Help / The Help Forum

Hot Topics

[Updated March 31st] Beginning Rollout of New Flickr Notifications Center and Settings
Latest: 2 hours ago
[Official Thread] Have an idea for Flickr? Share it here.
Latest: 35 hours ago
[No Action Required] Flickr is moving payments to Stripe
Latest: 5 months ago
Welcome to the Flickr Help Forum! Click here to get started and to read our Forum Guidelines.
Latest: 10 months ago

Current Discussion

Photo count incorrect
Latest: 67 minutes ago
Photo taken date is automatically changed to uploaded date during upload
Latest: 2 hours ago
Description link?
Latest: 3 hours ago
[Investigating] Groups take a very long time to load
Latest: 3 hours ago
[Resolved] Frozen Views Count
Latest: 4 hours ago
Password works on iOS but not on PC?
Latest: 4 hours ago
Android App: Random Logouts
Latest: 12 hours ago
Photos don't show up in albums
Latest: 12 hours ago
No photos in my account
Latest: 14 hours ago
Uploading to Albums
Latest: 20 hours ago
Flickr not allowing me to continue to use Paypal (which is linked to a credit card).
Latest: 25 hours ago
Latest: 27 hours ago
More...

Search the Help Forum

[Updated March 31st] Beginning Rollout of New Flickr Notifications Center and Settings

Flickr Staff

Leticia Roncero says:

================

This thread is a continuation of our original post here.

================

Today we’ve begun rolling out the new Flickr Notifications Center and Notifications Settings pages, which will simplify how you engage with other members of the community. We have included an FAQ in our Help Center, but we also wanted to share information and get your feedback here.

We’re expanding the current notifications from the bell icon at the top of Flickr and introducing a new tab for groups you admin. We’re also introducing a new Notifications Center page so you can see your notifications with more screen real estate.

The Notifications Center
The Notifications Center represents the first step to rebuilding the Recent Activity page to function more like modern notification centers. As such, there are a couple of significant changes in the way we’re presenting data in the new design that you’ll experience. To access the Notifications Center, click on the bell icon in the navigation bar at the top of Flickr, and at the bottom of the dropdown, you’ll see the link that used to read “View Recent Activity” now reads “View all notifications.” When you click that, you’ll be taken to the new Notifications Center.

Notifications Settings Page
The new Notifications Settings page, allows you to turn on or mute notifications by type.This page gives you complete control over your in-site notifications as well as email notifications to decide what you’re notified about, how you’re notified, and even how often. To access the Notifications Settings page, click on the bell icon in the navigation bar at the top of Flickr and you’ll notice a new gear icon that will take you to the Notifications Settings page.

You can now control the following web and email notifications:

Web Notifications
- Comments on your photos
- Comments on photos you’ve commented on
- Faves
- Followers
- Galleries
- Groups (you can manage notifications for each of your groups from here)
- Group invitations
- Messages (FlickrMail)
- Notes
- Tags
- Testimonials

Emails we send you
- Activity on you or your photos (Off/Immediately/Once per day/Once per week)
- Group Invitations
- Messages (FlickrMail)
- New followers
- Recent uploads from people you follow (Off/Immediately/Once per day/Once per week)

Group Admins
For groups, we’ve added new notification types to let you know when admins update the group admin blast, as well as group description and rules. Additionally, group admins will now see notifications for the groups they admin as a separate tab so they can easily sort out the priority updates for their groups from personal notifications and from groups they don’t admin.

Please explore these new features and share your thoughts with us here.

* How are you planning on using the new features and how will they be beneficial to you and your activity on Flickr?
* Are you finding everything easy to use or do you have suggestions for improvements?
* As you start using the new Notifications Center, we'd love to hear how it keeps you in the loop with the people you follow and the groups that you're part of. Or, is there activity you feel like you're still missing?

We'll be slowly rolling out the feature to a small percentage of the community, then ramping up throughout the week as we monitor and feel good about the progress.

We really appreciate your time and feedback!

Thanks,

===============

Edits:

March 2, 2021: Staff response to feedback about the option to turn on or off notifications for all groups at once and additional follow-ups.

===============
March 3, 2021:

New ‘Options’ in your Groups page
As we are rolling out the new Notifications, you’ll also see updates to your Groups list page, where all of your groups are displayed. We’ve changed the name of “Faved Groups” to “Pinned Groups” to avoid conflating with the action of faveing photos/videos. Pinning a group will keep that group at the top of your list. There’s also a new column called Options, which lets you manage group notifications, show or hide groups from your activity feed, and more. If you desire, you can use the Options column on the Groups list page to mute/unmute each of your groups.

Group Discussion Notifications
Now, all group members will receive notifications for new group discussions. These notifications were previously only available to group admins and moderators. We hope this keeps you in the loop on more group discussions!

===============
March 11, 2021: Staff response to feedback about group notifications, mention notifications, pinned groups, and new ways to mute all notifications from a group.

===============
March 31, 2021: Staff update on managing comments and persististing notification filters in Notifications.
Posted at 2:49PM, 26 February 2021 PDT ( permalink | reply )
katie_ko (staff) edited this topic 7 days ago.

1 2 3 4 5 next →
(401 to 432 of 432 replies in [Updated March 31st] Beginning Rollout of New Flickr Notifications Center and Settings)
view photos

<<<María>>> says:

No me gusta esta nueva idea, estaba mejor antes
Posted 2 weeks ago. ( permalink | reply )

view photos

christina.marsh25 says:

I do not want to hear of every tiny little change to a group's activity - this should be separated from notifications abut one's own photostream!

view photos

Nansjc says:

I like it on my desktop but the app is not working since the rollout.

view photos

Flickr Staff

Melanie0426 says:

Sending over an email to see what I can do to help out.

view photos

Daniel Weeks says:

Please give us an option to toggle off/on ALL notifications from ALL groups at once.

Notifications from all groups are now turned on, but it is too much work to turn them off individually, one by one, if one does not want any notifications from groups. I don't want to know which group altered its descriptions or rules, etc.

Thank you.

view photos

Barrie Spence says:

Leticia Roncero:

The new notifications don't appear to reliably list pending group invitations. I'll use the "group invitations" and can see that nothing is pending, but if I actually visit image pages I can find group invitations that are not listed. It does list some of them, just not all of them.

view photos

nigel_aves says:

I've double checked all my settings, but I'm getting no email notifications at all.

view photos

Flickr Staff

Leticia Roncero says:

Barrie Spence:

Thanks, Barrie. We'll share your comment with the team to understand why that is.

view photos

Flickr Staff

Leticia Roncero says:

Hi, all! Based on the feedback we've received from many of you here, we're detailing a few more updates we've made to the Notifications features:

1. Comment modal in Notifications

We've updated notifications for comments so they are more functional and show more detail. When you click on a comment notification where you see the comment text in quotation marks, you will get a modal that lets you scroll through all the comments on the photo without leaving the Notifications dropdown or Notifications Center. You can also reply to the comments from that modal. For people who like to go through all their comment threads without context switching, this should be a useful workflow for you now.

You can see a video demo of this in action here.

2. Persististing notification filters

When you're on the Notifications Center page and you select one of the filters from the drop-down menu to view, for example, just group invitations, we haven't been persisting the filter type. If you click away from the notification to the photo page or group discussion and then go back with your browser, you end up on the default "All Notifications." With the update, when you navigate away from your notifications and then use the back arrow on your browser, you'll go back to notifications with the filter you last used on the page.

3. Alphabetized group list (coming soon!)

We also heard your feedback that it would be easier to manage your group notifications if the group list was presented in alphabetical order in your settings here, and we're planning to introduce this change in the next few days.

Your feedback has been shared with our team as we continue to work on updates and improvements. Please stay tuned for more updates coming soon!
Leticia Roncero (staff) edited this topic 2 weeks ago.

view photos

mag3737 says:

Leticia Roncero:

2. Persististing notification filters

I got all excited from this headline, but "back button" is just about the least common way I ever navigate somewhere. I'd really like to see the filter persist the next time I go to the notifications page at all.

view photos

YERZMYEY - DIGITAL LO-FI says:

WHY the "bell" icon does NOT lighted red when the new comments / actions appear? It's really useless now.

view photos

becklectic says:

What is the perceived improvement?

There's now less information given. I'm told a photo was faved, but not how many favorites it has - this is how I determine that a photo is eligible to be added to one of the "favorites" groups. I can't do that with the new and improved version.

The number of views for each photo is no longer displayed.

The little window with a status summary that used to appear to the right is no longer displayed.

The format is less easy to look at.

view photos

unknown quantity says:

Meh.

view photos

Tranquiligold says:

I don't receive group admins' approvals or rejections for my submitted photos at all. I turned on group notifications but still don't receive any approval/rejection notifications. Anybody else has this problem?

I also like the idea to use on button to turn on/off group notifications.

view photos

galilea.kessen says:

thank you for update, tracking to WOW!

GK
Posted 1 week ago. ( permalink | reply )

view photos

Vicki's Nature says:

I love it that you all are adding features. But with admittedly little time to look into the new Notifications features over this holy week, I am at a loss as to how to follow the activity on my photos posted to Groups. And can we still access Recent Activity - going back 7 days? or a month?

What am I missing? Do I need to go into "Manage" Groups - to turn on notifications for "every" Group I might post to? Some of us have been on Flickr over a decade and belong to a LOT of Groups. And again, can we see just recent activity going back 7 days e.g., or a month to see more?

thanks! Vicki
Posted 9 days ago. ( permalink | reply )

view photos

Flickr Staff

R L Catlow says:

Tranquiligold:

YERZMYEY - DIGITAL LO-FI:

Sending over an email to see what is going on.

Thanks!
Posted 8 days ago. ( permalink | reply )

view photos

johnmcboston says:

Notifications are nice, but slow as dirt - takes 15-odd seconds for the list of notifications to come up.

view photos

cnmark says:

www.flickr.com/notifications
The link to the notifications center just leads to a 404 error.

view photos

spec4da1 says:

I so hate the new notifications it never works I can't see any of mine
Posted 7 days ago. ( permalink | reply )

view photos

torriemint says:

Tranquiligold:

I was seeing them at first now I don't see them at all. Was very helpful in figuring out what groups I could post in.
Posted 6 days ago. ( permalink | reply )

view photos

Terry Happy Snaps says:

Since the changes I cant see my flickr mail as it says I have mail and then says no mail !
screen dump here.. www.flickr.com/photos/149025501@N02/51106019207/in/datepo...
Please .. Why cant it just work !

OK SCRATCH THAT,, it seems to be working now, fingers crossed :)
Posted 4 days ago. ( permalink | reply )

view photos

ellenm1 says:

The thumbnail images in the new notifications page need to be bigger.
Posted 3 days ago. ( permalink | reply )

view photos

larisalyn (Rachel) says:

Leticia Roncero:
Is there a way to stop people seeing that the image they add to group has been rejected.
Posted 18 hours ago. ( permalink | reply )

view photos

LFDV1960 says:

larisalyn (Rachel):

Excellent suggestion, I am NEVER in the mood to see my photos rejected.
Posted 6 hours ago. ( permalink | reply )

view photos

rc_muwahaha says:

Leticia Roncero:

When viewing the notification page in a wide window (especially 4k width, but even 1080 width), there is quite a bit of gap between notifications on left and thumbnails on right making it hard to easily correlate comment to photo.

One option might be to force the width to not expand even when viewing on larger page.

Another option might be to move thumbnails to the left of the notifications.
Posted 6 hours ago. ( permalink | reply )

view photos

mcnod says:

Please flickr, do not allow people to hide their rejection notices. Photo dumpers will never change their pattern if there is no consequence for their actions, of course they may get banned from a group but they will just find the next one to abuse, and members who join a group in good faith will quickly seek out and correct the error that is causing their images to be rejected.
Posted 5 hours ago. ( permalink | reply )

view photos

LFDV1960 says:

mcnod:

Sorry to burst your bubble, not all of them are photo dumpers, I posted over the day 6photos of which 2 have been rejected they were all flowers in a flower group. On another group one was rejected and I replaced with another one which was accepted.. it was in one of these generic groups, "post your photos". Pay attention on your wording
Posted 4 hours ago. ( permalink | reply )

view photos

mcnod says:

LFDV1960:

Pay attention on your wording

Did I strike a nerve? I don't think you are in any of my groups, the source of my frustration and reason for my request ...
Please try to stay on point and not call me out, thanks.
mcnod edited this topic 4 hours ago.

view photos

Viejito says:

LFDV1960:

2 have been rejected they were all flowers in a flower group
Did you read the rules of the groups? Some groups can be picky, e.g. only accepting whole flowers, not accepting buds, insects or water drops on the flower, structures behind the flower, photoshopped, etc., etc.

view photos

ernstkers says:

mcnod:

Please flickr, do not allow people to hide their rejection notices.

I agree. I can imagine that group admins don't want those accept/reject notices go out. But that should be controlled by the group admins. Adding a photo to a group always bares the risk it's rejected or later removed. If somebody is afraid to learn that one of their photos is rejected, they can control it by limiting their contributions to groups without a pending queue.
Posted 3 hours ago. ( permalink | reply )

view photos

mcnod says:

ernstkers:

But that should be controlled by the group admins.

That would be great as far as I am concerned. I didn't know that they were being sent until someone reported that they had stopped (confirmed by staff). But then I read that groups need to be "pinned" to received notices, I am confused by all of the fine tuning and changes.

All I know is that I have to reject way more images than I should have to reject. I tried a discussion thread explaining the intent of groups. I've tried flickrmails. I've tried making agreeing to the rules a condition to join groups. I've tried removing (not banning) so a member will have to rejoin and re-read the rules to join. I guess the only answer is to ban and be done with those who "make a mistake when posting". No wonder administrators give up and abandon their groups out of frustration.
Posted 2 hours ago. ( permalink | reply )

1 2 3 4 5 next →
(401 to 432 of 432 replies in [Updated March 31st] Beginning Rollout of New Flickr Notifications Center and Settings)
Subscribe to a feed of stuff on this page... Feed – Subscribe to help discussion threads