Help / The Help Forum

This thread was closed automatically due to a lack of responses over the last month.

Hot Topics

[Official Thread] Have an idea for Flickr? Share it here.
Latest: 36 hours ago
[Updated April 15] Beginning Rollout of New Flickr Notifications Center and Settings
Latest: 2 days ago
[Updated April 26, 2021] Flickr is moving payments to Stripe
Latest: 8 months ago
Welcome to the Flickr Help Forum! Click here to get started and to read our Forum Guidelines.
Latest: 14 months ago

Current Discussion

[Investigating] Error when I try to add tags in Batch editing
Latest: 46 minutes ago
There was an error and photos were not saved
Latest: 2 hours ago
[Investigating] non Flickr members can't see my pics
Latest: 3 hours ago
Replacing photos
Latest: 3 hours ago
Extreme bias in moderation bot
Latest: 4 hours ago
[Monitoring Fix] Site is slow again
Latest: 4 hours ago
Login nightmare . . .
Latest: 10 hours ago
Cant remeber login
Latest: 18 hours ago
[Acknowledged by Flickr Staff] Adding to Showcase Problem
Latest: 22 hours ago
Waiting for combo.static.flickr.com
Latest: 23 hours ago
I can't see or make comments on friends' pix
Latest: 24 hours ago
views
Latest: 24 hours ago
More...

Search the Help Forum

Flickr removed from Google Chromecast Ambient Mode

Dave Smith says:

For years I have had various Flickr albums running as a random slideshow on my Google Chromecast when it's in Ambient Mode. This has been especially nice over the last year since lockdown has meant we cannot travel, and so it's been great to see photos of our past travels on the big screen in the living room.

Today, suddenly (literally an hour ago), my Chromecast reverted to showing the default "general" Art Gallery images. I went in to the Google Home app and found that the option to use Flickr as a source for Ambient Mode is no longer available.

Please tell me this is just a glitch!! Will the functionality return soon?
Posted at 2:03PM, 25 February 2021 PDT ( permalink )

view photos

mag3737 says:

It's possible that this is a question to ask Google, not Flickr.
Posted 5 months ago. ( permalink )

view photos

David Jackmanson says:

[live-fts.flickr.com/photos/dfluff/] Dave Smith:

Same thing happened to me. Hope we can get some news. Pretty annoyed by it, I love seeing my photos in my loungeroom

view photos

tedeytan says:

Noted as well here - sudden removal of Flickr from ambient mode. I realize this is more likely a Google action (and I posted in their help community) but it’s good to know it’s not just me.

Frustrating because this is a nice feature allowing us to program our TVs as picture frames and the Apple TV Flickr app appears to be abandonware.

If anyone knows other options for this functionality or updates, please post!

Update: it’s now listed as a “Feature Update” that chromecast a have been switched from Facebook and Flickr to Art Gallery for ambient mode....
tedeytan edited this topic 5 months ago.

view photos

simonov says:

The more people allow themselves to depend upon Google for various aspects of their lives, the more disappointed they are bound to be. Google is nothing less than an evil monopoly out of an Upton Sinclair or Frank Norris novel.

view photos

mugwump says:

urgh, same here, and they revert to these ugly canned, super-clichée background photos...

view photos

Noah Tom says:

I've submitted "Feedback" to Google, no response yet. I hope this isn't permanent.

view photos

ernstkers says:

mag3737:

It's possible that this is a question to ask Google

Yep, and there is an answer on Twitter: twitter.com/madebygoogle/status/1365286442201608194

view photos

Flickr Staff

R L Catlow says:

Hi all,

It does seem that Google has disabled this feature.

We are currently looking into this, and will share updates as they arise.

view photos

Emteehed says:

this was my photo display for my wall...

so much better than those digital photo frames about the size of a post card....

bring it back

view photos

tedeytan says:

Impressed to see the CEO of Smugmug respond publicly on Twitter.

Even though this is a Google feature, I wonder about the possibilities of things under Flickr's control:

* Fixing up the Apple TV Flickr App, which is almost useful - screensaver functionality was never enabled

* Creating an Android TV (Google TV with Chromeccast) Flickr app & putting in the Google Play store

I think the writing was on the wall a few years ago when the Flickr functionality was moved into the "experimental features" section of their Home app.....too bad because Chromecast's implementation was extremely well done.

view photos

cliff_dive says:

Glad it's not just me. Interesting it coincides with the loss of unlimited Google photo storage too. One of those annoying drop-offs that reminds us that if we don't pay for a service we're not the customer but the product. At times like this I rather dislike Google.

view photos

ashwani2310 says:

mag3737:

Google have informed me that this is due to removal of an experimental software kit when they updated Google Home recently. This software related to sharing of Flickr and Facebook images in “ambient mode” on Chromecast.

Presently, one needs to stream photos in one’s Google Photos albums in their “ambient mode”.

view photos

WillemNYC says:

Having my photos display on my 2 Google Hub displays was a big reason for me to upgrade to flickr pro subscription. I might have to move everything over to Google if this feature doesn't come back...

view photos

simonov says:

WillemNYC:

I might have to move everything over to Google if this feature doesn't come back..

Um, that was the plan.

view photos

ashwani2310 says:

WillemNYC:

move everything over to Google

I find the Ambient Mode on Chromecast streams a slide-show of just a few of the images in a designated Google Photos album. So everything moved to Google photos may not show up in the ambient mode on Chromecast.

view photos

ajhm44 says:

The only thing I use chromecast for. Rather essential.

view photos

YlvaS says:

Hope this will work again, reason to keep the Flickr account.

view photos

Evert Vandeberg says:

Google makes good products. However, they are unreliable. Therefore, I will never switch to Google photo. They let you immerse yourself in their possibilities, which takes a lot of time because it is usually developed very user-unfriendly, and then just brutally remove it without any hesitation. They have now done this again with Flickr photo. Unreliable.

view photos

chris_damhuis says:

Same problem here. No need to keep. Flickr if this feature on Chromecast will be disabled.

Maybe it's possible to give the Flickr app a slideshow mode and chromecast stream button?

view photos

PopuliPictureFrame says:

Evert Vandeberg:

Completely agree: Dispayling Flickr via Chromecast was my only use case. No need for Flickr anymore if that doesn't work. And definitely no reason to move to Google. So, that is how a loose-loose-loose situation really looks like!
PopuliPictureFrame edited this topic 5 months ago.

view photos

Яick Harris says:

Use photos.google.com -- problem solved
Posted 4 months ago. ( permalink )

view photos

gmangeret says:

Is there a petition anywhere to bring back this feature?
It's a huge disappointment for me and I don't want to switch to google photo being fine with flickr ...

view photos

nestje says:

Яick Harris:

We don't pay for pro accounts for nothing ;)

view photos

wildhareuk says:

nestje:

Unfortunately, this is not a Flickr problem. Google tend to drop features pretty much without warning. Picasaweb had the possibility of being brilliant, but it went the way of many things Google.

view photos

a.hesketh says:

Dave Smith:

And Google has steadily crippled their ambient mode display of photos. It used to be you could select the album to be displayed, but now the only direct control you have is to mark photos as favorites and turn off Google's photo curation.

But you can only mark multiple photos as favourites from the main photo display - you can't mark multiple photos as favorites from within an album. So the album I had built up over a few years is no longer usable as a screen saver.

Google removed the ability to select a specific album sometime last year and it shows no sign of coming back. Not sure of their logic, but it is definitely not friendly to their customers.

I suspect that they believe their AI will do a better job of curating photos than we will.

And removing Flickr and Facebook is clearly an anti-competition move. I wonder what the EU will think of that.

view photos

Flickr Staff

R L Catlow says:

Hi all,

Unfortunately this is not something that can be fixed from our side. That being said we are trying to work with Google to get this feature back up and running.

If we hear any updates, we’ll be sure to report back.

view photos

dmoranphotog says:

R L Catlow:

Thanks for working on this!

view photos

EYESONUPHOTO says:

Dave Smith:
"Made By Google
@madebygoogle
Replying to
@MrMNightingale
Hey Matt, thanks for reaching out. Flickr and Facebook photos are no longer available as backdrops for photo frames on Chromecast. You can choose from your favorite albums in Google Photos or art gallery — we're always here if you have more questions."- link=> twitter.com/madebygoogle/status/1365286442201608194

This thread was closed automatically due to a lack of responses over the last month.

Subscribe to a feed of stuff on this page... Feed – Subscribe to help discussion threads