Help / The Help Forum

This thread has been closed by Flickr Staff.

Hot Topics

[Official Thread] Have an idea for Flickr? Share it here.
Latest: 34 hours ago
New Flickr Notifications Center and Settings available to all members.
Latest: 6 weeks ago
[Updated April 26, 2021] Flickr is moving payments to Stripe
Latest: 11 months ago
Welcome to the Flickr Help Forum! Click here to get started and to read our Forum Guidelines.
Latest: 17 months ago

Current Discussion

Gallery - What's this view of it ? (reply: Design before the 2018 Gallery page re-design.)
Latest: 2 hours ago
No New Notifications
Latest: 3 hours ago
4K Apple TV - Flickr App not working
Latest: 5 hours ago
How to see the see the most recent posts from all the people I follow
Latest: 8 hours ago
[Monitoring Fix] panda........
Latest: 9 hours ago
Why.
Latest: 9 hours ago
Sudden drop in overall views.
Latest: 10 hours ago
[Acknowledged by Flickr Staff] The "Your Inbox Appears Empty" bug strikes again
[Acknowledged by Flickr Staff] Feed page vs. People page
[Acknowledged by Flickr Staff] Recent Activity & Notifications - Very slow loading!
Latest: 11 hours ago
Albums not always showing in uploader
Latest: 16 hours ago
Flickr not working on Samsung smart TV web browser.
Latest: 19 hours ago
More...

Search the Help Forum

New Flickr Notifications Center and Settings available to all members.

Flickr Staff

Leticia Roncero says:

Updates:

9/16/21: Summary of latest reply. If you have further questions or feedback about using the Notifications Center, please write to our Support team. The Recent Activity page will be sunset on December 15, 2021. Our latest reply also lists upcoming improvements that we'll be implementing based on your feedback and additional community feedback that we're taking into consideration.

9/08/21: Acknowledged feedback regarding seeing the total number of faves that a photo has and seeing all of your photos that someone has recently faved (currently notifications is only surfacing 12)

8/17/21: Acknowledged 2 known issues (slow loading and not seeing recent faves)

=======

Today, after months of development, feedback rounds with our members, and hard work, we are continuing our rollout from 25% to 100% of the new Flickr Notifications Center and Notifications Settings pages.

What does this mean?

We’ve expanded the current notifications from the bell icon at the top of Flickr and introduced a new tab for groups you admin. We’ve also introduced a Notifications Center page so you can see your notifications with more screen real estate.

What’s new?

The Notifications Center
The Notifications Center is a rebuilt version of the Recent Activity page designed to surface all of the latest activity related to your Flickr experience. To access the Notifications Center, click on the bell icon in the navigation bar at the top of Flickr, and at the bottom of the dropdown, you’ll see the link that used to read “View Recent Activity” now reads “View all notifications.” When you click that, you’ll be taken to the new Notifications Center, where you’ll be able to access all your notifications, filter your notifications by type (ie.: faves, group invitations, comments on your photos, etc.), and check the latest activity on your photos, groups, and conversations.

Notifications Settings Page
The Notifications Settings page allows you to turn on or mute notifications by type. This page gives you control over your in-site notifications as well as email notifications to decide what you’re notified about, how you’re notified, and even how often. To access the Notifications Settings page, click on the bell icon in the navigation bar at the top of Flickr and you’ll notice a new gear icon that will take you to the Notifications Settings page.

Group Notifications
For groups, we’ve added new notification types to let you know when admins update the group admin blast, as well as group description and rules. Additionally, group admins will now see notifications for the groups they admin as a separate tab so they can easily sort out the priority updates for their groups from personal notifications and from groups they don’t admin. If you’re not interested in receiving group notifications, you can turn them off on your Notifications Settings page. Please note that there’s no option to turn off notifications for all groups at once, so please be intentional about which groups you mute.

New ‘Options’ in your Groups page
As we are rolling out the new Notifications, you’ll also see updates to your Groups list page, where all of your groups are displayed. We’ve changed the name of “Faved Groups” to “Pinned Groups” to avoid conflating with the action of faveing photos/videos. Pinning a group will keep that group at the top of your list, and will ensure you get notified of any new group discussions posted to that group. There’s also a new column called Options, which lets you manage group notifications, show or hide groups from your activity feed, and more. If you desire, you can use the Options column on the Groups list page to mute/unmute each of your groups. To pin a group on your Groups list page, select the Options column three-dot menu next to the desired group and choose “Pin to top of page.” If you want a group pinned to the top of the page, but you don’t want group notifications, you can mute the group from the same menu, or from your Notifications Settings page.

Comment modal in Notifications (how to see all comments made for one of your photos)
When you click on a comment notification from the Notifications Center page, you will get a modal that lets you scroll through all the comments on the photo without leaving the Notifications dropdown or Notifications Center. You can also reply to the comments from that modal. For people who like to go through all their comment threads without context switching, this should be a useful workflow for you now.

You can see a video demo of this in action here.

Archiving (changes to how some notifications are presented)
With these changes, you’ll now see notifications for recent activity on your photos, discussions, and groups, rather than seeing every previous interaction associated with that photo/video/group, etc. Let's take an example:

In the old format, let's say I had uploaded a photo five years ago, and it had 45 faves already. If a couple of folks named Pat and John came along and faved it today, the notification would read, "Pat and John and 45 other people faved your photo." We were showing the count of the entire history of faves on the photo in the notification, even though some of the faves might have been five years old.

In the new format with this hypothetical example, you'll get a notification that says, "Pat and John faved your photo." We're surfacing what has happened recently and seems most relevant.

Likewise, we've changed some of the models for how notifications are presented, with the intent to cut down on the noise when, for example, one person faves a bunch of your photos. In the past, if Pat faved ten of your photos, you would have received ten separate notifications. With the new model, we'll now simply show you a batch notification that says "Pat faved ten photos'' with thumbnails for those ten photos. Here is a visual example.

Changes to the Recent Activity page
If you regularly use Recent Activity, you're going to notice a change to the navigation at the bottom of that page. Because we are archiving old notifications as described above, we're not able to maintain pagination at the bottom of Recent Activity. So where you previously could see page 1, 2, 3, etc., until the last page, you will now use a "next →" button to navigate. We’ve added a "start" button as well so that you don't have to use the back arrow on your browser.
If you notice that items you previously muted are showing up for you with new reactions in Recent Activity, this is due to the way the archiving data is stored. If you want to mute comments on a particular photo/video, for example, you’ll need to do that in the new Notifications to have it work on Recent Activity.

If you still regularly use Recent Activity and haven't explored the new Notifications, now is a good time to try the new system. We have spent the past few months monitoring the performance of this new experience and working to incorporate feedback to make sure that everything that you can view in Recent Activity is available in the Notifications Center or elsewhere on Flickr. We are keeping Recent Activity while everyone gets used to the new notifications center, but our plan is to eventually remove this page and focus on making notifications the go-to experience for keeping up with your activity on Flickr. We'll continue fine-tuning notifications, so if you notice anything that doesn't appear to be working as it should or you're unable to accomplish a specific workflow in notifications that you could in recent activity, please let us know here. We've also included an FAQ in our Help Center.

Answers to some FAQs about the new Notifications Center:

“The new system is missing some notifications. For example, I can’t find [X] notification type.”
We built the new Notifications Center with feature parity in mind, which means you should be able to see all the same types of notifications (and other new ones) that you used to see on the Recent Activity page. If you have lots of new activity that you need to manage, the Notifications Center page lets you filter your notifications by type. For example, show only notifications for comments, or only for group invitations, etc. You can select different filters depending on what you want to see. Click on the “All Notifications” dropdown at the top of the notifications list to apply filters.

“On the Recent Activity page, I was able to see individual replies and comments without having to open the actual photo page.”
You can do this from the new Notifications Center as well! When you click on a comment link from the Notifications Center page, you will get a modal that lets you scroll through ALL the comments for that image. You can also reply to the comments from that modal, without leaving the Notifications Center page.

“I want to see the list of people who faved my photo(s) without having to navigate to the actual photo page.”
Similarly to how we brought the comment modal into the new notifications after feedback that folks wanted to be able to see all the comments on a photo without having to go to the photo page, we are looking at how we can bring the fave modal that is currently on the photo page (e.g. “[person 1], [person 2] and [n more people] faved your photo”) into the Notifications Center and under the bell icon. We’ve wanted to update that modal component to have more functionality, so this is a perfect time to do so. We’ll work on that after we get 100% of the community into the new system.
Posted at 11:40AM, 26 August 2021 PDT ( permalink )
cabb88 (staff) edited this topic 6 weeks ago.

(501 to 600 of 1320 replies in New Flickr Notifications Center and Settings available to all members.)
view photos

caminanteK says:

No sé cómo hacer para activar de alguna manera la página de actividad...
Totalmente negativo el nuevo modelo.
Posted 2 months ago. ( permalink )

view photos

mbmayorka says:

No me gustan los cambios nuevos que habéis efectuado.
Todo mucho mas engorroso y complicado.
Mezclar notificaciones sobre los grupos y sobre la actividad en mis fotos, no me parece una buena idea. Imposible desactivar las informaciones sobre cada vez que modifican un grupo. Además, la información sobre grupos es muy engorrosa y nada relevante...

view photos

MurderWithMirrors says:

I haven't gotten any kind of activity on my photostream in almost 2 days. This is not normal, & I think it's because of whatever you're doing. I hate the notifications page, it doesn't tell me how many faves are on each individual photo without actually going into that photo. You see all these groups? flickr.com/search/groups/?text=faves you have effectively closed them, because nobody is going to have an easy way of knowing how many faves there are on a photo so they can put it in the correct group. Did you bother to ask anybody what they wanted? Or even if they wanted a different motivations page? I doubt it. I don't even know why I'm bothering to post this comment, Flickr doesn't care, they have a shiny new notifications toy they can use to show they made "upgrades", whether the "upgrade" is good or wanted by the people who are paying them is irrelevant, just as long as they have a reason to charge more money, Flickr is happy.

view photos

Peter Steel says:

Noooo! Why does everything have to change all the time. As many have said, if it ain't broke, don't fix it, and I don't particularly want to be bombarded with e.mails all the time. Cheers. Peter.

view photos

Experiments in Dreaming says:

This new format just makes things harder - instead of seeing all my recent activity, I have to look separately at "comments", "faves," and "group invitations."

Please bring back the old format!!

view photos

~ Kia ~ says:

Leticia Roncero: I don't normally like 'techie changes' but with this, I feel like I have nothing to complain about - what on earth will I do now? haha

Seriously, I like this very much. It's quick, easy and just downright in-your-face-simple. Thank you ♥

view photos

louise.woodstock says:

Prefer the old version! As mentioned above if it ain't broke don't fix it.

view photos

stephencurtin says:

Very confusing. Either to much or the wrong things. No way to customize it. Also messed with the "Recent activity". With custom you would get page numbers at the bottom and could scroll through. Now it is "next" tab and when you page through data repeats or is out of order. Very confusing now.

view photos

Wolf Blackstorm's Shenanigans (Blogger) says:

I do NOT like this 'update' to notifications at all, it's a horrid mess, a headache to read through.

As others are saying its so hard to read beween the comments/fave/group invites as well as when a group updates its rules.

Its like a secretary has just handed in their quit notice and thrown all the papers in the air and now your left to shift through it all and pick up the pieces and work out what went where!!

Give us an option to change it back please!!

view photos

monon738 says:

Don't like it..to much info. Just want my favs and comments.

view photos

BITH* says:

The Recent Activity pages were always my first port of call on flickr and it was so easy on the old system to see what replies there were to my comments; what other people had been saying about my photos over the previous 24 hours and then for me to post any follow-up comments. The new system is much more complicated and time-consuming and I don't like it at all. Really don't like it.

At the very least, as a paying customer, let me have the choice as to which system to use, old or new, rather than flickr unilaterally turning off the old system even though it is abundantly clear from other peoples' comments that there is a considerable demand for it to continue.

view photos

David Hoffman '41 says:

Awkward, clumsy, disjointed, fragmented. Why not have all information on one page? It's significant to me to see the correlation between faves and comments--and now this requires more clicks. Information on photos should be grouped in order to have a better overview. I don't want to see description changes to groups. I can easily do that when I'm om a group page. Nothing much redeemable here. Change for change sake is a fruitless endeavor. These are initial responses, and I'm sure I'll have more negative reactions.

view photos

johngpt says:

In this Notifications, I get two notifications each time someone clicks reply to a comment.

One notification says that so and so mentioned you in a comment at...
The second notification says so and so commented on a photo you commented on at...

This is not a very well thought out manner of notifying.

It is so much easier seeing the photo in Recent Activity with the list of who had faved and the list of comments.

Recent Activity was an extremely effective and efficient method for photographers to keep track of activity.

Notifications is nowhere near as efficient or effective.

The powers that be here at Flickr should abandon this Notifications and restore the mute button to Recent Activity.

view photos

mamietherese1 says:

I don't like it. It's complicated and there are too much informations.Faves and comments are sufficient.

view photos

hbp_pix says:

I often want to check on photos that have had no activity for the last month. I often have 100+ pages of activity in a month. The old system made it easy to look at the last page or two of activity. The new system appears to require many reloads to accomplish this.

I do not like this at all!

view photos

sdttds says:

Yes, like the scores of others, I want RA back to where it was (at least provide the option). This update is awful. I just want to be able to see recent comments/faves in a list. I want to be able to respond, when necessary, and to ban problematic people, such as the idiot whose screen name was a white supremacists salute, dating back to WWII (use your imagination, and you'll figure it out) -- I don't care how nice such a person's comments are about my photos. I want to be able to easily spot and ban them. The old settings allowed to to quickly scan for such activity and ban as needed. Also, I want to be able to easily spot and remove offensive comments. If these options are not available, there is nothing you can say to convince me that this is an "improvement."

view photos

Džesika Devic says:

This looks like a step towards becoming another Instagram. This is why I use Flickr - because it's everything Instagram is not. I'm not a fan - stick to what people love about this site.

view photos

Terry Pellmar says:

Please don't remove the Recent Activity option! This new system just makes it MUCH harder to maintain an update on the number of comments and favs each picture has. I will need to visit each picture's page to get the information I want.

The new notification page is not an improvement - it is something different and, for me, more cumbersome.

view photos

BITH* says:

I'll repeat that I find the new system cumbersome and awkward to use so far as Recent Activity is concerned. I'll now add that comparing the two systems, old and new, some activity is definitely missing from the new system.

For example, on the old "Recent Activity" a follow-up comment was made on a photo just two hours ago. That "activity" comment doesn't appear anywhere scrolling down the new system, despite specifically looking for it three times in the utter mess that now appears on my page as "Recent Activity".

So not only is the new system a mess, it isn't even accurate.

view photos

Nazunderground says:

Truly awful! God, can you make it any more annoying and impossible to navigate?? Why would you include the actual comment in the "notifications" that just clutters up the feed and only shows a couple of words... you've still got to go to the image to read it!! USELESS

The feed was cluttered enough before you tinkered with it... to add MORE clutter. Why does every posting site seem to want to imitate every other site? GROUP Think? Lack of any real creativity?

This will make me consider using Flicker LESS, not more. Stop the childish, unneeded changes. It's bad enough the chaos you created on the typical photo feed page, interjecting your blog crap that nobody wants to see anyway, taking up screen space from the frikin photos that people come to flickr to see.

Seeing a SIMPLE LIST of notification is, I don't know.... SANE? now you've got a pile of cluttered, unorganized, useless data that looks like yet another snowflake was given the directive to interject themselves into the real world.

grow up.... enough with the nonsense.

view photos

BITH* says:

Using the bell system to find "comments on photos you've commented on" this is what appears "When you have new notifications, they’ll appear here"

Going back now to the old system that actually works, I discover there have been several follow-up comments over just the last few hours and numerous ones in recent days. So where are they under the new system??

This is a concrete example of how useless, let alone cumbersome, your new Bell system is.

I can only repeat, yet again, stop this unwanted mess now and keep the old "Recent Activity" access from under the "You" dropdown menu. .

view photos

Don Burkett says:

Why spend the time and energy on something that didn't need fixed. I'd prefer you spend your time making this a better interface. Give me the tools to create a web presence I could be proud of. It doesn't have to be a full SmugMug level but something akin to it would be welcome

view photos

Carla@ says:

English is not my language, I am italian.

Please don't remove the old Recent Activity, it was working fine.
Why remove something that many of us prefer? Please turn it back to normal or give us a choice.

view photos

Kernowfile says:

I've spent a little more time getting used to the new notifications center and, superficially it looks attractive - until after a day using it you pop back to "recent activity".

The recent activity page is so much clearer, contains more useful information, in a logical fashion based on a photograph and its related activity. Much easier to use.

Play is made of the Notifications Center page as having "more screen real estate". Utterly wasted space more like, involving far more scrolling/loading to see what can be seen quickly in recent activity.

For me, the only useful additions to the notifications are those for group rejections and acceptances, but I can't turn off those that are not of interest/meaningless, such as the "admin blasts".

Make the new system look like the old but with some additional notifications such as those I've mentioned and you'd be on the right track. I do miss the total number of faves being displayed in notifications of new faves.

If I were being cynical, I would say the withdrawal of recent activity enables no comparison to be made and that comparison shows the notifications center design to be poor.

Is this redesign brought about by a genuine desire to improve the usability of the website or forced by some technical changes necessary to the underlying databases? Just a thought as if it's not the latter, a rethink would be in order.

view photos

Vie Lipowski says:

I want the old Recent Activity back, please ;(

view photos

scilit says:

Drop the idea. It looks like your graphic designers have nothing else to do. There's too much scrolling, too much settings changes, just too much. The old recent activity was clear and logical. It is not daunting for even people with low tech skills. I suggest you stop messing around with what works and do a survey of users to find out what doesn't work and needs fixing.

view photos

galsafrafoto says:

From the very beginning, it was a rather awkward form. The bad thing is that it is impossible to delete those messages to which I have already replied and you have to scroll through the entire list from the very beginning over and over again in search of the next one that requires an answer, which takes a long time. And also not all faves receive messages in the notification list. You have to spend a lot of time to view the faves list under each photo. But it’s impossible to find everyone quickly, and many begin to think that I’m not being polite, because I don’t go to any of their pages and don’t react in any way. However, in the new form, I like the fact that the pictures are grouped for each user and you can immediately see how many pictures the person has faved.

view photos

Romeo (TM) says:

Leticia Roncero:

New notification is too complicated. It looks like a jungle. I'd like it simple like before.

view photos

Riovissi says:

When I right-click an image in the notifications page to open it in a new tab (I have always done this so as to not lose my place when reviewing notifications) it now brings both the new and original tabs to the image page. Before, it would not alter the original page tab. This is problematic for me if I want to read in more detail, for example, what someone wrote in a long comment, then go back to the remaining notifications list. As it stands, I now have to scroll through all the notifications to get back to where I was, each time (my new notifications list was 100 long, making this quite an inconvenience).

view photos

(The) Appleman says:

Leticia Roncero: Does it really matter what "we", the subscription paying members think? Over the years I have stumbled along as various "owners" keep making unnecessary changes - changes that no one on flickr has asked for - changes that serve no real benefit for the paying members. Apparently you need to keep your IT technicians and web designers busy making changes ........and then patronize us member by "asking us" how we like, knowing full well flickr is in control and you (flickr) is going to shove it down our throats regardless whether we like it or not...............

Frankly this Notification thing has always been a "hit or miss" thing from the beginning. I receive some notifications relating to some of my contacts, other times I NEVER receive a notification regarding other contacts EVER! No apparent reason or logic.

view photos

Rodolfo Quinio says:

Vie Lipowski:

I fully agree.

view photos

mcnod says:

(The) Appleman:

and then patronize us member by "asking us" how we like, knowing full well flickr is in control and you (flickr) is going to shove it down our throats regardless whether we like it or not...............

well now, that's a bit harsh. I've seen many tweaks to new features over the year based on member feedback. I've seen complete reversals based on member feedback (new tags going to the top of the list for less than a day). I've seen the new photo page layout scrapped and a third version replacement based on member feedback. I've seen members hate new changes in the beginning and then they have grown to like them after using them for a while (I'm guilty of this one). I've seen pages replaced because they were built on the "old stack" and had to be changed (this one escapes some member's logic and understanding).

view photos

Aleriah Laurent says:

I do not like this one bit.

I don't need to be informed of admin blasts and the like, only things that relate to my own photos & groups, such as faves, when someone ads a photo to my group etc.

The rest is a nuisance, and frankly makes me not want to look at notifications at all.

At least give us the option to decide what we want to be notified about if you wish to change the system.

view photos

Abby's Inept-Images says:

Vie Lipowski:

Rodolfo Quinio:

I was always taught, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". Why take something so simple and make it complicated?

view photos

Ramon Casas says:

Hi there. I love these news. Soon I will update to PRO. Thank you for your dedication to Flickr.

view photos

DeanReen says:

Leticia Roncero:

Why do you keep changing our platform!? If we wanted Flickr to be like Instagram and the rest of those websites we wouldn't be here!

view photos

_love_light_ says:

I love this new system. I shows me things in a far more logical way. Thank you!

view photos

Resa Nova says:

I would prefer to opt in to all the group notifications instead of having to opt out.
Also, a "select all" for disabling the group notifications would be helpful as opposed to having to click every single group.

view photos

Brody J says:

I like it just fine!

view photos

jewel pexie says:

Resa Nova:

Agree completely, I wasted 10 minutes manually turning off each group notification.

That would have taken less than 10 seconds with a "Select all" option, and not much more than that if I wanted to just get notifications with a select few groups that I then wanted to 'opt in' for notifications.

view photos

Flickr Staff

Leticia Roncero says:

Aleriah Laurent:

give us the option to decide what we want to be notified about

Hi Aleriah, the Notifications Settings page allows you to turn on or mute notifications by type, and gives you control over your in-site notifications to decide what you’re notified about.

view photos

Flickr Staff

Leticia Roncero says:

BITH*:

Using the bell system to find "comments on photos you've commented on" this is what appears "When you have new notifications, they’ll appear here"

Hi, can you check here www.flickr.com/account/email to see if you have the setting for "Comments on photos you've commented on" turned off by default? That may explain why you don't see any notifications when applying that filter. If so, you should be able to turn it back on.

view photos

mikeatflikr says:

So far so good for me. It’s a clear improvement over the old version.

view photos

a.cheerful.texas says:

the updated notifications rolled out to me earlier this afternoon and they look like a clear improvement over the old style. no issues so far, but i figured i'd chime in as a counterpoint to the upset-at-change boomers that are shouting about it.

view photos

Ann Stoudt says:

I've only been online today since this new version started, so have not really experimented with it yet. I do like several from one person much better than everything in 1 line. The one feature I would like to see though (and although I have check I can not find an answer to) is why can we not delete our notifications when we want.? Or am I missing that answer?

view photos

Tokyo Jords says:

Absolute trash, I don't want to see all the noise and rubbish on the new notification page. All i wish to see is what i see in the recent activity which is who favs, who follows, who comments, who tags.

view photos

Mauro.B. says:

Non mi piace questa nuova impostazione delle notifiche, ma tanto non siamo noi a decidere, come e' successo anche su FB.

view photos

WalrusTexas says:

Finally am seeing the new version. Mostly good—I especially like the group admin tab, and notice of acceptance/rejection in group posts. I really rely on and act on the actual view and fave counts in recent activity. Would hate to see that go.

view photos

hbp_pix says:

The new system seems to give me one day's activity in two pages.

I regularly go back and make new postings for photos that have had no activity in the past month.

Your new system makes this near impossible.

I suppose this makes your data processing less expensive and that is the reason for cutting the functionality.

How about making the old system part of what you get for having a "Pro" account?

view photos

my.travels says:

Kernowfile:

Is this redesign brought about by a genuine desire to improve the usability of the website or forced by some technical changes necessary to the underlying databases? Just a thought as if it's not the latter, a rethink would be in order.

I assume this is the main reason hidden behind but no one explains this well.

view photos

cnmark says:

I have just been hit with this "improvement".

Unfortunately it is not an improvement at all, it is, in one word: Useless.

Example:
With the Recent Activity I could see 10 (ten) activities on one photo at a glance. Now I can see 1 (one) activity on one photo and to see the older activities on the same photo I have to go down and hit "load more" a couple of times, this is an absolute waste of time if I come back to flickr after a couple of hours or a night of sleep.

I also see the same photo 2 times in the Notifications if somebody faved and commented it. Useless.

Edit, add:
There is also some inconsistency on the new Notifications:
Lets say somebody faved a couple photos in quick succession, then all should be grouped together, the way this thing is apparently supposed to work, giving:
"NNN faved YYY photos" - but it actually does not.
I get NNN faved 3 photos, then the same NNN faved 2 photos, then the same NNN faved 1 photo separately.
Is there a quality control, does anybody actually check this code before release?

This "grouping by user" is also extremely useless if somebody comments on more than 1 (one) photo. Before I could see the actual comments on the activity page, now I have to open each photo page to read the comments, because the Notifications only show NNN commented YYY photos, but not the actual comments. Waste of time, again.

Edit2, add again:
Faves: On the RA page I am able to see the last 10 users who faved a new upload. On the Notifications I only get NNN and YYY others faved... - the same info as under the bell icon, therefore useless again.
Now I have to go to the photo page and open it's fave page to see who all faved it. Again, this is a waste of time if one gets many faves on a new upload.

Edit3, add again, hope that is the last addition:
On top of the above, when I try to refresh/reload the Notifications page because I have new activity shown under the bell icon, I do get a 404 error half of the time.

Now for the Recent Activity mess-up:
I was also able to open the Recent Activity pages in several tabs and then quickly scroll upwards to see the activities in chronological order. Now somebody has messed with the Recent Activity pages and this does not work anymore. the activities chronological order is all messed up.
When hitting the "Next" button the last activity on the first page is say 1 hour ago, the first activity on the next page is 11 hours ago and then after hitting "Next" again I see some activity from 2 hours ago...

Not an improvement, again, useless.

Go back to your bosses and admit that you have wasted employee time and money on producing this.

All in all, it appears to me that whoever designed this (and the new "Feed" on the home page as well) is not really using the site and was most definitely not using it before.

Both, these new "Notifications" and the home page "Feed" may work for people who do not have many followers resp. follow only a couple persons and therefore have only a small amount of activity on their photos resp. a few new uploads to look at.
Both do not work at all for long time users with many followers resp. lots of activity.

BTW - there is a blast of negative opinions in the German help forum as well, but the last time anybody from flickr dropped by over there was "11:40PM, 17 May 2019 CEST" with a now completely outdated downtime note for May 22, 2019.
cnmark edited this topic 2 months ago.

view photos

xhello my name isx says:

I love the new notifications feature. It was a very long time in coming. what I'd like to see, is the ability to leave a group from the group list, by checking a box(as we have in the inbox). Then pressing a remove button to leave selected groups all at once.
I'd love that same ability in the followers page. Also have a search bar to type their name, then use the box to check and click a remove button.

view photos

Clement Tang * says:

cnmark:

Hats off and salute !!!

view photos

Clement Tang * says:

Carla@:

I can't see why they keep ignoring so many disappointed users?

Bring back the previously working RA!

I don't object people who like the Bell but Bring back the previously working RA!

view photos

xhello my name isx says:

I was also having problems with seeing new followers in the followers page. I'd get a notification of 5 new followers for example, and only 3 would show up in the follower page. then the next day, those 2 that didn't show up for me, showed up.
Just as now, I am seeing followers who added me days ago and are just now appearing in the new notifications center.
I hope this new notifications center fixes that bug permanently.

view photos

Wonderlandfan says:

This SUCKS!!!! Why Flickr Why, so many have left and it's heartbreaking since this has always been such a fun place. Flickr doesn't need to be like the other nonfriendly sights just to look at pictures favor and move on - it was always about relationships and enjoying conversations about the pictures - Wow just wow!!!!!! AWFUL changes!!!!! I've also notice most changes are to make it user friendly for smart phones and not on my desk top so that sucks too!!! Just take a moment and think please just think!!!!

view photos

johnb/Derbys/UK says:

Whats point of reply to this topic,the vote seems to be revert back to old style but nobody at flickr listens.

view photos

tmr_flickr2009 says:

I like the new style. I usually hate changes, but this is better. Give your self $10,000 bonus or a million.

view photos

Bogger4. says:

Please go back to the old system, it’s a complete mess :-( and work on things that do need repairing

view photos

Rodolfo Quinio says:

The bottom line which no one has brought up is that this change will make it profitable for Flickr. They eliminate the Recent Activity / Activity on my photos, this will free a lot of links / storage. Lesser storage costs less money. Bottom line is this makes Flickr more money at the expense of the paying members.
If they push through, I'm not renewing my subscription.
Many will possibly do the same. Flickr ends up with lesser money.
Maybe it's time to move on.

view photos

cnmark says:

Addendum to my rant above:

1. Grouping of (new) faves is only done for the past 2 to 3 hours?

I just got NNN and 57 others faved... for my new upload - that was OK.

But then also:
NNN and 5 (five) others faved... for a photo that has 344 faves total in the past 24 hours.

and
NNN and 2 (two) others faved... for a photo that has 350 faves total in the past 36 hours.

and
NNN and 6 (six) others faved... for a photo that has 226 faves total in the past 14 hours.

By cross-checking on the respective photos "faves" pages, i could see that the Notifications apparently track only the past 2 to 3 hours of faving history. Is this intentional? At least it is a rather irritating behaviour.

2. Grouping of comment activities on a single photo:
I just got NNN and MMM commented on your photo: "Excellent !!" - as if both posted the same comment, while it was only the last comment actually displayed. Useless, once again, because I had to open the respective photo page to see what the other person wrote

3. Photos added to galleries:
On the RA page I do get a link to the gallery a photo is added to, so I can check and remove it if I do not want it there.
In the Notifications I only see NNN and 2 others added your photo to galleries. - this means I will (again) have to open the respective photo page to see what gallery it is added to. Once again a waste of time and - useless info in the Notifications.
cnmark edited this topic 2 months ago.

view photos

George Plakides says:

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Leave it alone as it was.

view photos

Clement Tang * says:

Rodolfo Quinio:

I see why they are so determined!!!

I wonder if they can scrap the Bell, they could save money, too!!!

view photos

Andrzej Kocot says:

Podoba mi się . Więcej dokładnej informacji to właściwy kieruner drilowania danych .

view photos

Miss Mandarina says:

I don't like it, it's horrible.

view photos

Antonio Vaccarini says:

For a long time now, when Flickr works normally, there is always someone who makes it worse.
Anyone who pays € 66 each year would be entitled to greater respect

view photos

Helena de Riquer says:

A nightmare.

view photos

Antonio Vaccarini says:

I would like the old "recent activity / activity on my photos"

view photos

Francesco Dini says:

finally you imorovement the notification in the web version, it was very boring to see always "49" people faved your photos also if the number was > 49

view photos

Jane Statham says:

Horrible and it takes twice as long to use than the old version.
Can we either have that back or an option between the two systems?

view photos

trniheeca says:

i really appreaciate the new notification. it provides quickly what i need to know. thank you flickr team.

view photos

cnmark says:

Francesco Dini:

Actually this does not work as you describe (or works only for new uploads over the past 2-3 hours), see here, item 1.

Instead of always 49+ now one gets even less than actual.

view photos

BITH* says:

I thought I would make a further cross-check as to whether the content of the old "Recent Activity" page is the same as the new "Notifications Recent Activity" NO, it isn't.

Here is just one example. Between 8 and 10 hours ago, on someone else's photo, I made two comments and received two replies from the person who posted the photo. They show up quite clearly on the old Recent Activity page via the drop down from "You". Despite searching three times through the new system they are nowhere to be seen.

So how the heck am I supposed to hold a dialogue with another flickr member and monitor follow-up comments? To put it bluntly, the new system simply doesn't work anywhere near as well as the old system, whatever the pros and cons of the layout might be.

view photos

cnmark says:

BITH*:

To put it bluntly, the new system simply doesn't work anywhere near as well as the old system

Agree. We have a severe loss of information now.

view photos

mdiepraam (50 mln views!) says:

I'm lost without Recent Activity/Activity on my photos (ordered in neat pages instead of the cut up form that is now) telling where I left off reacting on comments.

I now have to manually go scroll through the new notifications to do the same thing. So cumbersome!

view photos

mdiepraam (50 mln views!) says:

However, I do like the addition of being notified whether a photo was accepted or rejected by a group admin.

view photos

Steffen und Christina says:

Hi, first of all thanks for working on an update to the site, it's great to see flickr evolve. I would like to send you some bugs I realized and give some feedback:

1)
MOST IMPORTANT (!!!): The activity shown in the Android flickr app under the bell icon is different from the bell icon on the internet page.

There a things missing and disappearing in the app, e.g. I don't see the latest fav someone gave me in the app (just saw it for a short time and it then the notification dissapeared), I don't see any comment in the app that is bundled on the website ("commented on 8 photos").

So people write comments to me and I don't realize it on the app, which I use a lot. :-/ This would have to be solved ASAP.

2)
If someone commented on several photos I have to click on each thumbnail to go to the photo page, scroll down (!) and see the comment (very frustrating).

Why couldn't there be a popup on each thumbnail (or an an overlay comment icon to click on) in the bell-dropdown-menu and on the notification page that works like if clicking on a text in the bell-dropdown-menu. The bundled comments are really nice - just the workflow to read all the comments is relly bad ;-)

3)
If you click the bell icon here in the forum it jumps to the notification page and doesn't open the drop down menu. Also happens on e.g. the collections page, the maps page (and probably all old-style-pages)

4)
As others mentioned: There is too much white space on the notifications page - Why not write the whole comment into the line so you don't have to click on the text. Waiting for a page to load even if it is fast is not a nice experience - it should be all visible in the notification center (it should be a "center" not a "link collection")

view photos

overthemoon says:

I thought it was OK as it was before.

Now I have looked into the notifications from groups I admin and see things that were posted 5 years go, and which I saw five years go... I don't know how to get rid of these ancient notifications; all I can do when clicking on the three dots is mute the group, which I don't want to do, or block the member, which I don't want either.
overthemoon edited this topic 2 months ago.

view photos

Kenneth Lau (ka keung) says:

Just a quick one.
The notification on Browser(Safari) looks fine. But the one on my iPhone is confusing, just confusing.

view photos

René Mouton says:

Great you are updating things, but less great you interfered with recent activity. I use it a lot and now I am missing comments and faves. The drop down from the bell icon is a very bad replacement: it shows less and I have to click to see more. Please restore the old recent activity!

view photos

maxim de winter..on /off says:

Have you noticed that some do not like the new notifications? Can you at least give us a choice between that and the old recent activity page?

view photos

abstractartangel77 says:

Why - when clicking under the Groups option - is nothing in any chronological order? It's giving me info on stuff that happened 3 or 4 years ago in groups when I scroll down after the first dozen notifications, which I have no interest in whatsoever. And the first notifications aren't even up to date.

It's the same when I click under Group Invitations - there's no chronological order whatsoever. Why?? I got invitations yesterday that I've not yet added to the groups in questions but it doesn't show these - the second one down is an invitation from 2 months ago, and subsequent ones are from 3, 4 and more months ago and even from several years ago.

I'm not impressed at all!

view photos

Parowan496 says:

I'm sure others have mentioned this - there's way too many comments to read - but I don't like this "new" system. Too much stuff listed that I could care less about. Maybe a tab for listing just comments on my photos could be added?

Sorry for yelling but THIS IS AWFUL !!!

view photos

erwan 2949 says:

if this new notitications system is maintained, I am no more interested in a paying Flickr, and I won't renew my payment

view photos

indyraf says:

somebody likes one of my pictures, so i am interested in what he makes, after clikking some pictures i return to the likes' and it starts at the top again.
so you have to scroll all over again.
the old one was more user friendly, please give us a choice again!

view photos

Kanga-Lorraine says:

This white bell is now absolutely useless and a waste of time I just clicked on it to try and see recent activity on my photos only to have it bring up awards and invites from early 2020, why on earth would I want that!!!!!
Please bring back what worked, it wasn't broken,but this new system sure is badly broken. and a waste of time..

view photos

luis cozeto says:

Leticia Roncero:

I really like it !

view photos

Bogger4. says:

Please put the old system back ;-( How do I remove comments from my notifications ? there is add comment button now ?

OK Ive found that you need to go to the top of the page and click comments on your photos ?
Bogger4. edited this topic 2 months ago.

view photos

cnmark says:

Donkey Hot Tea:

There's a small minority of members praising the new Notifications

Agree. Only a minority is praising.

In both the old thread and this new thread there are roughly about 25% positive and 75% negative comments.

Even taking into account that persons (like me) who are not happy with the change are more likely to speak up than persons who are happy with the change, this should be an indication for flickr staff to admit defeat and either get rid of the new Notifications or fix the RA page which becomes broken when the new Notifications are launched for a particular user.

view photos

Ad DeCort (NL) says:

Kanga-Lorraine:

Yes, indeed. What a mess again!

view photos

Antonio Vaccarini says:

Donkey Hot Tea:

I went to see the photostream of some of them and I found the answer to your doubts

view photos

BugsAlive says:

Totally don't like the new version. The old system was simple and easy to check through. The new version is badly designed and there is more information than is needed by most of us. It is a 0 out of 10 from me.

view photos

mcnod says:

cnmark:

roughly about 25% positive and 75% negative comments.

People who like the change will generally post once and move on. People upset with the change will tend to post multiple times, sometimes only to agree with each other or to say "well stated". For example, further investigation shows that in the last 7 hours you have posted your thoughts here 5 different times. The largest group of members will not post at all, they will just go with the flow . . .

view photos

Vincent DiPietro says:

I think this is a bad idea. I am currently a moderator for a group. I plan to quit because of the persons who complain that their photo was not accepted. I don't need arguments from cry-babies who send in bad photos and then complain that it wasn't accepted in a group.

Also, I don't need to know what group accepted my photos or not. If I show a good Photo I'l know though peoples responses "likes" or critique or comments.

view photos

cnmark says:

mcnod:

FYI - I disregarded all the multiple posts by the same users and blurbs where people were only talking to each other when doing my count, as I expected some (like me) to pop up several times.

view photos

Alan Hughes Mach says:

Awful, why mess about with something that worked fine. How do I stop all notifications from groups except for the invites, there is a manage tab but no select all option, if I deselected them all individually would that mean no invite notifications also ?, personally I find this new system a backward step rather than an improvement.

view photos

mcnod says:

cnmark:

I disregarded all the multiple posts by the same users and blurbs where people were only talking to each other when doing my count

But that is not what you "reported". You reported 75% negative comments, 25% positive comments, 0% neutral comments. I find these numbers highly suspect - anyway, carry on, fight the good fight, campaign for the modifications that you hope to see . . .

view photos

A.G. Photographe says:

each update are worst than preview ... how you make this ?

view photos

Sebastian Pier Filip says:

I hate it - I get unwanted notifications from groups & topics. 0/10

view photos

Loverdag - unedited - says:

As others already pointed out for many of us to see who faved our photos is essential.

Now we cannot see that, we are given this very not useful info instead "Chavy and 82 others faved".
Who are they "82" others"? Where we can find their names in the notifications for purpose of clicking on them and being able to interact with them?

I can do that with the one random name only, in my example with Chavy gyazo.com/656c9a3b53e8169fc2795fab546d11b8
It would be useful if it would be available for every account who faved the photo. To make it available only for one random name from all of them makes very little sense to me.

This thread has been closed by Flickr Staff.

(501 to 600 of 1320 replies in New Flickr Notifications Center and Settings available to all members.)
Subscribe to a feed of stuff on this page... Feed – Subscribe to help discussion threads