Help / The Help Forum

This thread has been closed by Flickr Staff.

Hot Topics

[Official Thread] Have an idea for Flickr? Share it here.
Latest: 18 hours ago
New Flickr Notifications Center and Settings available to all members.
Latest: 5 weeks ago
[Updated April 26, 2021] Flickr is moving payments to Stripe
Latest: 11 months ago
Welcome to the Flickr Help Forum! Click here to get started and to read our Forum Guidelines.
Latest: 17 months ago

Current Discussion

The "Your Inbox Appears Empty" bug strikes again
Latest: 46 minutes ago
Feed page vs. People page
Latest: 2 hours ago
No email notifications on a new photo
comments twice as nice
Groups are suddenly broken
Latest: 3 hours ago
Sudden drop in overall views.
Latest: 4 hours ago
Why can't we put cover pics that in our groups?
Latest: 11 hours ago
Going to "end" in Faves
Latest: 12 hours ago
Cannot Download Photos from Web Browser on iPhone
Latest: 13 hours ago
why my safe photos are beeing restriced by the bot?
Latest: 15 hours ago
[Acknowledged by Flickr Staff] Notifications - not showing older than 2hrs
Latest: 17 hours ago
iOS Flickr App
Latest: 30 hours ago
More...

Search the Help Forum

New Flickr Notifications Center and Settings available to all members.

Flickr Staff

Leticia Roncero says:

Updates:

9/16/21: Summary of latest reply. If you have further questions or feedback about using the Notifications Center, please write to our Support team. The Recent Activity page will be sunset on December 15, 2021. Our latest reply also lists upcoming improvements that we'll be implementing based on your feedback and additional community feedback that we're taking into consideration.

9/08/21: Acknowledged feedback regarding seeing the total number of faves that a photo has and seeing all of your photos that someone has recently faved (currently notifications is only surfacing 12)

8/17/21: Acknowledged 2 known issues (slow loading and not seeing recent faves)

=======

Today, after months of development, feedback rounds with our members, and hard work, we are continuing our rollout from 25% to 100% of the new Flickr Notifications Center and Notifications Settings pages.

What does this mean?

We’ve expanded the current notifications from the bell icon at the top of Flickr and introduced a new tab for groups you admin. We’ve also introduced a Notifications Center page so you can see your notifications with more screen real estate.

What’s new?

The Notifications Center
The Notifications Center is a rebuilt version of the Recent Activity page designed to surface all of the latest activity related to your Flickr experience. To access the Notifications Center, click on the bell icon in the navigation bar at the top of Flickr, and at the bottom of the dropdown, you’ll see the link that used to read “View Recent Activity” now reads “View all notifications.” When you click that, you’ll be taken to the new Notifications Center, where you’ll be able to access all your notifications, filter your notifications by type (ie.: faves, group invitations, comments on your photos, etc.), and check the latest activity on your photos, groups, and conversations.

Notifications Settings Page
The Notifications Settings page allows you to turn on or mute notifications by type. This page gives you control over your in-site notifications as well as email notifications to decide what you’re notified about, how you’re notified, and even how often. To access the Notifications Settings page, click on the bell icon in the navigation bar at the top of Flickr and you’ll notice a new gear icon that will take you to the Notifications Settings page.

Group Notifications
For groups, we’ve added new notification types to let you know when admins update the group admin blast, as well as group description and rules. Additionally, group admins will now see notifications for the groups they admin as a separate tab so they can easily sort out the priority updates for their groups from personal notifications and from groups they don’t admin. If you’re not interested in receiving group notifications, you can turn them off on your Notifications Settings page. Please note that there’s no option to turn off notifications for all groups at once, so please be intentional about which groups you mute.

New ‘Options’ in your Groups page
As we are rolling out the new Notifications, you’ll also see updates to your Groups list page, where all of your groups are displayed. We’ve changed the name of “Faved Groups” to “Pinned Groups” to avoid conflating with the action of faveing photos/videos. Pinning a group will keep that group at the top of your list, and will ensure you get notified of any new group discussions posted to that group. There’s also a new column called Options, which lets you manage group notifications, show or hide groups from your activity feed, and more. If you desire, you can use the Options column on the Groups list page to mute/unmute each of your groups. To pin a group on your Groups list page, select the Options column three-dot menu next to the desired group and choose “Pin to top of page.” If you want a group pinned to the top of the page, but you don’t want group notifications, you can mute the group from the same menu, or from your Notifications Settings page.

Comment modal in Notifications (how to see all comments made for one of your photos)
When you click on a comment notification from the Notifications Center page, you will get a modal that lets you scroll through all the comments on the photo without leaving the Notifications dropdown or Notifications Center. You can also reply to the comments from that modal. For people who like to go through all their comment threads without context switching, this should be a useful workflow for you now.

You can see a video demo of this in action here.

Archiving (changes to how some notifications are presented)
With these changes, you’ll now see notifications for recent activity on your photos, discussions, and groups, rather than seeing every previous interaction associated with that photo/video/group, etc. Let's take an example:

In the old format, let's say I had uploaded a photo five years ago, and it had 45 faves already. If a couple of folks named Pat and John came along and faved it today, the notification would read, "Pat and John and 45 other people faved your photo." We were showing the count of the entire history of faves on the photo in the notification, even though some of the faves might have been five years old.

In the new format with this hypothetical example, you'll get a notification that says, "Pat and John faved your photo." We're surfacing what has happened recently and seems most relevant.

Likewise, we've changed some of the models for how notifications are presented, with the intent to cut down on the noise when, for example, one person faves a bunch of your photos. In the past, if Pat faved ten of your photos, you would have received ten separate notifications. With the new model, we'll now simply show you a batch notification that says "Pat faved ten photos'' with thumbnails for those ten photos. Here is a visual example.

Changes to the Recent Activity page
If you regularly use Recent Activity, you're going to notice a change to the navigation at the bottom of that page. Because we are archiving old notifications as described above, we're not able to maintain pagination at the bottom of Recent Activity. So where you previously could see page 1, 2, 3, etc., until the last page, you will now use a "next →" button to navigate. We’ve added a "start" button as well so that you don't have to use the back arrow on your browser.
If you notice that items you previously muted are showing up for you with new reactions in Recent Activity, this is due to the way the archiving data is stored. If you want to mute comments on a particular photo/video, for example, you’ll need to do that in the new Notifications to have it work on Recent Activity.

If you still regularly use Recent Activity and haven't explored the new Notifications, now is a good time to try the new system. We have spent the past few months monitoring the performance of this new experience and working to incorporate feedback to make sure that everything that you can view in Recent Activity is available in the Notifications Center or elsewhere on Flickr. We are keeping Recent Activity while everyone gets used to the new notifications center, but our plan is to eventually remove this page and focus on making notifications the go-to experience for keeping up with your activity on Flickr. We'll continue fine-tuning notifications, so if you notice anything that doesn't appear to be working as it should or you're unable to accomplish a specific workflow in notifications that you could in recent activity, please let us know here. We've also included an FAQ in our Help Center.

Answers to some FAQs about the new Notifications Center:

“The new system is missing some notifications. For example, I can’t find [X] notification type.”
We built the new Notifications Center with feature parity in mind, which means you should be able to see all the same types of notifications (and other new ones) that you used to see on the Recent Activity page. If you have lots of new activity that you need to manage, the Notifications Center page lets you filter your notifications by type. For example, show only notifications for comments, or only for group invitations, etc. You can select different filters depending on what you want to see. Click on the “All Notifications” dropdown at the top of the notifications list to apply filters.

“On the Recent Activity page, I was able to see individual replies and comments without having to open the actual photo page.”
You can do this from the new Notifications Center as well! When you click on a comment link from the Notifications Center page, you will get a modal that lets you scroll through ALL the comments for that image. You can also reply to the comments from that modal, without leaving the Notifications Center page.

“I want to see the list of people who faved my photo(s) without having to navigate to the actual photo page.”
Similarly to how we brought the comment modal into the new notifications after feedback that folks wanted to be able to see all the comments on a photo without having to go to the photo page, we are looking at how we can bring the fave modal that is currently on the photo page (e.g. “[person 1], [person 2] and [n more people] faved your photo”) into the Notifications Center and under the bell icon. We’ve wanted to update that modal component to have more functionality, so this is a perfect time to do so. We’ll work on that after we get 100% of the community into the new system.
Posted at 11:40AM, 26 August 2021 PDT ( permalink )
cabb88 (staff) edited this topic 5 weeks ago.

(1101 to 1200 of 1320 replies in New Flickr Notifications Center and Settings available to all members.)
view photos

Bill Amidon says:

Kernowfile:

Great comment. It is particularly valuable because you use both Notifications and RA and clearly understand the difference. Personally, I've never seen the need for Notifications at all, but perhaps that's because all my Flickr interactions are done on the internet on a desktop computer rather than a phone app. With RA everything is on one logically laid out page with links to everything else. For those of us who use Flickr this way, Notifications is a nightmare.
Posted 6 weeks ago. ( permalink )

view photos

Bill Amidon says:

johngpt:

"This Notifications Center does nothing for how I monitor activity on the photos I post or the photos at which I comment."

Exactly right!

view photos

Dorota.S - ! says:

I have a big request to Flickr! r us. You blocked well-established RA for us. Your CN is of no use to users. Our arguments, as always, do not convince you. Please don't fix Stats as this option, although not perfect, works fast. Also, don't block us from the old look of the groups. It would be a disaster for us administrators.

view photos

Donkey Hot-tea says:

Kernowfile:

This is an extremely well set out explanation of the problems most objectors to the new Notifications have. I would hope (though with little expectation) that the Ostriches at Flickr Central read, take note, and act.

My main account has over 15.7k followers and I receive an awful lot of comments. RA makes it easy to see the images followers like and they are (or were) shown in chronological order.

I too follow a limited number of others (less than 250), only those whose images I like.

How can Flickr claim that RA is: "a big hurdle for new members joining Flickr." What is not to understand with RA? It is simple, easy-to-understand (or was until Flickr began screwing around with it and items began appearing in no particular chronological order). It was also quick and extremely easy to use.

I concur with absolutely everything Kernowfile writes. I just wish Flickr Central could get their heads around it.

The mess that now exists is also bourn out and explained, most recently by the experience of
Jasperdo:
but also by many, many others.

Please, please, please Flickr, stop tinkering around with something which only works for a few (probably those who don't have to review dozens of comments at any one time) and get back to satisfying your core members. Don't be too proud to admit that this time you've got it wrong this time and at least give us the choice to keep RA.

view photos

Carla@ says:

Donkey Hot Tea:

Well said, I agree.

view photos

jenniferbeinhacker.com says:

after viewing the notification (a comment and a fave) the 1 notification on the bell won't go away. it repeats over and over and over....very annoying.
i have no idea how to make the 1 notifaction on the bell go away.
any ideas?????

i got rid of it by clicking on "groups you admin"....how silly is that to get rid of a notification of a fave or comment (that repeats multiple tmes) by clicking on something that has nothing to do with comments or faves.
we'll see if it works in the future when i get another notication that won't go away.
jenniferbeinhacker.com edited this topic 6 weeks ago.

view photos

DrLensCap says:

April 23, 1985 is a date long forgotten by most if not all. Yet on that date a major thing happened that I believe is relevant to what is happening with Flickr now. On that date the Coca Cola company decided to change its century old formula so that it would taste more like Pepsi, maybe even better. The result was beyond outrage. People began hording the old formula and completely rejected the new. Coke sales plummeted. For the first time they were no longer the top selling soft drink. People organized parties of people pouring new Coke down sewers. Coke was so inundated with complaints they had to hire a large number of new people just to answer calls & mail. After a couple of months Coke realized its blunder & returned to the old formula.

What Coke found is that they didn't understand its brand or its customers. Coke wanted to be something that it wasn't. It lost millions of dollars learning that lesson. Coke was a unique brand that had loyal followers that wanted what it had always provided them. When Coke stopped giving customers what they wanted, they left.

Flickr can learn a valuable lesson from the Coca Cola blunder. You have a unique site. Just like Coke, you are the top photography site for serious photographers. You are not Instagram. You are not Facebook. You are different and provide a service and experience that can't be found on other sites. You are now doing the same thing to your customer base that Coke did to its. You are alienating yourself from your loyal users in a foolish attempt to become something that you are not. The feedback you are receiving here is loud and clear, just as it was for Coke back in 1985. Us longtime Pro members are telling you that what you have done has completely destroyed the Flickr experience and has made Flickr totally useless. What does this mean, as what happened to Coke, your customers will start fleeing. My Pro membership fee is paid in a couple of days. I do not plan on cancelling this month. However, over the next 30 days I will begin exploring other photography sites to see how they would work for me. A month from now if Flickr continues on this folly, I will be gone, never to return.

view photos

kittymax says:

Amen to that!

view photos

Kernowfile says:

Bill Amidon:

Thanks for your comment. Just to be clear, I mostly use a laptop for working with Flickr. I also use a touch screen tablet pc but only for the simpler tasks, and I use the mobile android app mostly for keeping up to date with events and a little commenting/faving, but I do find the app much easier for submitting already uploaded images to groups. I use whichever hardware seems best suited to what I'm doing.

I think I use the bell icon notifications because (heretical statement here) I was used to such on Facebook which I had used before coming to Flickr as a better home for my images. But the icon only produces a drop down brief advice of recent faves/comments. The expanded Notifications Center only does exactly the same thing but using greater "screen real estate". The addition of acceptance/rejection notifications I welcome precisely because they are directly image related. The group blast/rule change notifications are NOT so directly related.

Did I find it difficult to adjust to then going either to the image page(not too difficult for me because of the scale of my daily postings and the numbers of my followers/those I'm following), or Recent Activity? Heck no, and I'm in my '70s and younger users will adapt much more readily.

I do still use Facebook (and other forums), and have no problem switching between the different concepts/purposes and I find it hard to believe that Recent Activity is an obstacle for the "Computer Generation".

view photos

~Muriel~NO Favs without a comment/Award. says:

Dorota.S - !:

Well said Dorota.

Personally I find it so difficult now to see who and what is being said now regarding comments favs and invites on each of my photos.
Mr X and 4 others is of no use to me.
RA told me everything I needed to know at a glance.

view photos

Antonio Vaccarini says:

DrLensCap:

Unfortunately, there are no better sites than this that they are destroying, but after they have destroyed it, there will be equivalent sites.

view photos

Bill Amidon says:

"We do, however, want to hear from folks about what they were able to accomplish using the Recent Activity page that they are unable to accomplish using the new notifications center."

This is mind-numbing. Why eliminate RA and then try to make the new NC do everything RA already did? Until NC shows photo thumbnails displayed with the latest interactions listed below in chronological order, with the entire page in chronological order allowing for a quick overview of all comments, faves, and group invitations, with a link to a separate page where we can check responses to our comments, enabling quick and easy communication between us and other photographers, it won't do what RA does. I wouldn't mind if I thought you were close, or on the right track, or even understood the concepts involved, but that appears not to be the case.

We're constantly admonished to keep our comments "friendly and constructive". Many folks leaving feedback (including me) are angry, so maybe rather than removing comments, you should pay some attention to the emotion involved. What you are doing is fundamentally altering the Flickr experience, ruining it for those of us who do photography. We're not all kids walking around with our phones snapping shots of our friends and pets and quick-posting them using an app. Believe me, I have no quarrel with that whatever. But, for those of us viewing and processing our photos on desktop or laptop computers, desiring a rational interface for communicating with other photographers, this is a disaster.
Bill Amidon edited this topic 6 weeks ago.

view photos

Lynn-2014 says:

Is the mute option gone?

view photos

Flickr Staff

Leticia Roncero says:

Clement Tang:

For Group Invitations:
How do we get rid of those old notifications we already rejected or accepted? They still occupy the one and only page. I am sure there should be more.

Hi Clement,

If a group invite has been declined, the notification will no longer be displayed in subsequent visits. Accepted invitations can't be hidden from the list, but the status changes to "Invitation accepted." As new notifications come in, the new group invites will appear at the top of the list, pushing the old ones down the list. Please let us know if you have further questions or feedback about this!

view photos

DrLensCap says:

Actually I am looking at 500px. I haven't made a change yet & I will have to learn something new, but maybe they will appreciate my business.

view photos

kurtwolf303 says:

Bill Amidon:

Fully agreed !

view photos

kurtwolf303 says:

Bill Amidon:

Well said......

view photos

kurtwolf303 says:

DrLensCap:

Actually I´m still here, but I am also a member of 500px and fotocommunity.de. As always in life it is better to have more options...;-)

view photos

Clement Tang * says:

Leticia Roncero:

I just checked the "Group Invitations", there are still 8 items occupying the top of the page, ranging from 9 years to 4 months old. Those are the ones I rejected / accepted long time ago. The 3 dots on the right hand side doesn't respond at all. I can't mute them.

In the last few days the invitations I dealt with have disappeared. That part is fine.

Please refer this to your IT staff to deleted them. 8 of them in total. Thanks.

view photos

DrLensCap says:

There was also a statement made by a Flickr staff member that Recent Activity is old & nobody does that any more. REALLY???? On my Facebook page, all I have to do is click on my icon & I get just that, all of my activity, in chronological order. All of my posts. All of the comments & likes.. All in an arranged logical & chronological order. Just like Recent Activity. So what is the problem here??????????

view photos

grannie annie taggs says:

Bill Amidon:
agree

view photos

WarzauWynn says:

I dislike the information orientation of the new layout. The old layout gives you information oriented around individual photos, which are works of art, the result of time and effort. This is a good way to measure how much that time and effort paid off, and see the social metadata that surrounds that work.

The new display of information is centered around other people, which seems arbitrary, and necessarily related to anything one effort the creator put out. The photos these other people may interact with and thus be reported on, may not have anything to do with one another. That makes it difficult to measure the result of the time and effort put into the work of art.

TL;DR: the new changes emphasize the viewer of the photos, not the photos themselves, which is the wrong orientation, IMHO.

view photos

Colorado Sands says:

On my desktop I noticed that a contact had recently given me several faves. When I checked his account to verify that this was the correct number, I noticed that it was not and that he had actually given me more faves than the "bell" indicated. When I checked my recent activity, the correct number of faves was listed. Why the discrepancy?

view photos

Flickr Staff

Leticia Roncero says:

johngpt:

I go to the photo, click Reply and comment on what they had said. Notifications doesn't show that I've commented on my photo.
Even after waiting a half hour and refreshing the Notifications page.

Hi John, when you click on a comment link from the Notifications Center page, you will get a modal that lets you scroll through all the comments, (including your own) for that image. You can also reply to the comments directly from that modal, without leaving the Notifications Center page to go to the photo page.

By design, we do not notify you of your own activities -comments or replies you make in your own photos- in the Notification Center, but the person you replied to will get a notification that you replied.

view photos

♛ {Dress Me Up} says:

Leticia Roncero:

Could you please add a button to TURN OFF "ALL" groups notifications, instead of having to click every single one to turn them off, it's a pain in the arse, will take me a full day.

view photos

Lesley (aka fizzybeth) says:

Four notifications of the same fave! This has happened several times the last couple of days on different photos and comments. The new notification system is terrible. I agree with www.flickr.com/photos/warzauwynn/ comment.

view photos

Piedmont Fossil says:

I don't like the new system at all. I want to see the most recent activity listed by order it was received, not based on the order the first comment on that photo was posted as it is now doing in RA. Also in the new notifications page it groups multiple photos commented on by a single person, but does not allow me to see any of the comments without going to each individual photo page. I wish the Notification Page would list all photos in order of most recent activity regardless of who made the comment as it used to do under Recent Activity. I am much more interested in seeing comments organized by photo than by the person making the comment. Please give us the option to arrange activity based solely on time of comment or fave, rather than some organization based on commenter.

view photos

johngpt says:

Leticia Roncero:

What do you meant by 'click on a comment link' and get a modal that lets me scroll through all the comments?

If I click on the comment in a notification, all that happens is that I get the opportunity to leave a comment. No other comments show, nor does anything appear which would allow me to choose to scroll through any comments.

If I click on the name of the person who made the comment, I'm brought to that person's photostream page.

If I click on the tree dots I get to choose Mute, Message, Unfollow or Block.

I've clicked on everything I can find at my Notifications Center page and am not seeing what you've described.

view photos

kittymax says:

In order to make things easier for everyone and comply with members wishes to remain anonymous is it possible to revert back to screen names only for everything? I personally think that this could be the right moment to do this since, as already stated, the RA used screen names and rightly so while the new notifications use true names against all logic if nothing else.

view photos

Mobile Lynn says:

I totally agree with Bill Amidon above. I have reverted back to the RA as the notification centre does not work for me, it takes 3 times as long to use, I am fed up with continuously having to hit load more each time I return to the page and I am now using spreadsheets to track my images as I can no longer rely on RA or the notification centre to pick up all my images since the changes. That is not green or cost effective for me and I will not be renewing my 2 pro memberships if this is not improved. On RA I could see the title of my image and the last 8 or 9 comments on the one photo meaning I could track most of what I wanted to see on each photo without leaving RA. When I had to leave RA by clicking on the title of the image a simple back arrow took me back to where I had been - wonderful. On notification centre I have no title, I only see the last comment so am FORCED to click into each image to see what has happened which is much slower and when beyond the bottom of the page in NC I have to scroll to the bottom of the page and press load more. Its rubbish. Please give us back what we had, it worked wonderfully. Who asked for these appalling changes to be done?

view photos

Arx Zyanos says:

Hi Leticia,

I think, the new version is better, but I don't like, that I have no fave counter in the mobile app now. This is a "no go".
As a group admin I really like the group notifications.

Many greetings.
Arx

view photos

InnerTigger says:

please fix the mobile app so it shows notifications.

view photos

VFR Photography says:

Leticia Roncero:

This simply wasn't necessary and feels more like "busy work" just for the sake of calling something "new"... One can't polish a... Now some of my groups are closing (I certainly don't blame the admins) because of the incredible nuisance that has been forced upon everyone (yet again). If I desired Facebook-like, notify-me-about-every-breath-the-site-makes notifications, I'd probably just post on FB like all the kids (haven't signed in there for years for the nuisance-factor). I really don't know why I continue posting to a dying venue in the first place. smh

view photos

axel :)( says:

please please please go back to the previous version !!!!!

view photos

Meino NL says:

Dorota.S - !:

Well said Dorota, it's allready a disaster. I'm afraid they don't listen.

view photos

phil anker says:

Using the Notifications menu when somebody has commented on a photo I commented on with the drop down menu I get the following options;

Mute this notification
Send a message
Follow Joe Blogs
Block Joe Blogs

This reminds me of a trailer I saw on tv for one of those shows where vacuous people are keen to get their 5 minutes of fame thrown together on an island. There was a heated discussion between two of them (isn`t there always) and the last comment was "If this was the real world you would be blocked!" These are people that live their whole life on social media and the ultimate sanction is to block somebody.
Please do not let this site turn into a clone of Facebook with the ability to block somebody so easily with your planned changes. The New Notification in it`s current guise will never be a replacement for RA.
The users of this site are quite happy with the way it is, in fact the USP is that it is the way it is and not trying to be Facebook or Instagram.

view photos

Carla@ says:

phil anker:

Well said, I agree. Flickr is now a disaster but they do not listen.

view photos

Picture post. says:

The old RA works on a desktop it only takes 2 minutes to load.

view photos

efo says:

I admin several groups. Until this change, I could always see (in Notifications) which groups had pending photos submitted for me to approve. This has gone away, and I now have to go back to the Groups feed to see where there are unapproved photos.

As an admin, the ability to easily see which groups needed me to approve images was huge. I'm thinking this change is a bug.
efo edited this topic 6 weeks ago.

view photos

Piedmont Fossil says:

There is so much wrong with this I don't know where to begin. Please go back to the old version. The new Notification page does not list or track the comments I made. Nor does it track other's comments made after me unless they specifically mention me, so I cannot track a conversation thread on a photo I've previously commented upon. When someone comments on multiple photos you don't get to see any of their comments on the Notifications page and you have to go to each photo to see their comments and then you lose your place when you try to come back to the Notifications page. Unless I mute tracking on a specific photo I've commented on, I want to see every comment that comes in on that photo, and track all such photos chronologically by latest comment - including my own!

view photos

verona39 says:

New Notification Center does not work on my laptop at all. I cannot open anything in it. Very frustrating.
The old Bell worked just fine.
This change was so unnecessary and it flopped, but admin. would not admit that. They are turning photography in Flickr into yet more elaborate computer game of chase for views and comments.
verona39 edited this topic 6 weeks ago.

view photos

kurtwolf303 says:

verona39:

They stubbornly ignore the comments and would not face reality.

Perhaps "They" live in a alternative reality....? ;-) ;-) ;-)

view photos

Bill Amidon says:

kurtwolf303:

Hi - just checked out your photostream, good stuff!
I read your comment with interest:

"I am also a member of 500px and fotocommunity.de. As always in life it is better to have more options...;-)"

I was familiar with 500px, but was unaware of fotocommunity.de. As I am not a member of either, I was wondering how you would compare them to Flickr (now, and after RA is gone).

view photos

mcnod says:

Bill Amidon:

As I am not a member of either, I was wondering how you would compare them to Flickr

Totally off topic. One of flickr features is flickrmail - perhaps give it a try.

view photos

Bill Amidon says:

mcnod:

Off topic? I disagree. We're discussing alterations to Flickr which will fundamentally change the experience of using it, perhaps not for you, but for many of us. What could be more relevant, right here on this thread, than a comparison of Flickr and other photography sites? If you find this exchange irrelevant simply ignore it - give it a try.

view photos

mcnod says:

Bill Amidon:

Off topic?

Yes, clearly off topic. This thread is not about other websites, and how they compare to flickr (that IS what I highlighted from your post), it is specifically about the new Notification Center - issues, bugs, likes and dislikes.

view photos

kittymax says:

Likes? That sounds a bit like Facebook!

view photos

ernstkers says:

Staff:

As we were designing the new Notifications center, we were straddling a divide: build a notifications center that is familiar and recognizable to new people who come to Flickr for the first time and expect modern notifications, while providing parity of features from RA for those who like RA. The new notifications have nearly every feature that was in RA, though the data is presented quite differently and in ways that mirror other notifications systems.

www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157718447996213/page6/#...

In an earlier response, we also mentioned that we focused on building an entirely new system because Recent Activity is built on an old model for notifications that isn’t common on the internet anymore and thus a big hurdle for new members joining Flickr. For this reason, notifications groups together activity by just that - the activity that’s happening, rather than the photo.

www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157719738061621/page10/...

I understand that the old RA page is based on outdated coding. For sure the UI of the old RA page could be improved. So a renewal makes sense. But the basics, just like most basics of Flickr's original design were excellent. That other websites later made notifications pages of lesser quality and because of that are defined as "more modern", doesn't make they have a better UI.
For a not very long period I have been on Facebook. I left for other reasons, but what I never got used to was the horrible UI of Facebook. I never could find my way on it. Perhaps the UI of Fb is more modern than the old Flickr RA page, but it's also of far less quality. The new Notifications Centre reminds me: more modern is not by definition better.

For this reason, notifications groups together activity by just that - the activity that’s happening, rather than the photo.

Wasn't Flickr meant to be about photo's?

view photos

qrp ham guy says:

If you don't give the choice of reverting back to the old format, a lot of pro members will cancel on you

view photos

- ̗̀Ϻomo ̖́-ღ says:

This is purely a suggestion for maybe something in the future, and apologizes if I've missed conversation about it elsewhere: Is there maybe anyway we can get a "select all" for group-related organizing (such as if we're trying to manage the notifications by groups, for example). I'm in a bazillion groups (which is certainly my fault from my newb days of using Flickr), but it's miserable to have to go through them one by one just to turn off notifications, or leave groups for that matter. I'd much prefer to be given the option to just toggle them all at once and then de-select the ones I don't actually want to do whatever I'm toggling them for with rather than have to click through them all individually.

view photos

Bill Amidon says:

"The new notifications have nearly every feature that was in RA, though the data is presented quite differently and in ways that mirror other notifications systems."

Precisely the problem. First, there's no rational reason why Flickr should mirror other notifications systems. Flickr has (had) something superior. The entire problem is summarized in the words "The new notifications have nearly every feature that was in RA, though the data is presented quite differently..." That's it in a nutshell.The entire issue revolves around how the data is presented. RA is (was) photocentric, user-friendly, logical, useful, and intuitive, while notifications takes that same data and gives it to us in a far less meaningful and useful way.

view photos

Ida Pyl says:

I tried it now several times - it does not work for me.
the worst thing is the "x commented on y pictures", without showing the individual comments.

I would ask you to also keep the current view

view photos

Kernowfile says:

Bill Amidon:

Your latest post is absolutely correct.

view photos

johngpt says:

Leticia Roncero:

What do you meant by 'click on a comment link' and get a modal that lets me scroll through all the comments?

If I click on the comment in a notification, all that happens is that I get the opportunity to leave a comment. No other comments show, nor does anything appear which would allow me to choose to scroll through any comments.

If I click on the name of the person who made the comment, I'm brought to that person's photostream page.

I've clicked on everything I can find at my Notifications Center page and am not seeing what you've described.

view photos

qorp38 says:

I don't need all the extra comments from a photo that I commented on. Keep it Simple.

view photos

MetaGrrrl says:

The new Notification Center view is much harder to parse. I can't just get the full context of the activity at a glance.

The Recent Activity page reads left to right starting with the emphasis where it belongs on the photo and who it's from and it's basically a mini view of visiting that photos page.The visual presentation of the conversation is like it is when I'm in the page and thus I can tell what's happening.

Looking at the same notification in the Notifications Center it reads like this [round icon of person] [BOLDED PERSON NAME] [verbed a noun] [BOLDED LONG SET OF WORDS] [photo thumbnail but no who it's from] [three dot menu for doing stuff I do rarely, like unfollowing or blocking].

This seems designed against conversation with a group of friends. What they said is bolded and presented in a wide block which is hard to read, as well as being shown outside its conversational context.

This is a massive usability step backwards and I really, really, really do not like it.

view photos

modwyer78 says:

Fantastic :-). Nice job and good to see development. Thank you Flickr team

view photos

dajavous says:

I haven’t been able to see Recent Activity page since two days after I saw a banner asking me to explore the bell page. Every time I go to RA it displays the Flickr broken page ‘Bad panda’. Shouldn’t you be putting some explanatory text on that link saying the RA page has been withdrawn, to reflect the reality of the situation?

view photos

MetaGrrrl says:

MetaGrrrl:

Also, the Notification Center doesn't have the same activity when I view All. There are multiple conversation on photos that are completely omitted, though they are from the same user with the same CC licensing and I commented in all of them.

I do like seeing the "sent you a message" notifications in the stream. That'd be nice to add to Recent Activity.

A further problem of the lack in Notification Center of the conversation context provided in Recent Activity is that to make sense of their comment in reply to me, I'd need to go to the photo.

Ditto when a photo sparks a small burst of conversation. Only seeing Alice's comment for "Alice and 2 others commented on your photo" and not the two others makes Recent Activity no longer a one-stop shop.

It seems like Flickr is trying to only design for one-to-many conversation instead of small but resilient networks of friends plus inclusive open edges for new folks to join conversations.

That "our little gathering but you're welcome to join in" IS THE SECRET SAUCE, y'all. It facilitates lasting relationships and lasting relationships mean lasting shared spaces which means people want to keep their Flickr memberships.

view photos

andrewrosspoetry says:

Recent activity is not sequential! When I click "Next" it often show a mix of previous activity.

view photos

Katy Madigan *available to model* says:

Hate it. Who cares about group description updates? iIt's just clutter. Rule: KISS. What a pity Flickr will pay no attention AT ALL to what members think.

view photos

Lillian Rodriguez says:

Personally, I find the New Notifications TOO SLOW and TOO CROWDED for my liking. Don't care to see group updates or comments on photos I've already commented on.

Prefer to see the notifications the old way, as it was easier to respond to comments on my own photos. My rule is also: KISS.

view photos

lichtspuren says:

Really don't like that I can't mute photos in my recent activity anymore! There are photos that get hundreds of comments and I don't want to read them all.

view photos

Lincs L&P says:

Perhaps I should disable comments since I struggle to see what people have said without a lot of faffing about. Agree with andrewrosspoetry:, put it back to how it was and stop messing about to make it worse. Many are paying for this awful service at the moment.

view photos

kittymax says:

I would have thought that, when something new is ‘rolled out’ be it a beta version or the real thing, it would be ready for use needing perhaps just a few minor adjustments or fixing almost inevitable glitches because of the complexity involved. Reading through the comments of fellow members, including those who are prepared to accept the new notifications with open arms, there are complaints about many obvious things like group clutter for example, which incidentally is still around. How come nobody thought of dealing with them before roll out? Wasn’t everything checked prior to roll out? Afterall, everybody on both sides of the staff/members divide should have known that there are millions of members using millions of groups. Group blasts were purposely included without anyone ever imagining that very serious problems could arise and would need to be rectified preferably before roll out. If it was rolled out in the knowledge that there would be major problems, that simply makes things even worse. At the moment we are picking up the pieces VERY SLOWLY that should have already been picked up before roll out and as a result wasting valuable time and causing unnecessary misery and frustration. Was there a target date to be met and if so why? Otherwise, what was the rush? Did Flickr really think that everything was shipshape before roll out?...
kittymax edited this topic 6 weeks ago.

view photos

johnb/Derbys/UK says:

Bill Amidon:

Spot on but flickr staff dont seem to notice all the negative comments on the change i hate it.

view photos

Alan.Rust says:

I am most probably missing something, or have not set up the preferences correctly but I have noticed that sometimes the number of notifications (in brackets) do not match the number of highlighted notifications, for instance today it showed I had (19) notifications yet I only had 3 highlighted.

I can confirm that those after the top 3 were old notifications.

What am I missing or not doing ?

view photos

Kernowfile says:

Flickr, you have done the equivalent of trying to re-invent the wheel but you have failed to make sure it is round. I think you are in for a bumpy ride.

view photos

kittymax says:

Question; Can anyone hazard a guess as to how long it should take for a top programmer to fix that blasted blast clutter problem once and for all and once he or she has been given the go-ahead: A few days, a few weeks, a few months...? I need cheering up!
kittymax edited this topic 6 weeks ago.

view photos

amazingstoker says:

In notifications is there a way to see comments AND faves on my photos? I seem to be able to select one or the other but not both.

view photos

Alles Klaar says:

Katy Madigan *available to model*:

Agreed. I just noticed an Admin Blast update in one of the many groups that I am a member of which noted the following:

"Let´s make it easy and simple...your picture was rejected by an Admin? Don´t take it personally. That´s it! Messages about "Why did my picture get rejected?" will be ignored and result in a ban."

The poor old Admin of that group has probably been deluged by such messages since the change to Notifications ... which wouldn't have happened in the past no doubt!

So dear Flickr, please cheer us all up and go back to the situation as it was before. This change is not good at all.

view photos

mhardy6647 says:

Leticia Roncero:

Crowded and chaotic. May we please have a choice between Classic and the New Coke... I mean, Flikr Notifications?

A need to manifest constant change is not very 2021.

view photos

Latium says:

On the ''improved'' notification page I have one friend, who I am informed, commented on 24 of my images.

Trouble is, I can only see 12, and there is no option to see the other 12!

This ''improvement'' is a bloody debacle.

Wake up Flickr and admit you got it wrong and return to the original, at least it was comprehensible.
Latium edited this topic 6 weeks ago.

view photos

~sin~star~ says:

I dislike the new notifications intensely!! At least with recent activity I was able to see each picture individually and see who recently faved it and how many faves I had for that picture....THAT is what I want to know, not that so and so faved 12 pictures, etc......this is absolutely useless to me, why do you continue to "improve" what is not broken?? Don't you have better things to do?? I have been on here less and less, I don't look forward to it anymore......

view photos

~sin~star~ says:

Latium: I concur!!

view photos

~sin~star~ says:

Comments are overwhelmingly negative....change is not always good. Please give us a choice!

view photos

amazingstoker says:

Notifications is a nightmare to use, a photo's comments and faves are split all over the place.

PLEASE group the comments and faves by photo or at least give an option to do so.

I really don't care what order the comments and faves came in, I do care about how people react to my images.

view photos

Streets.and.Portraits says:

Seems someone messed up the site and now it is very difficult to admit and revert back. Flickr says "bye bye" to real amateur photographers. This is how I feel. There is change from photo centric site to comment and group centric site.

view photos

kurtwolf303 says:

DrLensCap:

Well said....and true....

view photos

Nobby knipst says:

The end of Prepaid Pro Membership next spring will be the end of Flickr for me! The chaos is enough for me, I don't pay so much money for it. Quitting time.

view photos

Nobby knipst says:

Addendum: after the first big (and bad) flickr relaunch, thousands of users left, but flickr is not getting smart. Now it will happen again. flickr users who pay a lot of money for use are not beta testers!

view photos

fksr says:

I'd like to be able to turn off group notifications altogether, or at least turn off certain types of group notifications.

view photos

Mobile Lynn says:

Yes again Bill Amidon has it spot on. This is a photo site. I want to see photo by photo how my photo is doing, what comments it is getting, what faves and how it is progressing through each group with the awards given to it. The old RA centre gave me exactly what I needed as a photographer, why have you taken away something we want and replaced it with something that does not work for the great majority of your paying users!!

view photos

amazingstoker says:

Mobile Lynn:

This is a photo site. I want to see photo by photo how my photo is doing,

+1

view photos

Lesley (aka fizzybeth) says:

Mobile Lynn:

Yes!!

view photos

Latium says:

Mobile Lynn:

Mobile Lynn:

+2

view photos

Carla@ says:

Mobile Lynn:

Yes Lynn !!
This is a photo site and many of us are paying users.

view photos

kurtwolf303 says:

Latium:

Mobile Lynn:

+3
kurtwolf303 edited this topic 6 weeks ago.

view photos

Jan 130 says:

I am so busy as an admin of our step-up groups, Flickr already takes up too much of my time (voluntarily) but now it's worse. I pay for Pro membership. I have been enjoying Flickr for the kindness and personal contact I have with our members through the years... but this is a step too far. If you get rid of Recent Activity, I will be extremely tempted to leave. Do you want to get rid of loyal members like so many here? Let the people who like 'notifications' have them. That's fine - but please, please, keep Recent Activity the way it was and allow us that PAID FOR facility. It's my first point of call every time I come on Flickr. It's logical.

view photos

johngpt says:

Jan 130:

Well said.

view photos

johngpt says:

dajavous:

Knock on wood, I'm still seeing my Recent Activity albeit with the adverse changes previously mentioned throughout this thread.

view photos

johngpt says:

Leticia Roncero:

What do you mean by 'click on a comment link' and get a modal that lets me scroll through all the comments?

johngpt edited this topic 6 weeks ago.

view photos

phil anker says:

I along with many members left Flickr for other sites the last time major changes were made against users wishes. Many of us eventually returned when the site was changed back to something along the lines of what it previously was.
Please do not go back to the days of 2013 and the mayhem that ensued following a so called upgrade and redesign.
We were recently asked by the new owners of Flickr to help the site by paying more and users were encouraged to take out Pro membership to help fill the coffers. I think it is time to start listening to those users. All we seem to be getting at the moment is " I hear what you are saying, but..."

view photos

Tricolor Brian says:

DrLensCap:

Exactly! Flickr needs to stop fixing stuff that ain't broke. But, one thing you could fix is to put the page numbers of albums and photostreams at the top of the page, in addition to the bottom. It's kind of annoying to have to scroll to the bottom of a page to go on to the next. Seriously, this IS annoying...

view photos

decembre says:

johngpt:
About:
"What do you mean by 'click on a comment link' and get a modal that lets me scroll through all the comments?"
Yes, i agree, that's not very clear.

For each action possible, an icon or an an explanation on hover should solve this.

view photos

kurtwolf303 says:

phil anker :

I was one of the Pros that helped to fill the coffers.
I`m not sure anymore that it was the right decision.
kurtwolf303 edited this topic 6 weeks ago.

view photos

hélène chantemerle says:

Not so good for me. Too much informations I don't care. I prefered the old one, more simple.

view photos

amazingstoker says:

amazingstoker edited this topic 6 weeks ago.

view photos

mdiepraam (50 mln views!) says:

Alan.Rust:

I am most probably missing something, or have not set up the preferences correctly but I have noticed that sometimes the number of notifications (in brackets) do not match the number of highlighted notifications, for instance today it showed I had (19) notifications yet I only had 3 highlighted.

I can confirm that those after the top 3 were old notifications.

What am I missing or not doing ?

You're not missing anything, NC is missing those notifications itself.

If you go to the app, you will see those 16 other notifications that have simply vanished or been 'forgotten' or omitted in the desktop version of NC.

The app is now the place to go if you do not want miss anything, but since the app does not facilitate grouped replies (so replying to multiple people in one comment) I find myself constantly switching back and forth between the app and the desktop version.

To put it bluntly, apart from ruining RA, Flickr has also rolled out a clearly defective version of the desktop NC. People are right to be angry.

view photos

Latium says:

~sin~star~:

Thanks

This thread has been closed by Flickr Staff.

(1101 to 1200 of 1320 replies in New Flickr Notifications Center and Settings available to all members.)
Subscribe to a feed of stuff on this page... Feed – Subscribe to help discussion threads