Help / The Help Forum

This thread was closed automatically due to a lack of responses over the last month.

Hot Topics

[Official Thread] Have an idea for Flickr? Share it here.
Latest: 4 hours ago
New Flickr Notifications Center and Settings available to all members.
Latest: 32 hours ago
[Updated April 26, 2021] Flickr is moving payments to Stripe
Latest: 10 months ago
Welcome to the Flickr Help Forum! Click here to get started and to read our Forum Guidelines.
Latest: 15 months ago

Current Discussion

I cannot see pictures only comments and other details
Latest: 76 minutes ago
Is this a bug in the Feed?
Latest: 2 hours ago
Do we keep the RSS feed for activity/notifications?
Latest: 3 hours ago
User links in notifications bug?
Latest: 3 hours ago
ignore
Latest: 4 hours ago
Is it Flickr? Users? or Is it Me? - Views & Comments vastly reduced.
Latest: 6 hours ago
[BUG?] For a same Photograph, Numbers of shots dispalyed different between Pool Justifed and Square view (Admin view)
Latest: 7 hours ago
forum for constructive feedback on new notifications
Latest: 10 hours ago
totally confused by sunset happenings
Latest: 11 hours ago
Thumbnail problem
Latest: 14 hours ago
[Acknowledged by Flickr Staff] Organizr still messing up album cover photos
Latest: 15 hours ago
Uploading
Latest: 15 hours ago
More...

Search the Help Forum

Third party website allowing users to download photographs from Flickr

Stewart Fullerton Photography says:

It has recently come to my attention that a new photo search engine website was launched, but the thing I find concerning is that even though you have downloading disabled, this site allows any user to download your work, full resolution photographs.

I have disabled the ability for anyone to download full res versions of my pictures, but this new website gets around that rule, this doesn't just affect me, it affects every other Flickr user that has downloading disabled, your work can be downloaded by anyone even if you have downloading turned off.

This surely has to be a breach of the Flickr terms and conditions, and I'm not too pleased that my work is being made downloadable on this site.

I have reported this matter to Flickr, but just to make everyone aware of this.
Posted at 2:53AM, 13 July 2021 PDT ( permalink )
Stewart Fullerton Photography edited this topic 2 months ago.

view photos

Ulster1916 says:

An excellent website, thanks for posting the link
Posted 2 months ago. ( permalink )

view photos

Richard Harvey UK says:

Is this one of those Flickr API things? Every image is on there (well, the several pages I looked at, including the OP and my stuff).
That said, clearly it needs tweaking to respect download/ privacy and content settings from source.
Richard Harvey UK edited this topic 2 months ago.

view photos

Richard Harvey UK says:

Stewart Fullerton Photography:

You were wise to delete the link I think but I did catch it. They appear to be UK based so why not contact them directly?

view photos

albyn.davis says:

This is why I watermark my pictures.

view photos

Ulster1916 says:

Are not the photos identified by any tags the user has applied to their own photos. The first one on the website has 31 tags, if that is the case the answer is simple.
photofinder.tdbtools.com/

view photos

Richard Harvey UK says:

Ulster1916:

Yes they are. But I think the point is that the site developer should respect the wishes of the image owner, which they don’t currently. A strongly worded communication from Flickr lawyers might be in order methinks..

And I wouldn’t give the site the oxygen of publicity. It’s not very good imo.

view photos

Ulster1916 says:

Richard Harvey UK:

Better that members can see what the subject is IMO

view photos

Richard Harvey UK says:

Ulster1916:

Fair point. I see they’ve trawled todays explore. That won’t be troubling me then! 😂

view photos

Richard Harvey UK:

As a Software Engineer I would guess they're using the API, and some kind of hack where you can get full res images from accounts that have downloading disabled, "dl.php" does all the work.

view photos

mikerofoto says:

You can go in your settings, privacy and permission, hide your stuff from public search : yes, on 3rd party sites.

Thats about all you can to prevent them, as for downloading images on flickr, it always been an unresolved issue.

*** edit:
Don’t upload full res pictures, so they’ll only get max what you upload!

view photos

mikerofoto:

That didn't work unfortunately, the photos are still on the site. Flickr got back and told me to go to them, which I've done but I'm expecting a polite F off or being ignored completely.

I rather upload full res photos because one of my hard drives packed in a decade back and I lost a bulk of my photos, but they were still on Flickr which was good, I was able to retrieve them all again.

view photos

Silanov says:

In their DMCA policy they say: "We rely on copyright owners to protect their own copyright interests by communicating with us. We will immediately take down the link in response to a valid notice of alleged infringement submitted under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act ("DMCA")."

Unfortunately that's not how things are meant to work. Hence, the statement above doesn't protect the website owners from any legal action taken against them. They might even know this, therefore - as usual on websites like that - they haven't published any imprint.

The legally correct procedure would be to ask the copyright owners beforehand if you are allowed to publish their photos. By no means it's the duty of the copyright owners to ask the owners of such websites to take down images, they have never been allowed to publish and make downloadable without even posting any copyright information.
Silanov edited this topic 2 months ago.

view photos

Mitchel25J (46 million + Views Thank You ) says:

Since it's a UK-based website that reaches out to the UK Government that handles digital images and explain the issue they should be able to resolve the issue. If not reach out to a Digital Photography Lawyer based in the UK and ask them to look at your case.

view photos

Ulster1916 says:

Good luck with the copyright issues I think that you will need it, a lawyer really, that will not come cheap!

view photos

Richard Harvey UK says:

It is still Flickr’s problem as this site breaches the contract they (the 3rd party) agreed to.

www.flickr.com/help/terms/api

Read paragraph 1a.

view photos

splinx1 says:

Richard Harvey UK:

Yes, but the problem, as such, really falls on TDB Tools, which brands itself as a "photo search engine," since they are in violation of Flickr's terms of use, as you note.

Whether or not Flickr decides to go after TDB Tools remains to be seen. I don't know if Flickr would have grounds to sue them for damages, and of course lawyers aren't cheap, but I doubt the "photo search engine" would exist unless some benefit accrued to TDB.

I have virtually all of my photos marked "All Rights Reserved," which in simple language means anyone wanting to use my photograph for any purpose must first get my permission.

I also now discretely put my mark on all photos I post to Flickr, as I saw complaints about Flickr users stealing other people's photographs, and posting them on their own Flickr photostreams. Unfortunately, discrete marks like mine are fairly easily removed or cropped out.

By now, of course, it should not be a news flash that there are thieves in this world.

[Edited to correct company name]
splinx1 edited this topic 2 months ago.

view photos

Sent to Flickr after they responded to my concern.....

Hi there Nicole, using the API to "view" my pictures on screen is not my concern here, as I use the API to do that myself, my main concern is that photofinder.tdbtools.com are providing users with "download" links, even though I have downloading disabled.

I contacted them about this situation and they claim that some of my pictures had the "Creative Commons" license, but I can assure you that all my pictures are "All Rights Reserved".

The link below was a photograph I took on Sunday, "All Rights Reserved"... if you scroll down the page, you can see on the right hand side of the page the download links to every photo size, including one to the full-res original.

photofinder.tdbtools.com/photo/51305114099/colonel-mustar...

Reading paragraph 1a of the Flickr API Terms of Use it mentions the following.

You shall comply with any requirements or restrictions imposed on usage of the photos by their respective owners. Remember, SmugMug doesn't own the images - Flickr users do. Although the Flickr APIs can be used to provide you with access to Flickr user photos, neither SmugMug's provision of the Flickr APIs to you nor your use of the Flickr APIs override the photo owners' requirements and restrictions, which may include "all rights reserved" notices

I think that what they're doing is a clear violation of this, because as I said I have downloading of my pictures disabled, but you can download the photographs with the click of a button on this site, they are "overriding" my restriction and anyone who visits can steal my photos.

Stewart Fullerton

view photos

Richard Harvey UK says:

Well put. Let us know how you get on.

view photos

Viejito says:

anyone who visits can steal my photos.
They are giving access to the same sizes of your photos that Flickr does, and they do give a link to your flickrpage. The difference, as you point out, is that they give an easy download link, whereas on flickr it takes a few extra clicks to download the photos.

view photos

Viejito:

If you have downloading disabled however, you can view the picture but you can't save it, but if you're techy you can press F12 to enable dev tools and download the image that way.

A hack job to me.

view photos

I figured out something, if you set the "largest shared image size" to just large, the full-res version of your photo no longer appears as a download on their website.

That kinda solves my biggest complaint, but how are other people who have downloading disabled meant to know that?

view photos

Viejito says:

can press [info removed] to enable dev tools
It can be done without using those tools. On Firefox one does not even need to view the page source.

Some sites do a better job preventing downloading. What Flickr does is not preventing downloading but just not giving a direct link to do it.

In general, it is safer to not ask Flickr to keep things from viewers, but to just not upload any photos or info that you do not want viewed.

view photos

Flickr Staff

katie_ko says:

Thanks to everyone for jumping in!

Thanks for alerting the community-- I see you’re in touch with staff directly who have passed the report on to the appropriate team.

For anyone in the future looking to bring any potential violations to our attention, the best way to do so will be through the "contact us" form:

1. Go to the Contact Us form.
2. Fill out the form and select Trust & Safety from the dropdown.
3. Select Issue.
4. Enter a message detailing the report.
5. Click Send.

Thanks!

(Just a note that we've removed a few comments from the thread that were starting to steer the conversation away from the topic at hand & from the spirit of being helpful. Thanks for understanding & continuing to assume good intentions)

(edited 7/15 to add missing word- "good")
katie_ko (staff) edited this topic 2 months ago.

This thread was closed automatically due to a lack of responses over the last month.

Subscribe to a feed of stuff on this page... Feed – Subscribe to help discussion threads