Help / The Help Forum

This thread has been closed by Flickr Staff.

Hot Topics

[Official Thread] Have an idea for Flickr? Share it here.
Latest: 2 hours ago
New Flickr Notifications Center and Settings available to all members.
Latest: 5 weeks ago
[Updated April 26, 2021] Flickr is moving payments to Stripe
Latest: 11 months ago
Welcome to the Flickr Help Forum! Click here to get started and to read our Forum Guidelines.
Latest: 17 months ago

Current Discussion

Sudden drop in overall views.
Latest: 54 minutes ago
Feed page vs. People page
Latest: 88 minutes ago
why my safe photos are beeing restriced by the bot?
[BUG] The "photos not in a set" filter isn't working in Organizr
photos being stolen?
Extremely low views and faves
Latest: 5 hours ago
[Acknowledged by Flickr Staff] Notifications - not showing older than 2hrs
[Resolved] cannot cancel Pro
[Investigating] No pictures photostrip or else!
Latest: 7 hours ago
Latest: 10 hours ago
Pages aren´t loading
Latest: 26 hours ago
Releasing an alias/URL if the original member seems to no longer be active?
Latest: 27 hours ago
More...

Search the Help Forum

[Resolved] Uploading stalls out

That Hartford Guy says:

Thursday morning July 29th. Been trying to upload pics all morning. Progress bar stalls at 50% and no pics load.

The old uploader works though.

Edit by staff: Title updated to current status 8/2/21
Posted at 6:22AM, 29 July 2021 PDT ( permalink )
Melanie0426 (staff) edited this topic 3 months ago.

view photos

mcnod says:

That Hartford Guy:

How large was the batch that you were trying to upload?
Posted 3 months ago. ( permalink )

view photos

zigazou76 says:

When I upload 4 images at a time, the upload works.
When I upload 5 images or more at a time, the upload does not work anymore (images are sent but the uploader cannot publish them)
Will try the old uploader.

view photos

mcnod says:

zigazou76:

When I upload 4 images at a time, the upload works.
When I upload 5 images or more at a time, the upload does not work anymore

These numbers are consistent with the pertinent numbers from an old thread that I cannot find. An old thread that explains what changes when the number reaches five.

view photos

dimaruss34 says:

Can't upload 5 images at a time, tried several times. And page responds only to reload, so one only wasted time.

view photos

dimaruss34 says:

And more: "Tags" does not respond on the first letter of a new tag, you have to type individually to each image (if you try to load only 4 images).

view photos

Clickam says:

Subi 9 fotos y no me salen? las vuelvo a subir y se queda ahi cargando? me llenan el espacio que queda y no me salen las fotos!

view photos

dimaruss34 says:

OK, we have surprise: After I uploaded 4 + 1 images and then opened my photostream I found not only 5 new images, but 5 doubles - previous 5 images that I could not Upload before and went to 4 + 1!!!!

view photos

splattergraphics says:

Five photos and the uploader freezes. Refreshing takes me back to the selection page. Two photos and it works, three photos and it works.
Kind of a problem when I'm trying to upload five each from multiple events.
splattergraphics edited this topic 3 months ago.

view photos

txmx 2 says:

same here (Germany)

view photos

JFM_3 says:

I’m having issues as well. Stuck in Publishing for me. Twice now tonight. Smaller batches seem to work, but I have a lot of photos to load today :/

view photos

blue_william says:

This is happening for me, too. Have to upload 4 at a time. The desktop uploader is no help - it claims to have uploaded a whole lot more than actually get into my photostream, and I don't know how to tell it "no, actually, they didn't upload, try again"

view photos

J3 HK | The Real Hong Kong says:

I upload 10 images at a time, sometimes 20 with an average of 50 - 100 images a day, no problems until this morning

I simply cannot upload even a single image, it times out

clearly there is an issue at the moment

I am in Hong Kong

view photos

SJH Foto says:

I am still having this problem as well. I contacted flickr via email and they said that a small number of people were having this issue, and that they would let me know when it is fixed (Frankly, they've promised this before, but never got back to me, so I am not sure if they will update me)

view photos

Jelltex says:

Same here in the UK, uploading 5 images, stuck on publishing. Not showing on my stream, yet.

view photos

Alexander Volok says:

Confirm. Ukraine. 4 photos can be uploaded, 5+ and uploader just stalls out

view photos

Giåm says:

Same issue for me here in Sweden

view photos

Nick Turland says:

Same here. Germany. Tried to upload 15 photos. Complete waste of time.

view photos

Bas1953 says:

Same here on Madeira Island.............

view photos

Flickr Staff

R L Catlow says:

Hi, all,

Thank you for flagging this and apologies for the trouble. We're investigating further, to figure out what's causing this issue.

We will continue to update this thread with any relevant information.

Thanks

view photos

brecht.corbeel says:

Same here

view photos

brecht.corbeel says:

It might be a good idea to have a button that aborts the final upload in cases like this so you don't have to go over organising all over when something goes wrong.

view photos

brecht.corbeel says:

Or a scheduler that can pull from a pool of pre uploaded files.

view photos

SReed99342 says:

Same here in the UK. When I upload in batches of four it works, but any more than that and publishing stalls.

view photos

brecht.corbeel says:

Or have the files uploaded staying in a que so refreshing doesn't remove them.

view photos

brecht.corbeel says:

Just tried the uploader tool It had the green uploaded icon on there. Did nothing. Either I did something wrong or not working either.

view photos

Leo Reynolds says:

view photos

yclept8 says:

Uploading 9 pictures hangs on "Publishing" with 30% CPU usage in the wait. Uploading 3 images at a time works fine.

view photos

*Vindaloo* says:

Also stuck at the publishing stage here (UK)

view photos

Cliff Jones Photographs says:

Stuck here too!

view photos

007jackflash says:

I uploaded a handful of photos at around 1300 Australian Eastern Standard Time (U.T.C. +10), and I didn't have a problem, but when I tried uploading around 100 photos at around 1800 A.E.S.T., it got stuck in the publishing stage. I have tried uploading one or two photos, and it still gets stuck in the publishing stage.

view photos

Davydutchy says:

Uploading no more than 10 pictures at the moment (from The Netherlands), but upload got stuck. Nothing has happened for some 20 minutes now and I guess I will have to do it all over again, tags, titles, descriptions, you name it. Very annoying!

view photos

JimmyPierce says:

same here

view photos

wrecks, relics, warbirds and classics says:

Same here (Netherlands) with 6 pics

view photos

mcnod says:

Still cannot find the exact old thread I wanted to review. Something does change when you attempt to upload 5 or more with the standard web uploader, I just cannot remember what the technical difference is. Serial vs. parallel uploading? See this thread entry:
www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157632285868713/#reply7...

they actually had to turn off the web uploader back in 2012 (farther down in the old thread). May not relate to the current situation but seems similar.

view photos

MisterQque says:

I tried to upload 10 photos today (July 30 EDT). Stalled out!!!! I have been uploading 10 a day for a long time with no issues. Once in a while, the "tags" feature on the upload doesn't automatically give me choices after I type in the first letter or two. This problem is intermittent and usually occurs when I publish one batch and then try to publish another one later on.

view photos

Flickr Staff

kp-kp-kp says:

Hey everyone, we're looking into this. We'll keep folks posted on our status page at status.flickr.net.

view photos

GaryRea66 says:

Same here. It was slow yesterday, but finally finished. Today, it's stuck at "Publishing...." with no further progress. I have logged out, logged back in, with no improvement. I have restarted my iPad, logged back in. Same thing. It sat there doing nothing while I had my breakfast. I think you need to fix your server. This is reminding me of Yahoo!

view photos

touchingthelight says:

Me too. Tried 10:00 BST this morning, again at 15:00 BST with a reboot in between. Hangs totally trying to upload a batch of 10 with no option to abort and hold the batch data.

view photos

My photos live here says:

Similar problem for me as well today - unable to upload large groups, just smaller ones. This is happening over two accounts as well.

view photos

Rinka_FloralGarden says:

same here(HongKong). Only can upload 4 images in one time.

view photos

SergioThorPhoto says:

uploading still doesnt work

view photos

LRCCD says:

That Hartford Guy:

Same here. It would be good if you have some sort of notifications to this! Spent much wasted time trying to upload. This sucks!

view photos

LRCCD says:

Same here. It would be good if you have some sort of notifications to this! Spent much wasted time trying to upload. This sucks!

view photos

nolehace says:

...10 am...friday july 30th...uploadr is a major fail...a consistent product would be nice...

view photos

nolehace says:

SergioThorPhoto:

...i agree...

view photos

nolehace says:

GaryRea66:

...agree...

view photos

nolehace says:

Davydutchy:

...agree...very annoying to work x 30 minutes and then have your work not upload...old issue...and we continue to pay for this service?...

view photos

Flickr Staff

cabb88 says:

Hey, folks. Our team is still investigating and working on this issue. We'll continue posting updates over on our status page as we make progress.

view photos

Flickr Staff

cabb88 says:

Update here: As mentioned on our status page, you should now be able to upload batches of up to 20 photos without any issues. Let us know if you encounter any trouble doing so. More to come!

view photos

Yardski says:

The basic problem here isn't so much the upload failures. Those will happen from time to time. The bigger problems are (a) the lack of communication of the upload failures when you load the Uploadr, and (b) the extreme consequence of an upload failure on Flickr.

I just tried to upload 63 photos. Had no idea there was a problem with uploading and this sort of number normally works. The upload failed. So now I have to do it all again. The 45 minutes I spent fixing up the photos for upload is 100% wasted. It is far from the first time this has happened. And every time it is exceedingly frustrating.

It would seem relatively simple to allow you to save your upload data to a file that could be imported at a later date. Or at least, abort the upload so that you can copy paste all your tags and titles out manually. You can't do either. It would seem relatively simple to put a big red banner on top of a page to point us at the status page when there is significant disruption. There isn't one.

view photos

Jasperdo says:

Yardski:

That's an excellent idea. My main frustration with these upload issues isn't so much the problem itself. These things happen, I understand. It's just extremely annoying to have spent a good deal of time in the Uploadr, adding tags, descriptions, etc., only to hit the upload button and find that it's frozen and all that work was for naught. Some sort of notification when there is an issue, or at least the ability to save your work for later would be very useful.

view photos

Latium says:

Jasperdo:

Absolutely correct, after all we pay enough for this site!

view photos

pault92sho says:

That Hartford Guy:

I have been unable to upload more than 1 or 2, since Thursday 29. Now 13:00 PDT and it is still stalling, no pictures apparently get through. Tried rebooting, restarting Firefox, closing window and reopening Flickr, no change.

view photos

Nick Turland says:

The 15 photos I uploaded this morning (Germany) have now appeared in my photostream, although they weren't there earlier today. All titles, descriptions and tags are correct, just not added to albums. So it was not wasted time after all.

view photos

*_* says:

Jasperdo:

The uploader will pick up the EXIF tags of the photos (title, description, tags / keywords, location). So you can use something like Adobe Bridge www.adobe.com/products/bridge.html (which is free) to fill the info and then, you just have to drag and drop to the Flickr uploader and everything will be filled. If there is an issue with the upload, you don't have to start from scratch.

view photos

LRCCD says:

From what I can tell, the upload process times out if there are too many files to upload. I am able to upload a hand full of files.

view photos

SJH Foto says:

Yardski:

That's my issue as well. There needs to be more communication on website issues. I have to confess I find it especially annoying when I email the flickr help and the response is either a "canned speech" or one that makes it seem like they've not heard of the problem when there is a slew of complaints on the help forum about it. This time they said the problem was affecting a very small number of people-and that may be. But honestly, I would say that for everyone mentioning it here, there are a hundred or more that have been affected!

view photos

mag3737 says:

SJH Foto:

For every person who is mentioning it here, how many other people do you imagine are NOT affected? Do you suppose any of them would even mention that here at all?

view photos

SJH Foto says:

mag3737:

I think it is a fairly large percentage, but I suppose if they really wanted to check, the flickr crew can tell by seeing if the number of uploads has decreased appreciably overall.

I just can't understand how a site can be "partially down" It seems to me it would either work or not work for all. How can this affect only some? (It is definitely affecting enough members that it is an issue on flickr's end and not our computers)

view photos

Paul McClure DC says:

Jasperdo:

Completely agree with these points. It's almost certainly known to Flickr staff very quickly when uploads aren't working, so letting us all know about the status of the Uploadr would save a lot of wasted time and build a lot of goodwill with users.

view photos

Bongaboi says:

Flickr's uploader died today. Usually I am able to bulk upload screenshots but this time, it's borked. Better fix it guys. I rarely comment, but if I do, it's because you guys screwed up bigly.

view photos

mag3737 says:

SJH Foto:

I for one trust that Flickr is using all the resources they have at their disposal to determine what's going on when there are problems like these.

view photos

SJH Foto says:

mag3737:

I do too, Mag. What I said I didn't like was the "damage control" that I think they do by poo-pooing complaints or not speaking up about what the problem is and an ETA of fixing it.

There would be no reason for flickr not to "us(e) all the resources they have at their disposal to determine what's going on when there are problems like these", and I never disagreed with that

view photos

MONUDET says:

delet
MONUDET edited this topic 3 months ago.

view photos

MONUDET says:

Tak jsem poslal 4 fotky. Ty prošly. Tak zkusím čekat. Držím palce.

view photos

MONUDET says:

Prošlo i 5 fotek, ale bohužel nebylo funkční zařazení do alb. To je bohužel dávný problém, který už ani "neřeším". Chrome. Otevřu si pak Organizer a opravuji to ručně.

view photos

Flickr Staff

R L Catlow says:

Hi, all,

As per the status page, our engineers have now deployed a fix. However, if you are still running into issues, please flag here.

We will leave this thread open a little while longer, while we continue to monitor the situation.

view photos

brecht.corbeel says:

SJH Foto:

They would not have seen a decrease. My pictures were on there today for most of the attempts I made yesterday so they were uploaded just not placed on the page.

view photos

I have been uploading all day, no issue and now my last 2 batches of 10 images have failed to upload and timed out, it seems the issue is not quite fixed

I am based in Hong Kong

view photos

adskankster says:

R L Catlow:

EDIT: it looks like I can upload up to about 20 at a time. Anything above that seems to give an indefinite hang.

I've tried to upload again, after a failure part way through yesterday, but the site seems to want to try and carry on at the previous failure point and stays stuck at that point. Is there a way to reset it, so it's starting from scratch again?
adskankster edited this topic 3 months ago.

view photos

Further to my message 10 minutes ago, the images have now appeared on my photostream, intact with all the groups but the error messages were very real

view photos

and now it is functioning perfectly again

view photos

Leo Reynolds says:

I just uploaded 34 photos without a problem :)

view photos

Latium says:

Just uploaded 25 photo's, the ones that failed yesterday, and of course I had to annotate and tag them all... again!
I really have better things to do.

view photos

nowboy8 says:

Not able to upload, only trying 25, usually 100 plus at a time, what with this and tagging being useless and not working for 2 weeks now I've about had enough of a service I'm paying a lot for that's not working, come on staff get it sorted out.

view photos

irenelamelas says:

That Hartford Guy:

flickr.net said problem solve, but still cant upload mora than 10 at a time

view photos

tompagenet says:

It's still not working for me. When I upload from iPad (using Safari) the first few photos upload fine, but then every other photo times out and no amount of pressing retry fixes it.

view photos

TheCrazySweed says:

Not working for me either. Stalls out on "Hang in there, tiger" or something similar.

Funny thing is that the images uploaded seem to be using up my quota, but the photos aren't there. Camera roll, photostream, albums, organizr - all show 1/5th of the photo count that is reported on my profile and in my quota. I suspect these are the failed photo attempts.

view photos

irenelamelas says:

Not working for me either.
Appears "Hang in there, tiger" or something similar.

view photos

The problem is back, I am now uploading 10 images at a time and it times out and stalls but the images appear on the photostream or they don't... this is wasting a lot of time

I am in Hong Kong

view photos

JazzyLT says:

My uploading has stalled in the "publishing" stage, I've tried this (large) batch twice now. I didn't realize there was a larger issue with uploads, figured it was me. Status bar is probably at about 75-80% complete, same as last time when it stalled out in the "hang in there tiger" stage.

view photos

tompagenet says:

tompagenet:

Still not working now. Five images upload then the rest fail.

view photos

IndiaEcho says:

view photos

Flickr Staff

Melanie0426 says:

Thank you for letting us know that you are still experiencing the uploading issue. I reached out to the engineers to let them know. We will follow up here with any updates.

view photos

BaronLC says:

R L Catlow:

Unable to upload pictures - stalls on 'Publishing...' I managed to get one batch up and have been trying the second batch for hours with no success. REALLY ANNOYING

view photos

BaronLC says:

How can you charge people for a site where the upload doesn't work?

view photos

Flickr Staff

Melanie0426 says:

For any members experiencing trouble uploading: our engineers need a bit more information. May I kindly ask for the following?

-What type of uploads is this affecting? (single photos, large batches, all uploads?)
-Are uploads getting stuck in publishing?
-Do photos eventually upload? If so, about how long were they stuck in publishing?

Let us know by replying in this thread.

Thanks for your help while we look into this further!

(edited for clarity)
katie_ko (staff) edited this topic 3 months ago.

view photos

albyn.davis says:

BaronLC:

MIne works fine.

view photos

topfklao says:

Melanie0426:

type of upload: large batch with 200 photos
Yes, all my uplads (Chrome and Firefox) got stuck in publishing
No photos were uploaded.

:(

view photos

albyn.davis says:

Melanie0426:

Absolutely no problem with one judicious upload at a time.

view photos

mcnod says:

BaronLC:

How can you charge people for a site where the upload doesn't work?

There are several upload options. If one uploader is having an issue, try an alternative, in this case, try the standard (basic) uploader.

view photos

Flickr Staff

katie_ko says:

Update: Our engineers have identified the root cause affecting uploads & are actively working on a fix.

We'll report back shortly to let you know when you can expect uploading to be back functioning as intended!

Can those folks affected try uploading again & let us know how things are looking on your end?

If you're still running into issues, please provide the following details:

-What type of uploads is this affecting? (single photos, large batches, all uploads?)
-Are uploads getting stuck in publishing?
-Do photos eventually upload? If so, about how long were they stuck in publishing?

We'll keep an eye out for new reports!

(edited to include latest information)
katie_ko (staff) edited this topic 3 months ago.

view photos

irenelamelas says:

Melanie0426:

Hi! The problem is uploading in batches.
If try to upload just 5 pictures, it works perfectly. But if more than 12, it get stuck while publishing.

I would be great if you let us know when the problem is solved. This is very time consuming for us, that use flickr as a working tool. irenelamelas (PRO)

view photos

Flickr Staff

Wilson Lam {WLQ} says:

irenelamelas:

Hello, we are working on this problem with our team. It appears our systems are clean enough now that that uploads should work like normal. Do you mind retrying for us?

Thanks in advance,
Wilson

view photos

adskankster says:

That worked for me now. >60 pictures/videos uploaded to an album successfully. Previously I couldn't load >20 at a time.

Many thanks.

view photos

Flickr Staff

Wilson Lam {WLQ} says:

adskankster:

Thanks for your reply.

view photos

Les Petits Plats says:

Cannot upload a batch of 240 photos to flickr. when I try to upload the first picture has the upload symbol on it, then nothing.
I'm in S.W. France.
Les Petits Plats edited this topic 3 months ago.

view photos

Flickr Staff

Wilson Lam {WLQ} says:

Les Petits Plats:

Try to refresh your cache and cookies and restart your browser and try again.

view photos

Nik J. says:

Works for me too (108 photos at once) and it was very fast too. Great work!

view photos

JazzyLT says:

Yep, worked for my large batch tonight too. Thanks!

view photos

Omygodtom says:

Four Pics,Still stalling out for me..Portland Oregon,USA.

view photos

Flickr Staff

katie_ko says:

Omygodtom:

If you haven't already, can you please clear your cache and cookies and restart your browser before trying again?

view photos

ipanema.sueno says:

Clearing cache and cookies worked for me

view photos

tompagenet says:

katie_ko:

Still happening for me. Safari on iPad Pro. Cleared all browsing data. 8 files succeed, 6 fail.

view photos

Flickr Staff

katie_ko says:

Since this particular uploading issue has been resolved, closing this thread.

If you're still running into lingering uploads, please clear your cache and cookies and restart your browser & try uploading again.

If the issue persists, please feel free to contact staff directly to assist in troubleshooting or start a new thread!

This thread has been closed by Flickr Staff.

Subscribe to a feed of stuff on this page... Feed – Subscribe to help discussion threads