Help / The Help Forum

Hot Topics

[Updated March 31st] Beginning Rollout of New Flickr Notifications Center and Settings
Latest: 2 hours ago
[Official Thread] Have an idea for Flickr? Share it here.
Latest: 35 hours ago
[No Action Required] Flickr is moving payments to Stripe
Latest: 5 months ago
Welcome to the Flickr Help Forum! Click here to get started and to read our Forum Guidelines.
Latest: 10 months ago

Current Discussion

Photo count incorrect
Latest: 81 minutes ago
Photo taken date is automatically changed to uploaded date during upload
Latest: 2 hours ago
Description link?
Latest: 3 hours ago
[Investigating] Groups take a very long time to load
Latest: 3 hours ago
[Resolved] Frozen Views Count
Latest: 4 hours ago
Password works on iOS but not on PC?
Latest: 5 hours ago
Android App: Random Logouts
Latest: 12 hours ago
Photos don't show up in albums
Latest: 12 hours ago
No photos in my account
Latest: 14 hours ago
Uploading to Albums
Latest: 20 hours ago
Flickr not allowing me to continue to use Paypal (which is linked to a credit card).
Latest: 25 hours ago
Latest: 28 hours ago
More...

Search the Help Forum

[Investigating] Search doesn’t return my own photos

V.C. Wald says:

I've been a member of Flickr since 2007. I have, for better or for worse, 13,359 photos on Flickr. Each one has a title and the vast majority have tags and descriptions. And, like everybody with that many photos on Flickr, I pay a yearly fee for the privilege of having so much trouble searching my own photostream. Over and over again I look for photo(s) that I am 100% certain of the key words, and over and over and over again, everybody else's photos show up, but not mine. I reload and reload, and sometimes I get lucky an album of mine with the key word shows up, but none of my individually labelled photos come up. I reload some more, and maybe, just maybe, all of my photos with the word "wolf" or "grizzly" or "coyote" or "Yellowstone" turns up in a panel of thumbnails with the handle "view all XXX photos" Then I click on the photo I want to go to and I get the error message, sorry, no photos match your search.

Good grief, isn't this an elementary photo hosting site feature? Why isn't it 100% reliable? This has been going on for years.

Flickr Staff edited the title for clarity
Posted at 1:51PM, 5 April 2021 PDT ( permalink | reply )
R L Catlow (staff) edited this topic 6 days ago.

view photos

ausfi says:

V.C. Wald:

Yes, this happens to me also occasionally..It is very strange.
Posted 9 days ago. ( permalink | reply )

view photos

MabelAmber️***Pluto5339***MysteryGuest says:

V.C. Wald:

and sometimes I get lucky an album of mine with the key word shows up, but none of my individually labelled photos come up.

This happens to me when I use the search box top right on other pages than my own photostream - however, using the magnifying glass, top right above my photostream I do get all my images with the specific tag I typed into the search field.

view photos

mcnod says:

V.C. Wald:

Over and over again I look for photo(s) that I am 100% certain of the key words, and over and over and over again, everybody else's photos show up, but not mine.

By default the general search return will be "Relevant". With general terms like Yellowstone or wolf or coyote, of course people who practice SEO will score higher than most others. I searched for Yellowstone and switched to "date uploaded" and several of your recent images scored high in the results.

V.C. Wald:
Over and over again I look for photo(s) that I am 100% certain of the key words, and over and over and over again, everybody else's photos show up, but not mine.

If you are searching for your own needs then search your stream, not all of flickrland, use the magnifying glass.

view photos

Viejito says:

V.C. Wald:

a panel of thumbnails with the handle "view all XXX photos" Then I click on the photo I want to go to and I get the error message, sorry, no photos match your search.

Same thing happens to me all the time, so I have given up using search if I am looking of a specific photo: instead of using search, I just go to a geographically organized album and find the photo there.

If I do use search, even the one with the magnifying glass on my photostream, I regularly do not find photos using a word that the photo has as a tag and is even used in the description!

view photos

John Oram says:

This certainly is a thing albeit infrequent. I suppose with 51bn pictures on the site, give or take a few defunct numbers, it's pretty good it finds what ot does. Still frustrating though.
Posted 8 days ago. ( permalink | reply )

view photos

V.C. Wald says:

For those who recommend reloading the search results page, thank you, but I give up after 5 or 6 tries and come back later. I always search logged in, and from my own home page or one of my photo pages. And what about when I do get a panel of my own photos, double-click on the one I'm looking for, and get the message that essentially says, "never heard of you or the photo you're looking for"?
Posted 8 days ago. ( permalink | reply )

view photos

Flickr Staff

R L Catlow says:

V.C. Wald:

This is something our engineers are still looking into. Unfortunately they haven’t been able to nail down exactly why this is happening when using search.

MabelAmber️***Pluto5339***MysteryGuest:

Viejito:

ausfi:

Sending over an email to gather more information.

Thanks!
Posted 6 days ago. ( permalink | reply )

Subscribe to a feed of stuff on this page... Feed – Subscribe to help discussion threads