Help / The Help Forum

This thread was closed automatically due to a lack of responses over the last month.

Hot Topics

[Official Thread] Have an idea for Flickr? Share it here.
Latest: 9 hours ago
New Flickr Notifications Center and Settings available to all members.
Latest: 3 months ago
[Updated April 26, 2021] Flickr is moving payments to Stripe
Latest: 12 months ago
Welcome to the Flickr Help Forum! Click here to get started and to read our Forum Guidelines.
Latest: 18 months ago

Current Discussion

Editor
Latest: 14 seconds ago
Intermittent issue when loading picture and either Albums or Groups is not functioning
Latest: 48 minutes ago
Flickr pro pricing survey
Latest: 2 hours ago
Please, help! I'm not receiving any email notification about activity on my account.
Latest: 2 hours ago
[Acknowledged by Flickr Staff] Recent activity - Can we have it back? Please???
Latest: 3 hours ago
search.
Latest: 4 hours ago
Structural Underreporting in Bell Icon
[Duplicate] Pictures not showing up today?
notifactions going crazy
Latest: 10 hours ago
upload error
Latest: 11 hours ago
Cast your photos from Flickr APP on Android or iPhone to Chromecast/device
Latest: 11 hours ago
Sorting photos in albums - basic
Latest: 13 hours ago
More...

Search the Help Forum

Why Profile URL is Permanent? Can we at least Opt-Out for the UID or Random Numbers?

tosho.bg says:

I was looking at my profile URL and I wanted to change it. I've read in the forum that it is Permanent ? Why? I don't know a 'social' site that you can't change your Profile URL (some allow it in months).

I would rather change the profile URL to Random Number or the UID from the DB.
I don't understand what's the issue to allow changing Profile URLs (from back-end stand point)?
Posted at 6:14AM, 7 September 2021 PST ( permalink )

view photos

mag3737 says:

[https://www.flickr.com/photos/todor-velichkov/] tosho.bg:

I don't understand what's the issue to allow changing Profile URLs (from back-end stand point)?

Flickr has had over 17 years to tell curious people the answer to this question, and they haven't. Don't get your hopes up.
Posted 3 months ago. ( permalink )

view photos

Thomas Hawk says:

I was looking at my profile URL and I wanted to change it. I've read in the forum that it is Permanent ? Why? I don't know a 'social' site that you can't change your Profile URL (some allow it in months).

Just a guess but I suspect that it would break links elsewhere on the internet unless flickr forwarded every single URL.

For example every single of my 200,000+ photos starts with flickr.com/thomashawk

Assuming I now changed my URL to flickr.com/thomas1989895 any of those previous URLs anywhere else on the web would return a 404 error unless Flickr went through the process of forwarding each and every URL.

My guess is Flickr would rather not have a bunch of broken links all over the web which is why they warn you VERY CLEARLY when you make your URL how permanent it is.

view photos

Walwyn says:

Thomas Hawk:

That may have been the stance in thew old butterfield/yahoo days. But wirth smugsmug deleting stuff from none pro accounts, breaking links is no longer a concern.

view photos

Thomas Hawk says:

Walwyn:

Frankly I'd be surprised if much has been deleted from non-Pro accounts.

view photos

Oldt1mer - Keith says:

There is the other thing, of course.
If members were able to change their name at will, then rule breakers of all kinds (and there are many of them) would simply keep changing their names to avoid being banned or whatever.
No, choose your name carefully and keep it. Simple.

view photos

mag3737 says:

Anyway, you can always change your "display name" as often as you want.

Sincerely,
mag3737 - thanks for 37 bajillion views!

view photos

Viejito says:

Can we at least Opt-Out
No need to opt out: by default you have the @N0... URL. But once you opt in, you cannot change it. That is made clear when you do so, isn’t it?

view photos

tosho.bg says:

mag3737:

Flickr has had over 17 years to tell curious people the answer to this question, and they haven't. Don't get your hopes up.

Why? Don't developers have read the Forum ?

Thomas Hawk:
Just a guess but I suspect that it would break links elsewhere on the internet unless flickr forwarded every single URL.

I don't think that's an issue. Also you can change your links to the new URL. And maybe when sharing photos should be based on UID not 'username'. I would guess it has more with the API than the users links get broken but still doesn't make sense.

Oldt1mer - Keith:
If members were able to change their name at will, then rule breakers of all kinds (and there are many of them) would simply keep changing their names to avoid being banned or whatever.

That's not true! Doesn't matter how many times you change 'username' they always can see your UID from the back-end.

Viejito:
But once you opt in, you cannot change it. That is made clear when you do so, isn’t it?

So if you're in your twenties and you live in that one city/town, get married, buy a house - after some years you can't get divorced, sell the house and move out from that city/town?
Every single decision you're making every day is Permanent and Forever?

I was hoping to see an answer from someone from the development team with some technical explanation to that decision. Because for me it doesn't make sense when other social sites allow that - some have 1 month, 3 months, 6 months period for changing a username.

view photos

jschumacher says:

If you want an answer directly from Flickr staff you will need to contact them via help.flickr.com/contact.

view photos

tosho.bg says:

jschumacher:

Thanks. I just did.

view photos

mag3737 says:

I was hoping to see an answer from someone from the development team with some technical explanation to that decision.

The point of my earlier reply is that you are probably not going to get an answer. If Flickr wanted to tell us the reasoning behind this decision, they could and would have done so 17 years ago.

view photos

ernstkers says:

mag3737:

If Flickr wanted to tell us the reasoning behind this decision, they could and would have done so 17 years ago.

They did. For many years there was in the old Help section a paragraph with the text:

"We're sorry, but it is not possible to change the personalized web address of an account once it has been set. Flickr has a firm policy on this in order to maintain data, metadata, and link integrity."

With all the changes the old Help section disappeared, and with that this text. But I guess it's still valid.

view photos

Viejito says:

Every single decision you're making every day is Permanent and Forever?
No. Only the ones that are clearly marked as such.

view photos

mag3737 says:

ernstkers:

They did. For many years there was in the old Help section a paragraph with the text:

Thanks Ernst!

This thread was closed automatically due to a lack of responses over the last month.

Subscribe to a feed of stuff on this page... Feed – Subscribe to help discussion threads