Help / The Help Forum

Hot Topics

[Updated March 31st] Beginning Rollout of New Flickr Notifications Center and Settings
Latest: 2 hours ago
[Official Thread] Have an idea for Flickr? Share it here.
Latest: 34 hours ago
[No Action Required] Flickr is moving payments to Stripe
Latest: 5 months ago
Welcome to the Flickr Help Forum! Click here to get started and to read our Forum Guidelines.
Latest: 10 months ago

Current Discussion

Photo count incorrect
Latest: 25 minutes ago
Photo taken date is automatically changed to uploaded date during upload
Latest: 67 minutes ago
Description link?
[Investigating] Groups take a very long time to load
[Resolved] Frozen Views Count
Latest: 3 hours ago
Password works on iOS but not on PC?
Latest: 4 hours ago
Android App: Random Logouts
Latest: 11 hours ago
Photos don't show up in albums
Latest: 11 hours ago
No photos in my account
Latest: 13 hours ago
Uploading to Albums
Latest: 20 hours ago
Flickr not allowing me to continue to use Paypal (which is linked to a credit card).
Latest: 24 hours ago
Latest: 27 hours ago
More...

Search the Help Forum

Problems with my own tags

osloann says:

I was searching for the word ramsløk (wild garlic in Norwegian) among my own photos, and nothing showed up. OK, I have forgotten to tag my photos, I thought, but did try allium instead. And all my ramsløl-photos showed up, and tagged with 'ramsløk'.
I have not had any problems with the specific Norwegian letters æ, ø and å earlier, but is this a case for that?
Any ideas why they don't show up? The photos are old.
Posted at 12:46AM, 3 April 2021 PDT ( permalink | reply )

view photos

mcnod says:

osloann:

I have not had any problems with the specific Norwegian letters æ, ø and å earlier, but is this a case for that?
Any ideas why they don't show up? The photos are old.

There is a rather consuming history of similar search failures:
www.flickr.com/search/forum/?lang=en-us&q=non+standar...

If I search your page for ramsløk, I get no returns. If I search for ramsløk from an "old stack" page (like this help forum search box, upper right) I get 86 returns, some are yours.
Posted 2 weeks ago. ( permalink | reply )

view photos

ernstkers says:

osloann:

I was searching for the word ramsløk (wild garlic in Norwegian) among my own photos, and nothing showed up.

I can reproduce that: www.flickr.com/search/?user_id=24742738%40N00&view_al...
But if I change the search from "All" to "Tags", then six photos are found: www.flickr.com/search/?user_id=24742738%40N00&view_al...

Clearly this is not as it should be. Alas this bad behaviour of Flickr with non-ASCII characters is about as old as Flickr itself. mcnod already gave a link with a search for Help topics about it. I believe in the past Flickr did a few attempts to solve it, but failed. It's likely the result of coding mess: not consistent character encoding throughout the whole site.
ernstkers edited this topic 2 weeks ago.

view photos

mag3737 says:

Adding in to the mix (and perhaps contributing to the difficulty on the programming side) is that I think Flickr's search tries to be permissive about the characters it will match, to accommodate folks (esp. North Americans) whose keyboards don't usually have letters with diacriticals of various kinds. E.g. it tries to allow "ramslok" as a match for "ramsløk" and also "ramslök", etc.

As noted by and , success over the long term has been ... "mixed".

view photos

ernstkers says:

mag3737:

I think Flickr's search tries to be permissive about the characters it will match, to accommodate folks (esp. North Americans) whose keyboards don't usually have letters with diacriticals of various kinds.

No. Or not only that. It isn't about not matching search results only. It already happens with adding tags. When adding a tag with a diacritical using a photo editor (e.g. Apple Photos) and uploading it gives a good chance to give a different tag as when adding the same tag with diacritical with the uploadr. As result the same tag can exist twice in the tags list. An example:
Schermafbeelding 2021-04-03 om 20.36.35
If I click the 6 items link, then I get 6 photos with "Tags" selected and 22 photos with "All" selected. The 6 are also with the 22 and I believe those 6 indeed have both tags.
But if I click the 22 items link, then I get no results with "Tags" selected and again 22 photos with "All" selected. That should not happen as all 22 have it as tag. So here we get something similar as the OP, except the photos show when selected "All" and not when selected "Tag", while for the OP it's the opposite.

If I check the source code of my tags page, then I get this:
Schermafbeelding 2021-04-03 om 20.39.42
As you can see, the 6-items tag is encoded different from the 22-items tag. In one case the ó is encoded as %CC%81 and in the other case as %C3%B3 That's not a matter to get search results matching, that's different encoding of a character based on the input method: as part of the file or as text in the uploadr.

So it's already a mess with the tags as encoded and stored in Flickr's database. And then Flickr messes up further when searching.

view photos

osloann says:

Thank you for your input, people. As long as I know this is an issue I can work around it, but I just hadn't noticed this before.
Posted 10 days ago. ( permalink | reply )

view photos

V.C. Wald says:

I have endless problems searching on any term, which would be something I am 100% sure appears in tags, titles, and descriptions, not turning up my own photos. I've reported it, been assured it's been fixed, and still endure this frustration year after year. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one.
Posted 7 days ago. ( permalink | reply )

Subscribe to a feed of stuff on this page... Feed – Subscribe to help discussion threads