Help / The Help Forum

This thread has been closed by Flickr Staff.

Hot Topics

[Official Thread] Have an idea for Flickr? Share it here.
Latest: 7 hours ago
New Flickr Notifications Center and Settings available to all members.
Latest: 4 weeks ago
[Updated April 26, 2021] Flickr is moving payments to Stripe
Latest: 11 months ago
Welcome to the Flickr Help Forum! Click here to get started and to read our Forum Guidelines.
Latest: 16 months ago

Current Discussion

Extremely low views and faves
Latest: 2 hours ago
The Panda is back.
Latest: 3 hours ago
why my safe photos are beeing restriced by the bot?
Latest: 3 hours ago
No email notifications on a new photo
Latest: 4 hours ago
Video Playback Issue
Latest: 5 hours ago
cannot cancel Pro
Latest: 8 hours ago
[Investigating] No pictures photostrip or else!
Latest: 8 hours ago
Releasing an alias/URL if the original member seems to no longer be active?
Latest: 9 hours ago
Notifications: how to read multiple comments?
Latest: 11 hours ago
Sharing Album
Latest: 12 hours ago
iPhone video quality question
Latest: 17 hours ago
What's with searching your own photo's?
Latest: 18 hours ago
More...

Search the Help Forum

New Flickr Notifications Center and Settings available to all members.

Flickr Staff

Leticia Roncero says:

Updates:

9/16/21: Summary of latest reply. If you have further questions or feedback about using the Notifications Center, please write to our Support team. The Recent Activity page will be sunset on December 15, 2021. Our latest reply also lists upcoming improvements that we'll be implementing based on your feedback and additional community feedback that we're taking into consideration.

9/08/21: Acknowledged feedback regarding seeing the total number of faves that a photo has and seeing all of your photos that someone has recently faved (currently notifications is only surfacing 12)

8/17/21: Acknowledged 2 known issues (slow loading and not seeing recent faves)

=======

Today, after months of development, feedback rounds with our members, and hard work, we are continuing our rollout from 25% to 100% of the new Flickr Notifications Center and Notifications Settings pages.

What does this mean?

We’ve expanded the current notifications from the bell icon at the top of Flickr and introduced a new tab for groups you admin. We’ve also introduced a Notifications Center page so you can see your notifications with more screen real estate.

What’s new?

The Notifications Center
The Notifications Center is a rebuilt version of the Recent Activity page designed to surface all of the latest activity related to your Flickr experience. To access the Notifications Center, click on the bell icon in the navigation bar at the top of Flickr, and at the bottom of the dropdown, you’ll see the link that used to read “View Recent Activity” now reads “View all notifications.” When you click that, you’ll be taken to the new Notifications Center, where you’ll be able to access all your notifications, filter your notifications by type (ie.: faves, group invitations, comments on your photos, etc.), and check the latest activity on your photos, groups, and conversations.

Notifications Settings Page
The Notifications Settings page allows you to turn on or mute notifications by type. This page gives you control over your in-site notifications as well as email notifications to decide what you’re notified about, how you’re notified, and even how often. To access the Notifications Settings page, click on the bell icon in the navigation bar at the top of Flickr and you’ll notice a new gear icon that will take you to the Notifications Settings page.

Group Notifications
For groups, we’ve added new notification types to let you know when admins update the group admin blast, as well as group description and rules. Additionally, group admins will now see notifications for the groups they admin as a separate tab so they can easily sort out the priority updates for their groups from personal notifications and from groups they don’t admin. If you’re not interested in receiving group notifications, you can turn them off on your Notifications Settings page. Please note that there’s no option to turn off notifications for all groups at once, so please be intentional about which groups you mute.

New ‘Options’ in your Groups page
As we are rolling out the new Notifications, you’ll also see updates to your Groups list page, where all of your groups are displayed. We’ve changed the name of “Faved Groups” to “Pinned Groups” to avoid conflating with the action of faveing photos/videos. Pinning a group will keep that group at the top of your list, and will ensure you get notified of any new group discussions posted to that group. There’s also a new column called Options, which lets you manage group notifications, show or hide groups from your activity feed, and more. If you desire, you can use the Options column on the Groups list page to mute/unmute each of your groups. To pin a group on your Groups list page, select the Options column three-dot menu next to the desired group and choose “Pin to top of page.” If you want a group pinned to the top of the page, but you don’t want group notifications, you can mute the group from the same menu, or from your Notifications Settings page.

Comment modal in Notifications (how to see all comments made for one of your photos)
When you click on a comment notification from the Notifications Center page, you will get a modal that lets you scroll through all the comments on the photo without leaving the Notifications dropdown or Notifications Center. You can also reply to the comments from that modal. For people who like to go through all their comment threads without context switching, this should be a useful workflow for you now.

You can see a video demo of this in action here.

Archiving (changes to how some notifications are presented)
With these changes, you’ll now see notifications for recent activity on your photos, discussions, and groups, rather than seeing every previous interaction associated with that photo/video/group, etc. Let's take an example:

In the old format, let's say I had uploaded a photo five years ago, and it had 45 faves already. If a couple of folks named Pat and John came along and faved it today, the notification would read, "Pat and John and 45 other people faved your photo." We were showing the count of the entire history of faves on the photo in the notification, even though some of the faves might have been five years old.

In the new format with this hypothetical example, you'll get a notification that says, "Pat and John faved your photo." We're surfacing what has happened recently and seems most relevant.

Likewise, we've changed some of the models for how notifications are presented, with the intent to cut down on the noise when, for example, one person faves a bunch of your photos. In the past, if Pat faved ten of your photos, you would have received ten separate notifications. With the new model, we'll now simply show you a batch notification that says "Pat faved ten photos'' with thumbnails for those ten photos. Here is a visual example.

Changes to the Recent Activity page
If you regularly use Recent Activity, you're going to notice a change to the navigation at the bottom of that page. Because we are archiving old notifications as described above, we're not able to maintain pagination at the bottom of Recent Activity. So where you previously could see page 1, 2, 3, etc., until the last page, you will now use a "next →" button to navigate. We’ve added a "start" button as well so that you don't have to use the back arrow on your browser.
If you notice that items you previously muted are showing up for you with new reactions in Recent Activity, this is due to the way the archiving data is stored. If you want to mute comments on a particular photo/video, for example, you’ll need to do that in the new Notifications to have it work on Recent Activity.

If you still regularly use Recent Activity and haven't explored the new Notifications, now is a good time to try the new system. We have spent the past few months monitoring the performance of this new experience and working to incorporate feedback to make sure that everything that you can view in Recent Activity is available in the Notifications Center or elsewhere on Flickr. We are keeping Recent Activity while everyone gets used to the new notifications center, but our plan is to eventually remove this page and focus on making notifications the go-to experience for keeping up with your activity on Flickr. We'll continue fine-tuning notifications, so if you notice anything that doesn't appear to be working as it should or you're unable to accomplish a specific workflow in notifications that you could in recent activity, please let us know here. We've also included an FAQ in our Help Center.

Answers to some FAQs about the new Notifications Center:

“The new system is missing some notifications. For example, I can’t find [X] notification type.”
We built the new Notifications Center with feature parity in mind, which means you should be able to see all the same types of notifications (and other new ones) that you used to see on the Recent Activity page. If you have lots of new activity that you need to manage, the Notifications Center page lets you filter your notifications by type. For example, show only notifications for comments, or only for group invitations, etc. You can select different filters depending on what you want to see. Click on the “All Notifications” dropdown at the top of the notifications list to apply filters.

“On the Recent Activity page, I was able to see individual replies and comments without having to open the actual photo page.”
You can do this from the new Notifications Center as well! When you click on a comment link from the Notifications Center page, you will get a modal that lets you scroll through ALL the comments for that image. You can also reply to the comments from that modal, without leaving the Notifications Center page.

“I want to see the list of people who faved my photo(s) without having to navigate to the actual photo page.”
Similarly to how we brought the comment modal into the new notifications after feedback that folks wanted to be able to see all the comments on a photo without having to go to the photo page, we are looking at how we can bring the fave modal that is currently on the photo page (e.g. “[person 1], [person 2] and [n more people] faved your photo”) into the Notifications Center and under the bell icon. We’ve wanted to update that modal component to have more functionality, so this is a perfect time to do so. We’ll work on that after we get 100% of the community into the new system.
Posted at 11:40AM, 26 August 2021 PDT ( permalink )
cabb88 (staff) edited this topic 4 weeks ago.

(701 to 800 of 1320 replies in New Flickr Notifications Center and Settings available to all members.)
view photos

Lynx iuga (clientlist closed) says:

Leticia Roncero:

I realy don' like the fact people can see and are notified there picture has been rejected from the group.
Posted 6 weeks ago. ( permalink )

view photos

Flickr Staff

kp-kp-kp says:

BITH*:

I keep trying this new system. It keeps failing. For example, it must be a couple of days ago that I highlighted "Comments on photos you've commented on". When I clicked on that, the message says "When you have new notifications, they'll appear here"

NO, they simply don't.

You're not seeing these because as a default these are turned off in your global settings: www.flickr.com/account/email

These used to be on by default, but we switched them to off by default after hearing from members that this was too noisy.

I can see how this can be confusing, so will see what we can do to point folks towards their global settings if they are filtering for a notification type they have not enabled.

view photos

erwan 2949 says:

c'est un cauchemar, it's a nightmare !

view photos

johngpt says:

In Recent Activity I saw that I had received Flickr Mail messages.
I went to those messages and replied.

Recent Activity no longer has the mute button to get rid of those notifications.

Finding those mail messages in the new Notifications, I'm also unable to mute them there.

Please, please, please restore the mute button to Recent Activity and please don't get rid of Recent Activity.

This Notification roll out does not come close to meeting my needs in assessing activity and controlling activity.

view photos

jack .b. says:

It’s ridiculous. Been a Pro member since 2013. Another example of Flickr making changes that are not to the benefit of the user
jack .b. edited this topic 6 weeks ago.

view photos

German Vogel says:

Please revert back, the new notifications have destroyed the functionality I was getting from Flickr. I used to be able to get an update about how many people liked a specific photograph but now this information is lost and I just see all photographs liked by a single profile. Why would I possibly care about this? I did care about which of my photographs passed certain thresholds of favorites and interaction. Now I'm seriously considering not renewing my pro membership. I agree with a large segment of people here : if it wasn't broken, why fix it. Besides, the only broken thing was the limit on up to 49 favorites and comments. Instead of fixing or improving that, we are now given no information whatsoever. Pretty ridiculous.

view photos

Flickr Staff

Leticia Roncero says:

Viejito:

When in notifications we click on the title of a discussion thread that someone just replied to, it would be nice if we were then taken to the last page of the thread, not to the first.

Hi, this should be the case already if you click on the title of a discussion that looks like: "[person] and [person] replied to [discussion title]." Clicking on the title should take you directly to the last reply. If that's not the case for you, would you mind sharing an example? Thanks!

view photos

Flickr Staff

Leticia Roncero says:

Avalia Ferrentino:

I'm really interested in which groups accept and reject my photo's, but the updates in group descriptions, admin blasts etc... not so much.. In

You can always mute admin blast updates for a specific group. To do that, click on the three-dot menu next to the notification for a new admin blast update and choose “Mute this notification.” Please note that this will only apply to future blast updates for that specific group, not all groups.

view photos

New Pat says:

Si le interesa mi opinión, no quiero recibir notificaciones de grupos. Lo que sí me gustaría y considero importante es que cuando 2 o más personas votan tu foto, te llegue la notificación de estas 2 o más personas, no solo de la última persona que te ha votado, porque así puedes agradecer mucho mejor a todos los votos, comentarios... que recibes.

view photos

A.M.G.1 says:

I prefer the old way! Simpler, user friendly and you got to see all activity in one go!
Suggestion: Can't we choose between the old and the new as a default?

view photos

~Muriel~NO Favs without a comment/Award. says:

A.M.G.1:

I totally agree!!!!

view photos

JS_Photos says:

On my iPhone using the FLICKR app, the "notifications" list updates whenever there is a new one. This is counter-productive in cases where the interval between new notifications is too short to actually scroll down beyond the first screenful or so, because any update rewrites the list from the top. It would be better to just disable automatic updates while the list is displayed and offer a button "update" instead.

view photos

JS_Photos says:

Again in the iPhone app, group invite notifications sometimes overlap, in effect making it impossible to either accept or reject the invitation. Trying to click on either button brings up the group page of the next invite just below.

view photos

Flickr Staff

Leticia Roncero says:

matt duke - thanks for 100M+ views!:

For example, today I have a notification that someone faved 100 of my photos.12 of the photos are pictured in Notifications - no clues about the other 88. This provides no useful information for me at all. It is hard to imagine how total fave counts can work within this format..

Hey Matt, this is something we have in our fast follow list of feature enhancements we plan to add to the new system: a view-all overlay for batches with more than 12 images so members can see everything in the batch. We are also looking at ways to incorporate cumulative counts for faves and comments.

view photos

Bill Amidon says:

P.S. I only just now realized the plan is to eliminate the Recent Activity page, forcing us to use Notifications instead. I'm sure you have no idea what a slap in the face this is for the majority of people who use Flickr. As I've reviewed the feedback I'm struck by the number of comments expressing frustration, sadness, and helplessness. I share those feelings. Flickr used to be a site for photographers. It's clear that at this point it isn't being "developed" by or for photographers. If we wanted to be treated like children we'd be using Facebook. It's difficult to fathom how these changes benefit anyone, from a purely business perspective or from the standpoint of utility and functionality. How does it make sense to ignore the feedback from the people without whom Flickr wouldn't exist? If you think I'm angry you are correct. If you succeed in ruining the Flickr experience for so many it will be a sad day.

view photos

Runar F says:

I prefer the old version over the "beta version". I want to see what I have previously posted in a group under "top contributors" provided by the old version. Also like to see the information under "Recent Activity" just as it is.

view photos

JS_Photos says:

With all the older "invites" suddenly popping up, I just noticed that when I click "accept" (the invite), apparently, the photo is run by the group administrator again to be accepted/denied. Why? The photo got invited by an admin of the group just to get denied after I click "accept"? Funny, if not annoying.

view photos

verona39 says:

Bill Amidon:

Well said.
ADMINISTRATION - PLEASE READ HIS COMMENT!

view photos

Latium says:

Change for the sake of change, and no regard for the PAYING customer!
If it ain't broke don't fix it!

view photos

Retronaut says:

(I've discovered that by enabling the notifications I want, this restored the activity I am accustomed to seeing when I tap the bell icon in the app)
Retronaut edited this topic 6 weeks ago.

view photos

r2-d2-96 says:

I know this is off-topic, but I would like to see some improvements to the Tags use in the future. When I click on one of my tags, I want to see MY photos with this tag, not photos of some dudes who spam the tags with their creepy videogame screenshots, or whatever. :( I just had to scroll through my albums to find the old photo I need instead of two clicks on my tags, again. Please, consider fixing the Tags to make it show the tagged photos of the user somewhere.

New notifications are fine for me, I just switched off almost all the groups, and now the feed seems neat. :)

view photos

ANDE PHOTO says:

Change for the sake of change

view photos

ANDE PHOTO says:

notifications have stoped working

view photos

ANDE PHOTO says:

notifications on Facebook work well

view photos

Retronaut says:

Why the emphasis on groups in notifications? Sure, I'd like to know if a photo is invited to a group, but my notifications are polluted with unwanted "admin blasts" from groups, and I've accumulated a lot of groups over the years. How can I turn all of these extraneous notifications off to make the notifications more meaningful?

Settings for groups need to be more granular, because I want to be updated about the status of pending photos, but I couldn't care less about about "new discussions, admin blasts, and changes to rules and descriptions."

Also, why on Earth did you turn off notifications for things like faves, photo comments and Flickr Mail??
Retronaut edited this topic 6 weeks ago.

view photos

*CA* says:

The original Recent Activity was spare, simple, and easy to grasp. The new one adds color and stuff I don’t care about and gets in the way of the basic information I want, that is, what has happened to my photos in terms of comments and faves, as well as to photos I have left comments on.
As they say, KISS

view photos

johngpt says:

Something I'm noticing as I go back and forth between my Recent Activity and this Notifications.

Recent Activity is photo-centric.

Notifications are notification-centric.

As a photographer, I'm much more interested in having the photo as what is important and seeing the faves and comments along side it.

I'm not at all interested in seeing that so and so mentioned me in a comment and then another notification that the same so and so said such and such in the comment.

I already got both of those simultaneously when the photo showed in my Recent Activity.

This new Notifications seems to have been designed by someone from the Department of Redundancy Department.

view photos

sdttds says:

johngpt:

Well said

view photos

johngpt says:

Recent Activity shows the photo thumbnail with the photographer's Flickr ID below it and the photo's title to the right of it.

Notifications only shows a photo thumbnail.

Sometimes I like clicking on the photographer's Flickr ID to see their photostream page. Recent Activity made that easy.

With Notifications, I now have to click on thumbnail and then once the photo page opens, click on the photographer's name to get to the photostream page.

view photos

johngpt says:

Speaking of extra steps, now with Notifications in order to mute further notifications I have to click on the three dots and then click on mute this notification.

Before deleting the mute button from Recent Activity, that could be accomplished with one click.

This new Notifications is a marked step backward in ease of use.

view photos

paulie~ says:

It worked well before being "picture centric" for faves and comments. I want it that way. Now you have broken it . At least give us the option of keeping the original RA as well. Why wouldn't you?

view photos

JDS Fine Art Photography says:

The new Notifications will have no utility for me. It is just a stream of time-stamped data. I will greatly miss the "Activity" section, because that is how I can see if I may have enough awards for the next level, & to see how my photos are doing. This is a big enough inconvenience to make me consider moving to a different platform where the notifications are MEANINGFUL!

IF THE FLICKR TEAM REALLY WANTS TO IMPROVE THE USER EXPERIENCE, FOCUS ON TECHNICAL PERFORMANCE! IT IS EXTREMELY FRUSTRATING TO CONSTANTLY HAVE TO REFRESH IN ORDER FOR COMMENTS TO "TAKE", ALONG WITH VERY SLOW & "STICKY" NAVIGATION. It seems the technical capacity on Flickr is not keeping up with the volume. My internet speed is 500 MB, & my computer is high quality, so the issue is not with my setup.

view photos

N.Clark says:

I am extremely unhappy with the new Notifications that have been foisted upon us. Too much information and most of it is not useful whatsoever.

My suggestion is that you immediately provide us with a choice! I want to choose the Original Notifications, not this version.
N.Clark edited this topic 6 weeks ago.

view photos

Carla@ says:

N.Clark:

Well said.

view photos

MurderWithMirrors says:

Ever since you released this "upgrade" activity on my account has pretty much stopped. What did you do? I find it hard to believe that you making this change & my sudden loss of activity aren't related somehow.

view photos

yukitrans says:

The new screen is not as good as the previous version. Go back to the previous edition!

view photos

stephencurtin says:

Group invitations not showing in activity thread.

view photos

Dober Man says:

this new notification thing is wrecking havoc with the Flickr mobile apps. Ninety five percent of my interaction with with the mobile apps.

view photos

Macs Pics says:

I think its great !

view photos

Toya Drexxar-Bailey says:

I would love to see only the responses I get on my pictures. not the topics who says thank you for choosing my picture from others.

My notification inbox is only for me. So this is a no go for me and costing me way to much time to find if there are responses to my own postings.

view photos

lenstewartMX says:

Actually, I kind of like the new Notifications function. I realize there are a lot of contrary opinions, but the new system gives me pretty much the info I want, organized in a way that's easy for me to use. And, I DO like knowing when my photo has been rejected. Makes me think.

view photos

BaristaCats - resident psychic says:

I quite like it! Good job! :)
The fact that I can now see whether my photo has been rejected by a group really helps to remember which photos I have already posted. It helps not to post the same photo several times in the same group which is also good for the admins :)
I guess some of the people who are complaining about this are used to mass-post their photos in a hundred groups without concern whether the photo belongs their or not. Now they are getting a lot of rejection notifications. This may really help to keep groups clean and help manage the groups. So big thanks to that :))

view photos

corinna1411 says:

Rubbish! Slow! Time eating! Inconvenient! MÜLL!!! Never change a running system or at least give us the possibility to choose between the new style and the former recent activities feature. Currently I am very unhappy!

view photos

Nadia (no awards please !) says:

JDS Fine Art Photography:

Absolutely ok with you about the technical performance to improve, instead of moving on a new page we all refuse.

view photos

mdiepraam (50 mln views!) says:

johngpt:

Something I'm noticing as I go back and forth between my Recent Activity and this Notifications.

Recent Activity is photo-centric.

Notifications are notification-centric.

As a photographer, I'm much more interested in having the photo as what is important and seeing the faves and comments along side it.

Precisely the point I made yesterday, and in almost the same words! That's exactly why RA is so much better (and well thought out) and why notifications can only be a pleasant quickfire extra to what RA already offers, not a replacement.

view photos

gexlyon69 says:

Bonjour,
Je n'aime pas du tout cette nouvelle version;....
Je voudrais juste voir les notifications sur mes photos et pouvoir avoir la page en français !

It's very bad !
je refuse cette nouvelles notification !

view photos

ღ Vivena ღ says:

I Admin 5 groups, 2 of which I co-admin and I have noticed I am not getting notifications from those 2 in the new "Groups you Admin" tab.
Is this because in those 2 groups the other Admin has done the Admin blast? or where are the group's notifications taking their info from about who the Admin is?
In other words, why are both Admins not getting the notifications about submissions?
I am also a mod of 3 other groups and I don't see a single notification about submissions in this new tab.

This is messy and very frustrating ... if this new system is going to work I need to be able to see all submission notifications from all the groups I either admin or moderate, useless otherwise :-(

view photos

markal says:

The overall implementation and appearance seems fine to me with one huge exception: I have no interest in having any groups notifications at all, but since that is now a "feature" my reaction is that having to adjust settings for each group individually is ridiculous and a total time waste. It should be possible to turn off notifications for all groups with a single button.

view photos

beauti.muzek says:

not good - disturbing - 'XY and x persons faved your photo', but it is not the correct number of total favs - 'XY commented a photo that you commented five years before' - no, not necessary!
Sorry.

view photos

amazingstoker says:

The Notifications splits the comments apart on a particular photo so that one photo has multiple entries in the list, if you're trying to read all the commentary it's all over the place and you have to scour up and down the list.

Group all the comments, or at least, say, the most recent 10 under a single list entry. It will make for much easier reading of comments.

view photos

amazingstoker says:

Notifications needs a method to mute particular notification 'types', e.g. group admin announces, that you may not want to see.

view photos

my.travels says:

mdiepraam (50 mln views!):

I agree with both of you. In original Flickr, the objective was photos. Now, they are changing the objective to notifications.

view photos

my.travels says:

johngpt:

I totally agree with you.

view photos

subhash.at says:

Since the changes I cannot see anything in Notifications except the headline and the footer!

view photos

ℒεoηorα says:

Everything has stopped working in "The new notifications" (last one there from 6 hours ago) ;-)
Edit :
** new ones just appeared now ; just a few hours late ...** ;-)
ℒεoηorα edited this topic 6 weeks ago.

view photos

ANDE PHOTO says:

Extremely unhappy with the new Notifications . Too much information and most of it is not useful whatsoever.

NOTIFICATIONS on my photos NOT WORKING

Notifications needs a method to mute particular notification 'types', e.g. group admin announces, that you may not want to see

PLEASE JUST TURN THESE NEW NOTIFICATIONS OFF

view photos

Retronaut says:

amazingstoker:

Absolutely!

view photos

joeke pieters says:

amazingstoker:

That was all possible in Recent Activity, I don't understand why it had to be changed... it is so chaotic now!

view photos

RA/Activity on my photos is now completely useless, with its unchronological order and multiple entries of the same photo over and over again. I need to do 'next, next, next' dozens of times to reach the same effect as going back a couple of pages in RA when it was still in fine working order.

I'm sorry but the hate is huge right now. You may as well kill off RA right away instead of having us suffer in this way.

I'll grudgingly try to use the new NC, even though that costs me double the amount of time every day - more reason for hate - aware as I am that with 4500 photos on Flickr you have me completely locked in as a customer.

But a hugely unsatisfied and downright ANGRY customer right now.

view photos

Zog the Frog says:

I'm not really interested in what admins are saying in the groups. Yes, I could go through all my groups and deselect all the options, but wouldn't it be better if there was a single DON'T SHOW ME THIS option to cover all groups?

The amount of screen space these pointless notifications takes up really reduces the amount for photos which used to be the point of Flickr. Now I wonder if that counts any more.

view photos

ANDE PHOTO says:

OK ..... HAVING CALMED DOWN and made adjustments ;;;;;
the new Notifications are GOOD ... VERY COOD .... WELL DONE Flickr

view photos

Hubby Mick says:

1) Receiving notifications from all of my many groups clutters the notification area. It should default to "OFF" for all groups then let me choose which groups I want notifications from instead of the other way around.

2) I would like a switch for seeing photo invitations. I'd like to be able to see a list of all of of my photos with pending invitations to various groups.

view photos

rockwolf says:

stu.bloggs..Dont do Sundays:

Exactly that!

view photos

amazingstoker says:

Having looked at the new page for a while I find the bold font too loud, what's wrong with a normal weight font?

view photos

Hot Pink Flamingo! says:

I confess I did not read the vast majority of your post explaining the new notification system. All I have to say is that I am so confused with this new system. It wasn't perfect before. There were a lot of times when I would comment on a photo on someone else's account, and it would never show up as a replies to my comments. Yet most of the time when I commented on someone else's photo, it would show up immediately on replies to my comments. But now, when I click on the replies to my comments button, I see some of my own photos in there (and as an aside, I still am not finding comments I made on other photos). This didn't used to happen before and I don't like this at all. I liked the old system better, but it still had some glitches in it. I like the fact that Flickr is trying to improve things, but this is not been an improvement for me.
Hot Pink Flamingo! edited this topic 6 weeks ago.

view photos

Hot Pink Flamingo! says:

By the way, I know you're probably not going to believe this, but I was seriously considering paying to be a pro account. But definitely not now with these new changes that don't make sense to me. There was room for improvement, but I don't see improvements. Come to think of it, my issue wasn't with the notification system before the new one was implemented. The area of improvement that I wanted to see was twofold. Number one, I wanted replies to my comments to truly be people replying specifically to me and not just everyone's comments after me. #2) I was hoping to have the opportunity to see every single (not just some) recent comment I made in one list even if no one replied to me.

So you see, the notification section was okay with me. It was those other things I mentioned that I didn't like. And I confess it made my experience on flicker not as pleasant and that's one of the reasons why I was dragging my feet to be a pro account.

view photos

Mark.Swanson says:

Looks fine to me. It'll take getting used to like any change, but I actually like the new information. I'm guessing you'll tweak it to respond to people's concerns.

view photos

dan@propeakphotography.com (Off for a bit) says:

I am not seeing most recent comments on my images in notifications. Sometimes I see a notification corresponding to the first comment on one of my images since the last time I clicked on the notifications drop down, other times, I simply don't see any of the notifications for comments on my images. This has taken a situation where, unless I checked notifications every 8 hours or so, it was hard to go back and find notifications I have missed (because, new notifications are only highlighted until you scroll down), and worsened it by making notifications random at best. Not sure what Flickr's intent is with this update, but I don't think this system update is working properly.

view photos

Bogger4. says:

I agree Stu, ;-((((( ????

view photos

Fred Duquenne says:

It's fine!
Just takes getting used to; you can still choose what type of notifications.

view photos

jenniferbeinhacker.com says:

the same notifications on the same photo ( ie when someone comments or faves, etc) apear for me at least 3 times over several days even after i've looked at it the first time.
this is getting silly.

view photos

Myra Wildmist says:

More info, or at least the option for it, is always nice. So I mostly like it, but...

Big con: Rejected.

Ugh.

Rejected photos opens up an enormous can of carnivorous worms. This info should be removed for two big reasons.

One: Mostly people want that little dopamine rush from getting faves. Getting rejected ruins that buzz, and turns Flickr into a bit of a sad experience. (I'm exaggerating a little, but you get the idea.)

Two: Showing rejections creates a horror show of work for group admins. I guarantee admins and moderators will get a firestorm of people whining and wanting to know why their photo was rejected.

So two main suggestions:
Make the feed more customizable: Overall, I like the new info. It would be nice to tailor the feed to show what I want to see, though.

Remove rejections: Seeing the rejected info will make the Flickr experience less enjoyable. Remove that. Don't even make it an option to see it. It makes people feel sad, kills their dopamine high, and creates a nightmare for group admins.

view photos

ernstkers says:

Myra Wildmist:

Showing rejections creates a horror show of work for group admins. I guarantee admins and moderators will get a firestorm of people whining and wanting to know why their photo was rejected.

As admin of several groups I rejected dozens of photos since this feature exists. Never got the kind of reaction that you guarantee. Or any reaction at all. I guess most people just raise their shoulders if it happens.

Oh, and I also got a number of my own photos rejected by other admins. I don't care, to me it's just a sign the admin is really dedicated to their group.

view photos

patia says:

Please make it possible to turn off all group notifications for "Groups you are a member of" at once, instead of one at a time. (That would take a long time.)

view photos

imagefx says:

This new notifications change is really not acceptable........I can not see any notifications at all now.......change just for the sake of change usually is not too popular.....I too would like to be able to use the previous notification set up, it was easy and always worked, with this new set up, now I see no notifications no matter what I select. I have used Flickr since 2007 and this just is not working for me, why fix something that is not broken. Was this tested with any member focus groups before going live to all? Please allow users to choose the previous notification method if they prefer to use it instead.
Perhaps after all of these years I too should look elsewhere when it is time to renew my pro account.
I have noticed in reading comments that quite a large percentage of them are negative and from pro users, this would suggest user focus groups containing some pro users should be considered in the future before going live with changes like this.
Thank you for your attention to this matter.
imagefx edited this topic 6 weeks ago.

view photos

vauxnut says:

If I have more than a few images being favourited, I can't see the full list. Is there a way to get around this?

view photos

johngpt says:

I'm trying to mute notification in Notifications.
Why do some seem to not be taking effect?

When I click on the three dots and choose Mute Notifications, usually the thumbnail greys out.

But on some, the thumbnail doesn't change.

This whole change to Notifications is asinine.

Just put the mute notification button back in Recent Activity and keep Recent Activity.
It accomplished all that so many of us Pro users wanted.

view photos

johngpt says:

When I received a Flickr Mail message, I'd see that notification in Recent Activity. There would be the usual mute button.

That mute button has been removed from Recent Activity.

Notifications also tells me that I received a Flickr Mail message.
However, in those three dots there isn't a choice for muting the notification.

So that notification will stay forever in Notifications?

view photos

BITH* says:

I'm afraid this is another real example of why the new Notifications system is far worse than the old Recent Activity system.

After I made a comment on a contact's photo, that person replied and it shows on Notifications as being 11 hours ago. Since then, there have been a further five exchanges of comments between us on that photo and NONE of those show up in notifications at all. That makes it much more difficult under the new system to hold a comments dialogue on a photo which is surely one of the whole points of a photo site.

I ask yet again. Please reinstate the old Recent Activity system which worked just fine and without a shadow of a doubt far, far better than the new system..

view photos

rcc 4526 says:

It freezes up.

view photos

Clement Tang * says:

BITH*:

They said RA is 15 years old and should be scrapped! How sad!

RA was effective and evolved through the years and had stood the test of time - before the BELL crippled it.

view photos

Patrick (1945) says:

Our Garden - 25-06-2021 (20) by Patrick (1945)

Perhaps one day peace will reign and those who matter will listen to the plaintive cry of the majority. However I doubt it.
We live in a world now changing so rapidly, our freedoms gradually eroded, what with covid, climate change and the explosion of military actions, the last thing we want is something to make our lives more miserable and frustrating.
It's not hard to admit that Flickr is wrong here and it's not too difficult to reverse those actions.
So let's have the system back that I paid for back last year, not this hybrid.

view photos

Flickr Staff

Leticia Roncero says:

verona39:

Clement Tang *:

Bill Amidon:

BELZ'S WORLD:

erwan 2949:

my.travels:

OctavioBJ:

Allan Jones Photographer:

amazingstoker:

Natalie Peppermint:

timclarkcov:

themadbirdlady:

Hey everyone,

We've removed a few comments from this thread that weren't in line with our forum guidelines.

We do want to hear your thoughts, but we ask that members keep their feedback constructive so that we can better understand your needs and continue fine-tuning the new experience.

Best,
Leticia.

view photos

heights.18145 says:

Leticia Roncero:

This is horrible. You can no longer mute or delete an inappropriate comment that someone posts on your pic.

Please listen to the Flickr users, I am not seeing comments that folks are happy with these changes. At least give us an option as to how we view notifications.

view photos

Robin Shepperson Photography says:

Leticia Roncero:

Hi Leticia

To be honest I do like the new setup, my only problem with it is the fact you can see if your photo has been rejected, I personally feel that is not a good idea, it can start friction between admins and their group members, I am an admin myself and the last thing I need is war of words with an angry user because I felt their photo was inappropriate for my group.

As well as this, I feel the "rejection" notice breeds a negative atmosphere and can destroy confidence as well as the fun aspect of sharing good work. Now yes, in saying that, one can develop a thick enough skin to be unaffected by such decisions of another group admin(s), but it isn't conducive toward a happy and positive framework for user experiences.

Atop this, and I know I am not alone here, I use photography as a means of escapism and therapy, for my personal situation is a battle with depression, the lift I get from my work is immeasurable, to then be greeted by "rejection", has sometimes a downing affect on one's mood. I think Flickr should always try to encourage a more positive operation as often as is possible.

Other than that I think we can get by. :o)

Thanks for your time.

Warmest regards

Robin

view photos

Thad Zajdowicz says:

This is a clear example of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." I totally dislike this now method of notifications. Revert to the old system.

view photos

Riovissi says:

A user commented and then Faved 25 of my other images, but only 12 of the Faved images were displayed in Notifications. It would be nice to be able to see/know all the images that they found of interest (assuming that is the case).

view photos

Mobile Lynn says:

Its impossible to use. The first thing I do every morning is go to recent activity and go through image by image all my comments by going to each image from the recent activity tab and then using the back arrow to return to recent activity. When I have been through all my images I am then happy for the pages to refresh because I know I have covered every image. In the new activity centre everything refreshes even if I use the back arrow. Its like trying to track a moving target and is a HUGE!!!!!!!!!!! backward step. This would stop me using Flickr. Can you also return the Recent Activity page to showing page numbers at the bottom, it is also a bunch of since you changed it as I see the same images all over the place and in completely the wrong time order!!!!!!!! I'm so fed up with this its ruining my use experience! I don't want things to refresh until I tell it to!

Recent Activity was my bible. I have about 20 images progressing through different groups each day. I visited the Recent activity tab twice a day, morning and evening and use my own marker on each photo to note where I am up to - like this - 👍👍👍👍👍 . I then pick up where I left off doing everything from a static Recent Activity. I never ever visited the notifications that used to exist because they were totally useless and this new centre is exactly the same, useless. Give us back what we had, it worked!!

Edited by Flickr Staff for language
R L Catlow (staff) edited this topic 6 weeks ago.

view photos

Clement Tang * says:

Mobile Lynn:

You have spoken my situation as well!!

I have cut down my interactions with other fellow photographers/contacts. It is impossible to go to earlier messages via RA.

May more fellow members speak up.

view photos

Kinkette Pec says:

Don't like it sorry.
Assuming that I must want to follow people who follow me and forcing me to click on a photo to check the fave count means I am now having to use the mouse far far more to navigate etc than I used too.
You have made it into a long chore of clicking back and forth instead of being able to just take it all in with a glance :(

view photos

Rodolfo Quinio says:

Recent activity on my photos - NOT in chronological order.

Notifications which you are bragging about does not contain who the members are that faved & commented on my one photo within an hour. I had this photo faved & commented by members within an hour or so & all it did show was XYZ faved this same photo + 6 others. The same goes with the comments. All 7 faved & commented. If there is no Recent activity on my photos I have to go one by one on that particular photo. This is even making life difficult for us once you remove recent activity.

Don't you have people there that has something in between their two ears on how to make life easier for your paying members?

view photos

Rodolfo Quinio says:

Mobile Lynn:

Very true. No wonder we're having less traffic in our photos. Members are so confused.

I also have the same way as you & if RA is a mess then I can't go check out the others who faved & commented on my photos.

view photos

franspelsmaekers says:

The new lay-out is a BIG BIG BIG MISTAKE!!!!!!!

view photos

mondgebraeunt says:

Robin Shepperson Photography:

I like to know about such things. I can look over and check, what was the problem with the photo. Probably i didn’t fit the rules, so I can adapt if needed. Furthermore, if someone reacts aggressive on things, spare them out, you aren’t forced to reply on such reactions- i think, people that behave like this, also aren’t fun for the atmosphere, and when they don’t want to play by the rules, they are in the wrong group. Let’s be honest, how many people just spam the groups with photos, ignoring the rules? - For me personally, it’s something that is super nervewrecking. So if they are rejected, they might take another glance to understand what was the issue. If they react just rude- don’t reply, or whatever, none needs such people in a group/community. Everyone should be able to think for their own, means also, to read and understand the rules, before i join and also to understand if I did a mistake. I don’t think, that if we spare out an Information, the Problem isn‘t existing.

The only „fear“ one can have, is, if the person rejected a photo without reason, and now the other can see it.

Don’t think, it is possible to bring people in one line.

view photos

Konstantin's Europe and more says:

I also don't like this change, with reasons I'd phrase differently from other comments I've seen: I use Flickr's groups to see which of my pics rises up the steps most easily by gaining lots of comments and faves, because that tells me it's one of my better pics. Often, this surprises me. It's very valuable feedback on the quality of my photography. The old RA was very efficient at giving me this feedback: It showed the most recent 10 activities on one pic in one fell swoop, together with the total number of comments and faves. Now, it shows the same pic 5 or more times in the notifications feed, which just clutters up the feed without giving me any useful additional info. Combined with a random but smaller number of pics listed on each page of the notifications feed, this makes for A LOT MORE CLICKS to get the same info, yikes. Also, from the RA feed I could see easily in most cases whether a pic achieved the needed number of comments to be posted into the next higher level of a step-up group; now it's almost impossible to see this from the notifications feed and I need to open each pic to get an idea. Also yikes.

view photos

Robin Shepperson Photography says:

If people are feeling swamped by the level of notifications, then simply adjust them, when the drop down menu under the notification bell appears when you click it, there is a cog symbol in the top right hand corner, click that and you are taken to a new page where you can adjust the notification settings accordingly.

I just, admittedly painstakingly, muted every group I follow bar the fav and views groups. Now all I get is notifications for likes, comments, invites, but no rejections or the such like. Very simple really.

Have fun everyone! :o)

view photos

Sal Patalano says:

To me, this is useless….for many years, I have been asking to see who is not following me that I follow…but to no avail……

I guess it’s too much to ask

view photos

Mobile Lynn:

You just gave a precise description of my workflow - that's exactly how I do things every day. I've tried but it can't be done with Notifications. And now it can't be done with the messed-up RA either...

The fact that something is 15 years old is no reason in itself to change it. I would be okay with it if the presentation of RA is made to feel more contemporary and in line with the rest of the platform, but please, good people at Flickr, don't change its basic principles. They are sound and well thought out and have withstood the test of time. Its picture-centric approach what separates Flickr from other notification-centric platforms, so be proud of your unique assets!

view photos

decembre says:

Resume:
- Separate options for Notification Center and Bell Notification.
- Add a pagination to each.
- Add the same Buddy menu - like we have in this topic - to each avatar should be useful too...

And maybe add a way to use more specifics tabs:
By example for "Comments after your comments, "Pools invitations, etc
decembre edited this topic 6 weeks ago.

view photos

joeke pieters says:

mdiepraam (50 mln views!):

I fully agree!

This thread has been closed by Flickr Staff.

(701 to 800 of 1320 replies in New Flickr Notifications Center and Settings available to all members.)
Subscribe to a feed of stuff on this page... Feed – Subscribe to help discussion threads