Help / The Help Forum

This thread was closed automatically due to a lack of responses over the last month.

Hot Topics

[Official Thread] Have an idea for Flickr? Share it here.
Latest: 4 hours ago
New Flickr Notifications Center and Settings available to all members.
Latest: 3 days ago
[Updated April 26, 2021] Flickr is moving payments to Stripe
Latest: 10 months ago
Welcome to the Flickr Help Forum! Click here to get started and to read our Forum Guidelines.
Latest: 16 months ago

Current Discussion

Error: "Couldn't invite to group"
Latest: 40 minutes ago
Adding to Groups
Latest: 69 minutes ago
Contact form not working
Latest: 3 hours ago
[Monitoring fix] Group Pool Posting Limit not working
Is it Flickr? Users? or Is it Me? - Views & Comments vastly reduced.
New Notification Center
Latest: 4 hours ago
Videos disappeared from camera roll
Latest: 7 hours ago
You have no photo or tag and photos with missing tags
Latest: 7 hours ago
My photo count is wrong.
Latest: 9 hours ago
[BUG?] For a same Photograph, Numbers of shots dispalyed different between Pool Justifed and Square view (Admin view)
Latest: 17 hours ago
User links in notifications bug?
Latest: 26 hours ago
[Acknowledged by Flickr Staff] Thumbnail problem
Latest: 28 hours ago
More...

Search the Help Forum

[Identified] Uploadr on Mac (Catalina) stuck on "scanning" Photos library

Bon/Chant says:

The Flickr Uploader app on Mac OS Catalina just gets stuck on "Scanning" when I'm trying to upload all my photos from the Photos app.

Seems that this was being looked into last year but the thread was closed as no one had responded for months. Is there a fix for this in the pipeline? Apparently this is also an issue in Big Sur...
Posted at 10:04AM, 28 January 2021 PDT ( permalink )
R L Catlow (staff) edited this topic 4 months ago.

view photos

Flickr Staff

katie_ko says:

Bon/Chant:

Sorry for the trouble you're running into with the Uploadr.

When Catalina OS was rolled out, Apple redesigned the Photos Library database entirely which made it incompatible with our Mac Uploadr.

We recently released a new version of our Mac Uploadr for members on Big Sur. This did not include a fix for the Photos Library support, as this issue is more complicated and still requires work.

We want to add support for the Photos library in the future, however, at this time there is no clear ETA on when that will happen.
Posted 8 months ago. ( permalink )

view photos

Jared.fu says:

Hi

I am using Big sur 11.2.1 (20D74) with flickr uploadr 1.1.2(2121).
The uploadr is always "Scanning" my photo library.
Posted 7 months ago. ( permalink )

view photos

bobrk says:

Bummer, I was looking to use Flickr as a backup for my Photos content. Any new updates on progress?
Posted 6 months ago. ( permalink )

view photos

A Donovan says:

Still stuck on 'scanning' for me.

view photos

TDYLN says:

katie_ko:

Any update, I just got pro to upload my 18 years worth of photos and nothing is working...really not happy

view photos

Jungshadow says:

TDYLN:

Agreed. I've brought this issue up a number of times before and it seems to get hand-waved away every time. For those of us on the more technical side of things, it would be nice to know why, since Catalina, there still isn't even a proposed fix for this issue (e.g. still don't understand the scope of the problem, the Photos database isn't well documented). I like the idea of supporting Flickr, both philosophically and for nostalgia's sake, but I'm starting to wonder why I've been paying for all these years.

view photos

joeri.mulder says:

Following (having the same issue)....
Posted 5 months ago. ( permalink )

view photos

pseudonomad says:

katie_ko:

Hi, have also been waiting for any updates on this since Catalina. I want to stay with Flickr (also philosophically and for nostalgias sake) but now feeling the pain of it not automatically uploading my photos content. Doing it manually means that I end up not doing it - which removes all value of having the Pro account. Is there any tech information available on why this integration has broken? Are there any automated work arounds that don't involve me: going into photos, selecting ones to upload, exporting them to a folder on my desktop, syncing that folder with uploader, going into Flickr and duplicating all the title, caption and tag information (this is the time killer) and then deleting the desktop folder once confirmed all photos are uploaded to Flickr? Really feels like I am being forced to choose between Apple or Flickr here.
Posted 5 months ago. ( permalink )

view photos

Mamanocie says:

pseudonomad:

Following...
total agreement I don't want to quit flickr mainly because I have way too many photos to move but please give us a working upload option or I will have to go.
Posted 4 months ago. ( permalink )

view photos

tamoore48 says:

Following as well... I put off upgrading and moving to Photos partly due to this, but unfortunately my Mac finally died and needed to be replaced, so can't use my iPhoto anymore. Any update on when we might see support for uploading from Photos?
Posted 3 months ago. ( permalink )

view photos

wildhareuk says:

tamoore48:

Unfortunately, Apple are not very helpful when it comes to third parties accessing their devices. I suspect that Flickr are struggling on this one as I gather that the Photos structure has completely changed.

view photos

ernstkers says:

tamoore48:

Any update on when we might see support for uploading from Photos?

Uploading from iPhotos was an Apple feature. Apple used the Flickr API for it. Anybody with software writing skills can use the Flickr API to make software that can interact with Flickr, e.g. to upload photos. Flickr had no involvement with this except for making the API available to everybody who wants to use it.

When Apple made Photos they decided to not include the feature to upload to Flickr. That's a decision of Apple. Flickr cannot modify Apple software and add an upload feature to it. Apple has to do that.

view photos

alwyn22 says:

Following as I'm having the same issue. I'm sure Flickr are just as frustrated as all of us if it's down to Apple shutting down access to the Photos Library but regular updates from Flickr to their user community on the current status of this issue would be appreciated. Thanks.

view photos

kiwirat says:

Till Apple fixes the issue, there are ways to still upload. Export the photos to a folder on your desktop, then use the web uploader and upload from that folder. Yes, it's an extra step, that's how I do it till Apple steps up and fixes the issue.

view photos

Joe Pallas says:

sigh. The Apple photo ecosystem is not treating me very nicely. First I lose Aperture, then I lose Flickr integration. I hope Flickr can make this work.

This thread was closed automatically due to a lack of responses over the last month.

Subscribe to a feed of stuff on this page... Feed – Subscribe to help discussion threads