Help / The Help Forum

Hot Topics

[Official Thread] Have an idea for Flickr? Share it here.
Latest: 15 hours ago
New Flickr Notifications Center and Settings available to all members.
Latest: 4 months ago
[Updated April 26, 2021] Flickr is moving payments to Stripe
Latest: 14 months ago
Welcome to the Flickr Help Forum! Click here to get started and to read our Forum Guidelines.
Latest: 20 months ago

Current Discussion

spam
Latest: 2 minutes ago
Organize page down?
Latest: 3 hours ago
[Resolved] Unable to open Faves by others of my pics.
Latest: 8 hours ago
App Garden
Latest: 8 hours ago
[Acknowledged by Flickr Staff] Recent Activity & Notifications - Very slow loading!
Latest: 9 hours ago
My latest pictures aren't showing up in public search
Latest: 10 hours ago
Albums order
Latest: 13 hours ago
Email Notificatgions STOPPED
Latest: 13 hours ago
How Can I delete Old Photos So I can Add New Photos?
Latest: 15 hours ago
[Acknowledged by Flickr Staff] Extremely low views and faves
Latest: 16 hours ago
? instead of a picture in notification mail
Latest: 17 hours ago
Flickr Uploader macOS Montery Not Uploading from Photos Library
Latest: 21 hours ago
More...

Search the Help Forum

[Acknowledged by Flickr Staff] Recent Activity & Notifications - Very slow loading!

Pink-Kat (Kate) says:

Is it just me or is anyone else experiencing very slow loading of:

Recent Activity
Activity on Photos
Replies to comments
Notification - loading notification from up to 14 years ago?

PS: Groups You Admin works fine and quick

On FF and Chrome. Other areas in both browsers work fine for me and are quick to respond! Just these area mentioned on Flickr - it says "load more - with blue & red balls just spinning away"

All will "eventually" load!

01/14 - Flickr Staff Response
Posted at 6:17AM, 26 September 2021 PST ( permalink )
R L Catlow (staff) edited this topic 2 weeks ago.

(101 to 200 of 279 replies in [Acknowledged by Flickr Staff] Recent Activity & Notifications - Very slow loading!)
view photos

Clement Tang * says:

My suggestion to speed things up:-

If we can set filters to limit date and time of notifications, like the existing Recent Activity, eg 1 day, 7 days, 1 month or from the beginning.

This can be done in Account Settings : attention Flickr programmers.

This should benefit every one.
Posted 2 months ago. ( permalink )

view photos

triciabeardow says:

I'm getting notifications which quickly disappear, so some comments and faves are not added to my photos.

view photos

ronnie.savoie says:

Flickr is completely unusable in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, US

view photos

StarlightHope says:

Completely dead at the moment. Doesn't load at all.

Flickr Status page is all green, but no notifications at all are showing.

view photos

davegolden says:

Very slow to unresponsive. Why is this still a problem?

view photos

Pink-Kat (Kate) says:

Heehee, today is exactly 2 months since I submitted this ticket back on Sept 26. Flickr really has done nothing to fix this bug nor informed us when or if these problems would be fixed? They keep mentioning that a "bug report was file with our engineers"

This is getting way too funny as I can only imagine that Flickr has but one engineer that works one day a month - toot-toot! LOL!

Never mind, Flickr, please close this thread, as I'm taking back my ticket! Thank you and my very best regards to all of you, Kate
Pink-Kat (Kate) edited this topic 2 months ago.

view photos

Ger Bosma says:

Pink-Kat (Kate):

I'm taking back my ticket!

It's indeed symptomatic that staff seems unable to come up with any meaningful response, let alone a real solution for this pervasive flickr-wide problem affecting nearly anyone using Flickr regularly.

This is IMNSHO the fundamental flaw of Flickr: an inability to take their most loyal users and paying customers seriously and offer a product worth paying for.

#cheer up!

view photos

StarlightHope says:

Still NO notifications at all 😠

view photos

Red Kite2008 says:

When clicking on the bell icon to see notifications I am finding it still painfully slow to load. Please can this be resolved, it's been slow for a long time now.

view photos

Pink-Kat (Kate) says:

Red Kite2008:Yes, I resolved this! I muted every notification manually from 2007 to 2021 (1000's). It took me about 2-3 weeks off and on to do this. I have only 2 pages of notifications left that I cannot mute, and the "Notification Bell" is now loading within 5 seconds. I don't recommend you waste your time to do this, as I did it to prove a point that the "Bell" is loading far more than just a page or two and that's why I believe its been so slow to load!

BTW, Flickr has done nothing, nada, zero, nil, to fix this. - Kate

view photos

LeapFrog (Art) says:

The Notification Bell is unusably slow ... it took 80 seconds to load this morning. Plus when loaded, I am not too sure if this feature is useful for me?? I see from these comments ... this issue is from late Sept and it has not been fixed ?? Very sad reflection on the Flickr technical folks!!

view photos

edlp2k says:

Just guessing here but- Possibly what you're seeing (or not seeing) right now is a result of web server issues at Amazon Web Services, which I think is Flickr's provider since Flickr left Yahoo's servers.

There are news reports of many affected websites. Down Detector has 10,000+ reports of problems on AWS this morning. Amazon is working on a fix.

Slowness may also be a function of Amazon rerouting traffic from its East US severs to its West - US servers.

Not the original problem, just possibly the issue this morning.

view photos

jessamyn says:

I keep getting the notification here

www.flickr.com/activity

"The Recent Activity page is going away! Check out the new and improved Notifications Center." which, hey I appreciate that staff is fixing up legacy and crufty stuff but the bell-notifications (as opposed to the URL above) takes over a minute to load which is just not really an acceptable 2021 amount of time. So, appreciate this place in general but even at a $5/month level user, this should probably be working better for me and everyone. Thank you.

view photos

Bogger4. says:

jessamyn:

I agree totally with what you say, I’ve tried the improved Notification Center
and I find it difficult to understand how anyone can think that it’s an improvement to the R/A system ? one click with the R/A system and you have got the information that not only me but what I can read on the help forum most members want.

Could I ask all staff who have got photos on Flickr to at least try the new Notification Center for a week.? to experience what members are telling you.

view photos

Bruno Bozon Photographies says:

Hi,
found this thread while making a search for "contact notifications" since it appears that with the new horrific notification center, the page "https://www.flickr.com/mail/contact_notifications/" is gone too, without any warning.
the activity page was my entry point on flickr, and I must confirm what other say here: the notification menu is effin slow, it took several seconds (almost 10!) to popup, it's just useless (and no, it's not related to aws, it's just a crappy feature with a bad design).
The notification center regroup notifications so if someone make comments on 3 photos, you have to go on each page to see the comments, whereas on the activity page you could read them.
I paid my yearly subscription a week ago but I think it will be my last one, I'm not willing to pay anymore for such a lack of consideration for the community

view photos

Clement Tang * says:

Bruno Bozon Photographies:

RA is my entry point to Flickr. Sadly it will be gone in a few days. I will certainly have to slow down my activities in Flickr. It will be like groping in the dark.

view photos

Flickr Staff

kp-kp-kp says:

Bruno Bozon Photographies:

We removed the Contact Notifications tab from FlickrMail. This will improve loading of FlickrMail. You can still receive these notifications under the bell icon and via email, if you have that turned on in your Notification Settings at www.flickr.com/account/email.

We're aiming to keep members up to date about changes every month with Release Notes on our blog. This was included in November's: blog.flickr.net/en/2021/12/09/flickr-release-notes-novemb...

view photos

the foreign photographer - ฝรั่งถ่ says:

I am wondering what I will be able to do when Email Notifications goes down as it does periodically and I can only find a fraction of the activity I had while it was down on the New Notifications.

view photos

janetfo747 ~ choose to be kind says:

So slow - but i did come up. The information that I see is all about other folks.

some examples of what I see

.Site will not allow me to post a fifth comment..
. 9 others replied to Special Gallery: up to Level 2 with 100+ faves..
. 8 others replied to La Galerie du "GRAAL" - 5 Awards -.

I feel that none of what am seeing is relevant.

How are you expecting this information to be interesting to the members?

best regards Jano

view photos

Bruno Bozon Photographies says:

kp-kp-kp:

Thank you for taking time to answer. I'd like to stress out the fact that the links provided on the RA page were not linking to the blog (and since I never heard about it I think a lot of users are in the same situation). It was linked to a thread on the forum (closed now) and now it links a help page that do not mention this.

For the Contact Notifications, I used to check them every now and then, when I have time, to see who is following me. last time I checked, I was at page 126. it means I had 126*20= 2520 followers that I can't check, because the new notification center is not based on a page by page navigation, but based on an "load more" button. Any one with common sense understand the problem here, I would have to click 126 time on the button to load a very heavy page, instead on just writing 126 in the url.

As far as I appreciate the efforts you put in making Flickr a living site with more modern design, I think going against the community feelings (at least the one that express itself) is not a very good move.

Best regards

view photos

Pink-Kat (Kate) says:

One improvement in the "Notification Bell"

All Flickr members who are no longer here are gone, I no longer have to "try" to mute these. There were over100 on mine

Still unable to mute:

1. Flickr mail from others
2. Testimonials
3. Group notifications to me for whatever reason

Since I manually muted most of my notifications back to 2007, I've only 2 pages to load, and it loads in about 5 seconds. If you allow me to mute points 1 -3 as stated above, this should bring me to only one page for the "Notification Bell" to load! - Kate
Posted 6 weeks ago. ( permalink )

view photos

The lens profile says:

Very slow and when a tab has been open for some time they will not load at all unless I refresh the page. Also The android app almost never notifies me of anything.

view photos

StarlightHope says:

Notification is not slow - it's dead as a doornail (for me). No matter how long it loads, or how many times I try. And and it's December 13th...

view photos

Loverdag - unedited - says:

Flickr Staff
katie_ko says:
"We’ve received similar reports from a small number of members and want to assure you that improving performance across notifications is an ongoing priority."
Quoted from locked thread: www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157720237166808/#reply7...

From point of view of paying customer Im not really sure if I am supposed to care if other users (or how many of them) do have same issues ongoing as my account does have.

I have ticked opened since October 21st about my Notification issues, its almost two months and still not fixed. Last email I sent you in this regard with more informations I gathered about that issue I sent at Oct. 26th - until now I didnt receive any answer. How is that your priority then?

RA was removed before the Notification issues you acknowledged almost 2 months ago was fixed.
Do you offer some discount for PRO then, to compensate this?
I would not ask if RA would be still alive, but you removed it and leave me (and others) with dysfunctional feature only. (Plus other long-term ongoing issues pilling up).

How my Notificartion works today I posted here in the locked thread, the screenshot was taken today. Situation is exactly same as it was in October:
www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157720237166808/#reply7...
On the top of that, its very slow loading for me too.

So to ask for compensation does not feel out of place.

view photos

mcnod says:

Loverdag:

So to ask for compensation does not feel out of place.

You (and every member) has agreed to this Term of Service:

12. DISCLAIMER OF WARRANTIES

THE SITE, SERVICES, THE FLICKR MATERIALS, AND THE PRODUCTS ARE PROVIDED ON AN “AS IS” AND “AS AVAILABLE” BASIS WITHOUT WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED.

www.flickr.com/help/terms

view photos

mcnod:

I'm well aware.

But thats not how you treat your long-term paying customers if you want to keep them.

Answer like yours says "We dont care" and should work as red flag for every potential new customer who may be debating to join Flickr. For the sake of Flickr future lets hope staff see it differently than you do.

view photos

Donkey Hot-tea says:

mcnod:

"12. DISCLAIMER OF WARRANTIES"

Most companies often include such disclaimers in their T&Cs, usually to cover themselves against unforeseen or unavoidable problems which are totally beyond their control.

What Flickr have done is well within their control and is nothing less than deliberate vandalism.

Edited to add missing quotation marks.

view photos

mcnod says:

Loverdag:

Answer like yours says "We dont care" and should work as red flag for every potential new customer who may be debating to join Flickr. For the sake of Flickr future lets hope staff see it differently than you do.

Ok, I'll bite. Forgetting for a moment that TOS rules out any such refund, and considering all the thing that you get for twenty-some pennies a day, including costly storage (and all of the available features and benefits that you choose not to use), how much refund are you asking?

view photos

mcnod:

Ok, I'll bite. Forgetting for a moment that TOS rules out any such refund, and considering all the thing that you get for twenty-some pennies a day, including costly storage (and all of the available features and benefits that you choose not to use), how much refund are you asking?

I am open to have this conversation with Flickr staff.

view photos

mcnod says:

Loverdag:

I am open to have this conversation with Flickr staff.

They are not going to discuss this with you in the public forum, so:
www.flickrhelp.com/hc/en-us/requests/new
Good luck!!

view photos

mcnod:

I didnt expect them to. It was polite way how to tell you we dont have this conversation.

view photos

G_E_R_D says:

This new notifications system loads so slowly that Flickr is no longer fun.
Sometimes after clicking the bell, the entire display stays white for minutes, not a single notification is shown then.

Dell Laptop, Win 10, Chrome, Edge, Opera,
no Ad Blocker, 1000 MBit/s Internet Connection.

view photos

jrussell.1916 says:

Cannot see Recent Activity in drop downs at all. Was fine earlier.

view photos

albyn.davis says:

G_E_R_D:

Mine stays white for 5 seconds.

view photos

jschumacher says:

jrussell.1916:

Recent Activity has been removed. Its replacement is the Notification bell at the top right of the page.

view photos

Flickr Staff

katie_ko says:

This is just a note to let folks know we deleted a handful of posts in this thread for being off topic.

This particular thread is dedicated to discussion & reports around notifications being slow to load.

While we want folks to feel welcome to discuss usability and get help navigating the new notification experience, we expect the feedback to be constructive & respectful while adhering to the forum guidelines.

If you’re looking to offer more generalized feedback, we ask that you share specifics with us directly so we’re able to either offer an existing solution or pass along to the product team for future consideration.

view photos

Donkey Hot-tea says:

katie_ko:

"This particular thread is dedicated to discussion & reports around notifications being slow to load."

Okay. Fair enough. Well, Notifications is slow to load. ALWAYS!

"we want folks to feel welcome to discuss usability and get help navigating the new notification experience,"

Well, it isn't usable because - It's slow to load. ALWAYS!

And as to "navigating the new notification experience" - it's a nightmare because:

It's slow to load and difficult to navigate, ALWAYS!

Not helped by the fact that we have to keep going back and forth, back and forth each time we try to glean the merest modicum of information. And then there's all the duplication which, in itself is - Slow to load. ALWAYS!

view photos

I can only confirm its always slow.

Same as I reported it back in October, as I mentioned above. No improvements and fixes on that since then.

view photos

ajhaysom says:

It is a real disgrace that the Recent Activity page has been removed with the new Notifications feature working so, so poorly.

More often than not the Notifications drop-down does not load at all for me (I normally give up after 30 seconds to a minute or so), and the actual Notifications page is very, very slow.

Also, the Bell keeps re-notifying me of things I have already seen in the Notifications window.

Very, very poor implementation, and shocking decision to remove a working feature that members liked and replace it with something that just does not work.

view photos

Sam' place says:

I'm not the guy who are complaining, at least since 2006, but the new Notification page is unusable to track our notifications (favs, comments) on our pictures to be able to block thenths of fake accounts per week. Need a lot more click to do this simple cleaning everyday task.

Please hear us and bring us quick and usuable Notifications board !

view photos

mimbrava says:

ajhaysom:

I agree with everything you just said.

view photos

Jeff Sailsbury says:

They have really screwed up the comments facility. Notifications are not complete and are very slow. Every time they change anything, it's worse.

view photos

hn. says:

Jeff Sailsbury:

Every time they change anything, it's worse.

+1

view photos

hn. says:

Sam' place:

the new Notification page is unusable to track our notifications (favs, comments) on our pictures to be able to block thenths of fake accounts per week. Need a lot more click to do this simple cleaning everyday task.

+1

view photos

PsP.gallery says:

Pink-Kat (Kate):

the new notification is way too slow. It is unusable

view photos

jaykay72. says:

The speed and information contained in the New Notification Centre is absolutely disgraceful, it is practically unworkable as a way to keep track of the comments and fav's on your photographs it takes an absolute interminable amount of time to load, comments are not readable if a person comments on more than one photograph, responses to comments I make on other people's photographs are duplicated, and all this lack of functionality takes an unacceptable amount of time to load. A complete shambles.

view photos

phil anker says:

The issues that the majority are complaining about were first raised by Flickr users 4 months ago in the first and locked thread about this.

Many people have given Flickr the benefit of the doubt about their assurances to sort the failings of Notifications compared to RA. I for one was hoping that with all of the feedback in that 4 months that when RA was eventually turned off Notifications would be capable of replicating RA.
Some minor tinkering has taken place with Notifications but nowhere near enough to justify Notifications replacing RA.

view photos

helenoftheways says:

I haven't got a recent activity - or whatever it's called now - button anywhere!

view photos

Viejito says:

helenoftheways:

It is the bell next to your buddy icon at the top of the page.

view photos

Pink-Kat (Kate) says:

PsP.gallery:Agreed! I did a LOT of work to make the Notification Bell faster, but I don't recommend that you do this or anyone else! I manually muted 1000's and 1000's of old notifications dating back to 2007, and that took me weeks, off and on!. I have only 2 pages loading now. The rest of the people here when they click on the Bell, it loads years and years of old notifications since they joined Flickr, in my case 14 years of old notifications! - Kate

view photos

albyn.davis says:

I expressed my limited concerns about the new Notifications by filling out the form in the Help Center.
Received relatively swift and reasonable replies.

view photos

RonnieLMills 9 Million Views. Thank You All :) says:

Just to get it off my chest... "I HATE THE NEW NOTIFICATIONS"

Trying to get used to it although, why are the actions only selectable individually rather than a tick box? I can have Comments or Favs but not both at the same time??

view photos

keithhull says:

A simple question to flickr Why is the notification page so slow to load and what are you doing to deal with this

view photos

jonathan charles photo says:

There's a real problem with the "notifications" function which I have already reported when in the beta phase: after looking at the first page (which typically covers only the last 6 hours or so) if you click [more] the next page has left a GAP of 6-10 hours so we have MISSED a whole chunk of notifications.

I'm amazed that Flickr has mangled and now abandoned the very useful "Recent activity" function, which most members used as their "landing" page, when the replacement "notifications" function is STILL not working.

You don't seem to be listening to people...

view photos

antonychammond says:

Oh dear Flickr team are you listening? Or will you continue to ignore members' comments about the unworkability of the new notifications centre and their very reasonable requests to reinstate the excellent Recent Activity pages which provided excellent feedback and did not need replacing in the first place? Despite this debacle I wish you a very Happy covid-free Christmas!

view photos

~Muriel~ 'NO Fav without Comment' says:

antonychammond:

Well said!!
Posted 5 weeks ago. ( permalink )

view photos

conall.. says:

to be honest I am missing the old RA but trying hard to be positive and working get used to new notifications and to put up with the downsides.

The slowness of it loading is frustrating and I think makes it harder to be positive about the overall functionality on new notifications.

At times it loads in 5 seconds, other times >20 seconds. Just when you think there is possible improvement, it gets slower again.

It would be good to get something from staff about any expected time frame for loading speed to get better and more consistent. Do they expect, now that RA is gone that this enables an improvement in speed of new notifications?

view photos

stephencurtin says:

Not loading. Just a blank rectangle.

view photos

Denish C says:

Recent Activity used to give me useful information in one place whose content I could control. The new system has taken those benefits away and given me a seeming random collection of bits and pieces of information spread over several pages. What is the point of that?

view photos

Pink-Kat (Kate) says:

Gee Flickr, now the "Mute Notification" is missing. I cannot mute anything that comes into my "Notification Bell!" What gives? - Kate
Pink-Kat (Kate) edited this topic 5 weeks ago.

view photos

conall.. says:

for me this evening new notifications is loading consistently <5 seconds and consistently giving me a good list going back into yesterday (it had previously often only been giving a few items going back a couple of hours)

If it would stay like this then I would find it easier to be positive and adapt to the new system and work with it. Not sure if this is just a Sunday traffic type phenomenon or actual system improvement. For short periods it has been fast before but then reverted to being >20 seconds which really makes it hard to use in a calm and pleasant way!

What would be really good would be a statement from staff about whether they expect that fast (few seconds) loading will become the norm ....and if so what the likely time frame for this will be.

view photos

StarlightHope says:

It's still stone dead for me.
It worked for 20 minutes three or four days ago, but after that are the only things I see a white page, pink and blue spinning dots or a small, blue rectangular box with the text "Load more".
StarlightHope edited this topic 5 weeks ago.

view photos

pongo 2007 says:

♞Jenny♞:

Agree. I’ve been on flickr since 2005 and for the life of me cannot fathom why they would have done away with the very reliable and user friendly RA of the not too distant past. Admin, please bring it back

Me too, I've been on Flickr since 2007, the recent activity page was my landing page, and where I used to get all the necessary info. This bell feature (the same as the Facebook and Instagram bell) is useless and very time consuming. Who has time to wait for it to load and then click on each notification to see who commented or faved.. mostly it says "xx" and 5 other people commented. Not very useful at all.

view photos

stephencurtin says:

None of the activity in the last 6 hours shows up unless I go to view all notifications. The numbers near the bell also do not reflect new activity.

view photos

Oliver Schöpgens says:

♞Jenny♞:

Yes, I agree! Please bring the old and well and fast working recent activity back!

view photos

Flickr Staff

Melanie0426 says:

We have deleted several comments in this thread for being off topic. This is a reminder to keep feedback constructive and on topic.

If you would like to provide specific feedback on ways we can make improvements or have an issue to report, please contact us directly here:

view photos

eagle1effi says:

Oliver Schöpgens:

YES PLEASE.
THE NEW DOES NOT HELP ANYTHING FOR ME.
SLOW AND NOT HELPFUL FOR ADMINS.

SORRY TO SAY

EFFI

view photos

overthemoon says:

Removing the Recent Activity (on my photos) is the worst decision ever made by flickr. The new feature is only usable if you right-click and open everything in a new window; it is very time-consuming and not user-friendly..
overthemoon edited this topic 5 weeks ago.

view photos

Orbmiser says:

Recent Activity on My photo's was what I always thought it was about my photo's. Now seems more about a Social users feed. Then about my actual image activity.

As now tiny images group together by one user. With big section taken by the one users name. Seems more like it's about him then my images.

Can't we have a option to change it? As now much slower to load page. Use to be 2-3 seconds now takes 5-7seconds. Use to be able to chronologically see history of any of my images. Now it's about the chronological history of user not my images.

view photos

joeke pieters says:

Orbmiser:

5-7 seconds? Most of the time more than 20 seconds and then you also lose a lot of time to find out the information you used to see at a glance in Recent Activity!
joeke pieters edited this topic 5 weeks ago.

view photos

bztraining says:

I'm trying to appreciate it - I really am. But the slowness has me clicking away before it's even loaded :(

And the fact it's not my images on the left is just wrong. As self-centered as it sounds, this is supposed to be about ME (or my images) and you have the focus on everyone but me. :(

view photos

Orbmiser says:

joeke pieters:

then you also lose a lot of time to find out the information you used to see at a glance in Recent Activity!

Totally agree! Just feels wrong like bztraining: mentions me and my images seem to be playing second fiddle to some kind of cell phone social media of users kind of vibe.

No longer can tell what each image totals for views,favorites and comments without additional work and waste of my time going to each image one at a time.

view photos

Enjoy Every Sandwich says:

I find the entire site is running very slowly.

view photos

ER's Eyes - Our planet is beautiful. says:

The company lacks transparency to say what has been going on for three months.
Paid customers and customers receiving advertising, that is, the most important ones, complain about poor service.

The site has had this problem for a while and you don't listen to us or tell us what the problem is. It's complicated for us.
Christmas week and right after New Year's parties and we don't have an adequate and reliable service.

view photos

DL_Dietz says:

Enjoy Every Sandwich:

I was going through the photos of people I follow and Explore and at times I couldn't even leave comments because it just spun and never saved.

Then when I was replying to comments for my photos I had to comment, hit save then refresh my browser screen because it just stuck. I had to do this for nearly every comment I replied to.

view photos

PaulO Classic. © says:

OK - the system appears to have crashed. I have been waiting since 4:10 pm and it's now 4:29. and it still hasn't loaded.

I was actually enjoying the new bits until today.

Looks like complaining won't help, but I had to get that little nugget off my chest.

view photos

keithhull says:

The service altogether is poor the notifications page will not open at all its completely useless

view photos

Rico Zero says:

Nothing works for me. I can only open my own photostream.

view photos

triciabeardow says:

Notifications not working at all for me, just spinning balls!

view photos

bulldog1 says:

Notifications not working and also accessing groups
Wonder what is going on and if it is being checked out
Thank you

view photos

Rodolfo Quinio says:

Notifications not working for me too.

view photos

jenniferbeinhacker.com says:

everything very slow to load (if it loads at all).....groups, notifications, etc.

opera
east coast usa

view photos

picqero says:

Nice to know it's not just me experiencing this problem - thought it was my computer.

view photos

Flickr Staff

R L Catlow says:

We have deleted several comments in this thread for being off topic. This is a polite reminder to keep feedback constructive and on topic.

As a reminder, the Flickr Help Forum is a member-to-member space to ask questions about using Flickr. As mentioned in our closing post in the Official thread, we ask that more general feedback about the Notifications Center be relayed directly to our Support Heroes here, so we can pass it along to the appropriate team.

It looks like the latest reports of slow-performing Notifications were related to the AWS outage, which has since been resolved.

We will continue to monitor reports around Notifications being slow to load.

Thanks

view photos

jaykay72. says:

R L Catlow:

I have tried really hard to use the New Notification Centre, I really have, but the slowness of load and general lack of functionality makes it not fit for pupose.

I have used the "Official Thread" to report the lack of functionality over the discontinued Recent Activity and the slow loading, all with an initial response but precious little follow up or action so please understand the frustration of the members, paying and otherwise when using the route you suggest has little or no impact. What we would like from flickr is a bit less monitoring and a bit more action, and to actually listen to the members, not dictate to them.

view photos

bztraining says:

R L Catlow:

I think it would help (at least me) if I understand the problem Flickr was trying to solve with the resign and the use case(s) the new design was made for. With 30 years in UI design/implementation I totally understand conflicting requirements, between users and management and costs and technology - etc.

But to remove something so core to Flickr, that managed to be both simple AND functional AND (judging from the comments) met a lot of needs - Flickr must have reasons.

If I understood where Flickr was coming from, I might have a better appreciation of it - or at least of the design that resulted given the requirements.

And yes, I've reported my thoughts to the appropriate channels, but I get back basically "this is what users wanted and I'm sorry your not happy with it".

But it seems odd I've yet to read from ANYONE who likes it. :(

view photos

Orbmiser says:

bztraining:

If I understood where Flickr was coming from, I might have a better appreciation of it - or at least of the design that resulted given the requirements.

Well said and also scratching my head to try and understand. But just like yahoo back in 2015 with their redesign they also refused to explain the reasoning for changing UI. Directing us to specific threads of one person one way chiming in and no reciprocal reasoning's and explanations. Lacking transparency in explaining to users the reason's why the changes.

13yrs of my being a customer of Flickr and think 2022 is my last year. And expecting them to remove yours and my comments soon.
Orbmiser edited this topic 5 weeks ago.

view photos

Яick Harris says:

bztraining:

I think it would help (at least me) if I understand the problem Flickr was trying to solve with the resign and the use case(s) the new design was made for.

What other company lets you see their intellectual property? Does facebook give everyone a peak at their plans? Does Microsoft, Google? The level of entitlement on flickr is amazing. Flickr is a private company, there is no reason for them to give out use cases, or any design artifacts.

view photos

bztraining says:

Яick Harris:

(deleted my rambling)

Never mind - the admins are just going to say this is off topic. I was simply asking for who the target user is. Hardly a company secret.
bztraining edited this topic 5 weeks ago.

view photos

♞Jenny♞ says:

Admin, please just bring back the previous RECENT ACTIVITIES page/link

view photos

hn. says:

♞Jenny♞:

+1

view photos

Rodolfo Quinio says:

Maybe I'm wrong but seems like there is a new group of IT personnel that have no idea of how to make Flickr effectively operational. They have no idea at all why most of us prefer 'Recent Activity'. Maybe, the 'new' Notifications will save them also some operational costs.
Who knows what is really going on. Flickr had problems before but never this bad.
If this continues the way it is, many will start quitting Flickr. I suppose many of us paying our membership won't put up with this mess. Why pay to be miserable.

view photos

Images George Rex says:

deleted, with intention not to renew membership
Images George Rex edited this topic 5 weeks ago.

view photos

stephencurtin says:

Again, empty white box. Nothing loaded, waited five minutes and then closed.

view photos

stephencurtin says:

Яick Harris When Flickr started it was a very basic framework. It had a great underlying code that allowed members to create code and scripts (for example: www.flickr.com/groups/flickrhacks/) that enhanced the experience. It allowed members to create very complex group experiences (www.flickr.com/groups/thepinnacle/). This built community and rewarded administrators of those groups. It fostered resources that help photographers increase their skills, it increased collaboration, and supported friendships. To be honest it also meant a feeling of ownership. There was pride in running a highly functioning group. Beginning several years ago the underlying code that supported the scripts was changed. That meant all the scripts stopped working. Those complex groups stopped as they were unable to manage those groups without scripts. Administrators of those groups left and took their expertise with them. Now with the loss of RA groups that rely on comments are experiencing a loss of membership. To see comments you must open every photo. With RA you could see the comments on each photo easily and in time order. So for those of us who have invested years in developing group experiences the recent changes are heart breaking. My group had 150 to 160 active members. It was vibrant and energizing. It is lucky to see 20 to 25 active members a week. Other groups I administered are closed and those relationships are long gone. So if there is no interchange between group and Flickr staff that is meaningful, why run a group. After all it is free labor. Who doesn't want that. It is what made Flickr what it once was, a community.

view photos

Basic LA says:

What a disaster. With no concern for its users and no explanation given, Flickr is ruined.

view photos

Clement Tang * says:

stephencurtin:

Thanks for the great account of Flickr history.

"With RA you could see the comments on each photo easily and in time order. So for those of us who have invested years in developing group experiences the recent changes are heart breaking." - this is especially relevant. The new NC just put us on our back foot.

With each bad change by Flickr I lost quite a few good contacts.

view photos

Яick Harris says:

stephencurtin:

The API hasn't changed. It's quite possible that the developers have abandoned their scripts and you're likely feeling the effects.

People move on. It really has nothing to do with recent changes.

Speaking of flickr's history, each and every change has been greeted by a litany of complaints. Recall when they changed the front page in 2008? Or when they were forced to implement changes to satisfy Germany's censorship laws -- that was absolute chaos. Or the time the introduced "infinite" scrolling. People were complaining about repetitive stress injuries (OMG). People were offended when they introduced rounded buttons (FFS).

Complaining about changes to the interface have been a constant on flickr. I still love the place; I still welcome and changes they make, but I'm still amazed at the backlash they face when they implement changes. It's a private site, get over it.
Posted 4 weeks ago. ( permalink )

view photos

Ida Pyl says:

Flickr - the new Notification Center is still too slow. What do you do about this?

Horrible in combination with the bad decision to not show individual comments on pictures, when a user comments on more than one picture. You need to show the individual comments for individual pictures. What can be ONE possible reason for this decision (other than generating clicks for your statistics)?

Might be time to look for an alternative platform after 14 years, 120 million views, 9k followers, 4000+ pictures...

view photos

stephencurtin says:

Яick Harris the API did change and many of the developers revised them. Other revised them for specific browser. A couple of those worked until earlier this year but only in the non-beta format. Now none of those work. I am not complaining. But I do want to honor those who were early adopters and who enhanced the Flickr experience. I appreciate their efforts and the communities they created. My experience of Flickr is limited and I gladly acknowledge that others have a different experience than I had. But to label so many that struggled with Flickr as complainers doesn't match my experience. Most of the people I know tried to make Flickr work for them. They were not disgruntled, but honestly perplexed by why they could do what they were used to doing in Flickr. I guess if you see it as "complaining" then you would be amazed at the backlash. I see it as frustration and loss, with a inability at a personal level to have the experience they valued on Flickr.

(101 to 200 of 279 replies in [Acknowledged by Flickr Staff] Recent Activity & Notifications - Very slow loading!)
Subscribe to a feed of stuff on this page... Feed – Subscribe to help discussion threads