Help / The Help Forum

This thread was closed automatically due to a lack of responses over the last month.

Hot Topics

[Official Thread] Have an idea for Flickr? Share it here.
Latest: 11 hours ago
New Flickr Notifications Center and Settings available to all members.
Latest: 6 days ago
[Updated April 26, 2021] Flickr is moving payments to Stripe
Latest: 10 months ago
Welcome to the Flickr Help Forum! Click here to get started and to read our Forum Guidelines.
Latest: 16 months ago

Current Discussion

"Let us know what you think."
Latest: 7 minutes ago
Downloading pictures
Latest: 7 hours ago
Is it Flickr? Users? or Is it Me? - Views & Comments vastly reduced.
Latest: 7 hours ago
Shared album doesn't show all photos
Latest: 8 hours ago
Picture count off
Latest: 11 hours ago
Want to be appointed administrator
Latest: 14 hours ago
CHANGE of COVER PHOTO
Latest: 15 hours ago
How to get photos to Flickr with titles and descriptions from Photos.app?
Latest: 15 hours ago
Image counter broken again?
Latest: 28 hours ago
banned from group, pictures still there, can't get them out.
Latest: 29 hours ago
Can't Change My Banner Photo
Latest: 33 hours ago
Limitations of new Notifications page
Latest: 34 hours ago
More...

Search the Help Forum

Mapping problem: Yellowstone National Park missing?

Gray Lensman QX! says:

I've some vids of the Biscuit Basin geysers that were combined in iMovie, so I wanted to manually place the video on the map, but it didn't like Yellowstone National Park in Wyoming. However, it did return the Yellowstone Wildlife Management Area in Montana, which isn't related. Seems like a major oversight. Is the map app going to be overhauled anytime soon?
Posted at 7:30AM, 22 July 2021 PDT ( permalink )

view photos

Viejito says:

Even if you manage to place the video in the right location and the map says Yellowstone National Park, the caption underneath the map might still say “Three River Junction” or even “Teton”!...
Posted 2 months ago. ( permalink )

view photos

Gray Lensman QX! says:

Viejito:

So the map is a feature in name only. I see people complain about various problems with it, such as what you describe, but I thought at least its database would include the first national park.

Has Flickr ever committed to fixing it?

view photos

Viejito says:

If you go to Organize Map, zoom all the way in to the proper location and move the dot around (when it works) you may land on a spot that says Old Faithful or something below.

view photos

Gray Lensman QX! says:

Viejito:

Well, I'll give that a try, thanks!

view photos

jschumacher says:

Viejito:

move the dot around (when it works)

You should be able to move the pin around using Chrome. It does not, however, work with Firefox. The workaround for Firefox is to pull the photo off the map into the tray at the bottom of Organizer and them place it back onto the map.

Gray Lensman QX!:
Has Flickr ever committed to fixing it?

They've acknowledged that the map could use improvements but I don't know if they've made a hard commitment to doing so.

The location lookup is eccentric at best. One thing that has worked for me is to search for the town/city nearest where I want to place the photo. Search only for the town or city name, don't include the state/province or zip/postal code. That brings up a list of place names from which you can choose your intended location. In your example search for Jackson, choose Jackson, WY and then pan/zoom to the location in Yellowstone.

view photos

Gray Lensman QX! says:

jschumacher:

Thanks, I'll see how that works too.

view photos

Viejito says:

jschumacher:

to pull the photo off the map into the tray
Indeed: that is what I have been doing when a photo needed moving.
The location lookup is eccentric at best.
I have never used it. I generally know pretty much where to find places on the map, and when unsure, use Google maps in another tab and compare maps.

view photos

Mike Slade. says:

The mapping "feature" is a longstanding fail that needs removing altogether until its been fixed, it's an embarrassment to flickr.

view photos

Viejito says:

Mike Slade.:

that needs removing altogether until its been fixed
If everything that needs fixing must be removed, not just in Flickr but in all websites, there will not be much internet left...

view photos

Mike Slade. says:

Viejito:

Mike Slade.:
that needs removing altogether until its been fixed
If everything that needs fixing must be removed, not just in Flickr but in all websites, there will not be much internet left...

You are putting words into my mouth I didn't say every thing that needs fixing should be removed just the mapping if you care to read my post again.

Thanks.
Mike Slade. edited this topic 2 months ago.

view photos

jschumacher says:

Gray Lensman QX!:

I have to modify my answer as I just discovered that searching by city and state (i.e. Auburn, New York) once again works in the Organizer. At least it did for a couple of smaller cities in New York. This is how place name searching originally worked before it stopped doing so several years ago.

This thread was closed automatically due to a lack of responses over the last month.

Subscribe to a feed of stuff on this page... Feed – Subscribe to help discussion threads