Help / The Help Forum

Hot Topics

[Official Thread] Have an idea for Flickr? Share it here.
Latest: 2 days ago
[Updated April 15] Beginning Rollout of New Flickr Notifications Center and Settings
Latest: 3 days ago
[Updated April 26, 2021] Flickr is moving payments to Stripe
Latest: 8 months ago
Welcome to the Flickr Help Forum! Click here to get started and to read our Forum Guidelines.
Latest: 14 months ago

Current Discussion

[Monitoring Fix] Uploading stalls out
Latest: 5 minutes ago
[Monitoring Fix] Number of views and likes shutting down since July 29th
Latest: 8 minutes ago
How do I put back pictures in my computer folder?
Latest: 16 minutes ago
Photos not removed from blocked user's fave stream
Latest: 40 minutes ago
Changing a photo stricter privacy level is no longer removing its favorites
Latest: 2 hours ago
Not receiving messages from the pending members
Error message and forced reload after downloading any photo
[Investigating] Error when I try to add tags in Batch editing
photo totals in a few albums listed wrong
Latest: 4 hours ago
Frozen Views
Latest: 4 hours ago
Incorrect Photo Amount
Latest: 6 hours ago
"Recommended " Photographs in Android app.
Latest: 6 hours ago
More...

Search the Help Forum

[Updated April 15] Beginning Rollout of New Flickr Notifications Center and Settings

Flickr Staff

Leticia Roncero says:

================

This thread is a continuation of our original post here.

================

Today we’ve begun rolling out the new Flickr Notifications Center and Notifications Settings pages, which will simplify how you engage with other members of the community. We have included an FAQ in our Help Center, but we also wanted to share information and get your feedback here.

We’re expanding the current notifications from the bell icon at the top of Flickr and introducing a new tab for groups you admin. We’re also introducing a new Notifications Center page so you can see your notifications with more screen real estate.

The Notifications Center
The Notifications Center represents the first step to rebuilding the Recent Activity page to function more like modern notification centers. As such, there are a couple of significant changes in the way we’re presenting data in the new design that you’ll experience. To access the Notifications Center, click on the bell icon in the navigation bar at the top of Flickr, and at the bottom of the dropdown, you’ll see the link that used to read “View Recent Activity” now reads “View all notifications.” When you click that, you’ll be taken to the new Notifications Center.

Notifications Settings Page
The new Notifications Settings page, allows you to turn on or mute notifications by type.This page gives you complete control over your in-site notifications as well as email notifications to decide what you’re notified about, how you’re notified, and even how often. To access the Notifications Settings page, click on the bell icon in the navigation bar at the top of Flickr and you’ll notice a new gear icon that will take you to the Notifications Settings page.

You can now control the following web and email notifications:

Web Notifications
- Comments on your photos
- Comments on photos you’ve commented on
- Faves
- Followers
- Galleries
- Groups (you can manage notifications for each of your groups from here)
- Group invitations
- Messages (FlickrMail)
- Notes
- Tags
- Testimonials

Emails we send you
- Activity on you or your photos (Off/Immediately/Once per day/Once per week)
- Group Invitations
- Messages (FlickrMail)
- New followers
- Recent uploads from people you follow (Off/Immediately/Once per day/Once per week)

Group Admins
For groups, we’ve added new notification types to let you know when admins update the group admin blast, as well as group description and rules. Additionally, group admins will now see notifications for the groups they admin as a separate tab so they can easily sort out the priority updates for their groups from personal notifications and from groups they don’t admin.

Please explore these new features and share your thoughts with us here.

* How are you planning on using the new features and how will they be beneficial to you and your activity on Flickr?
* Are you finding everything easy to use or do you have suggestions for improvements?
* As you start using the new Notifications Center, we'd love to hear how it keeps you in the loop with the people you follow and the groups that you're part of. Or, is there activity you feel like you're still missing?

We'll be slowly rolling out the feature to a small percentage of the community, then ramping up throughout the week as we monitor and feel good about the progress.

We really appreciate your time and feedback!

Thanks,

===============

Edits:

March 2, 2021: Staff response to feedback about the option to turn on or off notifications for all groups at once and additional follow-ups.

===============
March 3, 2021:

New ‘Options’ in your Groups page
As we are rolling out the new Notifications, you’ll also see updates to your Groups list page, where all of your groups are displayed. We’ve changed the name of “Faved Groups” to “Pinned Groups” to avoid conflating with the action of faveing photos/videos. Pinning a group will keep that group at the top of your list. There’s also a new column called Options, which lets you manage group notifications, show or hide groups from your activity feed, and more. If you desire, you can use the Options column on the Groups list page to mute/unmute each of your groups.

Group Discussion Notifications
Now, all group members will receive notifications for new group discussions. These notifications were previously only available to group admins and moderators. We hope this keeps you in the loop on more group discussions!

===============
March 11, 2021: Staff response to feedback about group notifications, mention notifications, pinned groups, and new ways to mute all notifications from a group.

===============
March 31, 2021: Staff update on managing comments and persististing notification filters in Notifications.

===============
April 15, 2021: Staff update on the increased size of the Notifications Center page.
Posted at 2:49PM, 26 February 2021 PDT ( permalink | reply )
Leticia Roncero (staff) edited this topic 4 months ago.

1 2 3 4 5 6 next →
(501 to 540 of 540 replies in [Updated April 15] Beginning Rollout of New Flickr Notifications Center and Settings)
view photos

mcnod says:

Jaap Kruger - Please read profile.:

This is a royal pain in the butt. It is making me reluctant to comment on photos because I will be flooded in spam.

1. Commenting on a photo does not create "spam".
2. You will receive notifications only on those activities you toggle on here:
www.flickr.com/account/email

Did you actually read the original post?
Posted 2 months ago. ( permalink | reply )

view photos

Martin_Heigan says:

The info is presented much clearer than before. Maybe some form of notification preference settings will address the issue of people seeing notifications that they don't want to see.

view photos

John_A68 says:

Really like the new notifications section, a huge improvement on the original.

view photos

Turkeybreath Images says:

I am not sure if it is part of the new changes, but when you put in a new header photo on your account, Flickr asks you to place it how you want, then you save, but the photo reverts to the non-saved location.

view photos

monosquare says:

I rarely use a PC version; I mainly use mobile or iPad so this new notification centre was quite a surprise to me. Honestly- I don't like being notified of further comments on the shot I had commented- it's too much Facebook-like which I'm not a big fan of. But it's good we can switch it off in the settings.

view photos

Keith Midson says:

I've had some issues with notifications for a while. My phone gives me a notification that i've received a fave, but no fave activity shows up in my notifications list on the app (iphone).

On my desktop - I clicked the 'faves' option in the notifications page and it shows me images that i've faved five years ago! ie. "Keith Midson faved [someone elses image] five years ago". All the other tabs seem to work fine.

view photos

roberke says:

voor mij is het O.K

view photos

nikonKindaGuy says:

I like the granularity of the notifications. being able to adjust or turn off ones I don't want is a very nice feature. We all get enough crap from our phones, social media and email. this helps filter out stuff we don't want.

view photos

StefanSpeidel says:

I like the choices of what is included in the notification, but I would like to be able to exclude all those comments which only consist of dropping some ugly 'batch' - to focus on those comments where someone actually commented.
Also: I would like to better see which group invitations are still unanswered.

view photos

LXG_Photos says:

Much better than the old system. I like the information and the ability to configure it as I need.

view photos

bartlomiej.chodyna says:

I like the current form of notifications, everything is visible now and I received clearly messages about events, above all I really appreciated the notification about followers, now I have one excellent option - one click and accept the button "follow" and that all what I need, previously I have to click on someone`s avatar, after that i download someone`s main page and click on the button to follow...it is a time-saving option...best regards :)

view photos

barronr says:

I'm loving the new notification centre, especially the group aspect. I can keep an eye on when pictures are uploaded so much quicker.

view photos

Nick L says:

Thank you for the update it is nice to get the group detail and the ability to update what I see, well done !

view photos

Franks Photos! says:

Much easier to read and sort through.........great work!

view photos

stanzebla says:

I like the group part, though it shows me posts that are ages old.

I don't like the personal part. It is difficult for me to follow who said what. Sometimes it groups my photographs and doesn't show me the content of the comment. At other times it groups the comments to one photo. I don't know what's the purpose to this. It was easier for me to follow the activity with the old layout. The main difference for me was, that the photo was left of the writing, at the begin of the notice. While now there are people at the begin of the notice. I am not so much into the "social" part of Flickr. To read the comments I click on the photograph anyways. That's why it is best for me to see the photograph first. On the left side. I am usually a conservative user of features in any online community and rarely open for radical changes. Especially if I don't see the need for a change. I understand that other people might be different. Or maybe it's just a more modern way. What do I know?

It is possible that this is a good update for smartphone users. As the notifications in the smartphone app look like this anyway. But honestly, if using the new notifications in a browser on a computer a lot of space is wasted.
stanzebla edited this topic 2 months ago.

view photos

Matt's photostream says:

I like the new notifications; they look cleaner and easier to use when viewed on my laptop.

view photos

Flower of the Woods says:

Why can't I turn off group invitations and followers notifications on Flickr just like I can turn off post notifications? I am getting a lot of unwanted spam on Flickr notification centre is there a way to turn them off?
Posted 6 weeks ago. ( permalink | reply )
Flower of the Woods edited this topic 6 weeks ago.

view photos

Peter Branger says:

This is a very rich functionality, a huge improvement

view photos

johnstewartnz says:

I used the old "recent activity" page to check what images have been added to Galleries, but all I get from the new notification centre is that I have none added yet. I know of several images that have been added to galleries recently.

view photos

Leo Kramp says:

Is rollout still ongoing?
I don’t have the new notification centre.

view photos

MixPix  says:

Whatever has been done, in my view it hasn't worked! You say " Emails we send you - Activity on you or your photos (Off/Immediately/Once per day/Once per week)". Well I wish it were so. Total absence of any email notifications!

Please see THIS
Posted 5 weeks ago. ( permalink | reply )

view photos

quicksilver coaches says:

What is the 'mute this notification' option supposed to do? I expected it to remove/hide the notification from the page but it doesn't appear to do anything as the notification is still there and the only change I can see is that the 'mute' option has become 'unmute'.

view photos

PeterThoeny says:

Please do not remove the classic "recent activity" page at www.flickr.com/activity/all/ now that we have the new "notification center"! The latter is not working for me after trying it out a number of times because:

1. too much whitespace, requiring excessive scrolling
2. no grouping of comments on a photo (better to show related items together, whereas the time based sequence violates that)
3. if I am off for a few days I can scroll down to catch up (good), however the recent activity page allows me to change from 1 day to 1 week, so I get that as well (with advantage of 2.)

view photos

Jan Nagalski says:

The last email notification I have received was on June 24. I have checked my spam folder, and my notifications settings several times with no success. Until two days ago, I received all email notifications, now nothing at all. Is there something I can do?

update: problem addressed promptly by Staff member Dominique, and the problem was fixed. Thanks.
Jan Nagalski edited this topic 4 weeks ago.

view photos

WalrusTexas says:

I haven’t seen any of these changes. No gear icon on the notifications box that drops down from the bell icon. Notifications & email options on my Your Account page haven’t changed at all.
Posted 4 weeks ago. ( permalink | reply )

view photos

Sonja778 says:

I am also not seeing the new Notifications page. I'm also wondering if this is still being rolled out so not visible to me yet.

view photos

Nethya Emor [LURE] says:

Seriously. Add an option to disable ALL groups you don't own or moderate instead of having to manually click them all.

view photos

Julie Sewell says:

Lol doesnt work, all i get is a blank screen on pc ( laptop ) OR mobi

As always 'upgrade' means tweakung something that currently works into something that DOESNT !
Posted 3 weeks ago. ( permalink | reply )

view photos

Dan Muses says:

I have noticed that I can see group invitations that I have accepted in the Notifications Center, if I accept them while in the Notification Center on my desktop computer, but if I accept a group invitation from the notifications list on the Flickr iPhone app, the invitation disappears from both the phone and the Notifications Center on my desktop computer. This appears to be a flaw. I would always like to continue to be able to look up prior group invitations, whether I accept them or decline them using the iPhone app or the computer. I understand the iPhone app will behave differently than the desktop browser version of Flickr, but if I return to the desktop browser, I should see prior group invitations there, ass I would if I exclusively used the browser.

view photos

Dan Muses says:

The new Notification Center is a great addition! I would like to have the ability to search notifications by username, in addition to separating comments, faves, etc.

view photos

booksin says:

I have not read all the prior comments, but I am finding the new notification system is extremely slow compared to the prior system. Are others having this same problem?

view photos

Thomas Hawk says:

So Flickr is not going to fix the recent activity page, which really was the most used and best page on Flickr... because they are deprecating the page and replacing it with a new "notifications" page.

Only it's been months now and many users apparently are ineligible to receive the new notifications page. When I try to go there I get a 404 error.

Any thought on when all users will be eligible to have the new notifications page? Is there a reason why some users still have not received it months after it's been announced?

view photos

andymulhearn says:

I've not dug into what additional options are available now to customise notifications but the new look and feel is a definite winner for me

view photos

WalrusTexas says:

I’m wondering why I still don’t have the (very nice) new features described in the blog for Notifications: blog.flickr.net/en/2021/03/02/introducing-the-new-flickr-...
I use Safari on Mac & iPad. Neither shows the new features. I have the “beta” format group page, which is not nearly as pretty as the current version, but provides vastly more information that is really helpful for admins, all available at a glance. Can’t think of anything else that might deprive me and a few others of what was billed as a completed roll-out, months ago.
Posted 2 weeks ago. ( permalink | reply )

view photos

Simon W. Photography says:

I like the new style Flickr Notifications. A welcome update in my opinion. I don't need to see all the admin blasts but they do serve a purpose of course.

view photos

Leo Kramp says:

WalrusTexas:

Exactly the same situation and setup here.
Flickrteam please shed a light on this issue.

view photos

Robert Stone Nature Photography says:

Too much white space!
Posted 7 days ago. ( permalink | reply )

view photos

JFGryphon says:

Leticia Roncero:

I like the old Recent Activities page.
I like seeing all the comments in a thread.
The new system seems to just give me a few arbitrary words unless I click on it -- it's hard to know which threads are worth clicking on.

Keep the old Recent Activities page.
Posted 4 days ago. ( permalink | reply )

view photos

nigel_aves says:

I am still NOT getting any email notifications to my yahoo email account. I stopped getting the notifications after the first change was made months ago. I've re-checked all my settings, everything seems to be setup correctly with email notifications : immediately
Posted 4 days ago. ( permalink | reply )

view photos

The Dutchlady says:

I keep getting the same message in my email account, over and over, telling me that two of my pictures are faved.
Posted 3 days ago. ( permalink | reply )

1 2 3 4 5 6 next →
(501 to 540 of 540 replies in [Updated April 15] Beginning Rollout of New Flickr Notifications Center and Settings)
Subscribe to a feed of stuff on this page... Feed – Subscribe to help discussion threads