Help / The Help Forum

This thread was closed automatically due to a lack of responses over the last month.

Hot Topics

[Official Thread] Have an idea for Flickr? Share it here.
Latest: 14 hours ago
New Flickr Notifications Center and Settings available to all members.
Latest: 5 weeks ago
[Updated April 26, 2021] Flickr is moving payments to Stripe
Latest: 11 months ago
Welcome to the Flickr Help Forum! Click here to get started and to read our Forum Guidelines.
Latest: 17 months ago

Current Discussion

Sudden drop in overall views.
Latest: 39 minutes ago
Why can't we put cover pics that in our groups?
Latest: 7 hours ago
Going to "end" in Faves
Latest: 9 hours ago
Cannot Download Photos from Web Browser on iPhone
Latest: 10 hours ago
The "Your Inbox Appears Empty" bug strikes again
Latest: 11 hours ago
why my safe photos are beeing restriced by the bot?
Latest: 11 hours ago
[Acknowledged by Flickr Staff] Notifications - not showing older than 2hrs
Latest: 14 hours ago
Feed page vs. People page
Latest: 17 hours ago
iOS Flickr App
Latest: 27 hours ago
[Identified] No pictures photostrip or else!
Latest: 2 days ago
[BUG] The "photos not in a set" filter isn't working in Organizr
photos being stolen?
More...

Search the Help Forum

Do we keep the RSS feed for activity/notifications?

Stig Nygaard says:

Just see the old Recent Activity page will close after the new Notification Center has been live for a while. Haven't spend much time looking at it, but sounds logical. But I suddenly got nervous that might mean we loose the RSS feed(*) for activity on our photos?

No new RSS feed for notifications/activity can be detected on the new Notifications page. That doesn't necessarily mean the old RSS feed closes. I hope NOT!?

If hopefully the RSS feed continues unchanged or a new feed has been created, I suggest it is made detectable on the Notifications page by clients looking for them, like feeds general are on Flickr pages.

(*) I use the term "RSS feed" in its general meaning. Flickr supports feeds in several formats including RSS and Atom.
Posted at 1:41PM, 16 September 2021 PDT ( permalink )
Stig Nygaard edited this topic 5 weeks ago.

view photos

Flickr Staff

kp-kp-kp says:

Thanks for bringing this up. The current RSS activity feed is not actively maintained, and looking through a few staff accounts, appears broken (for example, one staff member sees only notes from 2006.)

When the Recent Activity page goes away, the RSS feed will also be deprecated. However, I've flagged the idea of building a new RSS feed for the new notifications to our Product team. For anyone else who might find this useful, I'd encourage you to contact our support team to let us know, or drop a note in the ideas thread, so we can start tracking these requests.

Best,
Katherine
Posted 5 weeks ago. ( permalink )

view photos

Stig Nygaard says:

kp-kp-kp:

Thanks for bringing this up. The current RSS activity feed is not actively maintained, and looking through a few staff accounts, appears broken (for example, one staff member sees only notes from 2006.)

It works for me. I get all comments, faves, invites etc. in my feedreader. I haven't had any problems using it via Feedly. For example there's 24 "activities" in my feed over the last 7 days.

It does however require the feedreader is able to handle authentication somehow (*). It is a private feed only I can see, since it might also include notifications about personal messages etc. So those who complains it ain't working might be using a feedreader unable to handle this authentication?

(*) I'm not an expert on the technical details about this. But eventually you could go back to the older setup (which Flickr had in the beginning), where RSS feed for activity was a normal "public" feed only containing events otherwise public visible (faves, commenting etc.).
Stig Nygaard edited this topic 5 weeks ago.

view photos

mag3737 says:

I don't use RSS feeds, but it's worth noting that they are mentioned on what -- although the information is extremely old nowadays -- are still claimed to be Flickr's two main goals (www.flickr.com/about):

To do this, we want to get photos and video into and out of the system in as many ways as we can: from the web, from mobile devices, from the users' home computers and from whatever software they are using to manage their content. And we want to be able to push them out in as many ways as possible: on the Flickr website, in RSS feeds, by email, by posting to outside blogs or ways we haven't thought of yet. What else are we going to use those smart refrigerators for?

view photos

Viejito says:

mag3737:

What else are we going to use those smart refrigerators for?
Looks like this is something from a day when Flickr was more playful...

This thread was closed automatically due to a lack of responses over the last month.

Subscribe to a feed of stuff on this page... Feed – Subscribe to help discussion threads