Help / The Help Forum

This thread was closed automatically due to a lack of responses over the last month.

Hot Topics

[Official Thread] Have an idea for Flickr? Share it here.
Latest: 12 hours ago
New Flickr Notifications Center and Settings available to all members.
Latest: 2 months ago
[Updated April 26, 2021] Flickr is moving payments to Stripe
Latest: 12 months ago
Welcome to the Flickr Help Forum! Click here to get started and to read our Forum Guidelines.
Latest: 18 months ago

Current Discussion

[Acknowledged by Flickr Staff] Extremely low views and faves
Latest: 2 hours ago
[Acknowledged by Flickr Staff] Notifications - not showing older than 2hrs
[Acknowledged by Flickr Staff] Recent activity - Can we have it back? Please???
Inaccessible account, intimate family photos are public, I feel helpless
Can't Add Image to Album
Faves
Underscore of pronouns in Flickr Mail
Latest: 4 hours ago
Structural Underreporting in Bell Icon
Latest: 5 hours ago
Flickr Support?
Latest: 7 hours ago
notifactions going crazy
Latest: 9 hours ago
Pictures not showing up today?
Latest: 11 hours ago
upload error
Latest: 12 hours ago
More...

Search the Help Forum

no decline button for group membership invitations

Francis Mansell says:

I've received an invitation today to join a group that I emphatically don't want to join. Which is fine in itself - the group seems reasonably legit as far as it goes but is brand new, they're entitled to invite people to be members. My problem is that it isn't possible to decline that invitation. Not in the group, nor in my notifications either on my computer or in the phone app.

When I receive an invitation to post a specific image to a group, there's a Decline button. But there isn't one when I'm asked to join a group - why not? This seems to me to be a pretty serious oversight. Of course I can ignore the invitation, or, as suggested in earlier (now closed) threads on this subject, join and then leave. I intend to do the former because the latter is a ridiculous workaround that shouldn't be necessary and I don't want to go anywhere near this group even for a moment. But this means that the invitation is just left hanging for ever.

Not only should there be a Decline button for group membership invitations, but clicking that button should automatically opt you out of receiving further invitations from that group - you can always look it up and join if you change your mind. Please sort this out, flickr!
Posted at 4:43AM, 22 August 2021 PST ( permalink )

view photos

Oldt1mer - Keith says:

Just click on the little grey x, top right of the invite. That will get rid of the invite, no need to do anything else.
Posted 3 months ago. ( permalink )

view photos

Francis Mansell says:

Oldt1mer - Keith:

There is no little grey x - and believe me I've looked for it! The way they've done it is, if I look at Notifications on my computer, it says, "You've been invited to join the group [name of group]" with the name of the group being a link to it - I can't actually join it direct from the notification. If I go there, a yellow banner reads, "You have been invited to this group. Click the Join Group button above to get started!". On the phone app, there is a join button in the notification but in neither case is there a Decline button or a little grey x that I can click. The little grey x appears when you have a photo invited to a group.

view photos

Oldt1mer - Keith says:

Francis Mansell:

Ah, sorry, I have no idea then.
Let's hope the guys with more experience of this show up soon for you.

view photos

MabelAmber️***Pluto5339***MysteryGuest says:

Francis Mansell:

Not only should there be a Decline button for group membership invitations, but clicking that button should automatically opt you out of receiving further invitations from that group - you can always look it up and join if you change your mind. Please sort this out, flickr!

I recall you would get the invitation per Flickr mail, with a "No thank you" button. Dunno how long ago that was, some years maybe.
EDIT see my second post, confirming my test, that this has not changed.

Feel free to post your request in this thread where Flickr is looking for ideas/requests:

www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157714720744427/page10/

EDIT - By the way, I also cannot find any kind of button to formally decline, after testing, not under the bell, not under any of the tabs on the RA page, not on the home page (under the Flickr logo), and not on the "Invites for you" page: www.flickr.com/groups_invites.gne
MabelAmber️***Pluto5339***MysteryGuest edited this topic 3 months ago.

view photos

Oh wait, hang on ---

It took the system a few minutes, but now I find that invite in my Flickr mail inbox of my alt. account, in the same way as I wrote in my post above.

Decline button for joining

view photos

ernstkers says:

MabelAmber️***Pluto5339***MysteryGuest:

I recall you would get the invitation per Flickr mail, with a "No thank you" button. Dunno how long ago that was, some years maybe.

That was still in place three weeks ago.

view photos

ernstkers:

That was still in place three weeks ago.

See my reply above your post, plus screenshot, which I added just now for OP's benefit..

view photos

ernstkers says:

See my reply above your post

I saw that when the page returned after clicking the POST NOW three seconds after you did.

view photos

Francis Mansell says:

Many thanks for your help. When I get a message in flickrmail, I'm usually alerted both by an email and by an alert in Notifications. I did receive an email (which I've unfortunately deleted) re this group invitation but the alert in Notifications doesn't include a link to my flickrmail, just one to the group, and there isn't an obvious direct link to my flickrmail anywhere that I can find.

So I checked out what it says about flickrmail in the Help pages. It implies that the only way to access your flickrmail inbox is by clicking on a link from a notification - it says nothing about a link or button from which you can easily access your flickrmail generally. There is a workaround: click the flickrmail icon at the top of someone else's photostream as if to send them a message and then click on the "return to your message list" link at the bottom of the page. And as you rightly point out, there is a message from the group in question, with a No Thanks button. I have now declined the invitation.

But to put it mildly, this raises some questions:
1. Why isn't there a No Thanks button in the original notification?
2. Why is the only No Thanks button for this type of group invitation concealed in a flickrmail message that I didn't receive a link to in Notifications?
3. Why isn't there a link to my flickrmail inbox in this type of group invitation, if that's going to be the only place I can decline it?
4. Why isn't there a link/button to open my flickrmail inbox at the top of my photostream - or anywhere else except by starting to mail someone else?

There's no good reason for making this so complicated - it just seems like someone's forgotten to add certain functionality around flickrmail. When I got into my inbox, there were also some other messages alerting me that certain images of mine had been used as group cover photos. I received notifications of these, but again, no links to my flickrmail inbox. So it seems that the only time I get a link to my flickrmail inbox in Notifications is when someone sends me a personal message.

view photos

Francis Mansell:

and there isn't an obvious direct link to my flickrmail anywhere that I can find.

Francis Mansell:
It implies that the only way to access your flickrmail inbox is by clicking on a link from a notification - it says nothing about a link or button from which you can easily access your flickrmail generally.

When you get Flickr mail a pink icon shows up on the Bell (although it does not specifically say whether the notification is for Flickr mail or something else --

You can access the Flickr mail page in various ways:

1 - Click on your round buddy icon top right, the link is at the top of the drop down menu (and in case of mail it will say so, with the number of mails included - direct link

2 - Click on your (square) buddy icon below any photo, then from the pop up menu click on the link at far left: "Messages" (note: workaround, you end up on "compose message) -

3 - Start typing "Flickr mail" in the search box top right, the link will show up in the drop down menu - direct link

4 - Park this link in a convenient location, ready at hand: www.flickr.com/mail (be aware that it will only work if you are logged in to your Flickr account) - direct link

5 - In the Help Forum you can hover over any buddy icon, click on the gray side bar, a drop down menu appears, click on the "Send Flickr mail" link about half way the list of items (or else lower down) - (Yes, that is indeed a "workaround" because you will get the "Compose message" page and from there use the "Return to your messages" list. The point is however... you're there! However, if you click on your own square buddy icon in the HF you can use the Flickr mail link to get there directly.)

As for your other objections and suggestions for improvement: post in this thread (linked to below), as I already advised in my comment above, to alert staff where they are looking for feedback:

www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157714720744427/

Edited to add "Yes, that is indeed etc."

view photos

Francis Mansell says:

Thanks again. Obviously I hadn't realised the buddy icon did anything - not least because nothing shows when you hover over it.

view photos

Francis Mansell says:

Two things:

1. It's far from obvious how to open your flickrmail inbox unless you receive a notification that someone's PM'd you. I've now been shown that it's accessible from the buddy icon at top right - but this isn't even mentioned under the heading of flickrmail in the Help pages! Adding it to the You menu wouldn't hurt. Otherwise it all seems a bit random.

2. I had a group invitation the other day - for me to join a group, rather than to add one of my images to it. I didn't want to join it but the only place I could decline to join - as opposed to ignoring the invitation - was, a helpful person eventually told me, in a message sent to my flickrmail inbox. But the notification I received - both on the website and the phone app - included neither a No Thanks button, nor a link to the message that appeared in my flickrmail inbox, nor even a hint that there was a message in my flickrmail inbox. Why not? Please make it less complicated to decline such invitations.

view photos

Francis Mansell:

Obviously I hadn't realised the buddy icon did anything - not least because nothing shows when you hover over it.

Something *does* show, namely the little white gloved hand, that means the buddy icon is a clickable link

Francis Mansell:
Why not? Please make it less complicated to decline such invitations.

In case you missed my earlier alerts to the feedback thread:

As for your other objections and suggestions for improvement: post in this thread (linked to below), as I already advised in my comment above, to alert staff where they are looking for feedback:

www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157714720744427/

(The blue line in bold is a *link*)

view photos

Francis Mansell says:

I've raised the remaining issues on the suggestions thread. Instead of posting them here again. Doh.
Francis Mansell edited this topic 3 months ago.

view photos

Viejito says:

Francis Mansell:

Doh.
I suppose the coders assumed that a person who has been on Flickr for a while would have checked their settings or at least, logged out once. When they do that, they notice the link to Flickrmail.

view photos

Linda DV says:

I got an invitation today and there was a NO THANKS button

This thread was closed automatically due to a lack of responses over the last month.

Subscribe to a feed of stuff on this page... Feed – Subscribe to help discussion threads