Help / The Help Forum

This thread has been closed by Flickr Staff.

Hot Topics

[Official Thread] Have an idea for Flickr? Share it here.
Latest: 18 hours ago
New Flickr Notifications Center and Settings available to all members.
Latest: 4 weeks ago
[Updated April 26, 2021] Flickr is moving payments to Stripe
Latest: 11 months ago
Welcome to the Flickr Help Forum! Click here to get started and to read our Forum Guidelines.
Latest: 16 months ago

Current Discussion

Notifications: how to read multiple comments?
Latest: 19 minutes ago
[Investigating] No pictures photostrip or else!
Latest: 37 minutes ago
Releasing an alias/URL if the original member seems to no longer be active?
Latest: 50 minutes ago
cannot cancel Pro
Latest: 3 hours ago
iPhone video quality question
Latest: 4 hours ago
What's with searching your own photo's?
Latest: 5 hours ago
Replace a photo - non functional
Latest: 19 hours ago
Change order of photos in an album
Latest: 19 hours ago
Photos not showing up
Latest: 21 hours ago
Getting 1 Year Pro subscription is not possible
Latest: 28 hours ago
Share icon no longer appearing
Latest: 2 days ago
In the new Recent Activity Layout, I can't see how to show the number of times an image has been viewed
Latest: 2 days ago
More...

Search the Help Forum

[Resolved] "Recommended " Photographs in Feed on Iphone App

Thomas Hawk says:

I've noticed for the past few days my iPhone app feed has been inundated with "Recommended" posts. In most cases these are photos with thousands / tens of thousands of favorites on them because they are the same "Recommended" posts that Flickr has been recommending for the past 5 years or so to the entire flickr community (which is how old some of the photos are). The posts say that they are based on my favoriting and viewing activity, but they really are not. They are just random recommendations that Flickr gives to everybody and are in no way personalized or tailored to me.

I've selected "I don't want to see this" several times on the photos but they still keep coming.

I'm hopeful that this is just some sort of temporary glitch or something because I definitely do NOT want to see recommended posts on a regular basis in my feed. To make matters worse, I purposely avoid following people who use ugly/garrish watermarks and signatures on their photos and many of these "recommended posts" are over stylized photos with watermarks and signatures.

Is there any way to turn these off or prevent them from showing up in my feed? I follow thousands of photographers and there is no shortage of photos by the people I am actually choosing to follow and interact with.

twitter.com/thomashawk/status/1421115968076402690/photo/1 here is a sample of one of the posts.
Posted at 12:42PM, 30 July 2021 PDT ( permalink )
katie_ko (staff) edited this topic 2 months ago.

view photos

mag3737 says:

Staff mentioned this one on the status page (0518 PDT today):

status.flickr.net/
Posted 3 months ago. ( permalink )

view photos

Thomas Hawk says:

mag3737:

Ah, ok, good, thanks, hopefully it's temporary.

view photos

Flickr Staff

R L Catlow says:

Thomas Hawk:

Our engineers have identified an issue causing an increase in "recommended" posts to appear in feeds.

We're investigating further, to figure out what's causing this issue.

mag3737:

Thanks for jumping in!

view photos

Jauss says:

Hi,
When it is solved, can you reply to that thread pls ?

view photos

*Hayley Dixon* says:

It’s not resolved as of yet, ugh. It’s like getting spammed constantly. I’m not sure anyone would want that automatically generated on their private feed. Especially paying customers who want to be able to have a little control over something like that. Possibly remove it altogether. If someone wants to see anything on Flickr they only need to do a search.

view photos

:uxui: says:

*Hayley Dixon*:

This has been annoying me all day. None of those recommendations are near the calibre of those I actually follow. Oh, hi Hayley! :D I'm not stalking you I actually just came here out of sheer vexation with 'recommended' spamola.

view photos

Flickr Staff

katie_ko says:

Looks like recommendations are back to normal!

I'll leave this thread open for a bit for lingering reports-- let us know how things are looking on your end.

[edited 8/3/21]
Looks like no new reports-- closing this thread as resolved.
Posted 2 months ago. ( permalink )
katie_ko (staff) edited this topic 2 months ago.

This thread has been closed by Flickr Staff.

Subscribe to a feed of stuff on this page... Feed – Subscribe to help discussion threads