Help / The Help Forum

This thread was closed automatically due to a lack of responses over the last month.

Hot Topics

[Official Thread] Have an idea for Flickr? Share it here.
Latest: 9 hours ago
New Flickr Notifications Center and Settings available to all members.
Latest: 3 months ago
[Updated April 26, 2021] Flickr is moving payments to Stripe
Latest: 12 months ago
Welcome to the Flickr Help Forum! Click here to get started and to read our Forum Guidelines.
Latest: 18 months ago

Current Discussion

Editor
Latest: 35 minutes ago
Intermittent issue when loading picture and either Albums or Groups is not functioning
Latest: 84 minutes ago
Flickr pro pricing survey
Latest: 2 hours ago
Please, help! I'm not receiving any email notification about activity on my account.
Latest: 2 hours ago
[Acknowledged by Flickr Staff] Recent activity - Can we have it back? Please???
Latest: 4 hours ago
search.
Latest: 5 hours ago
Structural Underreporting in Bell Icon
Latest: 10 hours ago
[Duplicate] Pictures not showing up today?
Latest: 10 hours ago
notifactions going crazy
Latest: 11 hours ago
upload error
Cast your photos from Flickr APP on Android or iPhone to Chromecast/device
Sorting photos in albums - basic
Latest: 13 hours ago
More...

Search the Help Forum

Abandoned Groups

a.cheerful.texas says:

One of the biggest problems with Flickr is the amount of large, uncurated, abandoned groups. I know places like reddit have a process through which an abandoned or unmoderated subreddit can be claimed. Is there any process for something like that with Flickr groups, and if not would it be possible to incorporate something like that?
Posted at 10:16AM, 6 August 2021 PST ( permalink )

view photos

ernstkers says:

a.cheerful.texas:

Is there any process for something like that with Flickr groups

Contact support help.flickr.com/contact
Posted 4 months ago. ( permalink )

view photos

a.cheerful.texas says:

ernstkers:

Do you feel that was a helpful comment to leave?

view photos

Nionyn_ says:

a.cheerful.texas:

Why was it not helpful?
Ernst told you exactly what you need to do in order to take over a dead group, and even gave you the link so that you don't have to find it yourself.

view photos

ernstkers says:

a.cheerful.texas:

Yes, I think it's helpful. To take over a group you need the help of Support to which I linked. If you need more guidance you can ask for it. And the best people to ask for more guidance are the Support to which I linked.
ernstkers edited this topic 4 months ago.

view photos

conall.. says:

a.cheerful.texas:

seemed a good and helpful suggestion to me. Do a search of HF and you will see that this is the route to becoming administrator of old groups that have been abandoned and might be worth resurrecting if the right admin was interested.

view photos

jschumacher says:

a.cheerful.texas:

Assuming you wish to administer the group yourself use the contact form ernstkers linked to tell Flickr what group it is that has been abandoned, whether or not you've tried contacting the admin(s), and that you are willing to admin the group. Flickr will try to contact the admin(s) and if they get no response Flickr may promote you to admin if you agree to their terms (basically that you won't immediately ruin the group).

view photos

Das Boot 160 says:

a.cheerful.texas:

That was the correct answer to give you. That is how I became an admin of an abandoned group, you need to contact support, agree to the rules, then the group is yours to revive, good luck.

view photos

Alan.Rust says:

I wonder if you would complain that everyone ignored your question if they assumed you knew the link ernstkers: gave you ?

view photos

MabelAmber️***Pluto5339***MysteryGuest says:

a.cheerful.texas:

Members who would like to take on admin responsibilities for groups with inactive admins can contact us and we'll gladly walk you through the process. Thanks for asking about this!

(In this staff comment "contact us" is a link...)

view photos

splinx1 says:

jschumacher:

Thanks. It's always good to have an overview of what's involved before beginning the process.

view photos

Mitchel25J (47 million + Views Thank You ) says:

On the line of this question what if you know the person who was the Admin is dead then what do you do then. Because there are a couple of Aviation Groups I would like to get back up and running but the person who started them are 1) In a Nursing Home 2) Have Passed Away

So what do you do in that case?

view photos

jschumacher says:

Mitchel25J (45 million + Views Thank You ):

See my comment above and follow the link that MabelAmber provided two comments above yours, which links to the contact form ernstkers gave in the first answer in this thread.

view photos

mag3737 says:

a.cheerful.texas:

Have you been able to begin the process of resolving your issue?

view photos

Linda DV says:

I have taken over several groups that way. But I'm not sure they're still accepting new admins that way. Recently I wanted to take on another one, and they suggested I start my own group instead of taking over an abandoned one. No explanation given.
I don't want to start another group, I just wanted to revive an existing one.
And there are so many abandoned groups on Flickr.

view photos

david.dale53@yahoo.co.uk says:

I think if I had the power to do, I would list all the grups that no longer have an active administrator. alive or passed away. where any person who is interested in taking over any one of the redundant groups can bid for them.
Ceating a new group that has the same or similar criteria to one of the dormant groups is not the way forward, I could cause confusion and also clutter up the system.

view photos

mag3737 says:

david.dale53@yahoo.co.uk:
Creating new groups not only would have those problems; it has had those problems continually for many years.

However, regarding your suggestion, unfortunately there is no guaranteed reliable way for anyone--even Flickr staff--to find the list of groups that would be applicable.

view photos

david.dale53@yahoo.co.uk says:

mag3737:

Make a suspect list. This could require the group administrator to verify his existence, Give it a certain amount of time, then create the investigator a adminisitrator. Should be problem solved. Or put groups on this lst where group administrator fails to acknowledge their existence after a given amount of time.

view photos

Viejito says:

david.dale53@yahoo.co.uk:

Should be problem solved.
Unless the person volunteering to be the new admin immediately makes such drastic changes to the group as to greatly upset all regulars.

Such would-be admins are just out to create a new group in their image, preloaded with a whole lot of members that they would not be able to attract themselves.

view photos

N808PV says:

Linda DV:

I have taken over several groups that way. But I'm not sure they're still accepting new admins that way. Recently I wanted to take on another one, and they suggested I start my own group instead of taking over an abandoned one. No explanation given.

After 2 years I guess Flickr is able to determine if it is benefitting them if they spend resources on "transferring" admin rights to interested persons. If current admins are Pro members it creates in addition risks to lose a paying member who may have felt annoyed by such activity.

view photos

N808PV says:

Viejito:

Such would-be admins are just out to create a new group in their image, preloaded with a whole lot of members that they would not be able to attract themselves.

If I look at the group of a certain Mega-City in Asia then I see 5,000 nominal members. These days I'd identify less than 10 people as "regulars" and I'd have to make drastic changes to set a new direction for the content and quality of posted images. It's not that difficult to search for images and invite photographers who have abandoned the groups because the lack of appropriate posting rules and administration/curation of content.

view photos

twacar says:

I didn't even realize people could take over abandonned groups!! I remember at one point, it was basically, "part of an abandonned group, you're choices are to leave or leave and start the same group." Good to know that this policy has changed in some way, hopefully this helps, only time will tell I guess.

view photos

Alaskan Dude says:

Late last year I identified about 30 portrait type groups which seemed to have no active Admin/Moderators for at least three years. I posted a question on the discussion boards asking if it was a dead group. If I didn't receive a response I would usually just leave the group. However, this time I contacted Flickr Support. They asked me to identify the groups. I was still in 10 of them. Flickr Support reviewed the groups and then asked me if I wanted to be an Admin. I said yes and before I knew it I inherited these 10 groups.
Alaskan Dude edited this topic 4 months ago.

view photos

decembre says:

Alaskan Dude:

They asked me to identify the groups. I was still in 10 of them. Flickr Support reviewed the groups and then asked me if I wanted to be an Admin. I said yes and before I knew it I inherited these 10 groups.

That's funny:
They can do that, but there are no way to control a pool against Troll admin which broke it .

Many time i / we asked a "super right" for the Pool creator (so he can ban or delete others Admins to clean it)

view photos

Alaskan Dude says:

decembre:

I know. Some of the groups I administer still list the original Admins that haven't been active in 10-15 years.

view photos

Viejito says:

decembre:

there are no way to control a pool against Troll admin which broke it
I do remember a rogue co-admin who started removing discussions and members wholesale. He was removed from the group when the original admin contacted a staff member she knew.

view photos

Linda DV says:

N808PV:

After 2 years I guess Flickr is able to determine if it is benefitting them if they spend resources on "transferring" admin rights to interested persons. If current admins are Pro members it creates in addition risks to lose a paying member who may have felt annoyed by such activity.

The group I'm referring to is a group where the admin really left and requested replacement himself in a message on the frontpage of the group.
Unfortunately nobody volunteered, and when I saw the message it was already too late.
I even suspect the admin might have passed away judging by the message he left. I cannot be sure, but it seemed to me like terminal illness might have been the reason for him to leave.
I tried to contact him by email but no reply.

Well, I tried everything I could, contact the only admin and Flickr help.

I also know of another group with 2 admins, only one active. I contacted that admin about several problems in the group pool and he denied being admin in that group. First I thought I made a mistake and went back to the group member listing, took a screen shot of the admin list and sent it. No answer. So I gave up and left the group.

Sometimes groups are abandoned without being officially abandoned

view photos

Linda DV says:

Flickr staff ???
Your thoughts on the subject.

view photos

Flickr Staff

katie_ko says:

Linda DV:

Shoot us an email with the details if you haven't already-- we're happy to take a look!

help.flickr.com/contact
Posted 3 months ago. ( permalink )

view photos

Linda DV says:

katie_ko:

have done so once more (3rd time lucky maybe)

view photos

Flickr Staff

katie_ko says:

Linda DV:

I see you've made contact with Cástor from our Support Team-- he'll be able to continue assisting!

view photos

Linda DV says:

katie_ko:

it won't be necessary as that admin came back and posted something 2 months ago after being absent for almost a decade.
The message on the group page requesting a new admin is still there, so I mailed him once more.
He can decide if he wants to promote me or not.

view photos

pamelaadam says:

I am in a group which was abandoned and I got a message from Flickr saying as the next longest serving member of the group after the deleted admin I was it

view photos

Traveller_40 says:

I don't know if there is a system do find groups without admin, or groups where only the admin and team can give access to post pictures, but they are gone inactive.

What, was done at another system, if the group goes inactive, it does not show in public search any more, so makes them less visible. Furthermore, members of the group can stay and see the group. The moderator get's notified.

Basically, there is a need for a search algorithm by Flickr, looking for group admins, which have not been online for a given time. If the admin is not online for a given time, sent an email not a Flickr mail, to the admin in charge.

When there is no response, invite 5 .. 10 the group members to become admin If there is no response, close down the group, or mark it a locked and available for a new admin.

What is a reasonable given time frame, I don’t know. 1 Month is to short, 1 year to long

view photos

Marina Garrison says:

Seems to me like there should be a process to "claim" an abandoned group after a period of time. Then an email should be sent to the owner of the group who would have an opportunity to prevent the claim for a period of time (say 60 days). If they do not respond, then the person claiming could be promoted to admin.

Further groups where the owner has not logged into Flickr for a period of time (such as 5 years), could be "put up for adoption". A simple banner on the page for members to click through to claim as the admin. If nobody claims the group after a period of time it could be archived/deleted.

view photos

mag3737 says:

Marina Garrison:

Seems to me like there should be a process to "claim" an abandoned group after a period of time.

There is a process. Check the rest of this thread; you can contact staff.

view photos

pierre-vdm says:

Marina Garrison:

This is where you could ask to take over an abandoned group:
help.flickr.com/contact

view photos

pierre-vdm says:

I took over an abandoned group a few days ago. It went fast thanks to Flickr staff's help.
Now trying to clean it from trash pictures or at least not suitable shots, I had to remove a few members who had thousands of same unsuitable shots to the topic of the group. My problem is even if I ticked the box "also remove the items of the member", I keep on finding them in the group (for example while searching through tags). Besides removing them from the group has no incidence at all on the total number of pictures in the group. Not to talk about members that can't be found with a name search in the Administration part - and are not even invited members - while they have a lot of pictures in the group (and therefore can't be removed)

I just wonder if I am doing something wrong here or if I omitted anything. Hope someone can help. Thanks

view photos

iansand says:

pierre-vdm:

Probably the only thing you are doing wrong is impatience. It takes flickr a while to process all servers. Deep breaths and 24 hours is the best remedy.

view photos

pierre-vdm says:

iansand:

I knew that answer would come.. ;-). Thanks anyway. Yes I might be generally impatient, but truly I removed some of the members 3 or 4 days ago, still their pictures are in the pool.
I remember removing my own pictures from some group formerly, I could see quite immediately a change in the number of pictures in that group.
So, I still wonder...

view photos

Linda DV says:

pierre-vdm:

I know this happens. It also happened to me in groups I took over. Even after 2 weeks some pictures were still there even when I had removed the member and their photos. I guess sometimes it just doesn't work.

As far as the member search goes, it's important you search with their screen name. If you do a search with their real name it will only work if it's the same as their screen name.

view photos

pierre-vdm says:

Linda DV:

Thanks for your words.

view photos

Nionyn_ says:

Linda DV:

I know this happens. It also happened to me in groups I took over. Even after 2 weeks some pictures were still there even when I had removed the member and their photos. I guess sometimes it just doesn't work.

Unfortunately, you are correct.
There are many groups on Flickr where removing a member's photos en masse when removing or banning the member simply does not work.

This has been the case since I joined in 2007 and, despite having been brought to staff's attention innumerable times, it has never been fixed or, as far as I know, even looked at by Flickr's engineers - despite some staff being fully aware of the situation.

This bug is not dependent on the size of the group, the number of members or the number of photos in the group (though those can slow down the function in some very large groups where the feature does in fact work).
I have been admod of a large group (>140,000 members, >700,000 photos) and a very small one (29 members, 66 photos) where this feature has never worked.

Also, in these groups, exactly the same is true of removing a member's photos en masse when removing or banning the member via the 'manage members' admin page or via the ellipsis (three dots) menu on their photos: the member is removed or banned successfully but their photos have to be removed one-by-one from the group.

Some years ago I worked with a few kind fellow Flickr members and also one member of Flickr staff (she was great but unfortunately no longer works for Flickr) to investigate this.
The problem was reported to Flickr engineers but nobody ever heard anything back from them.
I can only suppose that this bug is still where it was on staff's to-do list: at the bottom or, most likely, in the bin.
:(

view photos

Coyoty says:

Nionyn_:

How are you purging them? If I click the three dots on a member's photo, I get the options to remove the member, remove them and their photos, ban them, or ban them with removing all their photos. I dismember them and they disappear along with their photos. It always works for me.

view photos

pierre-vdm says:

Nionyn_:

Interesting argumentation. Now I understand why no flickr staff gave an answer. I suppose that to say: " Sorry, we don't know why but it doesn't work 100%" is like saying our system failed a bit somewhere. There are worst cases to be solved I must confess. The staff is doing a good work most of the time, no blame on them here.
However I managed with the ellipsis (three dots) to remove the 'intruders' and it really seems to work - so far...- I don't meet their pictures anymore. So that I don't bother going to the part 'manage your members' anymore. I find them through tags and them remove the pictures with the cross or the members with the three dots action.
Still, strange that technically a simple 'remove with items' doesn't work

view photos

albyn.davis says:

Nionyn_:

It does not happen often, but if I feel I've been banned from a group arbitrarily, I'll search for my pictures that might be in the group and remove them from that group. I'll do the same with weird rejections.

It's "work," and may seem silly, but it's part of the fun in the flickr playground.

This thread was closed automatically due to a lack of responses over the last month.

Subscribe to a feed of stuff on this page... Feed – Subscribe to help discussion threads