Help / The Help Forum

This thread has been closed by Flickr Staff.

Hot Topics

[Official Thread] Have an idea for Flickr? Share it here.
Latest: 3 hours ago
New Flickr Notifications Center and Settings available to all members.
Latest: 3 months ago
[Updated April 26, 2021] Flickr is moving payments to Stripe
Latest: 12 months ago
Welcome to the Flickr Help Forum! Click here to get started and to read our Forum Guidelines.
Latest: 18 months ago

Current Discussion

[Acknowledged by Flickr Staff] Structural Underreporting in Bell Icon
Latest: 6 minutes ago
Cast your photos from Flickr APP on Android or iPhone to Chromecast/device
Latest: 60 minutes ago
[Acknowledged by Flickr Staff] Recent Activity & Notifications - Very slow loading!
Latest: 72 minutes ago
Spam e -mails from Flickr
Latest: 5 hours ago
Photo,s not showing Problem
Latest: 7 hours ago
How to Block an Admin of Pool which troll it since many yeras
Latest: 8 hours ago
[Monitoring Fix] View counter fixed
Latest: 8 hours ago
[Staff Response] Recent activity - Can we have it back? Please???
Latest: 9 hours ago
pending queue problem
Latest: 10 hours ago
Layout of Photostream
Latest: 11 hours ago
Is there a way to delete myself from all my groups at once?
Latest: 11 hours ago
iOS app fails to scroll/display 2nd ‘page’ of faves
Latest: 12 hours ago
More...

Search the Help Forum

New Flickr Notifications Center and Settings available to all members.

Flickr Staff

Leticia Roncero says:

Updates:

9/16/21: Summary of latest reply. If you have further questions or feedback about using the Notifications Center, please write to our Support team. The Recent Activity page will be sunset on December 15, 2021. Our latest reply also lists upcoming improvements that we'll be implementing based on your feedback and additional community feedback that we're taking into consideration.

9/08/21: Acknowledged feedback regarding seeing the total number of faves that a photo has and seeing all of your photos that someone has recently faved (currently notifications is only surfacing 12)

8/17/21: Acknowledged 2 known issues (slow loading and not seeing recent faves)

=======

Today, after months of development, feedback rounds with our members, and hard work, we are continuing our rollout from 25% to 100% of the new Flickr Notifications Center and Notifications Settings pages.

What does this mean?

We’ve expanded the current notifications from the bell icon at the top of Flickr and introduced a new tab for groups you admin. We’ve also introduced a Notifications Center page so you can see your notifications with more screen real estate.

What’s new?

The Notifications Center
The Notifications Center is a rebuilt version of the Recent Activity page designed to surface all of the latest activity related to your Flickr experience. To access the Notifications Center, click on the bell icon in the navigation bar at the top of Flickr, and at the bottom of the dropdown, you’ll see the link that used to read “View Recent Activity” now reads “View all notifications.” When you click that, you’ll be taken to the new Notifications Center, where you’ll be able to access all your notifications, filter your notifications by type (ie.: faves, group invitations, comments on your photos, etc.), and check the latest activity on your photos, groups, and conversations.

Notifications Settings Page
The Notifications Settings page allows you to turn on or mute notifications by type. This page gives you control over your in-site notifications as well as email notifications to decide what you’re notified about, how you’re notified, and even how often. To access the Notifications Settings page, click on the bell icon in the navigation bar at the top of Flickr and you’ll notice a new gear icon that will take you to the Notifications Settings page.

Group Notifications
For groups, we’ve added new notification types to let you know when admins update the group admin blast, as well as group description and rules. Additionally, group admins will now see notifications for the groups they admin as a separate tab so they can easily sort out the priority updates for their groups from personal notifications and from groups they don’t admin. If you’re not interested in receiving group notifications, you can turn them off on your Notifications Settings page. Please note that there’s no option to turn off notifications for all groups at once, so please be intentional about which groups you mute.

New ‘Options’ in your Groups page
As we are rolling out the new Notifications, you’ll also see updates to your Groups list page, where all of your groups are displayed. We’ve changed the name of “Faved Groups” to “Pinned Groups” to avoid conflating with the action of faveing photos/videos. Pinning a group will keep that group at the top of your list, and will ensure you get notified of any new group discussions posted to that group. There’s also a new column called Options, which lets you manage group notifications, show or hide groups from your activity feed, and more. If you desire, you can use the Options column on the Groups list page to mute/unmute each of your groups. To pin a group on your Groups list page, select the Options column three-dot menu next to the desired group and choose “Pin to top of page.” If you want a group pinned to the top of the page, but you don’t want group notifications, you can mute the group from the same menu, or from your Notifications Settings page.

Comment modal in Notifications (how to see all comments made for one of your photos)
When you click on a comment notification from the Notifications Center page, you will get a modal that lets you scroll through all the comments on the photo without leaving the Notifications dropdown or Notifications Center. You can also reply to the comments from that modal. For people who like to go through all their comment threads without context switching, this should be a useful workflow for you now.

You can see a video demo of this in action here.

Archiving (changes to how some notifications are presented)
With these changes, you’ll now see notifications for recent activity on your photos, discussions, and groups, rather than seeing every previous interaction associated with that photo/video/group, etc. Let's take an example:

In the old format, let's say I had uploaded a photo five years ago, and it had 45 faves already. If a couple of folks named Pat and John came along and faved it today, the notification would read, "Pat and John and 45 other people faved your photo." We were showing the count of the entire history of faves on the photo in the notification, even though some of the faves might have been five years old.

In the new format with this hypothetical example, you'll get a notification that says, "Pat and John faved your photo." We're surfacing what has happened recently and seems most relevant.

Likewise, we've changed some of the models for how notifications are presented, with the intent to cut down on the noise when, for example, one person faves a bunch of your photos. In the past, if Pat faved ten of your photos, you would have received ten separate notifications. With the new model, we'll now simply show you a batch notification that says "Pat faved ten photos'' with thumbnails for those ten photos. Here is a visual example.

Changes to the Recent Activity page
If you regularly use Recent Activity, you're going to notice a change to the navigation at the bottom of that page. Because we are archiving old notifications as described above, we're not able to maintain pagination at the bottom of Recent Activity. So where you previously could see page 1, 2, 3, etc., until the last page, you will now use a "next →" button to navigate. We’ve added a "start" button as well so that you don't have to use the back arrow on your browser.
If you notice that items you previously muted are showing up for you with new reactions in Recent Activity, this is due to the way the archiving data is stored. If you want to mute comments on a particular photo/video, for example, you’ll need to do that in the new Notifications to have it work on Recent Activity.

If you still regularly use Recent Activity and haven't explored the new Notifications, now is a good time to try the new system. We have spent the past few months monitoring the performance of this new experience and working to incorporate feedback to make sure that everything that you can view in Recent Activity is available in the Notifications Center or elsewhere on Flickr. We are keeping Recent Activity while everyone gets used to the new notifications center, but our plan is to eventually remove this page and focus on making notifications the go-to experience for keeping up with your activity on Flickr. We'll continue fine-tuning notifications, so if you notice anything that doesn't appear to be working as it should or you're unable to accomplish a specific workflow in notifications that you could in recent activity, please let us know here. We've also included an FAQ in our Help Center.

Answers to some FAQs about the new Notifications Center:

“The new system is missing some notifications. For example, I can’t find [X] notification type.”
We built the new Notifications Center with feature parity in mind, which means you should be able to see all the same types of notifications (and other new ones) that you used to see on the Recent Activity page. If you have lots of new activity that you need to manage, the Notifications Center page lets you filter your notifications by type. For example, show only notifications for comments, or only for group invitations, etc. You can select different filters depending on what you want to see. Click on the “All Notifications” dropdown at the top of the notifications list to apply filters.

“On the Recent Activity page, I was able to see individual replies and comments without having to open the actual photo page.”
You can do this from the new Notifications Center as well! When you click on a comment link from the Notifications Center page, you will get a modal that lets you scroll through ALL the comments for that image. You can also reply to the comments from that modal, without leaving the Notifications Center page.

“I want to see the list of people who faved my photo(s) without having to navigate to the actual photo page.”
Similarly to how we brought the comment modal into the new notifications after feedback that folks wanted to be able to see all the comments on a photo without having to go to the photo page, we are looking at how we can bring the fave modal that is currently on the photo page (e.g. “[person 1], [person 2] and [n more people] faved your photo”) into the Notifications Center and under the bell icon. We’ve wanted to update that modal component to have more functionality, so this is a perfect time to do so. We’ll work on that after we get 100% of the community into the new system.
Posted at 11:40AM, 26 August 2021 PST ( permalink )
cabb88 (staff) edited this topic 3 months ago.

(101 to 200 of 1320 replies in New Flickr Notifications Center and Settings available to all members.)
view photos

pe_ha45 says:

I don't like it. Prefer the old version.
Posted 3 months ago. ( permalink )

view photos

jack cottone says:

SJH Foto:

This New system Stinks!!! It takes forever to get into where I wish to go..
It separated a persons Fave from her Comment Tag!!! That's TERRIBLE...
Go back or at least give me an OPTION to use the OLDER SYSTEM...
jack

view photos

fabiola.burbrink says:

LOVE new group page! 10x faster!

FB

view photos

f.depillot says:

c'est beaucoup plus lisible,ce nouveau système me semble très avantageux

view photos

cherrytree54 says:

Love it!

view photos

michele_marie says:

no i dont like the new way of notifications.im finding im looking at previous notifications that i had already replied to. which in turn is creating more wasted time for me trying to reply to comments.
i did much prefer the previous system where i could scroll down to each one to reply to without going over notification that i had already replied to. more confusing to me. would it not be possible to run the two systems together then we would have a choice as to what system to use. for me it would be the previous one anytime.

view photos

Jan 130 says:

It's dreadful. If I get an email, I can't reply to it and then get back to my recent activity for ages while it grinds away. Sometimes it says "You have no recent activity" when I KNOW I have ! It also tells me I have no messages (emails) when I have. As an admin of several step-up groups, I find this totally unacceptable. Sorry, this is NOT a good thing you have done. Constantly reloading a page is frustrating to say the least. I really don't like complaining, but this is yet another change you've made without any consultation.

view photos

Jelltex says:

I have given it 12 hours.

It is slow to pull up info on Recent Activity, and only initially shows new activity since your last check, you have to hit refresh to see anything else. For me, a member of a group that generates comments, this is slowing the site up and reducing enjoyment.

I am avoiding the bell symbol totally as it hardly ever works. and is not what I require.

If you fix the bugs, if that's what they are, will it be liveable? Yes.

A choice to opt out, the common complaint with this site, would be nice.

view photos

Alexandros Raskolnick says:

In my opinion it is really usefull to have insights about rejections in sharing with groups. One can leave groups his art is not welcome; it saves valuable time for all concerned parties.

view photos

IN2UT says:

Notifying people when their images are rejected by a group is the dumbest idea ever. This is going to lead to conflicts, pissy messages and anger. Is this an attempt to use anger to push hits like Facebook?

view photos

Mary (No Multiple Invites Please) says:

Not Happy I Preferred it the way it was

view photos

DragonSpeed says:

I like the view - not much going on for me so it's not much different than the old one.

view photos

nickinthegarden says:

Change for the sake of change is dumb. I have been very supportive of the changes done in the past but this is just a waste of my time. I pay a lot of money for this service and I am not getting my monies worth.

view photos

54StorminWillyGJ54 says:

For me, I like the old way wherein I just click the bell icon and a simple dropdown menu appears without leaving the page. It's more work to open it in a whole new window. My opinion.

view photos

INSTANTS D´ANNÉE OFF says:

No me gusta, cuando algo funciona bien porqué cambiarlo ?

view photos

alainfrere34 says:

I really like it !

view photos

mfnure31 says:

Duplication and unnecessary.

view photos

sobergeorge says:

I don't like it. A real pain.

view photos

Erwin van Maanen. says:

Another useless 'innovation'. It's slow and unhandy. Would be nice to offer the option to go back to the old layout.

view photos

♥ L'humoureuse :-) says:

Leticia Roncero
DON'T LIKE IT AT ALL !!! It was OK ! why change this ??
The new notifications are NO GOOD at all, too complicate, everything is bad ad it is no more possible to see all the "dernières activités" latest or activities, easily
A lot of persons who use Flickr since years are old and they will be lost.
Please let's go back to the old version ASAP if not I will leave Flickr after 11 years !

view photos

♥ L'humoureuse :-) says:

Erwin van Maanen.:

Yes it will be much more better to have the option to choice !

view photos

Flickr Staff

Leticia Roncero says:

Hi all,

For those of you reporting slow loading speeds in the new system (8+ seconds), please know we are investigating the issue and plan to update you as soon as we have more information to provide.

We're also investigating a bug affecting a few members who do not see recent faves on their photos (and see old faves they made instead).

If you are affected by one of these issues and want to provide more detail (taking a screen recording of the delay, for example), please feel free to contact our support team directly.

Thanks.

view photos

BardHà says:

The new design is very messy, I love the old one, sorry!

view photos

the foreign photographer - ฝรั่งถ่ says:

I still have to rely on the Recent Activity page and e-mail notifications to get an accurate count of how many photos each person is favoring.

view photos

Steve @ Slackbladder Hall. says:

Absolutely no need for these changes there was nothing wrong with things as they were,Why do people want change all the time,If it aint broke don`t mend it, life is complicated enough as it is without my enjoyment time boiling my brain,For pities sake leave off the changes.If not, one change you could do is make it cheaper to remain a member now that is a change that would make some sense.

view photos

Ron of the Desert says:

It seems to provide less information than we get already. What is the point?

view photos

sensuallightstudios says:

Alexandros Raskolnick:

Yes, interesting to see what the group admin do behind the curtains

SLS

view photos

matt duke - thanks for 125M+ views! says:

Leticia Roncero:

I really hope flickr is listening to the many long time flickr Pros who, like me, really liked the RA page and really do not like the new Notifications feature. RA was a clean interface that provided easy access to the information I needed. I have explored Notifications but it does not meet my needs. Here's why:

- I want to see activity grouped by photo not person.
- The total fave count is very important to the way I manage my feed. Notifications does not provide this information.

Also, the previous threads on this topic were closed without responding to the numerous reports of bugs on the RA pages. Please note:

- Every page after the START page is mostly just random repeats of image activity from previous pages
- There does not seem to be any end to the NEXT pages.It appears to be a bottomless stack of randomly repeating notifications.
- I have my RA set to "in the last day" but still get follow notices from prior periods.

Does flickr have any intent to debug the RA pages?
Thank you.

view photos

Arthur Clenham says:

Ruined!!

view photos

Flickr Staff

kp-kp-kp says:

Hey everyone,

Appreciate everyone taking the time to get to know the new Notifications Center. We're reading every message and taking all your thoughts into consideration.

I did remove a couple comments that weren't in line with our forum guidelines.

We do want to hear from people who don't like this new experience, but we ask that members keep their feedback constructive so we can better understand how we can meet your needs.

Best,
Katherine

view photos

Flickr Staff

kp-kp-kp says:

Arthur Clenham:

Can you share more information about what's not working for you with the new notifications, and how you would expect this experience to work for you?

view photos

wwevangeline says:

Ok my honest opinion. I like that there is some clustering of favorites going on it makes it simpler. But the new notification of seeing everytime a photo is accepted by a group moderator is ANNOYING. I went to settings and found i could turn that off but I had to turn off

EACH

INDIVIDUAL

GROUP

BY

IT

SELF

Please include an option to toggle ALL those groups off at once..... PLEASE

view photos

Felicity the chubby tranny says:

Hate it.. It's messy and all over the place..

Please give us the choice to go back to the old notifications

view photos

Flickr Staff

Leticia Roncero says:

matt duke - thanks for 100M+ views!:

- The total fave count is very important to the way I manage my feed. Notifications does not provide this information.

Hey Matt,

We've definitely heard this feedback quite a bit and we are looking at how we can bring the fave modal that is currently on the photo page (e.g. “[person 1], [person 2] and [n more people] faved your photo”) into the Notifications Center and under the bell icon.

Regarding the Recent Activity page, we've logged these issues in case they are impacting other areas of Flickr, but we are not going to focus on improvements or fixes to the Recent Activity page and eventually, this page will be removed. We would like to encourage everyone to explore the new notifications center and share any questions or feedback with us, so we can keep improving the new experience.

I hope this helps, but please let us know if you have any other questions or feedback.

Thanks.

view photos

Dorota.S - ! says:

I hate new Notification !
Why destroy what was working properly and was very helpful?
Please give us the old Recent Activity !!!

view photos

Donkey Hot-tea says:

kp-kp-kp:

we ask that members keep their feedback constructive so we can better understand how we can meet your needs

You can better meet our needs by giving us the option to go back to the old 'Recent Activity' - particularly with page numbers so that we don't have to click 'next' a zillion times to go back to activity a week or two ago.

view photos

Tony / Guy@Fawkes says:

Leticia Roncero:

Am I reading this right ?

'but we are not going to focus on improvements or fixes to the Recent Activity page and eventually, this page will be removed'

Why was this thread even started ?

view photos

jrussell.1916 says:

Leticia Roncero:

Don't care for it at all, sorry. Can't mute other comments on others' photos so we don't have to have the photo keep coming up and taking up space should we choose to do so. Comments take up a lot more space. We can always find it again if needed. Much prefer the way it was which was much easier to read and reply to comments. Takes away from the easy and enjoyment of comments. Please change back. This is very awkward and cumbersome. Thank you! Having the choice to use the old way would be wonderful! This way makes it less likely we will chose to comment on photos.
jrussell.1916 edited this topic 3 months ago.

view photos

Flickr Staff

cabb88 says:

Tony / Guy@Fawkes:

Hello - we have this thread open to answer questions and help folks get onboarded to the new Notifications Center and Settings. If you have questions about how the Notifications Center or Settings work, please let us know.

view photos

A.von Berg says:

Moi. je trouve ça intéressante.
mais je dois encore observer pour avoir une idée plus claire...

view photos

Teknófilo says:

It would be good if messages which have been already read would not appear in the Notifications.

view photos

Clement Tang * says:

Leticia Roncero:

"Regarding the Recent Activity page, we've logged these issues in case they are impacting other areas of Flickr, but we are not going to focus on improvements or fixes to the Recent Activity page and eventually, this page will be removed."

The new Notification roll out has been directly handicapping the Recent Activity . New settings won't help a bit. We can't go back messages/comments past a couple days old.

Pressing the "Next" button even multiple times only keeps recycling cases we have already attended to a few minutes ago.

IF RA is going to be removed, I am sure a lot of loyal users will leave Flickr, although it HAD been a wonderful platform for years!
Clement Tang * edited this topic 3 months ago.

view photos

SoCalPhotographer says:

It's like anything new, you adapt. The only thing I don't like is the change to page navigation index. I much prefer to see the number of pages, than just using Next or Back, I want to know how many are in the set of notifications. I want to be able to select the page number I want to go to.
Thank you.

view photos

deetaah says:

I am not satisfied. I'm still getting notifications that I can't associate with anyone. They cannot be deleted either.

view photos

Alexis Gerard - Off for a while says:

Where did the ability to mute individual notifications go??? After I've seen that someone is following me I always mute that notification. I can't find a way to do it now, not in the old Recent Activity view, and not in the new Notifications view.

view photos

cabb88:Hello Carol, I hope you're well.
Where did the ability to mute individual notifications go please? (in my case, notifications that someone is following me).

I can no longer find them either in the Recent Activity view, or in the new Notifications view.

Thanks!

view photos

Alexis Gerard - Off for a while:

P.S. I use a Mac, tried both Firefox and Safari - same issue.

view photos

Rwah Yeetly says:

Leticia Roncero:

Perhaps you can make it bit bigger still? Seriously, it's horrid. The old style worked just fine where you could click if you wanted more info. Now you have a whole bloody page for what? A list of likes.

Tip for the Flickr think-tank: stop thinking

view photos

LookaroundAnne says:

I've always liked and used the 'Recent Activity' tab. It now isn't showing when I've commented on a photo. It's a facility I use a lot. I can't make any sense of the new notification centre. Very unhappy.

view photos

davebloggs007 says:

I do like the fact that i can now see who did what without having to surf through the relentless badges and awards stickers etc they ddrive me nuts and I never coment on photos etc that have so many of those things especially the flasing ones I hate those things, but the new system allows me to see what has happened without all the other garbage awards etc.

view photos

Jo Molinaro says:

As usual, another Flickr update that makes no sense - change for the sake of change - and that makes the user experience even worse. After the changes to the main page I didn't think this would be possible, but apparently it was.

Flickr is, change by change, becoming (even more) obsolete.

view photos

decembre says:

Hummm... seem complicated...
Need time to understand it.
But after a first look, i have some suggestions.

1 - In the Bell Notification and the Notification page itself (where there are more space to do this request)
Less clicks for actions:
Can you change the need to click on the three-dots to open the menu where we can mute etc,
by a set of icons at the bottom of each notification (always visible) :
Mute / Unfollow / Bock User / Send Message

2 - In the Bell Notification and maybe the Notification page itself (here we can filter them by type).
Use an other approach to don't mutes too many things before long testing,
use tabs to group by type of notifications :
Comments / FAvs / Groups Invits / etc...

Like that we could see what is important or useful for us simply by using the tab we need.
Actually there are only 2 tabs....

3 - Bell Notification
But after this quick look, i feel there are to many things inside this Bell Notification:
Too much for a "Popup" where we go for quick info.

Like it was the case before:
Succinct, Fast and informative.

And the purpose of the Old Recent Activity page was to offer more detailed info on a page where we stay much time.
Evidently, as long we have always this precious Pagination....

Without pagination, in Old RA and i feel in the NEW Notification page,
we can't take the time to go step by step to explore them.
Sometime it's interesting to explore activity in the past.

Note:
In the Old RA, i notice the Pagination continue to work, without pagination!
Examples:
New format:
www.flickr.com/recent_activity.gne?continuation=XXXXX

Old Format:
www.flickr.com/activity/all/page54/
If you change the number after page, you continue to go to this page.
Not practical but an argument to continue to have the pagination visible,
along they remove this page... evidently :-)
decembre edited this topic 3 months ago.

view photos

sdttds says:

I posted this thread:

www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157719671587634/

more than two weeks ago. The thread was closed by staff, even though there is no resolution (still showing only 1 or 2 items for my items, even though it seems to work for "All Activity").

Why was it closed when the problem remains, and lots of people are unhappy?

It's not a "Fix" if it breaks something that people liked and they are complaining. Please restore the capability for me to view activity on my photos for reasons I have previously mentioned.

view photos

sdttds says:

Jo Molinaro:
LookaroundAnne:

Agreed

Leticia Roncero:

That reply shows that Flickr does not seem to care about paying customers. Basically you're telling us "we are not going to do what our customers want. Deal with it." Positively jaw-dropping.

view photos

Rodolfo Quinio says:

I certainly prefer the old one!

This will make life even more complicated.

Certainly, a NO NO for the new notifications. Absolutely, prefer the old one.

Or give your clients an option.

view photos

albyn.davis says:

Enjoying the new notifications center, so far.
I really like seeing group admin acceptances and rejections. Did not have this information before.

view photos

armyblackhawkpilot says:

I think the new one is very busy. With that said, I know what groups to get rid of because of the admin rejecting correct content. I don't want to post where I it is a waste of time.

view photos

Helen Sussex says:

Why do you have to mess with a system that worked. Prefer the old one.

view photos

Siabala, Luis says:

Un gran avance para conocer las notificaciones con mayor precisión. Gracias y felicitaciones

view photos

- Gilles - says:

Hello,
It would be great if the photo thumbnails get a little bigger when hovering over the mouse in the notifications window.
Thank you. ;-)

view photos

hkavas says:

Good..Better than old one.At least the old one was showing maximum 49 faves,now showing real fave numbers.
But I think it needs fine tuning,even there is no new notification it shows with red number "there is"..
hkavas edited this topic 3 months ago.

view photos

Jan.Timmons says:

Particularly like the batch notification of multiple faves.
Jan.Timmons edited this topic 3 months ago.

view photos

One of my contacts faved 63 photos and I was happy that Notifications counted them. But since I still don't quite trust it, I went back to check and it was correct. So I feeling more trustful of it now.

view photos

dte648 says:

Really like the new notification center seems cleaner

view photos

Rolando Procupez-Schtirbu says:

A bit of color change. As long as one does not click on the lower "View all notifications New" link ()which messes all up) it looks basically the same.

So I don't mind if it's his the last change, and it is not going to progress into a more cluttered or user unfriendly option.

view photos

donna.chiofolo (on and off) says:

This "new" format looks like the one I had back when I was on 500px years ago. I really, really enjoy the current Flickr format of notifications. I can see a lot of information at once instead of one at a time. There's reasons I left 500px.My 2 cents is to leave it the way it is or please leave it up to us to choose which format to keep if possible.
Thanks for your consideration.
Sincerely, Donna

view photos

Retail Retell says:

I have been a longtime fan of Recent Activity and have used it as my landing page multiple times a day for as long as I have been on the site. I will greatly miss it, but I am trying to give the new Notifications page a try. I find that I really like the comment modal that lets you see all the comments and reply to them straight from the Notifications page, without ever having to leave to go to each of the individual photo pages. I do very much miss the way that Recent Activity let you see the full comment as opposed to Notifications only giving you the first several words, but at least having the ability to click on those words to bring up the comment modal proves beneficial in getting a quick glance at the rest of the comment, as well as any others left on the same image.

One thing mentioned in a post above is that Recent Activity grouped the activity by photo, not by person. I, too, miss that functionality. It felt more organized, in my opinion, to see under each photo that A, B, and C faved it, rather than three different notifications that "A faved this photo," "B faved this photo," and "C faved this photo." (I know that this will show up as just one notification -- "A and 2 others faved this photo" -- if the faves occur in quick succession; but if they take place a few days apart, it seems to result in separate notifications, which crowds the feed.)

Also regarding the grouping of actions that occur in quick succession, the new Notifications page gives me just one notification that "Person A has commented on two photos." For those notifications, the ability to use the comment modal mentioned above is not present, and I have to go to the individual photo pages to see not just the whole comment, but any snippet of it at all. I would prefer if there were a way for each comment to get its own notification so that this would no longer be an issue.

Another thing I liked in Recent Activity is how I could see any comments that I wrote, even those on other users' photos which had not yet been replied to. This helped me to keep track of them better. The Notifications page so far only purports to show comments that occur following, or in response to, your initial comment... and that feature also does not seem to be working properly, at least for me, as when I click to filter only "comments on photos you've commented on," I get a blank page that reads "When you have new notifications, they’ll appear here." RA, on the other hand, shows me numerous replies to comments I have left in the past few days on other users' photos, so I know there is activity there, and Notifications just isn't catching it for some reason. EDIT: I played around in the settings and it turns out this feature was automatically set to "off." I turned it on and it's working properly now; still, not sure why that would be automatically off instead of on.

Finally, another message in one of these Help Forum threads described how a lot of people seemed to use Recent Activity as a checklist of sorts. I fall in that same boat. While I check RA multiple times a day, I may not get around to replying to a comment until a day or two later. I liked that RA would show my comments in italics, versus everyone else's in regular type; I used that as a visual cue to know which photos I needed to give attention to. (If the last activity on the photo is in italics, I've already responded and can move on.) I notice that new notifications on the Notifications page show up highlighted in blue, but only for the first visit -- I wonder if there would be some way to mark notifications as unread, keeping them blue until such time as you could respond to them. This would perhaps help suit those who use RA as a visual checklist.

In closing, I've noticed that some people prioritize faves on this site; I tend to prioritize comments, as is probably obvious from the above. I understand that the experience for everyone will be different, and there are all sorts of changes that people might want to see made to the new system, but I hope that you will take my comments into consideration. Thanks.
Retail Retell edited this topic 3 months ago.

view photos

crafty1tutu (Ann) says:

I really don't like it at all. Much prefer the old way!!

view photos

Orion Octane says:

Three Problems for me.
1. I'm not getting notifications for favs and comments on my pics! >_<
2.. I don't want to see alerts for when people add images to my groups.
3. And I don't want people to see when I reject their images from my groups

view photos

Motownrick says:

Don't like it, prefer the old version.

view photos

Stu Bo says:

Please, Please, Please...just stop messing with our experience. Been here since 2008 and have seen many changes, forced to adopt to them because of the bonds and friendships with others. I do not want or need to see activity in the groups I'm in while I trying see comments from contacts. Info overload for no useful purpose.

view photos

D@nnyR Photogr@phics says:

It's a NO THANK YOU from me.

view photos

OzGFK says:

iOS Flickr App notifications are not working now, only comments to photos are appearing, not faves.

view photos

Wolf Braham says:

I like some aspects but wish for improvements in others.

Main feedback: when it shows that people recently faved one of my photos, the number it shows is meaningless. I’d rather see it the way it is on the apps, showing “Y-Person and X others faved….” where X is total faves minus 1.

Other feedback.:
While it is sort of interesting to see when a given photo has been accepted by a group, I’d rather have that on another tab. It’s just not that important to me.

view photos

janetfo747 ~ back but slow says:

Change is never easy to accept or understand why.
You had a system that worked find, and now it is more complicated and cumbersome. One must now look for information rather then seeing it instantly. sorry but i say no.

view photos

OzGFK says:

Comments on photos I've commented on is not working, shows nothing.

view photos

lokiblacksheep says:

it sucks! go back to the previous format

view photos

OzGFK says:

Filtering by faves doesn't work, shows nothing.

view photos

OzGFK says:

Messages (Flickrmail) not working, shows nothing.

view photos

ketrin1407 says:

I can't say I'm keen on the new look. Too much text on the left, and the thumbnails have been moved to the right. Now, maybe it's just my Asperger's making me resistant to change, but it just seems like change for its own sake.

Also, on the old Recent Activity page, the Mute Activity button is gone. Please restore that in some shape or form, at least. I don't want my history cluttered up with 'Following' notifications.

view photos

OzGFK says:

Instead of the pull down menu, I would prefer something similar to the current format, where you have a header row where you can click on the type of activity you want to see.

Also please check each pull down menu activity, as I have indicated, they don't all work properly.

view photos

metroblossom says:

It's good to see some work on the site. I do have a few suggestions:

1. There should be an option to disable or enable all group notifications, rather than having to set the preferences for each group individually.

2. I'd also like to see a somewhat narrower page width. At present, with the window fully expanded, the notifications are too stretched out horizontally. At that point, the thumbnails get bigger to take up the space, but that stretches out each notification vertically as well.

3. I wonder if the different kinds of actions could have slightly different styles. For example, could the follow notifications look a little different from the fave notifications -- perhaps have a slightly different background color? The old Recent Activity page distinguishes each kind of "Activity" clearly, and that helps the viewer swiftly scan the activities for the category of Activity in which they have an interest.

view photos

Rodolfo Quinio says:

This NEW thing is ludicrous.

I definitely want it as before. This is going to waste a lot of time looking for recent faves & comments.

view photos

Sebastian Absinthe says:

I think it's really unnecessary to show photos as they get rejected.

view photos

Prospero56 says:

Dreadful! That's a categorical no from me!

view photos

I am still finding that my Recent Activity page is more accurate than this Notification page which leaves off some activity. Maybe it can't handle as much activity as I get.

view photos

Clement Tang * says:

the foreign photographer - ฝรั่งถ่:

RA is a very effective tool to manage my photos.

I wish more RA lovers can speak up!

The RA is very much handicapped now !!!

The Bell and RA can co-exist - if they can repair the damage !!!
Clement Tang * edited this topic 3 months ago.

view photos

Ebroh says:

Thank you Flickr, you went one stupidity too far. Just canceled my subscription.

view photos

nmdenis1957 says:

I don't like it at all . All you just did was make it more difficult to work with and made it less enjoyable to be a part of . It does not look like you put much thought into making it better . It was a huge waist of time as far as I see it.

view photos

Ronnie Gaye says:

Nice. The changes are subtle in their effect, but useful. -- EDIT - now, after 10 minutes of live use, I LOVE some of the changes :) -- I'm sorry so many people are so negative. It's certainly not complicated, it just takes 2 minutes to read about so you know what's new and how to access it. The only thing I would suggest is to be clearer in the FAQs about what you mean by a "modal" - I had to work that out by means of trial and error.
Ronnie Gaye edited this topic 3 months ago.

view photos

20Bunyip10 says:

Your new recent activity SUCKS............

view photos

OzGFK says:

Leticia Roncero:

OK I can now see why there are no results when I select faves / comments on photos ive commented on / etc from the pulldown menu, it's because of my custom settings as you have stated. I now have to go into the new notification settings to select the switch for each thing I want to see.

This is counter intuitive though. I should not be able to see an option in the pull down menu, if that is turned off in the notification settings, or at least, there should be a message to inform me why there are no results for that pull down menu option.

I think that the ding ding bell link should reflect the notification settings, because perhaps I don't want to see everything in that little window. But when I go to my actual activity / notification page, that should allow me to see everything and not be dependent on the settings I have made for the activity menu from the ding ding bell (top right next to upload button).

view photos

Rodolfo Quinio says:

It's soooo sloooow. Do beta testing first before putting anything out. We pay NOT to be guinea pigs.

view photos

DaveSPN says:

To put it bluntly the new notifications are crap!!!!!!
My ten year old son could have done a better job.!
Not good enough Flickr!
GO BACK TO THE SYSTEM THE WAY IT WAS NOW PLEASE!

view photos

rainy hat says:

much easier to use good step forward well done Flickr

💯👍♀️♂️🍆🌈👅😘🍑💋

view photos

gailhampshire says:

I like the new notification format. Lots more information in user friendly form.

view photos

Meino NL says:

I don't like it at all. It's slow.

view photos

DaveSPN says:

Leticia Roncero:

Reckon the best way to resolve is to return to the way it was.
The new way is a total disaster.
However I really don't know why I have commented as Flickr never takes any notice of its clients! And that is a very bad business model.
There have been absolutely no so called improvements in the last four years that have made the Flickr experience more user friendly, in fact most, like this one to notifications, have the opposite effect.
Flickr just gets worse every time a change is made.
Time to concentrate on getting the platform actually working properly!

view photos

SJH Foto says:

DaveSPN:

You are VERY right, Dave. This is something that increasingly irritates me-why does flickr pretend with forums and such? Just tell us what is going to be changed and be done with it. I am not trying to sound rude, but it smacks of hypocrisy to ask for feedback when one really doesn't care about it. It is increasingly obvious that the vast majority of members do not want the new setup, but you are going to do it anyway. So do it-don't ask for feedback on it!

view photos

Roy Richard Llowarch says:

I am struggling with new notifications. It seems very complicated compared to the old system. I am now unable to to mute friends requests and only have the choice of adding as a friend, sending a message or blocking the person! In the past I have always muted Friends requests so they don't clutter up my notifications. I much preferred the easiness of the old notifications

This thread has been closed by Flickr Staff.

(101 to 200 of 1320 replies in New Flickr Notifications Center and Settings available to all members.)
Subscribe to a feed of stuff on this page... Feed – Subscribe to help discussion threads