Help / The Help Forum

This thread has been closed by Flickr Staff.

Hot Topics

[Official Thread] Have an idea for Flickr? Share it here.
Latest: 2 days ago
New Flickr Notifications Center and Settings available to all members.
Latest: 3 months ago
[Updated April 26, 2021] Flickr is moving payments to Stripe
Latest: 12 months ago
Welcome to the Flickr Help Forum! Click here to get started and to read our Forum Guidelines.
Latest: 18 months ago

Current Discussion

How to Block an Admin of Pool which troll it since many yeras
Latest: 14 minutes ago
pending queue problem
Latest: 16 minutes ago
What has happened last night?
Latest: 63 minutes ago
[Monitoring Fix] Difficulty logging in
Latest: 67 minutes ago
[Monitoring Fix] View counter fixed
Latest: 85 minutes ago
Video's not showing up in photostream .
Latest: 8 hours ago
Photo,s not showing Problem
Latest: 9 hours ago
No email notifications
Latest: 10 hours ago
[Acknowledged by Flickr Staff] Extremely low views and faves
Latest: 16 hours ago
[Acknowledged by Flickr Staff] Recent Activity & Notifications - Very slow loading!
Latest: 17 hours ago
Favourite lists
Latest: 18 hours ago
CC license that remains full rights but allows use in a Neural Net (Machine Learning Project)
Latest: 20 hours ago
More...

Search the Help Forum

[Updated August 19 with Archiving Old Content] Rollout of New Flickr Notifications Center and Settings

Flickr Staff

Leticia Roncero says:

================

9/16/21: Summary of latest reply. If you have further questions or feedback about using the Notifications Center, please write to our Support team. The Recent Activity page will be sunset on December 15, 2021. Our latest reply also lists upcoming improvements that we'll be implementing based on your feedback and additional community feedback that we're taking into consideration.

================

This thread is a continuation of our original post here.

================

Today we’ve begun rolling out the new Flickr Notifications Center and Notifications Settings pages, which will simplify how you engage with other members of the community. We have included an FAQ in our Help Center, but we also wanted to share information and get your feedback here.

We’re expanding the current notifications from the bell icon at the top of Flickr and introducing a new tab for groups you admin. We’re also introducing a new Notifications Center page so you can see your notifications with more screen real estate.

The Notifications Center
The Notifications Center represents the first step to rebuilding the Recent Activity page to function more like modern notification centers. As such, there are a couple of significant changes in the way we’re presenting data in the new design that you’ll experience. To access the Notifications Center, click on the bell icon in the navigation bar at the top of Flickr, and at the bottom of the dropdown, you’ll see the link that used to read “View Recent Activity” now reads “View all notifications.” When you click that, you’ll be taken to the new Notifications Center.

Notifications Settings Page
The new Notifications Settings page, allows you to turn on or mute notifications by type.This page gives you complete control over your in-site notifications as well as email notifications to decide what you’re notified about, how you’re notified, and even how often. To access the Notifications Settings page, click on the bell icon in the navigation bar at the top of Flickr and you’ll notice a new gear icon that will take you to the Notifications Settings page.

You can now control the following web and email notifications:

Web Notifications
- Comments on your photos
- Comments on photos you’ve commented on
- Faves
- Followers
- Galleries
- Groups (you can manage notifications for each of your groups from here)
- Group invitations
- Messages (FlickrMail)
- Notes
- Tags
- Testimonials

Emails we send you
- Activity on you or your photos (Off/Immediately/Once per day/Once per week)
- Group Invitations
- Messages (FlickrMail)
- New followers
- Recent uploads from people you follow (Off/Immediately/Once per day/Once per week)

Group Admins
For groups, we’ve added new notification types to let you know when admins update the group admin blast, as well as group description and rules. Additionally, group admins will now see notifications for the groups they admin as a separate tab so they can easily sort out the priority updates for their groups from personal notifications and from groups they don’t admin.

Please explore these new features and share your thoughts with us here.

* How are you planning on using the new features and how will they be beneficial to you and your activity on Flickr?
* Are you finding everything easy to use or do you have suggestions for improvements?
* As you start using the new Notifications Center, we'd love to hear how it keeps you in the loop with the people you follow and the groups that you're part of. Or, is there activity you feel like you're still missing?

We'll be slowly rolling out the feature to a small percentage of the community, then ramping up throughout the week as we monitor and feel good about the progress.

We really appreciate your time and feedback!

Thanks,

===============

Edits:

March 2, 2021: Staff response to feedback about the option to turn on or off notifications for all groups at once and additional follow-ups.

===============
March 3, 2021:

New ‘Options’ in your Groups page
As we are rolling out the new Notifications, you’ll also see updates to your Groups list page, where all of your groups are displayed. We’ve changed the name of “Faved Groups” to “Pinned Groups” to avoid conflating with the action of faveing photos/videos. Pinning a group will keep that group at the top of your list. There’s also a new column called Options, which lets you manage group notifications, show or hide groups from your activity feed, and more. If you desire, you can use the Options column on the Groups list page to mute/unmute each of your groups.

Group Discussion Notifications
Now, all group members will receive notifications for new group discussions. These notifications were previously only available to group admins and moderators. We hope this keeps you in the loop on more group discussions!

===============
March 11, 2021: Staff response to feedback about group notifications, mention notifications, pinned groups, and new ways to mute all notifications from a group.

===============
March 31, 2021: Staff update on managing comments and persististing notification filters in Notifications.

===============
April 15, 2021: Staff update on the increased size of the Notifications Center page.

===============
August 19, 2021: Notifications updates with archiving old content + changes to the Recent Activity page.
Posted at 2:49PM, 26 February 2021 PST ( permalink )
cabb88 (staff) edited this topic 3 months ago.

(301 to 400 of 624 replies in [Updated August 19 with Archiving Old Content] Rollout of New Flickr Notifications Center and Settings)
view photos

Karen Kumz says:

help center letter very good. Make easier to understand how new not. page work.

KK
Posted 9 months ago. ( permalink )
Karen Kumz edited this topic 9 months ago.

view photos

Pietro__c says:

It would be great if I could choose not to receive any notification around topics or groups related things. The old notifications where great in my opinion

view photos

Dane Van says:

God, where is the OFF button. I've been using this site for 14 years now, and will you QUIT making changes that nobody wants? I also don't want to see your 'opinion pieces' on the main page. I removed Adobe from my life this year, and this may be next.

view photos

snjscuba : t'=t.(1-(v^2/c^2))^-1 says:

Please someone tell me how to stop getting group notifications that have nothing to do with me? I really don't want to get notifications whenever some posts a new topic like "how do I change the F number on my camera".

view photos

Sissy CD Brianne says:

Much prefer the old format! Far too much to plough through after logging on. I am capable of managing what I want to see all by myself. Please make it optional or drop this new format please. Thumbs down!!!

view photos

crumlinp says:

When will you stop updating this?
If something isn’t broken.......

view photos

Flickr Staff

katie_ko says:

hkavas :

Notifications always informing that "....... and +49 people faved your photo" even 120 people faved your photo.

It looks like the notification update has not yet been rolled out to your account. But good news--once your account is included in the ramp up, notification numbers will display more accurately.

view photos

mag3737 says:

katie_ko:

FWIW, the blue info bar on my Bell menu has reappeared two more times in the 20 hours since I last mentioned it. I have been on Flickr and accessed the menu many other times than that during that time period.

view photos

AdamUK12 says:

Could somebody please (Please!!) give me a way to stop receieving any notifications from groups. I realise you can choose individually, but i have lots of groups (a benefit of paying for the Pro). Surely there is a single box to cancel group notifications of any kind?

view photos

illywakka says:

oh yes Please! can I cancel group notifications it jams up the feed awfully.

view photos

mag3737 says:

In my case the "overwhelming" notifications seem to come from just a very small number of groups, compared to the hundreds of groups of which I'm a member.

To all those feeling overwhelmed: It's quicker to mute ONE group by just clicking on the "three dots" submenu on any single notification for that group. It does not actually "hide" that current notification, but it turns a lighter grey, and I'm wondering if maybe subsequent notifications would not arrive at all.

Does that help?

view photos

Thomas Winstone says:

I do not care about group updates, what a waste of time, put it back as it was

view photos

To mavropouli says:

A lot of unnecessary and totally irrelevant information to discriminate between those who pay a subscription and have not been affected by these changes and those that don't and are considered to be second class.

view photos

Andre Bolton says:

It's a firehose of irrelevant info mixed in with upsetting notices that
some people hate my work. I much preferred living in ignorance.

view photos

Bryn Toshi says:

i am going to type this in caps so hopefully it stands out..i'm not yelling..well, not AT anyone specifically. while i appreciate any efforts a service provider makes to simplify or enhance their customers' experience, this has fallen short. * * * * PLEASE TELL ME HOW TO GET IT TO OPERATE AS IT USED TO. I DO NOT WANT TO GET GROUP NOTIFICATIONS!!!! I BELONG TO A LOT OF GROUPS AND I'M A GROWN WOMAN FULLY CAPABLE OF TRACKING DOWN WHICH GROUPS I WANT TO LOOK AT ON MY OWN. THE ONLY WAY I HAVE FOUND THAT MIGHT ALLIEVIATE THE STRESS THIS NEW WHATEVER IT IS IS CAUSING ME IS TO, ONE BY ONE, UNTICK/TURN OFF THE BUTTON NEXT TO EACH INDIVIDUAL GROUP. WHY WASN'T THIS FEATURE ALSO GIVEN AN "ALL OR NONE" ON/OFF BUTTON/OPTION????" please Please PLEASE listen to what everyone is saying. bite the bullet. pay your coder overtime and get things back to orderly and uncluttered as soon as you can. Please? :/

view photos

Flickr Staff

kp-kp-kp says:

To mavropouli:

To clarify, only a subset of members are seeing this change, but it doesn't have anything to do with whether members are Pro or not. We're working on addressing feedback from members who have had some time to spend with these new settings before ramping up further.

You can read the latest update on what we're working on here, including how to manage group-related notifications. (This is also linked in the OP). We've also just posted an update below.

I'd also like to remind folks to keep feedback constructive. Letting us know specifically what you found confusing/unhelpful, or what specifically you would have expected any changes to work will help us better understand how we can help.

Best,
Katherine
kp-kp-kp (staff) edited this topic 9 months ago.

view photos

Flickr Staff

Leticia Roncero says:

Hi, all. After reviewing your feedback, we are rolling out a number of feature enhancements and updates to reflect what you’ve shared with us:

Group notifications:

A significant piece of feedback we’ve received is that group topic notifications are overwhelming for those of you in many groups that have active discussions. Our rationale for adding this notification was to do better at informing you where discussions are happening in your groups. For years we’ve heard from group admins and group participants that they have no way of knowing which groups are active, so they don’t participate in them. For admins, it’s difficult to run an active group if your group members don’t see your updates. That said, we don’t want to overwhelm your notifications, so here’s what we’ve changed.

With these changes, when you join a group:

1) You will only get the group discussion notifications for groups that you pin on your Groups list page. For pinned groups, we’re already showing them more frequently in your Activity Feed, so it made sense to also associate additional notifications with the pinning action.

2) By default you will get notifications about updates to the Admin Blast, the group description, or the group rules.

Mention notifications:

While we have changed the default setting for “Comments after you’ve commented” to off, we wanted to be sure you received a notification if someone mentions you in a comment thread (square brackets [flickrURL] style on desktop and @mention from the mobile apps). This has been live for a week, but we’ve now added a Setting and a filter for these mentions.

If you have access to the Notifications Center now, you can click the dropdown filter for mentions and see all your mention notifications. While we certainly hope you don’t want to turn mentions off--given how critical they are for communication on Flickr--we also want to give you control over your experience, so we have added a setting that let’s you turn mention notifications on or off.

Pinned groups:

To pin a group on your Groups list page, select the Options column three-dot menu next to the desired group and choose “Pin to top of page.” If you want a group pinned to the top of the page, but you don’t want group notifications, you can mute the group from the same menu, or from your Notifications Settings page.

Because some folks are in a lot of active groups, we’ve also added a third location where you can now mute all notifications from a group. When you see a notification under the Notifications bell dropdown or from the Notifications Center, you can select the three-dot menu and choose “Mute this group.”

One final update to note here: we’ve seen far more people utilizing the Notifications bell dropdown than the Notifications Center, so we’re adding tooltips with instructions to the bell dropdown as well.

We hope these updates help resolve concerns some of you had with the feature and help you make better use of it. Please continue to share feedback with us here as you use the new notifications and notifications center more.

view photos

mag3737 says:

mag3737:

FWIW, the blue info bar on my Bell menu has reappeared two more times in the 20 hours since I last mentioned it. I have been on Flickr and accessed the menu many other times than that during that time period.

More today. I wonder if it's related to code drops/updates.

view photos

schildzilla says:

Leticia Roncero:

I wish there would be a way to deactivate all group notifications at once that are not about my photos.
If you are on 100, 200, 300++ Groups, its too much work to set up all the settings for each of these groups.

I want to receive only the information, if a picture has been approved or declined by a group in general for all groups and for 10-20 other groups I want to setup that I want to receive everything, including new conversations etc.

Maybe something like a silent mode (or master mode) with a white list can do that in an easy way. That mode should make you able to set general group notification rules to all groups at once, but the whitelisted groups apply their settings.

Please bring that function. I'm bored of all these unimportant notifications.

view photos

top for cds, tvs says:

I find it confusing and prefer the simplicity of the old version

view photos

Charleton Photography says:

This update has way, way, too much information. Logging in and seeing 59 notifications and realizing two of them are useful makes me want to stop looking at notifications. Just notify if something requires action or if someone has taken an action (faved, commented, added to gallery, explored) one of our photos. Quantity is not quality. Please go back to how it was.

view photos

Ian Cundell says:

Leticia Roncero:

so I now get notifications of new group posts on the iOS app....but there is no way to tell which forum they are from...

view photos

galilea.kessen says:

New test of new Notification

OK, I mute each group to remove that distraction, then I post one new picture, here what I get in one day.

87faves, 12, comments, 3 group invite. On 'recent activity page I see each one of these. All 87 faves, all 12 comments, all 3 group invite.

On new notification page I see three lines, one for 87 faves with no way to find detail, one line for 12 comments with only going to pic page to see each comment, and one line for all three group invites with no way to accept from new notification page. Must again go to pic page to accept.etc, group invites

Then all this again for any new activity on other pictures with new activity.

This is more work, and no way to see who faved, my #1 way to make new friends.

Please add all detail we see now on recent activity page. Add one more thing to 3 dots, 'see details, or something like that. If no interest, skip. if interest, then we can take action from notification page like now with recent activity page.

GK
galilea.kessen edited this topic 9 months ago.

view photos

y'Sima Clect'r says:

Ok, I can't EVEN wade through ALL the NEW NOTIFICATIONS and won't attempt to read the pages and pages of Comments here.

The NEW system of Notification is MASSIVE OVERKILL for anyone that is even remotely active on Flickr. I'm guessing it works for those that post a photo or comment every few weeks or months and are EXCITED to see that some noticed.

I'm the active Administrator of a couple dozen fairly active Groups and don't need ANY notifications about ANY of them. I peruse the activity in those Groups on a very regular basis. In addition, I am a member of maybe 1500-2000 other Groups, but don't have any desire to know when fifty-odd people comment on a new post in the Comments section of an obscure one.

The only way this IMPROVEMENT could be useful to me is to offer an OFF switch, quite prominently, at the top of the list of New Notifications. Whether it is qualified to Groups, My Posts, My Photos, etc is a nuance that 'would be nice' but could nicely come later.

Please help me find a way to turn OFF (or down - radically!) the numbers of NOTIFICATIONS I'm receiving. They are meaningless to me and I don't even read them. What a waste of resources - YOURS (to generate them) and MINE (to unbury myself from them!).

Just hoping for a 'patch' - soon.

view photos

Sarah .•.✿ says:

Not being able to see all new comments on a single page is a real pain, just don't have enough time to look at every new comment individually.

If the notification page could again show the actual comment it would be a huge improvement.

view photos

ChrisRSouthland says:

Fave counting is still not working properly in the apps. Would you please be so kind to fix this as soon as possible?

view photos

mag3737 says:

y'Sima Clect'r:

Please help me find a way to turn OFF (or down - radically!) the numbers of NOTIFICATIONS I'm receiving.

Try "Mute this group" on any group notification in the list. It's on the 3-dots menu at the side of the notification. It hides all future notifications from that one group.

view photos

Alan_b_photography says:

I prefer the old version because I lost new notifications and I have old notifications from 4; 5 months also 1 year!

view photos

123_456 says:

To see comments on my photos i have to do three clicks on different locations. Before this "improvement" only ONE CLICK.

view photos

mag3737 says:

123_456:

To see comments on my photos i have to do three clicks on different locations. Before this "improvement" only ONE CLICK.

I think you might be misrepresenting slightly (unfairly). What exactly are the 3 and 1 click, respectively?

view photos

P G says:

It takes much longer to open the "bell" menu and also navigating from picture to picture is very slow.

I have looked at the cookies this site is using and there is a hundred or so of the tracking/advertising domains linked to this site.

It will be a much better option to default to "no notifications" from all groups. I began to receive notifications about every little change in the each of the groups I belong to - new topics, "admin blast" etc. These should be set to default "no" and if I want them, I can enable these notifications.

I also want to have an option to change notifications on a set of groups, subset of groups or all groups. Now I can do it only one by one. If I am a member of many groups, this will take forever !

Thank you.

view photos

Rafael Gomez - https://micamara.es says:

Mas completa la información. Buena idea.Saludos

view photos

Duffy'sTavern says:

New format sucks. Intrusion of unwanted persons and stuff onto my notifications amounts to advertising. Surely I'm paying not to be bothered with stuff like that?

view photos

PaulO Classic. © says:

Okay, I'm getting used to it - I have also found that one Admin in particular automatically rejects my pictures, because I happened to tell him that I don't like Second Life stuff. He has blocked me and every single group in which he is Admin now rejects my pictures.

Is there any way around this, or do I just give up and leave those groups?

view photos

littletinperson says:

Leticia Roncero:

helpful.

please don't get rid of 'Recent Activity' page. still prefer this to the current format of the Notifications page.

thanks.

view photos

ERIK THE CAT says:

I am told my in box is empty, it is not I have lots of saved mail and 1 unread. This has been happening for several days and I like to reread some of my mail.

view photos

Johnny Cooman says:

For me this is clearly not to be used, just like the normal start screen of Flickr I will never use it. Far too much text based and a hodgepodge of things that have long been in Flickr.
Recently Activity is always my home page and I use it all day long! What you propose here cannot replace this at all, it is at best a textual addition, no more or no less!
If you take Recent Activity from Flickr to replace it, I will just leave Flickr, because then you will delete the last handy one tool!
Just keep Recent Activity as it is, this is the most visited and used page for me! And so many more members will think!
My conclusion: totally unnecessary and useless, looks more like messenger than Flickr!

view photos

MetteKenzo Nagy | . MKN . says:

I don't like the amount of notifications ...I really do not need to get the admin blasts or comments from all the groups I'm member of
...it's way too much.
The Admin tab is great. Could you add a tab for mails too? Mails tab could include info about having pics accepted/declined instead ...in my opinion it doesnt belong in my "normal" notifications feed.

view photos

mag3737 says:

PaulO Classic. ©:

Is there any way around this, or do I just give up and leave those groups?

The latter. Groups are autocracies/oligarchies by design.

view photos

Ger Bosma says:

Resurfacing of the same problem

I asked before to have topics that were started in my groups and that were afterwards deleted by me removed from the bell icon listing (or at least faded out).

Luckily that was fixed within a day after my request.

Alas, since today that behaviour is back.

NB: Older deleted topics remain gone.

view photos

PaulO Classic. © says:

mag3737:

Thanks - noted and done!

view photos

ardeth.carlson says:

I won't use it, but I especially don't want you to discontinue the current "Recent Activity" page/feature.

view photos

Marta "999 Photos" Wojtkowska says:

Having read most of the comments above I feel lucky to not see all those new features at all.

view photos

Flickr Staff

R L Catlow says:

ERIK THE CAT Struggling to keep up:

Hi there,

We do have a thread on this issue here

Our engineers are looking into this. I have added your case to the bug report.

Thanks!

view photos

becklectic says:

It's fine. I don;t see much more of importance to me.

The thumbnails are too small.

view photos

Karen Kumz says:

galilea.kessen:

yes to idea of extra thing in 3 dots - more detail to see each fave, comment, group invite.

KK

view photos

kyliepics says:

So the issue seems to be,
....I'm dumping photo's in 1000 groups and don't like interacting with them because "Quantity is not quality."
hmmm.

view photos

takisha.coenenx says:

OK, I used new today. Blue follow - fine. Pic w/ faves - need to see each one plus need easy way to also add as friend or family. If click 3 dots, gives option to follow but not also add as friend or family. Other posts say this too. Do like blue follow, open little box to add friend or family.

view photos

martian cat says:

Thank you for my mail message about help and my account. It was nice to read the updates and other files.

Your message helped me read the information about Flickr and it was helpful.

Thank you.

view photos

AnneliesW says:

Too bad.
I don't get notifications about the pending queue of my group "Het Doka Archief" but I do get them from my other group "Something different".
:-(

view photos

blthornburgh says:

I like that the updates allow me to customize how I get notifications.

view photos

_ИГ says:

I'm constantly recieving one false notification

Also twice i haven't received mail-notifications from one of my contacts while other mail-notifications come.

It's still messy.

view photos

PURÊN MICHEL 49 says:

cela a 'air bien fait

view photos

Karen Kumz says:

Until you fix the missing details like who faved pictures, this is of no use. Worst than recent activity because of missing details.

KK,

view photos

brooklandsspeedway says:

I liked getting notification of rejection or acceptance of a photo submitted to a group that requires approval of each photo submitted. I had just gotten used to that, and started to really appreciate it, and now it is gone.

view photos

Flickr Staff

kp-kp-kp says:

brooklandsspeedway:

Just a note that we made a change to how group notifications work based on member feedback - members who belong to hundreds of groups found these notifications too noisy. Now you will only get these notifications for groups you've pinned.

You can read this post for steps on how to manage your pinned groups.

view photos

Flickr Staff

kp-kp-kp says:

Karen Kumz:

Could you share more details about what you're seeing? You can toggle fav notifications off/on in your account settings.

view photos

Flickr Staff

kp-kp-kp says:

AnneliesW:

I'll ask someone on our team to reach out to get more details about what you're seeing.

view photos

Flickr Staff

kp-kp-kp says:

_ИГ:

Can you clarify what you mean by "false notification"? And are you seeing this on web or mobile?

If you're not getting email notifications about recent activity on your account, that's a separate issue from our new notifications center feature. I'd recommend sending our support team an email so they can take a closer look at your email settings.

view photos

Karen Kumz says:

kp-kp-kp:

thks for reply! Same thing Galilea.k is seeing. Faved notif on, all summed on one line for each picture since last signin. Current 'recent activity' has each fav from each person since last signin (or diff. if you select diffent option in recent activity page). Where is this in new nofit. page?. Hope this helps.

KK

view photos

315Edith says:

I could not yet see changes on mine or couldn't distinguish the new from old? :) I seldom open the recent activity as there are just few feedbacks on my photos. Maybe when I would have more time, I could post photos and interact more often.
I just want to say I am glad Flickr team keeps improving the site. I want no other photo sharing site than Flickr.

view photos

decembre says:

Leticia Roncero:

To pin a group on your Groups list page, select the Options column three-dot menu next to the desired group and choose “Pin to top of page.”

That's a good idea, but it's avaialbe to every body or for only users who have the New Notification?
Me, i don't show any "Pin" function".

Ps:;
Another "good" idea:
Add a little film strip which show some last shot which are added (6 or 10 shots?) for each pools.
It can done on hover their pool icon or by checking a option on the page like "Show Filmstrip"
;-)

view photos

hardmile says:

I like the old notifications MUCH better. I don't like having to sort through all the admin blasts and topic replies to view activity on my photos.

view photos

sensuallightstudios says:

p
sensuallightstudios edited this topic 9 months ago.

view photos

littletinperson says:

sensuallightstudios:

+1

view photos

mag3737 says:

Here is a direct quote from staff from the very first message they posted about this:

The Notifications Center represents the first step to rebuilding the Recent Activity page to function more like modern notification centers.

Here is the full posting:
www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157718408565402/

view photos

mag3737 says:

Leticia Roncero:

You will only get the group discussion notifications for groups that you pin on your Groups list page. For pinned groups, we’re already showing them more frequently in your Activity Feed, so it made sense to also associate additional notifications with the pinning action.

Turns out I don't like this. I select my Pinned Groups for my own purposes. I don't want it to be correlated to notifications in any way (or at least, I'd like to be able to control the way).

I would rather be receiving these notifications for ALL of my groups (of course, turning some off if I lose interest for whatever reason).

TBH, it seemed like even when they were "on", they were not really all on. I'm in LOADS of groups that get new discussions daily, but I have never yet been getting notifications for them, even before you made this change (a week ago). So even before that, I was already wanting more of these, not fewer.

view photos

Avi11b says:

There is too much reading to go thru
Simply, put radio buttons for what one likes keeping the original ones as default

view photos

takisha.coenen says:

like about 'recent activity'

under title of each picture - total views, total comments, total faves
next is last ten notifications - faves, comments, group invites. means you can read each comment, action each group invite without leave page. You can also see if person of action is friend.
If not picture, such like new testiment ,new follower, or new following u2. Can see that new friend add u as following.

Don't like - action of each picture limited to last ten actions. When I post new picture I get a hundred in one day, and if I don't log on ten times, I don't see if faver is friend or not.

Don't like have to leave page if make new friend - must open little window, click yes, go to new page, click add friend, go to their page, click return button2 time to get back. If they add you as following, you can add them right on 'recent activity page'

Hope this helps and first, second, and third steps in rolling out.Make easier, not worst.

TC

view photos

MastaBaba says:

I still don't have the new Notification Center :(

view photos

plucky trail says:

needs a turn off switch not interested just another way to slow things down

view photos

jpm534 says:

I would like to be able to delete notification messages individually. I do not see the ability to delete and as a result the continues to grow

view photos

caribb says:

Since this update I've noticed I've started to get notifications about every little change or update in every group I'm a member of so I looked to shut them down as it was too much information suddenly coming at me. I found the shutoff option in the notification center but I'm a member of nearly 1400 groups and there is no "select all" option to shut them all off so I had to go through 1400 groups to turn them all off. I don't understand why you would think that they should have been defaulted to "on" in the first place.. can you add three select all buttons so people can turn them all on or off per section (pinned, administered and member of). My finger is tired now after 1400 hits.. LOL Thanks.

view photos

Sallyrango says:

I think it is a total nightmare as there are too many notifications. I only want to see comments or faves on my photos. I'm not interested in all the group updates. As I result I now don't bother look at them as there are too many.

view photos

kennyken5 says:

Leticia Roncero:

hello,
really good, simple and efficient

view photos

Tatters ✾ says:

Useless to me. Does not work today - does not show notification for favs of my images. (Shows something I did fav a years ago. Hmm..., odd!).
The old drop-off "recent activities" from YOU menu works just fine!
Please do not fix something not broken.

view photos

sps1955 says:

Tatters ✾:

does not show notification for favs of my images. (Shows something I did fav a years ago. Hmm..., odd!).

I had this effect when I first got the new notifications; I even had options to block or follow myself: www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157718447996213/page2/#... .

When I looked at the settings page ( www.flickr.com/account/email ) it turned out that all notifications were turned off except for groups - this was not something that I had done, but was how the new notifications had been launched on my account. Since I have turned fave notifications on, they have appeared correctly.

The new system does provide information about groups to those who want it, and I can see that that is an advantage. I don't belong to many groups (and to even fewer that have active discussions), so they are easy for me to manage. However, I can see that the new system could be a pain for people who have joined a lot of groups over time to post relevant photos but don't have a day-to-day interest in the groups (which seems to me to be a perfectly legitimate use of groups!)

Like you (and others who have commented above) I find that the old recent activity page ( www.flickr.com/activity ) provides more information at a glance (except for groups) than the new notifications, so the old page continues to be my main source of information about what's happening on Flickr.

view photos

Andrea Kennard says:

Yep,no. I tried it again just now to see if it might have grown on me. No. It hasn't. It's truly awful. I have a large monitor and trying to see the notifications for each photo, what the notification is about, who it is from etc is impossible because they stretch all the way across. And are tiny. And I want to see what is going on on each photos all in one compact place, like the previous version shows you.

view photos

sps1955 says:

mag3737:

Quoting Leticia Roncero:
"You will only get the group discussion notifications for groups that you pin on your Groups list page. For pinned groups, we’re already showing them more frequently in your Activity Feed, so it made sense to also associate additional notifications with the pinning action."

Turns out I don't like this. I select my Pinned Groups for my own purposes. I don't want it to be correlated to notifications in any way (or at least, I'd like to be able to control the way).

I'm not entirely sure that I understand how this is supposed to work, and (as noted above) I don't belong to many groups, so my practical experience is limited. Nonetheless, I have a couple of thoughts that may perhaps be some help:

Firstly, at the risk of stating the obvious, I presume that we can still go to the settings page ( www.flickr.com/account/email ) and turn individual groups on and off there, overriding the default settings.

Secondly, Leticia's description as quoted by you is prefaced by the words "when you join a group". It's not obvious to me that, if a group to which you already belong is not pinned, you will cease to receive notifications of discussions. Only a couple of the groups to which I belong are not pinned, and notifications for those groups still appear to be turned on at www.flickr.com/account/email . Do notifications for unpinned groups appear to be "off" in your settings?

Perhaps Leticia could clarify how this is meant to work!

TBH, it seemed like even when they were "on", they were not really all on. I'm in LOADS of groups that get new discussions daily, but I have never yet been getting notifications for them, even before you made this change (a week ago). So even before that, I was already wanting more of these, not fewer.

Have you removed any groups from your feed (i.e. the signed-in home page)? My impression when the new notifications were introduced to my photostream was that I didn't get notifications for groups that I had excluded from my feed. I reinstated one such group to my feed, and found that I started to receive current notifications. I don't think that this feature (if feature it is) has been mentioned by staff, but could it explain why you weren't getting notifications relating to some groups, even before last week's changes?

view photos

Flickr Staff

R L Catlow says:

Tatters ✾:

Useless to me. Does not work today - does not show notification for favs of my images. (Shows something I did fav a years ago. Hmm..., odd!).
The old drop-off "recent activities" from YOU menu works just fine!
Please do not fix something not broken.

Sending over an email now to see what is going on.

Thanks!

view photos

Lila Brooks says:

Yesterday, at around 4 or 5 PM Pacific Time, the update notifications system broke in Firefox. Now, every screen that has the update icon on it will not stop constantly refreshing, meaning it's impossible to view the entire screen since it refreshes before I can scroll to the bottom.

Microsoft Edge does not have this problem. I didn't try other browsers.

view photos

sps1955 says:

Lila Brooks:

What you describe sounds very like the issue being discussed in this thread: www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157718675191173/ . I had the same problem with Chrome about 20 hours ago, opened the help forum in another tab to see if it was a known issue, and found and read that thread - when I went back to the tab in which I was trying to open a photo, the reloading had stopped and I've been able to use Flickr normally since.

Pages without the notification bell use a different and older page design which is less temperamental than the newer pages - so the problem may not have anything to do with the notifications!

view photos

JustCallMeRizzo says:

The notifications update is just a bit too much. I don't want a notification every time a group own makes and edit to their group. Or every time someone starts a discussion or replies to a discussion into a group I am in. And all the other unwanted notices I now get. I'm a member of over 1K groups, so you can only imagine the amount of notifications I log into every day. If this is how it is now, ok, but give us an easier way to opt out of these notices instead of trying to go one group at a time to say we don't want notices from them. Can we can a select all feature or something. And if there is one, where?

view photos

Lloyd Thrap says:

Add the flickr twitter feed to the notifications as a pop out side panel.

view photos

Let Ideas Compete says:

I like it.

view photos

glennbphoto says:

It seems a little unnecessary; redundant with the "Recent Activity" page under the "You" menu, where I'm used to looking. I don't know why I need to look in two places now to see the same thing.

view photos

Flickr Staff

Leticia Roncero says:

Hi there,

To answer some of your questions:

sps1955:

we can still go to the settings page ( www.flickr.com/account/email ) and turn individual groups on and off there, overriding the default settings.

Correct!

sps1955:
Only a couple of the groups to which I belong are not pinned, and notifications for those groups still appear to be turned on at www.flickr.com/account/email .

This is expected behavior. You won't get new discussion notifications for groups that are not pinned, but you will still get other types of group notifications, such as status of your pending photos, changes to rules, admin blasts, etc. unless you choose to turn off all notifications for that group (or any group) in your settings page here.

sps1955:
I didn't get notifications for groups that I had excluded from my feed

The activity feed filter is separate from notifications, so this should not be the case.

Hope this helps clarify but let us know if you have follow-up questions!
Leticia Roncero (staff) edited this topic 9 months ago.

view photos

Alaskan Dude says:

From an Admin point of view, can you swap the Deny/Approve options in the Notification page to be the same as in the Group Approve/Deny option? I have to be extra careful when I'm looking at photos to approve or deny in the Notifications page since its the opposite order of what I see in the Group pages.

view photos

nolehace says:

...new notifications is way too busy...

view photos

photos BWdZ says:

a clear and helpfull update
settings/notifications can be changed so I don't see why some people are complaining

view photos

mcnod says:

photos BWdZ:

I don't see why some people are complaining

I notice that many who are complaining are in a very large number of groups and seem not to want to know what is happening in these groups, they apparently just want to "share" their photos in as many places as they can find.

view photos

pni says:

The new Notifications page looks like iPad screen design for big computer screens has returned to the Flickr redesign philosophy.

I mean clicking on the bell (notification icon), gives me a little box with five lines of info of what is going on. Looking at the new Notifications page, I get five lines of info also. Even though the screen estate is more than twice that of the little box. So the new Notifications is no more than an enlarged notification box. Not much actual design there, I think.

The old Recent Activity page gives me 11 lines of info on what is going on with my photos plus some statistics. So in that sense it is much better use of available space. Also the way the Recent Activity page groups activity per photo is very clear and highly usable (at least to me).

I'm perhaps not very impressed. But do I like the dropdown with the possibility to filter what notifications are displayed.

view photos

galilea.kessen says:

galilea.kessen:

two weeks now. No words from Staff. Why is this?

GK

view photos

caribb says:

I've now shut off the notifications on my Flickr app altogether.. I've been getting consistent ghost notifications when there's nothing new.

view photos

jelbo64 says:

One big thing I need: batch disable group notifications. I only want to see notifications of personal things, not when a group does something. It's cluttering things up badly.
Posted 8 months ago. ( permalink )

view photos

Lef Kevrekidis says:

I like it.

view photos

JoelDeluxe says:

As a member of over 2500 groups, I have to individually mute the notifications, one by one. Worst feature ever

view photos

GrannaCass says:

Since the update the notifications aren't working properly on the mobile app.

view photos

Escursso says:

Muy bonio, pero a mi no me ha salido la alerta de un mensaje nuevo sin leer de Flickr correo.

view photos

<<<María>>> says:

No me gusta esta nueva idea, estaba mejor antes

This thread has been closed by Flickr Staff.

(301 to 400 of 624 replies in [Updated August 19 with Archiving Old Content] Rollout of New Flickr Notifications Center and Settings)
Subscribe to a feed of stuff on this page... Feed – Subscribe to help discussion threads