Help / The Help Forum

This thread has been closed by Flickr Staff.

Hot Topics

[Official Thread] Have an idea for Flickr? Share it here.
Latest: 14 hours ago
New Flickr Notifications Center and Settings available to all members.
Latest: 5 weeks ago
[Updated April 26, 2021] Flickr is moving payments to Stripe
Latest: 11 months ago
Welcome to the Flickr Help Forum! Click here to get started and to read our Forum Guidelines.
Latest: 17 months ago

Current Discussion

Sudden drop in overall views.
Latest: 14 minutes ago
Why can't we put cover pics that in our groups?
Latest: 7 hours ago
Going to "end" in Faves
Latest: 9 hours ago
Cannot Download Photos from Web Browser on iPhone
Latest: 9 hours ago
The "Your Inbox Appears Empty" bug strikes again
Latest: 10 hours ago
why my safe photos are beeing restriced by the bot?
Latest: 11 hours ago
[Acknowledged by Flickr Staff] Notifications - not showing older than 2hrs
Latest: 13 hours ago
Feed page vs. People page
Latest: 16 hours ago
iOS Flickr App
Latest: 26 hours ago
[Identified] No pictures photostrip or else!
Latest: 2 days ago
[BUG] The "photos not in a set" filter isn't working in Organizr
photos being stolen?
More...

Search the Help Forum

Limitations of new Notifications page

my.travels says:

A user faved my 22 photos. However, Notifications can only show 12 of them. How am I going to find the other ten faved by the same user? Help me.
Posted at 11:01AM, 21 September 2021 PDT ( permalink )

view photos

Viejito says:

my.travels:

How am I going to find the other ten faved by the same user?
Just out of curiosity... what would be the advantage of knowing this?...

Big Huge Labs tried to do this this way: bighugelabs.com/favorites.php?user1=129345858@N02&use... but it tends to give a 504 gateway timeout...
Posted 5 weeks ago. ( permalink )

view photos

my.travels says:

Viejito:

Good to know which were faved. Thanks for providing the link but as you mentioned it gives gateway timeout.

view photos

mag3737 says:

You MIGHT be able to do it by going to that person's Faves page and looking for your photos. If they did the 22 "in a row", and if you can find the 12 that you know about, then the other 10 will be right there, too.

But you can probably forget about this idea with the people who fave 1000s of photos per day.

view photos

Flickr Staff

Melanie0426 says:

my.travels:

Thank for pointing this out!

We're currently in the process of revisiting this of how many of the photos (beyond 12) we would be able to surface in the notification itself.

Any updates that arise, we'll be sure to post here!
Posted 4 weeks ago. ( permalink )

view photos

conall.. says:

Melanie0426:

we'll be sure to post here

do you mean this stream? or a new dedicated stream on HF?

It would be good to have a dedicated stream for communication of updates on the new notifications. we def need some sort of a channel on this to follow.

Personally i dont really care that much about missing faves when someone faves loads of pictures but I do really care about comments. I think all photos that are commented on need to be visible on the new notifications - once the old RA disappears in December we need new notifications to work as an alternative to RA. Sometimes someone goes through a photostream and leaves multiple comments - presently these are all readily seen by the photographer using RA.

In the new notifications only the first one can be seen and read directly in the new notifications, the next 11 need to be accessed by going to the photo and going to the bottom of the comments (clumsy and we have indication that Flickr realise this and will fix) but any further comments beyond the first 12 are essentially unnotified/unfindable. This needs fixed before RA is turned off. I cant see that this has been taken onboard in the summary of feedback but I am sure most people would feel this sort of functionality would be expected.

view photos

Thomas Hawk says:

Melanie0426:

My own view is that Flickr should show all from the Notifications page and not limit it to 12. If that is not tenable, then at least a <+> icon button for more that would open up the additional photos.

view photos

Pink-Kat (Kate) says:

Notification

Takes far too long to load! What is it doing, loading 14 years of my notifications? And improvement, NOT!!!!!

view photos

InnAtElmwood says:

We all need to get used to how this new system works. It's people-centric whereas the Recent Activity system was photo-centric.
InnAtElmwood edited this topic 3 weeks ago.

view photos

Flickr Staff

katie_ko says:

Pink-Kat (Kate):

Just a reminder to keep threads on topic. This particular thread is regarding the number of notifications being surfaced-- conversations around loading time seem better suited for the thread you started:

Recent Activity & Notifications - Very slow loading!

Thanks!

view photos

Pink-Kat (Kate) says:

katie_ko:

Thanks, the header "Limitations of new Notifications page" seemed to fit. When it didn't, I can't delete the comment here once posted! Thus I started a new thread.

Since you are here, maybe you can answer if Notification is loading all my notifications since 2007 and that is why it is loading so slow every time I click it!! Plus I started to mute every notification prior to 2021 and found that this would take me weeks or months to do one at a time!! The "mute notification" does not work either!

view photos

Flickr Staff

katie_ko says:

Pink-Kat (Kate):

Sending over an email to see what I can do to help here!

view photos

Wil C. Fry says:

my.travels:

A user faved my 22 photos. However, Notifications can only show 12 of them. How am I going to find the other ten faved by the same user? Help me.

I ran into the same problem today. One friend commented on 16 of my photos, but the notification center only showed 12 of them.

(I first went to post in the official thread, but it was closed. Sad face.)

What's the point of saying "16", if I can't actually navigate to four of them?
Posted 3 weeks ago. ( permalink )

view photos

Rodolfo Quinio says:

If one person faved numerous photos at different times, don't repeat the previous faves when a new notification for new faves are posted. To top it all you add them in one notification & the timeline even for the old faves becomes the same as the new faves.
You cannot combine the notifications, this is confusing.

If one person faved 12+ of my photos, how in the world would I know what the photos were faved beyond the 12?

If numerous persons faved a single / same photo, you should have the notification for each person that they faved your photo. Not just Person A, Person B & others. We like to know the "others".

We're not in the computer the whole day & night. We take pictures & certainly work, eat, sleep and do stuff like the other normal people. With your new system we have to be on the computer 24/7. This is impossible.

Make Flickr user friendly not more difficult with so much limitations. I realise that you are cutting costs & reducing space to be profitable but if you make it difficult, users will leave. On the other hand, if you don't cut costs you have to increase the subscription rate. Again, some users will quit.

My suggestion is pro-rate the subscription rate based on memory space used by the user. Not this general one amount for unlimited memory. With this in mind, users will limit themselves to the amount they'd like to pay. People who posts tons of images have to pay more than those who posts much less.

view photos

~sin~star~ says:

InnAtElmwood:

I feel it should be photo centric....that's what Flickr is about! Recent Activity page did not leave out the photographers...there was nothing at all wrong with it. it was much easier to navigate and had no limitations as the new notifications page does.

view photos

DenaKel says:

When I click on "recent activity on my photos", it's all from weeks ago :( The bell shows recent comments but it groups them all together so I have to click on each photo, then back, then the bell again and then the photo. This is such a pain. How can I see all the comments in one place like before???? So frustrating. Why fix something that's not broke?????

view photos

grannie annie taggs says:

~sin~star~:

totally agree

view photos

Donkey Hot-tea says:

I totally agree with the PREVIOUS FIVE COMMENTS.

The New Notification is completely USER UNFRIENDLY. We just don't have enough hours in the day to keep going backwards and forwards from picture to picture to view any activity in full. And if there is considerable activity over a period of time on multiple photos, we have to click: 'load more' and then sit and wait while the system grinds slowly through the process to get a handful more. Then we have click 'load more' again, ad infinitum.

What Flickr doesn't seem to realise is that people do have lives outside the world of the internet, and the world of Flickr in particular.

At least I've managed to get my views in on this thread before Flickr staff shuts it down again which is what will no doubt happen within the next few hours.

view photos

keithhull says:

I have honestly tried to use the notification page It gives me nothing that the recent activity page gave me and is far less user friendly .
I would like someone to explain why the Recent activity page is been removed its functionality works perfectly

view photos

Clement Tang * says:

keithhull:

I would like to hear the million dollar answer too!!

view photos

jaykay72. says:

I wouldn't mind the New Notification system if it had the same or better functionality than the current and soon to be deceased Recent Activity, the New Notification system tells you when a comment has been made but you cannot read it, when someone comments on one of my photographs I don't just want to be informed a comment has been made, I want to be able to read it, something Recent Activity does perfectly well !

I have emailed the flickr team with this request and got a very nice stock reply but alas what everybody wants is RA to stay or at the very least the same functionality to be available in the New Notification system, this part of my email appears to have fallen on stony ground.

As many have said before if it isn't broken why pour so much time and resource into fixing it, with less functionality than the previous system ?

I always thought Flickr was member driven but that doesn't appear to be the case, I fully understand this will also fall on stony ground and this thread be closed down but at least I've made my point.
jaykay72. edited this topic 3 weeks ago.

view photos

mag3737 says:

Donkey Hot Tea:

this thread before Flickr staff shuts it down again which is what will no doubt happen within the next few hours.

Sure they will. Staff have stated several times that they are trying to steer the Help Forum back to being a place for user-to-user help about using Flickr. They are requesting that feedback about the Notifications Center be sent to them directly using the "Contact Us" page in the Help area. Go here for that: www.flickrhelp.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

view photos

jan buchholtz says:

my.travels:

In my Settings, I have directed Flickr to send me e-mail notifications of activity . I have set up a sub-folder in my inbox that is Flickr-only. So, i can see all of the activity chronologically, and, yes, I can see ALL the photos any one individual favorites ( useful for me to see if that individual likes only one type of photo or is more discerning about what they like or if they are more than merely a bot).

view photos

Thomas Hawk says:

jaykay72.:

the New Notification system tells you when a comment has been made but you cannot read it, when someone comments on one of my photographs I don't just want to be informed a comment has been made, I want to be able to read it,

You can read it by using the comment modal in the new notifications system. You just click on the hyperlink in the notification and a little box pops up.

Comment Modal in Notifications
click on the hyperlink "You Had me at Camaro"

and it opens up the comment modal here:

Comment Modal in Notifications

view photos

mag3737 says:

Am I a useful idiot (thanks, btw), or am I pragmatically recognizing the futility and nuisance of protracted, non-constructive insults and whining? Flickr staff have made their decision, and made quite clear their decision, and so I hope that everyone is taking whatever measures are necessary for themselves to learn how to live with Notifications and continue managing/enjoying their Flickr experience after the RA page goes away for good.

view photos

JamesWired says:

mag3737:

continue managing/enjoying their Flickr experience after the RA page goes away for good.

"continue managing/enjoying their Flickr experience after the RA page goes away for good." That's exactly the problem. Many of us don't believe that we will be able to do so.

view photos

jaykay72. says:

Thomas Hawk:

Thanks for that info Thomas, still not the same functionality as Recent Activity though, RA shows you the actual comment without having to click on a link to read it, and that's my point, I've no problem with changes and progress if it's improves functionality, unfortunately the New Notification system doesn't fall into that category, fair enough it does have good info for Group Admins and tells you if your pictures have been accepted or rejected when submitted to groups with a queue, but the basic requirement of reading the comments made isn't possible as it is in RA.

Many thanks for your info and reply, it seems that will be the only way to actually read the comments when this New Notification system is forced onto the members, and judging by the amount of times this discussion has taken place many would rather Recent Activity stayed.

view photos

jaykay72. says:

mag3737:

Good point, well made, however I was always under the impression, until now that is that flickr was member driven, now that has changed and we are being forced to accept changes to how the site works and its functionality that nobody has requested. I believe one of the few freedoms we have left is being able to express our opinion, which is what people are doing here, that is not whining or insulting, they just feel strongly about something they neither wanted or requested.

view photos

Mary Faith. says:

I didn't see anything wrong with how it was before.! Why try to fix something that was never broken? Flickr is continually doing this!

view photos

mag3737 says:

jaykay72.:

I was sympathetic up until you started talking about losing your freedoms.

There's good news with all the "bad". Your photos are still there. You can still share them with anybody who wants to see them. You can still participate in all 63 of the groups in which you're a member. Etc.

We have been around this block 37 times, every time Flickr moves our cheese.

view photos

Art digital by SØS says:

When I am trying to upload pictures to those groups where 6 uploads are allowed they do not work. The squares show up as a long stripe downwards, but you can not use them. How can this be fixed.

view photos

ernstkers says:

Art digital by SØS:

When I am trying to upload pictures to those groups where 6 uploads are allowed they do not work. The squares show up as a long stripe downwards, but you can not use them. How can this be fixed.

Your browser window is zoomed too far out. Press the ctrl and 0 (zero) buttons together (Windows) or cmd and 0 (Mac).

view photos

Art digital by SØS says:

ernstkers:

Many thanks. It works!

view photos

Mary Warren 17.6+ Million Views says:

New Notifications:
It loads too slowly.
The blue "Load More" button doesn't always show at the bottom so I can see more items, even when I click on "See All Notifications."
There is no way to set how many days of Notifications I can see in the thread.

view photos

jaykay72. says:

mag3737:

Everything you say is true, Your photos will still there. You can still share them with anybody who wants to see them. You can still participate in all 63 of the groups in which you're a member etc, etc.

If you are happy to let flickr steamroller new changes and reduce functionality then fine, but some of us like to make a point, something we are still entitled to do and judging by the posts in this thread before it gets burnt by flickr there are many who feel the same way over the demise of Recent Activity for no reason at all other than make flickr look more like a social media site than a Photography site for Photographers.

If you are happy to just roll over and let flickr change things whenever they see fit then fine, just understand we don't all share that view.

view photos

Pink-Kat (Kate) says:

Mary Warren 17.5+ Million Views:

Yep, slow, slow, slow! I think it's loading 14 years of of my notifications every time I click on this! I tried to delete one notification at a time beyond the one year mark and found that this may take weeks to do, so I stopped doing this after removing up to the 2nd year. Bad design work! :-((

www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157719907391063/

view photos

mag3737 says:

jaykay72.:

this thread before it gets burnt by flickr

Why don't you start a Flickr group to have continued discussions? I'm 100% serious. Flickr will never, ever intervene there.

view photos

An_Anteros says:

katie_ko:

On the topic:
In addition to the initial problem, there is a simial issue when someone invites your images to the group. One member invited the same image in more than one group (3 or 4), but it can be seen either in the new Notification Center or in the Notification bell dropdown menu.I can only see it over the "Recent activity" which you plan to terminate...

So, I hope you are aware of the problem...

P.S. Honestly, I am open to new design and improvements, but the Recent activity was just great and still, the new Notifications are not even close.

view photos

mdiepraam (50 mln views!) says:

Has the following issue been taken on board by staff?

Leaving out RA, there are three forms of notification right now: the dropdown list from the bell, the full Notifications Center, and the list in the mobile app. They should all show the same information but the trouble is, they don't.

The full NC comes out worst, not showing at least half of the notifications that do pop up in the app and the dropdown list - which for me, renders NC completely useless as it is now.

Also, the dropdown list shows less stuff than the app list, but not as much. And in a few occasions, the app list misses a few things that do show up in the dropdown list.

So none of the three is entirely accurate. How can this be? Are they using three different sources? If so, why?

I now find myself using the app list as a checklist while manually navigating to the corresponding pictures to create grouped comments, which you can only do on the desktop. This is as far away from a streamlined user experience as you can imagine.

I'm in my tenth anniversary as a Flickr user, and I have tons of pictures here, so that's a huge customer lock-in. This means that I won't go away anytime soon, but right now I'm very willing to show my dissatisfaction.
mdiepraam (50 mln views!) edited this topic 3 weeks ago.

view photos

Jelltex says:

It would appear that another new owner of Flickr is trying to destroy the communities. The new notifications don't work correctly, and are making the site pretty user-unfriendly.

Once again I ask Flickr/SmugMug for an opt out for members, we pay for the things after all.

But like Yahoo, changes will be imposed, more people will leave.

view photos

Flickr Staff

Melanie0426 says:

Since we have addressed the OP's feedback, we ask that if anyone has further feedback to contact us directly here:
www.flickrhelp.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

Thanks!

This thread has been closed by Flickr Staff.

Subscribe to a feed of stuff on this page... Feed – Subscribe to help discussion threads