Help / The Help Forum

This thread was closed automatically due to a lack of responses over the last month.

Hot Topics

[Official Thread] Have an idea for Flickr? Share it here.
Latest: 10 hours ago
New Flickr Notifications Center and Settings available to all members.
Latest: 3 months ago
[Updated April 26, 2021] Flickr is moving payments to Stripe
Latest: 12 months ago
Welcome to the Flickr Help Forum! Click here to get started and to read our Forum Guidelines.
Latest: 18 months ago

Current Discussion

Intermittent issue when loading picture and either Albums or Groups is not functioning
Latest: 12 minutes ago
Editor
Latest: 51 minutes ago
Flickr pro pricing survey
Latest: 3 hours ago
Please, help! I'm not receiving any email notification about activity on my account.
Latest: 3 hours ago
[Acknowledged by Flickr Staff] Recent activity - Can we have it back? Please???
Latest: 4 hours ago
search.
Latest: 5 hours ago
Structural Underreporting in Bell Icon
[Duplicate] Pictures not showing up today?
notifactions going crazy
Latest: 11 hours ago
upload error
Latest: 12 hours ago
Cast your photos from Flickr APP on Android or iPhone to Chromecast/device
Latest: 12 hours ago
Sorting photos in albums - basic
Latest: 14 hours ago
More...

Search the Help Forum

Can flickr block Pinterest from using my images?

silversalty says:

I looked at a similar existing post on Pinterest but it was closed.

I tried years ago to get Pinterest to stop using my images. Their process didn't work for me and apparently that's my tough luck. At best they use an opt-out setup rather than opt-in, where the opt-out doesn't seem to work. My most popular image (~50 views/day) was suddenly going to Pinterest. 2 views today via Pinterest. I'd be happy with none to them.

Can flickr block Pinterest from using my images?
Posted at 9:01AM, 2 September 2021 PST ( permalink )

view photos

silversalty says:

I seem to be getting views today, probably based on this post. The image I have in mind is my all time view leader, by far. It was always within the top row of a Google image search on 'ice cream shop.'

I'm at the point of making it private since its views are getting hijacked anyway.

www.flickr.com/photos/14060984@N05/51420156256/in/datepos...
Posted 3 months ago. ( permalink )

view photos

taxref (Remodeling) says:

Is filing DMCA takedown notices an option for you? I know that (at least in some cases) can be long and tedious. Still, I hate the thought that some photographers hide their work in order to keep unauthorized people from using it.

view photos

woordenaar says:

Pinterest is the number one content thief, nothing "social" about that site. 90% of what you see there is stolen, and they make big money with it. Bastards.

view photos

silversalty says:

Current google image search on 'ice cream shop'
www.flickr.com/photos/14060984@N05/51423638382/in/datepos...

There's the 50 views/day.

One of the priors -

Business model:

www.flickr.com/photos/14060984@N05/6510287751/in/photolis...

Once met Jay Maisel. He'd sue and get $25k for unauthorized use. I've given image use and refused use and payment for use from a billionaire's foundation. Some money not acceptable. Some people don't bother with asking.

view photos

John Frattura says:

silversalty:

I'm at the point of making it private since its views are getting hijacked anyway.
It's too late for that. That image is all over several countrie's versions of Pinterest and Facebook, and a few other sites, including the one that shows in your linked image. Once that happens, it's like closing the barn door after the horse has bolted.

view photos

Walwyn says:

You can't stop it, all you can do is limit it. Upload limited size images, there is no reason to upload full res images to the internet.

view photos

Philip Watson says:

Walwyn:

Agree strongly. After too many thefts of my pictures, I now limit uploads to 500px shorter side. Now I get irate messages demanding to know why had I used such poor image quality, but those commenters get blocked.

view photos

Striderv says:

Pinterest is one of the sites that caused me to make my images friends and family only. I am not here to get likes or views but to share my images with family and friends and those with similar interests. I got tired of sending DMCA notices after the first couple of hundred or so. I have all my images all rights reserved and ask for permission but Pinterest and other social media site users think anything on Flickr is free to use without asking or looking at the rights on the photo. Flickr is losing advertising revenue from the non Pro users since they can no longer see my photos so less ads are seen. Not a sound business decision in my opinion.

I suggest since you have a Pro subscription that you take advantage of the perk Pro users have with Pixsy. I concentrate on the commercial violators and I have gotten enough money using Pixsy to pay for the Flickr Pro subscription many times over.

view photos

InnAtElmwood says:

Striderv:

I've had only limited success with Pixsy. Got paid for a couple pics that they worked on, and have had only a few Takedown Notices actually work. Most of the 'theft' come from sites where Pixsy has no jurisdiction.

view photos

justingreen19 says:

Go to the Pinterest website and file an online DMCA. it is a pain, but sadly it has to be done if we are to protect our intellectual property.

view photos

InnAtElmwood says:

justingreen19:

will I have to join and be a member of Pinterest to do this? thx

view photos

edlp2k says:

InnAtElmwood:

try this page
policy.pinterest.com/en/copyright

view photos

InnAtElmwood says:

edlp2k:

thx 👍🏿

view photos

silversalty says:

Thank you all for your input, feedback and concern. Years ago I had a very small income from capturing images but that hasn't been my concern for decades. It's simply annoying that people and businesses don't show the least respect. The current taker on google of the 'ice cream shop' pic has a link "[Photo]" to an internal URL of the image. Not even the full page which might get people to look around. The indexed image is a copy that stays there. Sleazy.

Thanks again for the shared concern.

view photos

bazzadarambler says:

I had not realized how ''popular' I am until I read this post. I put 'bazzadarambler' and 'pinterest' into Google and was amazed at how many of my 'c all rights reserved' images have been used. I also find that people actually make money, but with over 80 thousand images on Flickr I have never made a penny, and yet they appear on hundreds of sites, including local newspapers. Cheers B.

view photos

InnAtElmwood says:

bazzadarambler:

lots of mine out there, too, on Pinterest; some with an acknowledgement to me on Flickr, some, of course, without.

view photos

Danny / ixfd64 says:

Pinterest allows websites to opt out: help.pinterest.com/en/business/article/prevent-saves-to-p...

However, this requires editing editing the page's HTML source code. I don't think users have the ability to this. But maybe Flickr could use this to implement a "Prevent Pinterest from saving my photo" option.

This thread was closed automatically due to a lack of responses over the last month.

Subscribe to a feed of stuff on this page... Feed – Subscribe to help discussion threads