Help / The Help Forum

This thread has been closed by Flickr Staff.

Hot Topics

[Official Thread] Have an idea for Flickr? Share it here.
Latest: 17 hours ago
New Flickr Notifications Center and Settings available to all members.
Latest: 3 months ago
[Updated April 26, 2021] Flickr is moving payments to Stripe
Latest: 12 months ago
Welcome to the Flickr Help Forum! Click here to get started and to read our Forum Guidelines.
Latest: 18 months ago

Current Discussion

[Acknowledged by Flickr Staff] Recent activity - Can we have it back? Please???
Latest: 5 hours ago
[solved]How can I stop this spam?
Latest: 6 hours ago
Intermittent issue when loading picture and either Albums or Groups is not functioning
Latest: 7 hours ago
Editor
Latest: 8 hours ago
Flickr pro pricing survey
Latest: 10 hours ago
Please, help! I'm not receiving any email notification about activity on my account.
Latest: 10 hours ago
search.
Latest: 12 hours ago
Structural Underreporting in Bell Icon
[Duplicate] Pictures not showing up today?
notifactions going crazy
Latest: 18 hours ago
upload error
Latest: 19 hours ago
Cast your photos from Flickr APP on Android or iPhone to Chromecast/device
Latest: 19 hours ago
More...

Search the Help Forum

New Flickr Notifications Center and Settings available to all members.

Flickr Staff

Leticia Roncero says:

Updates:

9/16/21: Summary of latest reply. If you have further questions or feedback about using the Notifications Center, please write to our Support team. The Recent Activity page will be sunset on December 15, 2021. Our latest reply also lists upcoming improvements that we'll be implementing based on your feedback and additional community feedback that we're taking into consideration.

9/08/21: Acknowledged feedback regarding seeing the total number of faves that a photo has and seeing all of your photos that someone has recently faved (currently notifications is only surfacing 12)

8/17/21: Acknowledged 2 known issues (slow loading and not seeing recent faves)

=======

Today, after months of development, feedback rounds with our members, and hard work, we are continuing our rollout from 25% to 100% of the new Flickr Notifications Center and Notifications Settings pages.

What does this mean?

We’ve expanded the current notifications from the bell icon at the top of Flickr and introduced a new tab for groups you admin. We’ve also introduced a Notifications Center page so you can see your notifications with more screen real estate.

What’s new?

The Notifications Center
The Notifications Center is a rebuilt version of the Recent Activity page designed to surface all of the latest activity related to your Flickr experience. To access the Notifications Center, click on the bell icon in the navigation bar at the top of Flickr, and at the bottom of the dropdown, you’ll see the link that used to read “View Recent Activity” now reads “View all notifications.” When you click that, you’ll be taken to the new Notifications Center, where you’ll be able to access all your notifications, filter your notifications by type (ie.: faves, group invitations, comments on your photos, etc.), and check the latest activity on your photos, groups, and conversations.

Notifications Settings Page
The Notifications Settings page allows you to turn on or mute notifications by type. This page gives you control over your in-site notifications as well as email notifications to decide what you’re notified about, how you’re notified, and even how often. To access the Notifications Settings page, click on the bell icon in the navigation bar at the top of Flickr and you’ll notice a new gear icon that will take you to the Notifications Settings page.

Group Notifications
For groups, we’ve added new notification types to let you know when admins update the group admin blast, as well as group description and rules. Additionally, group admins will now see notifications for the groups they admin as a separate tab so they can easily sort out the priority updates for their groups from personal notifications and from groups they don’t admin. If you’re not interested in receiving group notifications, you can turn them off on your Notifications Settings page. Please note that there’s no option to turn off notifications for all groups at once, so please be intentional about which groups you mute.

New ‘Options’ in your Groups page
As we are rolling out the new Notifications, you’ll also see updates to your Groups list page, where all of your groups are displayed. We’ve changed the name of “Faved Groups” to “Pinned Groups” to avoid conflating with the action of faveing photos/videos. Pinning a group will keep that group at the top of your list, and will ensure you get notified of any new group discussions posted to that group. There’s also a new column called Options, which lets you manage group notifications, show or hide groups from your activity feed, and more. If you desire, you can use the Options column on the Groups list page to mute/unmute each of your groups. To pin a group on your Groups list page, select the Options column three-dot menu next to the desired group and choose “Pin to top of page.” If you want a group pinned to the top of the page, but you don’t want group notifications, you can mute the group from the same menu, or from your Notifications Settings page.

Comment modal in Notifications (how to see all comments made for one of your photos)
When you click on a comment notification from the Notifications Center page, you will get a modal that lets you scroll through all the comments on the photo without leaving the Notifications dropdown or Notifications Center. You can also reply to the comments from that modal. For people who like to go through all their comment threads without context switching, this should be a useful workflow for you now.

You can see a video demo of this in action here.

Archiving (changes to how some notifications are presented)
With these changes, you’ll now see notifications for recent activity on your photos, discussions, and groups, rather than seeing every previous interaction associated with that photo/video/group, etc. Let's take an example:

In the old format, let's say I had uploaded a photo five years ago, and it had 45 faves already. If a couple of folks named Pat and John came along and faved it today, the notification would read, "Pat and John and 45 other people faved your photo." We were showing the count of the entire history of faves on the photo in the notification, even though some of the faves might have been five years old.

In the new format with this hypothetical example, you'll get a notification that says, "Pat and John faved your photo." We're surfacing what has happened recently and seems most relevant.

Likewise, we've changed some of the models for how notifications are presented, with the intent to cut down on the noise when, for example, one person faves a bunch of your photos. In the past, if Pat faved ten of your photos, you would have received ten separate notifications. With the new model, we'll now simply show you a batch notification that says "Pat faved ten photos'' with thumbnails for those ten photos. Here is a visual example.

Changes to the Recent Activity page
If you regularly use Recent Activity, you're going to notice a change to the navigation at the bottom of that page. Because we are archiving old notifications as described above, we're not able to maintain pagination at the bottom of Recent Activity. So where you previously could see page 1, 2, 3, etc., until the last page, you will now use a "next →" button to navigate. We’ve added a "start" button as well so that you don't have to use the back arrow on your browser.
If you notice that items you previously muted are showing up for you with new reactions in Recent Activity, this is due to the way the archiving data is stored. If you want to mute comments on a particular photo/video, for example, you’ll need to do that in the new Notifications to have it work on Recent Activity.

If you still regularly use Recent Activity and haven't explored the new Notifications, now is a good time to try the new system. We have spent the past few months monitoring the performance of this new experience and working to incorporate feedback to make sure that everything that you can view in Recent Activity is available in the Notifications Center or elsewhere on Flickr. We are keeping Recent Activity while everyone gets used to the new notifications center, but our plan is to eventually remove this page and focus on making notifications the go-to experience for keeping up with your activity on Flickr. We'll continue fine-tuning notifications, so if you notice anything that doesn't appear to be working as it should or you're unable to accomplish a specific workflow in notifications that you could in recent activity, please let us know here. We've also included an FAQ in our Help Center.

Answers to some FAQs about the new Notifications Center:

“The new system is missing some notifications. For example, I can’t find [X] notification type.”
We built the new Notifications Center with feature parity in mind, which means you should be able to see all the same types of notifications (and other new ones) that you used to see on the Recent Activity page. If you have lots of new activity that you need to manage, the Notifications Center page lets you filter your notifications by type. For example, show only notifications for comments, or only for group invitations, etc. You can select different filters depending on what you want to see. Click on the “All Notifications” dropdown at the top of the notifications list to apply filters.

“On the Recent Activity page, I was able to see individual replies and comments without having to open the actual photo page.”
You can do this from the new Notifications Center as well! When you click on a comment link from the Notifications Center page, you will get a modal that lets you scroll through ALL the comments for that image. You can also reply to the comments from that modal, without leaving the Notifications Center page.

“I want to see the list of people who faved my photo(s) without having to navigate to the actual photo page.”
Similarly to how we brought the comment modal into the new notifications after feedback that folks wanted to be able to see all the comments on a photo without having to go to the photo page, we are looking at how we can bring the fave modal that is currently on the photo page (e.g. “[person 1], [person 2] and [n more people] faved your photo”) into the Notifications Center and under the bell icon. We’ve wanted to update that modal component to have more functionality, so this is a perfect time to do so. We’ll work on that after we get 100% of the community into the new system.
Posted at 11:40AM, 26 August 2021 PST ( permalink )
cabb88 (staff) edited this topic 3 months ago.

(901 to 1000 of 1320 replies in New Flickr Notifications Center and Settings available to all members.)
view photos

Kernowfile says:

Further comments based on continued use of the new system:-

1) Notification of image acceptance/rejection is good,
2) Notification of group "blasts" is a waste of time.
3) Notification of changes to group rules could be useful, but isn't necessary if rejections are notified.
4) Suggest that different types of group notification can be separately toggled on/off.
5) The different effect of clicking the bell icon - sometimes a drop-down, sometimes a full page - is downright annoying. Lazy programming, please resolve to the dropdown only.
6) Make access to the full page Notifications Center a part of the "You" dropdown menu or, preferably, scrap it in favour of retaining "Recent Activity".
7) If persisting with NC and getting rid of RA, then:-
a) Follow font size and layout of RA page
b) Make NC photocentric by organising all notifications by image.
c) Make sure all information in RA is available in NC.

In essence, use the RA format but with those additional details users generally would like.

Personally, I think you have confused two elements. The bell icon drop down is really just a "prompter" to check deeper, and as such, it works except that currently the total number of faves a photo has received is missing. That needs to be re-instated. The full page NC sometimes opened by the bell icon is again, just a "prompter", it is no substitute for the collated form of RA, which is clearly what most users seek. Yes, you can get that information in other ways - visiting each image page - but at the cost of many clicks and much time. The RA page enabled a quick link between notification, information, images, and prioritising communication between users.

A rethink with greater clarity of how the site is used seems to be in order.
Posted 3 months ago. ( permalink )

view photos

Bill Amidon says:

PeeBee (Baxter Photography):

Right on the money, excellent comment. It can't be said enough - Notifications and Recent Activity are fundamentally different. Some folks would have us quit whining and accept the inevitable. I strongly disagree. Flickr admins should understand that many many people are angry about this, including many who are not yet aware that the plan is to eliminate RA.

view photos

txmx 2 says:

Kernowfile:

In essence, use the RA format but with those additional details users generally would like.

Exactly, to the point!
(Summary:" In essence, use the RA format but with those additional details users generally would like." )
txmx 2 edited this topic 3 months ago.

view photos

Jackie & Dennis says:

We have one contact who comments on a lot of photos at a time - recent activity enabled us to scan those comments, but with the notification page we just got 10 small images, so we could not see the comments, and a lot more clicking was required.

view photos

~Muriel~NO Favs without a comment/Award. says:

PeeBee (Baxter Photography):

Well said!! I agree with you!

view photos

_Tof_Man13 says:

Bonjour.
Je n'aime pas les nouvelles notification car il y a beaucoup trop d'informations qui ne m'intéressent pas comme les modifications des statuts des différents groupes... Du coup on en perd les notifications qui nous concernent directement. L'ancien système était plus efficace. Où alors, donnez nous la possibilité de bloquer globalement les notifications de modification des groupes.

Cordialement

view photos

kurtwolf303 says:

Kernowfile:

Fully agreed !

view photos

Bogger4. says:

Kernowfile:

Totally agree ;-)
RA is not a suitable replacement for NC ? please repair RA back to what is was, ?
On RA before you changed it I only had to click once to read comments on my photos, now on the NC I have to click 3 times to read comments on my photos, and if you want to read all the comment you have to click the photo ? if this is an improvement I don't want it ;-(
Bogger4. edited this topic 3 months ago.

view photos

Carla@ says:

Kernowfile:

Bogger4.:

Well said. Totally agree with you !

view photos

Hot Pink Flamingo! says:

I used to LOVE the Recent Activity feed and used to use it more than anything! I used it ALL the time! it met my needs for activity on my photos, new Flickrmails, etc. Now it no longer works as it used to and things are in the notification Center. This is bad and is NOT an improvement!

view photos

Cumbria Lad n'Lass (DO NOT Fave) says:

I much prefer the original version > It is easier to find your way around

This is too time consuming

view photos

kittymax says:

We have to yield to yet another “roll out” of a fait accompli after months of preparation. Very long threads like this one are typical after each unpopular change. Why, oh why does Flickr have to dream up and make changes without consulting its members? Major changes are sometimes necessary but members should be consulted before hand and have a say in the matter. One of the worst changes ever was the introduction of a black background for both pictures and text (see here). The pictures were a good idea and later adopted but the text in a narrow column next to the photo was a disaster. Imagine settling down to read the latest changes in the stock market on your morning broadsheet only to discover that it’s black with little white letters; the mind boggles not to mention the eyes. The reason for the change was because other sites were doing it but it turned out to be the shortest-lived trend ever. Making major changes and then asking people what they think about them seems to be a rather strange way of going about things especially when everything is tickety-boo! Have people been screaming out about that horrible Recent Activities apart from the fact that going back to the beginning is hardly recent for some people? Well, I guess Flickr will win as always because it regards the silent majority as a green light which means that however long this thread gets it will never be long enough!
kittymax edited this topic 3 months ago.

view photos

johnb/Derbys/UK says:

Just been on Flickr Recent activity so slow,Notifications just sooo slow too,been with Flickr years put up with alot but this change is horrid,with lots and lots of dislikes so its my assumption flickr staff dont give a damn.

view photos

annjane1 says:

I preferred the previous version. Only want to see comments and posts relating to me, not wanting to see comments on photos made after mine

view photos

Pierre Wayser says:

Slow, slow, too many clicks and notifications for admins are useless (we do not delete images checked only as an icon !!!).
Where are the benefits ? And I have now a permanent sticky pink dot in the page…!

view photos

Meino NL says:

It's still terribly slow,

view photos

Meino NL says:

It's still terribly slow,

view photos

phil anker says:

I sometimes wonder if this is a site for photographers, or a site for programmers that are not users or photographers to try things out.

We are now on page 10 of what is predominantly negative comments to this change with many users going into great detail what they find to be wrong. About time for some response from Flickr. I guess they are hoping the negative comments will fizzle out and with that there no longer be any opposition to this.

view photos

stephencurtin says:

Hot Pink Flamingo!:

agree

view photos

stephencurtin says:

Kernowfile:

agree, there is a big difference between app users and desktop users. Their needs are different and how they interact with Flickr is different. As someone who uses a desktop to interact with Flickr most changes appear to favor app users and detract from the browser experience. I really miss the old RA.

view photos

Tim Lumley says:

Leticia Roncero:

Change it back! You've made notifications almost unusable. The group notifications get in the way of what I want to see.

view photos

Rasande Tyskar says:

Why do i think the notification bell is not good?

Because it changes the way of notifications away from the photo to general interaction and random infos. This is a mayor change that isn't good for a photo/artwork based side. As my Flickr stream is around my work, i would like to get the valid information to a specific photo/artwork at once and on one view.

Most people here have a lot of uploads and pictures online and the facebook style bell, makes it very difficult to keep a simple overlook. My suggestion therefore is, to keep Recent Activity as it was and to give the user the choice what they want to be informed of with the bell. It shouldn't be a technical issue to do the programming like that.

On that note, it shouldn't be a problem as well to discuss/inform major changes like that, in the other languages help forums. This discussion here is purely english whereas Flickr is used in at least 62 non english speaking countries of the world. Many users in Germany for example have no clue what's going on here atm.

view photos

I Nair says:

kittymax:

Agree....100%

view photos

bootpainter says:

As with any changes that are imposed on people without their consent, or prior consultation, the latest "upgrade" does not seem to me instantly as an improvement.
However, if needs must, I will just learn to live with what I may not like very much at first. I'm not looking to be controversial, and as an older flickrite I tend to go with the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" p.o.v.
: )
PS How can I stop the Bell icon from lighting up ??, it pisses me off whenever it does that!

view photos

kittymax says:

Since 2006 when I joined Flickr, my browser has been set to always open with two pages: Recent Activities and my email inbox so that at a quick glance I could see what I consider essential in perhaps a very limited amount of time. I’m not surprised to learn that I am far from being the only person doing this. Many people in this thread have said as much; that’s how important it is and I am surprised that Flickr would even consider tinkering with such a sacred page let alone replacing it with something else. Ok, my photo pages are perhaps more important to me but less urgent. I believe that this page has been around since 2004 that’s not a bad track record. I wonder who had the bright idea that it needed to be ditched. Progress is one thing, destruction is another.

view photos

TvKaren50 says:

It's awful, the original worked fine.

Now I don't photos I've replied to, photos that had comments don't show any more, when the activity page opens it should open in a new tab.

IF IT AIN'T BROKE - DON'T FIX IT.

view photos

Flickr Staff

cabb88 says:

Hey, folks. We've asked a few times to please keep the conversation friendly and constructive. We've removed a few comments that strayed from that.

The more you can share about how you would like to see the notifications center improved or tasks that you accomplished on the Recent Activity page that you would like to accomplish with the notifications center, the better we can improve the experience for everyone.

We're currently planning a few improvements to the Notifications Center based on the feedback that you've shared so far and we're investigating reports of notifications loading slowly. We'll follow-up with more details on these planned improvements soon.

view photos

Flickr Staff

cabb88 says:

annjane1:

The "comments on photos you've commented on" setting should help with this! You can toggle it here: www.flickr.com/account/email

Please let us know if you are referring to a different type of notification, though.

view photos

Flickr Staff

cabb88 says:

Morgana Nagorski: After adjusting your notification settings, are you still receiving notifications for other activities? Thanks for letting us know!

view photos

Flickr Staff

cabb88 says:

dan@propeakphotography.com:

Hey, Dan. If you have the notification for comments on your photos turned on and you find you're not receiving the notifications, do you mind writing to us here so that we can take a closer look? We'll share with the larger group once we can troubleshoot what's happening.

You should also be able to adjust which groups you receive notifications for. We know that it can take some time to adjust those settings based on how many groups you're in, but please let us know if these settings help you get back to the activity that matters most to you.

view photos

sensuallightstudios says:

RE: Picture accept/reject - Do group admins have the choice to send a notification?

SLS

view photos

Environude says:

There really needs to be a way of easily turning off/on ALL Group notifications! That way it would be much easier to select the ones we do and don't want notifications from, or maybe we don't want group notifications at all. The choice would be good.

Needless to say, as per usual, these kinds of settings need to be available in app (Mobile)

view photos

Flickr Staff

cabb88 says:

sensuallightstudios:

Currently there's not a choice, no.

view photos

FrensicPic says:

Please restore/keep "Recent Activity"; at least give us a choice.
Right now with "in the last seven days" it is showing me several entries 6 to 12 months old!

view photos

Ken Whittle says:

All I get is a blank page so as for it's usefulness it rates zero.
It wasn't broke but it is now

view photos

Flickr Staff

cabb88 says:

Ken Whittle:

Hey, Ken. Which page are you referring to?

view photos

Bruce Adler says:

I just don't see the necessity for the change.
I particular, I really don't care that an administrator has approved or rejected a submission of mine..

view photos

JamesWired says:

The bottom line is that the new notification centre will mean I interact much less with other people on Flickr. While some interactions are all plied into the one notification, I get many more different kinds of notifications that I'm not interested in at all. It all involves a lot more searching and link following. I simply will be looking at it a lot less. Another nail in Flickr's coffin.

view photos

sdttds says:

Well, I got my email that Notifications is rolled out.

Why bother asking for feedback if majority-negative feedback is ignored. Kind of feels like a paper shredder labelled "suggestion box."

view photos

stephencurtin says:

cabb88 at some point will staff respond to the feedback about the "Recent Activity" tab issues. Most of it has been on point and asking if the concerns will be addressed. So far, those concerns have not been addressed by staff.

view photos

nebulous 1 says:

Stats are on the Recent Activity page. How do we get to them if and when the Recent Activity page disappears?

view photos

Jasperdo says:

On the Recent Activity page, when I reply to a comment someone made on my photo, that reply shows up on the Recent Activity page. It's very easy to keep up with who I've replied to and who I haven't yet. On the Notifications page that doesn't show. It shows that so and so commented on my photo, but there is no mention that I replied back. This is a serious downgrade. I try and reply to everyone who comments on my photos, but sometimes I don't have time to do them all at once when I see them. I'll hold some over for later when I have more time. With the new Notifications page that's impossible to do at a glance. I have to either go to the photo page or click on the comment link to check. Very annoying!

view photos

naturalturn says:

Regardless of the user interface changes, now both the Recent Activity feed and the Notifications are buggy — they don't show the notifications that I requested.

They both show notifications from the last few hours on the first page, but if I click on "Load More" or "Next", they then both proceed show notifications starting from a day or more ago. The activity interval between them is lost, and I have no way of getting all of the notifications in between.

view photos

Kanga-Lorraine says:

It's slow, it's rubbish and I hate it, how many people who changed this are photographers and use a desktop, not a phone?

Almost over flickr, having been a paying member for 11 years.

view photos

DrLensCap says:

The notifications are just that, they notify me when someone posted something on one of my photos. They are not a replacement for recent activity. Recent activity shows me everything going on with my active photos. The two are not the same. Replacing Recent Activity with notifications is useless for me. I need to see the actual traffic on my photos, not multiple notifications about the same photo. This needs to be changed. I am pro member since 2008. I am currently reevaluating whether or not it is time to say goodbye to Flickr. It has been a fun time, but the changes made have made Flickr virtually useless for me.

I remember not to long ago that you were begging people to become pro members because Flickr was losing money. I guess you forgot that you need pro members to be profitable.

I am very disturbed that there has been zero communication from Flickr about the feedback concerning the changes & eventual removal of Recent Activity. It seems that you really don't care what your paying members are saying. Not the best way to stay in business.
DrLensCap edited this topic 3 months ago.

view photos

the foreign photographer - ฝรั่งถ่ says:

DrLensCap:

'The notifications are are just that, they notify me when someone posted something on one of my photos. They are not a replacement for recent activity. Recent activity shows me everything going on with my active photos. The two are not the same. Replacing Recent Activity with notifications is useless for me. I need to see the actual traffic on my photos, not multiple notifications about the same photo. '

These are my thoughts about this too.

view photos

Clement Tang * says:

the foreign photographer - ฝรั่งถ่:

Very true !!

view photos

Clement Tang * says:

Leticia Roncero:

For Group Invitations:

How do we get rid of those old notifications we already rejected or accepted? They still occupy the one and only page. I am sure there should be more.

view photos

kittymax says:

This is a help forum. It would seem that Flickr are only interested in those comments they like since their minds are already made up. Could flickr at least tell us all truthfully why it all had to happen? Was there a sudden major problem with RA as it was and always had been? Or was it just a whim? If Flickr is so intent in making changes to the bell, so be. I never use it and never will and I suspect from what I’ve heard very few people do and ever will. It would seem that Flickr is trying to merge two quite different things with obviously little success. And all for what?

view photos

kittymax says:

In a nutshell; all for what????

view photos

~~Chuck's~~Photos~~ says:

Please keep recent activity.

view photos

FreedaBees says:

Are you kidding - you think this an improvement?

Apparently down through the years, no one has ever commented on any of my photos, which is odd, because I thought under the old system one or two had. The notifications screen is just a blinding white blank.

I understand getting any tech firm to recognise and own mistakes is near impossible, so no point in asking you to change it back.

Change, for change's sake never goes well, and that is what I think was done here.

view photos

amazingstoker says:

bootpainter:

PS How can I stop the Bell icon from lighting up ??, it pisses me off whenever it does that!

Yes me too, so I AdBlocked it.

view photos

kittymax says:

That’s naughty!

view photos

Refuge Photography says:

Allow me to turn off all these group notifications at once! Ffs I don't want to scroll through 700 things and shut them off one by one

view photos

simonov says:

Jasperdo:

The recent activity that I see in my notifications is pretty random. I'm sure it's a bug that will get sorted eventually.

view photos

Flickr Staff

cabb88 says:

nebulous 1:

Stats are available from the You menu and there are some stats visible on the right-side of your feed (when you navigate to flickr.com, that is).

view photos

txmx 2 says:

Why ask for feedback if you don't listen or care..
That's so hypocritical.

(But it was obvious from the start)

Not my will, but thy Will be done!

view photos

ChristianofDenmark says:

Change it back - please ...

view photos

Barbara * busy bee says:

Absolutely awful. Please change it back to what it used to be!!!

Why change something that worked so well???

view photos

CatClick16 says:

Don't like it. I don't need/want to know when groups have updated admin blasts. You lose the information that you do want to see - comments/favs on my photos. Can you change back to the old one? I only want to see notifications relating to my photos and the recent activity from people I follow.

view photos

kittymax says:

I have just seen the new notifications; they are certainly better than the last time I saw them but, of caurse, they don't replace RA. So, since RA is still around what are the arguments against keeping RA as it is? We had both before, why not now?

view photos

kittymax says:

How can I delete a comment or two?   (ツ)

view photos

kittymax says:

I forgot to mention that by keeping RA as it is everyone will live happily ever after! It is tempting, isn't it?

view photos

overthemoon says:

Several days into this new feature and I'm still finding the presentation very ugly, showing codes and dots, and it's pretty useless as I still go into the drop-down menu for "recent activity" which is much neater and has easy links to things like stats and "replies on your comments"-

I would never, ever use the options that come up under the three dots such as "mute this comment" - why would I want to do that?

Something else I have just noticed: it used to be easy to mute comments on other people's photos, something I did when there were dozens of cut and paste logos. Just a click and they were gone. Now, I don't seem to have that option.
overthemoon edited this topic 3 months ago.

view photos

blauepics says:

I have worked now a week with the Notification system. It focused not on photos but on people's reaction. I preferred the focus on photos as this is a site for photos. It is possible to work with it but feels much slower and since I cannot silence items as I did in RA, the overview is less good and it costs me more time. To make it short: RA is the more effective tool to work with when you have a lot of photos on Flickr.

I hope you allow RA to remain and allow in RA again to turn elements silent for a better overview.

view photos

my.travels says:

I have a couple of suggestions:

1. Please do not try to be Instagram, Facebook, etc. They are for different purposes. Flickr is for photographers.

2. If I were Flickr, I would introduce this New Notifications as beta version and I would keep Recent Activity in original form and while running both I would count to measure which is more visited. In the mean time, I would also tweak Notifications. At the end, I would continue with the one which is more visited, RA or Notifications.

Why don't you do this?

view photos

kennethbarker59240 says:

In common with others:
I asked the old system for a list of activity in the last 7 days - received a message hmmm there wasn't any.

I asked the new system and all my recent activity was there.

I was on holiday when the change took place and couldn't update my records

view photos

Antonio Vaccarini says:

Today I received an e-mail from Flickr.
In addition to praising themselves for the wonderful new "Notifications"
it says:

…… Our goal is to bring Flickr’s notifications in line with what new community members would expect of a website while still looking out for our most loyal Flickr contributors. For members who’ve been with us for a long time, we’re bringing feature parity from the much-loved Recent Activity page and even updated the data structure to be more efficient and relevant. For those who regularly use Recent Activity, we’ve added a number of educational tips that should help familiarize you with the new features.
Once everyone has been onboarded to the new notifications experience and has had some time to adjust to it, we plan to remove the Recent Activity page and focus on making the new Notifications Center the go-to for keeping up with your activity on Flickr……..

This shows how interested they are in our 10 pages of protests.
Antonio Vaccarini edited this topic 3 months ago.

view photos

sdttds says:

my.travels:

Exactly!

view photos

HW111 says:

It takes some getting used to, but I think I've figured it out now, and change is good! Great work, Flickr team! 👏🏻

view photos

[@]Jendrix56 says:

Despues de usarlo durante algunos dias , me parece muy acertada la nueva actualizacion de esta busqueda

view photos

henrylyne says:

I would like to be able to just "Like" photos, without adding them to my faves. I think it would help build my community on Flickr

view photos

Will S. says:

I hate this; I want back the old 'activity' setting.

view photos

qrp ham guy says:

Please put it back the way it was. At least make it user selectable between the two,Please.

view photos

Flickr Staff

cabb88 says:

overthemoon:

Hello! We're wondering if the "comments on photos you've commented on" notification setting might help with this? If you've already tried that or you're referring to a different type of interaction, please let us know!

view photos

Jane Statham says:

cabb88:

It probably would do, other than if you were having a conversation with someone and actually wanted to see comments on a photo you'd already commented on. It's the main reason why I have opted not to turn that one off.

view photos

katrin glaesmann says:

Hi, it's great that you brought back the possibility to mute single pictures.
I'd still prefer to see everything sorted for pictures and not for activities.

In my opinion it's ridiculous to have activities sorted that the same picture shows up in the feed multiple times.

Also it would be great to be able to read the newest comments to a photo without clicking an extra button (but at least it's possible without opening the photo page).

So, yes, the changes you did after all these comments flooding in definitely made things better but it still looks overcrowded. Would be great if this would be at least an opting (grouping for pictures and not for time).

view photos

katrin glaesmann says:

Jane Statham:

It works if people answer to your comment by clicking on your name (like it's in this answer) (I hope I could explain what I'm talking about.)

view photos

Flickr Staff

cabb88 says:

Jane Statham:

Hey, Jane! If you have the notification for "mentions" turned on, you should still receive a notification if someone mentions you in a comment - even if you have the "comments on photos you've commented on" setting turned off. Please let us know if this doesn't seem to be working as you'd expect it to.

view photos

Tom van der Heijden says:

I didn't have the time yet to thoroughly check this new Notification-system, but I do already have a few suggestions for improvement:
1. Add the ability to turn on/off all group notifications at once. As far as I can tell today this can only be done group by group. If you're a member of a couple of thousand groups it'll take a while ;-).
2. Add a link to the Notification page in the "You"-menu
3. Add a link to the Notification page in the menu bar underneath the cover picture (where you have About, Photostream, Albums, Faves etc.).

view photos

roll the dice says:

why do they keep spoiling things?..notifications now opens a whole new page...why??...and you cannot mute when somebody follows you...this is madnessssssssss

view photos

Jane Statham says:

cabb88:

I'll have another look and see if I can get that to work, but not until the morning.
Will let you know the results, when I see them.

Thanks for the help.

view photos

Flickr Staff

katie_ko says:

FreedaBees:

The notifications screen is just a blinding white blank.

Sending over an email to get a bit more detail about what you’re experiencing so we can troubleshoot!

roll the dice:
..and you cannot mute when somebody follows you

You can mute these by toggling off the "followers" notification in your account settings. While you cannot mute the notification itself through the bell drop down (since it's a one time action), updating this setting in your global settings will prevent notifications like this in the future.

view photos

Flickr Staff

cabb88 says:

CatClick16:

After adjusting the notification settings for groups that you're part of, are you seeing more of the notifications for activity pertaining to faves and comments?

view photos

matt duke - thanks for 125M+ views! says:

cabb88:

Hi - I hope this doesn't come off as snarky b/c this is a serious question:

Is flickr staff paying any attention to the user feedback here on the clear preference for the RA page? Based on my review of the whole thread, there is an overwhelming preference for the old RA over notifications.
And it's not a question of learning how to use notifications or just getting used to it. I gave notifications a pretty thorough test drive. It simply does not have the same functionality as RA which many of us consider essential (total faves and activity grouped by image are just two examples).

As I'm sure your team is aware, RA is now broken with "Next" pages just repeating the same notifications in a random order. I saw in thread that flickr will not be fixing these bugs. And a clear majority of long-time flickr users agree that Notifications is not meeting our needs.

I have read all the explanations and justifications for the new format but they don't address the underlying problem that notifications does not offer the same information and ease of use of RA. While notifications does have some nice new features, on balance is not an improvement over RA.

Please help me understand if anything will be done to address these concerns? Thank you.

view photos

Jan 130 says:

matt duke - thanks for 100M+ views!:

Utterly agree with you. RA is far, far better. As an Admin of some step-up groups, I'm now told I've made many Admin Blasts - whatever they are. Well, I've removed myself from many groups because of Admin Blasts. It's totally incomprehensible. No, I will NOT get used to it. It's a recipe for people leaving Flickr and our highly regarded groups. Flickr... please, please........ don't do this to us. 'Life' is difficult enough as it is. I've been a Pro member for 13 years. I love Flickr - well, I thought I did. I don't even know how I make Admin Blasts !

view photos

Jan 130 says:

I want to see Recent Activity the way it was. That's all. Haven't the time to mess about !

view photos

Tony / Guy@Fawkes says:

Jan 130:

I totally agree with you !

view photos

Tony / Guy@Fawkes says:

cabb88:

Please note the above !

view photos

Jay Packer says:

The update is hot garbage. The biggest problem I see is that when you have lots of favorits or comments, they are not grouped together in one row per item. So as you look down the list of notifications, every row of notifications are about the same one or two pictures. Thus, it's now harder to find a notification about a picture because it quickly slips further down the notifications.

view photos

overthemoon says:

cabb88:

that isn't what I mean.
When I go to "replies to your comments", in the place where there used to be "mute this photo" there is now "leave a comment".
In the new notifications in the bell, I can mute a comment, but not mute a photo

view photos

Flickr Staff

cabb88 says:

matt duke - thanks for 100M+ views!:

Our current plan is to remove the Recent Activity page and focus on the notifications center and settings as the place for staying informed of activity around your photos, discussions, and groups. For that reason, we won’t be focusing efforts on the Recent Activity page.

We do, however, want to hear from folks about what they were able to accomplish using the Recent Activity page that they are unable to accomplish using the new notifications center. The whole team reads and discusses the feedback shared in this thread and they’re currently working on finalizing some more improvements that will be made based on everyone’s feedback. We're aware of the feedback regarding seeing the total number of faves that a photo has and seeing all of your photos that someone has recently faved (currently notifications is only surfacing 12). We'll share here as soon as the planned improvements are finalized.

In an earlier response, we also mentioned that we focused on building an entirely new system because Recent Activity is built on an old model for notifications that isn’t common on the internet anymore and thus a big hurdle for new members joining Flickr. For this reason, notifications groups together activity by just that - the activity that’s happening, rather than the photo.

We know that it’s a new experience and we appreciate you giving it a try and asking questions. We also know that there's an important balance to strike when it comes to helping new members get up to speed on notifications and helping our existing members stay tuned in to the activity that matters to them. I hope this answers your questions (and those that have been raised by others) and invites everyone to share how we can improve notifications to keep them in the loop with the activity that they care about on Flickr.

view photos

Flickr Staff

cabb88 says:

Jan 130:

Hi, Jan. Updating a group blast does send a notification to members of the group. We added this to help group members stay in the know about the goings on of groups that they're part of. We hope that group admins will use this tool responsibly, but if for any reason you or other group members don't want to receive these notifications, you can turn off the notifications for the group in your settings.

view photos

Flickr Staff

cabb88 says:

overthemoon:

Got it. Thanks for clarifying. Have you tried the following?

- Locate the photo in question in your notifications
- Click the three dot menu and click "Mute this notification"

This should mute all subsequent comments on the photo. Again, if this is not what you're looking to achieve, let me know and we'll keep working on it.

view photos

louise.woodstock says:

I too, want the RA as it use to be, it worked perfectly. It's turned into a complete mess right now, and the Notifications is absolute garbage.

view photos

overthemoon says:

cabb88:

thank you, I have just worked this out and came to edit my last post.
So "mute this notification" actually means " mute this photo". That is fine.

However, I don't know if I want to mute the photo unless I can see if there is a string of boring logo-type comments - and to do that I have to look at the photo and then come back again to the notifications to mute it. It was so much simpler before.

view photos

Jan 130 says:

cabb88:

I don't know what an Admin Blast is. That's my point. I haven't changed the rules, or the description, or ANYTHING on our groups. Please clarify EXACTLY what an Admin Blast is !!!

view photos

Manolis Kalyvianakis says:

Sucks!!! Revert to previous version. I can't see recent activity on my photos. It doesn't even load somtimes... Come on guys...
Manolis Kalyvianakis edited this topic 3 months ago.

view photos

mudder_bbc says:

As with most of your more recent "innovations" I vastly prefer the previous notifications format & request that we have a choice! I don't like my notifications from one person being grouped, particularly with a tiny thumbnail so I can hardly even tell which photo is being commented on. It is very disturbing to me that management seems to totally disregard the needs & wishes of your long-term clients!

This thread has been closed by Flickr Staff.

(901 to 1000 of 1320 replies in New Flickr Notifications Center and Settings available to all members.)
Subscribe to a feed of stuff on this page... Feed – Subscribe to help discussion threads