Help / The Help Forum

Hot Topics

[Official Thread] Have an idea for Flickr? Share it here.
Latest: 3 hours ago
New Flickr Notifications Center and Settings available to all members.
Latest: 9 days ago
[Updated April 26, 2021] Flickr is moving payments to Stripe
Latest: 10 months ago
Welcome to the Flickr Help Forum! Click here to get started and to read our Forum Guidelines.
Latest: 16 months ago

Current Discussion

New geofence not applicable to existing pics – geofenced area still visible...
Latest: 87 minutes ago
Recent Activity versus Notification Centre
Latest: 11 hours ago
Can we have the flickr-mail alerts back - purrrlease!
Latest: 13 hours ago
Flickr apps on IOS
Latest: 18 hours ago
Notification Alert (?)
Latest: 26 hours ago
Problem posting pictures opted out of 30/60 limits
Latest: 26 hours ago
Pictures aren't displayed.
Latest: 34 hours ago
"Let us know what you think."
Latest: 35 hours ago
Limitations of new Notifications page
Latest: 2 days ago
RSS Feed broken
[Acknowledged by Flickr Staff] Random sets of pictures shown twice in the Feed
Downloading pictures
More...

Search the Help Forum

[Acknowledged by Flickr Staff] How can my Inbox be empty when I have 2,895 messages?

Thomas Hawk says:

How can my Inbox Be Empty When I Have 2,895 Messages In It?

How can my inbox be empty when I have 2,895 messages in my In box?

And how come I have to refresh my inbox over and over again just to be able to see my messages?
Posted at 2:19PM, 2 May 2021 PDT ( permalink | reply )
katie_ko (staff) edited this topic 6 days ago.

view photos

iansand says:

Maybe it's something at your end.
Posted 5 months ago. ( permalink | reply )

view photos

Viejito says:

Thomas Hawk:

Does it matter?
Were you going to read those 2,895 new messages or those 62,449 new contact notifications?...

And how come I have to refresh my inbox over and over again
That happens to me, refreshing often to no avail, when searching.

view photos

Thomas Hawk says:

Viejito:

Does it matter?

Well when 70% of the time you have to refresh your inbox in order to see messages, yes it seems like a waste of time and matters. I'd rather it just show my messages when I refresh it. I don't know why it is hard to just show me my messages rather than send me a screen that my inbox is empty when it is not. It would seem to me that Flickr should be able to make this work better than it currently works.

view photos

Thomas Hawk says:

iansand:

yeah maybe. Maybe I could make some adjustments on my end and it would just magically fix itself.

view photos

iansand says:

Thomas Hawk:

Excellent plan. Carry on!!

view photos

MabelAmber️***Pluto5339***MysteryGuest says:

Thomas Hawk:

How can my inbox be empty when I have 2,895 messages in my In box?

It's something they call a glitch or even a bug:

www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157718154987688/

And:

www.flickr.com/search/forum/?q=your+inbox+is+empty

view photos

edlp2k says:

The "inbox empty" message has popped up a few times for me recently. But it self corrects in a blink, a second or two, so it hasn't got me worried just yet.

view photos

Flickr Staff

R L Catlow says:

Thomas Hawk:

Thanks for flagging.

This is a known issue which our engineers are looking into.

We will share updates as they arise.

view photos

Thomas Hawk says:

R L Catlow:

wonderful, thank you for the update. Good luck in getting it fixed.

view photos

Thomas Hawk says:

R L Catlow:

This problem and the recent activity screens returning blank screens over and over and over and over again are just so frustrating.

As great a site as Flickr is, it just makes you want to stop using it.

I used to enjoy using Flickr but having to refresh a screen 12 times to get it to load is just one big exercise in frustration and why spend time somewhere that makes you that frustrated?

It feels like there is no solution to this problem at this point, it can't/won't be identified and it will never be fixed.

Time to turn Flickr off tonight and go spend time on Twitter instead which actually works.

view photos

Thomas Hawk says:

I Wish Flickr Worked

view photos

Thomas Hawk says:

Frustration

view photos

Flickr Staff

kp-kp-kp says:

Hey everyone,

We haven't forgotten about this FlickrMail issue and we're still investigating this with our engineers. We'll be sure to keep you posted as we have more information to share.

Just a note that the Recent Activity loading issue is not related to the issue causing FlickrMail inboxes not to load.

Best,
Katherine
Posted 4 months ago. ( permalink | reply )

view photos

Jan.Timmons says:

kp-kp-kp:

Not all of us have this problem, or any, Katherine.
Thanks!

view photos

Thomas Hawk says:

Your Inbox is Empty

2 minutes ago.

Glad to know it has not been forgotten about.

Hopefully it is something that can be fixed soon.

view photos

Thomas Hawk says:

kp-kp-kp:

and thank you Katherine for the update.

It's been a very frustrating month this past month or so trying to use Flickr.

view photos

Thomas Hawk says:

kp-kp-kp:

Hi Katherine,

Just want to make sure you haven't forgotten about this issue as it's been about a month now and the problem is as bad or worse than before.

Any thoughts on how things are going with the investigation by your engineers?

Recent activity is equally as bad although I know that this is not related to why inbox won't load.

I can share more screenshots but they are pretty much just the same as above.

view photos

Flickr Staff

katie_ko says:

Just providing a bit of an update here on where we are with this issue.

We realize not being able to rely on seeing the contents of your inbox consistently is frustrating & a fix for this remains a high priority for us.

While we don't have a concrete timeline for this fix, I do want to assure the folks affected that our engineers are actively working towards a solution & we'll report back here with any updates (or if we find additional detail are needed).

We really appreciate your continued patience!

view photos

Flickr Staff

katie_ko says:

Back with some good news! (fingers crossed)

We've just released a fix that should have the FlickrMail inbox back consistently populating as intended.

Please let us know how things are looking on you end!

view photos

Thomas Hawk says:

Unfortunately it still returns the empty mail box message to me a great deal of the time (maybe like 50%). I will try again tomorrow and hopefully it is better.

Flickr Inbox Not Loading by thomashawkblog

view photos

Thomas Hawk says:

still getting it today. Maybe the fix that was released is not working?

view photos

judicious credit says:

Having the same problem intermittently.

view photos

Flickr Staff

cabb88 says:

Thomas Hawk:
LoveSomeBunny:

Sorry that this is still being troublesome. We've shared your feedback with our engineering team and we'll let you know when we have further updates.

view photos

Loverdag - unedited - says:

I can confirm its not fixed.

kp-kp-kp:

Just a note that the Recent Activity loading issue is not related to the issue causing FlickrMail inboxes not to load.

Im not sure they are totaly unrelated issues.
Based on my last observation I start to think the bug appearing in Recet Activity could be related to this Flickrmail issue.
Seems when I receive new Flickrmail and its supposed to appear in the Recet Activity, it makes the Activity page broken.

Im not perfectly sure about this connection between the issues, but for now it looks like that.

Not sure if its important, but Im still on the old recent activity system, I dont have this new notification system yet (could it be related?) www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157718447996213/
Posted 3 months ago. ( permalink | reply )

view photos

judicious credit says:

cabb88:

Thank you I appreciate it :)

view photos

Thomas Hawk says:

For whatever reason, the inbox and recent activity loading seem to be particularly bad today.

view photos

Thomas Hawk says:

Any thoughts on when a fix might be deployed for this?

Has this bug been forgotten about?

view photos

Flickr Staff

cabb88 says:

Thomas Hawk:

Hey, Thomas! Sorry that these two pages continue to have trouble. We're definitely still digging into it:

(1) For the FlickrMail loading issue, we've had success reproducing this issue and we hope to have more news from the team on it soon. We'll share here once we have an update.

(2) For the issue with the recent activity page not loading, can you provide us with a screenshot of the entire page (including the page URL and the bottom of the page)? This will help our team troubleshoot a bit more.

Thanks for working with us on this,
Carol

view photos

cabb88:

www.flickr.com/activity
gyazo.com/ba3407ead4451b680b53a2dc68bcb2fa
I have this issue daily, nothing rare. Screenshot was taken right now.

Edit:
I also dont understand for what reason is this topic marked as "monitoring fix". As you can see here www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157718491025593/#reply7... the issue was reported 4 months ago and it was never fixed for some accounts including mine.
Neither Flickr status page reflects the still ongoing issue.
Loverdag - unedited - edited this topic 3 months ago.

view photos

Flickr Staff

cabb88 says:

Loverdag - unedited -:

Hey, Loverdag - I'm sorry for the confusing labelling of the thread, but please know that we're still working on it. I appreciate the screenshot. Do you mind sharing one that has the page URL visible?

Is the FlickrMail issue still present for you as well?

Thank you,
Carol

view photos

cabb88:

I think I saw the Flickrmail issue earlier this week, not sure if in the last days.

URL visible is problem because I have bookmarks in Chrome on the top bar and I consider them private. I dont have time or apps to edit it to hide them. Unless I would make separate screenshot of the url only if it would help you.

view photos

mag3737 says:

Loverdag - unedited -:

URL visible is problem because I have bookmarks in Chrome on the top bar and I consider them private. I dont have time or apps to edit it to hide them. Unless I would make separate screenshot of the url only if it would help you.

FWIW "normally" in Chrome the URL bar is located immediately on top of the page content. From top to bottom it goes: 1. Window tabs; 2. URL bar (and a few other clickable commandbar icons); 3. Page content.

My point is, if your bookmarks are showing up there somewhere, that may be because of an extension, in which case it might be easily turned off/on.

view photos

mag3737:

FWIW "normally" in Chrome the URL bar is located immediately on top of the page content. From top to bottom it goes: 1. Window tabs; 2. URL bar (and a few other clickable commandbar icons); 3. Page content.

Im not sure what do you mean. Chrome (with no extensions) has option of the bookmark bar on same place where mine is at least for last ten years, check this guide from 2011: digitizor.com/always-show-bookmark-chrome/
My current versin of Chrome has basicaly same layout, no changes for the bookmark bar location. It means it is placed beneath the url bar and would be included in the screenshot.

Current version allows toggle the bar on/off via shortcut ctrls+shift+B, I was thinking I may try that for the screenshot when the isue will appear. However Im not perfectly sure how it behaves and if it wont refresh page, if yes it would remove the issue we need to take screenshot of. I will see when the issue will occur.

view photos

Thomas Hawk says:

Here is a screenshot with the url that I just got:

Blank Recent Activity with url by thomashawkblog

I will say that in general yesterday it was much better than it was on Monday when I was getting it maybe 90% of the time.

view photos

Thomas Hawk says:

Loverdag - unedited -:

Current version allows toggle the bar on/off via shortcut ctrls+shift+B, I was thinking I may try that for the screenshot when the isue will appear. However Im not perfectly sure how it behaves and if it wont refresh page, if yes it would remove the issue we need to take screenshot of. I will see when the issue will occur.

That's the best solution the next time you get it. Just ctl-shift-B (this will hilde your bookmarks) take a screen shot, hit ctl-shift-B again and your bookmarks will be back after you make the screenshot.

view photos

Thomas Hawk says:

Here is another one I just got now with the url as well:

Recent Activity Blank Page with url 2 by thomashawkblog

view photos

Flickr Staff

cabb88 says:

Thomas Hawk:

Thanks, Thomas! Sharing this with the team now.

Loverdag - unedited -:

Thank you for the update and all good on the screenshot. I've passed along what you shared and we'll follow up here if we need any additional information.

view photos

Thomas Hawk:

Thanks, you already did that :)

view photos

mag3737 says:

Loverdag - unedited -:

Im not sure what do you mean. Chrome (with no extensions) has option of the bookmark bar on same place where mine is at least for last ten years

I did not know about Ctrl-Shift-B to toggle the bookmark bar. And (obviously) mine has been "off" for my entire life (as far as I can ever remember).

view photos

Flickr Staff

R L Catlow says:

Hi, all,

We've discussed the Recent Activity page as a team and it's not a page that we're likely to make improvements or fixes on moving forward.

As many of you may know, we're working to build out a new Notification Centre, as the go-to destination for keeping up to date with all the activity on your account.

In regards to the FlickrMail issue our engineers are still working on this, and we will share updates as they arise.

Thanks!

view photos

Thomas Hawk says:

R L Catlow:

In terms of the Recent Activity not working, is there an ETA on when the "Notifications" page will be rolled out to additional users? I'd love to use the "Notifications" page but it still hasn't been rolled out to me. I believe it was launched several months ago but many of us still have not received it.

Any update on when mail will load properly. Is this bug still on Flickr's radar?
Posted 2 months ago. ( permalink | reply )

view photos

I would like to see some updates too, its still happening.

Minute ago:
gyazo.com/2c0cf9c1dfefd449419fdff89d9f230f

view photos

mag3737 says:

The silver lining here is that I can get to the Help Forum faster from my RA page. Less content >> less mouse wheel scrolling distance.

;-)

view photos

Thomas Hawk says:

one thing I've found that helps a little bit sometimes, it's annoying as hell to have to do it, but if you refresh the recent activity or inbox page but then don't let the page finish loading, then refresh again before it finishes loading, then refresh again but don't let it finish loading, and then refresh again. If you do this 10x in a row typically the page will then load if you let it finish on the 10th refresh. The key thing is you can't let the page load, you have to refresh during the loading process and do it 10 times.

A very painful way to get the pages to load, but at least you get them to load that way.

Frankly I think it would be better for Flickr to simply extend the timeout duration on these pages if that is the issue (most likely), but it would be nice to have some sort of confirmation one way or the other after months of this problem because from an end user perspective it doesn't really feel like anybody is looking at this or working on it at all.

view photos

Flickr Staff

katie_ko says:

Sorry to hear there are folks still experiencing issues with their FlickrMail inbox.

We’ve spent the last few weeks digging into this. This issue is affecting folks with a substantial amount of FlickrMail. During our investigation we found that the underlying issue is complex and we’re currently weighing our options in order to provide a long term solution.

While not ideal, we've found refreshing the page allows the inbox to populate as intended.

That being said-- I can assure you we are actively working on a long term fix so members don’t have to perform workarounds to view their FlickrMail.

Thomas Hawk:

As far as the new notification center is concerned, we do not have a concrete ETA for the next phase of release. I've sent over an email to continue the discussion! (despite similar symptoms, the two issues here are unrelated.)

view photos

Thomas Hawk says:

katie_ko:

Katie, thank you so much for your help with this today. I deleted all my old flickrmail (7,000+ messages going back almost 20 years) and now my inbox seems to load much more reliably.

view photos

I would like to delete all older flickrmails except the newest 3 pages of the recent ones. It means to delete about 119 pages / 2.4K mails.
Is there way how to achieve that?

What I see are only two options:
- to select mails for deleting manually - no way for me to do it on 119 pages individualy for each mail
or
- to use "select all" and delete all of them with no option to select the ones I want to keep

But maybe someone can recommend me other way how to do it?

view photos

Temari 09 says:

mag3737:

Thank you for referring me to this thread, Mag, I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one having this problem.

This has been happening to me for the past couple of months... I thought it was because my laptop was old (Win7, not being supported by MSFT any more)

But now, it's still happening even though I have a brand new laptop!

www.flickr.com/photos/34053291@N05/shares/366B2C

Is there any more info as to when this bug will be fixed??

view photos

Mind Meld says:

yeah, my inbox is always saying empty too.

view photos

Im still having the "empty" issue on daily basis, today included.

Any updates? The last we got 6 weeks ago.

EDIT:
I checked history of the issue across other threads www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157718491025593/#reply7... and its ongoing since March. We have end of August now. I hope we all agree thats not something paying customer should be happy about.
Posted 5 weeks ago. ( permalink | reply )
Loverdag - unedited - edited this topic 5 weeks ago.

view photos

Flickr Staff

katie_ko says:

Loverdag - unedited -:

Just to confirm-- were you able to delete some of your FlickrMail to see if that helped?

Additionally, does your FlickrMail populate as intended on a refresh?
Posted 4 weeks ago. ( permalink | reply )

Subscribe to a feed of stuff on this page... Feed – Subscribe to help discussion threads