Help / The Help Forum

Hot Topics

[Official Thread] Have an idea for Flickr? Share it here.
Latest: 14 hours ago
New Flickr Notifications Center and Settings available to all members.
Latest: 6 weeks ago
[Updated April 26, 2021] Flickr is moving payments to Stripe
Latest: 11 months ago
Welcome to the Flickr Help Forum! Click here to get started and to read our Forum Guidelines.
Latest: 17 months ago

Current Discussion

Why.
Latest: 2 minutes ago
blood donor table
Latest: 20 minutes ago
shagun sweets
Latest: 34 minutes ago
Albums not always showing in uploader
Latest: 2 hours ago
4K Apple TV - Flickr App not working
Latest: 4 hours ago
Group Cover Photo Can't Be Changed in Beta version
Recently uploaded albums only partially displayed
Gallery - What's this view of it ? (reply: Design before the 2018 Gallery page re-design.)
Unable to rest password
Latest: 11 hours ago
Search box top right anomaly
Latest: 12 hours ago
Does Anyone Know ?
Latest: 13 hours ago
Can't Comment?
Latest: 16 hours ago
More...

Search the Help Forum

[Acknowledged by Flickr Staff] Recent Activity & Notifications - Very slow loading!

Pink-Kat (Kate) says:

Is it just me or is anyone else experiencing very slow loading of:

Recent Activity
Activity on Photos
Replies to comments
Notification - loading notification from up to 14 years ago?

PS: Groups You Admin works fine and quick

On FF and Chrome. Other areas in both browsers work fine for me and are quick to respond! Just these area mentioned on Flickr - it says "load more - with blue & red balls just spinning away"

All will "eventually" load!
Posted at 6:17AM, 26 September 2021 PDT ( permalink | reply )
katie_ko (staff) edited this topic 5 weeks ago.

view photos

InnAtElmwood says:

slow for me, too; refresh works to clear up or reset. PC with Edge and Win10. Eastern Time, USA.
Posted 5 weeks ago. ( permalink | reply )

view photos

Pink-Kat (Kate) says:

InnAtElmwood:

Thank you! I think it is trying to load years and years of previous notifications. In my case, back to 2007? The "Mute Notifications" works once, but the next time I click on "Notification," all of it is back! To mute these older notifications back to 2007 one at a time would taken me weeks or months to do. Improvement? I don't think so!!!!!

view photos

Flickr Staff

katie_ko says:

Thanks for the reports!

We have an existing bug report filed with our engineers around some folks experiencing Notification latency.

We realize the impact this has in surfacing important notifications to your account & we'll report back in this thread with updates as they arise.

view photos

Pink-Kat (Kate) says:

katie_ko:Thank you. For now, I can getting by OK! - Kate

view photos

Pink-Kat (Kate) says:

Any movement towards the resolution of this?
Posted 4 weeks ago. ( permalink | reply )

view photos

G.R.S.Photos says:

I have received no email notifications in about about 10 days. For many years, there were never any issues. I am still using the outlook app on my MacBook. I haven't seen any in junk. I have informed Flickr support and all the website support information with no luck. Waiting hear back from them. Anyone have similar issues. Thanks George
Posted 4 weeks ago. ( permalink | reply )

view photos

An_Anteros says:

katie_ko:

Well, I think you have now bug reported, as there are many discussion threads about it ;)

So, notifications are very slow to open, as well as group "..." options - in Firefox it takes at least 20 - 25 seconds to load 4 items in a box. Now FYI, it is much quicker in Chrome, so I guess you need some optimisation.

Cheers
Posted 3 weeks ago. ( permalink | reply )

view photos

Flickr Staff

katie_ko says:

G.R.S.Photos:

This sounds like a different issue than what's being reported in this thread.

I see a member of our support staff has sent an email to the address liked to your account. I've resent the email so please check that inbox & we'll be happy to help see what we can do to help resume email notifications!
Posted 3 weeks ago. ( permalink | reply )

view photos

Pink-Kat (Kate) says:

OK Flickr, you've had 16 days to fix this!! Clicking on"Notifications" it takes almost 1 minute to load each time I get a notifications. As mentioned, it is loading notifications as far back as 2007 each time! Please fix, thank you!

Kate
Posted 2 weeks ago. ( permalink | reply )

view photos

Ger Bosma says:

katie_ko:

around some folks experiencing Notification latency.

Sorry to say so, but Flickr has never been this annoyingly slow since I started out in 2010.

Recent activity has not only been severly crippled since the 'new notifications' were announced. That has been going on for WEEKS now.

It used to load very fast in the past. These days it will take 8-30 seconds to load.
Going to the next pages is useless anyway these days, that functionality is now fubar (overlap, non-linear, non-sensical, partly missing )

It's planned to be scrapped, but all the issues many of us have asked for have NOT been implemented in the new version.

For me the new www.flickr.com/notifications page is still unusable (even if it weren't so slow to load)

Also the bell icon takes the same time to open.Spinning blue/pink balls for 10-20 seconds every time you click it. Unacceptable if you ask me.

Worse still: they do not provide enough relevant info.
I need to know for each image how many faves + views + comments it has at a glance and the latest activity, chronological and at least for the last 24 hours.

The new layout, despite staff promises
www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157719738061621/page10/...

still. lacks that vital info.

How else am I going to keep tracks of dozens/hundreds of images every day receiving faves and/or comments? I'd have to visit them all individually. What's the point in that?

The new notification page (& also the bell icon) in its current form are still fatally flawed.
I have not once consulted it and will use www.flickr.com/activity exclusively until the day you decide to scrap it.

view photos

WalrusTexas says:

Pink-Kat (Kate):

Yes, slow in Safari on iPad, and now weird also with all those obsolete notices.

I have been using the Bell, which is pretty good, and skipping Recent Activity, to eliminate my dependence on a feature that will disappear soon.

Continually delighted with Flickr’s low latency on most things. I grew up with next-day delivery after punch card input, and try not to take modern miracles for granted.

view photos

mag3737 says:

Ger Bosma:

I have not once consulted it and will use www.flickr.com/activity exclusively until the day you decide to scrap it.

(As you probably know) they have already decided the date. The date is in December. Why not start using it now so you can spread the learning curve over two months instead of being stuck in December with no options except a page you know nothing about?

view photos

Pink-Kat (Kate) says:

I cannot "mute" comments of people who are no longer on Flickr! And these keep loading when the "Notification Bell" is clicked. :-((
Posted 4 days ago. ( permalink | reply )

view photos

fogline says:

dreadfully slow...missing a lot of "messages"

view photos

janicelemon793 says:

Pink-Kat (Kate):

yes, extremely slow to load

view photos

Jackie & Dennis says:

Flickr is going very slow - UK - using Chrome.

view photos

Linda DV says:

So slow ....everything
Loading groups, messages ....
Chrome on PC, Samsung internet on Android tablet ....

view photos

♞Jenny♞ says:

putting duplicates of comments on one photo thread.

view photos

StarlightHope says:

EXTREMELY slow. Day after day after day...

view photos

Jeff Lack Wildlife&Nature says:

Slow an understatement, for weeks now and today comments not loading and freezing.....having to refresh page when this happens!

view photos

keithhull says:

All pages are loading very slowly navigation bars and film strip missing on contacts images

view photos

albyn.davis says:

♞Jenny♞:

Hope you get a response to this one.

view photos

Rich Levine says:

It is now 7:37 PM GMT

forget slow loading - now we get nothing but pandas

view photos

Creepella Gruesome says:

Groups slow loading as well. Almost impossible.

view photos

Futher above, when refreshing , just get We're having some trouble displaying this photo at the moment. Please try again. then Freezes!!
Just unusable again!

view photos

Comments not posting!!

view photos

Viejito says:

«We're having some trouble displaying these favorites at the moment.
Please try again.»

view photos

Esther Spektor - Thanks for 19+millions views.. says:

Nothing is loading, it is impossible to comment in groups, so we all can get bas on not commenting...!!!! What is going on - another so called site update..???
Posted 3 days ago. ( permalink | reply )
Esther Spektor - Thanks for 19+millions views.. edited this topic 3 days ago.

view photos

Jan 130 says:

Hopeless ... sorry all our group members, I can't even let your photos into our groups. This is awful service, Flickr. Not only the recent Notifications foisted on us, but now THIS. Nothing at all working.

view photos

G_E_R_D says:

Bad, bad panda!
Come on. We want photos.
We’re aware of the problem and are fixing it. Thanks for your patience.

And:
We're having some trouble displaying this group at the moment.
Please try again.

And:
Waiting for t.flickr.com

And:
Waiting for combo.staticflickr.com

view photos

conall.. says:

it is a bit extreme this evening. Seems intermittent to me which some how makes it more frustrating!

view photos

Amba-lee says:

very slow loading... some things time out, other's partially load then hang....sometimes Panda

view photos

bigboysdad says:

Groups....it's just not working. They don't load, they're not accessible. Been like this all day.

view photos

Flickr Staff

jess.n.d says:

Sorry for the trouble, everyone. Our engineers are working on a fix; you can follow our status page for updates on our progress.

view photos

Jackie & Dennis says:

Thanks for update.

view photos

Rodolfo Quinio says:

Already slow but since yesterday extremely slow. New notifications is inconvenient (old system with activity better) & now even notifications don't load. Once activity is scraped it will be a mess.
I recently received notice to renew for another year. I'm really discouraged to continue my subscription considering it hasn't been easy, just stressful
& aggravating. Used to be fun but now it seems Flickr in a lot of mess. I already have uploaded my files & ready to just let my subscription expire next month.
Can't even get my groups to download, only panda.

view photos

Paul B0udreau says:

Thank you for that! It is dreadful!

view photos

Flickr Staff

Melanie0426 says:

The site slowness has been resolved. We will be monitoring the thread for any new reports.

view photos

StarlightHope says:

Resolved?

NOT here (tho' the Status page is all green...)

view photos

Pink-Kat (Kate) says:

Melanie0426:

Thanks Melanie, the secondary issues noted above have been resolved, but the main issue for this ticket, has not.

I just had an indication that I had 1 notification to look at this morning and clicking on the "Notification Bell" took over 30 seconds to load to find out that no new notifications where there. The last one was 9 days old!

Plus, I cannot mute any notifications from people who have commented but are no longer here on Flickr. Nor can I mute any notifications of Flickr mail or testimonials.

So far, nothing has been done by Flickr on my original ticket submitted on Sept 26, 2021. :-((
Pink-Kat (Kate) edited this topic 3 days ago.

view photos

Ger Bosma says:

Melanie0426:

Nothing has changed.
Clicking the bell icon will still take at least 10 seconds to open, sometimes up to 25.

It's been this way for weeks, in fact since the 'improved notifcations' were announced.

A constant nuisance, Flickr has never been so slow for me (since 2010).

Subscribe to a feed of stuff on this page... Feed – Subscribe to help discussion threads