Help / The Help Forum

This thread has been closed by Flickr Staff.

Hot Topics

[Official Thread] Have an idea for Flickr? Share it here.
Latest: 3 hours ago
New Flickr Notifications Center and Settings available to all members.
Latest: 31 hours ago
[Updated April 26, 2021] Flickr is moving payments to Stripe
Latest: 10 months ago
Welcome to the Flickr Help Forum! Click here to get started and to read our Forum Guidelines.
Latest: 15 months ago

Current Discussion

I cannot see pictures only comments and other details
Latest: 27 minutes ago
Is this a bug in the Feed?
Latest: 80 minutes ago
Do we keep the RSS feed for activity/notifications?
Latest: 2 hours ago
User links in notifications bug?
Latest: 3 hours ago
ignore
Latest: 4 hours ago
Is it Flickr? Users? or Is it Me? - Views & Comments vastly reduced.
Latest: 6 hours ago
[BUG?] For a same Photograph, Numbers of shots dispalyed different between Pool Justifed and Squar view (Admin view)
Latest: 6 hours ago
forum for constructive feedback on new notifications
Latest: 9 hours ago
totally confused by sunset happenings
Latest: 10 hours ago
Thumbnail problem
Latest: 13 hours ago
[Acknowledged by Flickr Staff] Organizr still messing up album cover photos
Latest: 14 hours ago
Uploading
Latest: 15 hours ago
More...

Search the Help Forum

[Updated August 19 with Archiving Old Content] Rollout of New Flickr Notifications Center and Settings

Flickr Staff

Leticia Roncero says:

================

We’ve created a new thread so that we can continue the conversation, help folks onboard to the new notifications experience, and to address any questions that may arise.

For those that mentioned issues impacting the Recent Activity page, please read this update.

================

This thread is a continuation of our original post here.

================

Today we’ve begun rolling out the new Flickr Notifications Center and Notifications Settings pages, which will simplify how you engage with other members of the community. We have included an FAQ in our Help Center, but we also wanted to share information and get your feedback here.

We’re expanding the current notifications from the bell icon at the top of Flickr and introducing a new tab for groups you admin. We’re also introducing a new Notifications Center page so you can see your notifications with more screen real estate.

The Notifications Center
The Notifications Center represents the first step to rebuilding the Recent Activity page to function more like modern notification centers. As such, there are a couple of significant changes in the way we’re presenting data in the new design that you’ll experience. To access the Notifications Center, click on the bell icon in the navigation bar at the top of Flickr, and at the bottom of the dropdown, you’ll see the link that used to read “View Recent Activity” now reads “View all notifications.” When you click that, you’ll be taken to the new Notifications Center.

Notifications Settings Page
The new Notifications Settings page, allows you to turn on or mute notifications by type.This page gives you complete control over your in-site notifications as well as email notifications to decide what you’re notified about, how you’re notified, and even how often. To access the Notifications Settings page, click on the bell icon in the navigation bar at the top of Flickr and you’ll notice a new gear icon that will take you to the Notifications Settings page.

You can now control the following web and email notifications:

Web Notifications
- Comments on your photos
- Comments on photos you’ve commented on
- Faves
- Followers
- Galleries
- Groups (you can manage notifications for each of your groups from here)
- Group invitations
- Messages (FlickrMail)
- Notes
- Tags
- Testimonials

Emails we send you
- Activity on you or your photos (Off/Immediately/Once per day/Once per week)
- Group Invitations
- Messages (FlickrMail)
- New followers
- Recent uploads from people you follow (Off/Immediately/Once per day/Once per week)

Group Admins
For groups, we’ve added new notification types to let you know when admins update the group admin blast, as well as group description and rules. Additionally, group admins will now see notifications for the groups they admin as a separate tab so they can easily sort out the priority updates for their groups from personal notifications and from groups they don’t admin.

Please explore these new features and share your thoughts with us here.

* How are you planning on using the new features and how will they be beneficial to you and your activity on Flickr?
* Are you finding everything easy to use or do you have suggestions for improvements?
* As you start using the new Notifications Center, we'd love to hear how it keeps you in the loop with the people you follow and the groups that you're part of. Or, is there activity you feel like you're still missing?

We'll be slowly rolling out the feature to a small percentage of the community, then ramping up throughout the week as we monitor and feel good about the progress.

We really appreciate your time and feedback!

Thanks,

===============

Edits:

March 2, 2021: Staff response to feedback about the option to turn on or off notifications for all groups at once and additional follow-ups.

===============
March 3, 2021:

New ‘Options’ in your Groups page
As we are rolling out the new Notifications, you’ll also see updates to your Groups list page, where all of your groups are displayed. We’ve changed the name of “Faved Groups” to “Pinned Groups” to avoid conflating with the action of faveing photos/videos. Pinning a group will keep that group at the top of your list. There’s also a new column called Options, which lets you manage group notifications, show or hide groups from your activity feed, and more. If you desire, you can use the Options column on the Groups list page to mute/unmute each of your groups.

Group Discussion Notifications
Now, all group members will receive notifications for new group discussions. These notifications were previously only available to group admins and moderators. We hope this keeps you in the loop on more group discussions!

===============
March 11, 2021: Staff response to feedback about group notifications, mention notifications, pinned groups, and new ways to mute all notifications from a group.

===============
March 31, 2021: Staff update on managing comments and persististing notification filters in Notifications.

===============
April 15, 2021: Staff update on the increased size of the Notifications Center page.

===============
August 19, 2021: Notifications updates with archiving old content + changes to the Recent Activity page.
Posted at 2:49PM, 26 February 2021 PDT ( permalink )
Leticia Roncero (staff) edited this topic 3 weeks ago.

(101 to 200 of 624 replies in [Updated August 19 with Archiving Old Content] Rollout of New Flickr Notifications Center and Settings)
view photos

Ian Cundell says:

Leticia Roncero:

Looks good, but for me it tirned almost everything off by default, which also stopped them showing up in the iOS app...
Posted 7 months ago. ( permalink )

view photos

valuable school says:

Why can't you just leave well enough alone! This is not easier or better than what we had. Thank for another blunder that we are paying more for.

view photos

existence. says:

I like it, great improvements. thank you

view photos

JBAdams says:

Leticia Roncero:

Though it's taking a bit of time getting used to it, I find it helpful to have information I would not otherwise have been aware of in one convenient place. For instance, I would not have known previously which photos had been accepted or rejected from certain groups, or what changes admins make to group rules. Good change that puts more information at my fingertips.

view photos

Waffle Whiffer says:

I prefer the Recent Activity view. The new Notifications view only shows a portion of the responses that people post. I'd rather see their whole response right there instead of having to click a link to view more.

view photos

roberke says:

Het lijkt in orde .

view photos

jacquemart says:

I think it is agreat new feature, much improved! Thank you.

view photos

Mike.Dales says:

I am not sure if it is am improvement or not? The only way I can find that you access the notification centre is via the blue header? However on the Android app I can no longer follow someone directly from the notification page on there.
What would be a huge improvement to me on the Android app is the ability to add a photo to one of my Galleries using the app rather than having to find the picture on the website.
Mike.Dales edited this topic 7 months ago.

view photos

steve_whitmarsh says:

A marked improvement on what it was and a lot clearer.
One thing I have noticed though, the highlighted notifications (those you haven't seen yet) are nicely highlighted in blue. However, only the first 30 seem to be highlighted after that, they're plain white as if you've seen them.

For example I've woken up this morning and got 34 notifications, which isn't unusual, but only the first 30 were highlighted meaning 4 weren't even though I haven't seen them.

Since we all sleep for at least 8 hours notifications quite often build up to levels higher than 30, is this something that can be look at.

view photos

simontheintrepid says:

Needs an option to turn off all group-related activity. I am in a lot of groups, to turn these off individually is a pain. Otherwise it looks like my notifications will be flooded with 'XXX has updated group rules' type posts which is really annoying. I wasn't getting these before, have they all been defaulted to on?

view photos

mcnod says:

simontheintrepid:

my notifications will be flooded with 'XXX has updated group rules'

I would think that a change in a group's rules would be something of interest and importance ...

view photos

Brujo+ says:

I agree with those who think it is an improvement. I mean the desktop page. I don't know in the app how it looks or works, since I´ve always considered the app to be less functional than the desktop page.

view photos

galilea.kessen says:

I miss picture info: views, faves, comments. Must click picture to go to that page. Before, it was right there in recent activity next to picture.

I like easier contact, no longer must click to add as contact, go to their page, click yes, come back to place in recent activity list. Good!

:-)

GK

view photos

scattered1 says:

Thanks for trying to improve the experience, but group notifications need more work. I belong to a lot of groups. I don't want notifications from most of them. I shouldn't have to turn notifications off for each group individually. There should be a way to indicate that I want to treat a subset of groups individually and then set notifications for the rest in one operation. Also, when I manage group notifications the groups appear to be listed in a random order, which makes it very difficult to find a group to change its setting. Is there a reason they can't be shown in alphabetical order, as they are in "Organize"?

I would hope that early testing with users would identify some of these issues before they are rolled out to the entire community. If you need more testers, I'd be happy to help.

view photos

andrea_perego says:

Leticia Roncero:

I keep receiving the same notification of someone opening a new thread in some group, and the notification is always 1 second ago. So no, sorry, this doesn’t work.

view photos

Luis Mª Lainsa says:

Me parece muy interesante, todas las novedades son buenas.
Les agradecería que además del inglés , usen también el español en sus comunicados.
Muchas gracias y saludos.

view photos

Lenaprof says:

Please, tell me how I can go back to the previous form of notifications. Most notifications are just junk mail. I can't even see the main notifications.

view photos

A.Reef (slow) says:

I tried notifications in my Android Flickr app several years ago but decided that the Recent Activity web page suits me better. Looking at the new Notification functionality, I find some interesting kinds of info there, like invites to publish my photos in groups which have been sitting there for a long time unnoticed or forgotten. Some other kinds, like group activity, seems targeted to group admins rather than for regular users.

Since there is a dozen of notification kinds in All Notifications, I would recommend to add checkboxes against each of them and [Set as Default] button. That would allow users to choose what they like to know most often - and if one day they decide to see something else they still could.

view photos

su-sa-ni-ta says:

Luis Mª Lainsa:

Me sumo a tu pedido.Gracias

view photos

IkTom says:

I think this is going to take some getting used to, but it's a definite improvement.

The only big issue I have with it is there is no way to mark notifications as "read". Simply clicking on the bell, and bringing the menu down, sometimes makes it go away, but then a few minutes later it reappears with the same notifications. A refresh also make it come back.

I also seem to be getting the same notifications over and over again. Several of these are from ten years ago.
IkTom edited this topic 7 months ago.

view photos

Jan Timmons-too says:

Bravo! Excellent additions to knowing what’s happening and deciding what’s most important to know and to view. Thank you.

view photos

DaveGray says:

Really need a way to manage all groups, with detailed global groups setting e.g. Admin Notices, new photos, comments on posts, comments on comments, but apply to all groups, rather than per group on or off

view photos

mag3737 says:

mcnod:

I would think that a change in a group's rules would be something of interest and importance ...

Yes and no. Some very active "daily" or "weekly" theme groups (understandably) update/advertise each new theme in as many visible places as possible -- the blast, the group description, and at least 1 or maybe 2 discussion topics. If you're participating actively in the group, you probably are visiting the group page regularly, and might not need or want so much news cluttering your notifications.

Plus, many people who are in these groups tend to be in more than one of them.

view photos

Ðariusz says:

Leticia Roncero:

Hi, I don't think I mind this at all. Seems legit and doesn't affect me really. I would like to ask if you can create an interface that caters more to a dark mode. Many software packages have this and looking at photos with a dark background is really great for the eyes.

Also, could Flickr please, please fix the problem of scrolling of the "people" when you're seeing their photos. This is a well known problem that hasn't been fixed for a decade, I'd say. So I'm not sure why there is absolutely nobody on this massive problem. Thanks
Dariusz

view photos

Tucpasquic says:

Would it be possible to add a feature to disable notification for all groups I don't manage at once?
I could then subscribe manually to groups of special interests.
I have quite a number of groups and I'd find it cumbersome to disable them one by one.
Thanks

view photos

Ironmonger says:

notification change is just change for the sake of change ,pointless

view photos

stevebanfield says:

You've completely broken notifications on the mobile app so while the visibility of notifications in the browser has improved, you've taken two steps back in the process. Why did you release this feature in this manner?

view photos

Marcia Milner-Brage says:

The way things are is highly functional. Why mess with it? Recent Activity is oft-used. Leave it.

view photos

helenehoffman says:

I would like to turn off group notifications globally and not do it one at a time.

view photos

khalid almasoud says:

Wonderful changes, radiance and success.

view photos

g-liu says:

And group notifications are opt-OUT by default. What were you smoking? Now I get 20+ notifications A DAY since I'm in a lot of groups. You could've made them opt-IN by default so I only get notifications for the groups I care about. I could give less of a rats ass about a group I joined 3 years ago in which I posted ONE picture.

view photos

rondeel says:

For me this doesn't always work. There is a red number by the bell, but the drop-down is blank/empty. (I haven't turned off anything.) I click "All notifications" at the bottom of the drop-down, but still nothing. Then when i return to My Photostream, hit the bell again (no red number now), the drop-down fills nicely with all my recent notifications. So, if the latter is how it's supposed to work, I'm all for it. But please also make it work the first time/click.

view photos

comedy_nose says:

I can see how the filtering options could be a benefit to high traffic users, which I'm not.

What I'm missing is that in the old 'view all activity' window I could see comments on my photos in full. Now I only get breadcrumbs and have to check each photo individually. For me personally, that's a backward step.

view photos

mtnguy says:

Well done....much better!

view photos

lise.portugal says:

It sucks and inutil !!
Too much information for nothing !!

view photos

Amorenna Sierra-Sulfur says:

I'm finding the notification for group updates such as blast information / new threads, and being alerted when my photo has been approved / rejected in the waiting queue to be HIGHLY annoying. I am in 300+ groups, and I am not real interested in clicking 300+ times to uncheck these notifications. PLEASE give us the option to deselect group updates in bulk.

Other than this, I like the look and whatnot. Took a second to get used to.

view photos

ᗩnne♡j ♥ ~poetic photography says:

I click on the bell that tells me I have 2 ... then find I have none... or four.
Nothing is consistent and the figure rarely complies accurately.

Admin for four groups, I hate the fact that group notifications are included. Nothing tallies. Even turning off for different actions, my groups are still lumped with general notifications.

I can see the thought that has been put into this (perhaps better served on many other lacking areas) but....... reading the majority of feedback above, it’s clearly not working effectively or efficiently,

I’m hoping you listen to all and amend accordingly.

Presently I’m reverting to using the app and/ or recent activities. This I will continue with..... but this rather defeats the object of giving us all these changes.

It is very much information overload. . which wouldn’t be so bad if it works without error.

view photos

LA White (read profile) says:

New notifications not working at all, blank box on both PC (Chrome) and on iPhone app.

view photos

Melanie Leeson says:

It's great but I never get more than 1 notification in the red ball when there are more. I would like to see a notification for mail I have to go to that page to see if I have new mail. Overall nice work Flickr :)

view photos

Bill Rosmus says:

Next steps:

1) You need to limit "replies to my comments" only to actual replies to the comment, not every comment that was posted after my comment.
Almost certainly requires number 2 to actually work.

2) You need to provide threaded comments and display as threaded.
To do this you need to store the parent-child relationships between the comments, which will allow you to selectively display nested comments and/or comments associated with a specific parent comment only. The relationship will need to be recorded/stored at the moment the comment is saved/posted.

view photos

Scarlet Pimpernel says:

Leticia Roncero:

I've been off air most of the time for some weeks now. I've tried this but it gives no information like the last few comments given like it does on the old Recent Activity page does. If the Old Recent Activity page goes then it will be likely that weeks off air will turn into months off air.

Thanks for listening :-)

view photos

neo_indra says:

Help! My notifications aren't updating. I have the same ones from two days ago even though I have new followers and new comments on photos.

view photos

Pietro__c says:

Nice update, how can I make sure I don't get notifications about topics in groups or group updates in general?

view photos

Archi & Philou says:

Very good, I like that !
Particularly the activities on the groups that I manage as administrator or moderator.
And I appreciate to be informed that my photos have been accepted in groups when an invitation is required.

view photos

caribb says:

Leticia Roncero:

It's better.. thanks!

view photos

sps1955 says:

This is going to be a long post, but I hope that it may be helpful to staff, at least.

The new notifications were rolled out to me between Friday night and Saturday morning, UK time. I was initially confused by what I saw on the new notifications page ( www.flickr.com/notifications/ ) until I looked at the settings page ( www.flickr.com/account/email ) where I saw that all notifications were turned off except for "Groups" and "Group notifications". I suppose that these settings were introduced as the default for new recipients of the new system in reaction to the complaints that users were getting too many notifications but I think that a better approach would have been to replicate by default the notifications that we were getting via the bell before the changes. Then users could have been advised to go to the notification settings page to extend the range of notifications received, or to customize what they were already receiving. If a significant number of users still haven't received the new notifications system, could that approach be adopted? It would seem to me to resolve many of the issues raised above about people getting notifications that they don't want and not being able to turn off group notifications without changing the setting for each group in turn. It might also resolve the comments from some people that notifications are not updating, if they have been given the same default settings as me and have not visited the notifications settings page to see how much is turned off.

Initially, I didn't change my settings. What notifications did I see (on my quiet and peaceful account)?

Firstly, I received notifications of replies to my comments that had been specifically addressed to me. There seems to be no option to turn these off as they've recently been separated out from the generality of comments on my comments. That's fair enough. And, so far as I can see, the bell is reacting correctly to them and the list that I see on the notifications page is complete and up to date.

Looking at specific categories of notification, in most cases I saw nothing, which corresponded to the notifications settings that I had. The exceptions were:

Faves (set to off): Under this heading I got an incomplete list of photos that I fav'ed between 5 and 9 years ago. If I clicked the three dots next to a thumbnail, the options included following or blocking myself. This was odd!
However, it may not matter much since I don't imagine many users will keep notifications of faves turned off once they find the settings! Once I turned notifications of faves on, the results seem to be as expected but they prompt a couple of comments:
Firstly, someone with access to my "Friends and family" photos fav'ed in a single session 45 photos that had been fav'ed by nobody else - on the new notification page, I cannot see what all 45 photos were, although I can on the old recent activity page.
Secondly, the new notification page perpetuates something that irritated me about the previous notifications system. If somebody faves a photo that (say) five other people fav'ed on a previous day, I get a notification that "xxx and 5 others faved "yyy"" - yet the number of new faves was one, not six!

Groups (set to on): I see two entries relating to replies posted in discussion topics 4 years ago. I don't belong to many groups and most of those to which I do belong don't have much in the way of discussions, but these are emphatically not the most up-to-date posts or topics in groups to which I belong (even if the one group in which I'm an administrator is excluded here, as I suspect might be the case.) Do I see only four-year old posts because I have excluded these two groups from my feed, but the notifications still show me posts that precede that decision?

Group invitations: The information here is probably up to date, assuming that invitations to submit a photo to a group disappear once they are accepted or rejected, as seems to be the case.

Finally, like others who have posted above, I regret the way that the new notifications page shows so little of each comment, even though there is ample space (on my laptop screen, at least) to show more.
sps1955 edited this topic 7 months ago.

view photos

jagar41_ Juan Antonio says:

El cambio está bien, me gusta.

view photos

♫ marc.l'esperance says:

The new notification centre control panel is fatally flawed with respect to group notifications.

I don't want group notifications cluttering up my notifications, but to turn them off I have to manually select EVERY SINGLE GROUP I belong to.

FIX PLEASE.

view photos

Redfishingboat (Mick O) says:

All notifications for anyone faving any of my photos have disappeared from my Notifications. Even faves before the change have disappeared from Notifications. Is that one of the intended aspects of the change? If so, then I am not a fan.

view photos

sps1955 says:

Scarlet Pimpernel:

neo_indra:

Redfishingboat (Mick O):

Have you looked at the notification settings page ( www.flickr.com/account/email )? When the new notifications system was rolled out to me a couple of days ago, I found that all notifications (except those relating to groups) were turned off, which could explain what you are seeing.

view photos

anthroview says:

I won't bother engaging anymore. The old version allowed me to view and act on pings from others. The new way requires multiple clicking. loading, and scrolling. Meh!

view photos

Rikx says:

The previous 'Recent Activity' is preferred, greatly, over this new system. Please don't remove 'Recent Activity.' Leave it in its present form. Please stop trying to fix things which are NOT broken.

view photos

arminabijoux says:

Beforehand, I wasn't getting instant-notes about my photos being approved or rejected. Now I am and I can't seem to turn this particular feature off. I am finding it very bothersome, and I guess would rather have no notifications now. My 2 cents.

Also - I noticed the only way I could seem to fix it would be to manually turn off every single group - surely there must be ANOTHER way to fix the groups options??? Thanks!
arminabijoux edited this topic 7 months ago.

view photos

katlamsib says:

Why the same group notification still pops up even after i have checket it?

view photos

JoelDeluxe says:

too much! i should be able to disable all group notifications! not one by one. ridiculous

view photos

diamond geezer says:

In the old Notification Centre I could click on 'No thanks' when someone invited a photo to a group.

I can no longer find a 'No thanks' option, so am unable to remove unwanted invitations.

view photos

mag3737 says:

diamond geezer:

I can no longer find a 'No thanks' option, so am unable to remove unwanted invitations.

There's a "Decline" button (which doesn't actually remove/hide the invitation), and if you look under the "three dots" at the far right, there's a further "Mute notification" command ... which doesn't actually seem to work for me. :-/

view photos

Andrea48Blz (on/off) says:

Good idea! But, as many persons have noted here, not all the features are working: Today I cannot see the groups invitation

view photos

galilea.kessen says:

re: grp notice

I in 450+ grps, have only 8 grp notice in last 14d. Not too much.

:-)

GK

view photos

RLD52 says:

The old "Recent activity" layout was perfect - I could see a nice compact summary of activity on my photos, with the settings alongside so that I could manage them with one click in the dropdown (e.g. to filter out Favourites so that I could see the more substantial things like comments). Now I have to go to the Notifications Center to change the setting. There I can see a list the notifications themselves, but in such a spread-out format (are you copying Facebook?) - and with such a tiny thumbnail of the photo - that it's impossible to follow what's going on. I then have to go back to Recent Activity and refresh the page before the settings change.
Completely pointless and retrograde change IMO.

view photos

Flickr Staff

R L Catlow says:

steve_whitmarsh:

Thanks for flagging this behavior, I will report this to the rest of the team.

view photos

Flickr Staff

R L Catlow says:

LA White (read profile):

Melanie Leeson:

neo_indra:

katlamsib:

Sending over emails now to dig in further.

Thanks!

view photos

Patrick Sudre says:

Super ! C'est bien pensé et bien pratique.
Bravo !

view photos

kellykhorne says:

Where is the dislike button. I don't need to be notified when a group I belong to makes a change. I only want to be notified when someone likes or comments on my images.

view photos

Stewf says:

Happy with the new page in general, but it seems to be optimized for mobile only. There's a lot of empty space on desktop screens that could maybe be better utilized with larger images and more info (such as all the names of past favers).

view photos

Cardwell Photo LLC | Thanks for 8 Million Views! says:

In a long history of bad decisions, this is by far the most disastrous.

It renders the site virtually unusable.

Instead of the customizable notifications system, this new one turns Flickr into a firehose of unwanted, irrelevant garbage.

Instead of the filtered, organized notification system that allows users to choose what notifications they want to see, we are now flooded with notifications of every post on every group; of every new thread or question on every discussion; of every comment on every image, and who knows what else.

All of it is on by default, and the only way to turn it off is to select every group one at a time and flip each poorly responsive switch.

The only notifications any of us needs are:
- likes and comments on our photos,
- responses to discussion threads we are active on, and
- notifications about moderation tasks in groups we administer or moderate.

Apparently, the people making these changes do not use Flickr or understand how Flickr users interact with the site. Even so, I can't imagine any programmer thinking someone would want to be flooded with notifications about everything that happens on Flickr.

If you are determined to get rid of the sophisticated and well-crafted notifications system, and replace it with this, at the very least include a master off-switch.

view photos

Mike Head - targetair_images says:

I jump too quick to comment, when I haven't worked through the process, if parent SM oversees this then it is done well. So I will hold fire commenting till I take the time to figure out the changes.

view photos

UnknownVincent says:

May seem Flickr is trying to improve things.

BUT clicking on the Bell icon only shows there are notifications instead of DIRECTLY showing those notifications -
why another click on show all notifications just to view my notifications?

Have Flickr actually used this at all?

Sorry this is a BACKWARD step!

view photos

hd.niel says:

IMO this update is totally useless and much slower loading. Please return me to the older system.
Thank you

view photos

Flickr Staff

Leticia Roncero says:

Hi, all. Thanks for sharing your feedback about having an option to turn on or off notifications for all groups at once. We beta tested these changes with hundreds of members before the rollout and have had several internal conversations about this particular request. We intentionally made the decision not to include this. Here is more context around why:

Over the last few years, the overwhelming feedback that we've heard from our members is that they would like group conversations to be easier to follow. They want to know when and where group activity is happening so they can take part in these communities. Group admins also want to effectively use groups for communication with the confidence that their members will hear them when they have an update to share.

We believe that effective communication is necessary to maintain active and meaningful interactions in groups. Having a setting to turn notifications off for all your groups at once would defeat this purpose.

This means that some of you will need to go back and manually curate your group notifications. You only need to do this once. We also heard your feedback that it would be easier to manage your group notifications if the group list was presented in alphabetical order, and we are working on this change.

We'll continue to monitor your feedback on this and other issues, including your questions about adding more granular options for group notifications, and continue using your feedback to inform changes. Last week, your feedback helped us quickly discover and fix a bug related to how we were rolling out these changes. This is generally why we roll changes out slowly and we appreciate you taking the time to voice when things don't appear to be working as they should. Since then, we're happy to hear that many of you are finding value in these new notifications and the notifications center.

As a reminder, you can set your notification preferences here and find all the details about these changes in our Help Center article.

Some additional updates:
---------------------------------

New ‘Options’ in your Groups page: As we are rolling out the new Notifications, you’ll also see updates to your Groups list page, where all of your groups are displayed. We’ve changed the name of “Faved Groups” to “Pinned Groups” to avoid conflating with the action of faveing photos/videos. Pinning a group will keep that group at the top of your list. There’s also a new column called Options, which lets you manage group notifications, show or hide groups from your activity feed, and more. If you desire, you can use the Options column on the Groups list page to mute/unmute each of your groups.

Notifications when others comment on photos you've commented on: This setting is now turned off by default. If you'd like to enable it again, click here to toggle on "Comments on photos you've commented on."

Mentions: When someone mentions you in a comment you will receive a notification, even if you have the "Comments on photos you've commented on" notification turned off. We'll soon have a specific setting to control mentions, as well as a filter so you can just view mentions if that's your preference.

Thank you!
Leticia Roncero (staff) edited this topic 7 months ago.

view photos

lakaluka says:

Hello,
I am not sure if its only me, but now if someone tags my name in the people section under his/her photo, I dont get a notification about it at all, Tags option in my settings is On tho, anyone else having this issue or is it just me?
EDIT: I like the new notification system, awesome job

view photos

Flickr Staff

R L Catlow says:

hd.niel:

I am sorry to hear you are experiencing slow performance. I am sending over an email now to grab some more details.

Also sending over an email to dig in further.

Thanks!

view photos

lakaluka says:

R L Catlow:

I appreciate that and appreciate the quick response, thank you very much

view photos

luis costa says:

Leticia Roncero:

Can´t we have an option to the previous way?
i think it is much better the old way.

view photos

MastaBaba says:

I still don't have the new notification center :(

view photos

Suziecd/tv says:

Everything seems the same as it was before for me, not seen anything different ??

view photos

Ctuna8162 says:

As with all the "improvements" you make I'm sure I will adapt. Since I liked the way it was better than what I see so far perhaps you could list out the "default settings" to make it as much like the older version as possible??

view photos

johndecember says:

How could I turn off all of these improvements? I'd like the option, from now on, to not accept any new improvements to flickr as default ON, but by default OFF. Thanks.

view photos

Youchun Yao says:

New notification color does not show.

view photos

Stephen Wade Thomson says:

I liked it better when i didnt receive any notifications except personal mail messages because i don´t participate heavily in groups and comments. (But that´s just me: I´m not here to socialize, only to store my photos)

view photos

Vanessafb2 says:

It is awful, the previous way was much quicker, better & easier. When you click on the Notification Icon nothing happens. You then have to actually click a second time on the link to get the Notifications to open in another window.

view photos

Jef Poskanzer says:

Leticia Roncero:

We intentionally made the decision not to include this.

I've seen Twitter do this a lot - decide that they know what users want better than the users do. This is the first time I've seen it at Flickr though.

You will be reversing this decision eventually, might as well do it sooner rather than later after getting beaten up a lot.

view photos

Kaiden Nova says:

It's probably been mentioned, but when groups change a description, we get notified which seems unnecessary. Personally, I don't really care too much if a group changes its description or not and I feel like the majority of people would agree. Can this be an option to remove these kinds of notifications?

view photos

mcnod says:

Jef Poskanzer:

This is the first time I've seen it at Flickr though

You have forgotten the Fred/Zeta "New Photo Experience" photo page redesign. (2014? - pre/SmugMug for sure)

The difference this time might be that most users do not belong to 1.4k groups. As a group administrator, I like the granular approach implemented here and granted, I belong to less than 50 group total.

view photos

Phil's 1stPix says:

what was wrong with the old recent activity?

maybe focus your efforts on actually improving flickr?

view photos

Viejito says:

mcnod:

2014?
May 20, 2013, a day that will live in infamy...🙄
Viejito edited this topic 7 months ago.

view photos

mcnod says:

Viejito:

May 20, 2013

Ha!

view photos

ChrisRSouthland says:

Yes, please keep the “recent activity” section where it is and how it is. No need to change what isn’t broken.

Are you aware that since the change the “counting faves” function in the iPhone and IPad app isn’t working anymore? It would be nice if you could fix thais as soon as possible.

view photos

♫ marc.l'esperance says:

quote - "This means that some of you will need to go back and manually curate your group notifications. You only need to do this once." end quote.

Thank you for deciding how flickr works best for me - not.

Give me the option to turn off all group notifications in one step so I can then enable to receive notifications for the few groups I use regularly.

Over the years I have posted photos in so many groups and I may or may not ever use those groups again.

Why are you forcing me to spend tedious hours turning off notifications for EVERY SINGLE GROUP. Leaving all those groups would also involve even more pointless mouse clicking and take even longer, and I may someday want to post in them again, which would mean rejoining. Dumb.

My notifications number used to give me an idea of recent activity ON MY PHOTOS. Now it is meaningless, cluttered and mostly a waste of time in checking.

view photos

♫ marc.l'esperance says:

Cardwell Photo LLC | Thanks for 7 Million Views!:

yes, 100%

view photos

Steve Crane says:

It's too early for me to have a good picture of how this will work for me but here are my initial thoughts.

I think that making group activity visible is a good thing. I don't understand why there are complaints about being notified of group rejections. Often I found myself unsure of why a particular image was not in a group; had I never submitted it or was it rejected? There was no way to tell, so I like that there now is.

Moderation items on the Groups You Admin tab of the Notifications pull down and Notifications page, are useless. Seeing just a thumbnail size of the image doesn't give enough info to decide whether I want to approve it or not. I find I have to click on the Pending queue link anyway so I can see the small, but large enough, images there to guide my decision.

While making new notification types visible is a good thing, I hope that the existing Recent Activity and particularly Activity on my photos view will remain, in parallel with the new notifications. Sometimes notifications will serve well but often I would like to view the more report like format the current activity pages offer.

view photos

Scarlet Pimpernel says:

Leticia Roncero:

Over the last few years, the overwhelming feedback that we've heard from our members is that they would like group conversations to be easier to follow. They want to know when and where group activity is happening so they can take part in these communities. Group admins also want to effectively use groups for communication with the confidence that their members will hear them when they have an update to share.

I agree with that. Personally I've only ever wanted the see groups discussions in the old Recent Activity pages with the option to toggle between photo comments and group discussion comments.

Flickr introduced the bell notifications a few years ago or when ever. I've never used the bell to see what actively is happening on my photos as it doesn't show any preview comments along with links and embedded photos.

For me the new Recent Activity centre notifications renders flickr unusable.
I'm certainly not going to spend time clicking on everything to get information that i can or could do instantly at a glance with only one or two clicks using the old Recent Activity.

view photos

elmahiko says:

Nice update!

view photos

Shane Jones says:

I don't want to know that someone has commented on a photo that I have commented on unless that comment relates to my comment. I can see this could clog up the notifications section with irrelevant notices.

view photos

House Of Secrets Incorporated says:

I don't like it. I liked the old system much better, because this is very chaotic and not to the point at all.
Also: wouldn't it be much more practical to get the reply section to a post straight behind said post, rather than making people scroll through all the reply pages just to be able to leave a comment? Now here's a change that would be one for the better! :)

view photos

Flickr Staff

R L Catlow says:

MastaBaba:

Suziecd/tv:

We are slowly rolling out the feature to a small percentage of the community, then ramping up throughout as we monitor the launch.

Thanks!

view photos

Padmacara says:

It's clunky, overworked, and keeps giving me invalid notifications.

I do like the 'An administrator has rejected' feature.

view photos

Flickr Staff

R L Catlow says:

Youchun Yao:

Vanessafb2:

Sending over an email to see what is going on.

Thanks!

view photos

beverleyplaya says:

Having just taken a look at the changes, I need to take a bit longer to give thought to this . . I could not see anything wrong with the previous layout really and so I am not sure . . will watch and see. BUT a quick query with regard to the notifications on updates of groups. Some groups are PRIVATE . . indeed should this not mean what it says PRIVATE and any updates or changes should surely not be made possible to be viewed by everyone ? I have a private group where I do my own updates to the groups I run . . where I make changes in advance before rolling them out . . I don't think this is of importance to anyone but me . . if its a private group . . private it should be and not available to everyone to see !

view photos

RTsan says:

Really DISLIKE the new changes: I use Flickr to relax. Now I have to schedule more time so that I am not inundated with notifications? A suggestion: have the default set to the way things were and people with FREE TIME can add more notifications. I am supposed to go through hundreds of groups and manually turn of notifications for each? Who thought this was a good idea? I am not retired, I have other demands on my time. This is egregious enough that I could leave Flickr.

This thread has been closed by Flickr Staff.

(101 to 200 of 624 replies in [Updated August 19 with Archiving Old Content] Rollout of New Flickr Notifications Center and Settings)
Subscribe to a feed of stuff on this page... Feed – Subscribe to help discussion threads