Help / The Help Forum

This thread has been closed by Flickr Staff.

Hot Topics

[Official Thread] Have an idea for Flickr? Share it here.
Latest: 8 hours ago
New Flickr Notifications Center and Settings available to all members.
Latest: 5 weeks ago
[Updated April 26, 2021] Flickr is moving payments to Stripe
Latest: 11 months ago
Welcome to the Flickr Help Forum! Click here to get started and to read our Forum Guidelines.
Latest: 17 months ago

Current Discussion

Feed page vs. People page
Latest: 61 minutes ago
why my safe photos are beeing restriced by the bot?
Latest: 4 hours ago
Cannot Download Photos from Web Browser on iPhone
Latest: 4 hours ago
[Identified] No pictures photostrip or else!
Latest: 6 hours ago
Sudden drop in overall views.
Latest: 7 hours ago
[BUG] The "photos not in a set" filter isn't working in Organizr
photos being stolen?
Extremely low views and faves
Latest: 11 hours ago
[Acknowledged by Flickr Staff] Notifications - not showing older than 2hrs
Latest: 11 hours ago
[Resolved] cannot cancel Pro
Latest: 12 hours ago
Latest: 16 hours ago
Pages aren´t loading
Latest: 32 hours ago
More...

Search the Help Forum

New Flickr Notifications Center and Settings available to all members.

Flickr Staff

Leticia Roncero says:

Updates:

9/16/21: Summary of latest reply. If you have further questions or feedback about using the Notifications Center, please write to our Support team. The Recent Activity page will be sunset on December 15, 2021. Our latest reply also lists upcoming improvements that we'll be implementing based on your feedback and additional community feedback that we're taking into consideration.

9/08/21: Acknowledged feedback regarding seeing the total number of faves that a photo has and seeing all of your photos that someone has recently faved (currently notifications is only surfacing 12)

8/17/21: Acknowledged 2 known issues (slow loading and not seeing recent faves)

=======

Today, after months of development, feedback rounds with our members, and hard work, we are continuing our rollout from 25% to 100% of the new Flickr Notifications Center and Notifications Settings pages.

What does this mean?

We’ve expanded the current notifications from the bell icon at the top of Flickr and introduced a new tab for groups you admin. We’ve also introduced a Notifications Center page so you can see your notifications with more screen real estate.

What’s new?

The Notifications Center
The Notifications Center is a rebuilt version of the Recent Activity page designed to surface all of the latest activity related to your Flickr experience. To access the Notifications Center, click on the bell icon in the navigation bar at the top of Flickr, and at the bottom of the dropdown, you’ll see the link that used to read “View Recent Activity” now reads “View all notifications.” When you click that, you’ll be taken to the new Notifications Center, where you’ll be able to access all your notifications, filter your notifications by type (ie.: faves, group invitations, comments on your photos, etc.), and check the latest activity on your photos, groups, and conversations.

Notifications Settings Page
The Notifications Settings page allows you to turn on or mute notifications by type. This page gives you control over your in-site notifications as well as email notifications to decide what you’re notified about, how you’re notified, and even how often. To access the Notifications Settings page, click on the bell icon in the navigation bar at the top of Flickr and you’ll notice a new gear icon that will take you to the Notifications Settings page.

Group Notifications
For groups, we’ve added new notification types to let you know when admins update the group admin blast, as well as group description and rules. Additionally, group admins will now see notifications for the groups they admin as a separate tab so they can easily sort out the priority updates for their groups from personal notifications and from groups they don’t admin. If you’re not interested in receiving group notifications, you can turn them off on your Notifications Settings page. Please note that there’s no option to turn off notifications for all groups at once, so please be intentional about which groups you mute.

New ‘Options’ in your Groups page
As we are rolling out the new Notifications, you’ll also see updates to your Groups list page, where all of your groups are displayed. We’ve changed the name of “Faved Groups” to “Pinned Groups” to avoid conflating with the action of faveing photos/videos. Pinning a group will keep that group at the top of your list, and will ensure you get notified of any new group discussions posted to that group. There’s also a new column called Options, which lets you manage group notifications, show or hide groups from your activity feed, and more. If you desire, you can use the Options column on the Groups list page to mute/unmute each of your groups. To pin a group on your Groups list page, select the Options column three-dot menu next to the desired group and choose “Pin to top of page.” If you want a group pinned to the top of the page, but you don’t want group notifications, you can mute the group from the same menu, or from your Notifications Settings page.

Comment modal in Notifications (how to see all comments made for one of your photos)
When you click on a comment notification from the Notifications Center page, you will get a modal that lets you scroll through all the comments on the photo without leaving the Notifications dropdown or Notifications Center. You can also reply to the comments from that modal. For people who like to go through all their comment threads without context switching, this should be a useful workflow for you now.

You can see a video demo of this in action here.

Archiving (changes to how some notifications are presented)
With these changes, you’ll now see notifications for recent activity on your photos, discussions, and groups, rather than seeing every previous interaction associated with that photo/video/group, etc. Let's take an example:

In the old format, let's say I had uploaded a photo five years ago, and it had 45 faves already. If a couple of folks named Pat and John came along and faved it today, the notification would read, "Pat and John and 45 other people faved your photo." We were showing the count of the entire history of faves on the photo in the notification, even though some of the faves might have been five years old.

In the new format with this hypothetical example, you'll get a notification that says, "Pat and John faved your photo." We're surfacing what has happened recently and seems most relevant.

Likewise, we've changed some of the models for how notifications are presented, with the intent to cut down on the noise when, for example, one person faves a bunch of your photos. In the past, if Pat faved ten of your photos, you would have received ten separate notifications. With the new model, we'll now simply show you a batch notification that says "Pat faved ten photos'' with thumbnails for those ten photos. Here is a visual example.

Changes to the Recent Activity page
If you regularly use Recent Activity, you're going to notice a change to the navigation at the bottom of that page. Because we are archiving old notifications as described above, we're not able to maintain pagination at the bottom of Recent Activity. So where you previously could see page 1, 2, 3, etc., until the last page, you will now use a "next →" button to navigate. We’ve added a "start" button as well so that you don't have to use the back arrow on your browser.
If you notice that items you previously muted are showing up for you with new reactions in Recent Activity, this is due to the way the archiving data is stored. If you want to mute comments on a particular photo/video, for example, you’ll need to do that in the new Notifications to have it work on Recent Activity.

If you still regularly use Recent Activity and haven't explored the new Notifications, now is a good time to try the new system. We have spent the past few months monitoring the performance of this new experience and working to incorporate feedback to make sure that everything that you can view in Recent Activity is available in the Notifications Center or elsewhere on Flickr. We are keeping Recent Activity while everyone gets used to the new notifications center, but our plan is to eventually remove this page and focus on making notifications the go-to experience for keeping up with your activity on Flickr. We'll continue fine-tuning notifications, so if you notice anything that doesn't appear to be working as it should or you're unable to accomplish a specific workflow in notifications that you could in recent activity, please let us know here. We've also included an FAQ in our Help Center.

Answers to some FAQs about the new Notifications Center:

“The new system is missing some notifications. For example, I can’t find [X] notification type.”
We built the new Notifications Center with feature parity in mind, which means you should be able to see all the same types of notifications (and other new ones) that you used to see on the Recent Activity page. If you have lots of new activity that you need to manage, the Notifications Center page lets you filter your notifications by type. For example, show only notifications for comments, or only for group invitations, etc. You can select different filters depending on what you want to see. Click on the “All Notifications” dropdown at the top of the notifications list to apply filters.

“On the Recent Activity page, I was able to see individual replies and comments without having to open the actual photo page.”
You can do this from the new Notifications Center as well! When you click on a comment link from the Notifications Center page, you will get a modal that lets you scroll through ALL the comments for that image. You can also reply to the comments from that modal, without leaving the Notifications Center page.

“I want to see the list of people who faved my photo(s) without having to navigate to the actual photo page.”
Similarly to how we brought the comment modal into the new notifications after feedback that folks wanted to be able to see all the comments on a photo without having to go to the photo page, we are looking at how we can bring the fave modal that is currently on the photo page (e.g. “[person 1], [person 2] and [n more people] faved your photo”) into the Notifications Center and under the bell icon. We’ve wanted to update that modal component to have more functionality, so this is a perfect time to do so. We’ll work on that after we get 100% of the community into the new system.
Posted at 11:40AM, 26 August 2021 PDT ( permalink )
cabb88 (staff) edited this topic 5 weeks ago.

(1201 to 1300 of 1320 replies in New Flickr Notifications Center and Settings available to all members.)
view photos

Me1anny says:

I do not like this new system of notifications. it is too complicated, the notifications that are important to me are the comments on my photos by fellow flickr members, not the rejections from group admins, not the myriad of changes to group rules.

Please take notice of all these complaints for once and revert to the original system of notifications. all these people complaining can't possibly be wrong. Members know best and are being ignored.
Posted 6 weeks ago. ( permalink )

view photos

edlp2k says:

Lynn-2014:

Re: Is the mute option gone? The definitive answer - Yes and No

There is a "Turn Off Others Comments" toggle switch hidden under the gear icon under the new Notification Bell. This works fine for items in the Bell, but. as far as I can tell, it does not mute any comments which appear in the legacy drop down Recent Activity list. So, yes, the mute button is kinda gone, at least on the old menu.

(FWIW - One difference between the two mute options is that the new mute toggle is universal but the old mute button was individual.)

Comments from Flickr suggest that the legacy Recent Activity drop down menu will eventually be phased out.

Hope this helps.

view photos

vauxnut says:

Why did you do this change? My notifications seem to disappear and re-appear and there is no way I can see all of my images that have been made favourites.
Don't you guys in the back room at Flickr have anything better to do than mess up?
Old adage - if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Obviously you are all doing this to justify your salaries!
Just crap!!!

view photos

*ines_maria says:

the new notification system would be great. but actually i have the same problem as so many others. Notifications seem to disappear and reappear and there is no way to see all my pictures that have been added to favorites nor see the new followers. the problem also exists in the app. could you please fix this bug. that would be great. greetings from Vienna !
*ines_maria edited this topic 5 weeks ago.

view photos

Bogger4. says:

Jan 130:

I agree Jan, I just want RA back to what is was before you tampered with it, and keep the new NC for a few members that like it.
I find the NC system so cumbersome to do a simple task as to read the comments on my photos, and I don't want to know when members make comments on other members photos.

view photos

erwan 2949 says:

I'd like to know if the total activity of Flickr has changed since these modifications and if up or down ???

view photos

Clement Tang * says:

Leticia Roncero:

Again, you have not answered my question from 3 days ago:-

I just checked the "Group Invitations", there are still 8 items occupying the top of the page, ranging from 9 years to 4 months old. Those are the ones I rejected / accepted long time ago. The 3 dots on the right hand side doesn't respond at all. I can't mute them.

In the last few days the new invitations I dealt with have disappeared. That part is fine.

Please refer this to your IT staff to deleted them. 8 of them in total. Thanks.

view photos

stluciastmartin says:

I get notifications of people commenting on my photos while using the flickr app on my phone, but the new notification page shows no comments at all on the actual website???

view photos

kittymax says:

What’s in a name? In some contexts a name can be everything and if you think that this comment is off topic I suggest reading it to the end before drawing conclusions. Apparently, the term ‘screen name’ dates back a long way. British born actor Archibald Alexander Leach was better known to the general public by his ‘screen name’: Cary Grant (1932). Screen names were very popular (like pseudonyms for authors) in order to protect their families’ privacy. The term has become more popular than ever today for much the same reason; only in a slightly different context.
When I joined Flickr in 2006 a screen name was mandatory as a safe way of identifying a member within the community even though a true name could be used as screen name if so desired. All was well until sometime around 2014 when suddenly true names appeared on banner headings alongside the screen names, if different. This defies all logic; it’s like an author putting his real name in brackets after his pseudonym. Not only does this constitute a breach of privacy but also it leads to confusion.
One name (the screen name) is being used for faves and RA (faves and comments) while the other (the true name) for comments on other peoples photo pages as well as on the new right up to date notifications page. I personally think that simplicity should always take precedence over complexity whenever possible if only to avoid confusion. As for privacy, I simply deleted my true name not so much for privacy reasons (I still use it in my descriptions and Flickr mails) but to simplify things for other people (one name for everything) though sadly they didn’t return the compliment. I would like to think that we could count on Flickr to harmonise things by simply using one name (the screen name) for everything as it was in the beginning! This shouldn’t be too difficult, but very logical and helpful.
Posted 5 weeks ago. ( permalink )

view photos

my.travels says:

Deleted

view photos

ChristianofDenmark says:

For the third time - I really don't want the changes !! Why change something that's working fine ?? And furthermore - it's making the entire Flickr very slow !!

Why don't you just change it back ?? A vast majority of these comments are negative, so please admit you made a mistake and let's have the previous version again ...
ChristianofDenmark edited this topic 5 weeks ago.

view photos

MabelAmber️***Pluto5339***MysteryGuest says:

ChristianofDenmark:

Why don't you just change it back ??

To my knowledge Flickr did just that, trashing a major change, only *once* since its inception, thereby giving in to members' overwhelming negative feedback, and it concerned the NPE (New Photo Experience), the all black photo page:

www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157645000450855/

I reckon chances are slim there'll be any "back-changing" now...

view photos

GSB Photography says:

Leticia Roncero:

Leticia, we request a return to the previous Recent Activity feature. The new system isn't just a "new thing to get used to", it really is too cluttered and does not quickly provide the tailored information many of us use on a daily basis.

If however FLICKR leadership has determined that there's "no going back" and the new Notifications is the way of the future for FLICKR, then we do request the following changes to Notifications:

1. Default Admin blast and banner updates to OFF; only a tiny fraction of the community needs this information. This will actually reduce both clutter and bandwidth requirements to some degree.

2. Show all the individuals who have Faved a photo, not just "GSB and 15 other people". Many of us return the kindness of a Fave, and the "15 other people" is not really useful without links. Looking them up on the individual photo takes a lot of time if hundreds have faved it: the names of those latest to Fave are stuck last in the drop down menu there.

3. The pop-up from clicking on the "white bell" takes far far too long to populate. But clicking on View All Notifications actually works faster. Why bother with the pop-up window? Why not go straight to a New Notifications page set up to our preferences rather than defaulted to View All Notifications, without all those "comments on photos we commented on" (a completely useless feature for most of us)?

Finally, overall, please do NOT try and make FLICKR more like Instagram or Facebook. We absolutely do NOT want "trendy". To be blunt, "Photography", not "Selfie Narcissism".

Thank you,

Gary
GSB Photography edited this topic 5 weeks ago.

view photos

Sonia ML *** says:

very complicated and cumbersome.
Please leave as it was before

view photos

Mattijsje says:

It was a great photosite. In the last years every change made it worse. Every change was a step in the wrong direction. It's not an easy to handle, easy to comment photosite with a nice open caracter any longer. Friends I've had for many years from all over the world are ready to quit. Last weeks I just missed the mute button, so I had to keep following everything I ever commented on. Now it is completely spoiled. I think you are making it a multi media-site for youngsters and might have a bigger public, but the photographers will go. Go for the money, customers for many many years, go away please. Don't ask if you are not ready to change it back, like at all the bad changes before. Yes it was a very nice photosite, RIP Flickr.

view photos

Jane Statham says:

GSB Photography:

Totally agree.

I'm sure I read somewhere from Staff that the "changes" were being made because the old system was just that old and not great on the newer technology behind the scenes.

That's understandable, as things change, but instead of making us put up with an unworkable system, why not just update the previous one, so it works on the newer format.

This new notifications are far too heavy, takes ages to load and I try and avoid it as much as possible. Which means that I have changed my way of using Flickr and I don't like it.

As said this is not Facebook or any other "trendy" website. It's Flickr and photographs and with like minded people who want to see them, comment easily on someone's work and get easy and fast feedback.

If we have to have change, try updating what we had and leave it at that.

view photos

Colorado Sands says:

"The customer is always right" is a motto or slogan which exhorts service staff to give a high priority to customer satisfaction. It was popularized by pioneering and successful retailers such as Harry Gordon Selfridge, John Wanamaker and Marshall Field. They advocated that customer complaints should be treated seriously.
Colorado Sands edited this topic 5 weeks ago.

view photos

Naturally Casually says:

I feel there should be clickable or hooverable info who are the favers if more than 2 has faved same pic in short time period to easily see latest favers.

But that is great that same person's faves are in same notification, no such flood 😂

view photos

Ad DeCort (NL) says:

Mattijsje:

So true!!!

view photos

jenniferbeinhacker.com says:

mute comments made on others photos and "view all (my) mute items"

earlier in this thread a flickr user wrote:

Re: Is the mute option gone? The definitive answer - Yes and No

There is a "Turn Off Others Comments" toggle switch hidden under the gear icon under the new Notification Bell. This works fine for items in the Bell, but. as far as I can tell, it does not mute any comments which appear in the legacy drop down Recent Activity list. So, yes, the mute button is kinda gone, at least on the old menu.

(FWIW - One difference between the two mute options is that the new mute toggle is universal but the old mute button was individual.)

IF there is such a "turn off others comments" under the "new (?) notification bell......i can't see it or find it.....

so.....how do i mute comments i made and how do i "view" all my mute comments?????????

and what is a "gear" icon that the flickr member mentioned????

view photos

Stephane James says:

Leticia Roncero:

It was a real eye opener to see how many of my images have been rejected from groups and how much "gate keeping" is being done on the platform.

I left quite a few groups as they had been rejecting most of and in some cases all of my images which is completely their prerogative but at the same time no need to waste my time submitting work them.

view photos

Machiel Taal says:

It really is slow and gives me no better information so skip it

view photos

kurtwolf303 says:

Mattijsje:

sad but true

view photos

Ger Bosma says:

I notice a glitch this evening.
An old contact of mine( RdV/zz**) that has been AWOL for a while is shown under the bell icon as having commented four of my images.
(Three an hour ago, one just now)

These however (continue to) fail to show up under the old
www.flickr.com/activity

Looks like a bug.
Maybe because they are not recent uploads?
(7 months to several years ago)

FF 91.02

view photos

Ger Bosma says:

Also both the old recent activity page as well as the bell icon are cripplingly slow and have been like that since this was rolled out.

10 seconds or longer on average.

Especialy www.flickr.com/activity was much faster in the past.

view photos

ChristianofDenmark says:

MabelAmber️***Pluto5339***MysteryGuest:

Thanks for your reply. Just to avoid any misunderstandings I am referring to the new notification layout.

view photos

Duq says:

I tried to let you know what I think of the new notification page but that post was removed because I wasn't positive enough.
Fine to have this new timeline-like page but please leave Recent Activity intact.
Also, you have a bug: when I click the bell icon I don't get a dropdown, it goes straight to the full notifications page. Only on that page when I click the notification bell (but why would I do that?) do I get the dropdown. This is in Chrome.

view photos

Ger Bosma says:

Duq:

Only on that page when I click the notification bell (but why would I do that?) do I get the dropdown.

Actually you will get that on several of the older legacy pages, also here on the HF and in the non-beta group layout.

On the recent activity page I consider that a bug as well, particularly as long as important info is still missing there.

view photos

Flickr Staff

Leticia Roncero says:

Clement Tang *:

Those are the ones I rejected / accepted long time ago

Hi Clement,

A member of our support team will be in contact soon to learn more about your issue. Keep an eye out for an email! Thanks.

view photos

johngpt says:

Leticia Roncero:

I saw up in the Sticky at the top of the page the Comment Modal.
I watched the video.

In the video the operator clicked on a comment.
A dialog box appeared and the operator made a comment.

Then the operator clicked on a comment in a different notification and a short list of comments showed.

I'm sorry but nothing like that happens when I follow the instructions in that video.

The only thing that happens is the dialog box letting me make a comment.

That video seems to imply that one must first make a comment and then the next time one clicks on a comment, then a list of comments shows up?

That doesn't seem logical.

And doesn't address why when I do the exact clicks as the person in the video, I get a very different result.

If the background coding for the old Recent Activity is too old for current internet architecture, why not create a new Recent Activity via current coding practices that performs like the old one?

It seems that I'm reading hundreds of comments at this thread from Flickr users, especially Pro users like myself, that are extremely unhappy.

view photos

unknown quantity says:

johngpt:

Flickr doesn't seem to understand the concept of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

view photos

edlp2k says:

jenniferbeinhacker.com:

Re: The Gear Icon. Okay, maybe that was Too Automotive, so I'll try again--

Click on the white Notification Bell.
There is a mysterious Gray Thing* to the right.
Click on the mysterious Gray Thing.
You should see "Account Settings"
Then click on "E-mail and notifications"
You will find a list of items with on-off toggle switches
One is - "Comments on photos you’ve commented on"
Another is - "Comments on your photos"
Adjust accordingly...

*To me, the mysterious Gray Thing also looks like ...
A settings icon, just like Google.
A studded snow tire
A donut with spikes
A piece of rigatoni pasta
A part from an old pocket watch

Hope this helps

view photos

johngpt says:

I've written so many complaints here about missing features in this Notifications Center that I'm not sure if I've mentioned this one.

We get a notification. There is a thumbnail of the photo at the far right.

There is absolutely nothing in the notification that tells us the title of the photo or the photographer.

Recent activity showed the thumbnail, the photographer's link underneath the thumbnail and the title to the right of the thumbnail.

I really miss knowing what photo to which the notification refers.

view photos

johngpt says:

I'm noticing one positive change in what I see at Notifications Center.

I had been seeing redundant notifications:
So and so mentioned you in a comment at such and such photo and then the comment would follow.

Then there would be a notification:
So and so commented at such and such photo, followed by the same comment.

I'm not seeing that lately, and the style of the notifications has changed to being more simple.

But still, compared to Recent Activity, this Notifications Center is sadly deficient.

I'm seriously considering dropping my Pro account due to how unusable this is for the way that I comment and follow up on activity.

view photos

WanaM3 says:

Your changes were poorly thought out before being initiated and the old system works far better than the new ones. I get too much information that I have little use for as to what is happening in groups and such that I have little interest in. The information that I receive on what is happening on my photos and the others that I have commented on no longer flows seamlessly and I have to go search for it. I didn’t read a lot of the comments, but it would appear that few people are in favor of the changes and yet you persist at implementing those changes. Typical Flickr garbage of Flickr shoving something down the throats of paying customers that does NO ONE ANY GOOD. Don’t listen just as you never do. You know people have a lot of real friends here, but you only care about your petty little changes that NO ONE WANTS. Change it back…but I know you never will. IT DOESN’T WORK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

view photos

Clement Tang * says:

Leticia Roncero:

Looking forward to hearing from them !!!
Clement Tang * edited this topic 5 weeks ago.

view photos

stephencurtin says:

Leticia Roncero:

For those of who need to keep track of specific comments the new system does not work. For those of us who also need to identify each individual who comments the new system does not work. With the format of RA you see that information without having to do one or more additional tasks. I have read this whole thread and your comments. Each response requires multiple efforts you describe to retrieve information that was available with one simple effort. Because Flickr was originally designed to encourage community and dialog between members, access to complicated information was easy to access. This allowed for groups to form, administrators to easy monitor activity, and collaborative relationships to form. This was all accomplished on desktop browsers. These were the golden years of Flickr. Vibrant, cooperative, and exciting. Members supported each other as software, cameras, and lens evolved. For many of us the move from film to digital was only possible because of Flickr and the community of fellow pioneers in that digital revolution. Members were able to develop simple code to increase user function and encourage additional interaction.
That has changed. It has been changing for a number of years as the programers redesign Flickr with out any interest in its history, process, or value. It is clear from your comments and other programers that you were not part of the early history of Flickr, do not use it as a collaborative community to foster growth and skill, nor understand how communities are fostered. Instead many who have commented fear that Flickr has become a poor version of facebook. A dumping ground for snapshots, likes and faves. Nothing that fosters creativity, mastery or comradeship. When reading all the comments in this thread it is clear that there is significant grief and sadness about the direction Flickr is headed.

view photos

Tony / Guy@Fawkes says:

stephencurtin:

You've got that right ! Spot on.

view photos

rockwolf says:

stephencurtin:

Hear! Hear!!

view photos

Carl Vanassche says:

For the last 4 days I have been missing 10 hours of notifications, somewhere between 3 hours ago and 13 hours ago there is nothing

view photos

Kernowfile says:

I went back to an earlier thread on this forum which covered the initial restricted rollout of these changes. I haven't read through the whole thread but enough to get a "flavour" of it.

Right from the start, a majority of commenters appear to be against the new format, pointing out many of the issues still being commented upon. A very small number of points seem to have been accepted and dealt with.

It is not good that so many users are still unhappy with the changes. Whether that extends to a majority of users I obviously don't know, but it is certainly a majority of those posting.

If the changes are due to the need to update the underlying programming, then please update the code to replicate the Recent Activity page from before the changes. Recode the earlier format of the bell icon drop-down. Once that is done, then add the additional items users have asked for that logically and conveniently fit within those recoded pages.

You could retain the Notification Center settings page to allow users to control more precisely what they wish to see.

If necessary, you could add a new page to display additional information that has been requested but which does not logically or conveniently sit within pre-existing pages.
Kernowfile edited this topic 5 weeks ago.

view photos

ChristianofDenmark:

Just to avoid any misunderstandings I am referring to the new notification layout.

What else would you have been referring to? .....

view photos

jenniferbeinhacker.com:

and what is a "gear" icon that the flickr member mentioned????

Click on this link to see an enlarged image of a "gear icon":

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Gear_icon.png

See below for a screenshot of the mentioned "gear icon" on Flickr - it's where the red arrow points to:

GEAR ICON ON FLICKR

view photos

kurtwolf303 says:

stephencurtin:

So true !

view photos

overthemoon says:

The option to leave a comment on a photo where I have already left a comment is totally useless and verging on ridiculous - please restore the "mute" option which I used daily.

view photos

Dave_S. says:

Not a complaint as such, but a something I noticed that may be in need of a tweak - I have not received any notifications of comments on my pictures since the notification system changed.

I do have that option enabled in settings and I have had comments on quite a few pictures, but not been notified of them.

view photos

jenniferbeinhacker.com says:

thanks edlp2k
i clicked on the comments on photos you commentsed on.
maybe now i will see coments on people's photos i comented on.....maybe?

but still no way to view my muted items.

i now see the comments on people's photos i commented on in my recent activity.

BUT....if i want to MUTE them (as i don't need to see others comments on those photos) i have to them go to the comments (in the bell) and mute them from there.
i use to be able to MUTE when the photo appeared in my recent activity.

now a 2 step procress to MUTE photos i have commented on.

2 steps? anyone have a one step way?
jenniferbeinhacker.com edited this topic 5 weeks ago.

view photos

darkeyedredhead says:

After taking some time to try to adapt and embrace the update, I have concluded that this is a terrible update. While it might look updated, the user experience is a massive step backwards. The new system groups the notifications from a single viewer for you but, at the same time, it hides the actual content of the notification. This requires the user to perform additional clicks to see any of the details. Further, it only shows 12 of the photos involved which means that if someone commented on 13 or more photos, you can't even find/view those additional notifications whatsoever.

This update needs to be an optional one for the users because it is wholly unusable from my perspective.

view photos

Mark Eustace says:

I really don't like this update. There are too many mesaages about group admin message/info updates that I have no interest in and as far as I can see, I cannot switch these messages off.

If you can create a setting so that I can disable these types of messages I will be a lot happier with the change.

I also do not like the option to manage individual group messages. I'm a member of lots of groups and have no desire to manage messages from each group.

view photos

louise.woodstock says:

Mark Eustace:

I was annoyed with all the group notifications too and just looked more closely at the settings. Under groups , manage, you can turn off each of the groups. But I still hate the update and the mess it's causing in the RA

view photos

Ger Bosma says:

Leticia Roncero:

For many of us here the
www.flickr.com/activity (/customized) page is still the preferred landing page to see ALL activity on photos.

However, the lack of pagination is no improvement. It is often unclear how many pages there will be fitting the selected time periode e.g. 'in the last day'.

One would expect that the first page will give most or all images that were faved or commented (and people adding to galleries or as a contact etc) during that time window, or at least a minimum of say 25.

Worse still than the first page always falling short of listing all images that meet the criteria, is that when pressing next what actually happens is that a very truncated listing appears.

In my case now starting at the 3rd last image having any activity and then stopping at no 8. (Remember: the first page showing 1 to 15 already. So this is not 'the next page' at all.)

So actually going to the next page is bringing up a lot less info.

Pressing next once more will give another very short and truncated list, now showing only the images that were the 5th last image in having had activity and then stopping at 10.

The first listing had 15 items already, while pressing next twice - also taking 5-8 seconds to load the page - will bring up absolutely no new info whatsoever.

Clearly this is an enormous BUG if I ever saw one.

Pressing next should preferably show a page showing either ALL activity matching the criteria or at least resume from the last result on page 1 (i.e. 16 and down.)

view photos

Kernowfile says:

louise.woodstock:

I looked at the group notifications settings but the problem is that switching them off stops all notifications. I know that not all agree, but I find the image acceptance/rejection notifications useful, and I don't want to turn them off. I'd happily turn the others off but it's "all or nothing" for each group.

I'd like to be able to separately toggle the 5 types of group notifications mentioned further up the thread.

view photos

Ger Bosma says:

And since I got no reply or acknowledgement of this other bug I reported in recent activity, a repost.

NB The problem still persists 20 hours later. Those 4 commented images are NOWHERE to be found under recent activity.

Who knows how many other actions are unaccounted for?

I notice a glitch this evening.
An old contact of mine( RdV/zz**) that has been AWOL for a while is shown under the bell icon as having commented four of my images.
(Three an hour ago, one just now)

These however (continue to) fail to show up under the old
www.flickr.com/activity

Looks like a bug.
Maybe because they are not recent uploads?
(7 months to several years ago)

FF 91.02

view photos

Rasande Tyskar says:

Let's face it, both Recent Activity and the new Bell Notification are absolutely spoiled now (plus notifications on the app). Thanks Flickr for making things worse. Right now it's no fun using Flickr.

view photos

johngpt says:

Leticia Roncero:

I have figured out why I couldn't see the drop down of comments when I would follow the procedure from the instructional video that is provided in the Sticky at the top of each page in this thread.

My computer is too old.

I borrowed a newer computer and logged into my Flickr.
I opened Notifications Center and clicked on a comment in one of the notifications.
Et voilà, the drop down of comments showed just like in the video.

So all I need to do to make this unwieldy Notifications Center behave more correctly is spend $2000 to $3000 USD on a new computer with recent operating system and begin subscribing to Adobe Ps and Lr since none of my apps will run on a newer OS.

I feel so much better now!

view photos

johngpt says:

Another bummer is that I'm realizing that even if Flickr tries to restore Recent Activity to what we all want, it will be with new coding that I'm sure my older system won't utilize well, just as it can't utilize Notifications Center as it should.

view photos

Ger Bosma says:

Another update on the erratic behaviour of the recent activity page, when going to the bottom and selecting next.

(see above: www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157719738061621/7215771...)

People may try to reproduce my steps.

-Go to www.flickr.com/activity (NB still the link in the drop-down menu under YOU at every flickr page)
-If needed, select a longer periode of time, e.g. activity during the last day.
-Reload the page ( unlike the previous version, this is now necessary for the page to update)
-Count the number of different activities being shown (max 15 usually)
-Click next.

And watch in horror.
Not only is this clearly nowhere near a continuation of the next 15 images having received some activity or other.
The order is a total mess too, showing images that had their last activity 16 hours ago listed above ones with much more recent activity.
Other images are missing.
The logic is completely gone.
Also the list is very much truncated, showing only 6 to 8 entries and partly overlapping with page 1 and NOT AT ALL in chronological order.

This NEVER happpened before, trust me.
Ger Bosma edited this topic 5 weeks ago.

view photos

Flickr Staff

Leticia Roncero says:

Clement Tang *:

Looking forward to hearing from them

Hi, we've attempted to contact you via the email address on your account but we're not sure if that’s an accurate email. If you didn't receive our message, please check your 'spam' folder or contact our support team directly here for assistance. Thanks.

view photos

johngpt says:

Even though the new Notifications Center provides a way to see comments by opening a small window through which we can scroll, we still need to click to see those comments.

Recent Activity just had the comments there, showing under the photo title.

Which again brings me to three sad deficiencies in Notifications Center:

Recent Activity showed the photographer's user name under the photo thumbnail.
Nothing like that exists in Notifications.

Recent Activity showed the photo title to the right of the photo thumbnail.
Nothing like that exists in Notifications.

Recent Activity had a red mute button to the right of the photo title.
Now in Notifications we have to click on the three dots and then click on mute notifications.

For those of us who make comments on dozens if not hundreds of photos in a day when we post to a group, this is exceedingly time consuming.

view photos

Félix Abánades says:

Es una odisea estar esperando tanto tiempo cuando clicas en la campanita de notificaciones, para ver los comentarios de tus fotos, tarda una barbaridad y si estas entrando como a si es constantemente tarda mucho en conectarse ¿ porque lo han cambiado a peor? es un desastre, no se ha ganado nada fatal fatal , no estamo para estar perdiendo tiempo mirando haber cuando se conecta muy mal señores de Flickr, muy mal

view photos

Félix Abánades says:

Para aquellos de nosotros que hacemos comentarios sobre docenas, si no cientos, de fotos en un día cuando publicamos en un grupo, esto consume mucho tiempo.

view photos

Bill Amidon says:

Ger Bosma:

Really doesn't matter about pagination or any other bugs that are in Recent Activity now as their plan is to eliminate it entirely, forcing us to use the infuriating Notifications. I suspect scrambling RA was intended to hasten that process. There's a reason so much of this feedback is angry.

view photos

Félix Abánades says:

Seamos realistas, tanto la Actividad reciente como la nueva Notificación de campana están absolutamente estropeadas ahora (más las notificaciones en la aplicación). Gracias Flickr por empeorar las cosas. Ahora mismo no es divertido usar Flickr. Me aburre mucho Flickr es un desastre , cuando las cosas se cambian es para mejorarlas, no para empeorarlas

view photos

Ger Bosma:

However, the lack of pagination is no improvement.

It is a pain in the butt.

view photos

my.travels says:

1) I hope someone saved the script of original, unbroken version of Recent Activity for just in case a revert back. Otherwise, problem is much bigger.

2) There are time order issues with the new notifications page. When I looked at notifications about three quarters ago, there was no notification about one of my images. Now, it is shown that particular image was faved 1 hour ago. This happens often.

view photos

WalrusTexas says:

I fear you plan to eliminate the Recent Activity page, and replace it with the new Notifications tool. Let me just say what I need and want:

1) As an admin of (too) may groups,
a) I NEED to see the current status of all my moderation queues, not just the latest things that happened. The best place for this is the Beta version of the Groups Page. It has everything. Including Notifications of pending queue activity just clutters up the Admin Notification list, and slows me down.
b) I NEED to see thread activity in my groups--new threads, latest posts in existing threads. This is what I use notifications for. Everything else, really, just gets in the way.

2) To manage publicity for all my photos, I need to see all the cumulative activity, maybe going back a few days. NEED to see total stats, not increments (which honestly are completely useless). Many groups require passing stat thresholds. Need to see faves and comments on old photos--maybe years ago--that piqued someone's interest, and might benefit from exposure in groups I've joined recently. The Recent Activity page used to do this well, but now I often see previous updates on active photos that I already dealt with on the page or pages before. Confusing and not helpful.

3) For threads in groups I don't manage, I do like to get notifications. Sometimes it's for serial posting games--Chain Gang, Alphabet, &c. Sometimes it's for participation in discussions. Good use for the Notifications tool.

4) I do appreciate notification of comments that name me, although mostly it's just "Thanks".

Please don't drop the cumulative stats functionality of Recent Activity.
Please make Groups Beta the supported version.

view photos

Rodolfo Quinio says:

Even Notifications is SOOOOO Bad!

It's not in Chronological Order
Chronological order is the order in which the events occurred. This is the easiest pattern for us members to check who commented / faved.
Please stop this new thingy if you can't do it right. This has been going on for two weeks now.

view photos

ManxieB- prefer comments! says:

just been thinking that if notifications now is what we were used to and it was changed to Recent Activity as it is I for one would be delighted!

view photos

JamesWired says:

Every day I wake up hoping notifications will have gone away. Every day I return to the same nightmare. Please Flickr when will you get the message that users really don't like this needless change.

view photos

losy says:

your new system is not thought through enough!!! Has too many flaws and it is soooo slow :-((

view photos

losy says:

scrap the "new" system.... it's a mess.... it is backwards and not forward !

view photos

moacirdsp says:

Leticia Roncero:

Changes to the Recent Activity page
If you regularly use Recent Activity, you're going to notice a change to the navigation at the bottom of that page. Because we are archiving old notifications as described above, we're not able to maintain pagination at the bottom of Recent Activity. So where you previously could see page 1, 2, 3, etc., until the last page, you will now use a "next →" button to navigate.

That Is a huge problem for me. It will cancel out about half the time I spend on Flickr, reviewing old photos, based on recent faves and comments.Totally blocking me from other members. I really do not know what to do.

view photos

derekbruff says:

Is there a way to remove group blasts from my notifications without going group by group and turning them off? I'm in way too many groups for that.

view photos

Mister Blur says:

Why change something that works properly?
so, the reaction is that everything goes wrong. The recent activity page is a total mess.
I see on page 1 only what happens with one photograph, then I click "next", and the same photo appears on page 2, I click "next" and on page three another photo and the very first photo appears, I click "next" and the two photographs repeat.

Some other times, after I click "next", the page appears empty.

And when I see the Notification Center, I see "stars" on several photos, or comments on another.
A total mess.

Hope it can be fixed.
Cheers.

Ruben.

view photos

~DGH~ says:

I hate the new site for Recent Activity.

Confusing and difficult to follow. Is there a way to have all the comments and faves for each photo grouped together, as it is currently in Recent Activity? What, if anything, was the rationale for changing something that already worked so well.

The way that Recent Activity looks right now, in its previous format, where I can pull up just the activity in my photos, is working well and eash to follow.

view photos

Midnight-Blue says:

I like that the new notifications center takes up the entire page from side to side and is easy to read. And the ability to click on "All notifications" and choose to see only specific activity is nice. However I much prefer the layout of the recent activity page where you see the name of the picture next to the thumbnail with the number of views, comments, and faves under that.

I am not a fan of getting multiple notifications for the same thing on the same photo. For example, if a photo gets faved by multiple people, I would rather see one notification that the photo has been faved with a list of all the people who faved it. I do not like getting separate notifications for each person who faved.

Edit: Nevermind. I thought I was getting separate notifications for each person for the same activity on a photo but I see I am not. Still, I would prefer to get all notifications about activity on the same photo in one place like RA does, not separate ones for each type of activity. I am wondering why you didn't just freshen up the old RA but keep the layout the same or similar.

And I also have some old notifications that are now irrelevant. I have several invitations to join a group that I have declined, as well as two follower notifications, all from accounts that are now deleted. But when I click on the three dots menu to the right side of these notifications to try and get rid of them - nothing happens. I can't click on that menu or see any other way to get rid of them. These old notifications don't show in recent activity.
Midnight-Blue edited this topic 5 weeks ago.

view photos

Clement Tang * says:

Leticia Roncero:

<<<< Looking forward to hearing from them

Hi, we've attempted to contact you via the email address on your account but we're not sure if that’s an accurate email. If you didn't receive our message, please check your 'spam' folder or contact our support team directly here for assistance. Thanks. >>>>

I am now home.

The support team may not be contacting me while I am home.

Can you simply get them to remove those items using my user URL

I use Firefox browser on my desk top.

It's been dragging on for so long.
Clement Tang * edited this topic 5 weeks ago.

view photos

lopez4949™ says:

Leticia Roncero:

no. i don't like it. now when i go to recent activity, i can't delete comments or people that are following me. i dont' want to keep seeing posts of people i don't like, it was easy on 'recent activiy" and just using the PLUS OR MINUS sign to hide activity i did not want. now i have to scroll pages to get to things i want to still keep track of. you made it worse.

view photos

Steffen und Christina says:

Leticia Roncero:

Dear flickr team,

I posted this already on page 6 of this tread and never got ANY feedback on it (at least as much as I read here). And this where it is a MAJOR bug on the flickr experience.

I write a lot of comments to my family and vice versa. I don't get to see the comments in the app after I refresh (pull down the notification page in the app) them - they disappear and don't come back. I still see those notifications under the bell-icon on the website but NOT in the app. It seems to happen if someone posted several comments so it is shown in one line "commented on xy photos".

I also don't see family comments on the RA-page even though I chose "All" or "Activity on my photos".

Could you please acknoledge this behaviour or tell me what to do.

Can someone else confirm this?

This is very frustrating as our family is using the app a lot.

view photos

Rodolfo Quinio says:

I receive notifications but it's incomplete.

For example, person A commented & faved my image. I'm notified of the comment but no notification on the fave. No one fave it after person A.

So what gives.

view photos

rockwolf says:

This is getting so frustrating. I'm absolutely not enjoying using Flickr any more. I just don't know where I am with comments, as RA is now totally unworkable. Everything is so slooooow now too.

Thanks Flickr! A grand job you did there! 🙄

view photos

Carl Vanassche says:

Yesterday I received 1,600 faves on my photos, but not a single notification between 4 hours ago and 10 hours ago. What happened with the notifications ?

view photos

Teresa Teixeira says:

Yes, I am happy again! I was complaining for losing "Recent Activity", but it seems Flickr heard it... I have it back!!!

view photos

Teresa Teixeira:

Yes, I am happy again! I was complaining for losing "Recent Activity", but it seems Flickr heard it... I have it back!!!

How do you mean? Pagination restored? Mute butten restored?

view photos

amazingstoker says:

MabelAmber️***Pluto5339***MysteryGuest:

. . . . .Ger Bosma:
. . . . .However, the lack of pagination is no improvement.

It is a pain in the butt.

All the 'infinite' scrolling pages are a PITA, always have been since they were first introduced. Pagination is much easier to use and stops the downloaded pages growing so massive Flickr prevents you loading any more results.

view photos

Paris-Roubaix says:

Throwing in my tuppence worth to the discussion. I really don't like the new notifications stuff. Things were just fine before this tinkering. Main gripe is the missing one-touch mute button.

view photos

Jane Statham says:

I have just spent far too long rearranging the new notifications for my better half.
He suffers from Bipolar and the new system was making his time on Flickr a nightmare. Triggering his Bipolar every time he came on. I've now basically turned off everything, so he doesn't have to navigate something that he doesn't understand and doesn't want.

Due to mobility issues, he's not able to take many photos himself now, but enjoys looking at what I've taken and comments on the photos.

We both wonder how many more unfortunate people this change has caused problems for on a "medical" note.

Flickr : Please on behalf of my better half and anyone else who has a similar condition as him. Think of them and go back to what we had, so they can enjoy their time on here again.

view photos

Mobile Lynn says:

I'm not using the new notification centre until there is an option to group everything by photo and photo title as there was in the original Recent Activity. Everything I do on Flickr is BY PHOTO when will you get that in your heads, its a photographic site! The current notification centre is unusable and a complete waste of time. Fix RA, now that you have broken it and let me have what I am paying for - a way to track my photos.

view photos

subhash.at says:

Terrible. I cannot see any notification at all since the changes. It was good before, now it is unusable.

view photos

amazingstoker:

All the 'infinite' scrolling pages are a PITA, always have been since they were first introduced. Pagination is much easier to use and stops the downloaded pages growing so massive Flickr prevents you loading any more results

I couldn't agree with you more.

Plus, it's counter-intuitive. As are the "start-next" buttons, at the bottom of the RA pages, where you expect a simple 1-2-3 etc.

view photos

Jan 130 says:

Jane Statham:

Well said. This has caused so much extra stress in so many people's lives and all for what? We are paying for damage to our mental health and that of our loved ones. We need the original Recent Activity back. Let's keep it relatively simple (although even then it's not, for many new members). I believe many people will suffer through this change, it's just horrible.

view photos

Jasperdo says:

The more I look at Notifications, the less I like it. There are sooo many things that are either impossible to do or much more difficult now. And now Recent Activity is getting messed up as well. Custom View now shows All Activity instead of Custom View. What's the point of Custom View if it's not customized anymore. It's all so infuriating. It's 2013 all over again, and I'm not happy about it.

view photos

~Jany~ says:

All family and friends comments have now been bunched into a huge mess, I can't preview any longer what they have commented. My sister has left me 20 comments today but only 12 are being shown in the notifications and I have no way to find out what the other 8 pictures are. So now I have to click through every single picture to see where she left comments and if they even need a reply. Also the most useful function of replying directly from the notification page has disappeared!!
I am all for refreshes and upgrades but please don't remove features and functionality!!

view photos

Jane Statham says:

Jan 130:

Thank you.
He's possibly luckier than others, as I can turn all notifications off for him. We feel so sorry for those having to cope with this without help.

view photos

kurtwolf303 says:

Mobile Lynn:

I second that.....

view photos

Prettyflower Vale ♥ GoddessWhispers.blog says:

Like most others here, I dislike having group admin blasts cluttering up my notifications, when all i really want to see is faves, follows, and comments. My suggestion would be to add another separate tab for the group admin blasts. Yes, I will want to read some of those at some point, but do not want them mixed up with notifications about MY stuff. If admin blasts are on a separate tab, I can see MY stuff unhindered, and then choose when I have time to look at the admin blasts.

view photos

Classicpixel (Eric Galton) Photography Portfolio says:

Like the others, I am not a fan of it. Too distracting, too much information. Please, some empathy for your end-users. Roll back to the simple and original notification panel. Thank you in advance.

view photos

johngpt says:

I'm wondering how many times I have to mute notification for the same image for it to finally stop showing in Notifications.

I post generally, to one group per day but spend a lot of time viewing, faving and commenting on the images at that group.

When it seems that commentary has slowed down on a particular photo at which I've commented, I click on "Mute this notification."
I even do that for the redundant notifications.

You know, the one that says so and so mentioned me and also the one that says so and so said this and that.

After clicking Mute this notification, the thumbnail greys out as does the rest of the notification.

Later in the day when I return to Notifications, I'm still getting notifications about comments at these photos.

I end up clicking on Mute this notification dozens of times but notifications keep coming.

I'm using a browser that supports seeing the drop down of comments. Shouldn't it also support muting notifications?

view photos

johngpt says:

If the coding that supported the old version of Recent Activity was ancient and creaking, why can't Recent Activity be coded using up to date code?

Recent Activity gave us so much information at a single glance.
Thumbnail with photo title to its right in large type.
The Flickr member's user name under the thumbnail.

Comments and faves under the photo title, making it easy to determine if someone replied to my comment, and who has been commenting.

There was a mute button to the right of the photo's title.

There was pagination to make it easy to find that photo you know is on page 10.

Sure, there were things I'd like to have seen improved about Recent Activity but as it was it was so far above what we have with Notifications Center.

view photos

Marcela Photosphera says:

I don't like !!! I preffer old version of activity. Is easier and better to find ALL at same time .
I can't find antthing with new version !!! Yes wirh old , that I still use .
Also....where is the Mute button in each photo? It was removed/deleted? I need that tool ! Now I don't see it.
----------------
Yes , I like the tool to manage groups from my group link.

This thread has been closed by Flickr Staff.

(1201 to 1300 of 1320 replies in New Flickr Notifications Center and Settings available to all members.)
Subscribe to a feed of stuff on this page... Feed – Subscribe to help discussion threads