Help / The Help Forum

This thread has been closed by Flickr Staff.

Hot Topics

[Official Thread] Have an idea for Flickr? Share it here.
Latest: 3 hours ago
New Flickr Notifications Center and Settings available to all members.
Latest: 3 months ago
[Updated April 26, 2021] Flickr is moving payments to Stripe
Latest: 12 months ago
Welcome to the Flickr Help Forum! Click here to get started and to read our Forum Guidelines.
Latest: 18 months ago

Current Discussion

[Acknowledged by Flickr Staff] Structural Underreporting in Bell Icon
Latest: 52 seconds ago
Cast your photos from Flickr APP on Android or iPhone to Chromecast/device
Latest: 54 minutes ago
[Acknowledged by Flickr Staff] Recent Activity & Notifications - Very slow loading!
Latest: 67 minutes ago
Spam e -mails from Flickr
Latest: 5 hours ago
Photo,s not showing Problem
Latest: 7 hours ago
How to Block an Admin of Pool which troll it since many yeras
Latest: 8 hours ago
[Monitoring Fix] View counter fixed
Latest: 8 hours ago
[Staff Response] Recent activity - Can we have it back? Please???
Latest: 9 hours ago
pending queue problem
Latest: 10 hours ago
Layout of Photostream
Latest: 11 hours ago
Is there a way to delete myself from all my groups at once?
iOS app fails to scroll/display 2nd ‘page’ of faves
More...

Search the Help Forum

New Flickr Notifications Center and Settings available to all members.

Flickr Staff

Leticia Roncero says:

Updates:

9/16/21: Summary of latest reply. If you have further questions or feedback about using the Notifications Center, please write to our Support team. The Recent Activity page will be sunset on December 15, 2021. Our latest reply also lists upcoming improvements that we'll be implementing based on your feedback and additional community feedback that we're taking into consideration.

9/08/21: Acknowledged feedback regarding seeing the total number of faves that a photo has and seeing all of your photos that someone has recently faved (currently notifications is only surfacing 12)

8/17/21: Acknowledged 2 known issues (slow loading and not seeing recent faves)

=======

Today, after months of development, feedback rounds with our members, and hard work, we are continuing our rollout from 25% to 100% of the new Flickr Notifications Center and Notifications Settings pages.

What does this mean?

We’ve expanded the current notifications from the bell icon at the top of Flickr and introduced a new tab for groups you admin. We’ve also introduced a Notifications Center page so you can see your notifications with more screen real estate.

What’s new?

The Notifications Center
The Notifications Center is a rebuilt version of the Recent Activity page designed to surface all of the latest activity related to your Flickr experience. To access the Notifications Center, click on the bell icon in the navigation bar at the top of Flickr, and at the bottom of the dropdown, you’ll see the link that used to read “View Recent Activity” now reads “View all notifications.” When you click that, you’ll be taken to the new Notifications Center, where you’ll be able to access all your notifications, filter your notifications by type (ie.: faves, group invitations, comments on your photos, etc.), and check the latest activity on your photos, groups, and conversations.

Notifications Settings Page
The Notifications Settings page allows you to turn on or mute notifications by type. This page gives you control over your in-site notifications as well as email notifications to decide what you’re notified about, how you’re notified, and even how often. To access the Notifications Settings page, click on the bell icon in the navigation bar at the top of Flickr and you’ll notice a new gear icon that will take you to the Notifications Settings page.

Group Notifications
For groups, we’ve added new notification types to let you know when admins update the group admin blast, as well as group description and rules. Additionally, group admins will now see notifications for the groups they admin as a separate tab so they can easily sort out the priority updates for their groups from personal notifications and from groups they don’t admin. If you’re not interested in receiving group notifications, you can turn them off on your Notifications Settings page. Please note that there’s no option to turn off notifications for all groups at once, so please be intentional about which groups you mute.

New ‘Options’ in your Groups page
As we are rolling out the new Notifications, you’ll also see updates to your Groups list page, where all of your groups are displayed. We’ve changed the name of “Faved Groups” to “Pinned Groups” to avoid conflating with the action of faveing photos/videos. Pinning a group will keep that group at the top of your list, and will ensure you get notified of any new group discussions posted to that group. There’s also a new column called Options, which lets you manage group notifications, show or hide groups from your activity feed, and more. If you desire, you can use the Options column on the Groups list page to mute/unmute each of your groups. To pin a group on your Groups list page, select the Options column three-dot menu next to the desired group and choose “Pin to top of page.” If you want a group pinned to the top of the page, but you don’t want group notifications, you can mute the group from the same menu, or from your Notifications Settings page.

Comment modal in Notifications (how to see all comments made for one of your photos)
When you click on a comment notification from the Notifications Center page, you will get a modal that lets you scroll through all the comments on the photo without leaving the Notifications dropdown or Notifications Center. You can also reply to the comments from that modal. For people who like to go through all their comment threads without context switching, this should be a useful workflow for you now.

You can see a video demo of this in action here.

Archiving (changes to how some notifications are presented)
With these changes, you’ll now see notifications for recent activity on your photos, discussions, and groups, rather than seeing every previous interaction associated with that photo/video/group, etc. Let's take an example:

In the old format, let's say I had uploaded a photo five years ago, and it had 45 faves already. If a couple of folks named Pat and John came along and faved it today, the notification would read, "Pat and John and 45 other people faved your photo." We were showing the count of the entire history of faves on the photo in the notification, even though some of the faves might have been five years old.

In the new format with this hypothetical example, you'll get a notification that says, "Pat and John faved your photo." We're surfacing what has happened recently and seems most relevant.

Likewise, we've changed some of the models for how notifications are presented, with the intent to cut down on the noise when, for example, one person faves a bunch of your photos. In the past, if Pat faved ten of your photos, you would have received ten separate notifications. With the new model, we'll now simply show you a batch notification that says "Pat faved ten photos'' with thumbnails for those ten photos. Here is a visual example.

Changes to the Recent Activity page
If you regularly use Recent Activity, you're going to notice a change to the navigation at the bottom of that page. Because we are archiving old notifications as described above, we're not able to maintain pagination at the bottom of Recent Activity. So where you previously could see page 1, 2, 3, etc., until the last page, you will now use a "next →" button to navigate. We’ve added a "start" button as well so that you don't have to use the back arrow on your browser.
If you notice that items you previously muted are showing up for you with new reactions in Recent Activity, this is due to the way the archiving data is stored. If you want to mute comments on a particular photo/video, for example, you’ll need to do that in the new Notifications to have it work on Recent Activity.

If you still regularly use Recent Activity and haven't explored the new Notifications, now is a good time to try the new system. We have spent the past few months monitoring the performance of this new experience and working to incorporate feedback to make sure that everything that you can view in Recent Activity is available in the Notifications Center or elsewhere on Flickr. We are keeping Recent Activity while everyone gets used to the new notifications center, but our plan is to eventually remove this page and focus on making notifications the go-to experience for keeping up with your activity on Flickr. We'll continue fine-tuning notifications, so if you notice anything that doesn't appear to be working as it should or you're unable to accomplish a specific workflow in notifications that you could in recent activity, please let us know here. We've also included an FAQ in our Help Center.

Answers to some FAQs about the new Notifications Center:

“The new system is missing some notifications. For example, I can’t find [X] notification type.”
We built the new Notifications Center with feature parity in mind, which means you should be able to see all the same types of notifications (and other new ones) that you used to see on the Recent Activity page. If you have lots of new activity that you need to manage, the Notifications Center page lets you filter your notifications by type. For example, show only notifications for comments, or only for group invitations, etc. You can select different filters depending on what you want to see. Click on the “All Notifications” dropdown at the top of the notifications list to apply filters.

“On the Recent Activity page, I was able to see individual replies and comments without having to open the actual photo page.”
You can do this from the new Notifications Center as well! When you click on a comment link from the Notifications Center page, you will get a modal that lets you scroll through ALL the comments for that image. You can also reply to the comments from that modal, without leaving the Notifications Center page.

“I want to see the list of people who faved my photo(s) without having to navigate to the actual photo page.”
Similarly to how we brought the comment modal into the new notifications after feedback that folks wanted to be able to see all the comments on a photo without having to go to the photo page, we are looking at how we can bring the fave modal that is currently on the photo page (e.g. “[person 1], [person 2] and [n more people] faved your photo”) into the Notifications Center and under the bell icon. We’ve wanted to update that modal component to have more functionality, so this is a perfect time to do so. We’ll work on that after we get 100% of the community into the new system.
Posted at 11:40AM, 26 August 2021 PST ( permalink )
cabb88 (staff) edited this topic 3 months ago.

(1001 to 1100 of 1320 replies in New Flickr Notifications Center and Settings available to all members.)
view photos

Flickr Staff

cabb88 says:

overthemoon:

Glad we figured out the muting part. If you don't want to leave the notifications bell menu or notifications center, try this:

- Click the hyperlinked comment text in the notification
- This should open a pop-up that lists all of the photos comments
- You can reply from this pop-up or close it out if you want to move on or mute the photo

Hope this is helpful!
Posted 3 months ago. ( permalink )

view photos

Flickr Staff

cabb88 says:

Jan 130:

The group blast is the text at the very top of the group that can be edited by clicking the pencil icon all the way on the right. Here's a screenshot that contains the group blast text for a test group of mine:

Group blast text

view photos

Donkey Hot-tea says:

cabb88:

"Our current plan is to remove the Recent Activity page and focus on the notifications center and settings as the place for staying informed of activity around your photos, discussions, and groups. For that reason, we won’t be focusing efforts on the Recent Activity page"

You just don't get it, do you?

The vast majority of your paying customers JUST DON'T WANT your new Notifications.

What they DO WANT is Recent Activity AS IT WAS !!!!!

view photos

Kernowfile says:

cabb88:

Yes, I understand what you are saying about muting group notifications, but that "mute" presumably turns off all of that group's notifications. I definitely want to know about rejections, in particular, and acceptances of photos. Some others, I don't.

The types of group notifications need to be separated so that they can be toggled separately. It would be nice to know that this was in your planning.
Kernowfile edited this topic 3 months ago.

view photos

Rodolfo Quinio says:

This certainly will lead to less interaction & less traffic. You can figure out the statistics. If Flickr has less interaction and less traffic now, then there is something wrong with your 'new improvements'.
The former Recent Activities on my photos shows at least 10 people who have faved my photos with the times they reacted to my photos. I can interact with all those people easily & systematically. Notifications now has the tendency to be so messy as those who reacted on the same photo is all over the place, if at all the faves / comments are notified. Sometimes, they are just part of 'others'. We don't want to go over to the photo & figure out who we missed out with the faves. There is a greater chance to miss out someone.
The more complicated it gets, people tend to miss many interactions. Less interaction means less traffic.
Please bear in mind, many here are photographers not computer geeks. We use desktop computers or notebooks to say the least, as we post process our images on various software such as Photoshop, DxO, etc. You use IT people who are not photographers & have no idea what we do and how we want things done.
Revert back now before it's too late and irreversible. If you insist on your 'improvements', this is the beginning of the demise of Flickr.

view photos

Clement Tang * says:

Leticia Roncero:

You replied to many others, but have not answered mine from 17 hours ago:-

For Group Invitations:

How do we get rid of those old notifications we already rejected or accepted? They still occupy the one and only page. I am sure there should be more.

view photos

Los Paseos says:

Since the notification system has been modernized, I think it should be easy to provide an option to sort activity by notification (new system) or by photo (old "recent activity" system) as it is the same data, just different views into it.

I think the pushback the new system is receiving is because it feels like the focus of the new notification system is not necessarily about improving the user experience but rather about improving user engagement with flickr itself. That is to say, the new system is designed to drive platform engagement similar to instagram or facebook by co-opting user attention while the recent activity screen/old system was more of a user oriented tool that allowed photographers to clearly see how their individual photos were received.

view photos

Яick Harris says:

Los Paseos:

I'd say the pushback is from people who frequent groups encouraging commenting and favouriting. Which doesn't amount to engagement at all.

Hopefully this change will lead to richer interactions between members and less about driving up views, appearing on explore or gaining a "following"

view photos

simonov says:

I just worked out the problems I was having with the new Notifications Center were down to my configuration (settings). I fixed that and now it's working fine for me.

view photos

Super-Cam says:

I really don't like the new notifications system at all. Even though I've turned off the group notifications, I am now inundated with "So and so has updated the admin blast for so and so". I don't care! But now I am stuck with this Facebookesque drivel in my previously clean feed.

Plus the 'Manage Groups' button - whatever that is - doesn't work. I just get a loading animation icon.

Please roll back this awful upgrade.

view photos

gregt99 says:

Group invitation can only show 1 group quick accept. More than 1 group invitation need to click into photo page to accept. It pretty annoying due to there is many photos invitation and it just takes too much time back and forth doing the process.

view photos

Bill Amidon says:

cabb88:

You said:
"In an earlier response, we also mentioned that we focused on building an entirely new system because Recent Activity is built on an old model for notifications that isn’t common on the internet anymore and thus a big hurdle for new members joining Flickr."

This is astonishing. Recent Activity is built on an old model "that isn't common on the internet anymore." NO ONE cares about that. If we wanted to be on Facebook we'd be on Facebook. Recent Activity is a "big hurdle" for new members? Sounds disingenuous as well as insulting to new members. When you have something unique, and elegantly useful, and loved by users, which has stood the test of time, why would you choose to destroy it in a monkey see, monkey do attempt to conform? Recent Activity is simply far superior to the Notifications model, not just in my opinion, but in the opinions of the majority of those leaving feedback. If your plan is to keep tweaking Notifications until it does everything Recent Activity does, how silly is that? You already have it. Wouldn't the logical course of action be to continue improving Notifications while leaving Recent Activity as it was for those of us who depend on it? Why is giving us a choice such a radical idea?

"Recent Activity is built on an old model for notifications that isn’t common on the internet anymore" is the closest anyone has come to an explanation of the thinking that went into these changes. Can you understand why we're all scratching our heads?
Bill Amidon edited this topic 3 months ago.

view photos

Bill Amidon says:

Los Paseos:
Donkey Hot Tea:

Right on the $ - good comments.

view photos

ladyinpurple says:

It's a mess. Keeps posting the same ones.

view photos

Clement Tang * says:

gregt99:

What I meant was the whole page is full of past invitations years ago. Clicking on the 3 dots on the right does nothing at all. They seem to be there and stay for ever.

For the recent invites, once I accepted them they are gone. This program is not designed for actual users. They have not one the debugging. The Flickr team don't even have the courtesy to respond to my question.

view photos

Jasperdo says:

I remember when Camera Roll was first introduced we were told it was going to replace Organizr. So many people complained about it that BOTH were retained. Why can't you do the same for Recent Activity and Notifications? They can complement each other rather than replace one another.

view photos

the foreign photographer - ฝรั่งถ่ says:

Jasperdo:

I could live with that.:-)

view photos

Jan 130 says:

Jasperdo:

I agree with you. Let's have both PLEASE !

view photos

johnb/Derbys/UK says:

Flickr staff not interested in going with what people like that is now so obvious,been a pro member for years that is about to stop fed up with being messed about.

view photos

Clement Tang * says:

Jasperdo:

The best way is to make RA working like before.

The Bell and RA should compliment each other very well !!!

view photos

Jackie & Dennis says:

Please keep recent activity it works for me and I can scan all comments and see which I have replied to.

Notifications mean a lot more clicking and even then it is difficult to remember - some of my flickr friends do mass commenting sessions, and responding well is part of that friendship.

Jackie

view photos

rockwolf says:

This is unbelievable! RA isn't working well at all now, and notifications are utterly useless, so I don't know where I am with comments. Stop faffing about with your unwanted changes and get the system working as it was before please!!!!!

view photos

Carla@ says:

Jasperdo:

Clement Tang *:

Totally agree with you. Let's have both !!

view photos

abstractartangel77 says:

Under 'Groups you Admin' if there's more than one photo in the Pending queue for a group it only shows one of them; why doesn't it show them all?
It's very convoluted and time-consuming using the new Notifications - I'm going to stick with clicking on the 'Groups' tab I added to my browser task bar, and also the tab I added for the landing page of my own photostream and clicking on 'Following' to see any new uploads from my Contacts.

Please at least give us the choice to use the old RA which worked very well for me and many others.

view photos

rockwolf says:

Jasperdo:

Agreed, though they need to sort RA out and revert it back to how it used to work, as it certainly doesn't work now!!

view photos

mdiepraam says:

Have been cross-checking between the desktop and app notifications, and found that almost half of all notifications is missing in the desktop version!

view photos

whitetuskstudiosltd says:

I really like it ! Thank you

view photos

Vincent DiPietro says:

Awful!!! If it ain't broke don't fix it.

view photos

Gert-Paassen says:

Sorry, it isnt better but worster. i am going not to be a pro. Its unworkfull for me

view photos

feejbee42 says:

It doesn't work at all for me - I just get a blank page. Totally unusable, so no I don't like it.

view photos

Ida Pyl says:

if a user comments on several pictures, I see x has commented on y pictures, but I do not see the comments. I am interested in the pictures and the comments, not the users as first glance. This needs a revision please. At least show each individual comment. I do not want to click on each picture to see the comment and then go back to the activity overview.

view photos

4thirdsOpticalDelusions says:

Go ahead, delete this comment and see just how constructive a paying customer can get. The new commenter-centric page is not an improvement in my opinion. I suspect that what most people don't like is the summarizing of who commented, and the necessity of having to open each photo to see those comments. We don't care necessarily who commented, but rather we care about the specific comments and the ability to quickly scan said comments. Removing that simple but effective functionality is why I expressed my utter disbelief that all that effort justified a salary--so sorry if I hurt anybody's feeling; I'm just a guy that pays the bills...

view photos

ShaeGuerin says:

You've taken away the ability to mute activity on photos I commented on years ago! And when I try to bring up the Notifications tab, sometimes another bigger full-page version comes u, without muting those in the drop-down tab.

It wasn't broken and didn't need fixing. Seems you gave some make-work to people rather than improve the flickr experience.

Thumbs down on this new Notifications business. I won't be renewing my PRO membership this year.

view photos

Jane Statham says:

cabb88:

Reset my settings again and it seems to have worked OK. Thanks for the tip.

view photos

Rasande Tyskar says:

Rodolfo Quinio:

Absolutely right!

view photos

Xaleria Starlight says:

Leticia Roncero:

Many thousands of users are members of hundreds of different groups. The resulting deluge of notifications from said groups is so overwhelming it renders the notification system entirely useless. The only option to escape a tidal wave of admin blasts and rule changes is to turn off all notifications group by group, resulting in much wasted time and complete loss of a feature because of too much spam.

Sometimes you just have to accept that a design decision was bad one.

view photos

kittymax says:

When I joined Flickr in 2006 it used only one name, a screen name, for everything. The screen name could have been just about anything even one’s own true name as long as it was available. Using a screen name other than a true name would have indicated that the member wished to remain anonymous. These seem to have been the rules of the game at the time. Then one day my true name suddenly appeared on all my page headers in violation of privacy (under the rules of the game). How many authors who use a pseudonym would put their true name in brackets alongside it? I then discovered that my true name was being used with comments I made while my screen name was being used with faves. And now as I write the old RA (RIP) used screen names and the sparkling new notifications use true names. It’s a funny old world, isn’t it? There seems to have been a certain lack of attention to details and it seems to be on-going!

view photos

Kerry (previously kerwitcherwoo) says:

Not completely sure it's working correctly... I haven't received at least one notification that someone had replied to one of my comments, which I normally do. Also, sometimes i get notified of faves with a running total of the number of faves, and sometimes I just get told that someone has faved without the running total - i.e. there appears to be some inconsistency (though it's possible it's always been that way?). Finally, sometimes notifications that do appear seem to swap in order in which they appear - if it's based on time since response, then it shouldn't change. I've also noticed that when others refer to me in comments, I sometimes now see my flickr address rather than my either my username or my name, which struck me as being different to 'normal'. Generally, I'm not wholly convinced by now having to see all new discussions created - I don't care why someone's random image was rejected, meaning they decided to create a new discussion - though seeing some new discussions is quite useful. Conflicted on that one...!

view photos

I also agree with the previous comment that when I signed up I wanted to be known by my username, not my real name. Though when it became apparent that some users saw my actual name, I kind of stopped caring. But I do think there should be consistency... users choose a username because that's what they want to be known as. Our actual name should be for flickr's information only.

view photos

Following an earlier comment, I've also just realised that notifications received are different via the app compared to those received when logged in via the web. I don't think that used to be the case? And finally: why does the app not notify us when images are added to a gallery, but the web does? That's always frustrated me. If you're making changes, would be great to bring web and app into alignment. I appreciate how difficult a job this all is :-(

view photos

panda501 (PLEASE READ THE PROFILE) says:

Cada vez que fazem alterações o site piora! Nós pagamos e cada vez estamos mais mal servidos. Por favor PAREM de estragar isto. Está uma verdadeira confusão conseguir ver quem comenta as nossas fotos.
A continuar assim deixo de pagar e saio do site.

view photos

KaCey97078 says:

I was perfectly happy with what we had previously.. It would have been nice if we had a choice... I don't need to be notified when I am reading what my contacts are saying so why is it there? I'm on a PC btw...

view photos

Arno_Lucas says:

It isn't really easy to use! The app and the desktop version differ too much from each other. The notifications in the app also do not always come through (immediately). Sometimes I can't block people or delete comments in the app, while I can on the desktop version. And there are also functions on the desktop version that don't work in the app... Very annoying.

view photos

NorthKoreanSwag says:

What an annoying update. I honestly don't give two fucks about what the groups are doing and I'm in a whole bunch of them. We need an option to mute them all at once.

view photos

Jamie Ball says:

I liked it better the old way.. why change it when it didn't need to be changed?
Jamie Ball edited this topic 3 months ago.

view photos

roba66 says:

NONSNS NONSENS NONSENS

The only way is to make RA working like before (old one - like 2 month ago). .

view photos

Lincs L&P says:

Leave it as it was please. I struggle to see who has posted what on what I have posted.

view photos

roba66 says:

Maybe some people can work with the bell. But as I wrote x-times this is not for profis - pro ...

The only way is to make RA working like before (old one - like 2 month ago).

But everything that is new and that you change somehow gives me problems. And this new RA system makes absolutely no sense to me.
In my opinion you can't do anything with it, at least not what would be important to me and many others. Namely, as easily as since then, what happened to my pictures within 1-3 days (comments, faves, etc.) in chronological order !!!
Only then can I work with it, determine my faves, etc. in a meaningful way and react if necessary. I keep a list (faves) for all my pictures, among other things, to see how many asterisks they have in order to post them in appropriate groups, etc.
I can not say more about that. If that no longer works, I (and many others, as I hear) no longer enjoy it.
The fact is, this utter confusion (as it is now) does not help anything and nobody and it cannot be thought of by Flickr. So much for that.

view photos

Nikon66 says:

This is terrible. Whoever designed this must not have any idea of what information people want when they go to look at their recent activity. There was absolutely nothing wrong with the old RA. There are a lot of other things on Flickr that need fixing, but this was not one of them. If ownership believes that this new RA is the way to go, that's fine, but please do not eliminate the old one as it is informative and well designed and does not need an update - - at least not the update that you are implementing.

Thank you.

view photos

Kurtsview says:

why do I need to see all the group updates?

view photos

my.travels says:

A user faved 46 photos in my stream, but notifications show only 12. So, I do not know the other 34 which were faved. In original RA there wouldn't be such a problem.

view photos

my.travels says:

Rodolfo Quinio:

I agree with you.. This ship started to sink, but this staff is not aware.

view photos

my.travels says:

If I will be forced to use this new notification, I'd rather prefer to go with Instagram which is far better. The reason I've preferred Flickr was RA. Imagine MS removing SUM function from Excel. This is what you are doing now.

view photos

moacirdsp says:

Congratulations!
You just disrupted my Flickr experience.
First of all: I want to know who faved my pics, but also want to see the recent comments, just like it was before. Just seeing a thumbnail of the picture doesn't tell me the activity in that picture, and this is crucial as I follow the activity of old pictures. If a picture has one or one hundred faves it is also important to me.
All these comments about groups are just annoying.If you can't get back to the old page, I will have to figure another way of following my pics.This notification page is irrelevant to me.
I will probably cancel my participation in 100 groups or so, since I can't deal seeing every time someone changes a comma in the groups description. I don't care.

view photos

moacirdsp says:

my.travels:

Exactly!

view photos

moacirdsp says:

cabb88:

Now, imagine you have 40,000 pics on Flickr and want to go over the last 100 with recent activity. You will have to open all 100 pages, when before you would have to scroll down about 5 or six pages and see the latest updates, without opening lthe 100 pages.
Also seeing that i have one fav today doesn't help when I need to follow closely how many faves I have all together.

view photos

moacirdsp says:

panda501 (PLEASE READ THE PROFILE):

Raios que os partam!

view photos

my.travels says:

Bill Amidon:

I agree.

view photos

moacirdsp says:

Leticia Roncero:

In the old format, let's say I had uploaded a photo five years ago, and it had 45 faves already. If a couple of folks named Pat and John came along and faved it today, the notification would read, "Pat and John and 45 other people faved your photo." We were showing the count of the entire history of faves on the photo in the notification, even though some of the faves might have been five years old

THAT IS EXACTLY THE INFORMATION I NEED.

view photos

Clement Tang * says:

moacirdsp:

That's exactly what the Bell is making us do. When you are away for a week or two, you would have a lot of work to do just to catch up.

view photos

Flickr Staff

cabb88 says:

moacirdsp:
my.travels:

We know that many members are interested in seeing the total number of faves that a photo has, along with the full list of folks that recently faved the photo. We mentioned here that this is one of the areas that we're discussing internally. Once we have more news to share, we'll provide an update to everyone.

view photos

sdttds says:

cabb88:

It's not just the faves, I (and others) want to see a picture centric summary of comments and faves. It is much more user-friendly to scroll down and see what happened in the last 24 hours (for example), and see what the comments are, not "XYZ and 3 others commented on your photo," and then have to click on that link to see what they are. This being the internet, some comments are rude, abusive, inappropriate, or otherwise need removal. Some people are problematic and need banning. I've mentioned this previously, but I had one person comment on/fave my photos. His screen name was a highly inappropriate one (the initials were HH, and were used during WWII... I'm sure you can figure it out). He was going to get blocked, even if he left the nicest comments ever. This is now more difficult.

And in the meantime, neither RA nor Notifications work. In any case, the link at the top of this thread doesn't work anymore. It just refreshes this page.

Please listen to the customers and restore the RA page (offer the Notifications as a beta option, if you want). Just don't ask for feedback and then ignore it. That is rude.

view photos

.{кαяα мια}. ᓚᘏᗢ says:

Love the new notifications. Great feature! Makes it so much easier to keep up with comments and such.

view photos

witajny says:

Flickr became a full-time job (unpaid) because of the clumsy design of Notifications with the total amount of favorites removed. Jumping from Notifications to every photo to see the rest of the information removed is extremely time-consuming and odd for a paid website.

view photos

swanq says:

An important use of Recent Activity for me has been to look back at photos I have recently commented on, whether or not anyone has replied to the comments or commented on the same photo. Often I have discovered I have more to say about the photo (mainly historical photos that people are looking for information about, including photos in the Commons). I cannot do this with the new Notification system.

view photos

grahamH says:

I took my Pro account to Ipernity in mid 2013 due to bad changes. The recent DESTRUCTION of 'Recent Activity' shows Flickr still has a narrow understanding of how people use the site.

The changes cut me off from those I've commented on. There is no way back to that photo unless a reply is given.

I also note that a previous post on this topic from a week ago has been removed.

Flickr, I'd realy like to be a part of you but your changes keep me away.

view photos

swanq says:

Jan 130:

I agree. Please allow us to keep using the old Recent Activity. For me it is much more useful.

view photos

Rodolfo Quinio says:

An example:
2 hours ago person A faved 13 of my photos. Giving due respect & courteous to person A, I went over his photostream and faved / commented on his photos.
Then 10 minutes ago, person A again faved this time 12 photos. Why does notifications state, person A faved 25 of my phots 10 minutes ago.
Consequently, I look over my photos & find out that out of the 25 only 12 were newly faved by person A. The recent acctivity on my photos help because it shows there the correct time. The new notification is worthless. The old recent activity on my photos with pages is better & quicker to spot where I should restart.
You should stop this double notification, it wastes our time, time we can devote to other endeavours.

view photos

Rodolfo Quinio says:

The RA for my photos is NOT in chronological order again. This is really very difficult. Your notification is not accurate, it doesn't give us an accurate picture. Please see above on why.
Can you please stop this & just revert before we all just give up?

view photos

Rodolfo Quinio says:

cabb88:

Please let us know what is your final resolution on this issue. At least be honest & fair & we can decide whether to continue or end our paid subscription.
I had an enjoyable experience with Flickr, reason I'm still here but right now it is so stressful. Why would I continue to pay my subscription if all it does is stress me out?
Many will be asking this same question too!

view photos

Jeffrey Neihart says:

Personally I just want to see "Notifications" for "favorites" & "comments."

view photos

Antonio Vaccarini says:

Rodolfo Quinio:

I agree

view photos

Mobile Lynn says:

I have tried using the new notification but it shows you don't know how us users use the system. Give us back the old recent activity in chronological order. Its a complete mess at the moment and I'm reducing my use of Flickr because of this change. The new notification centre does not even include the title of the photo next to the thumbnail - Thats how I track which of my images I want to look at!! It was the first thing you saw next to the thumbnail in Recent Activity!!

view photos

conall.. says:

Leticia Roncero:

“On the Recent Activity page, I was able to see individual replies and comments without having to open the actual photo page.”
You can do this from the new Notifications Center as well! When you click on a comment link from the Notifications Center page, you will get a modal that lets you scroll through ALL the comments for that image. You can also reply to the comments from that modal, without leaving the Notifications Center page.

but this is only true if it is an individual comment . Where more than one comment on a photo have been put together as "XXX has commented on 2 pictures" then the only way to see/reply to the comment is to go into the photo, scroll to bottom of the comments. Then when you do this it is awkward to get back to the same point in notifications centre (you go to the top and have to scroll down).

The functionality in the new notifications needs sorted before there is any further degradation of the RA. If you want to bring folk along with these changes the new system has to be more usable than it is now.

For me, this problem with multiple comments is the single most irritating aspect of the change. I am sure there must be many others that feel similar. If you can sort this then I will work at getting used to the new system and weaning myself off RA

view photos

Steffen Kamprath says:

My feedback for the new notificartion center:

Some time ago, I didn't receive any updates on the activities on my photos in the Flickr iOS app. All I saw was months old group invitation. I thought your server has some issues and I waited a couple of days. The issue maintained and I started to google for help and only there found out that you enabled a new notification center. I then went to the desktop browser, logged-in there and quickly found a way to enable notifications for favs etc. again. Now they're back in the app as well.

So, if you roll out such new feature which has the capabilities to work just like the previous iteration, please make the default setting just like they were. You could have left all types of notification enabled but tell me in-app "Hey, we got new notification settings. Check them out here!" That would have solved so many issues for me.

For the new notification center on desktop browser and apps, I unfortunately fail to understand how it groups. It's not like before where I saw all activities per photo per type of activity (e.g. all favs, all comments). However I liked it and it worked best for me. Now I sometimes see that one users has faved several images – but then not all (e.g. this user liked 4 photos which are grouped and then 3 more which are single items in the list). Sometimes I see that in total 100 people faved my photo but then the next item shows 2 people have faved the another photo but in total it was 100 as well.

So, I don't understand how the grouping works and how I can make use of it. It feels random. And therefore I prefered the original way the (iOS) app did it: activities per photo per type by time.

And, yes, the old desktop browser activity center made little sense to me and I didn't used it but the app version. Furthermore it was lagging behind, telling me I had 4 new items while it 100.

As a request: While mostly all nottifications are interesting to me, I'd like to get some highlight for mails/messages and testimonials – also in the apps.

view photos

John Laughlin Photography says:

Exactly why did we change it? At this time, I have a couple follow notifications. One from someone who I blocked, and one from someone, who's account got deleted almost immediately after they followed me. I also can't mute notifications that aren't important to me in either the new Farcebook-esque Notifications page or in the old Recent Activity page.

Instead of the new page, I think it would've been more constructive for the coders to fix the issue with the recent activity page showing a page with no activity when stuff is muted in the middle of, say, 447 pages of activity, like what I had showing before the revision was implemented.

view photos

jonathan charles photo says:

The "feel bad" factor...
While it's nice to know when your photos are accepted into groups it can be quite upsetting for photographers to find their work rejected especially when they cannot see any reason for it. Obviously it is at the discretion of the group admins who have their own view of what is wanted but it still feels bad to be judged adversely.

Also it is diffcult for the admins who don't want to upset members who think that their work is artistic and that their loved ones are self-evidently beautiful.

So I suggest that the group - reject notification is by default switched OFF so people just get the good news (at present this is not even an option – it's both or none).
jonathan charles photo edited this topic 3 months ago.

view photos

kurtwolf303 says:

cabb88:
We are not only interested in the total amount of faves for a picture. In the fave - groups it is essential to know the amount, because only then can we know if we have reached the next level of the particular group.
and YES ! It would be very important to know and have a link to the persons that fave/comment a photo in one direct row next to the photo like it has been in the old system.
Regards!

view photos

Pierre Wayser says:

I had more informations (views, comments and favorite) displayed on the old "recent activity" !
What's the point to not get back these informations in "notifications"?
And too many clicks to get the real information !
Bad UI…

view photos

rockwolf says:

swanq:

Exactly that!!

view photos

moacirdsp says:

Los Paseos:

WELL SAID

view photos

moacirdsp says:

cabb88:

Thanks for looking at it.

Now, let´s try another point.
Daily Routine: I open the RA page and review the communications on about 100 pictures, that is about 5 or 6 pages. But I want to continue tomorrow. So tomorrow I start from page 6 and go to page 12, and so on.
The new RA page and the bell system make it impossible. So I totally cannot enjoy reviewing my old photos.

view photos

moacirdsp says:

I don't want to be notified if my pic is approved in a group. I will eventually find it out, if it is of concern. Being notified just adds clutter to the page.

I also don't want to know if my pic is rejected. I don't care, but it always causes some frustration and eventually less interest in that group.

I don't want any notification of changes etc. BTW last night I exited some 20 groups just to keep communications down. More to go tonight.
If your goal was to increase member interaction, it is just working to decrease it.

view photos

mcnod says:

moacirdsp:

I also don't want to know if my pic is rejected. I don't care

It's not always all about you. It is a big improvement that group rejections are indicated to photo owners, group administrators are happy about this. We spend a lot of time rejecting photos that do not fit the group rules. Some group members do care about the groups they join and adjust their submission based on these rejection notices. win-win

view photos

An_Anteros says:

Leticia Roncero:

Besides many downfalls of a new system, which I don't like at all, all the Muted Items, both from the Recent activity page as well as from the new Notification page are completely disappeared.

That means I do not see any of my previously muted activity, no matter how I muted it, and I also tried from the notification centre. Recent activity tells "No results found" and Notification page - "When you have new notifications, they’ll appear here. Non of that is true.

view photos

mdiepraam says:

More new Notifcations trouble: I now have one entry mentioning 'xxx commented on 24 photos'. So that's 24 times of clicking on a photo to see what the comment is instead of 24 separate entries in RA telling me exactly what the comment is without the need for a single click.

But that's not all. I only get to see 10 pictures. So that's 14 comments that are 'lost'. Furthermore, these 10 pictures seem to be randomly ordered, since I've responded to some of them before while I haven't with others.

Also, several entries that I saw pop up in the app are missing in the desktop version. So now I find myself MANUALLY cross-checking app and desktop entries, which in the process helps me to relocate those 14 'missing' comments. The next thing is to look up these missing pictures, again MANUALLY, in order to create a grouped response to the comments (which you can't do in the app). I just can't believe I'm having to do this to replicate a job I used to do in minutes while using RA.

All because you are trying to outsmart the brilliant UX team that designed the original RA and the initial Groups page (also quicker and less time-consuming than the current one) for no apparent reason at all. I would really like to be constructive - and I hope that I am in between my complaining - but this is just too exasperating to remain curteous.
mdiepraam edited this topic 3 months ago.

view photos

decembre says:

Continue to test it:
The first problem is the no pagination (at least in the Notification center page).

They are many items to read and some need more attention or need to be reviewed after.

In the old RA, i can choose which page i want inspect.
And most important, where i can go back easily to a particular page or the previous one!

Not need to return to the first page and click / click /click etc...
Which is a frustrating thing, no?

About this problem, you can read this article (which is not the only one on that):
Disadvantages of Scrolling.
The article point some problem:
- Disorienting – The disconnection between scrolling and content may leave users confused or disjointed.
- Navigational difficulties – It can be awkward to “go back” to previous content on the page. To counter this, you could create a persistent top navigation where each item is anchored to a page section.

To be honest, they write too:
-Stubborn users – Nevermind why, some users always resist change. Nonetheless, the technique is so widespread now (especially during mobile experiences) that it’s probably safe to say that the majority of users are accustomed to the technique.

view photos

GillesBourdon says:

It should be painfully obvious by now that, ludicrous and illegitimate that it may seem, Flickr has no intention of pleasing the customer/user/member who should know better than anyone what it needs but Flickr has ignored this fact and plodded on knowing that it holds all the cards and thus has complete freedom to act as it wishes.

view photos

kittymax says:

Hear, hear! It defies all logic!
kittymax edited this topic 3 months ago.

view photos

sdttds says:

Link to Notification Center still doesn't work -- it just refreshes this page. And clicking on the bell icon is even more asnnoying than the Notification Center.

Please restore RA!

view photos

Meino NL says:

I want the old RA back the way it was, notifications are way too slow.

view photos

Carla@ says:

I have tried using the new notification but it shows you don't know how us users use the system. It's an annoying and useless mess. Why remove something that obviously many of us prefer?
Give us back the old Recent Activity in chronological order.

view photos

Helena de Riquer says:

Give us back the old Recent Activity, please!
Flickr doesn't make sense to me now.

view photos

txmx 2 says:

btw
a -not so important - bug:
in RA (SAVE IT!) some comments appear doubled (not on the actual photo page).

view photos

johngpt says:

Here is yet another problem with this new Notifications.
I've posted a photo to the Freitagsblümchen group.
Rod and Di posted a comment at the photo.

Notifications tells me that Rod and Di commented.
I go to the photo, click Reply and comment on what they had said.

Notifications doesn't show that I've commented on my photo.
Even after waiting a half hour and refreshing the Notifications page.

Recent Activity has always recognized when I'd respond to a comment on my photos.

view photos

johngpt says:

I absolutely abhor this Notifications roll out.

view photos

Kernowfile says:

Flickr staff have previously said:-

"In an earlier response, we also mentioned that we focused on building an entirely new system because Recent Activity is built on an old model for notifications that isn’t common on the internet anymore and thus a big hurdle for new members joining Flickr."

There is a fundamental problem here, of understanding language and apparently also of Flickr understanding their own site.

Recent Activity is NOT based on an old model for notifications - unless you mean in an IT technical sense of which I would not be aware. It is NOT notifying us of activity, it collates the activity on an individual image over a specified period of time.

My use of Flickr is to post photos and hope others like them. If they do, then fine, I receive faves and comments. I do not set out to build a large following and nor do I follow a large number of other photographers. I have neither the time nor the inclination to wade through hundreds of photos, so I only follow a limited number of others whose images I like. I don't normally post large numbers of images on any particular day.

Since I joined Flickr, I have always used the "bell icon" notifications as a prompt to go to the image page and reply to comments when I can. I go to RA for a summary of that particularly if I'm catching up on comment replies. I can see, however, that for those who have very many followers and are similarly following a lot of others, my method would not work. Those are the users who must find the new Notifications Center an utter nightmare.

As far as I can see, the NC is literally just an enlargement of the bell icon dropdown. As others have repeatedly pointed out it does NOT collate diverse image activity relating to an individual image. Yes, it may consolidate comments/faves but it does not necessarily provide the depth of individual detail users want. Going through to the image page does not, for example, provide a list of those who have "faved" without further clicks and it doesn't date or sequence them. The NC system is not user friendly(too many clicks) or intuitive(cumbersome and not image based), and will have just as big a (bigger?) learning curve as the RA.

Recent Activity is entirely logical on a website based on users posting and sharing their images and I find it truly amazing that Flickr thinks it is a problem "for new users". It is an asset in the way to use Flickr and it should be promoted as a way to quickly see how any, but particularly recent, image postings are performing.

I have previously made clear what additional information and notification options I'd like to see, so I'll leave it there for now.

view photos

Jasperdo says:

Just logged on to check my activity. On Notifications I have three separate notifications for the same photo. Over on Recent Activity they were all neatly added to that photo's activity. Concise and easy to see all in one place. A much easier way to see what's happening with your individual photos. Notifications is a helter skelter mess.

view photos

johngpt says:

Kernowfile:

Well said.

view photos

johngpt says:

I'm really trying to get to know and use this Notifications Center.
It's so difficult.
Just noticed now that when I've gotten to the bottom of the page of Notifications, the button to load more is missing.
WTF?

Edit: for whatever reason, after refreshing the page the Load More button was back again.

Please, please, please don't get rid of Recent Activity.
And restore the mute button to it.

This Notifications Center does nothing for how I monitor activity on the photos I post or the photos at which I comment.

This thread has been closed by Flickr Staff.

(1001 to 1100 of 1320 replies in New Flickr Notifications Center and Settings available to all members.)
Subscribe to a feed of stuff on this page... Feed – Subscribe to help discussion threads