Help / The Help Forum

This thread has been closed by Flickr Staff.

Hot Topics

[Official Thread] Have an idea for Flickr? Share it here.
Latest: 14 hours ago
New Flickr Notifications Center and Settings available to all members.
Latest: 6 weeks ago
[Updated April 26, 2021] Flickr is moving payments to Stripe
Latest: 11 months ago
Welcome to the Flickr Help Forum! Click here to get started and to read our Forum Guidelines.
Latest: 17 months ago

Current Discussion

Why.
Latest: 13 minutes ago
blood donor table
Latest: 30 minutes ago
shagun sweets
Latest: 44 minutes ago
Albums not always showing in uploader
Latest: 3 hours ago
4K Apple TV - Flickr App not working
Latest: 4 hours ago
Group Cover Photo Can't Be Changed in Beta version
Recently uploaded albums only partially displayed
Gallery - What's this view of it ? (reply: Design before the 2018 Gallery page re-design.)
Unable to rest password
Latest: 11 hours ago
Search box top right anomaly
Latest: 12 hours ago
Does Anyone Know ?
Latest: 13 hours ago
Can't Comment?
Latest: 16 hours ago
More...

Search the Help Forum

New Flickr Notifications Center and Settings available to all members.

Flickr Staff

Leticia Roncero says:

Updates:

9/16/21: Summary of latest reply. If you have further questions or feedback about using the Notifications Center, please write to our Support team. The Recent Activity page will be sunset on December 15, 2021. Our latest reply also lists upcoming improvements that we'll be implementing based on your feedback and additional community feedback that we're taking into consideration.

9/08/21: Acknowledged feedback regarding seeing the total number of faves that a photo has and seeing all of your photos that someone has recently faved (currently notifications is only surfacing 12)

8/17/21: Acknowledged 2 known issues (slow loading and not seeing recent faves)

=======

Today, after months of development, feedback rounds with our members, and hard work, we are continuing our rollout from 25% to 100% of the new Flickr Notifications Center and Notifications Settings pages.

What does this mean?

We’ve expanded the current notifications from the bell icon at the top of Flickr and introduced a new tab for groups you admin. We’ve also introduced a Notifications Center page so you can see your notifications with more screen real estate.

What’s new?

The Notifications Center
The Notifications Center is a rebuilt version of the Recent Activity page designed to surface all of the latest activity related to your Flickr experience. To access the Notifications Center, click on the bell icon in the navigation bar at the top of Flickr, and at the bottom of the dropdown, you’ll see the link that used to read “View Recent Activity” now reads “View all notifications.” When you click that, you’ll be taken to the new Notifications Center, where you’ll be able to access all your notifications, filter your notifications by type (ie.: faves, group invitations, comments on your photos, etc.), and check the latest activity on your photos, groups, and conversations.

Notifications Settings Page
The Notifications Settings page allows you to turn on or mute notifications by type. This page gives you control over your in-site notifications as well as email notifications to decide what you’re notified about, how you’re notified, and even how often. To access the Notifications Settings page, click on the bell icon in the navigation bar at the top of Flickr and you’ll notice a new gear icon that will take you to the Notifications Settings page.

Group Notifications
For groups, we’ve added new notification types to let you know when admins update the group admin blast, as well as group description and rules. Additionally, group admins will now see notifications for the groups they admin as a separate tab so they can easily sort out the priority updates for their groups from personal notifications and from groups they don’t admin. If you’re not interested in receiving group notifications, you can turn them off on your Notifications Settings page. Please note that there’s no option to turn off notifications for all groups at once, so please be intentional about which groups you mute.

New ‘Options’ in your Groups page
As we are rolling out the new Notifications, you’ll also see updates to your Groups list page, where all of your groups are displayed. We’ve changed the name of “Faved Groups” to “Pinned Groups” to avoid conflating with the action of faveing photos/videos. Pinning a group will keep that group at the top of your list, and will ensure you get notified of any new group discussions posted to that group. There’s also a new column called Options, which lets you manage group notifications, show or hide groups from your activity feed, and more. If you desire, you can use the Options column on the Groups list page to mute/unmute each of your groups. To pin a group on your Groups list page, select the Options column three-dot menu next to the desired group and choose “Pin to top of page.” If you want a group pinned to the top of the page, but you don’t want group notifications, you can mute the group from the same menu, or from your Notifications Settings page.

Comment modal in Notifications (how to see all comments made for one of your photos)
When you click on a comment notification from the Notifications Center page, you will get a modal that lets you scroll through all the comments on the photo without leaving the Notifications dropdown or Notifications Center. You can also reply to the comments from that modal. For people who like to go through all their comment threads without context switching, this should be a useful workflow for you now.

You can see a video demo of this in action here.

Archiving (changes to how some notifications are presented)
With these changes, you’ll now see notifications for recent activity on your photos, discussions, and groups, rather than seeing every previous interaction associated with that photo/video/group, etc. Let's take an example:

In the old format, let's say I had uploaded a photo five years ago, and it had 45 faves already. If a couple of folks named Pat and John came along and faved it today, the notification would read, "Pat and John and 45 other people faved your photo." We were showing the count of the entire history of faves on the photo in the notification, even though some of the faves might have been five years old.

In the new format with this hypothetical example, you'll get a notification that says, "Pat and John faved your photo." We're surfacing what has happened recently and seems most relevant.

Likewise, we've changed some of the models for how notifications are presented, with the intent to cut down on the noise when, for example, one person faves a bunch of your photos. In the past, if Pat faved ten of your photos, you would have received ten separate notifications. With the new model, we'll now simply show you a batch notification that says "Pat faved ten photos'' with thumbnails for those ten photos. Here is a visual example.

Changes to the Recent Activity page
If you regularly use Recent Activity, you're going to notice a change to the navigation at the bottom of that page. Because we are archiving old notifications as described above, we're not able to maintain pagination at the bottom of Recent Activity. So where you previously could see page 1, 2, 3, etc., until the last page, you will now use a "next →" button to navigate. We’ve added a "start" button as well so that you don't have to use the back arrow on your browser.
If you notice that items you previously muted are showing up for you with new reactions in Recent Activity, this is due to the way the archiving data is stored. If you want to mute comments on a particular photo/video, for example, you’ll need to do that in the new Notifications to have it work on Recent Activity.

If you still regularly use Recent Activity and haven't explored the new Notifications, now is a good time to try the new system. We have spent the past few months monitoring the performance of this new experience and working to incorporate feedback to make sure that everything that you can view in Recent Activity is available in the Notifications Center or elsewhere on Flickr. We are keeping Recent Activity while everyone gets used to the new notifications center, but our plan is to eventually remove this page and focus on making notifications the go-to experience for keeping up with your activity on Flickr. We'll continue fine-tuning notifications, so if you notice anything that doesn't appear to be working as it should or you're unable to accomplish a specific workflow in notifications that you could in recent activity, please let us know here. We've also included an FAQ in our Help Center.

Answers to some FAQs about the new Notifications Center:

“The new system is missing some notifications. For example, I can’t find [X] notification type.”
We built the new Notifications Center with feature parity in mind, which means you should be able to see all the same types of notifications (and other new ones) that you used to see on the Recent Activity page. If you have lots of new activity that you need to manage, the Notifications Center page lets you filter your notifications by type. For example, show only notifications for comments, or only for group invitations, etc. You can select different filters depending on what you want to see. Click on the “All Notifications” dropdown at the top of the notifications list to apply filters.

“On the Recent Activity page, I was able to see individual replies and comments without having to open the actual photo page.”
You can do this from the new Notifications Center as well! When you click on a comment link from the Notifications Center page, you will get a modal that lets you scroll through ALL the comments for that image. You can also reply to the comments from that modal, without leaving the Notifications Center page.

“I want to see the list of people who faved my photo(s) without having to navigate to the actual photo page.”
Similarly to how we brought the comment modal into the new notifications after feedback that folks wanted to be able to see all the comments on a photo without having to go to the photo page, we are looking at how we can bring the fave modal that is currently on the photo page (e.g. “[person 1], [person 2] and [n more people] faved your photo”) into the Notifications Center and under the bell icon. We’ve wanted to update that modal component to have more functionality, so this is a perfect time to do so. We’ll work on that after we get 100% of the community into the new system.
Posted at 11:40AM, 26 August 2021 PDT ( permalink )
cabb88 (staff) edited this topic 6 weeks ago.

(601 to 700 of 1320 replies in New Flickr Notifications Center and Settings available to all members.)
view photos

Pale Male says:

i dont like it ....
the only one thing everyone wants you didnt set.

is a mess, not intuitive and not helpfull . bleah
Posted 2 months ago. ( permalink )

view photos

An_Anteros says:

Leticia Roncero:

A couple of very serious issues, although I generally like changes and going forward not being the one who criticizes every change (very often in virtual world), this time I am not happy, at all:

- "Mute" button has now disappeared in the Recent Activity

- Showing the rejecting of photos in highly curated groups will downgrade the quality. Simply stated, there are authors who submit many images, some are great and deserve to be in the group, some not. Wondering did you thought about the consequences before implementing such a change...

- Not having the option to turn off notifications for all groups at once is a terrible burden in doing it manualy. Notification should be menaingful, not poping up for every second for something many users don't need.

As I conclusion, I see it as a serious downgrade, enchanced by the feeling that there was maybe a space for tweek or two, but not at all of of this.

And would be very happy if you finally listen the majority of user oppinions. They are very clear for this change.

view photos

Roy Mildor / Designer says:

I don´t need to know if a group admin changes the group description. As I am member of many groups this notes spam my notices, you can stop that

view photos

Viejito says:

Roy Mildor / Designer:

you can stop that
You can stop it yourself by using the ... three-dot menu.

view photos

Viejito:

need set for every single group? serious ? there are too much gosh

view photos

and now the button LAST ACTIVITIES don´t work anymore, site do not open !

view photos

Carter and Cat says:

I like it! Looks good, and is completely customizable in your settings. Thank you!

view photos

timclarkcov says:

Oh Christ it is dreadful. If I want to have Facebook style notification, I would be on Facebook. You are litreally bombarding me with comments from people I have no connection with, no interest in and for no reason at all.

Now I have a whole list of messages to wade through to find the ones that are relevant.

view photos

bballchico says:

thanks..i love the notifications..gives me more feedback that i like..

view photos

Philip Wood Photography says:

My initial reaction was if it ain't broke; don't fix it. But after a day of working with it I can appreciate the improvements. A lot of the comments on this page appear to knee-jerk reactions.

view photos

PentlandPirate free as a tame penguin can be says:

Nope, I don't like it. It intrudes far too much. The previous version was about the right scale. I'm not interested in knowing about every fave...they mean nothing

view photos

pauluk1234 says:

I am not sure it matters what members think 95% did no seem to like the awful side info banner taking up so much room of little interest and is still there.

view photos

scott1346 says:

don't like the new bell and its lousy accounting...!

view photos

dr.milker says:

Possibly the worst change Flickr has ever made, and that's saying something. I don't want notifications from groups, and I have to go through each one individually and turn it off? Seriously? Is anyone actually in charge up there? At least give a button to turn off all group notifications in a single click if we don't want them. Plus all the other criticisms people have mentioned so far, and probably a bunch more nobody has thought of yet.

view photos

Patrick (1945) says:

Have returned from a vacation and find these changes a total disaster for me. Previously the recent activity was in chronological order, with page numbers and that suited me perfectly. Now the same image can be seen on three different pages, why? The counter (bell) to tell how many postings that were to be followed up, now only shows what has gone on since the last time visited. To have the facility to mute was also useful on others activity, once muted I knew the rest had to be replied to.
I would like my profile to be as it was before these changes were made, I pay a yearly charge for the pleasure of using the site and enjoying what others have posted, now you have taken the pleasure out.
Your assistance please.

view photos

kirstycd3 says:

I prefer the old page
as the new one takes over your full screen
stopping you browsing at he same time

view photos

(Sue Lockhart Images) says:

I am finding my way around the updates at the moment. One thing I have noticed, which is helpful is when a photo is rejected by an admin of a group it shows up in notifications. There was no way of knowing before and sometimes it is hard to remember which group you submitted to.

view photos

Diane M Schuller says:

Leticia Roncero:

I'm not sure what or why all these negative responses. I really like the changes. Far more helpful and I don't always then have to click on the commenters page in order to see what their comment was. And I also like seeing the admin updates to the groups so I don't have to go hunting at each individual one.

Thank you!

view photos

Linda, Fortuna future says:

In photography, the most interesting subject is easily lost in a cluttered background. Minimalism and Negative Space and Bokeh make a subject stand out.

What happened to KISS? That used to be a guiding philosophy in the business world. Keep It Simple, Stupid.

When you notify us of absolutely everything, nothing will get noticed and the notifications become yet another annoyance in life to be ignored and deleted or sent directly to the spam folder.

Too many choices and too many notifications are _not_ a good thing.

Trying to please everyone about everything all the time is an exercise in futility.

KISS. Please.

view photos

Jaedde & Sis says:

They might be android and iPhone friendly. But I use a good old fashioned PC when handling my own and enjoying other's photos on Flickr.
Having been a member for 16 years, I have commented on - now - way too many photos.

view photos

ladyinpurple says:

It's too much!

view photos

fogline says:

yet another incentive to develop my own website

view photos

MeikB says:

Horrible and even worse -this mess is meant to replace also the “recent activity” section!
Definitive need to cancel my subscription - luckily, I am on a monthly payment!
Found this information while looking for a fix for "recent Activity" issue that muting was no available anymore:
“… At this time, we are not going to focus on improvements or fixes to the Recent Activity page and eventually, this page will be removed (& replaced with the new Notification Center).
We encourage everyone to check out the new Notification Center. If you have any feedback around this update, we would like to keep it in one place, we ask that the conversation continues in the official thread:
Ramping New Flickr Notifications Center and Settings to all members
I am closing this thread. Thanks for understanding! …”
www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157719760490766/

view photos

MeikB says:

Patrick (1945):

Hi I am only another, also annoyed, user - see here to lose all hope that they will fix anything:

view photos

ladyinpurple says:

It keeps repeating itself!

view photos

MeikB says:

An_Anteros:

Hi I am only another, user - see here to "Recent Activity" page will be closed soon:

view photos

kurtwolf303 says:

MeikB:

Yes, very many of us lost hope. It`s like talking to a wall, when you post in this thread, You always get the stereotype same message from staff, or no answer at all.
My subscription ends in December and I will not renew it.

view photos

Mark Kaletka says:

Notifications are totally broken in the Android app.

view photos

ARTofCOOP says:

hate it!

view photos

ZGrmy says:

Just want notifications related to my own photos. I really do NOT need to know when an admin updates a group.

view photos

my.travels says:

Patrick (1945):

I agree

view photos

my.travels says:

kurtwolf303:

Same here.. My PRO subscription ends on October 19 and I will not renew it.

view photos

albyn.davis says:

For those who think there is a "majority opinion" in this thread, you should keep in mind that this thread is not a random sampling of the millions of Flickr members.
The thread simply represents those who were motivated, for good or ill, to write something here.
Don't know if the Flickr business is entirely a democracy.

view photos

Avalia Ferrentino says:

First of all, I really like it!

I don't know if this is the final design, but I'd love to see a separate possibility in switching on / off types of group activity notices.

I'm really interested in which groups accept and reject my photo's, but the updates in group descriptions, admin blasts etc... not so much.

Also when someone adjusts a group description they usually update everything, causing three different notifications for basically one group description update.

view photos

salemvonzombeh says:

This is an awful change. It's nothing but clutter, confusion, a pain in the butt. The other was quick, simple, and easy. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. It's sure broke now.

view photos

mcnod says:

kurtwolf303:

My subscription ends in December and I will not renew it.

Are we nearing the end of long goodbye?
www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157674166655957/#reply7...

view photos

sdttds says:

albyn.davis:

But they should listen to customer feedback, if they want to stay in business. This phenomenon is no different than people leaving Yelp or Amazon, etc. Not everyone does, but if the overwhelming number of responses that are left are negative, a company wants to stay in business should be motivated to consider doing what most of those who were motivated to leave a review are asking, especially if means undoing an unpopular change. As many have said, "if it it ain't broke, don't 'fix' it,." and "don't turn us into Instagram."

view photos

Adraf says:

The new notifications make it all more complicated. They take longer for loading. They are badly handable. There was nothing wrong about the old notifications.. Why don't you guys use your time and effort to remove the countless bugs of the Uploadr, Organizr or the whole group section?

view photos

joeke pieters says:

When someone gives you a comment longer than say three words, you have to open a drop down menu to read the comment, in Recent Activity you could read the entire comment unless it was a very long one, then you had to open the photo, so in most cases the New Notification Center force you to make one click more.
When someone gives you comments on more than one photo, you have to open the photos to read the comments, so more clicks.
In Recent Activity you could also see when there was interaction between the ones who give comments, in the New Notification Center that is impossible to see.
For me the New Notification Center is more time consuming and doesn't give an overview on the activities, it only shows that there is activity, I can't say that is an improvement. I am sure there are useful tools in the New Notification Center and you can use them in addition to Recent Activity, but the New Notification Center can't replace Recent Activity!

view photos

Dvaran says:

I really, really dislike the changes. I just had to waste 10 minutes of my life, not to mention stress on my repetitive motion injury, manually shutting off every group notification. You could have at least put a button that would let you shut them all off at once.

Have you guys ever heard the saying "if it's not broke, don't fix it?" Seriously. No one wants to read all that useless group junk. The only new group thing I'd even be remotely interested in is being notified when my photo was accepted and/or rejected. But I'd rather do without that bit than to get spammed with notices about every single thing someone does to a group. Seriously, just turn it back to the way it was and leave it alone.

view photos

my.travels says:

joeke pieters:

I am sure there are useful tools in the New Notification Center and you can use them in addition to Recent Activity, but the New Notification Center can't replace Recent Activity!

Well said

view photos

my.travels says:

It is interesting to see a group notification from 5 years ago

"Alleged Wire created the topic bristol xxxxx.
British T......
·
5y ago"

What am I going to do with this? I have to turn on the group I admin, but then I see a whole list of notifications from many years ago.

view photos

Design_Ex says:

We must be able to disable all notifications from a change to a single-click group. Currently click on each group one by one ....

view photos

Clement Tang * says:

joeke pieters:

Unlike RA, the Bell keeps you in the dark.

It is extremely time consuming.

This is a sad predicament. Unfortunately my annual fees are already paid up till 2023.

view photos

erwan 2949 says:

i tried "custom views" and it seems better, but I only saw recent faves, recent follower, and some comments one week old, no recent comments, that"s is in the old RA, but with the bell, I noticed that some notifications can't be muted by the 3 dots, such as grouped faved and some comment I don't understand why

view photos

Patrick (1945) says:

W H Y ?

view photos

PhotoPLDR22 says:

Beaucoup plus agréable. Bonne initiative !

view photos

Helena de Riquer says:

I have already disabled my automatic renewal.

Too bad, Flickr. Why don't you just leave things as they were? Or give us both options?.

view photos

Bill Whāla says:

I *REALLY* dislike the new Notifications. Please put it back the way it was or let us choose between old or new.

view photos

Nethya Emor [LURE] says:

Disable all notifications of groups I don't own or moderate. I don't really care if they change their description.

view photos

Alexandra Rudge. California life! says:

Terrible, terrible, terrible and we pay for this a lot of money.

view photos

ShellyS says:

Thanks to the new notifications page, I discovered group invites from a few months ago that I hadn't seen before. I periodically compare the main notifications page, which is now my landing page, with RA and so far, they've been matching fairly well re: comments and faves. I don't bother with the bell at all. My only complaint is that I don't need to see both a notification that someone mentioned my name and that they commented. That duplication bothers me on Facebook and it's irksome here, too. Otherwise, I'm fine with the changes.

view photos

mksfca says:

How is it an improvement when clicking on "Recent Activity"one can go only to the next page at the bottom? One could do that previously by clicking on the next number, but one could also jump to the end. which is not possible now. The old system was much better, leaving the user with choice.

view photos

Babette Plana says:

Overall, I am pleased with the new notifications center and settings. When clicking on the bell, the darker shade of blue helps to distinguish the new notifications from the old. Very helpful. In account settings, Flickr members have more control over the types of notifications available. One can choose to opt in or out. A welcome change and improvement.

view photos

tim ellis says:

(All) Notifications tells me I have 4 photos faved by and two others 4 hours ago - which isn't true - faved them 4 hours ago but the two others faved them prior to that - but because they aren't named on the notifications page, that isn't immediately obvious. Going to "All Notifications" from the Bell icon needs to show the full details not just the same information on a bigger page...

Recent Activity shows me who they are and when they faved the picture (which is what I want to see) - but only tells me about two of them.

view photos

verona39 says:

Absolutely nothing works in the Notification center.
NOTHING. I cannot open anything.
Granted that I have an old Mac, but the bell worked fine before. Am I supposed to buy a new computer to stay in Flickr? No way!
verona39 edited this topic 2 months ago.

view photos

SererikaCapra3 says:

This is the worst update yet . it is not working right and slow

view photos

yukikotvcd1 says:

I'm not a fan of this new screen.

view photos

yukitrans says:

This new update screen is NOT an improvement.

view photos

ベスト says:

It looks AMAZING. Happy to see this update :)

view photos

johngpt says:

I'm discovering that every time a different person makes a comment on a photo at which I've left a comment, a new notification comes to my Taco Bell Notifications page.

So if I make a comment at a friend's photo and that photo makes it to Explore, I get dozens of notifications.

With the Recent Activity system, that friend's photo will just keep going to the top of the Recent Activity system, not generate dozens of notifications.

I'm trying to ascertain whether muting notifications of one of those notifications will suffice to kill all the others from that photo.

This new system is very poorly thought out.

The mute button really, really needs to be restored to the Recent Activity system.

view photos

yukikotvcd1 says:

The new page is awful. Bring back the previous scrolling feature!

view photos

Par 3 says:

So much that needs, or should, be fixed...and THIS is what you spend your time on???? What a total waste, It's frankly awful and NOT an improvement at all.....but regardless a tweak, I guess. Why not fix the things that REALLY need fixing, and correcting, and stop wasting time on useless endeavors like this? Poor, Poor, Poor waste of time and energy. More a irritant than a "improvement"....as IF we need more useless notifications 24/7 than the ones we already get from the morons you allow to INFEST here??

view photos

JamesWired says:

I don't really think Flickr will take much notice but I'll add my great disappointment with the Notification Centre. I've tried using it for two days now, made numerous adjustments and still don't like it for numerous reasons. I didn't feel there were any major problems with the old Recent Activity. As far as I'm concerned this change is a major step backwards.

view photos

Rodolfo Quinio says:

Flickr has this whole new development screwed up. Why?
a. On notification (desk top) - Two of my images got faved by one person
b. On Activity on my photos - also came out as same two images by same person
c. On notification (cell photo) - only one of the images got faved.

Also Activity on my photos doesn't come out in chronological order.

We have to check with different sources & equipment to make sure we didn't miss out on anything.

This is really screwed.

I'm scheduled for renewal in November & if this is still screwed up & / or giving me a hard time, I'm NOT renewing.

view photos

rockwolf says:

Likewise, I don't suppose it'll make any difference to what is being done (i.e. broken), but adding my discontent too. I use 'recent activity' all the time (though now it's become erratic with some things missing or in the wrong order). The so-called new notifications are in no way a suitable replacement. Please do not inflict these changes on us. As paying customers (some of us), please consider giving us the option. I would much rather see the return of the 'recent activity' numbered pages with the mute button for some comments, as it was!!
A very bad decision on your part to waste time 'developing' this! I sincerely hope that you have a rethink!!

view photos

BITH* says:

I keep trying this new system. It keeps failing. For example, it must be a couple of days ago that I highlighted "Comments on photos you've commented on". When I clicked on that, the message says "When you have new notifications, they'll appear here"

NO, they simply don't. The system doesn't work. I know from comparing to the old Recent Activity pages that there have been several "comments on photos I've commented on" but none appear via Notifications..

Whatever the merits or otherwise of the varying layouts, how many times do us customers have to highlight that the new system doesn't work anywhere near as well as the old system?

view photos

Christos Doudoulakis says:

I prefer the old one. Simple and neat.

The new one is a disaster. What were you thinking? Seriously... bring it back. Now I just won't pay any attention to the notifications because it is just a useless spamming.

view photos

THR Photography says:

Bring back the old options, Flickr is now very slow, clunky and unfriendly, the bell notifications option is messy and you have made the entire process a mess.
Sad Pro user, who is now considering his options!

view photos

THR Photography says:

rockwolf:

Well said

view photos

Meino NL says:

Bring the old one back or give us a choice of what to use.

view photos

Bas1953 says:

This is the worst update yet , it is not working right and slow !!

view photos

mdiepraam (50 mln views!) says:

Couldn't you have simply left the old Recent Activity alone? Why is that no longer in chronological order? It's useless now - as are the new features.

view photos

Enrique R G says:

I don´t like this update, and I´m watching that I´m not alone
Could you let me choice?

view photos

renhorS says:

how to complicate things!!

view photos

TVShirley says:

These new settings are completely unavailable on the Android App..

I use this almost exclusively for day-to-day viewing.

So when all my notifications disappared on the app ( still received the alerts on the phone, but nothing on the actual app) , I had to use the web app to find out why this had happened.

Pretty poor.

view photos

Julien Bihan says:

There are so many things to fix on this web site, which is absolutely not user-friendly, especially compared to Instagram or even Facebook (which I hate). Notifications were not one of them, the previous system was simple and good, why changing that??

I used to like Flickr, but the more I use it, the more I am leaning towards using other platforms instead...

view photos

Kernowfile says:

Okay, I've carried on using Flickr as I always have, but just using the new notifications system, and occasionally going back into "recent activity". I mostly access Flickr on a laptop pc for uploading, significant commenting, etc., but do also use a tablet pc and the mobile app for viewing updates/notifications, adding images to groups, and occasionally commenting/faving.

My normal mode of using Flickr is that my photostream is my landing page, and I then see if the bell icon is indicating any new notifications. The dropdown box is slightly larger but pretty much contains the old info except that the total number of faves on an image is missing, and group related notifications have been added.

The group "blast" notifications are just unwanted clutter but the photo acceptance, and particularly rejection, notifications are useful. It would be useful to be able kill different classes of group notifications.

Some have suggested that the rejection notifications may be detrimental to groups - I'm sorry, but I just don't get that. Rejections mean that members, like me, can refine our group posting choices:-

a) sometimes leaving a group because of poor naming, unclear rules,
inconsistent reviews, too subjective an aim(one person's creativity
is someone else's out of focus image), or

b) retaining membership, but better recognising the type of images
required

As a result of rejections noted since the new system landed, I have left some groups, joined others, and have made a mental note to less literally follow certain group titles.

Opening the full "notifications center"(NC) page is, however, no replacement for "recent activity"(RA).

Firstly, there is so much wasted white space on the page - it could
contain so much more useful information without having to resort to
scrolling.

Secondly, in case you have forgotten, Flickr is a site which is based
around users sharing images. The old RA page recognised this and
reported on image activity - all relating to a specific image was in
an individual section. NC may report the same, or more, info but it
is presented in a disorganised, random fashion.

Thirdly, navigation of the NC pages is genuinely awful. Accessing any
individual notification is ok, but going back lands you on the first page,
NOT where you were. You can't even remember a page number that
you could enter or scroll to, you have to go "first", then next, then next, ......
Sorry, but this is hopeless and makes meaningful use of the system
almost impossible - and I only receive a tiny fraction of the
notifications that some users must.

The RA page is, to me, a logical way of informing users about how an image is performing and of recent activity on it. The layout is quite efficient, and economical in the usage of screen space. Adding photo acceptance/rejection notifications into this format would have been more logical and efficient.

Other group notifications could have been added into this format as a sorted option or toggled on/off in a NC that did not display the notifications but merely controlled what notifications were displayed in RA.

I'm not going to threaten to leave Flickr if nothing is done to change the NC, but it certainly is not as useful or user friendly as the system it is intended to replace. These comments are intended as constructive criticism in the hope that your software designers look again at some aspects of both the information provided and how it is displayed. I've had some limited experience in designing systems for others to use and know that designers don't always understand how others use or interpret screens.

view photos

George Plakides says:

Used this new format a few times in the past 36 hours. Total waste of my time, nothing to be gained from thi slayout. I guess eventually I'll stop looking....

view photos

mdiepraam (50 mln views!) says:

Kernowfile:

Secondly, in case you have forgotten, Flickr is a site which is based
around users sharing images. The old RA page recognised this and
reported on image activity - all relating to a specific image was in
an individual section. NC may report the same, or more, info but it
is presented in a disorganised, random fashion.

Thirdly, navigation of the NC pages is genuinely awful. Accessing any
individual notification is ok, but going back lands you on the first page,
NOT where you were. You can't even remember a page number that
you could enter or scroll to, you have to go "first", then next, then next, ......
Sorry, but this is hopeless and makes meaningful use of the system
almost impossible - and I only receive a tiny fraction of the
notifications that some users must.

The RA page is, to me, a logical way of informing users about how an image is performing and of recent activity on it. The layout is quite efficient, and economical in the usage of screen space. Adding photo acceptance/rejection notifications into this format would have been more logical and efficient.

Exactly this!

Recent Activity is exceptionally useful to me because it's picture-centric instead of other-user-centric, i.e. it combines all info on one picture in one section, and puts the activity around those pictures in chronological order.

This way, I could go back page by page until I found the picture where I last reacted to a comment, and work my way up from there. In the new Notifications Center, there is no way I can see where I myself left off with my last comment, I can only see what others have done.

The way in which RA is now reshuffled produces numerous 'double entries' the further I go back in time, and leaves me very much unsure of the fact that I replied to all the comments that I got since I last checked in.

Trying using the NC in the same way is equally cumbersome, as I keep returning to the top of the page instead of where I was, and forces me to reload older notifications time and again.

The group rejection/acceptance addition is very good, though, as in the past I've got into arguments with admins for repeatedly adding the same picture that they kept on rejecting. There was no way for me to know that they had rejected it, and posting dozens and dozens of pictures to groups every day it's impossible to remember what you did or didn't submit. So, thanks, full marks for that!

view photos

rvtn says:

I used Notification button a lot. Now it's not really useful. I don't need to see icon of the person who posted in the Groups I visit - I need to see the icon of this Group. as a Header. Can I customize it myself?

view photos

snowinglightly says:

I truly do not like the changes.
It is not normal to 'read' all the way across a screen. The human eye works better when dealing with more 'compact' information. I don't like have to constantly scroll down to see Exif settings. I liked having them closer to the picture. Please consider returning it to the old form or at the very least give us a choice.

view photos

jo- photos says:

Bring the old one back or give us a choice of what to use.

view photos

Helena de Riquer says:

snowinglightly:

I totally agree.

view photos

Яick Harris says:

looks good to me. I like the option of selecting specific activities. And I don't mind the layout. Well done.

view photos

Jane Statham says:

Having used it yesterday and this morning I can only say it's awful.
There's so much information that comes in that it takes ages for the page to load and from my point of view, there's far too much on it. I don't want to see if a group Admin has change the rules, I'll find that out when I add a photo to that particular group.

Also, if someone makes 2 comments or more on a photo that I've looked at, I get the same photo appearing 2 or more times. Never happened before.

Why can't I mute a photo in Recent Activity any more, it was a useful tool for me and maybe others.

I've complained about other changes, but in the end liked what had been done. I won't get to like this one. Anyway we can have a choice, or get rid of this, as the previous version worked fine.

view photos

Formerly known as Bigbend700 says:

There is a photo on my RA page that I'd like to mute. The photo has many "award" icons and comments that make me have to scroll to get past this photo.

The new way to mute this photo is to visit the Notifications page and select mute. But the photo doesn't show on the Notifications page. It's not there. So I have no way to mute the photo. I'm stuck looking at it on my RA page.

Please bring back the RA mute button!

view photos

internat says:

I just checked the "new" RA page and discovered 2 photos had received comments in the last hour. This had not been reflected on the "old" RA page?

Just curious why this would have happened?

I did note that there were visible as well on the mobile application....

view photos

Rose-Marie Lescure says:

Un peu moins convivial qu'avant : dommage !
Cordialement

view photos

phil anker says:

If you insist with persisting with the new notification page and eventually removing RA please at least do us the courtesy of having the same amount of information available on the new notification as is available on RA.

At the moment I am having to jump between the two to find the information I want once the bell icon informs me of new notifications. That to me is a step backwards, not forwards.
The mute recent activity button in RA was so useful, why have you just removed that and made no other changes?.

view photos

mksfca says:

Every time there’s a change I imagine some tech person looking at the new layout and take it to be cool. But the new layout might not be any better than the old one.

At this point, the “Recent Activity” option no longer works, and as mentioned previously, did not have the option to skip from one end of the file to the final page of the file which is one of my personal management tools. The restriction makes no sense as an improvement, since if one wanted to look at the next page, one needed to only click on the next page number.

But I am writing this to mention the history of mistaken improvements.

The collection option is still visible to me and useful in organizing my albums. But it is no longer visible to non-members (and perhaps to other members). This means that I can no longer refer to my albums by the categories that allow for sensible browsing. Example: I have a collection called Paris which is in my Europe, France collection, and which includes another four different albums. My photos being mostly travel pictures, it would make sense that photos organized by regions and containing several albums be available when I discuss with outsiders travel destinations. As it stands, I either must provide a copy of each of the five Paris albums separately or just refer to my entire collection covering various parts of the world.

The old slide show option allowed for the titles to appear along with the picture. The current slide show option does not. The pictures might be nice enough, but not particularly useful when the location is not given. This also discourages labeling. How many pictures are posted just with just the generated camera code which provides no immediate information as to where and when the picture was taken.

Finally, while members do state appreciation of my photos, the bulk of the viewing is by non-members and is generated either randomly or through my posting the photographs on a travel site. In “improving” this Flickr, its multiple uses should be taken into account.

view photos

ardeth.carlson says:

I am not at all happy with the new system of notifications. With "Recent Activity" I can see all the comments on a photo rather than one at a time with the new system. I liked the button on Recent Activity in which I could mute further comments by other users on a photo I commented on; I don't want to keep seeing comments by other people. I don't want to see the admin discussions; you could keep that in the new Notifications but keep the Recent Activity where the only thing I see is the recent comments on my photos and my comments on other photos. I don't need to see anything else, and all the things you have dumped into Notifications makes it unwieldy, unhelpful, and aggravating.

view photos

stu ART photo says:

I don't like the new system of notifications, particularly in the app. Previously a notification on any of my photos would tell me how many faves in the notification. Now I have to tap on the notification to see photo details.

view photos

mondgebraeunt says:

I am since two days in contact with a flickr team member, to solve some problems. Among many others, the problem, that I can’t see any of my notifications. The app doesn’t work, the Desktop Site makes problems. They suggested me some links to customize new settings, but even these links don’t open, „bad bad Panda“. I would really like to say something to the newest changes, but… ;)
For the moment it would make me already happy, when i could use my site in the way it should work. All the more, because I regularly pay for the flickr service. And it feels like, instead of first solving a problem, they create hundreds more.

Oh, also the links here doesn’t want to open „bad panda“ or „too many redirects“.

EDIT: Now finally the things seem to work in a normal way again. At least finally i could customize the settings and the new notifications settings are visible to me too. As far as I can see it, now that finally my page works again halfway, the new settings are not bad at all. Nothing to complain about. And if someone has a problem with unsubscribing group notifications because it takes too long time.. well, the solution would be, not to join billions of groups just to share photos without ever being a part of the group. Focus on the things you like to follow with interest.
So, beside the many problems which i had recently, the new notifications setting is not the reason to complain, it‘s well ordered and i like it.
mondgebraeunt edited this topic 2 months ago.

view photos

Fay Model says:

I like the new layout so much easier to see who is saying what on your photos etc! I also like that when a photo is rejected from a particular group you have the notification for that also!
Another feature I would like seen added is when someone stops following you! As many Flickr users will add as to follow someone then soon as the person responds they withdraw their following of that person they had just added just to swell their numbers of followers! ( hope that makes sense?)
i.e I have 6.6K followers but only 3.8K that I am following! but I would follow more but it takes me all day to look at all the photos of the guys I follow!
It was just and idea?

view photos

Alex-de-Haas says:

Sick of toggling every group notification setting off one by one using your mouse?

If you want to toggle off all selected group notification toggles AT ONCE:

1. go to notifcation settings: www.flickr.com/account/email
2. click "manage" next to groups
3. right click in the popup with notification toggles that appears and select "Inspect"
4. click on the console tab
5. copy paste below script into the console and hit enter
6. wait patiently
7. done

If you don't understand the inspect or console step, please see this link for some extra info + screenshots: medium.com/swlh/how-to-automate-clicks-using-javascript-4...
(not my site, not my work)

Script code:
(sorry for the formatting, the forum destroys the indentation)

var lbl, cb, cbs = document.querySelectorAll('.group-notification > .view > .toggle-component');
console.log('cbs.length: '+cbs.length);
for(var i=0; i<cbs.length; i++)
{
cb = cbs[i].querySelector('input.checkbox');
if(cb && cb.checked)
{
lbl = cbs[i].querySelector('label');
if(lbl)
{
lbl.click();
}
}
}

view photos

Nadia (no awards please !) says:

Hi everyone.

Since 2007, I saw a lot of updates on Flickr. Ok, I managed to understand and follow, never leave, always there, year after year, update after update.... a lot of friends of mine left Flickr... I stayed.

But... but.... the last changes are not so awful, just for a particular thing I used every day and I loved the possibility to use it : the "no-entry sign" icon ("sens interdit" in french) which gave us the possibility to avoid or desactivate a photo (for me : too much awards in the comments make me feeling bad, I hate these awards I don't want them on my gallery, so I desactivate the photos which are filled with).

I don't understand such a modification !

Just a prayer please : PUT AGAIN THIS ICON !

view photos

ALOFBRID says:

Please give us a choice. This is far too time consuming to do searches. If this continues I am out of here.

view photos

Bill Amidon says:

I agree with the majority of the negative comments I'm seeing here. I assume the "developers" at Flickr, who apparently need something to do, will do what they're going to do regardless of feedback. They'll just keep telling us they're working on it and we're going to like it. It appears most people are in the habit of using the Recent Activity page as their main Flickr interface, and with good reason - it's the ideal way to interact with others on Flickr. For me personally, the Notifications bell is a waste of space and time. I've never used it and never will. If you want to play with Notifications by all means have at it, but why ruin the Recent Activity page in the process? If not for the fact that I have interactive relationships on Flickr which I value, I would cancel my account. I'm sure I'm not alone when I say this makes me feel at once angry and powerless.
Bill Amidon edited this topic 2 months ago.

view photos

my.travels says:

I started to think that we are speaking against the wall and there is no way to bring back RA page. The only way seems to be no subscription renewal.

This thread has been closed by Flickr Staff.

(601 to 700 of 1320 replies in New Flickr Notifications Center and Settings available to all members.)
Subscribe to a feed of stuff on this page... Feed – Subscribe to help discussion threads