centre of the screen.
Posted 2 weeks ago. ( permalink | reply )

view photos

Stuart Smith_ says:

May I suggest that when adding any image to a group that the dialogue box listing the groups be configured so that it can be repositioned on the screen by the user if required rather than fixed in the centre of the screen.

view photos

mcnod says:

Exit Into Daylight:

SO why is the comment box ALL THE WAY DOWN to the end of the page?

If people would only read the responses in a thread before adding their own question or answer or opinion. Scrolling down also allows us to easily see if staff have already weighed in on a subject. Many times reading, investigating, or listening is far more productive than speaking, especially on a page like this.

view photos

LPRWebDude says:

I would like to have the ability to add albums to groups. Adding individual photos is pretty lame, especially one at a time.

view photos

ernstkers says:

LPRWebDude:

Adding individual photos is pretty lame, especially one at a time.

You can add photos in batch to groups with the organizr, no need to do it one at a time. You can select all photos in an album in the organizr and then add them in batch to groups.

view photos

Stuart Smith_ says:

How about official answers to the questions and suggestions posed in this thread.

I have suggested a number of times that the map description showing Western Australia as West Coast be corrected but nothing. This is an error of geography to let it stand.

view photos

PoisonOkra says:

I'd love to have the ability to download my photos with the original filenames intact! I have to share some photos for legal reasons, and the lack of relevant filenames are a real problem. Also, sometimes I just want to download a photo on the fly. I'll later see it listed on my computer with this incomprehensible string of numbers and wonder what photo this even is?

The sister site SmugMug offers this capability, so why not Flickr? SmugMug used to be so simple to use years ago, but it's become increasingly complex to the point I rarely login anymore. I much prefer Flickr because it's so user-friendly, but I keep bogging down on the filename issue. If tags could be added to the metadata, that would be awesome! But I'm probably pushing my luck... :)
Posted 8 days ago. ( permalink | reply )

view photos

MNGS717 says:

I would like an easy instant way to permanently MUTE or BLOCK entire users from my search. Here is the problem:

I like to see photos from my hometown area "Carlisle Pa" or "Carlisle Pennsylvania". Often other users dump hundreds if not thousands of photos of cars and trucks so my search is filled with these images. Good for them but not what I want to waste time scrolling through the endless photos.

If I can just mute them easily without even going to their page and clicking through their page. Another idiot posts thousands of pictures of tractors and farm equipment for sale. To me all these photos make my searches frustrating. I just like to see nature photos and interesting local things. Being able to permanently mute entire accounts would make Flickr so much more enjoyable.

I see I can temporarily mute an account but would like a permanent option
Posted 8 days ago. ( permalink | reply )
MNGS717 edited this topic 8 days ago.

view photos

GingerღSnap says:

I would like to be able to use the Flickr Mobile application, but it is missing a couple of things: 1.) I am an administer of a few groups that have a moderation queue. Currently there is no way in the mobile app to handle pictures in a moderation queue. Please add ability to admit pictures to a group from the moderation queue in the mobile app. 2.) I participate in a few groups that have a comment code that you copy and paste to let someone know where you found there picture while you leave a comment. Unfortunately, you can't copy text on a page in the mobile app. As a result of these shortcomings, I have to open a browser on my phone and get to Flickr that way. I frequently have an issue with that as well, however, because the Flickr mobile app keeps opening while I open Flickr pages in a browser. It is quite frustrating. If you are not able to add ability to do item 1 and/or 2 above, then please stop opening the Flickr app when I go to Flickr from a browser.
Posted 4 days ago. ( permalink | reply )

view photos

ronnie.savoie says:

I am a heavy user of awards groups. In many groups I will post a graphic award code in the comments section on 8-12 consecutive or semi-consecutive photos in a group's pool. Apparently Flickr has an anti-spam set up that gives you an error message every 8 awards I post. I use a workaround, by (i) F5; (ii) posting a series of gibberish text in the comments; (iii) F5 again; (iv) posting the award code; and (v) deleting the gibberish comment. This is very time consuming.

I wish Flickr would increase the anti-spam threshhold to 15 or 20 code comments.
Posted 2 days ago. ( permalink | reply )

view photos

Elliott Cowand says:

Cabb88,

Love the theme days in Explore (like BLM and the Coronavirus.)
For future themes may I suggest: highlighting volunteers at charity groups,
climate change, increasing population's impact on nature?

Cheers,
Elliott
Posted 2 days ago. ( permalink | reply )

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next →
(901 to 947 of 947 replies in [Official Thread] Have an idea for Flickr? Share it here.)
Subscribe to a feed of stuff on this page... Feed – Subscribe to help discussion threads