Help / The Help Forum

Hot Topics

[Official Thread] Have an idea for Flickr? Share it here.
Latest: 14 hours ago
New Flickr Notifications Center and Settings available to all members.
Latest: 5 weeks ago
[Updated April 26, 2021] Flickr is moving payments to Stripe
Latest: 11 months ago
Welcome to the Flickr Help Forum! Click here to get started and to read our Forum Guidelines.
Latest: 17 months ago

Current Discussion

Sudden drop in overall views.
Latest: 2 minutes ago
Why can't we put cover pics that in our groups?
Latest: 7 hours ago
Going to "end" in Faves
Latest: 8 hours ago
Cannot Download Photos from Web Browser on iPhone
Latest: 9 hours ago
The "Your Inbox Appears Empty" bug strikes again
Latest: 10 hours ago
why my safe photos are beeing restriced by the bot?
Latest: 11 hours ago
[Acknowledged by Flickr Staff] Notifications - not showing older than 2hrs
Latest: 13 hours ago
Feed page vs. People page
Latest: 16 hours ago
iOS Flickr App
Latest: 26 hours ago
[Identified] No pictures photostrip or else!
Latest: 2 days ago
[BUG] The "photos not in a set" filter isn't working in Organizr
photos being stolen?
More...

Search the Help Forum

[Investigating]New geofence not applicable to existing pics – geofenced area still visible...

hn. says:

Hello, i created a geofence (make geo-data invisible) for a region which is already in my photo stream. The Flickr dialog says:

"This geofence will be applied to all future uploads. You can choose to apply these settings to existing geotagged photos in the next step."

So I now still want to apply the geofence to existing geotagged photos. I click "Next". But I only get a "Success" message and am back in general Privacy settings. I have no option to apply my geofence to existing photos.

So the geo-data for existing photos is still visible, unwantedly. I tried it on two browsers where I am not logged into Flickr (and no-one else either): The geo-data is still visible. If you like, you can try my photo – can you still see the geo-data here:
www.flickr.com/photos/neumeyer/49598859313/in/photostream
I applied a geofence there, but I guess you can still see the location, right?

In the general Privacy tab, I have also this setting:

"Who will be able to see your stuff on a map? - Default location privacy: Your friends and family."

I thought this would make ALL geo-data invisible except to friends/family/me. But it's still visible to me when not logged in.

So how can I protect existing geo-data against all viewers but a few – either ALL my geo-data (that'd be okay) or at least the geofenced regions? Thanks!

PS.
Aware that geo-data may be desirable for other users than me. Aware that some groups require geodata. Still want to hide it.
Posted at 11:19PM, 24 September 2021 PDT ( permalink | reply )
Melanie0426 (staff) edited this topic 3 weeks ago.

view photos

mag3737 says:

I don't really know anything about this topic, but I'll answer one question: Yes, I can see the geodata on that one photo you mentioned.
Posted 4 weeks ago. ( permalink | reply )

view photos

hn. says:

mag, thanks for your input. And the geodata should clearly be hidden.

view photos

Viejito says:

When you do not want a website to give certain info to others, it is safer not to give it to any websites in the first place.

view photos

hn. says:

Viejito, thanks a lot.

view photos

hn. says:

So is there no solution? I recap:

- Flickr offers geofencing for individual areas, but it doesn't work.
- Flickr offers "Privacy" for all geodata, but it doesn't work.
- Also I don't understand how to remove geodata for a single pic on the Flickr Map (if it's possible).

Is that desirable? And no answer from a knowledgable person?

Thanks!

PS.
I once knew how to remove geodata on a Flickr Map, but I don't find a way now. I only know how to *change* geodata, so that I move pics with sensitive geodata "into the big wide sea".

If Flickr doesn't want geodata to be hidden, please don't OFFER to hide it and then disappoint users by non-functional "features" (like geofencing and Geo-Privacy).

I would like to show my geodata to myself on the Flickr page. But not for all pics or regions, I would like to show my geodata to the world. If that wish can't be fulfilled, please tell me in no uncertain terms.
Posted 3 weeks ago. ( permalink | reply )

view photos

Flickr Staff

Melanie0426 says:

hn.:

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. I do see that the photo you provided is showing the location despite you having set the geo-data privacy setting to friends and family. I have let our engineers know and will follow up in this thread with any updates.

edited to include the word thread

view photos

hn. says:

Melanie, thanks. Hope to hear from you later.

view photos

hn. says:

PS I just figured out how to remove a photo from the Flickr Map and thus delete the geodata eternally (within Flickr). So that one complaint is no longer up (even though the way it works for me is complicated and confusing).

view photos

Viejito says:

hn.:

I just figured out
And you are not going to tell us?...

As far as I know, the only way to remove the geodata from a photo that came with geodata in the EXIF is to replace the originally uploaded photo with one that has no geodata.

view photos

hn. says:

Viejeto, i thought everybody knows this, only i didn*t know.

If you want to know how to completely remove geo-data from a Flickr photo, I can describe it on a Win computer in Firefox browser. I don't know how it works on a phone:

1. Open the photo page.
2. Hold the cursor right UNDER the little map (NOT within the map).
3. Upon mouse-over, a small gray "pen" symbol (meaning "edit") will appear to the right under the map. Click that "pen" symbol.
4. The Flickr map opens with a film strip at the bottom. (This film strip does not appear, if on the photo page you click straight into the map.)
5. The photo from your photo page is now already selected on the Flickr map. Drag the marked photo on the map down into the film strip. (This is weird, as the whole map moves down with the photo. One thinks one was moving the map instead of the photo. Still it works for me.)
6. Once the photo appears in the film strip at the bottom, you have already removed the geo-data. You don't have to confirm anything. Just click the "Back" arrow to go back to your photo page. The little map under the photo is empty now: you have removed the geo-data (or so I hope).

But now you have fully DELETED the geo-data from the Flickr photo. It's not ideal. I just want to HIDE geo-data from others with the functions "geo-privacy" and/or "geofencing". I still want to see the geo-data for myself and as discussed above, both functions don't work for me.

BTW, if you check geo-data etc. regularly, I find the add-on Flickr Fixr useful: on mouse-over, it shows more information about the date taken and under the little Flickr map on the photo page, it links to Google Maps which has much more information than the Flickr map. This Flickr Fixr does NOT influence my possibility to hide geo-data – I tried everything also without Flickr Fixr, but it's not better.

view photos

Viejito says:

hn.:

i thought everybody knows this
Sure, I knew that, but if the geodata were put into the EXIF (e.g. by your camera or phone) before upload, those with access to the originally uploaded version of your photo can still see the geodata upon download of the original photo.

Subscribe to a feed of stuff on this page... Feed – Subscribe to help discussion threads