Help / The Help Forum

This thread was closed automatically due to a lack of responses over the last month.

Hot Topics

[Official Thread] Have an idea for Flickr? Share it here.
Latest: 2 days ago
New Flickr Notifications Center and Settings available to all members.
Latest: 5 weeks ago
[Updated April 26, 2021] Flickr is moving payments to Stripe
Latest: 11 months ago
Welcome to the Flickr Help Forum! Click here to get started and to read our Forum Guidelines.
Latest: 17 months ago

Current Discussion

Pro
Latest: 18 minutes ago
panda........
Latest: 66 minutes ago
Extremely low views and faves
Latest: 67 minutes ago
Going to "end" in Faves
Latest: 86 minutes ago
[BUG] Our Favorites: The last pages are empty (working before)
Latest: 87 minutes ago
The "Your Inbox Appears Empty" bug strikes again
Latest: 2 hours ago
Resume writing service in Canada
Latest: 3 hours ago
"You have no public photos."
Latest: 4 hours ago
Sudden drop in overall views.
Latest: 5 hours ago
New Notification Center IS NOT AVAILABLE TO ALL MEMBERS
Latest: 5 hours ago
Flickr not working on Samsung smart TV web browser.
Latest: 9 hours ago
Notifications -- why do I see several copies of the same comment
Latest: 13 hours ago
More...

Search the Help Forum

[Acknowledged by Flickr Staff] My total views

Rusti Steele says:

on MY profile page my views show 6M, when other Flickr members view my profile page they see 4.7M ....why the difference?
Posted at 11:40AM, 31 July 2021 PDT ( permalink )
katie_ko (staff) edited this topic 3 months ago.

view photos

Flickr Staff

katie_ko says:

Rusti Steele:

One of the most common explanations for these discrepancies is private content.

Although your view counts when logged in include views accumulated on these private photos, the number is significantly lower for visitors to your page since it excludes views for the private content they don't have access to.

If you feel that this doesn't fit your specific situation, feel free to contact staff directly & we'd he happy to take a closer look!
Posted 3 months ago. ( permalink )

view photos

mcnod says:

katie_ko:

One of the most common explanations for these discrepancies is private content.

As I suggested in this reply to a still open (but inactive) thread, my 43 private photos cannot explain the 203,422 view discrepancy. I don't personally care about the numbers, I'm not going to tie up staff time, but I submit that something else may be at play:
www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157719605293770/#reply7...

view photos

ernstkers says:

mcnod:

I submit that something else may be at play:

I agree with that. And it's not only about views, also the geotags don't match. With only 35 private pictures, most of them never getting a view, I see on my About page when logged in 6.6M views and when logged out 6.3M. That's a gap of about 300K. Or for each of those 35 hardly ever getting a view pictures an average of more views than my most viewed public photo ever got. If I look to my Stats page, the number is wrong on the About page when I'm not logged in.

When logged in I see on my About page 12.4K GeoTags and when logged out 12.2 GeoTags. That's a difference of about 200 GeoTags for my 35 non-public pictures of which many are not geotagged. I have geotagged all my public photos, so the count seems to be wrong when I'm not logged in.

At the other side, in both cases the page says I'm a member of 45 groups. But if Flickr is consistent, when I'm not logged in it shouldn't display the number of total groups, but the number of public groups. Again, the count is wrong when I'm not logged in.

Like mcnod I don't care about these differences, but there is some wrong counting at the Flickr end that cannot be explained by "private content".

view photos

Viejito says:

My views, tags, geotags and groups show the same number logged in or not, but my faves show a difference roughly corresponding to the number of faves on the photos that I rated moderate out of an abundance of caution, after I received a warning about the bare back on a b/w photo of a 1967 wool tapestry in a Los Angeles museum.

view photos

mcnod says:

Viejito:

My views, tags, geotags and groups show the same number logged in or not

Now this is interesting. I am in the unique position of having just recently run out of time on my Pro features and benefits. So two weeks ago my Stats page and my signed in About page was reporting 2,777,889 photo page views. (Numbers reported in the thread I linked to above.) Now, with a free account, my About page is reporting 2,579,924 views (signed in) and an unsigned browser shows 2,579,512. So somehow from downgrading to a Free account, it appears that I have lost most of those extra views. Fascinating . . .

view photos

Flickr Staff

katie_ko says:

Thanks for re-surfacing past conversations & providing additional insights!

For a little more context, we’ve found that deleted photos may also account for discrepancies folks are seeing.

From the sounds of things though, it seems the above may not cover all the reports here.

mcnod:

Thanks for pointing this out. We know that views are stored differently than stats (with stats containing more detailed information for Pro members) which likely factors into the parity you’re now seeing-- but I’d like to be able to bring some more concrete details back to you.

At this time I’ve created a report to pass along to our engineers to see if there’s anything additional explanations we can offer!

view photos

flat crowd says:

cool

view photos

wildhareuk says:

mcnod:

I know it's off topic, and please ignore me if you feel I'm asking too much, but is your free account status a permanent thing?

view photos

mag3737 says:

wildhareuk:

I can think of 7,512 (public) reasons to guess "probably not".

view photos

kiri-fuda says:

I was planning to close my Flickr account and deleted about 5,600 photos with 12 million total views. I later decided to continue for a while longer and have posted about 250 photos since the mass deletion. When logged in, my Flickr stats show the 12 million views plus about 300,000 views on the new uploads. When not logged in, my Flickr stats show only the 300,000 new views.

Perhaps the variance in your view totals is related to deleted photos?

view photos

Flickr Staff

Melanie0426 says:

We have become aware of another reason that there could be a difference in totals views.

If you have a geofence setup this limits what photos in your account have their geolocation displayed, which results in a difference of view counts when logged in vs logged out.

You may manage your Geofence by the following link:
www.flickr.com/account/geo/privacy/?from=privacy

Hope you find this information helpful. You may reach out to us directly here if you need further assistance.
Posted 2 months ago. ( permalink )

This thread was closed automatically due to a lack of responses over the last month.

Subscribe to a feed of stuff on this page... Feed – Subscribe to help discussion threads