Help / The Help Forum

Hot Topics

[Official Thread] Have an idea for Flickr? Share it here.
Latest: 35 hours ago
[Updated April 15] Beginning Rollout of New Flickr Notifications Center and Settings
Latest: 2 days ago
[Updated April 26, 2021] Flickr is moving payments to Stripe
Latest: 8 months ago
Welcome to the Flickr Help Forum! Click here to get started and to read our Forum Guidelines.
Latest: 14 months ago

Current Discussion

[Investigating] Error when I try to add tags in Batch editing
Latest: 24 minutes ago
There was an error and photos were not saved
Latest: 86 minutes ago
[Investigating] non Flickr members can't see my pics
Latest: 2 hours ago
Replacing photos
Latest: 2 hours ago
Extreme bias in moderation bot
Latest: 3 hours ago
[Monitoring Fix] Site is slow again
Latest: 3 hours ago
Login nightmare . . .
Latest: 9 hours ago
Cant remeber login
Latest: 17 hours ago
[Acknowledged by Flickr Staff] Adding to Showcase Problem
Latest: 21 hours ago
Waiting for combo.static.flickr.com
Latest: 22 hours ago
I can't see or make comments on friends' pix
Latest: 23 hours ago
views
Latest: 23 hours ago
More...

Search the Help Forum

[Updated April 15] Beginning Rollout of New Flickr Notifications Center and Settings

Flickr Staff

Leticia Roncero says:

================

This thread is a continuation of our original post here.

================

Today we’ve begun rolling out the new Flickr Notifications Center and Notifications Settings pages, which will simplify how you engage with other members of the community. We have included an FAQ in our Help Center, but we also wanted to share information and get your feedback here.

We’re expanding the current notifications from the bell icon at the top of Flickr and introducing a new tab for groups you admin. We’re also introducing a new Notifications Center page so you can see your notifications with more screen real estate.

The Notifications Center
The Notifications Center represents the first step to rebuilding the Recent Activity page to function more like modern notification centers. As such, there are a couple of significant changes in the way we’re presenting data in the new design that you’ll experience. To access the Notifications Center, click on the bell icon in the navigation bar at the top of Flickr, and at the bottom of the dropdown, you’ll see the link that used to read “View Recent Activity” now reads “View all notifications.” When you click that, you’ll be taken to the new Notifications Center.

Notifications Settings Page
The new Notifications Settings page, allows you to turn on or mute notifications by type.This page gives you complete control over your in-site notifications as well as email notifications to decide what you’re notified about, how you’re notified, and even how often. To access the Notifications Settings page, click on the bell icon in the navigation bar at the top of Flickr and you’ll notice a new gear icon that will take you to the Notifications Settings page.

You can now control the following web and email notifications:

Web Notifications
- Comments on your photos
- Comments on photos you’ve commented on
- Faves
- Followers
- Galleries
- Groups (you can manage notifications for each of your groups from here)
- Group invitations
- Messages (FlickrMail)
- Notes
- Tags
- Testimonials

Emails we send you
- Activity on you or your photos (Off/Immediately/Once per day/Once per week)
- Group Invitations
- Messages (FlickrMail)
- New followers
- Recent uploads from people you follow (Off/Immediately/Once per day/Once per week)

Group Admins
For groups, we’ve added new notification types to let you know when admins update the group admin blast, as well as group description and rules. Additionally, group admins will now see notifications for the groups they admin as a separate tab so they can easily sort out the priority updates for their groups from personal notifications and from groups they don’t admin.

Please explore these new features and share your thoughts with us here.

* How are you planning on using the new features and how will they be beneficial to you and your activity on Flickr?
* Are you finding everything easy to use or do you have suggestions for improvements?
* As you start using the new Notifications Center, we'd love to hear how it keeps you in the loop with the people you follow and the groups that you're part of. Or, is there activity you feel like you're still missing?

We'll be slowly rolling out the feature to a small percentage of the community, then ramping up throughout the week as we monitor and feel good about the progress.

We really appreciate your time and feedback!

Thanks,

===============

Edits:

March 2, 2021: Staff response to feedback about the option to turn on or off notifications for all groups at once and additional follow-ups.

===============
March 3, 2021:

New ‘Options’ in your Groups page
As we are rolling out the new Notifications, you’ll also see updates to your Groups list page, where all of your groups are displayed. We’ve changed the name of “Faved Groups” to “Pinned Groups” to avoid conflating with the action of faveing photos/videos. Pinning a group will keep that group at the top of your list. There’s also a new column called Options, which lets you manage group notifications, show or hide groups from your activity feed, and more. If you desire, you can use the Options column on the Groups list page to mute/unmute each of your groups.

Group Discussion Notifications
Now, all group members will receive notifications for new group discussions. These notifications were previously only available to group admins and moderators. We hope this keeps you in the loop on more group discussions!

===============
March 11, 2021: Staff response to feedback about group notifications, mention notifications, pinned groups, and new ways to mute all notifications from a group.

===============
March 31, 2021: Staff update on managing comments and persististing notification filters in Notifications.

===============
April 15, 2021: Staff update on the increased size of the Notifications Center page.
Posted at 2:49PM, 26 February 2021 PDT ( permalink )
Leticia Roncero (staff) edited this topic 3 months ago.

(401 to 500 of 536 replies in [Updated April 15] Beginning Rollout of New Flickr Notifications Center and Settings)
view photos

<<<María>>> says:

No me gusta esta nueva idea, estaba mejor antes
Posted 4 months ago. ( permalink )

view photos

christina.marsh25 says:

I do not want to hear of every tiny little change to a group's activity - this should be separated from notifications abut one's own photostream!

view photos

Nancy A Ford says:

I like it on my desktop but the app is not working since the rollout.

view photos

Flickr Staff

Melanie0426 says:

Sending over an email to see what I can do to help out.

view photos

Daniel Weeks says:

Please give us an option to toggle off/on ALL notifications from ALL groups at once.

Notifications from all groups are now turned on, but it is too much work to turn them off individually, one by one, if one does not want any notifications from groups. I don't want to know which group altered its descriptions or rules, etc.

Thank you.

view photos

Barrie Spence says:

Leticia Roncero:

The new notifications don't appear to reliably list pending group invitations. I'll use the "group invitations" and can see that nothing is pending, but if I actually visit image pages I can find group invitations that are not listed. It does list some of them, just not all of them.

view photos

nigel_aves says:

I've double checked all my settings, but I'm getting no email notifications at all.

view photos

Flickr Staff

Leticia Roncero says:

Barrie Spence:

Thanks, Barrie. We'll share your comment with the team to understand why that is.

view photos

Flickr Staff

Leticia Roncero says:

Hi, all! Based on the feedback we've received from many of you here, we're detailing a few more updates we've made to the Notifications features:

1. Comment modal in Notifications

We've updated notifications for comments so they are more functional and show more detail. When you click on a comment notification where you see the comment text in quotation marks, you will get a modal that lets you scroll through all the comments on the photo without leaving the Notifications dropdown or Notifications Center. You can also reply to the comments from that modal. For people who like to go through all their comment threads without context switching, this should be a useful workflow for you now.

You can see a video demo of this in action here.

2. Persististing notification filters

When you're on the Notifications Center page and you select one of the filters from the drop-down menu to view, for example, just group invitations, we haven't been persisting the filter type. If you click away from the notification to the photo page or group discussion and then go back with your browser, you end up on the default "All Notifications." With the update, when you navigate away from your notifications and then use the back arrow on your browser, you'll go back to notifications with the filter you last used on the page.

3. Alphabetized group list (coming soon!)

We also heard your feedback that it would be easier to manage your group notifications if the group list was presented in alphabetical order in your settings here, and we're planning to introduce this change in the next few days.

Your feedback has been shared with our team as we continue to work on updates and improvements. Please stay tuned for more updates coming soon!
Leticia Roncero (staff) edited this topic 4 months ago.

view photos

mag3737 says:

Leticia Roncero:

2. Persististing notification filters

I got all excited from this headline, but "back button" is just about the least common way I ever navigate somewhere. I'd really like to see the filter persist the next time I go to the notifications page at all.

view photos

YERZMYEY - DIGITAL LO-FI says:

WHY the "bell" icon does NOT lighted red when the new comments / actions appear? It's really useless now.

view photos

becklectic says:

What is the perceived improvement?

There's now less information given. I'm told a photo was faved, but not how many favorites it has - this is how I determine that a photo is eligible to be added to one of the "favorites" groups. I can't do that with the new and improved version.

The number of views for each photo is no longer displayed.

The little window with a status summary that used to appear to the right is no longer displayed.

The format is less easy to look at.

view photos

unknown quantity says:

Meh.

view photos

Tranquiligold says:

I don't receive group admins' approvals or rejections for my submitted photos at all. I turned on group notifications but still don't receive any approval/rejection notifications. Anybody else has this problem?

I also like the idea to use on button to turn on/off group notifications.

view photos

galilea.kessen says:

thank you for update, tracking to WOW!

GK

view photos

Vicki's Nature says:

I love it that you all are adding features. But with admittedly little time to look into the new Notifications features over this holy week, I am at a loss as to how to follow the activity on my photos posted to Groups. And can we still access Recent Activity - going back 7 days? or a month?

What am I missing? Do I need to go into "Manage" Groups - to turn on notifications for "every" Group I might post to? Some of us have been on Flickr over a decade and belong to a LOT of Groups. And again, can we see just recent activity going back 7 days e.g., or a month to see more?

thanks! Vicki

view photos

Flickr Staff

R L Catlow says:

Tranquiligold:

YERZMYEY - DIGITAL LO-FI:

Sending over an email to see what is going on.

Thanks!

view photos

johnmcboston says:

Notifications are nice, but slow as dirt - takes 15-odd seconds for the list of notifications to come up.

view photos

cnmark says:

www.flickr.com/notifications
The link to the notifications center just leads to a 404 error.

view photos

spec4da1 says:

I so hate the new notifications it never works I can't see any of mine

view photos

torriemint says:

Tranquiligold:

I was seeing them at first now I don't see them at all. Was very helpful in figuring out what groups I could post in.

view photos

Terry Happy Snaps says:

Since the changes I cant see my flickr mail as it says I have mail and then says no mail !
screen dump here.. www.flickr.com/photos/149025501@N02/51106019207/in/datepo...
Please .. Why cant it just work !

OK SCRATCH THAT,, it seems to be working now, fingers crossed :)

view photos

ellenm1 says:

The thumbnail images in the new notifications page need to be bigger.
Posted 3 months ago. ( permalink )

view photos

larisalyn (Rachel) says:

Leticia Roncero:
Is there a way to stop people seeing that the image they add to group has been rejected.

view photos

LFDV1960 says:

larisalyn (Rachel):

Excellent suggestion, I am NEVER in the mood to see my photos rejected.

view photos

rc_muwahaha says:

Leticia Roncero:

When viewing the notification page in a wide window (especially 4k width, but even 1080 width), there is quite a bit of gap between notifications on left and thumbnails on right making it hard to easily correlate comment to photo.

One option might be to force the width to not expand even when viewing on larger page.

Another option might be to move thumbnails to the left of the notifications.

view photos

mcnod says:

Please flickr, do not allow people to hide their rejection notices. Photo dumpers will never change their pattern if there is no consequence for their actions, of course they may get banned from a group but they will just find the next one to abuse, and members who join a group in good faith will quickly seek out and correct the error that is causing their images to be rejected.

view photos

LFDV1960 says:

mcnod:

Sorry to burst your bubble, not all of them are photo dumpers, I posted over the day 6photos of which 2 have been rejected they were all flowers in a flower group. On another group one was rejected and I replaced with another one which was accepted.. it was in one of these generic groups, "post your photos". Pay attention on your wording

view photos

mcnod says:

LFDV1960:

Pay attention on your wording

Did I strike a nerve? I don't think you are in any of my groups, the source of my frustration and reason for my request ...
Please try to stay on point and not call me out, thanks.
mcnod edited this topic 3 months ago.

view photos

Viejito says:

LFDV1960:

2 have been rejected they were all flowers in a flower group
Did you read the rules of the groups? Some groups can be picky, e.g. only accepting whole flowers, not accepting buds, insects or water drops on the flower, structures behind the flower, photoshopped, etc., etc.

view photos

ernstkers says:

mcnod:

Please flickr, do not allow people to hide their rejection notices.

I agree. I can imagine that group admins don't want those accept/reject notices go out. But that should be controlled by the group admins. Adding a photo to a group always bares the risk it's rejected or later removed. If somebody is afraid to learn that one of their photos is rejected, they can control it by limiting their contributions to groups without a pending queue.

view photos

mcnod says:

ernstkers:

But that should be controlled by the group admins.

That would be great as far as I am concerned. I didn't know that they were being sent until someone reported that they had stopped (confirmed by staff). But then I read that groups need to be "pinned" to received notices, I am confused by all of the fine tuning and changes.

All I know is that I have to reject way more images than I should have to reject. I tried a discussion thread explaining the intent of groups. I've tried flickrmails. I've tried making agreeing to the rules a condition to join groups. I've tried removing (not banning) so a member will have to rejoin and re-read the rules to join. I guess the only answer is to ban and be done with those who "make a mistake when posting". No wonder administrators give up and abandon their groups out of frustration.

view photos

rc_muwahaha says:

Leticia Roncero:

Would be great if refreshing notification page also cleared/reset bell.

view photos

Flickr Staff

Leticia Roncero says:

larisalyn (Rachel):

Hi Rachel, there's currently no way to stop these notifications from being delivered unless the member has turned off notifications for that group. We've heard from many of our group members that they'd like more visibility into the status of their pending submissions — whether the outcome is approval or rejection, and these notifications facilitate that process for both admins and group members.

ernstkers:
mcnod:

As we continue to work on improvements, we will make note of your comments around giving admins more flexibility and will share with the team. Thanks!

view photos

saver_ag says:

Overall direction is indeed good, however group invitations tab has an issue — when group several invitations I'm unable to accept/dismiss it from notification page and should open photo page, old notifications are more convenient in this case

view photos

Flickr Staff

Leticia Roncero says:

Hi, all! I'm excited to share another update to the Notifications Center that we've implemented based on your feedback. For those of you that have access to the new notifications experience, starting today, you'll see that on the Notifications Center we're increasing the notification's text's font size, and we're increasing the comment snippet beyond 30 characters to reduce white space and give you more detail for longer comments. We're also increasing the sizes of the avatars and the image thumbnails so that you can see more detail there. Here's an example of how the increased size looks:

New Notifications Center Increased Size by Flickr Design Team

And two additional follow-up updates:

- If you don't admin groups, we won't show you the "Groups you admin" tab on the Notifications panel or the Notifications Center. If you admin groups, you will see the tab with a count of new notifications (if you have any).

- Alphabetized group list: When we show a list of your groups in your settings, we sort them by pinned groups, groups you admin, groups you moderate, and groups you're a member of. The individual groups are now showing alphabetically under those sections.
Leticia Roncero (staff) edited this topic 3 months ago.

view photos

kundun59 says:

I am impatiently waiting to have the new notifications installed so I can monitor the feedback and track the groups that reject my pictures/mages/photos for no reason apart the fact that they are happy rejection triggered persons and they derived pleasure for such small power

view photos

kundun59 says:

Leticia Roncero:

Excellent , and again Excellent , the last improvement serves dual purposes to subscribe to groups managed by like people and of cousre to leave groups managed by toxic people

view photos

kundun59 says:

ernstkers:

correct unless it is one of these generic groups such as "all good photos accepted" No SL No porn... where Good is not defined

view photos

kundun59 says:

ernstkers:

Fortunately we can by muting notifications, because I have few groups that have a pending queue n those I do have I adhere to their description

view photos

kundun59 says:

LFDV1960:

I agree wholeheartedly with you toxic people will always be toxic ... Saying that, I may add that giving power to certain people it will drive them to abuse t. Isn't t

view photos

amalthus says:

I applaud you for making these changes , do you have a timeline for when the roll out will reach everybody?

view photos

LFDV1960 says:

Leticia Roncero:

Excellent initiative. Thank you for making the site better

view photos

LFDV1960 says:

Viejito:

Unfortunately, the description no Post your flower shots. No Porn No SL, I thought the pending queue was to filter the later kind of photos

view photos

FotoFling Scotland says:

Leticia Roncero:

That fine, but any idea as to when this will be rolled out to everyone ?

Also I reported that I can't see a list of the Groups I am a member of and this glitz is now about a month old. Any clue when that might be resolved? Just tell me you have a long backlog of outstanding issues and only one guy/limited budget to undertake these matters and I'll get the picture :)

view photos

Flickr Staff

katie_ko says:

FotoFling Scotland:

At this time we don’t have a concrete timeframe to offer or a full rollout.

We’re also excited for everyone to experience the new notifications-- but we want to take the time to make sure we’re factoring in feedback from the community as we continue to ramp up.

As far as the groups issue you mentioned, I want to assure you we do have a bug report filed with our engineers & are working our way through a prioritized list of outstanding issues.

I’ll see who I can nudge on the issue & will be sure to report back with updates.

view photos

wertheim says:

To be honest I really prefer the old system. Maybe it is because I've been on Flickr for 10+ years, but I think the new system is also a bit more clunky, It is harder to see if someone replied to my comment (in which case I want to revisit it) or if someone also commented on an item (like something in Explore). Thanks for trying to make it better. Aloha.

view photos

Glapatamear says:

Group Pending Queue

I have been getting multiple notifications in the "Groups You Administer" tab under the Bell icon for the same photo. That is, if I don't approve a photo after it was first submitted to a group, I will get notifications that it was added to the queue over and over again until if and when it is either approved or denied. Ideally, that notification should occur only when the photo is first submitted to the queue. Anything beyond that is both redundant and annoying.

view photos

Tatters ✾ says:

In Notifications, PLEASE DO NOT WARN THE PHOTO WAS REJECTED IN THE GROUP!
There is a reason the photo was not approved to the pool, but some people get upset and they could block admin of the group! So we, admins, getting punished for doing the job moderating a group!

(adding later: just noticed it is actually already discussed above, anyway I did put my motive)
Tatters ✾ edited this topic 3 months ago.

view photos

kundun59 says:

Tatters ✾:

It is a very touchy subject, no one want to be rejected if they are they want to know know why... some times it is obvious and some other it is not , particularly in those generic groups. Retaliation is on the menu as the offending party might block the administrator and worse risks to be banned from groups where the rejectee is an administrator, I can assure you that the later case has already happened . Rejecting a photo comes within the responsibility of the administrator, but abusing that power can lead to unexpected events. I have enough drama in my life to add another one, I have muted notifications on some groups and left others (together with my pics) ...It is sad the benefits of leaving group outweighs the "an administrator has rejected your photo" without any evident reason for the uploader.

view photos

Jeƒƒ says:

I just hope you'll keep the old "Recent Activity" page also, for those of us who prefer it.

view photos

rc_muwahaha says:

Leticia Roncero:

we're increasing the notification's text's font size, and we're increasing the comment snippet beyond 30 characters to reduce white space and give you more detail for longer comments. We're also increasing the sizes of the avatars and the image thumbnails

I like the new layout. Much more readable and removes a lot of dead white space.

It would be nice on the comments pop-out to include the title and description before the first comment.

view photos

rc_muwahaha says:

On the comments pop out, it would also be nice if there was the emoji icon to add emoji easily.

view photos

rc_muwahaha says:

Maybe its just me, but I feel like FlickMail is hit or miss whether it shows up as a notification or not.

view photos

Lou O' Bedlam says:

Having given it a few weeks, comparing the Recent Activity page to the Notifications page...Recent Activity still wins out.

-I am not a fan of yet another place on my computer where a notification is constantly begging to be clicked on, but that's just my general exhaustion with seeing it in my text messages, my email, Facebook, instagram. I always admired Flickr staying away from that, effective as it might be. Perhaps being able to turn off the notification badge would help with that.

-Recent Activity has a better system for toggling which notifications one would like to see. No need to navigate to a different page, which seems excessive and inconvenient.

-The notification layout feels optimized for mobile, with a more simplified/blocky layout...but there's a Flickr App for that, so...

-Recent Activity is also better for seeing when people have commented...it's really better for seeing What the recent activity on your stream is, rather than just that there Is activity, which is what the Notifications page seems best at.

So far, Recent Activity is far better. Visually, it's more appealing, less utilitarian. Practically, it's more convenient for seeing Comments, for seeing Stats, for toggling what activity you want to be informed of.

If it's an addition, that's cool. Having notifications and recent activity would seem to cover all bases...but if Notifications is an eventual replacement...seems a clear degradation.

view photos

Flickr Staff

cabb88 says:

Lou O' Bedlam:

Hey, Lou! Thanks for this feedback and for taking the time to compare both experiences. Just to make sure –– are you visiting the notifications center (not just the dropdown)?

view photos

Room With A View says:

I have no interest in every single change in a group . I just want to see who commented and favorited my photos. PLEASE DONT CHANGE 'Recent Activity. its great just as it is.

view photos

Carmy Mirabeau aka Carmilla Mirabeau says:

Leticia Roncero:

Sorry..but I dont want to get notifications from other groups tellling me they updated their group descriptons. How can I get rid of this? Ive looked but I dont want to have to go thru and MUTE everyone. Where can I get rid of this in the settings? Thanks

view photos

Soubrause Family says:

all or nothing for each group? the submission update might be useful to some, discussions to others, admin blasts and group description updates are never useful and some group admins change it constantly. this is the spammiest "feature" I've seen added to any platform ever.

no default settings? no turn all off?

view photos

Monavie Voight - *MHbM* says:

Admin blasts, group description updates, group rules updates, etc., are the spammiest thing to hit the internet. Let us be able to turn any of these off for any or all of the groups we are in so we don't have to be troubled by these groups' new spam features.

view photos

rc_muwahaha says:

In the notification text, all items show as "photo" rather than "video" when applicable. E.g. in the text "... commented on your photo: ..."

I believe recent activity correctly made the distinction between photos vs videos.

view photos

C-Aida says:

The muting of the notifications in my groups has just stopped working and I get notified about every new photo added to the pending queue in multiple groups.

This means a new notification every second right now, the bell never stops lighting up for a moment.

I've tried to mute them again many times but it's not working. After a few seconds they have all unmuted themselves again.

It's not possible to concentrate to get any group work done if I can't stop the non stop notifying.
Please help.

It would help me if you could switch me back to the old system, even if temporarily, until you fix this bug.

view photos

NOAC_ says:

Please please please disable "admin blast notifications" by default. Long time members of Flickr may be subscribed to 100s of groups and as a result, our notifications are overloaded with these zero-value-added updates.

Going to the notification management center to manage group notifications is also a non-starter as you have to manually unsubscribe from every single group one by one. At least give us a single button to turn every single one off.

view photos

NOAC_ says:

In fact, I'll probably never see a notification that a reply might show up to this thread as there's such a flood of notifications from these groups.

view photos

quicksilver coaches says:

Has potential but one serious issue at present. Notifications are randomly split between 'recent activity' and the new page: some only appear in one place, some in the other and some in both with no apparent logic or reason. Having to check two different places for notifications is inconvenient and frustrating, and both should display the same notifications.

One other backwards step: when a photo has multiple group invites it isn't possible to accept/reject them directly from the notification page without clicking through to the photo. This is possible in the old system so please add it to the new one.

A minor point: insistence on American English is an annoyance to non-Americans. Can it be regionalised so it's called the notification centre for UK users and others who don't use American English?
quicksilver coaches edited this topic 3 months ago.

view photos

mag3737 says:

NOAC_:

In fact, I'll probably never see a notification that a reply might show up to this thread as there's such a flood of notifications from these groups.

The Help Forum (where "this thread" is located) has never been included in any Flickr notifications system, so you won't see one, flood or no flood.

view photos

Viejito says:

NOAC_:

that a reply might show up to this thread
It is easy enough to check this thread, which always shows up at the top of this page.

If you want to read follow-ups in other Help Forum threads you posted in, there is always Topics you've posted in, near the bottom of the left column of this page, or near the top of this page.

view photos

Thomas Hawk says:

When I go to the notifications center:

flickr.com/notifications

I get an error message that says:

"404
This is not the page you’re looking for.
2021-05-06T00:20:04Z-eb8e4f17@server

Here are some of today’s best photos instead:"

view photos

Thomas Hawk says:

Error message I get when I go to flickr.com/notifications

Notifications Center Produces 404 by thomashawkblog

When I click on the "notifications" bell at the bottom I don't have an option to go to the notifications center, instead it directs to the depracted "recent activity" page which you have to refresh about 10 times in order to see anything.

No Notifications by thomashawkblog

No Recent Activity by thomashawkblog

Certainly makes Flickr a frustrating site to try and use.

view photos

mcnod says:

Thomas Hawk:

Had you read the staff posts in this thread, you would realize that the new notification center has not been rolled out to 100% of the membership.

view photos

Thomas Hawk says:

mcnod:

In the thread dated in February it says "We'll be slowly rolling out the feature to a small percentage of the community, then ramping up throughout the week as we monitor and feel good about the progress."

I figured since that since that week in February was over now that maybe more people might have it. As Recently Activity no longer works or is supported I figured it was out. I just read the original post dated in February though and didn't have 45 minutes to scroll through and read 5 pages of threads.

Just trying to figure out how one can view their recent activity on Flickr.

view photos

mcnod says:

Thomas Hawk:

45 minutes to scroll through and read 5 pages of threads.

I did say staff posts. Staff posts are highlighted in gray and easy to find, you know this, I think your estimate of time required is greatly overstated.

Edit to add:
Thomas Hawk:
As Recently Activity no longer works or is supported

RA Still works for me and is still being suported it seems:
www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157719101759915/#reply7...
mcnod edited this topic 3 months ago.

view photos

Thomas Hawk says:

mcnod:

Right, I did not go through ANYBODY's posts in the 5 pages not staff or non-staff, I just read the post which seemed to suggest over the course of a week in February this would be rolled out to most people. Here it is May of course and now I have a better understanding that this feature is being slowwwwllly rolled out.

Of course that doesn't address how one tracks their recent activity on Flickr assuming one is not one of the lucky few from February who received it now that the Recent activity page no longer works or is supported by Flickr.

view photos

mcnod says:

Thomas Hawk:

the Recent activity page no longer works or is supported by Flickr.

RA Still works for me (with one small issue) - and is still being supported it seems from staff involvement in this thread::
www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157719101759915/#reply7...

view photos

Thomas Hawk says:

mcnod:

RA Still works for me and is still being suported it seems:
www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157719101759915/#repl

Recent Activity No Longer Supported by thomashawkblog

No Recent Activity by thomashawkblog

Sometimes things will work for one user like you, but not work for another user like me.

view photos

blthornburgh says:

I have had plenty of time to check out the new updates and set them the way I want. This works very well for me. Thanks to all who have worked so hard on this.

view photos

mag3737 says:

One more reason the Notification Center is less useful for me than the Recent Activity page:

I tend to "hide" photos from my feed if they start getting overwhelmed with sparkly GIF awards. On the RA page I can see that this is happening without having to visit the photo page. On the Notification Center, I cannot.

:-(

view photos

rc_muwahaha says:

mag3737:

What does the "Mute this Notification" do in the Notification Center after clicking three dots to the right of a photo?

I don't use the feature... maybe its what you are looking for, maybe not.

view photos

rc_muwahaha says:

blthornburgh:

I have had plenty of time to check out the new updates and set them the way I want. This works very well for me. Thanks to all who have worked so hard on this.

I agree.
I think still a few improvements could be done, but overall I like it.

view photos

rc_muwahaha says:

quicksilver coaches:

One other backwards step: when a photo has multiple group invites it isn't possible to accept/reject them directly from the notification page without clicking through to the photo. This is possible in the old system so please add it to the new one.

I agree that it would be nice to be able to see/accept multiple group add requests from the Notification Center rather than having to open photo.

Possibly a popup similar to the comments pop up that shows all group requests and allows acceptance?

view photos

mag3737 says:

rc_muwahaha:

What does the "Mute this Notification" do in the Notification Center after clicking three dots to the right of a photo?

I don't use the feature... maybe its what you are looking for, maybe not.

The problem with the notification centre is not hiding the notification. The problem is determining that I NEED to hide the notification.

view photos

Flickr Staff

katie_ko says:

Thomas Hawk:

While we work on rolling out the new notifications center and features to more Flickr members, certain aspects of the Recent Activity page may not work as they previously did.

We’ve been ramping up slowly to ensure a smooth transition for everyone and to iterate on feedback that we receive from the community.

That being said, the issue you’re running into seems unrelated to the recent changes to notifications & we’ve been unable to reproduce on our end.

We see you’re in touch with support directly but if anyone else if running into this same issue, it seems browser related, so please try the following troubleshooting steps:

-Try clearing your browser's cache and cookies.
-Check to see if the issue persists when using a different browser.
-Try using an incognito window

For those still running into this after the above troubleshooting, please let us know!

view photos

Thomas Hawk says:

katie_ko:

-Try clearing your browser's cache and cookies.
-Check to see if the issue persists when using a different browser.
-Try using an incognito window

Just did that. Still running into the same problem.

I believe that this issue with recent activity as well as the inbox empty error screen

www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157719091247147/

are happening when the request is sent into the page and the page times out before being able to return the information -- possibly because there is more information on these pages than the system is used to returning.

Perhaps Flickr can add a little bit of time on a request before it times out and sends the faulty page?

It is definitely not browser related.

I would be happy to test out how it might work on the new notifications center if Flickr would give my account that page.

view photos

Kecko says:

Hi!
On the start page I can only see the feed on the left, and nothing as gray areas on the right. It has been for a few hours. Firefox 88.0.1 (64-Bit). Browser cache and cookies cleared, but still the same. Everything else works. I don't know whether this has anything to do with this rollout. I didn't follow this because I haven't had any problems until now.
Thanks.

view photos

Thomas Hawk says:

katie_ko:

Broken Recent Activity by thomashawkblog

Cache and Cookies Cleared

Using a different browser (Firefox)

Using an Incognito window (Chrome)

Very frustrating experience using Flickr. :(

view photos

Carmy Mirabeau aka Carmilla Mirabeau says:

I dont want to get another groups UPDATED BLAST on my notification panel. Its just junk!
Posted 2 months ago. ( permalink )

view photos

Brian Haych says:

Tell you what I think.....

I like to use both, however being honest, I find myself using the "Recent Activity" from the dropdown menu "YOU" more than I do the "notifications" from the drop down on "The Bell".

Recent Activity works better for me as a rule, however notifications tells you about replies to comments in group discussion which is helpful and if it could be incorporated into "Recent Activity" it would be even better!

view photos

snedex says:

I really like the new notification area and the notifications center.

One small nitpick is the ordering of the tabs up top. When you select the Privacy & Permissions Tab, you are taking back to the old UI. Which is fine.
However Email & Notifications is now on the right rather than the left in the new UI. This should be the same position despite the switch between old and new.

view photos

Barry Potter (EdenMedia) says:

Must be honest, struggling to get my head around the new system, seems to have too much information, may be better with use. The ability to switch (or flip) between the old and the new sounds a good idea.

view photos

LTCE says:

Hi!

In my opinion, I would rather like to see the notification bell disappear from the menu and merge it or blend it in with recent activity. By doing so, at every new login, the user would have all the recent activity/notification presented only in one single place, orderer in chronological order as they happened whilst being logged out. I think that, by adopting this method, it would make the process of catching up with the activity while absent, more efficient and direct.

view photos

TiP-TO says:

this is a comment from other in this thread:Right now I get notifications about any activity on my photostream, any responses to my comment on someone else's stream and any flickr messages.
"With this new system, I'll get notices on every comment to every photo I've commented on.
Some people get literally a hundred comments, many of which could be group stickies.
But the option only allows you turn off all notices of all comments.
Would that include responses to my comment on other people's photos.They're the only ones I'm interested in."

could't have said it better!

view photos

ktmqi says:

The page looks fine but there is a redundancy hiccup. A person liked three photos eight hours ago. The same person liked five photos 22 min. ago.

The three from eight hours ago appear as a single band at the top of the list followed by the most recent likes as individual lines. Is this something I am supposed to correct in preferences?

Another thing, formerly as photos were liked they migrated to the top of the page. They now seem to be static in the order they were first liked. For example a photo liked one hour ago is then liked twenty min. later. Instead of migrating to the top of the page telling me this is the latest action on the account it stays where it is and just adds a like notice line.
ktmqi edited this topic 2 months ago.

view photos

IanLudwig says:

I like the new control center from a quick glance this afternoon but was wondering if there were plans to implement a continuous/infinite scroll to them instead of having to click? This could be coupled with a time delay when an end user hits the bottom of the list and sits for a few seconds.

-Ian

view photos

John Hewitt 7 says:

Looks good so far. Thanks.

view photos

Turkeybreath Images says:

I have only just had a chance to look at the new Notification Centre, and after the initial shock, I quite like the flexibility it allows. Well done folks.

I would like to add that I find the option to turn off 'Comments on photos you’ve commented on' in Notifications too limiting. I would still like to get notifications from the original poster if I received any, but feel this wouldn't happen with this option turned off.

I would also like to see the comments in the Help forum sorted from the latest to the earliest, or is this something I can do myself?
Turkeybreath Images edited this topic 2 months ago.

view photos

AzzaMac says:

New notification centre is looking good!

view photos

Curious About Life says:

No no no.
You did that previously too.
Then, with a GOOD decision you removed it.
Now, it is back.
''seeing notification on photos I have commented''
That is NOT a notification, and sorry, I don't want to see it.
Besides, it will give ''false notification'' all the time.
If you still want to add it you can do the following:
putting a ''notification notice'' like: ''yes; I want to see notitifications on the photos I have commented'', or ''NO; I do NOT want to see notifications on the photos I have commented'', so we can choose.
Personally, I do NOT want to see the noticification on the photos I have commented.
Thank you.

view photos

Franks Photos! says:

Nice new format!

view photos

John Philip Wall says:

Looks good.

view photos

Jaap Kruger - Please read profile. says:

This is a royal pain in the butt. It is making me reluctant to comment on photos because I will be flooded in spam.

(401 to 500 of 536 replies in [Updated April 15] Beginning Rollout of New Flickr Notifications Center and Settings)
Subscribe to a feed of stuff on this page... Feed – Subscribe to help discussion threads