Help / The Help Forum

This thread was closed automatically due to a lack of responses over the last month.

Hot Topics

[Official Thread] Have an idea for Flickr? Share it here.
Latest: 9 hours ago
New Flickr Notifications Center and Settings available to all members.
Latest: 2 months ago
[Updated April 26, 2021] Flickr is moving payments to Stripe
Latest: 12 months ago
Welcome to the Flickr Help Forum! Click here to get started and to read our Forum Guidelines.
Latest: 18 months ago

Current Discussion

Problems adding images directly into Groups and Galleries
Latest: 9 minutes ago
Will there be any Pro offers for Black Friday?
Latest: 47 minutes ago
[Acknowledged by Flickr Staff] Recent activity - Can we have it back? Please???
Latest: 5 hours ago
Please, help! I'm not receiving any email notification about activity on my account.
Latest: 5 hours ago
[Resolved] Painfully slow...............
[Acknowledged by Flickr Staff] Recent Activity & Notifications - Very slow loading!
[Acknowledged by Flickr Staff] new and improved Notifications Center
[Acknowledged by Flickr Staff] Apple TV 4k Flickr app - still just two photos
[Acknowledged by Flickr Staff] Extremely low views and faves
Latest: 10 hours ago
Search not working properly.
Latest: 18 hours ago
...consistent problems with uploadr...
Latest: 24 hours ago
Structural Underreporting in Bell Icon
Latest: 27 hours ago
More...

Search the Help Forum

maplogs.com :(

b_benjamin_b says:

Hi!
This was closed =>
www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157710768128223/

However they still use my photos, w/o permission. Example:
www.flickr.com/photos/benjamin_b/13463872804
vs
elevation.maplogs.com/poi/wellington_new_zealand.162940.html
(search for "individualism")

Reckons?
Posted at 3:12AM, 2 July 2021 PST ( permalink )

view photos

Viejito says:

Use of many flickr photos without linkback.
Posted 5 months ago. ( permalink )

view photos

InnAtElmwood says:

b_benjamin_b:

Pixsy always has matches of my pics on this map site, too.

view photos

mcnod says:

InnAtElmwood:

Pixsy always has matches of my pics on this map site

Have you asked Pixsy to mitigate? If yes, were they willing to act on your behalf?

view photos

Alan.Rust says:

When they ignored my approaches I sent a DCMA to their web server. That worked.

view photos

InnAtElmwood says:

mcnod:

nothing happens because it says Maplog is a Chinese jurisdiction and Pixsy doesn't cover that country

view photos

InnAtElmwood says:

Alan.Rust:

at least you got some action

view photos

Viejito says:

InnAtElmwood:

Maplog is a Chinese jurisdiction and Pixsy doesn't cover that country
But GoDaddy is an American company and they are the site’s registrar!

Doesn’t abuse@godaddy.com cover this kind of abuse, if they were not to respond to a DMCA takedown notice?

view photos

InnAtElmwood says:

Viejito:

godaddy usually passes the buck

view photos

Mitchel25J (47 million + Views Thank You ) says:

b_benjamin_b:

Simple reach out to you Federal Law Enforcement that handle copyright issues they should be able to settle it for you

I know here in the US the Dept. of Justice and the FCC have a special division that deals with these types of issues with China.

view photos

Nate Arnold Photography says:

They are using many of my photos too

elevation.maplogs.com/poi/palomino_trail_sarasota_fl_usa....
Posted 4 months ago. ( permalink )

view photos

Orbmiser says:

The unauthorized use of Flickr images from government sites,commercial sites,Mom & Pop blogs has been ongoing since inception. And has happened to me from poster,coffee cup,prints sites to well known magazines like Wired and such using my images and refusing to even acknowledge emails.

You can ask for them to be removed. Or send an official DMCA take down notice. Or ask for payment to use. If they agree I ask for reasonable price for image use and they pay. Which are a small percentage of violators using my images.

They can choose to respect that or ignore. Only option then is legal action which is very involved and expensive to undertake. Only success I have had with those that ignored me was if they were using one of my Getty images. Then I informed Getty and let them scare them into removing or paying for it.
Orbmiser edited this topic 4 months ago.

view photos

2c.. says:

I've recently found Air BNB using my images without permission, no attribution link back and what's more downloading to their servers from Flickr. This would have to be illegal and Image theft if it's transferred to another server from flickr's static farm server that hosts your images.

I've sent a DCMA, with no reply yet.

AirBNB hosting server//

a0.muscache.com/im/pictures/b8712dc0-7de7-4e90-b8e2-43fe3...

Flickr original -
www.flickr.com/photos/44589582@N08/34715004705

The upshot is Flickr have to do more to protect it's members work, Pixsy a help, but not a enough. A applicable large watermark applied over the image when someone tries to download illegally maybe. Other sites do it, so why not Flickr...

view photos

albyn.davis says:

2c..:

I apply my own watermark, a small "signature," in the lower right or left corner for all pictures posted. I save the original for trusted venues that don't want watermarks (such as contests, sellers).

If I may be so bold, with yours, I'd put a different shade of green in the lower right. Then, perhaps, Air BNB's steal becomes marketing for you.

Don't want someone else plastering watermarks on my pictures.

view photos

2c.. says:

albyn.davis:

Hi Albyn,

Thanks, I've tried to avoid putting watermarks across the images because I just really wanted to have clear for the flickr community. I never post full res only low res/web res with a invisible watermark through them so we can prove they are not orphan images if they are out in the wild and the metadata is removed from them.

I think Flickr need to do more to prevent unauthorized access of images from their servers. A link back is fine, but downloading from them is not unless the is image is marked CC rights. At the moment everything is open and free to download at what size you originally posted it and it's been wholesale abused by some of the web community. Flickr recently asked me what I thought of the 6k resolution feature, well it's mama from heaven for people who want steal images off flickr if the originals are posted in Hi Res.

view photos

John Frattura says:

2c..:

The image that you linked to is also on other websites. Did you give another website permission to use the image?

view photos

InnAtElmwood says:

b_benjamin_b:

your profile page lists a discontinued Google mapping site, Panoramio; are they lifting your pics from those old links?

view photos

Flickr Staff

cabb88 says:

Hey, all. Thank you for reporting maplogs.com to us. Our Trust and Safety team investigated and the site does not appear to be using the Flickr API to power it. This means that the best course of action is to file a DMCA claim directly with the site, as it sounds like others in the thread have had success with.

In instances where we find that a site is abusing the Flickr API in such a manner, we terminate their API key to prevent further misuse. You can always report sites directly to us here.
Posted 3 months ago. ( permalink )

This thread was closed automatically due to a lack of responses over the last month.

Subscribe to a feed of stuff on this page... Feed – Subscribe to help discussion threads