Help / The Help Forum

This thread has been closed by Flickr Staff.

Hot Topics

[Official Thread] Have an idea for Flickr? Share it here.
Latest: 2 hours ago
New Flickr Notifications Center and Settings available to all members.
Latest: 5 weeks ago
[Updated April 26, 2021] Flickr is moving payments to Stripe
Latest: 11 months ago
Welcome to the Flickr Help Forum! Click here to get started and to read our Forum Guidelines.
Latest: 17 months ago

Current Discussion

Notifications - not showing older than 2hrs
Latest: 2 hours ago
comments twice as nice
Latest: 4 hours ago
No email notifications on a new photo
Latest: 5 hours ago
Extremely low views and faves
Latest: 8 hours ago
Releasing an alias/URL if the original member seems to no longer be active?
Latest: 8 hours ago
[Investigating] No pictures photostrip or else!
Latest: 9 hours ago
Profile page banner
Latest: 12 hours ago
Flickr Pricing
Latest: 14 hours ago
Non pro views different than pro.
Latest: 18 hours ago
Ridiculous and Bizarre
Latest: 25 hours ago
Restore pool Slideshow after Flash is gone?
Latest: 29 hours ago
Notifications: how to read multiple comments?
Latest: 30 hours ago
More...

Search the Help Forum

[Updated August 19 with Archiving Old Content] Rollout of New Flickr Notifications Center and Settings

Flickr Staff

Leticia Roncero says:

================

9/16/21: Summary of latest reply. If you have further questions or feedback about using the Notifications Center, please write to our Support team. The Recent Activity page will be sunset on December 15, 2021. Our latest reply also lists upcoming improvements that we'll be implementing based on your feedback and additional community feedback that we're taking into consideration.

================

This thread is a continuation of our original post here.

================

Today we’ve begun rolling out the new Flickr Notifications Center and Notifications Settings pages, which will simplify how you engage with other members of the community. We have included an FAQ in our Help Center, but we also wanted to share information and get your feedback here.

We’re expanding the current notifications from the bell icon at the top of Flickr and introducing a new tab for groups you admin. We’re also introducing a new Notifications Center page so you can see your notifications with more screen real estate.

The Notifications Center
The Notifications Center represents the first step to rebuilding the Recent Activity page to function more like modern notification centers. As such, there are a couple of significant changes in the way we’re presenting data in the new design that you’ll experience. To access the Notifications Center, click on the bell icon in the navigation bar at the top of Flickr, and at the bottom of the dropdown, you’ll see the link that used to read “View Recent Activity” now reads “View all notifications.” When you click that, you’ll be taken to the new Notifications Center.

Notifications Settings Page
The new Notifications Settings page, allows you to turn on or mute notifications by type.This page gives you complete control over your in-site notifications as well as email notifications to decide what you’re notified about, how you’re notified, and even how often. To access the Notifications Settings page, click on the bell icon in the navigation bar at the top of Flickr and you’ll notice a new gear icon that will take you to the Notifications Settings page.

You can now control the following web and email notifications:

Web Notifications
- Comments on your photos
- Comments on photos you’ve commented on
- Faves
- Followers
- Galleries
- Groups (you can manage notifications for each of your groups from here)
- Group invitations
- Messages (FlickrMail)
- Notes
- Tags
- Testimonials

Emails we send you
- Activity on you or your photos (Off/Immediately/Once per day/Once per week)
- Group Invitations
- Messages (FlickrMail)
- New followers
- Recent uploads from people you follow (Off/Immediately/Once per day/Once per week)

Group Admins
For groups, we’ve added new notification types to let you know when admins update the group admin blast, as well as group description and rules. Additionally, group admins will now see notifications for the groups they admin as a separate tab so they can easily sort out the priority updates for their groups from personal notifications and from groups they don’t admin.

Please explore these new features and share your thoughts with us here.

* How are you planning on using the new features and how will they be beneficial to you and your activity on Flickr?
* Are you finding everything easy to use or do you have suggestions for improvements?
* As you start using the new Notifications Center, we'd love to hear how it keeps you in the loop with the people you follow and the groups that you're part of. Or, is there activity you feel like you're still missing?

We'll be slowly rolling out the feature to a small percentage of the community, then ramping up throughout the week as we monitor and feel good about the progress.

We really appreciate your time and feedback!

Thanks,

===============

Edits:

March 2, 2021: Staff response to feedback about the option to turn on or off notifications for all groups at once and additional follow-ups.

===============
March 3, 2021:

New ‘Options’ in your Groups page
As we are rolling out the new Notifications, you’ll also see updates to your Groups list page, where all of your groups are displayed. We’ve changed the name of “Faved Groups” to “Pinned Groups” to avoid conflating with the action of faveing photos/videos. Pinning a group will keep that group at the top of your list. There’s also a new column called Options, which lets you manage group notifications, show or hide groups from your activity feed, and more. If you desire, you can use the Options column on the Groups list page to mute/unmute each of your groups.

Group Discussion Notifications
Now, all group members will receive notifications for new group discussions. These notifications were previously only available to group admins and moderators. We hope this keeps you in the loop on more group discussions!

===============
March 11, 2021: Staff response to feedback about group notifications, mention notifications, pinned groups, and new ways to mute all notifications from a group.

===============
March 31, 2021: Staff update on managing comments and persististing notification filters in Notifications.

===============
April 15, 2021: Staff update on the increased size of the Notifications Center page.

===============
August 19, 2021: Notifications updates with archiving old content + changes to the Recent Activity page.
Posted at 2:49PM, 26 February 2021 PDT ( permalink )
cabb88 (staff) edited this topic 4 weeks ago.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 next →
(601 to 624 of 624 replies in [Updated August 19 with Archiving Old Content] Rollout of New Flickr Notifications Center and Settings)
view photos

Ger Bosma says:

Apparently the idea in describing this was that the former was wrong

Leticia Roncero:

In the old format let's say I had uploaded a photo five years ago, and it had 45 faves already. If a couple of folks named Pat and John came along and faved it today, the notification would read, "Pat and John and 45 other people faved your photo." We were showing the count of the entire history of faves on the photo in the notification, even though some of the faves might have been five years old.

and this was somehow an improvement

In the new format with this hypothetical example, you'll get a notification that says, "Pat and John faved your photo." We're surfacing [only] what has happened recently and seems most relevant.

But we of course already got that info in the former situation.

If I received a fave that would be mentioned under the bell.
You can lump a few together if you like for all I care, but the crucial info should be the totals. Why does that have to be stripped out of the equation?

NB I get faves for up to 70-100 newer and older images per day.
Plenty of people will get a lot more still.
Posted 2 months ago. ( permalink )

view photos

Flickr Staff

Matthew Almon Roth says:

Ger Bosma:

My main gripe is the absence under the bell icon of fave totals for images.

Thanks for reinforcing this feedback, Ger. This is something our design team will take into account as we scope the faves modal. I assume this will be easy to add, but don't want to promise yet.

view photos

roba66 off says:

Matthew Almon Roth:

Hi Matthew , I read your Info in flickr help 19 hours ago. But this is not the only problem with the new RA. I try oncemore to explain – maybe you read it and understand my /our problems. Hope to hear from you.
********************************************************************************************
I think you are the profi here - Please read my letter to flickr help (mail) and infos in flickr Help forum ( to Leticia Roncero - until now no answer.

My first answer :I mean in ( You .). Recent Activity - the nonsens new version (start ..next..) , which makes absolut no sense for us user and I can not understand what we shall do with this .

I am an old member since more than 15 years and ADM in more groups, I have 46 Mill. Views, 450,000 faves, 23000 pics in my Flickr stream, are member of about 1300 groups, and I work every day in the "old" "Recent activity". There I look every day about 15-20 pages and more for all faves and comments in my images from 1minute to 48 hours back, step by step .. .., page 1,2,3, ...

This new activity is impossible for me(and all others). I have spoken to several pro users in the meantime, they are all horrified, because honestly - you can't work with that, it's all a terrible mess and the person who wrote this program has no idea the daily work of a flickr member in this active area.
You need the picture information (comments / faves) in chronological order and not like now, for example - 6 sec -4 weeks -3 hours - 12 minutes horribly confused. And all of this takes forever and on one page there are 2 pictures, on the next page 15 etc. If one of your practically working people looks at it, he'll see it within a few minutes. Please read my info below.
I can not say more
and please excuse my bad English .
kind regards
Rolf

1. ****Am Mon, 23 Aug 2021 11:24:23 +0000, Flickr Support schrieb:

Hi Rolf,

Thank you for contacting us and for providing this feedback.

I need to make sure I am understanding the issue correctly, when you say "last activity", can you provide the page you're referring to? Is this the "recent activity" page or your feed filtered by "all activity"?

I'll be standing by..

Kind regards,

Cástor
Flickr Support Hero
🇺🇸🇪🇸

Was my reply helpful today?

On Mon, Aug 23, 2021 at 8:45 AM wrote:***

Hi
The new version of "last activity" is absolute nonsense that nobody can do anything with.
I just opened one page after the other with "continue" for 1 hour. That doesn't make any sense - once there are 15 images per page, then 2 or 3 or again 10 or 5. And all of this without logic and understanding - with the last award of 6 seconds then 40 minutes or 7 hours or 4 weeks (nobody cares) and you can no longer recognize the faves per picture in chronological order.
I have the feeling that the person who developed this has never worked with this forum on a daily basis and has no idea what you can actually do with this listing (as it has since) (I am happy to explain it to him.
Who should be able to start with this new crap? A shambles without meaning and understanding.
You can't offer such nonsense - can you?
I'm sorry but i'm so upset.
Rolf (roba66)

roba66 sagt:

INFO III
- still no answer from flickr, so again !!!!
the pace in the new Recent Activity is the smallest problem.
The whole system has absolutely no meaning and understanding. You can't work with it like since then,
It is important in this RA list that you can recognize or see all pictures on which a comment, invitation or fave from the current point in time in the course of time at least for about 5 days (i.e. everything that has happened to "mine") is. So 1st picture for example. 5 sec, 2nd picture 10 sec etc. up to possibly 60 hours .. In principle as usual (always approx. 15-20 pictures per page, back after the elapsed time)
Now today comes e.g. on page 1 !!!! one picture 6 hours back, page 2 - ..8 pictures - approx. 65 sec to 10 hours back
Page 3. 3 pictures ... 3-18 hours back - everything confused and without a comprehensible system. You can't do anything with that.
I just wanted to have said again.
Ciao
Rolf
Sorry - I can not explain the problem much better
Regards
Rolf

view photos

SJH Foto says:

Matthew Almon Roth:

Matthew, here is an issue that I don't think could possibly be intentional: comments made on my images do not always show up on my recent activity page anymore. www.flickr.com/photos/radargeek/ just commented on 3 of my images at my request (I called him and asked him to). These do NOT show up on my recent activity! Is this going to be fixed?

view photos

ShellyS says:

Matthew Almon Roth:

As far as I can tell, I still don't have the new notifications, so I can't comment on that. All I can say is that I've long used RA as my flickr landing page. First thing I want to see is comments so I can quickly go to the photos with new comments and reply. I've only been clicking the bell icon to see if I've gotten the new notifications yet. Otherwise, I've never used it.

view photos

Clement Tang * says:

Matthew Almon Roth:

ShellyS:

Also, pressing "Next" gets me into circles after circles: I can't get to earlier notifications like before - like it should be!! The more times I press "Next", the funnier (FRUSTRATING) it gets!!!

Please get us back the chronological order that we SO rely on!

view photos

Viejito says:

ShellyS:

I've long used RA as my flickr landing page
Recent Activity is also where I go first, before I go to the (old-style) bell.

view photos

ShellyS says:

Clement Tang *:

"Next" in notifications? I can't see that. "Next" on the RA page? I don't use it, though I just tried it and it works fine. I usually just click the next page number, ie "2" if I'm on the first page.

view photos

Clement Tang * says:

ShellyS:

&quotStart" and "Next" are at the bottom of the RA page. I can't see page numbers since they made the changes.

Did you see that the same images/notifications are being "recycled" in different orders? The more times you "Next" it, the funnier it gets.
Clement Tang * edited this topic 2 months ago.

view photos

ShellyS says:

Clement Tang *:

Start" and "Next" are at the bottom of the RA page. I can't see page numbers since they made the changes.

Did you see that the same images/notifications are being "recycled" in different orders? The more times you "Next" it, the funnier it gets.

As I said, the page nav at the bottom of the RA page works fine for me as I did try the "Next" which I usually don't use, after reading your comment. Next took me to the next page. I didn't keep trying it because I saw no reason to. It's easier for me to click the next numeral for the next page.

Edited to add: I tried the Next button a few times on RA. Works like a charm for me. Maybe because I don't have the new notifications?

view photos

Clement Tang * says:

ShellyS:

I wonder if you are still using the old version. That's the version I relied upon.

I don't know if I can have the option to go back...

view photos

ShellyS says:

Clement Tang *:

I wonder if you are still using the old version. That's the version I relied upon.

The old version of Recent Activity? I thought notifications changed, not RA, and I still don't have the new notifications, as I stated previously. I suppose at some point, RA will no longer function properly and I'll have to choose a new landing page. I might make my photostream my landing page when RA stops being useful.

view photos

Viejito says:

ShellyS:

I thought notifications changed, not RA,
Recent Activity changed for them, too.
If you regularly use Recent Activity, you're going to notice a disruption to the navigation at the bottom of that page.

view photos

Clement Tang * says:

Viejito:

To what end ?

view photos

Kaometet says:

Notification centre is ok but I don't want to go there when I click the bell, I like the drop down

view photos

Clement Tang * says:

Kaometet:

Unlike RA, we don't see the whole picture (i.e, other comments etc) when we click the bell.

view photos

txmx 2 says:

I can not mute "xyz is folliwing you" neiter in the RA nor in the new notification page.

This - to me- is a disimprovement , because I want the Recent activities page without clutter like that.

:(

view photos

Bas1953 says:

Notification centre is ok but I don't want to go there when I click the bell, I like the drop down me too.........

view photos

Kaometet says:

Clement Tang *:

I just want a quick look, in a drop down.

Oh, the drop down is back. Well, I didn't make a study of it, but not getting the drop down annoyed me. I guess you can always click further when you want more info. I use recent activity : custom view for that (bookmark).

view photos

Donkey Hot-tea says:

ShellyS:

"Next" in notifications? I can't see that. "Next" on the RA page? I don't use it, though I just tried it and it works fine. I usually just click the next page number, ie "2" if I'm on the first page.

Which means you still have the old version. With the new version you can't "just click the next page number, ie "2", because the numbers just ain't there - which is a damned pain in the nether regions, I frequently have to check several pages (up to a dozen) of RA. Having to click "next" time after time until I can find the oldest item is a chore I could do without.

view photos

Kaometet says:

Drop down was back but is gone again. The pink number leads to page in the same window, pink number doesn't go away after that, when clicked again there is the old drop down, and thén the number is gone.

Maybe I have to read here what's going on ?

Is it a bug ?

Make two bells ? A big and a small ? Small = short drop down notification, big = all recent activity......?

view photos

Kaometet says:

Well.., good luck :-)

view photos

Flickr Staff

Leticia Roncero says:

Kaometet:

Drop down was back but is gone again. The pink number leads to page in the same window

Hi Kaometet,

If you click on the bell icon when on a classic page (like the Help Forum, or Recent Activity), it takes you directly to the Notifications Center. If you click on the bell icon from any other page (Photostream, Albums, Explore, etc.) you'll see the Notifications bell menu (dropdown). I hope this helps clarify!

view photos

Flickr Staff

Leticia Roncero says:

Hi all,

Thank you for all the feedback and comments so far. Over the past few months, you’ve helped us continue improving the new notifications experience and we’re now ready to share this experience with more members of the Flickr community. We’ve created a new thread so that we can continue the conversation, help folks onboard to the new notifications experience, and to address any questions that may arise. We’ll be directing all conversation there, but we also want to take the time to address some of the feedback that has been shared here recently.

For those that mentioned issues impacting the Recent Activity:

These issues with the Recent Activity page are due to the way the new notifications data is stored. We know that this will take some adjusting, but we’re not going to focus on improvements or fixes to the Recent Activity page and eventually, this page will be removed. We’d like to help you and other members move to the new notifications experience and find ways to keep up with the activity that matters to you there.

We would like to encourage everyone to try exploring the new notifications center and share any questions or feedback you may have with us, so we can keep improving the new experience for you. For example, are there things you used to do in Recent Activity that aren’t clear how to see or accomplish in the new Notifications Center?

As Matthew shared in his response here, and based on some of your replies in this thread, we are already looking into the following:

Bringing fave modal into the Notifications Center
We are looking at how we can bring the fave modal that is currently on the photo page (e.g. “[person 1], [person 2] and [n more people] faved your photo”) into the Notifications Center and under the bell icon. We’ll work on that after we get everyone onto the new notifications experience.

Hiding individual notifications without muting the entire notification type
The other feature we’re exploring is the ability to hide an individual notification without muting all notifications of that type.

We're aware that this is a big adjustment for people who rely on Recent Activity, and we plan on offering Office Hours for members interested in getting a more personal walkthrough of the new experience.

If you would like more immediate assistance, please know that you can also always reach out to our Support team with any questions or feedback.

Thank you!

This thread has been closed by Flickr Staff.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 next →
(601 to 624 of 624 replies in [Updated August 19 with Archiving Old Content] Rollout of New Flickr Notifications Center and Settings)
Subscribe to a feed of stuff on this page... Feed – Subscribe to help discussion threads