Help / The Help Forum

This thread has been closed by Flickr Staff.

Hot Topics

[Official Thread] Have an idea for Flickr? Share it here.
Latest: 8 hours ago
New Flickr Notifications Center and Settings available to all members.
Latest: 4 weeks ago
[Updated April 26, 2021] Flickr is moving payments to Stripe
Latest: 11 months ago
Welcome to the Flickr Help Forum! Click here to get started and to read our Forum Guidelines.
Latest: 16 months ago

Current Discussion

What's with searching your own photo's?
Latest: 42 minutes ago
Extremely low views and faves
Latest: 3 hours ago
The Panda is back.
Latest: 4 hours ago
why my safe photos are beeing restriced by the bot?
Latest: 4 hours ago
No email notifications on a new photo
Latest: 5 hours ago
Video Playback Issue
Latest: 6 hours ago
cannot cancel Pro
Latest: 9 hours ago
[Investigating] No pictures photostrip or else!
Latest: 9 hours ago
Releasing an alias/URL if the original member seems to no longer be active?
Latest: 10 hours ago
Notifications: how to read multiple comments?
Latest: 13 hours ago
Sharing Album
Latest: 13 hours ago
iPhone video quality question
Latest: 18 hours ago
More...

Search the Help Forum

New Flickr Notifications Center and Settings available to all members.

Flickr Staff

Leticia Roncero says:

Updates:

9/16/21: Summary of latest reply. If you have further questions or feedback about using the Notifications Center, please write to our Support team. The Recent Activity page will be sunset on December 15, 2021. Our latest reply also lists upcoming improvements that we'll be implementing based on your feedback and additional community feedback that we're taking into consideration.

9/08/21: Acknowledged feedback regarding seeing the total number of faves that a photo has and seeing all of your photos that someone has recently faved (currently notifications is only surfacing 12)

8/17/21: Acknowledged 2 known issues (slow loading and not seeing recent faves)

=======

Today, after months of development, feedback rounds with our members, and hard work, we are continuing our rollout from 25% to 100% of the new Flickr Notifications Center and Notifications Settings pages.

What does this mean?

We’ve expanded the current notifications from the bell icon at the top of Flickr and introduced a new tab for groups you admin. We’ve also introduced a Notifications Center page so you can see your notifications with more screen real estate.

What’s new?

The Notifications Center
The Notifications Center is a rebuilt version of the Recent Activity page designed to surface all of the latest activity related to your Flickr experience. To access the Notifications Center, click on the bell icon in the navigation bar at the top of Flickr, and at the bottom of the dropdown, you’ll see the link that used to read “View Recent Activity” now reads “View all notifications.” When you click that, you’ll be taken to the new Notifications Center, where you’ll be able to access all your notifications, filter your notifications by type (ie.: faves, group invitations, comments on your photos, etc.), and check the latest activity on your photos, groups, and conversations.

Notifications Settings Page
The Notifications Settings page allows you to turn on or mute notifications by type. This page gives you control over your in-site notifications as well as email notifications to decide what you’re notified about, how you’re notified, and even how often. To access the Notifications Settings page, click on the bell icon in the navigation bar at the top of Flickr and you’ll notice a new gear icon that will take you to the Notifications Settings page.

Group Notifications
For groups, we’ve added new notification types to let you know when admins update the group admin blast, as well as group description and rules. Additionally, group admins will now see notifications for the groups they admin as a separate tab so they can easily sort out the priority updates for their groups from personal notifications and from groups they don’t admin. If you’re not interested in receiving group notifications, you can turn them off on your Notifications Settings page. Please note that there’s no option to turn off notifications for all groups at once, so please be intentional about which groups you mute.

New ‘Options’ in your Groups page
As we are rolling out the new Notifications, you’ll also see updates to your Groups list page, where all of your groups are displayed. We’ve changed the name of “Faved Groups” to “Pinned Groups” to avoid conflating with the action of faveing photos/videos. Pinning a group will keep that group at the top of your list, and will ensure you get notified of any new group discussions posted to that group. There’s also a new column called Options, which lets you manage group notifications, show or hide groups from your activity feed, and more. If you desire, you can use the Options column on the Groups list page to mute/unmute each of your groups. To pin a group on your Groups list page, select the Options column three-dot menu next to the desired group and choose “Pin to top of page.” If you want a group pinned to the top of the page, but you don’t want group notifications, you can mute the group from the same menu, or from your Notifications Settings page.

Comment modal in Notifications (how to see all comments made for one of your photos)
When you click on a comment notification from the Notifications Center page, you will get a modal that lets you scroll through all the comments on the photo without leaving the Notifications dropdown or Notifications Center. You can also reply to the comments from that modal. For people who like to go through all their comment threads without context switching, this should be a useful workflow for you now.

You can see a video demo of this in action here.

Archiving (changes to how some notifications are presented)
With these changes, you’ll now see notifications for recent activity on your photos, discussions, and groups, rather than seeing every previous interaction associated with that photo/video/group, etc. Let's take an example:

In the old format, let's say I had uploaded a photo five years ago, and it had 45 faves already. If a couple of folks named Pat and John came along and faved it today, the notification would read, "Pat and John and 45 other people faved your photo." We were showing the count of the entire history of faves on the photo in the notification, even though some of the faves might have been five years old.

In the new format with this hypothetical example, you'll get a notification that says, "Pat and John faved your photo." We're surfacing what has happened recently and seems most relevant.

Likewise, we've changed some of the models for how notifications are presented, with the intent to cut down on the noise when, for example, one person faves a bunch of your photos. In the past, if Pat faved ten of your photos, you would have received ten separate notifications. With the new model, we'll now simply show you a batch notification that says "Pat faved ten photos'' with thumbnails for those ten photos. Here is a visual example.

Changes to the Recent Activity page
If you regularly use Recent Activity, you're going to notice a change to the navigation at the bottom of that page. Because we are archiving old notifications as described above, we're not able to maintain pagination at the bottom of Recent Activity. So where you previously could see page 1, 2, 3, etc., until the last page, you will now use a "next →" button to navigate. We’ve added a "start" button as well so that you don't have to use the back arrow on your browser.
If you notice that items you previously muted are showing up for you with new reactions in Recent Activity, this is due to the way the archiving data is stored. If you want to mute comments on a particular photo/video, for example, you’ll need to do that in the new Notifications to have it work on Recent Activity.

If you still regularly use Recent Activity and haven't explored the new Notifications, now is a good time to try the new system. We have spent the past few months monitoring the performance of this new experience and working to incorporate feedback to make sure that everything that you can view in Recent Activity is available in the Notifications Center or elsewhere on Flickr. We are keeping Recent Activity while everyone gets used to the new notifications center, but our plan is to eventually remove this page and focus on making notifications the go-to experience for keeping up with your activity on Flickr. We'll continue fine-tuning notifications, so if you notice anything that doesn't appear to be working as it should or you're unable to accomplish a specific workflow in notifications that you could in recent activity, please let us know here. We've also included an FAQ in our Help Center.

Answers to some FAQs about the new Notifications Center:

“The new system is missing some notifications. For example, I can’t find [X] notification type.”
We built the new Notifications Center with feature parity in mind, which means you should be able to see all the same types of notifications (and other new ones) that you used to see on the Recent Activity page. If you have lots of new activity that you need to manage, the Notifications Center page lets you filter your notifications by type. For example, show only notifications for comments, or only for group invitations, etc. You can select different filters depending on what you want to see. Click on the “All Notifications” dropdown at the top of the notifications list to apply filters.

“On the Recent Activity page, I was able to see individual replies and comments without having to open the actual photo page.”
You can do this from the new Notifications Center as well! When you click on a comment link from the Notifications Center page, you will get a modal that lets you scroll through ALL the comments for that image. You can also reply to the comments from that modal, without leaving the Notifications Center page.

“I want to see the list of people who faved my photo(s) without having to navigate to the actual photo page.”
Similarly to how we brought the comment modal into the new notifications after feedback that folks wanted to be able to see all the comments on a photo without having to go to the photo page, we are looking at how we can bring the fave modal that is currently on the photo page (e.g. “[person 1], [person 2] and [n more people] faved your photo”) into the Notifications Center and under the bell icon. We’ve wanted to update that modal component to have more functionality, so this is a perfect time to do so. We’ll work on that after we get 100% of the community into the new system.
Posted at 11:40AM, 26 August 2021 PDT ( permalink )
cabb88 (staff) edited this topic 4 weeks ago.

(801 to 900 of 1320 replies in New Flickr Notifications Center and Settings available to all members.)
view photos

Nick Kenrick.. says:

awful .. please go back
Posted 6 weeks ago. ( permalink )

view photos

chdphd says:

I really don't care about admin blasts, but now I get to mute notifications about them being updated

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

view photos

Kernowfile says:

A question:

I do not wish to see "admin blasts". I'm not wading back through all the previous posts to find the relevant response from Flickr staff, but I seem to recall that one response was phrased in such a way that it suggested that if the "three dot menu" is opened on a notification and the mute option is chosen, then all future similar notifications relating to the same source will be muted/suppressed. Is this interpretation correct, please?

To be crystal clear, if I receive an admin blast from a group, will muting that one blast also mute/suppress all future blasts from that group? This may be a bit tedious at first, but the system should quickly "learn" my preferences.

One final point, if this is indeed how the mute option works, and I changed my mind and wanted to receive such notifications, how would I do that?

view photos

d_silva1 says:

This is awful. I'm getting a ton of notifications I have no interest in. How to I adjust this? It seems from the comments everyone agrees this change is not useful in anyway. Why are you continuing this?

view photos

Bill Amidon says:

Leticia Roncero:

In my comment which you removed the point I made was that regardless of how much negative feedback you receive, I expect that you will continue with the plan to eliminate RA. By responding with: "...we ask that members keep their feedback constructive so that we can better understand your needs and continue fine-tuning the new experience." you made my point. Our needs are met by continuing RA, which has always been the best feature of Flickr, making it uniquely user-friendly.

It was well said by Patrick (1945), in a comment that was not removed - "...the last thing we want is something to make our lives more miserable and frustrating. It's not hard to admit that Flickr is wrong here and it's not too difficult to reverse those actions."

view photos

Photollo says:

New Look, looks good to me! Thank you! 👍

view photos

eb 2010 says:

An interesting addition not sure its necessary - having photograph rejected from groups in such a way is very negative and disheartening for a photographer whether amateur, professional or hobbyist.

I hope it doesn't put too many people off or the groups mods let power go to their head. Maybe best leave the groups?

We don't need negative actions in this day and age flickr think of those who enjoy, post and of course pay!!

view photos

ShellyS says:

eb 2010:

An interesting addition not sure its necessary - having photograph rejected from groups in such a way is very negative and disheartening for a photographer whether amateur, professional or hobbyist.

As an admin of a few groups with queues and a mod of another, I see knowing a photo was rejected as a positive thing. I've had many people resubmit photos I had already rejected, perhaps thinking they'd forgotten to submit it. I have often thought that when one of my photos was rejected from a group with a moderated queue. Maybe people getting notices about rejected photos will stop them from resubmitting them over and over. And I'm in groups with frequent discussion thread started by people wanting to know why their photo was rejected, dating to long before the new notifications started.

Of course, group notifications can be turned off. It took me 5-10 minutes to toggle off all my nearly 250 groups.

view photos

aarsbog says:

I have been evaluating this for a week before I wanted to give a comment.

I don´t like this change at all. The reason is that now there are horrendously more and diversified notifications. This takes the user´s attention away from photography and more towards using time on notifications.

I also feel that this is something you are doing to collect and organize more data. I don´t like that trend at all.

Now that I also see my photos rejected all the time, constantly, I don´t feel this is very encouraging. I have left groups now because I don´t feel included.

I admin only one group - and now I get so many notifications. And this is a rather "dead" group as well. It is very, very annoying. Also I don´t feel comfortable having to reject some photos anymore either. Is there any use of groups anymore? Or are we just going to be "islands" for ourselves?

Well, I feel like maybe I shouldn´t be posting to groups anymore.

It was good as it was, I would prefer you kept it that way. Keep it simple.

But I know how it goes...
aarsbog edited this topic 6 weeks ago.

view photos

edlp2k says:

My topic is - How do I stop / mute other peoples photos that I commented on from appearing in my activity feed.

I was able to find the on-off toggle switch to stop others pictures from appearing in my activity feed (It was under the Bell Icon.) However, the toggle seems to work only for notices appearing under the new Bell Icon.

I am still seeing these commented pictures appear in my old / legacy / drop down Recent Activity feed (without the former mute button.)

Maybe a software fix is needed on this?

Thank you!

view photos

Lost Runes says:

I like being able to choose notifications I want, thank you!

I was reading some reply's to this change, and I feel sorry for you at Flickr, because it seems some are unable to comprehend your instructions to make the experience tailored to they're needs.
Lost Runes edited this topic 6 weeks ago.

view photos

Ken Whittle says:

Just received a notification of a comment on a comment that I have made but I have never seen this photo and certainly have never commented on it.
Also the picture had a high view count does this mean that the new system has been hacked

view photos

vanArnhem says:

I don't like it!

view photos

mksfca says:

Recent Activity either does not work at all, and I get the Bad Panda message, or shows only one recent update. I am using Firefox; is that a problem? The notification page gathers all the activities from the same individual as a single message, listing, in this instance,12 of the activities out of 27; so that does not work properly. I would much prefer if you went back to the status quo ante, either abandoning the update or re-working the project without using us a guinea pigs.

view photos

richard.mcmanus. says:

Too many irritating notifications of things of zero interest. I do not want to hear about every change made to a group. It also appears impossible to switch of this notification.

view photos

Rღse says:

This new notifications took me the pleasure of admin my groups... i keep receiving emails of ppl when their pics are rejected and i had to explain myself to them why... why i have to explain my decisions now?
This took me the pleasure of working on the groups and i'm closing them... too stressful for my health and peace of mind... and also i never looked back if my works were accepted or rejected from groups and make me feel bad when i received a notification that i never asked for... what is the propose of this? there are creative communities that are feeling bad and having bad vibes and breaking good relationships with this...
well, only wanted to vent this to someone that can be interested in keep the good relationships and good works in groups....

view photos

Kernowfile says:

I am in a fair number of groups, and I welcome knowing when a photo has been rejected by an admin. I don't like it, but what's the point of continuing to submit photos to a group that constantly rejects them, but you may never know. I was in a fairly tightly run group a few years back and eventually left after monitoring acceptances and came to the conclusion the the admin and I had different ideas of what constituted creativity. Without knowing of rejections both he and I were wasting our time.

Only rarely would I contact an admin over a rejection. I would look at the rejected image, check that against the group rules, and decide what to do. A high rate of rejections should similarly make an admin look at the group rules(for clarity), the group title(for clarity), the admin decisions(for consistency and interpretation of rules particularly if a few people are involved). Sometimes, it may just be subjective judgement that prompts the rejection as in my example above. In that case the poster has a decision to make as to whether continuing in the group is worthwhile.

In any event, knowing of the rejection is very useful. I've mentioned in a previous post that since the new notifications started, I've left a few groups where the group title is open to misinterpretation, noted some where I need to be a little more careful as to precisely what is required, and I've joined some new ones where the purposes have been very clearly stated. I tend to avoid anyway, those groups which make life more complicated.

view photos

Clement Tang * says:

Bill Amidon:

So very true! Keep the previous version of RA. I don't object the BELL - the two can co-exist.

view photos

Starr Raine..2nd account.. lost my original acct says:

I really do not like anything about the update and wish it was remained to how it was.

view photos

•☽ KatKaos ☾• says:

Leticia Roncero:

Notifications won't load, edit picture in flickr won't load... so I'm missing features that used to work fine :/

view photos

mimbrava says:

Since 2005 I've set my Flickr landing page to Recent Activity so I can see who liked or commented on my photos. I resent now having to scroll through Group posts when all I want to do is to view recent activity on my photos. What made you think that all that scrolling is an improvement?

view photos

Sal Patalano says:

Every time I log in, I am asked what I think about the new feature……to me it is worthless…give me the old way….this is like when all the people were complaining that the titanic was sinking, ad they were told, yes, but we made a fresh pot of coffee…..that’s what the new feature is to me….a fresh pot of coffee….sorry…just how I feel…

view photos

louise.woodstock says:

I mentioned a few days ago that I didn't like the change. It's not even working properly, as sometimes I've had many more faves comments than what shows in the notifications. After using the site a few more times, I hate it even more. I've read a few comments on here, many don't like it. What on earth were you thinking to create the change? This is even more reason to not pay for Pro, and now, I'm thinking about leaving Flickr altogether. Probably many more are thinking the same. It's not as fun as it use to be when I joined back in 2016, that's for sure!

view photos

AllHarts says:

I do not care for the new location for to find awards, notifications and more.
This one is too cumbersome and involves way too much scrolling. Don't care for it.

view photos

johngpt says:

So how many frikkin' times do I have to mute notification on the same image for it to stick?

This Notification deal is the least workable thing I've seen in a long time.

Please continue Recent Activity and restore it to what it had been.
Restore the mute button to it.

Recent Activity was an extremely convenient and logical way to keep track of photos and comments.

This Notification method is extremely inefficient.
It is redundant with the wrong things.
It doesn't show the information with which I'm concerned.

It's just as bad as the notifications on Facebook, which it resembles greatly.

view photos

johngpt says:

One of my Flickr friends made a comment here at this thread to which an admin replied.

The only way my friend knew of that reply was because I told him.

If admins are responding here to comments made by Flickr users, why aren't those Flickr users being notified?

view photos

Moon Rhythm says:

I find the new notifications option intrusive and having to now select "mute group" on every notice I'm sent is time invested on nonsense. Too bad Flickr doesn't allow for users to have the option of choosing the new or old version.

view photos

Virginia Rivers says:

Stop the admin blasts. Go back to the old version of notifications.

view photos

sophie_merlo says:

awful, if you try to reply and have more than a few comments, it takes you right back to the beginning of your notifcations.

view photos

mariola aga says:

no, thank you ... I like the old way

view photos

blahblah_69 says:

I doubt Flickr cares about any of this feedback, it's just a place for people to vent here [and not on other platforms] and then accept the change. I'm glad I don't pay them money.

view photos

Jane Statham says:

johngpt:

I was only thinking yesterday that it now looked rather like my (not often used) Facebook page. Pity, as I don't like that either.

............................................................................................

How do you "mute" someone that has added you as a contact? (Hate the term "following"), there isn't a "Mute" option when the notification comes up.

.........................................................................................................;

As someone said upthread, you (Flickr) have asked us what we feel about it and I'd say the majority of people don't like it. But, are you just going to make us put up with it - as usual, or are you actually going to allow us to choose? Or even better, go back to what we had before, which worked and worked well.

Edited by me for a typo.

view photos

saxman1597 says:

Absolutely awful!

view photos

Xtoffa says:

Hate what you've done to Recent Activity and don't care about Notifications. Why do you have to ruin things?

view photos

mdiepraam (50 mln views!) says:

I've tried to work with Notifications instead of RA in the past few days, since working with RA has been turned into a nightmare experience with its multiple copies of the same pictures and unchronological order. If you want to stop people from using RA anymore - it's worked!

Slowly getting to grips with the new way but it's still ten times more inefficient. Returning to the top of the Notifications page and having to reload older notifications each and every time I go back is a real pain in the neck. Also, I very much miss all of the additional information that RA gave with the picture without actually having to go to it, such as number of faves and comments - useful for submitting it to new groups. Now I have to click on each and every picture to get that information, which means getting sent back to the top of the Notifications page for those as well!

view photos

Cuttysark974 says:

I do not like it at all!

view photos

Finn Frode (DK) says:

johngpt:

Recent Activity was an extremely convenient and logical way to keep track of photos and comments.

Recent Activity was a great tool, but I doubt any of the present members of Staff ever has used it. Their replies to the users shows a lack of understanding what we have been doing with it... :(

view photos

jhutchinson31 says:

It's a waste of my time seeing all this extraneous stuff. I have no interest in the fact that someone I don't know made a comment on a photo that I have commented on. All I want to know is who has faved or commented on my own images. This kind of nonsense will make me less likely to go Pro once I reach my image count limit. I suggest you get rid of this unwanted rubbish immediately

view photos

mcnod says:

jhutchinson31:

I have no interest in the fact that someone I don't know made a comment on a photo that I have commented on

It is very easy to turn that type of notification off . . .

view photos

janano2010 says:

I do t think it’s a bad idea however when I have viewed all the comments I expect the notification bell to reset to zero but mine keeps coming back to 2
I don’t have to be a busy fool

view photos

albyn.davis says:

Kernowfile:

I just want to support this thoughtful view of knowing rejections. If we want to improve our photography, it is one way to learn. If we want to be more selective with choosing groups, it is one way to learn.
Should every "child" get a trophy? "Rejections" are a part of life.
albyn.davis edited this topic 6 weeks ago.

view photos

FotoFling Scotland says:

albyn.davis:

Well said ! At first I took slight offence at noticing that some of my submissions had been rejected but I've now got over that and accept that it is useful to know what what's been rejected. It has enabled me to be more selective in submission and I am more understanding of the curation methodology of the group administration.

view photos

Sandra Ixito says:

Leticia Roncero:

Sorry, this is horrible lots oft info nobody cares about! I dont care what admin x Form group y does and has changed.do you know how many msg's one can get ,..daily! When you are a member oft 100+ groups!
Whats good is the fave batch. Or what pics have been declined and removed..but pls reconsider notifications about what admins change...😑🙄😰

view photos

Paul McClure DC says:

I was in the habit of using Recent Activity intensively about once a month to catch up on comments and likes, and thank other users for these. Because I post a lot and get a fair amount of activity, it was common for me to go to page 100 or beyond. But I could tell that people appreciated even a late response, and this had the side benefit of helping me pinpoint any typos in my titles and descriptions of images.

Without pagination I can't do any of this. I can see from other comments here that there are lots of other problems, but without this one feature of page numbers, Recent Activity is now basically useless in terms of the way I've used it for years.

Please reinstate the page numbers. It's a feature we have everywhere else in Flickr, so it's silly to lose it in Recent Activity.

view photos

my.travels says:

Bill Amidon:

I agree with you.. My comments were deleted, too. They do not want to understand that I am not against New Notifications. I just want RA co-existing with it.

view photos

my.travels says:

Today, I found that one of my past photos was faved almost a week ago and I never received a notification through the new notifications. Even, this so called new feature does not work properly.

view photos

Bill Amidon says:

Leticia Roncero:

"Today, after months of development, feedback rounds with our members, and hard work, we are continuing our rollout from 25% to 100% of the new Flickr Notifications Center and Notifications Settings pages."

Why is it that, apparently for most of us, this is the first we've heard of these changes?

These comments, the overwhelming majority of which are negative, are not just the lazy whining of people stuck in their ways, unwilling to change. They're the comments of angry people who understand that what you're doing is making fundamental changes to the user experience. No matter how much Notifications is fine tuned, it can't replace the elegant functionality of RA. Everyone uses Flickr differently. For many of us RA has been home base on Flickr and the point from which all interaction with other photographers and groups proceeds. No matter how much it is tweaked Notifications will always be essentially different from RA. I'm a long time member and have enjoyed using Flickr very much, and I don't think it's a stretch to say the reason is because of the functionality of RA. The quick organized overview of information is perfect for instantly assessing what's happening on your photos, groups, and comments on other photos, allowing for rapid interactions, "conversations", with other photographers. The reason I don't use Notifications is because it doesn't aid my use of Flickr at all, it just gets in the way.
I have to say I'm astonished by what is happening. Instead of ignoring or removing negative comments it would be great if you could do us the courtesy of explaining the reasoning, the thinking, the motivations behind these changes.

view photos

Bill Amidon says:

Paul McClure DC:

Hi Paul, I'm one of your followers and enjoy your photos very much.
In reading your comment I concluded there's one bit of information missing. Pagination, or anything else for that matter, isn't the issue with regard to RA. Sad to say, RA isn't being changed or fixed, it's being eliminated.
Bill Amidon edited this topic 6 weeks ago.

view photos

Dorota.S - ! says:

Not thoughtful and useless !!!!

view photos

Bill Amidon says:

my.travels:

Ha! You must have stepped on someone's toes. As far as I'm concerned, Notifications can disappear rather than RA. RA is far, far better and renders it pointless.

view photos

.Sophie C. says:

Awful... no ability to remove notifications seen unlike before where we could delete them in "new activity". the page requested by the "bell" is long to load in addition.

view photos

johngpt says:

Ten minutes ago I uploaded a photo to my photostream. I added a comment. I made the photo visible to the public.

It's still not showing either in Recent Activity or Taco Bell Notifications.

Once upon a time it was instantaneous.

view photos

fryske says:

I'm confused with the new Notifications page.
What does it supposedly give us over and above the Recent Activity page?

I've clicked on the bell for a second time this evening and there are no notifications showing - it says "When you have new notifications, they’ll appear here."

Does that mean you cannot see previous notification on this new notifications page?

Secondly -- viewing on a phone via the Android app.

The bell is showing no recent favs or comments, merely a list of discussions that have been started in groups that I am a member of.

The most recent showing is 2y ago.
Why is this top of the list?

view photos

jinxmcc says:

I'm a Flickr supporter since 2006 and PRO since there was such a thing. I've bought multiple PRO memberships for friends to introduce them to Flickr and/or to support their continued participation. So if I don't count as a benefactor, surely I am a serious member.

This new Notifications seems as if it's designed to narrow and stifle the friendly Flickr experience. Flickr has always been warm; this comes across as cold.

The fact that the majority on this thread have been saying they don't like it, and why, with almost complete silence from Administrators, is a good illustration of that. What were you thinking? does it matter to you that your faithful Flickr members are repelled?

Is Facebook paying you to destroy Flickr??

view photos

dewicana says:

I'm pretty happy with the new notifications. I like having more information about what's going on...

view photos

fryske says:

On the new page: Choosing "All notifications" simply shows me pointless stuff about changed group descriptions but none of the recent favs.

view photos

fryske says:

Choosing "faves" shows nothing!?

view photos

Kernowfile says:

A lot of the objections to the new notifications system, including mine to some extent, relate to the group notifications. When you click on the "manage" link you can turn them on/off - all of them. What is really required is that each of the 5 categories of notification stated on the manage page should be capable of being turned on/off individually. Preferably globally, but with a group by group override. One of my wishes would then be satisfied.

The old RA format, adapted to include whatever additional information is required by users would be the best outcome here. The new NC doesn't seem to work either in terms of the information it contains or in the format of presentation.

view photos

M.P.N.texan says:

Please Please restore the RA page to include the mute button. I went to the new notification page; worked my way to the "Comments on Photos You Have Commented On"; and IT"S BLANK! Does the staff have to change everything that's working on Flickr just to stay employed?

view photos

OzGFK says:

I do like the new design, and for those that think more data is being collected, that is simply not true, all this data and stats were available under the old recent activity.

But, I have made feedback in this thread about functionality issues and I was hoping to get some response from Flickr.

I have a new issue that I experienced today. Previously when I clicked on the notifications bell, it displayed a pull down menu, now when I click on it, it takes me away from the page I am on (in this case, this help forum thread). When I am in the notifications page, and I click on the bell, the drop down menu then activates. Is this a bug? I would prefer the notifications bell remains as a drop down menu, not a link to a new page.
OzGFK edited this topic 6 weeks ago.

view photos

Rodolfo Quinio says:

Even the Notifications is NOT in chronological order. This is really as you say months of working by the Flickr IT is just a waste of time & money. It plain to see you have hired incompetent staff.

view photos

4ced2think says:

This is ridiculous! Why did you trash something that actually worked? There are plenty of other things you could keep your developers working on. Reconsidering keeping a Pro account.

I can't even access the page from the link in the old notifications box...it grumbles about cookies, but my cookie settings are set at "moderate" and I should not have to open them up all the way to access information I'm paying for.
4ced2think edited this topic 6 weeks ago.

view photos

mag3737 says:

OzGFK:

I have a new issue that I experienced today. Previously when I clicked on the notifications bell, it displayed a pull down menu, now when I click on it, it takes me away from the page I am on (in this case, this help forum thread). When I am in the notifications page, and I click on the bell, the drop down menu then activates. Is this a bug? I would prefer the notifications bell remains as a drop down menu, not a link to a new page.

This is not a bug. Whether you get the page or the pull-down menu of Notifications is dependent on which page you are coming from. Some pages on Flickr have a newer Javascript codebase than others. All the "new code" pages will give you the pull-down Notifications when you click the bell. All the ones with "old" code will take you to the "page" version of Notifications.

The Notifications page is itself in the category of "new code" --- which is why clicking the bell on that page gives you the pull-down menu.

view photos

Conny-CD says:

Well, >I don't like the new notification centre... the old one was fine, visually much, much better to find/update yourself on any news in your preferred community....

view photos

Nadia (no awards please !) says:

jinxmcc:

Absolutely agree with you about the silence of the administrators (for me : arrived on Flickr on 2007)... we have reached on this forum, about 9 pages of comments about the new page of notifications. No one is ok with that. Everyone gives his opinion and asks to come back to the previous version.... and what about the administrators ? no answer.... as usual, they do not take into account our feedback.
Have a great day.

view photos

conall.. says:

i think we need to accept that the old recent activity is going to cease to exist and so emphasis should be to encourage Flickr to make the new bell notification more fit for purpose and less irritating than it is at present

For me the single most irritating aspect of the new notifications is that when a contact places comments on more than one photo, the comments are not visible on the notification page. Even if you filter to look at "comments on your pictures" they are still not visible. To see the comments you have to click on the photo go all the way to the bottom of the comments and see the comment. Then the only easy way to go back to where you where in the notifications page is to use the go back arrow in the browser - feels very awkward and annoying especially when the "recent activity" method was so slick and easy.

If contacts just comment on one photo then the new notification system works well - you can see the comments.

So my ask is: Would it be possible to have all comments displayed even if a the person who has commented has commented on more than one picture (if folk feel this is too much information then it could be that all comments are displayed only when you filter by "comments on your pictures")

example below in case text not clear. A comment on one picture is readable directly from the notification page. A commentator that has commented on more than one picture - the comments are hidden and require further clicks.
example

view photos

Kathy~ says:

HATE it ( and Hate is a strong one for me)
I am in challenge groups, and admin in 2--- I don't need to see all the notifications in those and who commented in a thread I voted in also.
All I need is to see who commented on my photos, nothing more.
I would like that default button only, not be shown all notifications first

view photos

Tony / Guy@Fawkes says:

Anyone else noticed a huge drop in activity or is it just me ?

I wonder why !

view photos

spelio says:

Leticia Roncero:

Have I missed an update explanation or have you changed Notifications to now report acceptance or rejection of a photo posted to a Group.

I have never seen this before, or so many rejection notifications....

Thanks, overall the new Notifications works fine.. Bill

view photos

tootdood says:

What a load of tosh, switch it back or at least give us the option to choose between the new or the old way.

view photos

Pink-Kat (Kate) says:

tootdood: LOL, agreed!

Tosh - A derisory term used in the same way as rubbish or crap or bollocks!

view photos

m△x says:

I think the change is fine but we seriously need a way to disable *all* group update notifications. I don't care if someone changed a group title or changed the rules for a group. But the only way to disable those is to manually go through the hundreds of groups I'm in and disable each. Please, please just let us disable all group admin updates, it's just noise.

view photos

Wil C. Fry says:

m△x:

we seriously need a way to disable *all* group update notifications

+1

(Fortunately, I'm in few groups, but this seems like an obvious oversight by designers.)

Like other old-timers, I strongly dislike the change, but I've been around long enough to realize that my opinion will be ignored, so I plan to get used to the new system as well as I can. :-/

view photos

Rasande Tyskar says:

Keep "Recent Activity" as it was (and it was good!). Do whatever you want with "The Bell" if you need to to anything. If you want to make anything better, just adress the old issues and bugs first and improve the mobile apps. Don't forget this is a photo platform in the first place and not some other social media-style-info-bomb!

view photos

Morgana Nagorski says:

I absolutely HATE it. just want to see comments and faves on MY pics. Now I have to wade through an ocean of stuff I am not interested in.

PURE NOISE

view photos

Ch² says:

I prefer the new notifications , improving the details about comments . I am not interested in groups , so I have no adequat opinions ...

view photos

Rick & Bart says:

Don't like it at all ...don't FIX anything that isn't broken.

view photos

Joan Fradera | Fotografo says:

Leticia Roncero:

Absolutely awful and horrible! I really hate it!

view photos

writing with light 2422 says:

I really REALLY want the 'Turn off notifications for this post') button back, can't wade through all that every time I want to check on my peeps comments.

view photos

conall.. says:

Rick & Bart:

Joan Fradera | Fotografo:

Rasande Tyskar:

tootdood:

It is clear that the old RA is going to be decommissioned. It is already developing creaks. There is no point in asking for it back.

I think rather than just say you hate the new notifications you should be specific about what the problems are and what needs fixed/included/left out. Lets get a functional/fun/slick arrangement new notifications rather than fight the inevitable.

Be specific. I am sure this is the way to get through this and keep loving Flickr.

view photos

jinxmcc says:

Reading through these comments, I'm interested to note that for the most part people in two quite different populations of Flickr users ---

(1) those who use Flickr the way I have --- a friendly conversational way to share photos with some remarkably good photographers, while forming distant friendships and sharing ideas --- and

(2) those who use it as a photographers' learning and showing tool, with lots of participation in groups and interest in reactions but not so much the people behind the comments ---

most of both groups find the new system does not serve their wants as well as the old Recent Activities function did. RA could be tweaked to serve the wishes of both groups.

Flickr, don't make this change! or at least don't eliminate RA for those who prefer it.

view photos

my.travels says:

I totally agree with you.

view photos

my.travels says:

It looks admins quit reading our opinions here. They do not care or they are not allowed to do so.

view photos

my.travels says:

Here is the constructive idea:

Combine "Recent Activity" and "New Notifications" and make it "Last Notifications."

view photos

mcnod says:

my.travels:

It looks admins quit reading our opinions here.

Why do say this? Is it because they have not commented for three days,
(three days of a US holiday weekend, try to keep this in mind).

view photos

T h e Shadow says:

Grouping multiple 'faves' from one user under one notification: Different, not better, not worse.

Notification of a group admin accepting or rejecting a photo: Interesting, possibly useful addition. Since I post to groups based on their names only, I don't drill down and refresh my memory on the arcane rules some of them have, I've used this to drop out of groups whose names apparently don't match my general understanding of the subject.

Notification of 'admin blasts': Worthless clutter. Please get rid of this or add options to enable and disable different kinds of notifications from groups.

view photos

galsafrafoto says:

Why I stopped to get notifications about who faved my photos?
I didn’t turn off the FAVES button.
For example to the photo "Panama. Meanders from the plane." I received within twenty four hours 206+ faves and only few of them appeared in Notifications?

view photos

my.travels says:

According to new notifications a user faved my 24 photos. However, it only shows the 12 faved.

view photos

johngpt says:

The double notification redundancy is quite annoying.

I post almost every day to a group associated with days of the week.
Bench Monday.
Tree-mendous Tuesday, you get the drift.

We make comments at photos at the group.
Often we make comments by clicking on the Reply to comment icon.

This new Notifications gives us double notifications.
One notification says so and so mentioned me.
The second notification says so and so commented on a photo you commented on.

Recent Activity would succinctly show the photo and show the person's comment. That's all it needs.

This new Notifications is absolutely inefficient.
It shows nothing like what we who use Flickr a lot want to see.

view photos

OzGFK says:

mag3737:

If not a bug, then an annoying design issue. There is no visual indicator to prompt that the bell operates differently on different pages.

view photos

ChristianofDenmark says:

Still don't like the new layout - would you please change it back.

view photos

amazingstoker says:

Please can you add an option to group all the comments and faves for a particular image together under one list entry. It's pain in the anatomy having scroll up and down the page with comments and faves for one image all over the place.

view photos

proteinbiochemist says:

I just want to be able to see a list of comments. Not a set of thumbnails and an indication of how many comments were left by an individual.

This has gone from a single click to a multiclick.

view photos

Emz Evergarden says:

I have friends being rejected in groups they did follow the rules I mean something going on?

view photos

citymaus says:

Leticia Roncero:

Prefer the old notifications DROP-DOWN (and easily closeable) instead of opening a whole new notifications page (and having to click Back).

view photos

PeeBee (Baxter Photography) says:

The Notifications Center is definitely NOT a suitable replacement for the Recent Activity list. (How could Flickr even think that? It's like comparing apples & oranges).

By all means, keep twiddling away with NC as a beta experiment if some people prefer it or in case it evolves into a better form.

But PLEASE, Flickr, you MUST keep Recent Activity as an option and repair the damage that you've now done to it.

view photos

edlp2k says:

I like the rejection notices (even though they are ego-crushing.)

I just dropped out of two large groups when I discovered the admin had only admitted one of my on-topic submittals over a long period of time. This saves time for both me and the admin.

view photos

samifoad1 says:

The new notifications have more features, but the old ones were very simple, thanks a lot.

view photos

GeorgeM757 says:

Still a mess...unbelievable!!!!!

view photos

dan@propeakphotography.com (Off for a bit) says:

Why don't I see notifications about comments on my photos, and why am I seeing admin blast updates? This update has made me lose complete and total interest in Flickr, because it requires significantly more time to perform what were routine tasks before.

This thread has been closed by Flickr Staff.

(801 to 900 of 1320 replies in New Flickr Notifications Center and Settings available to all members.)
Subscribe to a feed of stuff on this page... Feed – Subscribe to help discussion threads