Help / The Help Forum

This thread was closed automatically due to a lack of responses over the last month.

Hot Topics

[Official Thread] Have an idea for Flickr? Share it here.
Latest: 18 hours ago
New Flickr Notifications Center and Settings available to all members.
Latest: 4 weeks ago
[Updated April 26, 2021] Flickr is moving payments to Stripe
Latest: 11 months ago
Welcome to the Flickr Help Forum! Click here to get started and to read our Forum Guidelines.
Latest: 16 months ago

Current Discussion

Notifications: how to read multiple comments?
Latest: 11 minutes ago
[Investigating] No pictures photostrip or else!
Latest: 30 minutes ago
Releasing an alias/URL if the original member seems to no longer be active?
Latest: 43 minutes ago
cannot cancel Pro
Latest: 2 hours ago
iPhone video quality question
Latest: 4 hours ago
What's with searching your own photo's?
Latest: 5 hours ago
Replace a photo - non functional
Latest: 18 hours ago
Change order of photos in an album
Latest: 19 hours ago
Photos not showing up
Latest: 21 hours ago
Getting 1 Year Pro subscription is not possible
Latest: 28 hours ago
Share icon no longer appearing
Latest: 2 days ago
In the new Recent Activity Layout, I can't see how to show the number of times an image has been viewed
Latest: 2 days ago
More...

Search the Help Forum

Replacing photos

JohnMawer says:

I've noticed some of my scanned photos (from the 1980s) are pretty rubbish and would like to replace them with better ones. As far as I can see, the replacement simply drops in leaving the comments, favourites and views all intact. Have I understood it correctly?
(I'm a sad man who values folk looking at his photos!)
Posted at 9:53AM, 22 July 2021 PDT ( permalink )

view photos

albyn.davis says:

JohnMawer:

I have rubbish from six years ago.
That's my experience with replacement. I do it mainly with an improved version of the same photo, so that keeping the rest of it doesn't matter..
For many but not all old photos that are not my taste anymore or did not get much attention, I just delete them and move on.
For me, there's not much sense in keeping bad pictures in my stream.
Posted 3 months ago. ( permalink )

view photos

Viejito says:

I have never edited or replaced on Flickr. I would rather delete and upload a better one.

It should be impossible to replace a photo that people have faved and commented on by another one while leaving the comments in place, which may not apply to the new one, which is also not the one that was faved.

view photos

C-Aida says:

JohnMawer:

Yes, you've understood it correctly. If you replace a photo, you keep all the faves, comments and views.

view photos

splinx1 says:

JohnMawer:

I sometimes replace scanned slides when I have done additional work to remove dust and other blemishes. The most recent photo in my 'stream is a good example of this as some dust remains around the edges of the slide, and at some point, I may (or may not) decide to put in the additional work to remove the remaining dust.

Kaneko

Also, dust can get on the sensor of a digital camera and present itself as a dark blob sometimes hiding in background bokeh. On a few occasions, I have noticed the dark blob after the fact, fixed it, and replaced the image.

Digitally spotting old slides and negatives is extremely tedious work that can go on for days, if not longer, and still I'm not entirely done, but out of gas for the time being.

Additionally, on a few occasions, I have added my mark and replaced an older image that did not have my mark on it. I would like to go back and add my mark to all my photos, but that is a big project on the back burner for the time being.

In all these cases, the photo itself has not changed.

If you have gotten better scanning gear and rescanned the photo, I think it is an artistic decision whether or not to replace the photo, or perhaps post it as a new image while referring back to the original version.

[edited to add photo]

view photos

Richard Harvey UK says:

Viejito:

I agree with this in principle. However, if you happen to notice a very minor defect (such as the horizon slightly tilted) after uploading then does it matter? It would be pretty weird to (say) replace a dog photo with a cat, but I doubt Flickr can or should police that…

view photos

albyn.davis says:

Richard Harvey UK:

Yep. Minor defects for my replacements include tilt as you said, a distracting speck, a little more black and white contrast, trim for better balance, and a tad more color so that it's still the same picture. It just continues the work already done on the photo.

view photos

Stig Nygaard says:

Yes, replacing are leaving comments, favorites and views all intact.
Also the address of your photopage does not change.

However, what DOES change is the addresses of your images (original and display versions). That means if your images are embedded directly from Flickr on a third party site (for example your own homepage somewhere), images will break unless embedded address is updated. For most people that is not important, but for some it might be.

view photos

Coyoty says:

When you replace a photo, you can make a note in the description that it was replaced on that date, so people will know previous comments and faves may not apply to the update.

This thread was closed automatically due to a lack of responses over the last month.

Subscribe to a feed of stuff on this page... Feed – Subscribe to help discussion threads