Help / The Help Forum

Hot Topics

[Official Thread] Have an idea for Flickr? Share it here.
Latest: 14 hours ago
New Flickr Notifications Center and Settings available to all members.
Latest: 6 weeks ago
[Updated April 26, 2021] Flickr is moving payments to Stripe
Latest: 11 months ago
Welcome to the Flickr Help Forum! Click here to get started and to read our Forum Guidelines.
Latest: 17 months ago

Current Discussion

blood donor table
Latest: 12 minutes ago
shagun sweets
Latest: 26 minutes ago
Why.
Latest: 43 minutes ago
Albums not always showing in uploader
Latest: 2 hours ago
4K Apple TV - Flickr App not working
Latest: 4 hours ago
Group Cover Photo Can't Be Changed in Beta version
Recently uploaded albums only partially displayed
Gallery - What's this view of it ? (reply: Design before the 2018 Gallery page re-design.)
Unable to rest password
Latest: 11 hours ago
Search box top right anomaly
Latest: 12 hours ago
Does Anyone Know ?
Latest: 12 hours ago
Can't Comment?
Latest: 15 hours ago
More...

Search the Help Forum

[Official Thread] Have an idea for Flickr? Share it here.

Flickr Staff

cabb88 says:

If you have an idea that can help us improve how Flickr works, share it with us here. If you can, please provide details about how this idea would improve the experience for you and other Flickr members.

I’ll be monitoring this thread and sharing your feedback with the rest of the team. Please be respectful of everyone’s ideas and keep our forum guidelines in mind when posting.

Thank you!
Posted at 8:21AM, 15 June 2020 PDT ( permalink | reply )
cabb88 (staff) edited this topic 17 months ago.

1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next →
(1101 to 1155 of 1155 replies in [Official Thread] Have an idea for Flickr? Share it here.)
view photos

Tony / Guy@Fawkes says:

ShellyS:

I think this is actually a good idea, I am fed up with people either posting material which is not wanted in a group or trying to join groups which are unsuitable.

Anything that actually makes people read and think is good !
Posted 3 weeks ago. ( permalink | reply )

view photos

Eddie C3 says:

I have a complaint. This morning I woke up and was notified that "Recent Activity" is going away. Then I clicked on a link that claimed "Let us know what you think."

It was the first time I saw it. The notice wasn't in recent activity yesterday.

So I clicked on it and the discussion was closed. I guess you don't care what I thought, probably notified loyalist to fill it with positive reviews. But I now know that no one cares what members think, so I guess I should keep it to myself.

But here's a fact. You didn't add anything. You took something away.

I don't know what to think because I have avoided clicking on the Notification bell and have been managing recent activity just fine for years. It seems that long before I'll have the time an experience to "let you know what I think" the discussion thread has already been closed.

view photos

Flickr Staff

cabb88 says:

Stochastic Processes:

Regarding #5 - While we know that we have improvements to make with groups, hate has no place on Flickr. If your friends haven't already or if you've encountered this behavior yourself, please report it to our Trust and Safety team so that we can review it (select Trust & Safety in the dropdown on that page). A member of our team will also be reaching out to you via email, if you'd like to respond to us there with more details.

view photos

Flickr Staff

cabb88 says:

Eddie C3:

[EDITED] Sorry about that, Eddie. We're working on removing that banner. If you have any further questions or feedback about the new Notifications Center, you can share with our team by writing in here.
cabb88 (staff) edited this topic 3 weeks ago.

view photos

ShellyS says:

Tony / Guy@Fawkes:

I think this is actually a good idea, I am fed up with people either posting material which is not wanted in a group or trying to join groups which are unsuitable.

Anything that actually makes people read and think is good !

I think it will backfire. I think group participation will wane. If I'm in a group that has no active admins and mods, I leave. I currently add a small percentage of my photos to no more than a dozen groups each and that percentage would likely be zero if I couldn't submit them to groups via upload. The groups I admin,, except for one or two, have queues, so I can control what ends up in the pool. Maybe some folks would engage more with groups if they had to visit them, but I think as many would engage less with them. It's really hard to legislate behavior.

We all use flickr in our own way and limiting those ways seems like the complaints folks are leveling against the new notifications, forcing something down our throats. (For the record, I've gotten used to the new notifications page and it's working fine for my needs.)

view photos

my.travels says:

cabb88:

"If you have any further questions or feedback about the new Notifications Center, you can share with our team by writing in here. "

Why do you insist that we would write to you rather than asking here openly?

view photos

jonnyrotten2 says:

Eddie C3:

Yes I agree with the expressed opinions of Eddie C3 in regards to the proposed removal of "Recent Activity"

view photos

Flickr Staff

cabb88 says:

my.travels:

We want to ensure that everyone has all of the information and help that we can provide to ensure a smooth transition over to the new Notifications Center. The best way for us to provide that assistance is if folks write directly to our team. It will ensure that we respond to everyone within a timely fashion and can hear everyone's specific questions, needs, and feedback.

view photos

Finn Frode (DK) says:

cabb88:

The thread about the new Notification Center was closed very abruptly and much too soon. Please reopen it.

view photos

TooLoose-LeTrek says:

Some (MANY) do not like the new RECENT ACTIVITY listing changes. How about making the old listing (I really like seeing the summary for each image right there in front of me) an option rather than a forced change?

Is this forum getting axed too? I hit a link of asking a question of my own and was taken to a page that works about the same as telephone menus, where the topic categories are limited to your choice of categories, requiring way too much data (name, email, link to flickr, possibly a DNA sampling?)

view photos

my.travels says:

cabb88:
If there is a problem the solution is learnt only by the person who wrote to you in case it is written directly to you rather than here. If it is written here and you respond here, then everyone will learn the solution. For this reason, your response is not right.

view photos

mcnod says:

my.travels:

If it is written here and you respond here, then everyone will learn the solution.

I tend to agree with you on this point ... but ... in some cases, like the new Notification Center main thread and it's off-shoots, too many members were repeating themselves ad nauseam and becoming more dis-respectful with each new post. It got to the point where I simply stopped looking at those threads and any new or valuable data presented there was lost to me - perhaps others felt this as well.

view photos

Bjørn Eriksen says:

Hi, I have an suggestion: when I open my Flickr site (or search any name on Flickr) the photostream site open first.
Can You tell Flickr to give me an opportunety to open the Album site first?
Se my thread about this.

view photos

ChristianofDenmark says:

Since the thread of the new notification layout is closed, I will place my comment here.

It's making the entire Flickr slow, slow, slow ... and furthermore you have to spend a long time if you want to see what happened 3 weeks ago. I could continue, but I believe you have seen all the negative opinions so far.

BTW. Do you know what it takes to run a good business ?? Satisfied customers ...

view photos

Timberhawks says:

"Have an idea for Flickr?"

Please update the Flickr Apple TV app.

Would love to be able to browse Flickr photos and slideshows again!

Thanks!

view photos

pongo 2007 says:

Very sorry to see the "Recent Activity" page is being taken away from us and replaced with something I never wanted.

This notification page makes using Flickr even slower for people like myself with a rural internet connection. Not happy here.

view photos

roll the dice says:

yes too right!..the first thing i use is recent activity....there must be an option of KEEPING it
Posted 2 weeks ago. ( permalink | reply )

view photos

Amie Rae says:

I left this comment before on the new "Recent Activity" and I feel compelled to leave it again, as it seems to have been ignored. I have dyslexia, and the new format is going to be a NIGHTMARE for me to use. There is waaaaay too much text and my brain cannot process it all. I'm sure I'm not the only member with issue in flickrland - the world is a big place. This and other learning disabilities are quite common.

I will surely consider this when I figure out whether I want to continue with this website.

view photos

joeke pieters says:

Amie Rae:

I don't have dyslexia, but for me it is too much text as well, that makes it unclear. I hope that symbols for comments, faves, galleries and mentions are going to be used as in Recent Activity.

view photos

Circular Key says:

I've got an idea, why not make the new 'notification page' to closely resemble the 'recent activity' page as possible. That way you can have your new page and the majority of Flickr users will be happy. Win Win.

view photos

sakuyaizayoi94 says:

cabb88:

This is it

view photos

sakuyaizayoi94 says:

flic.kr/p/2jvUcZo

view photos

ghoermann says:

I would like to join the new notification haters because I want to see all users faving a picture. I do not see any advantages in the
"xxxx and 5 others faved" notification. I want to see the names of the "5 others".

view photos

kurtwolf303 says:

Circular Key:

😄👍

view photos

Ealonian56 says:

There's one thing I do like about the new notification feature, and that's when I'm told that a photo (which needs to be approved for the Group) has been rejected by an Administrator; when that happens, I add a note to the photo to save myself the effort and embarrassment of trying to add it again.

view photos

haakja says:

cabb88:

Let people access there account after yahoo have deleted my email!

Can now see my picture but i can not log in!

view photos

ernstkers says:

haakja:

i can not log in!

For login issues you must contact support: www.flickrhelp.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

view photos

ap0013 says:

I'd like the ability to schedule picture uploads for later on in the future. I like to space out my photo uploads so my account always features fresh content, and because I never know which ones will be the most popular, I don't like burying photos by uploading a bunch at once. This would allow me to spend more time in the field rather than at the computer uploading pictures. Instagram and Facebook allow these features, I hope Flickr can too.

view photos

Viejito says:

ap0013:

the ability to schedule picture uploads for later
You can make a folder on your computer or phone with the photos you want to send to flickr later.

Or would you want Flickr to schedule the time of the uploads without your intervention?

view photos

mcnod says:

ap0013:

I hope Flickr can too.

Your idea was forwarded to the Product Team over a year ago, guess it is a low priority:
www.flickr.com/help/forum/72157716038880642/

view photos

UTA' TAKEDA says:

I'm honestly not a fan of the rejection notifications for group members and wish we could do away with it. I'm an admin of a couple of groups and what was once fun (the group itself, not rejecting photos) has ultimately been ruined by this feature as mods and I have to go through rants and complaints now from angry members who see this notification and take it the wrong way.
While I certainly don't mind giving explanations when I have the ample time to do so, a lot of people do take the notifications personally. This was never an issue before nor did we ever once have anyone complain or voice issue with photo rejections prior to this feature coming into existence. Literally every single notification I see now from other groups that I'm in starts with the title "Why was my photo rejected?".
UTA' TAKEDA edited this topic 2 weeks ago.

view photos

Ealonian56 says:

UTA' TAKEDA:

At risk of opening the floodgates, I've not yet had any complaints about pictures I turn down. I must be lucky!

view photos

Great.Family says:

Please add gallery support to mobile app

view photos

Jan 130 says:

pongo 2007:
joeke pieters:
roll the dice:

Agree with you all. I ALWAYS started with "Recent Activity" page and still do as long as it's running. I'm terribly unhappy with the recent change. I'm too busy to wait for Notifications to load... it's just confusing. I'm now not interested much in making new photos ... as I feel so unhappy with Notifications and it's making me disinterested.

view photos

Tony / Guy@Fawkes says:

Jan 130:

and I'm with you all on this issue.
There has been a notice informing us of this change for some time, it also asked us 'what we thought.'

Why, when 'what we thought' counted for nothing and was ignored ?

view photos

ap0013 says:

mcnod:

Yep, figured I'd ask again! They liked the idea a year ago, and it seems it would be a pretty easy function...

view photos

crescentsi says:

Hi,

I understand the idea of making Flickr more like Facebook, perhaps perceivable as more "user-friendly" to mobile phone users but I really like the old styling "recent activity". Too much information tends to detract from the photography/art; the images are the raison-d'etre of a photography website, not the funky additions.

How about keeping the original format in addition to the "bell" notifications?
Posted 10 days ago. ( permalink | reply )

view photos

crescentsi says:

UTA' TAKEDA:

Good point! The rejection notifications could be seen as "breeding animosity".... Potential abuse over private messaging?

view photos

crescentsi says:

Eddie C3:

Good points.... I agree!

view photos

Jan 130 says:

crescentsi:

So agree with you on both issues. I hardly upload at all now, as I can't possibly keep up with all the Notifications. Admin of many groups.. all step-up. If I add my image to another group, I can't possibly keep track. I'd have to be on Flickr 24 hrs a day. Recent Activity is simple, fast and accessible. At least, it used to be. Notifications are OK for people with time but please let's have Recent Activity as well - PLEASE !
Jan 130 edited this topic 9 days ago.

view photos

spelio says:

cabb88:

Remember all the ideas from the days of the NPE...

www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157645000450855/
www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157645000450855/7215764...

Are some ideas still waiting? But it is nice to have a stable website now.....
Posted 9 days ago. ( permalink | reply )

view photos

spelio says:

cabb88:

Under Notifications, is there a way to provide a link to Groups I Admin if there are any pending images to approve..

Just the Groups with pending images..

Thanks!

view photos

Clement Tang * says:

Jan 130:

I have slowed down very much on Flick activities. It would be nice some how Recent Activities can be restored back to its glorious days - unlike now - very much crippled.

view photos

mcnod says:

Jan 130:

I hardly upload at all now

Reviewing your Archive page it could be said that you have always maintained a fairly modest level of uploading.

view photos

Kernowfile says:

UTA' TAKEDA:
Ealonian56:

I welcome the receipt of rejection advices. It is useful to know when an image does not fit within the type of image a group requires - it avoids an ongoing waste of my time and that of admin in possibly constantly rejecting images.

I usually post between 2 and 4 images per day and my intention is not to break any group rules. Since rejection notices commenced, I have probably received about 10/15. I have not contacted any admin. I have checked my image against group rules and in some cases I have modified what I post and stayed in the group. In one case I was trying to clarify, by example, the interpretation of subject matter. And, we all make mistakes.

I am annoyed however by some groups where the group rules/titles are too vague, subjective, open to misinterpretation, or are obviously mis-stated because of the content actually allowed. Remember, one person's art is another's junk. If admin receives too many off-topic images, look at your group rules/descriptions, and preferably make the subject matter crystal clear in the group title.

I have left a few groups for these reasons, most recently one I have frequently posted to. In this last case I posted, a few days apart, 2 images of a subject within the titled subject matter of the group, both were rejected, and latterly I have had 2 other images invited to the group(after I'd left) which clearly don't qualify on even a wide interpretation of the group title.

Just a few thoughts, and Flickr, please do not remove the rejection notifications.

view photos

SGarriott says:

Images shared to Facebook are automatically cropped short?! Why?
I have to explain on FB that this is not really what the image looks like....
Please go back to properly uncropped images so composition/signature etc are not destroyed.

view photos

roll the dice says:

it also asked us 'what we thought`...since when do any company listen to the people??
Posted 8 days ago. ( permalink | reply )

view photos

vkll says:

I'd like to see flickr support AVIF, an image format based on AV1.
It's completely royalty-free and supports modern features relevant to photography like 8/10/12-bit depth and wide gamut.
The main challenge is compression time at the moment, but it gets faster every month.

Browser support is getting there:
caniuse.com/avif

Up-to-date Windows 10 and Linux support AVIF.

darktable supports it since 3.2.1:
www.darktable.org/2020/08/darktable-3.2.1-released/

Here's a good article by Netflix about it:
netflixtechblog.com/avif-for-next-generation-image-coding...

Another good resource:
avif.io

It was mentioned already here
www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157714720744427/7215771...

Since then, we've gotten support in Chrome and Firefox (desktop and mobile).

Maybe AVIF could be served depending on the user's User Agent string for potentially big bandwidth savings.
Many websites already do this with the older WEBP - serve it to those users who can display it for decreased bandwidth, and oldschool JPEG for those who can't.
Posted 7 days ago. ( permalink | reply )

view photos

Franks Photos! says:

Does Flickr pro-actively search for SPAM, or does it depend upon its users. The WORST offenders in the world are lawyers offices using Flickr for free advertising. Lawyers already know all the rules. They should be deleted immediately with no warning and have their IP address blocked forever. My 2-cents.
Posted 6 days ago. ( permalink | reply )

view photos

Jan 130 says:

mcnod:

Indeed I have not uploaded much compared to others, but that's because I'm busy with our groups. Each of our members is appreciated and I like to let them know by giving each an award if I like their photo. When I do upload a photograph, I've worked hard at it, so I want to see what my recent activity has been over the last few weeks on my other images. Sometimes it takes a fairly long time for other admins of GREAT groups to invite my and other photos up to the top level. I take a pride in my work. Recent activity is very important so I can see full details of what's happened while I've been away or award counting. I guess I should write to someone in Flickr Administration about this, but you've only just set my mind working on what to say. Thank you for that !

view photos

my.travels says:

It was stated by the admins that The Notifications Center is a rebuilt version of the Recent Activity page designed to surface all of the latest activity related to our Flickr experience. Then, we learned that "Recent Activity" page will be ended in December. Such decision came against opposition by some (or many) users including myself. Then, we were told that the Notifications Center will be improved through feedback by users and that feedback would be collected through direct emails to Flickr help desk. This is the whole story until today and we are getting close to mid December day by day and not sure whether we see any improvements on the Notifications Center since the day it was announced. Is it possible for the admins to let us know about the progress in improvement works on the Notifications Center? Thank you in advance.

view photos

Calle Söderberg says:

When publishing photos using the uploader, they sometimes time out for no apparent reason.

Please add an "OK" button to that dialog which lets me go back to the Uploader to either salvage my descriptions or even try again.

The way it is now, I have the "Publishing..." dialog with a perpetual pink bar stuck on top and I can see the first lines of every description but not read/save/interact with them and the only way out is to close the window and start over.

I write lengthy descriptions for my photos and add link to related shots plus put a crapload of tags on them to be able to find the right one later on. Having to start over quickly kills the fun here.
Posted 4 days ago. ( permalink | reply )

view photos

ChristianofDenmark says:

'Bad, bad panda!
Come on. We want photos.
We’re aware of the problem and are fixing it. Thanks for your patience.'

Have any idea when you have fixed the problem ?? Has been here since the new notification layout.
Posted 3 days ago. ( permalink | reply )
ChristianofDenmark edited this topic 3 days ago.

view photos

amazingstoker says:

Enable the viewing of ones own comments in 'Notifications', as used to be the case in 'Recent Activity'. I found this a useful facility before you took it away.

Posted 18 hours ago. ( permalink | reply )

view photos

Raphaël Belly Photography says:

It would be nice to get a way to upload pictures sorted randomly. We can’t until now (only by date or title).
Posted 14 hours ago. ( permalink | reply )

1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next →
(1101 to 1155 of 1155 replies in [Official Thread] Have an idea for Flickr? Share it here.)
Subscribe to a feed of stuff on this page... Feed – Subscribe to help discussion threads