Help / The Help Forum

Hot Topics

[Official Thread] Have an idea for Flickr? Share it here.
Latest: 35 hours ago
[Updated April 15] Beginning Rollout of New Flickr Notifications Center and Settings
Latest: 2 days ago
[Updated April 26, 2021] Flickr is moving payments to Stripe
Latest: 8 months ago
Welcome to the Flickr Help Forum! Click here to get started and to read our Forum Guidelines.
Latest: 14 months ago

Current Discussion

[Investigating] Error when I try to add tags in Batch editing
Latest: 3 minutes ago
There was an error and photos were not saved
Latest: 2 hours ago
[Investigating] non Flickr members can't see my pics
Latest: 3 hours ago
Replacing photos
Extreme bias in moderation bot
[Monitoring Fix] Site is slow again
Login nightmare . . .
Latest: 9 hours ago
Cant remeber login
Latest: 17 hours ago
[Acknowledged by Flickr Staff] Adding to Showcase Problem
Latest: 21 hours ago
Waiting for combo.static.flickr.com
Latest: 23 hours ago
I can't see or make comments on friends' pix
views
More...

Search the Help Forum

[Official Thread] Have an idea for Flickr? Share it here.

Flickr Staff

cabb88 says:

If you have an idea that can help us improve how Flickr works, share it with us here. If you can, please provide details about how this idea would improve the experience for you and other Flickr members.

I’ll be monitoring this thread and sharing your feedback with the rest of the team. Please be respectful of everyone’s ideas and keep our forum guidelines in mind when posting.

Thank you!
Posted at 8:21AM, 15 June 2020 PDT ( permalink )
cabb88 (staff) edited this topic 13 months ago.

(801 to 900 of 947 replies in [Official Thread] Have an idea for Flickr? Share it here.)
view photos

mcnod says:

Ger Bosma:

The thing I take from the thread is that flickr thought that a 3rd party would develop api routine or program that would collect and present the data. This never happened AFAIK. Perhaps flickr will someday revisit what long term stats they can provide. I doubt the data will go back beyond the move to the present day servers.
Posted 4 months ago. ( permalink )

view photos

Ian Press Photography says:

I tend to go back to auto-uploaded pictures a bit behind times. An easy way to change the taken or uploaded date would be good.
Either a way to change the uploaded date on each picture in a batch in a controlled manner, or a tick box to change the date and time to the now on each picture. I know there is (was?) a way to change the taken date like that

view photos

mag3737 says:

Ian Press Photography:

I tend to go back to auto-uploaded pictures a bit behind times. An easy way to change the taken or uploaded date would be good.
Either a way to change the uploaded date on each picture in a batch in a controlled manner, or a tick box to change the date and time to the now on each picture. I know there is (was?) a way to change the taken date like that

You can change dates in batches using the Organizr (You > Organize from the main menu on any page). Note: not on mobile.

view photos

spelio says:

cabb88:

My ISP has offered me a free "super boost" until august. not sure if it is worth it sometimes as the Amazon servers seem very slow at delivering my Flickr search results. I get 250Mbps on my NBN to the PC...

The scrolling of my images is very good at times, ESPECIALLY if I am near my router or connected by Ethernet cable.

Is there a way to actually just test the speed of Flickr, rather than Ookla just giving results from my street, which slow when the neighbours come home from work.

there used to be this... www.flickr.com/help/test/

which looks inactive now.

could you provide speed tests to these for Pro Members?

There was no blue Reply button on my iPad, using Safari or Chrome, at the top of this Discussion, and I had to go to and fro from another Hot topic using Chrome on my PC to get the Reply button to APPEAR.. here now.. 11:55am EST 27/03/21

Also, the get Feed link www.flickr.com/services/feeds/forums.gne?format=rss_200&a...
is all unformatted Garbage...
spelio edited this topic 4 months ago.

view photos

Flickr Staff

cabb88 says:

Wil C. Fry:

Hey, Wil. Sorry for the false flag. The bot can make mistakes and we do welcome you to correct it in those cases. More details here in case you have not seen this post yet.

view photos

spelio says:

Now the Blue Reply button has gone again from the Head of this thread all the way to here!

I only see the permalink....

Edit.........
Now it has returned after I posted this!

view photos

spelio says:

I had wanted to reply and add a Tick to this...

www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157714720744427/7215771...

Where there is NO Reply button NOW!!!!

As someone else said here, It would be great to add a Like or Unlike, as Youtube does, to Comments on any photo, and any Comment here on the Forum!

They should be counted too, as on YT !!

view photos

Kaometet says:

Remove the amount of followers/following.
Less healthy and uncorrupt but still much better than it is now: give people the choice if they want to show the amounts, of both followers/following and favorites.

view photos

Richard D. Price says:

Fix multi-word tags. Sometimes double-quotes works, sometimes it doesn't.

view photos

spelio says:

Richard D. Price:

Fix multi-word tags

I would Tick this Comment If I could.. Like they do on Youtube!

view photos

EdFhvn says:

I know Flickr has been around for awhile (so have I for that matter) but I just recently got into it as a way to share images of an ongoing documented EPA remediation project with several different agencies. Two of the companies involved are civilian, but others like the EPA and the Corps of Engineers are using government laptops that restrict access to private web pages, so posting on Google Drive or my own website made them inaccessible. After working my way through the process and I began uploading images (I do so at the end of every day), I noticed the newer photos were being added to the bottom the album, as opposed to going to the top of the queue. I changed the sort order so the newest came to the top and assumed, incorrectly, I discovered, that would get saved as the new default. It did not, and I can't find anywhere in the system to make that change permanent. As the number of images grows, it becomes more tedious to scroll to the bottom to see the new ones. There will be (literally) thousands of images before this project ends and I'd really like to find a way to automatically add new photos to the top rather than having to go into organize every time and change the order manually. OFF TOPIC to a degree.... I'm also shooting video of this project using drones and a RED digital Komono 6K camera, but Flickr restricts my uploads to 1GB. Essentially, that's 30 seconds worth of video from the RED an 45 seconds from the drones. I have to post the videos on my web site or YouTube, neither of which the guys on fed laptops can access. Any suggestions? Thanks.

view photos

Viejito says:

Richard D. Price:

Sometimes double-quotes works, sometimes it doesn't.
Make sure you do not use an editor which helpfully changes " " into “ ” because it looks better. Those rounded quotation marks do not work for keeping tags together. Only the straight ones work.

EdFhvn:
To summarize: you want chosen album order to stick and videos of more than 1GB to be allowed.

view photos

mag3737 says:

Sometimes I wish I could see more than 20 of someone's "most faved" or "most interesting" or whatever. It happens on those times when I go to their About page and the top 20 and maybe their Showcase (if they've made one) are SO GOOD I want more, but then I go to their Photostream and it turns out they are ... well ... let's just say too active. Who has time for that? (Says the guy with 49000 photos in his stream.) So I want more, but I don't want THAT many more. So maybe I want the top 50 instead of the top 20. Or even the top 100. Or whatever.

view photos

POsrUs says:

I would like to be able to search for a particular word or phrase in a set from Organize.

I've been seeing this same, tired message below for years!

"Darn! Flickr isn't smart enough to search within a set (yet!)."

The ("yet!) might lead one to believe that the smart folks at Flickr would actually provide this. DARN!

view photos

Tranquiligold says:

I'd like to see the search using facial recognition algorithms to return photos with certain person, at least for my own phots. I found myself often want to find photos with one of my kids from my vast family albums. User should be able to train the AI search with few photos of the same person and the AI search should do the rest. Google Photo has this feature and I use it a lot.

view photos

Traveller_40 says:

I am on another local social network , with many similar problems with dead groups. Groups used to be displayed sorted by number of members as default.

A recent most welcome change, groups are displayed by activity b default. Groups with no admin for long time, for what ever reason, group members were invited to to take over Administration. If none come forward within approx 2 weeks, groups were closed. This solved many problems to find more active groups.

If possible implement a similar solution.

Also as mentioned already many times, pictures in album, default should be newest on top

view photos

davidben33 says:

As per me, the most consuming photographer's time on Flickr is sending albums onto multiple groups. So if a list of groups could be comprised feature to select needed of them, then Flickr can be made this multiple operations when it will be convenient say for a period of less traffic.

На мой взгляд, больше всего времени фотографа на Flickr тратит на отправку альбомов в несколько групп. Таким образом, если список групп может содержать функцию выбора необходимых из них, то Flickr может выполнять эти несколько операций, когда это будет удобно, скажем, для периода меньшего трафика.

view photos

Kris Davies (megara_rp) says:

I'd like a camera breakdown in Stats, it would be interesting to see how many photos I've done in total using various cameras over the years.

view photos

Phil Cardamone says:

cabb88:

The problem with the Pixsy perk is that Pixsy is monitoring all the images on a Flickr Pro account including those that do not need to be monitored. These are private, often family images. Consequently, these images that are not commercially available stock photo images eat up the limited number of images monitored on Flickr.

Pixsy wants us to individually mark the images we don't want monitored one by one ("Ignore" setting). In my case, that's thousands of personal images.

Please note these issues to address in the Pixsy/Flickr collaboration:

1. Privacy. Flickr claims that members can determine who can see their photos. Pixsy customers don't want to have their family photos and other private, unpublished images monitored needlessly. The reason to use a service like Pixsy is to monitor infringements. We should not have our privacy violated. That's what happens when images are available to a third party.

2. Inconvenience. In my case, there are approximately 2,500 images that I want to exclude and growing. I started to mark the images one by one and then realized the extent of the task.

3. Flickr perk ruined. Since the number monitored is limited, this perk for Flickr is considerably cheapened. These excess images on Pixsy only clog up the works and override the images that we actually want to monitor. Pixsy can't identify the the images a Flickr Pro member wants to be monitored under the quota.

My commercial images are in an Album, but Pixsy says it can't focus on just one album.

Flickr and Pixsy need to fix this problem. I'm sure there is a fix. I think a specific album would work.

view photos

_ghosty_ says:

It is strange there seem to be no way to subscribe to a gallery. Is it possible to add such feature?

view photos

Stig Nygaard says:

_ghosty_:

It is strange there seem to be no way to subscribe to a gallery. Is it possible to add such feature?

It might not be an RSS/Atom kind of news feed you are seeking, but surprisingly that ain't available either for galleries as far as I can see. Pretty much everything on Flickr can be followed via an RSS/Atom news feed, except a gallery.

view photos

Flickr Staff

cabb88 says:

Phil Cardamone:

Hey, Phil. Thanks for this feedback. Pixsy does have the option to limit the monitoring to only public photos that you've uploaded to Flickr. I know that this isn't as granular as selecting a specific album, but we wanted to make sure that you are aware of that option.

view photos

Kaometet says:

I would like the option of not showing numbers.
To put the emphasis where it should be : the image.

view photos

OzGFK says:

Hi there, this has been mentioned before, but can you please advise if you will be allowing us to permanently set the sorting option on albums, such that I don't have to manually arrange the album after each time I upload a photo.

Can you please advise if this is going to be addressed?
Posted 3 months ago. ( permalink )

view photos

Tomas Olander says:

I'd love to be able to mark albums as "hidden".

My use case is an album which I upload chiefly for me and my friends (e.g. "Road trip to so and so 2015") with lots of photos and so they all have non-public visibility, but a few of the photos from the album are ones I'd like to share with the wider community. It looks more than a little fugly to have that one public photo suddenly "expose" the album.

view photos

Jeffrey Balfus (thx for 9 Million views) says:

Issue related to iPad:
It's difficult to post a group because there is no sorting. Each post has to go thru every group. It would be great to sort alphabetically to limit the number of groups to sort thru.

view photos

atomic.infinity says:

Issue related to older groups where the admin is no longer taking part :

There are some very useful groups that have a large following and regularly used for great pics, but they are also spammed on a massive scale by psuedo-bloggers with unrelated images, for the sole reason that the group has open posting setup. They just want clicks and likes and follows to massage their ego. This ruins what used to be great groups.

Please Flickr if the admin has not been online for 10 years can a new admin be appointed?? the levels of spam makes it a farce.

view photos

mcnod says:

atomic.infinity:

Please Flickr if the admin has not been online for 10 years can a new admin be appointed?? the levels of spam makes it a farce.

This has been discussed often here in the help forum. Yes there is already a path for you to follow if you wish to assume the leadership of a group. flickr does not get involved in any group over this until someone voices their willingness to take charge of an abandoned group, if you want to get involved, you can do so by contacting the help heroes here:
help.flickr.com/contact

If you do not want to get involved, best to just quit the group in question.

view photos

simonov says:

spelio:

It would be great to add a Like or Unlike, as Youtube does, to Comments on any photo,

The purpose of those like buttons for YouTube, Twatter and Failbook is to assist algorithms in elevating popular or trending content in searches and other presentation formats. There's really nothing like that in Flickr (thank God), and so no need for like buttons.

view photos

edgar.photography says:

Comes to mind 3 things at the moment

[Android]
1. auto-upload option to be possible to select which Folder(s) we want to upload and not ALL media files from phone
2. From Flickr APP to be possible to share someone account. I can't send someone's account to a friend via app, there is no option. Only sharing photo is possible, if the owner did not block it

[Chromecast]
Since google removed Flickr from option on their ambient screens, this would be a good moment for Flickr create an app for chromecast where Flickr could be the ambient for the users, as it was working for google before.
choosing which albuns or accounts to show, with some info on the screen (name of photo/album/photographer + maybe outside weather).

view photos

MimiPinkdot says:

In the "Pending items" section of Group pools, it would be helpful to see how many views and favs a photo has. There are some groups that require a certain amount of views and/or favorites in order to be accepted in the pool.

Having the view count and fav count would save time with approving or denying submissions.

This may not be useful to the majority so I don't expect a feature like this to be implemented any time soon but thought I would suggest it anyhow.

view photos

Bill Rosmus says:

I wish I could change the size of the image that I see when I click on it. Say allow us to configure it or something so that as I browse through group photo pools, I can also see the captions and locations without having to scroll.

It's a big deal for me and can change whether I fave a photo or not. And when I keep having to scroll to see it on every photo, I just get frustrated and give up and don't bother.

view photos

WalrusTexas says:

Richard D. Price:

Quotes never worked for multi-word tags on my iPad, but comma separators do! Just end your tag with a comma.

view photos

MabelAmber️***Pluto5339***MysteryGuest says:

Please Flickr, go back to displaying screen name consistently, instead of alternating between screen name and real name.

EDIT to say: one name here and another there is the best recipe for confusion.
MabelAmber️***Pluto5339***MysteryGuest edited this topic 3 months ago.

view photos

mag3737 says:

MabelAmber️***Pluto5339***MysteryGuest:

Ditto that one.

view photos

Nionyn_ says:

MabelAmber️***Pluto5339***MysteryGuest:

Please Flickr, go back to displaying screenname consistently, instead of alternating between screen name and real name.

Please add my name to this petition.
:-)

view photos

Viejito says:

I second fourth Mabel’s motion.
Alternating between the two causes confusion.

view photos

woordenaar says:

Is it possible for Flickr to use one name instead of two? I got a message in the notifications center that [real name] has written a message in the group, but in the group I only see a message from [display name]. It takes some time for me to puzzle out that [real name] and [display name] are in fact the same.

The app (iOS, latest update) uses [real name] in discussions in groups, the website uses [display names]. It's really annoying, so yeah, one up for Mabel.

view photos

Kaometet says:

About rethinking the workings of 'explore': disable faving and commenting, make that inherent to being 'in explore'. Following as the only option.
Wouldn't that be great :-D

view photos

Kaometet says:

Add another 'explore': a Guest Explore. A Flickr user has the honour of choosing images to be 'in explore' for a certain amount of time.

view photos

Flickr Staff

cabb88 says:

Kaometet:

Hello! Thanks for these suggestions to help improve Explore. Slightly related –– if you'd like to suggest a photo for this month's Explore takeover on the topic of Earth Day, we'd love to hear from you over here.

We're also going to continue experimenting with announcing these Explore takeovers in advance and seeking your suggestions on themes and photos to celebrate.

view photos

Donkey Hot Tea says:

220 million views – images fave’d 70,000+ times – 13.7k followers – ALL photos PUBLIC – NOTHING used for private storage – Flickr AND ITS ADVERTISERS get ALL the benefit. This is why I am unwilling (and cannot afford) to pay for the dubious privilege. (All the above in my primary account).

Therefore, why does Flickr seemingly want accounts which generate advertising revenue, to stagnate and die? It seems to me, at the very least, blinkered.

Yes, I COULD delete my older pics to add more BUT, they are still attracting views (and revenue?) and maximum views are surely what advertisers want.

I suggest/request a modest allowance of 2 pics a week (100 PER YEAR) PUBLIC pictures, (over and above the current 1000 limit) be allowed for free members. This would ensure continued interest by the account holder and, more importantly, continued views. This in turn = continued advertising revenue. Stagnant accounts don’t attract advertisers (and certainly do NOT attract revenue).

It’s taken my other account a mere seven years to attract 220 MILLION views. In another 10 years, with the modest increase I suggest, I would have only 2000 photos but Flickr AND ITS ADVERTISERS could benefit by HALF A BILLION views. The cost to Flickr would be no more than me opening a second account, and less than third/fourth account(s).

view photos

Please implement the option to receive Flickr mail only from specific audiences, or even lock it altogether - in the same way you can handle your comment boxes.

view photos

pongo 2007 says:

woordenaar:

Is it possible for Flickr to use one name instead of two? I got a message in the notifications center that [real name] has written a message in the group, but in the group I only see a message from [display name]. It takes some time for me to puzzle out that [real name] and [display name] are in fact the same.

I agree, it's very confusing to see real names and screen names both being used for different pages on Flickr, I never am sure if they are the same person

view photos

jgurbisz says:

What I enjoy and appreciate most about Flickr is a direct result of the service having been essentially abandoned for so many years back when Yahoo owned the platform. None of the modern social media algorithms that decide what we see and by whom were directly applied to the Flickr API and as a result, what I see on my Activity Feed is largely a chronological posting of the photographs my contacts have uploaded, I love this, don't change it.

The age of the algorithm, while most certainly designed to increase interaction, viewership, and push "uniquely curated" feeds, different for each user, has over the long run created more of an unforeseen negative impact on social media in general. No longer is it truly enjoyable to scroll through Facebook, Instagram, or any number of other popular social media sites. Instead, we are bombarded with cleverly disguised ads and assaulted with content from often unethical, drab social media "influencers", designed to garner a profit off of things which no one cares about.

Ironically, it's perhaps Flickr's many years of neglect, which have now become its greatest asset. More and more people are looking to share content intrinsically and Flickr offers that. Because Flickr is a paid service the user is not necessarily the product and because of this I believe that Flickr stands a real chance of not needing to implement the "algorithms" that have essentially ruined Big Social Media. My hope is that SmugMug realizes this massive advantage and continues to keep this aspect of Flickr the same while at the same time respecting privacy.

With that being said, many aspects and features of Flickr are severely outdated and it shows, embarrassingly so, at times. Fortunately, what I think needs to be implemented is primarily cosmetic modernization across the site which I will outline below:

(1) Take FlickrMail for example, here's a feature that is literally stuck in 2004. It's embarrassing to use, clunky, and ugly; but it works. Flickr should take the ethos of FlickrMail and simply update it. Combine the inbox and sent folders so that messages can be read within an inline view, such has been the standard over the past 10+ years. Even a throwaway flip phone does this. Perhaps even provide the ability to turn off Flickr Mail for those that don't want to be contacted in the first place.

(2) The Flickr Mobile App. It is clear that Flickr is best designed for desktop computing, as this is where most of the primary features are available. I personally much prefer to use Flickr on the desktop, however I completely realize that I am in the minority and that desktop computing is all but dead. The future of mobile has long been here and Flickr needs to get with the future. If you've ever tried to access Groups on the mobile app, well godspeed to you. It's an embarrassment. The Flickr Mobile App needs to be a near desktop replacement. It's possible that there are a subset of people out there who would like to use and pay for Flickr but do not because they primarily interact with the Internet via touch screen devices, and the Flickr App severely falls behind in this category.

(3) Flickr Groups. While Flickr has recently made progress with pushing group activity, little has been done to modernize Groups themselves. It's possible there are plenty of people tired of Facebook who would love to give Flickr Groups a revive, but it's difficult to breathe life into a skeleton. Flickr need to redesign Groups to be mobile and desktop friendly. The idea of having to know some amount of HTML to format posts is simple to me, but I suspect any potential new comers will give up quickly. Implement HTML code into buttons/functions that can be used by anyone, much like a modern forum based software. Perhaps add functionality such as subscribing to certain posts and getting notifications when new content is posted as well as simply being able to link to Flickr photos inline without them showing up near thumbnail size.

(4) Flickr Map is at best, broken. It's a chore to update coordinates and place photos on a map. Flickr Map also does not work on mobile. Again the technology is there it just needs to be modernized. With an emphasis on location data Flickr could become a powerhouse for geotagged content, especially as all modern photography devices tend to geotag photos by default. Flickr Map needs to be brought into modern times.

(5) Flickr Camera Finder, was a really powerful feature back in the day. However, currently it is a an abandoned mess of outdated technology. I shoot with a relatively modern camera and its no where to be found on Camera Finder. Again, this is just a case of missing data and the UI needing to be updated, modernized, and linked together. Flickr Finder could again become a popular tool, but first it needs a little CPR.

(6) General cosmetic facelifts. All throughout Flickr there are many sub-pages and menus which are still stuck in the mid-2000s. You could be browsing a fairly modern looking page (such as the Activity Feed) and then click onto a page and be transported back 15 years ago. This is embarrassing. There are also dead links to be found from time to time, which is expected with a site as old as Flickr.

(7) Real name versus display name confusion. For as long as Flickr has been around this has been an issue. It's confusing to have two different names correlate with different aspects of the site. An easy solution is of course to set ones real name and display name as the same, but why even have both at that point?

With all of this being said, Flickr is still the best photo sharing service and I'd even say social media site out there. The only social media I seriously put any amount of time into is Flickr. Flickr is awesome, the community is alive and vibrant, but the technology needs to be brought into the future, if Flickr is to have a revitalization. A new era is quickly dawning in which more and more people are continuously becoming fed up with FB, IG, Google, Twitter, etc policies' and leaving such sites in droves. The good news is that Flickr is in the perfect position to welcome this new onslaught of potential users, but in-order to do so the Flickr Staff needs to dust off the old and modernize, modernize, modernize. No need to re-invent the wheel here, just fix the outdated and apply some buff. What weakened Flickr initially was not adapting quickly enough during the early days of social media and because of that FB and IG left Flickr in the dust. It's not often in life second chances come around, but now that Big Social Media has exposed its evil tracking tendencies, Flickr needs to pivot itself to be the future of social media photo sharing and rise from the smoldering ashes of IG and FB. I look forward to many more years of sharing my photography on Flickr and I have much respect for what SmugMug has accomplished thus far. I realize that modernizing Flickr is a monumental task and that with any and all changes, will come a barrage of complaints. However, I've been a member of Flickr though the good and the bad and I look forward to what the future holds. As a Flickr Pro user I do not feel like I am the product of the service, rather I feel like I am a contributing member of a greater community. My hope is that the Flickr community will continue to grow and expand while avoiding the decisions that have turned other big social media sites into the cesspool they have become today.

view photos

jgurbisz:

(7) Real name versus display name confusion. For as long as Flickr has been around this has been an issue.

Well, not exactly. Or let's put it this way: Flickr itself did not create the "issue".

Up to 2014 Flickr consistently displayed the "screen name" as it was called, thus there was no confusion.

In the mentioned year the confusion set in, because Flickr had begun alternating between "real" name and screen name".

See a number of posts about the issue here:

www.flickr.com/search/forum/?lang=en-us&q=screen+name...

Edited to replace a row of links by just one
MabelAmber️***Pluto5339***MysteryGuest edited this topic 3 months ago.

view photos

thegirlwholeftthefridgeopen says:

I have a recommendation to give Flickr users a second life to their old photographs. Especially for the 'pro' users we have several pages worth of photographs that are open to the public but I think most people who visit someone's page, they only breeze through the first 2 pages. Some people have some hidden gems worth of photographs that are in the hidden by the recent photos. My suggestion is to have a 'RANDOMIZER' buttom on user's profiles to where flickr randomly selects a page worth of random photographs. Cause it does feel a little weird dig through someone's profile all the way through page 30 (but if their photographs are 'public' it's fair game and enjoy looking at a photographer's development from their earliest pictures. I think there are some links you can attach to your 'about' page but some people don't want to or dont know how to attach those links like 'flickriver' etc. I think this would be really cool to add more interaction to old photographs. Thanks for having an open ear flickr team!
Cheers!

view photos

jgurbisz:

yes, with flickr mail, I use it a lot and like to send personal messages to other user, many times people don't reply back and when they do they say 'I had no idea flickrmail existed!'. possibly because more people are using the flickr app over the actual flickr website. But flickrmail can be an amazing tool but it's not highlighted enough. And also when I do get a mail, most of it is to invite me to some weird group or some spam email

view photos

Another helpful thing would be to be able to search for the groups in the tablet and phone app version of flickr. When I want to quickly upload a photo from the iphone, I have some groups I want to add but you have to scroll alllll the way down through the groups that you are a part of because they are part of the latter half of the alphabet. 'Seach' feature for groups would be extremely helpful on the APP

view photos

Kendall Whitehouse says:

Enhancements for "In Memoriam" accounts

A year or so ago, Flickr introduced the ability to establish "In Memoriam" Flickr accounts for account holders who have passed away (help.flickr.com/en_us/in-memoriam-flickr-accounts-HJA_AcTL4). This is a boon for folks with large archives of photos and for people who may enjoy viewing them long after the passing of the photographer.

The service would likely be improved by clarifying some of the details and adding a few modest enhancements.

The details of how memorialization happens are a bit murky. (How long are photos kept once a credit card lapses? What's the window to be notified to memorialize the account?)

I'd like to see the following features added:

(1) Allow current Pro users to:

(a) specify that they would like their account memorialized at their passing, and

(b) let them identify one or more Flickr accounts that could aid in establishing the memorial status for an account.

This is, I believe, similar to Facebook's current system for memorializing user profiles (and might also be helpful to Flickr for acquiring and retaining users).

(2) Allow the current account holder to set changes to photo settings that would activate upon memorialization. For example:  

(a) Copyright/License: Allow their public photos to be changed to a Creative Commons license or put in the public domain when their account is memorialized.

(b) Search Settings: Allow "Hide your stuff from public searches" to be changed from Yes to No upon memorialization.  

There may be others like myself who, for various reasons, want to retain full rights to their images while they're living, but would hate to see them locked into a restrictive copyright after their passing.

The option to create an "In Memoriam" account is a valuable asset. With a few enhancements it can be even stronger.

Thanks for considering. 

view photos

arthur.kiano says:

Flickr auto uploader sometimes uploads the same exact photo many times.
I didnt go through all of my photos but I saw this a lot in my older photos from 2014. If this was/is an issue that happened to many people. you may benefit from saving the same exact photo only once. Run an algorithm that will delete all photos that are exactly the same (leaving only one of them there). Just a thought.

view photos

littletinperson says:

still not a fan of sidebar in activity feed. still not using activity feed as a result. still wish you would make presence of sidebar an option.

view photos

mikerofoto says:

in camera roll, only thing showing when click on picture is number of views, can it be possible to add the hole thing like how many comments and how many favs?

view photos

franz-wegener.de says:

cabb88:

Hello, my Apple TV 4K can only show 2 photos in an album. Please solve this problem!

view photos

Robert Sterbal says:

Donkey Hot Tea:

iews are surely what advertisers want.

I suggest/request a modest allowance of 2 pics a week (100 PER YEAR) PUBLIC pictures, (over and above the current 1000 limit) be allowed for free members. This would ensure continued interest by the account holder and, more importantly, continued views. This in turn = continued

Do they list all the business models they considered somewhere? What are the downsides of the one you suggested?

Are you having trouble monetizing your work or are you not interested?

view photos

Henry Barnett says:

cabb88:

It should be possible to organize my albums when in the - you/organise/albums & collections page - by selecting multiple albums and then dragging them to be with other similar ones. At the moment it has to be done one at a time. This is terribly time-consuming as in my case I have about 450 albums and it takes a long time to move just a single album.

view photos

Donkey Hot Tea says:

Robert Sterbal:

What are the downsides of the one you suggested?

What downsides could there be?

It would appear to me that Flickr has only two sources of revenue: 1) Pro members, who pay an annual fee/subscription, and: 2) Advertisers who pay to air their products/services.

Those advertisers would NOT be willing to pay, if no one sees their adverts and Free members are the only ones who see the adverts. Therefore, the more views a Free member gets, surely the happier the advertisers will be. If an account becomes dormant, it gets no views and, if a member loses interest because he/she is unable to add to his/her photostream, then that's a recipe for him/her to abandon his/her account.

It has been argued that I could remove some of my older material in order to post new. But no image has less than 30,000 views and even those older ones are still being viewed at frequent intervals by members and others so, which do I remove?

Most importantly, under my suggestion, any additional photos (2 per week) would have to be 'Public' view only. Free members who use Flickr to store their private photos are contributing nothing to Flickr's advertising revenue and are actually costing Flickr money. Therefore, in order to avail themselves of this concession (and thus help to pay their way), the extra photos would have to be public.

Advertisers want publicity for their products/services. That's why they pay for adverts at high profile events. If a football team charged a company to display that company's advert around the pitch, and then covered the advert hoardings (US= billboards) with tarpaulins, the advertiser would soon find another home for its money.

Are you having trouble monetizing your work or are you not interested?

If I had even the least interest in monetising my photos, then I wouldn't be posting them on Flickr where the world and his wife can view them for free (and even download them if that is their wish). In that respect, money has never been an issue.

And before someone else shouts: 'Well if money isn't an issue, why don't you pay for a Pro account?' I would ask: 'Does Disney, MGM, United Artists (or their modern day equivalents) who produce the films, pay the Cinemas (US= movie theatres) to exhibit them?'

view photos

trniheeca says:

www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157714720744427/7215771...

i vote for this!
Posted 2 months ago. ( permalink )

view photos

abstractartangel77 says:

Way back in 2012 Flickr used a 'Nopin' Meta Tag to keep our Copyright images from Flickr being pinned in Pinterest.

While some people are happy to have their Copyright Flickr images Pinned, others, like me are not.

Although my Flickr Privacy and Permissions is set to 'No' under 'Allow others to share your stuff' this makes no difference - people can still Pin my images.

It would be good if Flickr were to bring back the "nopin" meta data tag option for those of us who want it.

marketingland.com/flickr-uses-nopin-meta-tag-to-keep-some...

view photos

OldUncleMe says:

I run a group with a lot of images posted. I'm trying to trim the inappropriate & off topic images from the photo pool. I found one member with most of their many photos not matching the subject matter at all, by any stretch.

I found this by searching their user-name. Many photos come up from the search, and most are posted to 300 or more groups. This person is no longer a member of the group so I can't just remove them with their photos. I can't find a direct way to remove photos from the pool that I've found by Searching the group pool. All I've found is to open each photo, go to the list of groups, click repeatedly to expand the list until my group appears, then remove it.

This is a crazy amount of work to curate the pool, which has so many excellent photos from around the world from most contributors. Could the Search return page gain the option to selectively remove inappropriate photos?!

view photos

Petersrockypics says:

A suggestion for video clip full screen controls.
I raised an issue in HF on this subject, before realising My error.
www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157719214608220/
This was caused by some confusion with the picture in picture pop-up, being placed on the video, yet the "full screen" option is tucked away, perhaps it would be possible to have the full screen option appear in a similar fashion to the pic in pic feature.
[https://www.flickr.com/photos/petersrockypics/51174425117/]

view photos

Nionyn_ says:

OldUncleMe:

This person is no longer a member of the group so I can't just remove them with their photos.

You can do this easily.
Find one of their photos in your group (on its page in the group's photostream).
Hover your cursor over the thumbnail of the photo. You will see an ellipsis (three dots) appear in the upper right of the photo.
Click on the ellipsis and a drop-down menu will appear, with options to ban and remove all photos etc.

view photos

.TwentyEighthParallel. says:

The icon for the Nikon Z6 camera looks nothing like a Z6. It would be nice to see an accurate rendering. Thanks.

view photos

TM Trams says:

I have a very good one!
Fix your bugs!

1)
A lot of people are not able to create a Flickr account. This is already going on for many many years. I guess I was very lucky because it worked for me a couple of months ago, finally. But a friend of mine tried again yesterday and still same issue. You create and account, then you confirm your email. Then when your try to log in first time it just says account/password doest exist. And it really doesn't exist because you can just create a new one with the same email and get yourself into an endless loop.

2)
I have an very old account, but I can't get in anymore.
Every time when I try to log in it says it's time to change my password.
Then when I do that and try to log in again I get the same message again and it brings me in a loop forever till the end.

view photos

ernstkers says:

TM Trams:

I have an very old account, but I can't get in anymore.

For login issues you must contact support: help.flickr.com/contact

TM Trams:
You create and account, then you confirm your email. Then when your try to log in first time it just says account/password doest exist.

For these kind of issues you must contact support: help.flickr.com/contact

view photos

greenoid says:

Feature Request
Panorama Viewer

For a professional photography site this should be a no-brainer.
In the single image view there should be a panorama view button if the picture ration of >= 2,4:1.
This should be a full screen display with the ability to "see" around with the mouse instead of a full image view, always scaled to the width of the browser (which results in thumbnails with minimum height).

Thank you.

A paying customer and long years member.

view photos

beverleyplaya says:

It is I guess a small thing I mention but it would be a good time saver I think if . . there was a "reply" option with each comment left on a picture, in the comments thread . . click on the comment reply and the reply appear directly under the comment made . . rather than have to scroll down the page of comments to see if there has been a response . . !

view photos

Kmot says:

cabb88:

Hello. I would wish for a 1 Button solution to "Alphabetize" my albums.
I was a member of Fototime for years and compared to Flickr, they were a dinky mom and pop outfit, but at least they had a 1 button option to alphabetize the albums. In Flickr, it appears I have to manually drag all my albums thru the Organize function and try to correctly alphabetize them there. Scrolling thru this thread, I see that users have asked for this feature for YEARS now! Why does Flickr not take care of this?

view photos

SGarriott says:

cabb88:

Regarding the Flickr mobile app:

I am referring folks to my flickr stream more actively now, however I struggle with a couple of issues that have turned people away or confused them on the mobile app:
1. the accept cookies popup covers virtually the entire screen and includes so many options that people are intimidate, frustrated and just leave the site! Many other sites keep the popup small and start wth 2 options: "accept all" or "more" ... Under "more" the user can then see additional options. Or "essential cookies only". This at least provides a quick and painless way around the legal necessity that doesn't completely turn visitors off
2. I like to refer people to my albums page ... however on mobile devices, my Faves are listed under my albums...at the very top no less! It is deeply frustrating when people want to order a print of a photo that isn't mine and I have to explain that "faves" are "my faves of OTHER photographers"

view photos

Aurila Tigerfish says:

For Flickr groups

- Please add 'Your usual group selections'/'Would you like to add your photo to your most commonly posted to groups?' or something of the sort to upload a photo to a bulk of your usual groups, rather than this manual selection, one click at a time process.

view photos

Bill Rosmus says:

cabb88:

I know you hear this a lot, but you need to fix your explore selections.
One of the biggest problems with it I see is that you de-emphasize photos that are put in a lot of groups, I suppose with the assumption that photos that get a lot of likes without being in a lot of groups are better.
This often just gives advantages to people with a lot of followers.
I think a higher priority should be the 'amount of views per fave'.
I have a photo for example that has over a thousand views and around 75 or 80 faves for 14 or so views/fave.
Many of your photos on explore will have tens of thousands of views and something that works out to 40 or 50 views before it gets a fave.
The key bit is in order to get the views I have to include it in larger number of groups. The other person, because they might have been lucky enough to get a photo on explore once or twice before all of a sudden get a much larger follower count (that does happen) and now no longer need to put their stuff in a ton of groups to be able to show to a wider audience (and yes, I like a lot of people to look at my photos, that's why I take them, not to sit in a dark room and look at them by myself).
So, once a photo hits a viewer threshold (regardless of number of groups) look at the view to like ratio. If people look at it an like it more often, those are the photos that should get explored. I say a threshold so that there is a decent sample size.

view photos

Jungshadow says:

cabb88:

Any chance we can get an update to a long-running issue? www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157718073137813/

The help forum itself needs some love and attention in terms of readability/usability.

view photos

René Vlak says:

SGarriott:

I agree, the 'Faves' tab / option is confusing, not just on mobile but also on desktop devices. I also thought the 'Faves' tab was meant for my own favourite foto's, not the photos of others that I faved. So either change what's shown here, or hide that tab / option from the general public on all devices (only show it to me personally).

And good suggestions about the cookie message :-)

view photos

ShellyS says:

René Vlak:

So either change what's shown here, or hide that tab / option from the general public on all devices (

Maybe make it an option to hide from the public. Personally, I enjoy looking through favorites of contacts and people I find via Explore to follow. Their favorites have led me to many people I subsequently added to people I follow.

I also use my Favorites to enjoy again later, and sometimes, to temporarily store photos for later inclusion in one of my galleries.

I found Favorites to be confusing at first, as with pretty much every site I join, but once I noticed the photos there were ones I'd just favorited, the confusion vanished. The real issue for me is when you click on someone who favorited your photo, on the photopage, you land on their favorites rather than their photostream.

view photos

mag3737 says:

ShellyS:

The real issue for me is when you click on someone who favorited your photo, on the photopage, you land on their favorites rather than their photostream.

I have been confused for 1.37 seconds by that many times. I've developed a habit of glancing up at the "internal tabs" -- the ones that say (About Photostream Albums Faves Galleries Groups) -- to check the little blue line for context.

view photos

Vrielinkie says:

Being able to download full albums, (bigger than 500 photos), Flickr is becoming unusable for me if this stays as it (suddenly) is now. I need to be able to download full albums....

Also, bring back Magic View, so you can search your photos for specific subjects. It used to work like a charm and I really used this feature a lot.

view photos

ShellyS says:

mag3737:

I have been confused for 1.37 seconds by that many times. I've developed a habit of glancing up at the "internal tabs" -- the ones that say (About Photostream Albums Faves Galleries Groups) -- to check the little blue line for context.

Same here. I trained myself to look at that menu bar to doublecheck where in a person's account I've landed. The info is there, though, via those tabs, so I don't see this as something that needs to be changed.

view photos

Ata M Adnan says:

I feel the earlier layout of Flickr, with 5 photo with captions on the first page. That was fantastic and gave us a much better understanding of the photographer and their thought process with the captions and everything. The second and following pages could still follow the current layout.

Anyone else feel that way?

view photos

Linda DV says:

Why is it no longer possible to take over an abandoned group?
I have taken over a few through Flickr help. If the admin left and hasn't been around for almost 10 years, I don't see why someone else couldn't take over the group.
Abandoned groups are often hijacked by spammers, dumpers and all sorts of abuse. Isnt it better to look for others to take over, especially if they volunteer to do so.

I'm asking because I gave the help.flickr.com/contact link to some people who wanted to know how I took on these abandoned groups and they said it didn't work;
So I tried myself yesterday, and they are right. I got an answer Flickr doesn't meddle in groups, and a suggestion to start my own group.
Linda DV edited this topic 2 months ago.

view photos

Northridge Alumni Bear Facts says:

cabb88:

There should be an option to organize photos numerically.
I, for one, work with many historical type photos. Different subjects, classes, sports, autos, graduations, and etc., are represented by the year it occurred. These photos are titled by the date concerning the happening in the photo .
The date of the photo is not usually known and the date of the upload is not important. I could at the date to each photo as the date taken, but that would require doing each photo individually and would be very time consuming as I often add fifty to one-hundred and fifty photos at a time.

An option to organize numerically would be very helpful as is the option to organize alphabetically, which I use frequently.

view photos

Bill Rosmus says:

cabb88:

Allow the poster / uploader of photos to report spam comments that have been added to a photo's page. And then address it right away. Sure I can block the spammer, but it would be better of the spammer and all his content be nuked from the site at once. That person brings down the quality of the whole site, and quickly. Only the Smugmug devs have the power to implement this.

view photos

Bill Rosmus says:

Linda DV (no netwerk, no internet):

I agree with you.

view photos

mag3737 says:

Bill Rosmus:

Allow the poster / uploader of photos to report spam comments that have been added to a photo's page.

This capability has existed for many years. Go to "Report abuse" at the bottom of any Flickr page. If you do it from the page on which the spam occurs, the page location is automatically included in the report received by Flickr staff.

view photos

OzGFK says:

Northridge Alumni Bear Facts:

Can you give an example of the file naming / titling system you are using?

view photos

Jonathan Sambrook says:

Flickr is missing the ability to set a sort order on albums. You can re-arrange an album's contents, but this does not affect later additions.

Having to always remember to go and reset this, every single time I add a photo to an existing album is very frustrating. I often arrange albums to most recent first, but Flickr places later additions at the back of the album.

Ideally I'd like to set this globally as a default for new albums, and to be able to override it for albums at creation and subsequently.
Jonathan Sambrook edited this topic 2 months ago.

view photos

Jonathan Sambrook says:

Have the option of proper thumbnails instead of the non-square pseudo-thumbnails.

The square ones make me guess which image they came from, whereas a full thumbnail will lose more detail. Usually that tradeoff favours full thumbnails IMO.

view photos

Viejito says:

Jonathan Sambrook:

full thumbnails
Indeed. The square cut-outs, which only look good for square pictures, may be easier to fit beautifully on a page or on a tiny phone screen, but they do not represent the photo, but only what happens to be — or not to be — in the center of the photo.

view photos

Margaret S.S says:

Please could we have alnums showing on the front page or even better on every page of a photostream also could we choose between black of white for our photostream.!!?

view photos

OzGFK says:

Jonathan Sambrook:

Yes many other members have raised this issue (default album sort) in this thread. It is disappointing that Flickr has not at least replied to comment on this feature request.

view photos

An_Anteros says:

Omitting some authors in the My feed on Flickr activity Home page

When I am checking the new activity of the authors (people I follow) at the Flickr Home page, sometimes I come across those who I would still like to follow, but omit their activity (at least for some time). It would be something similar to the groups, where is possible to uncheck the "Show in my feed" option (or the option "Mute" on Twitter).

Perhaps an idea was already posted, but it is hard to search over many pages, so I will be free to post the "idea", or better to say request, which I don't think it would be hard to implement.

view photos

Moo.The.Cow says:

Could we have an option to permanently increase the 1,000 picture limit with a one-time payment? For example, paying $10 would permanently increase this to a limit of 2,000 pictures, paying an additional $10 after that would permanently increase this to 3,000 pictures, and so on.

There are many of us out here who aren't a fan of annual subscriptions but would gladly pay for one-time costs.

view photos

ernstkers says:

Make place names editable

The database Flickr uses to retrieve place names based on the geo tags is of poor quality. I understand that's it difficult, and not a priority, to change to a better quality database.

My suggestion is to make it possible to edit the place names by the users. I would love it to type the correct name myself instead to be sticked to something wrong that comes from the lame database.

This same idea was already proposed twelve years ago by somebody else. And multiple times again later. At that time staff was positive about it, but a bit reluctant because of some fear people were going to name their locations "Kitten Town".

In those twelve years many things changed with Flickr. One of them was that the database that was used twelve years ago was replaced by one of worse quality than the old one. Another that the ability to select another, better place name from the database was trashed.

So again the proposal: make it possible to edit the place name.

view photos

Ardi Fontein says:

Drag-n-drop on iPad

You can drag-n-drop your photos on an iPad in the webbrowser using the following technique:

Select the photos you want to drag-n-drop, press and hold the first of those photos, this photo will enlarge with a menu attached. Select “copy”, then touch the space where you want to drop those photos.
Done!
Posted 6 weeks ago. ( permalink )

view photos

tronkel says:

cabb88:

How about adding a creative story-telling feature that would allow the user to create a series of creative stories regarding a specific theme. Here's an example:

I have 2 cats who have VERY naughty-looking faces and who I anthropomorphize as Mafioso types who try to devise all sorts of illegal get-rich-quick schemes. The picture description would act as a summary of their latest scams and the resultant comments are always more fun than the usual bland attempts e.g "Oh what a beautiful fluffly cat! etc, etc."

This story telling feature could be implemented from the position on the on the web page where add-to-groups and albums etc. are located.

view photos

Dee Shea Himes Photography says:

cabb88:

How about having the most basic function is the sort albums by alpha, OR even better, give a pull down menu to sort by Album name by alpha, date, etc.

This is taking way too long.
Dee

view photos

John R Dowell says:

I've got four pages of flickr albums. To access albums on any except the first page I have to scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on the appropriate number. Why not put the 1-2-3-4 links at the top of the albums page as well as at the bottom for quicker access?

view photos

ernstkers says:

John R Dowell:

To access albums on any except the first page I have to scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on the appropriate number. Why not put the 1-2-3-4 links at the top of the albums page as well as at the bottom for quicker access?

I support the idea as it makes things easier. But you don't have to scroll down. On Windows hit the END button on your keyboard and you should jump to the bottom of the page. On a Mac hit the cmd and arrow down buttons together.

view photos

John R Dowell says:

ernstkers:

Thanks – that works OK, but not exactly as obvious as having the links at the top as well as the bottom!

view photos

Mitchel25J (45 million + Views Thank You ) says:

Flickr needs to go and update the maps, as I posted in another thread over on the help forum. I went to place a few photos in Gilford New Hampshire and the Town Hall, Fire Station, and Dept of Public Works aren't listed either is the historical covered bridge, I just got done uploading photos of NashuaNew Hampshire War Memorials and the Soldiers and Sailors Monument isn't listed.

I've had locations where I was placing photos in their GPS location throughout the USA and have run into the same issues. So I think either Flickr needs to get a new World Map with better locations or someone needs to spend time fixing the old map.

Thank You

view photos

Mitchel25J (45 million + Views Thank You ) says:

John R Dowell:

Same here I support this idea also

(801 to 900 of 947 replies in [Official Thread] Have an idea for Flickr? Share it here.)
Subscribe to a feed of stuff on this page... Feed – Subscribe to help discussion threads