Help / The Help Forum

This thread has been closed by Flickr Staff.

Hot Topics

[Official Thread] Have an idea for Flickr? Share it here.
Latest: 2 days ago
New Flickr Notifications Center and Settings available to all members.
Latest: 6 weeks ago
[Updated April 26, 2021] Flickr is moving payments to Stripe
Latest: 11 months ago
Welcome to the Flickr Help Forum! Click here to get started and to read our Forum Guidelines.
Latest: 17 months ago

Current Discussion

[Acknowledged by Flickr Staff] Sudden drop in overall views.
Latest: 60 minutes ago
[Acknowledged by Flickr Staff] Extremely low views and faves
Latest: 71 minutes ago
4K Apple TV - Flickr App not working
Latest: 7 hours ago
Gallery - What's this view of it ? (reply: Design before the 2018 Gallery page re-design.)
Latest: 10 hours ago
No New Notifications
Latest: 11 hours ago
How to see the see the most recent posts from all the people I follow
Latest: 16 hours ago
[Monitoring Fix] panda........
Latest: 17 hours ago
Why.
Latest: 17 hours ago
[Acknowledged by Flickr Staff] The "Your Inbox Appears Empty" bug strikes again
Latest: 18 hours ago
[Acknowledged by Flickr Staff] Feed page vs. People page
Latest: 18 hours ago
[Acknowledged by Flickr Staff] Recent Activity & Notifications - Very slow loading!
Latest: 19 hours ago
Albums not always showing in uploader
Latest: 24 hours ago
More...

Search the Help Forum

[Updated August 19 with Archiving Old Content] Rollout of New Flickr Notifications Center and Settings

Flickr Staff

Leticia Roncero says:

================

9/16/21: Summary of latest reply. If you have further questions or feedback about using the Notifications Center, please write to our Support team. The Recent Activity page will be sunset on December 15, 2021. Our latest reply also lists upcoming improvements that we'll be implementing based on your feedback and additional community feedback that we're taking into consideration.

================

This thread is a continuation of our original post here.

================

Today we’ve begun rolling out the new Flickr Notifications Center and Notifications Settings pages, which will simplify how you engage with other members of the community. We have included an FAQ in our Help Center, but we also wanted to share information and get your feedback here.

We’re expanding the current notifications from the bell icon at the top of Flickr and introducing a new tab for groups you admin. We’re also introducing a new Notifications Center page so you can see your notifications with more screen real estate.

The Notifications Center
The Notifications Center represents the first step to rebuilding the Recent Activity page to function more like modern notification centers. As such, there are a couple of significant changes in the way we’re presenting data in the new design that you’ll experience. To access the Notifications Center, click on the bell icon in the navigation bar at the top of Flickr, and at the bottom of the dropdown, you’ll see the link that used to read “View Recent Activity” now reads “View all notifications.” When you click that, you’ll be taken to the new Notifications Center.

Notifications Settings Page
The new Notifications Settings page, allows you to turn on or mute notifications by type.This page gives you complete control over your in-site notifications as well as email notifications to decide what you’re notified about, how you’re notified, and even how often. To access the Notifications Settings page, click on the bell icon in the navigation bar at the top of Flickr and you’ll notice a new gear icon that will take you to the Notifications Settings page.

You can now control the following web and email notifications:

Web Notifications
- Comments on your photos
- Comments on photos you’ve commented on
- Faves
- Followers
- Galleries
- Groups (you can manage notifications for each of your groups from here)
- Group invitations
- Messages (FlickrMail)
- Notes
- Tags
- Testimonials

Emails we send you
- Activity on you or your photos (Off/Immediately/Once per day/Once per week)
- Group Invitations
- Messages (FlickrMail)
- New followers
- Recent uploads from people you follow (Off/Immediately/Once per day/Once per week)

Group Admins
For groups, we’ve added new notification types to let you know when admins update the group admin blast, as well as group description and rules. Additionally, group admins will now see notifications for the groups they admin as a separate tab so they can easily sort out the priority updates for their groups from personal notifications and from groups they don’t admin.

Please explore these new features and share your thoughts with us here.

* How are you planning on using the new features and how will they be beneficial to you and your activity on Flickr?
* Are you finding everything easy to use or do you have suggestions for improvements?
* As you start using the new Notifications Center, we'd love to hear how it keeps you in the loop with the people you follow and the groups that you're part of. Or, is there activity you feel like you're still missing?

We'll be slowly rolling out the feature to a small percentage of the community, then ramping up throughout the week as we monitor and feel good about the progress.

We really appreciate your time and feedback!

Thanks,

===============

Edits:

March 2, 2021: Staff response to feedback about the option to turn on or off notifications for all groups at once and additional follow-ups.

===============
March 3, 2021:

New ‘Options’ in your Groups page
As we are rolling out the new Notifications, you’ll also see updates to your Groups list page, where all of your groups are displayed. We’ve changed the name of “Faved Groups” to “Pinned Groups” to avoid conflating with the action of faveing photos/videos. Pinning a group will keep that group at the top of your list. There’s also a new column called Options, which lets you manage group notifications, show or hide groups from your activity feed, and more. If you desire, you can use the Options column on the Groups list page to mute/unmute each of your groups.

Group Discussion Notifications
Now, all group members will receive notifications for new group discussions. These notifications were previously only available to group admins and moderators. We hope this keeps you in the loop on more group discussions!

===============
March 11, 2021: Staff response to feedback about group notifications, mention notifications, pinned groups, and new ways to mute all notifications from a group.

===============
March 31, 2021: Staff update on managing comments and persististing notification filters in Notifications.

===============
April 15, 2021: Staff update on the increased size of the Notifications Center page.

===============
August 19, 2021: Notifications updates with archiving old content + changes to the Recent Activity page.
Posted at 2:49PM, 26 February 2021 PDT ( permalink )
cabb88 (staff) edited this topic 5 weeks ago.

(501 to 600 of 624 replies in [Updated August 19 with Archiving Old Content] Rollout of New Flickr Notifications Center and Settings)
view photos

Martin_Heigan says:

The info is presented much clearer than before. Maybe some form of notification preference settings will address the issue of people seeing notifications that they don't want to see.
Posted 5 months ago. ( permalink )

view photos

John_A68 says:

Really like the new notifications section, a huge improvement on the original.

view photos

Turkeybreath Images says:

I am not sure if it is part of the new changes, but when you put in a new header photo on your account, Flickr asks you to place it how you want, then you save, but the photo reverts to the non-saved location.

view photos

monosquare says:

I rarely use a PC version; I mainly use mobile or iPad so this new notification centre was quite a surprise to me. Honestly- I don't like being notified of further comments on the shot I had commented- it's too much Facebook-like which I'm not a big fan of. But it's good we can switch it off in the settings.

view photos

Keith Midson says:

I've had some issues with notifications for a while. My phone gives me a notification that i've received a fave, but no fave activity shows up in my notifications list on the app (iphone).

On my desktop - I clicked the 'faves' option in the notifications page and it shows me images that i've faved five years ago! ie. "Keith Midson faved [someone elses image] five years ago". All the other tabs seem to work fine.

view photos

roberke says:

voor mij is het O.K

view photos

nikonKindaGuy says:

I like the granularity of the notifications. being able to adjust or turn off ones I don't want is a very nice feature. We all get enough crap from our phones, social media and email. this helps filter out stuff we don't want.

view photos

StefanSpeidel says:

I like the choices of what is included in the notification, but I would like to be able to exclude all those comments which only consist of dropping some ugly 'batch' - to focus on those comments where someone actually commented.
Also: I would like to better see which group invitations are still unanswered.

view photos

LXG_Photos says:

Much better than the old system. I like the information and the ability to configure it as I need.

view photos

bartlomiej.chodyna says:

I like the current form of notifications, everything is visible now and I received clearly messages about events, above all I really appreciated the notification about followers, now I have one excellent option - one click and accept the button "follow" and that all what I need, previously I have to click on someone`s avatar, after that i download someone`s main page and click on the button to follow...it is a time-saving option...best regards :)

view photos

barronr says:

I'm loving the new notification centre, especially the group aspect. I can keep an eye on when pictures are uploaded so much quicker.

view photos

Nick L says:

Thank you for the update it is nice to get the group detail and the ability to update what I see, well done !

view photos

Franks Photos! says:

Much easier to read and sort through.........great work!
Posted 4 months ago. ( permalink )

view photos

stanzebla says:

I like the group part, though it shows me posts that are ages old.

I don't like the personal part. It is difficult for me to follow who said what. Sometimes it groups my photographs and doesn't show me the content of the comment. At other times it groups the comments to one photo. I don't know what's the purpose to this. It was easier for me to follow the activity with the old layout. The main difference for me was, that the photo was left of the writing, at the begin of the notice. While now there are people at the begin of the notice. I am not so much into the "social" part of Flickr. To read the comments I click on the photograph anyways. That's why it is best for me to see the photograph first. On the left side. I am usually a conservative user of features in any online community and rarely open for radical changes. Especially if I don't see the need for a change. I understand that other people might be different. Or maybe it's just a more modern way. What do I know?

It is possible that this is a good update for smartphone users. As the notifications in the smartphone app look like this anyway. But honestly, if using the new notifications in a browser on a computer a lot of space is wasted.
stanzebla edited this topic 4 months ago.

view photos

Matt's photostream says:

I like the new notifications; they look cleaner and easier to use when viewed on my laptop.

view photos

Flower of the Woods says:

Why can't I turn off group invitations and followers notifications on Flickr just like I can turn off post notifications? I am getting a lot of unwanted spam on Flickr notification centre is there a way to turn them off?
Flower of the Woods edited this topic 4 months ago.

view photos

Peter Branger says:

This is a very rich functionality, a huge improvement

view photos

johnstewartnz says:

I used the old "recent activity" page to check what images have been added to Galleries, but all I get from the new notification centre is that I have none added yet. I know of several images that have been added to galleries recently.

view photos

Leo Kramp says:

Is rollout still ongoing?
I don’t have the new notification centre.

view photos

MixPix  says:

Whatever has been done, in my view it hasn't worked! You say " Emails we send you - Activity on you or your photos (Off/Immediately/Once per day/Once per week)". Well I wish it were so. Total absence of any email notifications!

Please see THIS

view photos

quicksilver coaches says:

What is the 'mute this notification' option supposed to do? I expected it to remove/hide the notification from the page but it doesn't appear to do anything as the notification is still there and the only change I can see is that the 'mute' option has become 'unmute'.

view photos

PeterThoeny says:

Please do not remove the classic "recent activity" page at www.flickr.com/activity/all/ now that we have the new "notification center"! The latter is not working for me after trying it out a number of times because:

1. too much whitespace, requiring excessive scrolling
2. no grouping of comments on a photo (better to show related items together, whereas the time based sequence violates that)
3. if I am off for a few days I can scroll down to catch up (good), however the recent activity page allows me to change from 1 day to 1 week, so I get that as well (with advantage of 2.)

view photos

Jan Nagalski says:

The last email notification I have received was on June 24. I have checked my spam folder, and my notifications settings several times with no success. Until two days ago, I received all email notifications, now nothing at all. Is there something I can do?

update: problem addressed promptly by Staff member Dominique, and the problem was fixed. Thanks.
Jan Nagalski edited this topic 4 months ago.

view photos

WalrusTexas says:

I haven’t seen any of these changes. No gear icon on the notifications box that drops down from the bell icon. Notifications & email options on my Your Account page haven’t changed at all.

view photos

Sonja778 says:

I am also not seeing the new Notifications page. I'm also wondering if this is still being rolled out so not visible to me yet.

view photos

Nethya Emor [LURE] says:

Seriously. Add an option to disable ALL groups you don't own or moderate instead of having to manually click them all.

view photos

Julie Sewell says:

Lol doesnt work, all i get is a blank screen on pc ( laptop ) OR mobi

As always 'upgrade' means tweakung something that currently works into something that DOESNT !

view photos

Dan Muses says:

I have noticed that I can see group invitations that I have accepted in the Notifications Center, if I accept them while in the Notification Center on my desktop computer, but if I accept a group invitation from the notifications list on the Flickr iPhone app, the invitation disappears from both the phone and the Notifications Center on my desktop computer. This appears to be a flaw. I would always like to continue to be able to look up prior group invitations, whether I accept them or decline them using the iPhone app or the computer. I understand the iPhone app will behave differently than the desktop browser version of Flickr, but if I return to the desktop browser, I should see prior group invitations there, ass I would if I exclusively used the browser.

view photos

Dan Muses says:

The new Notification Center is a great addition! I would like to have the ability to search notifications by username, in addition to separating comments, faves, etc.

view photos

booksin says:

I have not read all the prior comments, but I am finding the new notification system is extremely slow compared to the prior system. Are others having this same problem?

view photos

Thomas Hawk says:

So Flickr is not going to fix the recent activity page, which really was the most used and best page on Flickr... because they are deprecating the page and replacing it with a new "notifications" page.

Only it's been months now and many users apparently are ineligible to receive the new notifications page. When I try to go there I get a 404 error.

Any thought on when all users will be eligible to have the new notifications page? Is there a reason why some users still have not received it months after it's been announced?
Posted 3 months ago. ( permalink )

view photos

andymulhearn says:

I've not dug into what additional options are available now to customise notifications but the new look and feel is a definite winner for me

view photos

WalrusTexas says:

I’m wondering why I still don’t have the (very nice) new features described in the blog for Notifications: blog.flickr.net/en/2021/03/02/introducing-the-new-flickr-...
I use Safari on Mac & iPad. Neither shows the new features. I have the “beta” format group page, which is not nearly as pretty as the current version, but provides vastly more information that is really helpful for admins, all available at a glance. Can’t think of anything else that might deprive me and a few others of what was billed as a completed roll-out, months ago.

view photos

Simon W. Photography says:

I like the new style Flickr Notifications. A welcome update in my opinion. I don't need to see all the admin blasts but they do serve a purpose of course.

view photos

Leo Kramp says:

WalrusTexas:

Exactly the same situation and setup here.
Flickrteam please shed a light on this issue.

view photos

Robert Stone Nature Photography says:

Too much white space!

view photos

JFGryphon says:

Leticia Roncero:

I like the old Recent Activities page.
I like seeing all the comments in a thread.
The new system seems to just give me a few arbitrary words unless I click on it -- it's hard to know which threads are worth clicking on.

Keep the old Recent Activities page.

view photos

nigel_aves says:

I am still NOT getting any email notifications to my yahoo email account. I stopped getting the notifications after the first change was made months ago. I've re-checked all my settings, everything seems to be setup correctly with email notifications : immediately

view photos

The Dutchlady says:

I keep getting the same message in my email account, over and over, telling me that two of my pictures are faved.

view photos

stanzebla says:

I really like the group notifications in the new notifications page but I dislike the sorting of the notifications concerning comments to my photograph. It's not sorted at all. I'd like it to be sorted as notifications per picture not notifications per user. It's not practical. I wouldn't answer the other user on their pages I would answer under the photograph. If I'd click on my photograph to answer I wouldn't answer only the one user you were notifying me about. I would answer to all comments. Or I just don't understand what you are doing, but then that's not really good either. ;) Or let me put it like this. Even though some notifications of activity are better in the new notification center than in the activity page, others are worse. I can't see to what I already answered. So if you plan to make the new notification center the new replacement for the activity page then it doesn't work. I have never been using the notification center before. I even coded it out of the browser for quite some time, because it stresses me to see 99 "clocks". In other words: I don't need a notification center I only need the activity page.
Posted 2 months ago. ( permalink )
stanzebla edited this topic 2 months ago.

view photos

Dale Harding says:

Still prefer the original "Recent Activity" and the way it is presented. This is just one massive long list and a bit disjointed.

view photos

David441491 says:

To be honest, I find the interface not as easy to use or clear as the current Recent Activity. The text is not as useful and detailed, and I do not like the wide gap between the photo thumbnail and the text. I would like to see the thumb moved back to the left side so that it is up against the text at a minimum.

view photos

Lemon~art says:

The new notifications page is good but it does not replace the Recent Activity page. It is much more useful to see all the new comments on each individual photo. (The new notifications page only gives you the last comment)

view photos

Wendy: says:

I’d prefer to keep both types of notifications! I use recent activity on one site and the new notifications on another!

view photos

Flickr Staff

Leticia Roncero says:

Hi all,

Today, I'm excited to announce a pretty significant update to our new Notifications system.

With this update, available to those of you who already have access to the new experience, you’ll now see new notifications, rather than seeing new notifications plus every previous notification of a type associated with that photo/video/group, etc. Let's take an example:

In the old format, let's say I had uploaded a photo five years ago, and it had 45 faves already. If a couple of folks named Pat and John came along and faved it today, the notification would read, "Pat and John and 45 other people faved your photo." We were showing the count of the entire history of faves on the photo in the notification, even though some of the faves might have been five years old.

In the new format with this hypothetical example, you'll get a notification that says, "Pat and John faved your photo." We're surfacing what has happened recently and seems most relevant.

Likewise, we've changed some of the models for how notifications are presented, with the intent to cut down on the noise when, for example, one person faves a bunch of your photos. In the past, if Pat faved ten of your photos, you would have received ten separate notifications. With the new model, we'll now simply show you a batch notification that says "Pat faved ten photos" with thumbnails for those ten photos.

Here is a visual example with some test accounts. This is how it will now look when Shirley Jenner faves four photos.

Changes to the Recent Activity page

If you regularly use Recent Activity, you're going to notice a disruption to the navigation at the bottom of that page. Because we are archiving old notifications as described above, we're not able to maintain pagination at the bottom of Recent Activity. So where you previously could see page 1, 2, 3, etc., until the last page, you will now use a "next →" button to navigate. We’ve added a "start" button as well so that you don't have to use the back arrow on your browser.

If you notice that previous items you muted are showing up for you with new reactions in Recent Activity, this is due to the way the archiving data is stored. If you want to mute comments on a particular photo/video, for example, you’ll need to do that in the new Notifications to have it work on Recent Activity. This backwards compatibility from the new Notifications to Recent Activity is one way, which means that if you mute a thread in the new Notifications, it will also mute in Recent Activity. This won't work the other way around where a mute in Recent Activity would carry into the new Notifications.

If you regularly use Recent Activity and haven't explored the new Notifications, please do and let us know your thoughts. Also, please let us know if you notice any issues with the archiving of older content in the new Notifications under the bell icon or in the Notifications Center at www.flickr.com/notifications

view photos

kurtwolf303 says:

I prefer the old Recent Activity. `

Why cut off the fave-history in the new version?
Problems with memory space ?
No more pagination at the bottom of the page ?
Switching back and forth between versions to mute comments ???

And what is your explanation for this instance?:

For example in the new Notifications this is how faves are listed :

"Mr/Mrs XY and 8 more persons faved your photo ....."

Who exactly are the 8 persons ? I have to open the photo and search manually for those persons.

In the old Recent Activity it`s a simple list with a link to the persons
pages.....

Looks like a copy of "500px".........;-)

All in all, if something isn`t broken, then don`t try to fix it :-)

Kind regards !
kurtwolf303 edited this topic 2 months ago.

view photos

koothenholly says:

Leticia Roncero:
Hi Leticia
You say:
"If you want to mute comments on a particular photo/video, for example, you’ll need to do that in the new Notifications to have it work on Recent Activity. This backwards compatibility from the new Notifications to Recent Activity is one way, which means that if you mute a thread in the new Notifications, it will also mute in Recent Activity.“
But I am getting comments on photos which I have just checked on the New Notifications and they are muted already. Checked by filtering in New Notications to “Muted Notifications” and these are the ones now in my Recent Activity, with apparently no way of turning them off. If they are muted on the New version why have they suddenly started coming through on Recent Activity - which is consequently full of "comments since yours".
How do I clear these notifications?

view photos

phil anker says:

Please give us back the red button to mute notifications in recent activity. One touch operation, what can be more simple. If it ain`t broke don`t fix it.

view photos

Jenny Pics says:

I prefer viewing recent activity the old way.
With this new version I can only view a limited amount of activity.
I need to see all activity on photos so I don't miss comments and group invitations. Can we have the option to go back to the old version please?
Using the next button does not work. I'm only able to view a couple of pages of Recent Activity on My Photos.

view photos

Viejito says:

I assume that quite a few flickrites would want to know, when one of their photos is faved, whether that is its 23rd or 100th fave, no matter if some of those faves are from quite a while ago.

view photos

kurtwolf303 says:

Viejito:

I second that !!!

view photos

BlueVoter - thanks for 3.3M views says:

I don't like the new notification center on the web. I already have it on my iPad app.

I'd like to keep messages to me and favorites separate from the long string of notifications that arise whenever someone makes a comment on some photo that I might have commented upon in 2006. Too much clutter with the combination.

Please keep the notification of favorites and requests to post in groups separate, as things currently stand.

view photos

sdttds says:

Ive never muted anything. It now appears, on this page, that there is almost no activity. I have 1, maybe two items showing as having activity, and the Next button doesn't work.

I do not like this, because I can't see recent activity. I like to be able to remove inappropriate comments, respond to nice ones, block spammers and respond to group invites. I am unable to do any of these. Please restore old settings. These do not work.

I started this thread about it.

Between this, the messed up stats (with staff failing to respond adequately to complaints), I am frustrated. Please take better care of your paying customers.

www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157719671587634/#reply7...
sdttds edited this topic 2 months ago.

view photos

Keith now in Wiltshire says:

Since errors started appearing in the operation of Recent Activity over 24 hours ago I have now discovered the 'new' Notifications pages that according to replies to this thread appear to have been launched 6 months ago. I endorse many of the previous posts whereby the new approach is far less satidfactory.

One particular error is that in new Notifications list "Comments on photos you have commented on" i have no photos listed at all whereas in the old "Recent Activity - Replies to my comments" it is, correctly, showing a list of several unmuted records. This particular issue certainly needs to be fixed.

The old system provides an opportunity to see individual replies and comments without having to open the actual photo page and scan them. The summary only lists that there have been a number of comments so that each photo now has to be opened in turn to see what they are and then come back to the list to mute any. That is a big deal that makes the new notifications unworkable.

I don't want to knock the staff for the effort being put in to make improvements as I'm sure some of these efforts will provide some useful methods for keeping track of and analysing activity. However, it is essential not to do this a t the cost of losing good and more important functionality.

view photos

Cicay says:

I also prefer the previous version,
because I am particularly interested in the total number of favorites.
I use the total number of favorites to categorize
I don't like these recent changes at all!
Please change this back to the previous status!

view photos

roba66 off says:

roba66 off edited this topic 2 months ago.

view photos

Ger Bosma says:

Leticia Roncero:

Please also read my extensive feedback here.
www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157719758445655/

I think the new set-up for the bell notifications is fatally flawed.
What use is it to have the total number of faves not mentioned anymore and now having useless subsets of faves given that give no relevant info whatsoever.

My latest upload is now under the bell notifications showing up with
- Person X and 29 faved your image - yesterday (at 20h ago)
- Y +12 faves today (11h ago)
- Z + 3 faves (8h ago)
- one fave (by the WalrusTexas) 1 h ago.

Total 48, which is corresponding with the photo page.
But that number is never mentioned under the bell and tallies seem to be broken up at random moments.

view photos

Ger Bosma says:

Leticia Roncero:

In the old format, let's say I had uploaded a photo five years ago, and it had 45 faves already. If a couple of folks named Pat and John came along and faved it today, the notification would read, "Pat and John and 45 other people faved your photo."

As said, that's NOT what I'm seeing.
There are no meaningful actual totals for any photo anymore available under the bell notifications.

The only way to get those is go to the individual photo page or use recent activity - which means the bell icon has lost 90% of its relevancy for me. Only for admin tasks it may still serve a limited purpose.

view photos

kurtwolf303 says:

Ger Bosma:

Quote . "Only for admin tasks it may still serve a limited purpose.".

No, it does not. I`m admin and it serves me no purpose at all. In fact, it makes my "job" even more difficult.

view photos

roba66 off says:

Leticia Roncero:

Hi , I am ADM in more groups , I have 45 Mill. views , 23000 pics in my Flickr forum about 1000 groups, and I work every day in the "old" "latest activity" . There I look every day about 15-20 pages and more for all faves and comments in my images from 1minute to 24 hours back , step by step.. ..
This new activity is impossible for me .
I prefer (NEED) the old Recent Activity this new one is sooooo bad..
SORRY ; PLEASE EXCUSE MY BAD ENGLISH.`
and

Why cut off the fave-history in the new version?Problems with memory space ?No more pagination at the bottom of the page ?
Switching back and forth between versions to mute comments ???
And what is your explanation for this instance?
For example in the new Notifications this is how faves are listed :
"Mr/Mrs XY and 8 more persons faved your photo ....."
Who exactly are the 8 persons ? I have to open the photo and search manually for those persons.

!!!!!!In the old Recent Activity it`s a simple list with a link to the persons
pages.....
All in all, if something isn`t broken, then don`t try to fix it :-)
and ..

With this new version I can only view a limited amount of activity.
I need to see all activity on photos so I don't miss comments and group invitations. Can we have the option to go back to the old version please?
Using the next button does not work. I'm only able to view a couple of pages of Recent Activity on My Photos.
and
I assume that quite a few flickrites would want to know, when one of their photos is faved, whether that is its 23rd or 100th fave, no matter if some of those faves are from quite a while ago.

Please give us the old activity - can not work withthe new one !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
regards
Rolf (roba66)

view photos

Donkey Hot-tea says:

roba66:

I go along with everything you say. This new notifications is awful.

PLEASE!!! Give us back the choice to return to the old 'Recent Activity'.

view photos

roba66 off says:

Leticia Roncero:

2. INFO

Hi Leticia,
The new version of "last activity" is absolute nonsense that nobody can do anything with.
I just opened one page after the other with "continue" for 1 hour. That doesn't make any sense - once there are 15 images per page, then 2 or 3 or again 10 or 5. And all of this without logic and understanding - with the last award of 6 seconds then 40 minutes or 7 hours or 4 weeks (nobody cares) and you can no longer recognize the faves per picture in chronological order.
I have the feeling that the person who developed this has never worked with this forum on a daily basis and has no idea what you can actually do with this listing (as it has since) (I am happy to explain it to him.
Who should be able to start with this new crap? A shambles without meaning and understanding.
You can't offer such nonsense - can you?
I'm sorry but i'm so upset.
Rolf (roba66)

view photos

Su Bayfield says:

I agree with all the adverse comments about the new notifications and recent activity pages. I use Recent Activity to reply to new comments, however old the pictures are and also to mute other people's pictures I may have commented on. We've worked this way for many many years - why change now? PLEASE bring back the old way of doing things.

view photos

Ger Bosma says:

Still f'd up (but not beyond repair yet LOL)

Update: my shoveller upload (Friday) now has 7 different mentions under the bell icon of people faving it over the last 40 hours or so. Number of faves grouped together appear totally random: 29, seven, one, three, two, eight, three etc.

Needless to say, nowhere are any totals given, as specified incorrectly by staff.

Leticia Roncero:

In the old format, let's say I had uploaded a photo five years ago, and it had 45 faves already. If a couple of folks named Pat and John came along and faved it today, the notification would read, "Pat and John and 45 other people faved your photo." We were showing the count of the entire history of faves on the photo in the notification, even though some of the faves might have been five years old.

In its current shape alas it is an ill-conceived disaster area now and the former version should be restored ASAP.

view photos

antonychammond says:

I agree! It's taking me a lot of extra time to track and find comments and faves, extra time which I simply don't have to spare. Please please bring back the old system as soon as possible. Thanks

view photos

kurtwolf303 says:

Well Leticia Roncera, I´m still not excited......

I honestly and seriously tried to work with the new version and it still is CRAP.

May I quote Roba66 :

"I have the feeling that the person who developed this has never worked with this forum on a daily basis and has no idea what you can actually do with this listing (as it has since) ".

I guess, there`s nothing more to say about this mess.

Regards

view photos

Finn Frode (DK) says:

Ger Bosma:

In its current shape alas it is an ill-conceived disaster area now and the former version should be restored ASAP.

I agree. I've tried working with the new version and besides beeing slow, it does not fill my wishes.
p.s. And I still need a way to mute messages that I have commented on from 'Recent activity'.
Finn Frode (DK) edited this topic 2 months ago.

view photos

erichudson78 says:

I agree. Please bring back the old system. The new one is a mess. I can't find the last comments so I can't answer.

view photos

WalrusTexas says:

Never saw the new bell icon, and now I see nothing at all. I guess that’s good news; ie, an indication that there are improvements in progress.
Wishing you every success in the update!

view photos

WalrusTexas says:

Well, an hour later, the bell is back, unchanged from last year's version. this is my experience on Safari in Mac and iPad, not sure what's happening for the rest of you.

view photos

Ger Bosma says:

WalrusTexas:

the bell is back, unchanged from last year's version.

Weird that 4 months after the admin tab functionality was introduced
www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157718447996213/page5/#...
it's still not showing for you.

Maybe they'll upgrade you to the 2.0 version and we will be downgraded....
ahem, also upgraded to it once more LOL

view photos

WalrusTexas says:

Ger Bosma:

Yes, strange to be an outlier. I’m still using the Beta version of the Group page—so much better than the alternative. Or there’s some other weirdness …

view photos

trimethylxanthine2 says:

apart from the mess that is recent activities, notification entries are lagging

view photos

Ger Bosma says:

Leticia Roncero:

Another update about the multiple & random entries under the bell icon that now report faves, while omitting totals.

My Peregrine falcons upload (Saturday) is showing 7 or 8 different messages reporting people faved the image in the last 42 hours or so.

However adding all of those up does NOT reflect the number of current faves (361), but only about 145.

So it's not only totally useless, but also broken.

Please fix this by rolling back these terrible changes ASAP. Thanks. (-;

view photos

kurtwolf303 says:

Leticia Roncero:

Hi !
Since there is no answer or reaction to the mostly negative posts here in the forum, I suppose you don`t read them ?

Apart from all the other troubles with the so-called "new Notifications",who made the decision to cut off older faves ? We, as paying members,certainly did not, because they are a part of the statistics.

More important, how can you explain this example:

"nonfestino und 4 weitere favorisierten “Washing Day”.

Which means, that I have a direct link to "nonfestino", but to find the 4 more who faved the photo I have to open the photo and search manually in the dropdownlist.

In the old recent activity it is a simple list besides the photo with the names, the links and the time it was faved. And yes, this is very important and time-saving, especially as admin.

Try both the old and the new system and I´m sure you will find the difference.....

To bring it to the point : For members randomly checking Flickr with their smartphones,the new version might be more or less okay - and "modern".

But really "working " with it is impossible.

Regards
kurtwolf303 edited this topic 2 months ago.

view photos

Jeff Lack Wildlife&Nature says:

Email notifications NOT Being rec'd again, can you please sort this issue !
This was reported last week with a response and temp improvement...now back to NOT Receiving e-mail notification!!

view photos

matt duke - thanks for 100M+ views! says:

I continue to use the the old Recent Activity feature which meets my needs much better than the new notifications feature.. I want to see activity grouped by image and cumulative total faves for an image which the new notifications feature does not provide.

But now the Recent Activity page is not working properly. Please note the following bugs:

- Images and related notifications keep repeating when I click through the Next pages. And without the page counter there is no way to tell when I've reviewed all the notifications.

- I set my notifications to "in the last day", but see notifications going back before 1 day (new follow notifications)

- There is literally no end to NEXT pages. Since it keeps loading different versions of the same notifications there is literally no way to know when I have reviewed all the recent activity.

- Also, I understand this is not a bug, but losing the page numbers is a BIG drawback to the redesign.
matt duke - thanks for 100M+ views! edited this topic 2 months ago.

view photos

Flickr Staff

Leticia Roncero says:

Jenny Pics:

so I don't miss comments and group invitations

Hey Jenni, you should find all comments and group invitations in the new Notifications Center as well. Here, you can filter your notifications by type. For example, show only notifications for comments or only notifications for group invitations. You can select different filters (depending on what kind of info you want to see at a given moment) at the top of the page with the dropdown that says "All notifications."

Another tip: when you click on a comment notification from the Notifications Center page, you will get a modal that lets you scroll through all the comments on the photo without leaving the Notifications dropdown or Notifications Center, and you can also reply to the comments from that modal!

view photos

Flickr Staff

Leticia Roncero says:

Keith now in Wiltshire:

in new Notifications list "Comments on photos you have commented on" i have no photos listed at all

Hi Keith, can you check here www.flickr.com/account/email to see if you have the setting for "Comments on photos you've commented on" turned off by default? That may explain why you don't see any notifications when applying that filter. If so, you should be able to turn it back on.

Keith now in Wiltshire:
The old system provides an opportunity to see individual replies and comments without having to open the actual photo page and scan them

In the new Notifications Center page here, when you click on a comment notification, you will get a modal that lets you scroll through all the comments on the photo without leaving the Notifications Center, and you can also reply to the comments from that modal, so that you don't have to open the actual photo page.

Please let me know if that works!

view photos

Flickr Staff

Leticia Roncero says:

WalrusTexas:

strange to be an outlier.

Hi, the new Notifications experience is still available to only a subset of our members (while we work on incorporating some of their feedback), so that may explain why you're not seeing any new changes. But we'll be rolling it out to everybody very soon. Stay tuned!
Leticia Roncero (staff) edited this topic 2 months ago.

view photos

SJH Foto says:

The recent activity page is NOT working! Why are you closing threads about this, and not fixing it? They are not in the notifications page and they are not in the recent activity page! Are you going to fix the activity page?

view photos

Ger Bosma says:

Leticia Roncero:

while we work on incorporating some of their feedback

I have left lots of very instructive feedback over the past two days and you feel no need to reply?

(Or roll back the last 'update')

I hardly feel taken seriously.
Maybe I can opt out of 'the subset', because clearly it means unfinished 'developments' can get foisted on you at any moment without being able to opt out or give feedback while these updates should still be betatesting.

view photos

shawn~white says:

Leticia Roncero:

Hi Leticia
Overall I prefer the old notifications/recent activity. I certainly like the grouping in notifications where someone faves several photos, and agree it does 'cut down on the noise'. However, this improvement isn't passed on to the iOS app, furthermore the frequent restarts for images adds noise, lots of it. For example a recently uploaded picture can have 8 lines after half a day, 4 for comments, and 4 for faves.

Thanks

view photos

antonychammond says:

The link is still not working properly. Not only is it slow in getting going but I have to keeping clicking on different viewing settings (monthly, weekly etc) to bring the link up again! Please please go back to the previous system as soon as possible as this issue is seriously affecting my enjoyment of the flickr site! Thank you.

view photos

roba66 off says:

Leticia Roncero:

INFO III
- still no answer from flickr, so again !!!!
the pace in the new Recent Activity is the smallest problem.
The whole system has absolutely no meaning and understanding. You can't work with it like since then,
It is important in this RA list that you can recognize or see all pictures on which a comment, invitation or fave from the current point in time in the course of time at least for about 5 days (i.e. everything that has happened to "mine") is. So 1st picture for example. 5 sec, 2nd picture 10 sec etc. up to possibly 60 hours .. In principle as usual (always approx. 15-20 pictures per page, back after the elapsed time)
Now today comes e.g. on page 1 !!!! one picture 6 hours back, page 2 - ..8 pictures - approx. 65 sec to 10 hours back
Page 3. 3 pictures ... 3-18 hours back - everything confused and without a comprehensible system. You can't do anything with that.
I just wanted to have said again.
Ciao
Rolf

view photos

Flickr Staff

cabb88 says:

Ger Bosma:

Hi, Ger. We've seen your posts and will respond soon. Also, just a reminder to keep the conversation friendly here in the help forum. We'll do our best to help address the questions and concerns shared here and make sure that everyone can make use of the new notifications system.

view photos

SJH Foto says:

cabb88:

Hello. I 100% agree with you about keeping conversations friendly. I try to always be courteous in my speech and typing. That said, there is a growing and understandable frustration among members because of the way updates are sprung on us-usually still with bugs in them, and the fact that rather than acknowledging the problem, flickr seems to either ignore it, or ask questions of us that are difficult for us to answer, and then proceed to continue ignoring us. I truly believe that you guys are working to improve your website (why would you not?), but keeping the lines of communication open would be a very big step towards doing it!

Not just communicating problems to us, but how about polls before you change the website? If the members want it, have at it, and if they want it left as it was, that actually translates into less work for you (since you don't have to reprogram the website)!

The entire "recent activity" page errors is an example of an exercise in frustration. Not only are there errors, but I feel that employees here have actively gone out of their way to quash threads that complain about it. Why not address the PROBLEM and your methods for fixing it?

view photos

Donkey Hot-tea says:

I just can't cope with all this Spam. I can't get rid of comments after my comments no matter how I tinker with the settings.

This isn't my main (or even secondary account) so I've been very active on Flickr for over seven years.

But that's it! NO more comments on other people's photos. It won't stop the Spam from those I've already commented on over the years but, with luck, it might limit any new cr*p until someone at Flickr HQ sees sense and allows people to switch back to the old 'Recent Activity'.

view photos

Flickr Staff

Matthew Almon Roth says:

Donkey Hot Tea:

This isn't my main (or even secondary account) so I've been very active on Flickr for over seven years.

Can you share a link to an account that is getting the comment after comment spam? I don't see any notifications on this account and it is not in the new experience yet.

Screen Shot 2021-08-23 at 2.04.38 PM

For an account that is in the new Notifications experience, you would go to your settings page and switch the "Comments on photos you've commented on" toggle. Settings page is at www.flickr.com/account/email

thanks,
Matthew

view photos

Donkey Hot-tea says:

Matthew Almon Roth:

Yes, I have used that toggle to switch off comments - several days ago.

I have already contacted Flickr Support via my main account and received a response from Nafeesa to which I have already replied. I am just waiting for them to come back to me again.

view photos

Flickr Staff

Leticia Roncero says:

trimethylxanthine2:

notification entries are lagging

Hi there, how long does the lag last? We're currently investigating notifications loading performance issues for people who are experiencing loading speeds of over 8-10 seconds.

view photos

Flickr Staff

Leticia Roncero says:

koothenholly:

If they are muted on the New version why have they suddenly started coming through on Recent Activity

Hi koothenholly,

We're looking into fixing this issue so that everything you mute in the new Notifications system will also mute in Recent Activity.

view photos

Flickr Staff

Matthew Almon Roth says:

Ger Bosma:

My latest upload is now under the bell notifications showing up with
- Person X and 29 faved your image - yesterday (at 20h ago)
- Y +12 faves today (11h ago)
- Z + 3 faves (8h ago)
- one fave (by the WalrusTexas) 1 h ago.

Hi Ger,
thank you for this feedback. First, I want to note that what you have described above is exactly how the new Notifications are designed and meant to be implemented. We show you new notifications based on new activity on your content, but not a history of all the activity over time on that content. With the archiving of older content described by Leticia and the example you gave for your recent upload, you will see notifications for the new action type (e.g. faves) since you last checked your notifications (with a small window so those refreshing frequently in the same visit don’t have that notification type archived until their next visit). This is intentional.

Recent Activity and Notifications
To address the questions that have been raised about Recent Activity by Ger and others, I’d like to share details about some of the decisions we made that I hope is useful. Recent Activity on Flickr was built more than 15 years ago and hasn’t been updated much since then. When we looked at completing and augmenting the notifications under the bell icon (work that had been done around 5 years ago), we knew we weren’t going to do any development on Recent Activity because it is an old model for notifications that isn’t common pretty much anywhere on the internet anymore. Further, it is built in the old legacy code base of Flickr, which we maintain for pages that have use, but don’t regularly update in a meaningful way.

As we were designing the new Notifications center, we were straddling a divide: build a notifications center that is familiar and recognizable to new people who come to Flickr for the first time and expect modern notifications, while providing parity of features from RA for those who like RA. The new notifications have nearly every feature that was in RA, though the data is presented quite differently and in ways that mirror other notifications systems.

We’re keenly aware that this update is going to impact the people who love RA and it’s likely going to make them upset, but this is a choice we have made to modernize Flickr’s notifications infrastructure. We want new people in our community and we need them to be able to know what is happening with their account and it’s a lot of cognitive load to learn a new/old model (e.g. RA) that doesn’t reflect other sites or apps they are likely used to using. We’ve seen this in surveys and feedback; we’ve seen it in usage of the existing notifications bell (which is far less feature-rich than RA or the new notifications, yet far more heavily used than RA).

All that said, there are a couple of pieces of feedback that we’ve been hearing here that we are looking into building. We are looking at how we can bring the fave modal that is currently on the photo page (e.g. “[person 1], [person 2] and [n more people] faved your photo”) into the Notifications Center and under the bell icon. We’ve wanted to update that fave modal to have more functionality, so this is a perfect time to do so. We’ll work on that after we get 100% of the community into the new system.

The other feature we’re exploring is the ability to hide an individual notification without muting it, which a number of folks have discussed. It’s clear that some folks were using RA as a checklist or to do list, where they would hide an update after they had seen it so that they could move on to other updates or so they could come back and address other updates. We are looking at how we might add this feature to the new Notifications and will gather feedback from our members.

I would guess I’ve left some of you with a bad taste still regarding the changes, but I wanted to be sure you had an explanation of some of the thinking behind these changes.

Thank you,
Matthew Roth
Flickr Product team

view photos

SJH Foto says:

Matthew Almon Roth:

Matthew, here is the problem-there ARE images that I have commented on that I want to see the replies of-just not all of them. For example, if I ask a question of a sports photographer on his image, I want to see his reply. Alternatively, if I commend the image on today's explore, I do not want to see ALL of the comments (or really any) of flickr members after me that make comments.

Before this "upgrade", users were able to turn off notifications for specific images-can you reinstate that?

And while I have your attention, your recent activity page is still not showing all of the comments made to my images. For instance, this photo:

www.flickr.com/photos/sjhfoto/51389646548

has a comment, yet, the recent activity page does not show this.
Come on guys, I know there have been many more people complaining about this

view photos

matt duke - thanks for 100M+ views! says:

Matthew Almon Roth:

Hello,
Can someone please respond to the bugs I listed above on the Recent Activity page? To reiterate:

- Images and related notifications keep repeating when I click the Next page button.

- I set my notifications to "in the last day", but get notifications going back before 1 day (specifically new follow notifications)

- There does not appear to be an end to the NEXT pages. I've clicked it about 20 times with notifications set to "in the last day". It just keeps recycling the same notifications in different orders over and over.

PLEASE restore the Recent Activity page to its prior functionality. I've been a Pro flickr member for 15 years and I really prefer it to the new notifications feature.
Thank you.
matt duke - thanks for 100M+ views! edited this topic 2 months ago.

view photos

Clement Tang * says:

Leticia Roncero:

Matthew Almon Roth:

Can the staff see that the Notification chronological order of Recent Activity is a mess?

Here is my example:
13min, 72min, 4hr, 6hr, 8hr, 8hr, 11hr, 18hr, 19hr, 20hr, 20hr, 20hr, 21hr, 21hr.

Which seems fine, but after hitting "Next" I got this:
16min, 20hr,75min,18hr,20hr,8min, 8hr, 21hr, 8hr,22hr, 6hr, 4hr, 34hr.

Most of the notifications/images keep repeating in a funny order. I can't get to earlier ones.

IT IS REALLY FRUSTRATING !!!

Can the Flickr team PLEASE sort this out?

Apparently the system is not sorting the most recent entries and displaying them accordingly.
Clement Tang * edited this topic 2 months ago.

view photos

Don Bello Photography says:

Leticia Roncero:

Sorry, the new version of "Activities" doesn't work at all. I can only see the last 6 hours. And all mixed up. This is not professional !!! We users pay for it. Please change back to the old version!
R.Bellmann

view photos

Zoom Lens says:

Matthew Almon Roth:

So, the programmers are incapable of figuring it out and leaving the pagination on the Recent Activity page? The new system is horrible and doesn't work efficiently or effectively. Flickr continues its "ram it down our throats" policy while ignoring feedback from us, the daily users.

view photos

Zoom Lens says:

I used to use, and enjoy, Recent Activity several times daily. Now it is such an annoyance I don't bother. I have to click through many more pages to try and find useful information than before.

view photos

Ger Bosma says:

Matthew Almon Roth:

Thanks for your extensive reply, Matthew, much appreciated.

The fact that the changes are intentional, does not necessarily make them desirable, fortunate or useful.

My main gripe is the absence under the bell icon of fave totals for images.
I do not care particularly that someone doled out a fave, or even who (unless they comment as well). You cannot seriously expect me to know how many faves all my thousands of images have.

Since that info is absent, I'm forced to additionally check
www.flickr.com/activity

But that page lacks info on the group that I'm admin of, for which the bell icon is the easiest tool to see new activity.

NB I'm much less interested in the exact number of comments. I'll have to read those elsewhere anyway, since the bell icon only shows part of the comment.

I see no use for random clusters of faves clumped together in random numbers, since only one or two names will be included at best anyway.
Counting them up (for recent uploads) is undoable, since there'll be up to 10 different entries, if accurate at all.
Ger Bosma edited this topic 2 months ago.

This thread has been closed by Flickr Staff.

(501 to 600 of 624 replies in [Updated August 19 with Archiving Old Content] Rollout of New Flickr Notifications Center and Settings)
Subscribe to a feed of stuff on this page... Feed – Subscribe to help discussion threads