Help / The Help Forum

This thread has been closed by Flickr Staff.

Hot Topics

[Official Thread] Have an idea for Flickr? Share it here.
Latest: 30 hours ago
New Flickr Notifications Center and Settings available to all members.
Latest: 6 weeks ago
[Updated April 26, 2021] Flickr is moving payments to Stripe
Latest: 11 months ago
Welcome to the Flickr Help Forum! Click here to get started and to read our Forum Guidelines.
Latest: 17 months ago

Current Discussion

4K Apple TV - Flickr App not working
Latest: 36 minutes ago
No New Notifications
Latest: 3 hours ago
Gallery - What's this view of it ?
Latest: 4 hours ago
How to see the see the most recent posts from all the people I follow
Latest: 4 hours ago
[Monitoring Fix] panda........
Latest: 5 hours ago
Why.
Latest: 5 hours ago
Sudden drop in overall views.
Latest: 6 hours ago
[Acknowledged by Flickr Staff] The "Your Inbox Appears Empty" bug strikes again
[Acknowledged by Flickr Staff] Feed page vs. People page
[Acknowledged by Flickr Staff] Recent Activity & Notifications - Very slow loading!
Latest: 7 hours ago
Albums not always showing in uploader
Latest: 12 hours ago
Flickr not working on Samsung smart TV web browser.
Latest: 15 hours ago
More...

Search the Help Forum

Recent Activity versus Notification Centre

Mobile Lynn says:

I have been trying to use your new Notification Centre and I want to give you some feedback as I am so frustrated with the experience. I have been a user of Flickr for about 8 years now and I’m a Pro member. The Recent Activity Function and the Custom View of it were perfect for my requirements and many others having seen the feedback. When I started on Flickr and knew nothing about it I bought and read books written on it. They all referred to the Recent Activity Function as being the key to tracking your images and how right they were. With these latest changes the books are now useless as is the user experience.

The Custom View of Recent Activity was my go to function twice a day. I could work through every image of mine I was interested in, by title, clicking on each title and noting favs, comments etc and tracking progress through the many groups I put them in. Part of the fun of Flickr is seeing how far through some group levels your image can get and when it qualifies for the next level. After dealing with each image a simple back arrow would take me back to my Custom View exactly where I left it so I could move onto the next image. I would do this through 6 or 7 pages to get all my images and only then would I think about refreshing pages because the static view is critical. You can’t track a moving target.

Since the changes Custom View is USELESS as each time you press next to go to the next page everything refreshes and you end up with 95% of the same info you had on the previous page. This happens page after page and its impossible to ensure you have all you images info.

I have tried using the new notification centre and its even worse! There is no image title showing and the same image appears over and over again its a moving target. If you click on an image look at it and press back arrow the whole notification centre refreshes so you lose your place and the time it takes to refresh is unacceptable. I can go make a cup of tea while it thinks about giving me the info. I’m also continuously having to go to load more just to make it even slower!

I have tried each of your drop down selections.

The Comments on photos you have commented on is a complete waste of time. Why do I want to see on the hundreds of photos I award each day who else as awarded them. It’s of no interest whatsoever. What I want to see is who has directly responded to one of my comments by using the reply option on my original comment which now seems to be in mentions although its incomplete.
Favs - I want to see grouped by photo which I could do in the Custom View of RA. I’m interested in how each of my images is doing not who is faving them. If I want to do that I simply go to the photo concerned, go to the FAVS AT THE TOP and press the more people option and hey presto my list. On RA custom view for any image I could see all comments and favs against an image in one place. If I’m interested in an individual I simply click their name and look at their favs page for my images. Most favs are obtained within 48 hours of posting by your followers.
Followers - I get an automatic email when someone follows me showing you who else they follow who follows me and some of their photos, why do I need this option in Notifications?
Galleries - interesting but again in RA I didn’t have to look for it separately.
Groups - I administrate many groups and frankly this is Pointless.
Group invitations - slow and cumbersome. RA was much better as you saw all invites in one place could accept them and then click on the links to go to the overview page of the group where you can pick up the award code you need to use. After doing your awards you can return back to recent activity where you left it and move on. In the new set up I have many invitations missing so can’t trust it, I can’t see all the invitations on an image without clicking into it and when you click on the group you have just accepted the invite for it takes you to the Photo page, which is the wrong place because you then have to find the award code on another page. Then when you try and go back to notifications the page refreshes again - slowly!! Talk about a huge backward step.
Mentions - as mentioned above very useful - A success!!
Messages - I get these into my normal mail inbox so don’t need this functionality here
Notes - no idea how these are selected. I seem to have had only 7 in 5yrs and to me they look like normal comments.
Tags - Seems pointless to me
Testimonials - might look at this every couple of months.
Groups you Admin - useless - why do I want to know each time someone posts a photo needing more awards into a thread in a group which they do frequently. You cannot see the wood from the trees.

Recent Activity was also a menu option so easy to find. Notifications is in the top right corner of my screen which is where I always have lots of other things that need actioning sitting because thats how an Apple Mac works.

These changes are the worst thing Flickr has ever done. I used to implement systems and changes for a living and if I had done this change I would have been reprimanded and or fired! This could potentially cost you thousands of dollars in lost memberships and that will cost jobs. It feels like you are trying to give a facebook type experience and if all I wanted to do was to post an image for the odd friend to comment on I would use Facebook not Flickr. I am now having to track my images by spreadsheet and pencil how ungreen is that! Its the only way I can be sure I pick up all my live images. I have in the region of 40 images at a time working their way through life on Flickr from the initial upload, of which I do 2 a day, into groups and working their way through the various levels in those groups. It has become an extremely time consuming and cumbersome process when it used to be so simple and enjoyable. No wonder you got so many complaints.

In my view you need to return RA to how it was and stop being so stubborn about removing it for the sake of it.
Posted at 8:53AM, 24 September 2021 PDT ( permalink )

view photos

Carla@ says:

Mobile Lynn:

In my view you need to return RA to how it was and stop being so stubborn about removing it for the sake of it.

Yes Lynn, the new Notification Centre is a real disaster !
Posted 4 weeks ago. ( permalink )

view photos

Thomas Hawk says:

Mobile Lynn:

What we have to consider is that there may be many reasons why Flickr is choosing to deprecate Recent Activity and move to the new Notifications Center.

A lot of the code on Flickr is very, very old (the site's two decades old!). I suspect that with new modern computer code the notifications center is MUCH less resource intensive than the old recent activity was. It is probably substantially more stable as well which would mean less costly resources working to patch recent activity as old things are less efficient and break.

Ultimately these are positives for Flickr and one might argue for their users.

That said, Notifications is not as good as recent activity was for a number of reasons. Some of these reasons Flickr has been addressing (adding in the comment modal to the page for example and likely adding in the faves modal as well). Some of these reasons may be more technical and resource intensive in a way that may not make them possible in the future.

Whatever the case, Flickr is not going back. At this point too much has been invested and decisions have been made to move forward with the new Notifications center. The best we can work towards at this point is to provide positive feedback on how it can be made better and more helpful.

I don't think Flickr decided to remove recent activity "for the sake of it." I think that there were many thoughtful reasons on why they decided to make this change. I do suspect it gets better over time as more feedback is provided and engineers/designers have more time to implement some of the changes that will improve it.

view photos

mag3737 says:

Mobile Lynn:

Notes - no idea how these are selected. I seem to have had only 7 in 5yrs and to me they look like normal comments.

Notes are comments literally ON your photos. Here is a great example. As you move your mouse over the photo you can see all the notes that have been used to identify stars.
star by eleysondeoliveirajunior

view photos

DenaKel says:

How can I see the comments on my photos? It just shows me a bunch of tiny little photos that have comments but I can't see the comments. Do I have to click on every single photo? I used to be able to click on the bell and see each photo that had a comment. I tried to go to recent activity but now they are not even listed there ugh :( :( :

view photos

Lincs L&P says:

DenaKel:

Alas yes you have to spend ages going to look at every photo to see what is said. This it seems is what they call progress, which it isn't. Don't worry they will soon lock this thread as they did with mine.

view photos

Picture post. says:

Ending RA is Flickr's biggest mistake since Yahoo, it will kill the groups.

view photos

Thomas Hawk says:

DenaKel:

How can I see the comments on my photos? It just shows me a bunch of tiny little photos that have comments but I can't see the comments.

DenaKel, you can see comments on photos on the notifications page by using the comment modal.

Comment Modal in Notifications

When you see a comment like the one above in your Notifications, you can click on the bolded underlined hyperlink (in the photo above "you had me at Camaro")

That will open up a comment modal window that looks like the one below.

Comment Modal in Notifications

When you are done you can hit the escape key (or click on the X) and it will close the comment window.

view photos

mag3737 says:

Lincs L&P:

Don't worry they will soon lock this thread as they did with mine.

They might. Staff have stated several times (almost every time they close a thread) that they are trying to steer the Help Forum back to being a place for user-to-user help about using Flickr. They are requesting that feedback about the Notifications Center be sent to them directly using the "Contact Us" page in the Help area. Go here for that: www.flickrhelp.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

But they might not close this one right away, because there is also actual HELP occurring here.

view photos

my.travels says:

I will end my PRO membership in October.. then I will not care about this problem. Let them do whatever they want.

Thomas Hawk above seems to understand the problem behind, very well. So do I. However, Flickr is not able to describe the technical difficulty of continuing RA page in a manner which most users would understand easily. If they have described the problem very well, most users would understand and accept this new situation. A good behavioral action could avoid the strong opposition.

All the databases have limits. There are no human made infinite systems. But there are methods and means to cope with this problem.

view photos

mag3737 says:

my.travels:

However, Flickr is not able to describe the technical difficulty of continuing RA page in a manner which most users would understand easily.

This is possible, but very unlikely. More likely is that they are unwilling to explain any technical reasons behind decisions like this one. If I were running a software company (and I have in fact worked in that industry for decades), I wouldn't usually do that, either.

view photos

Paris-Roubaix says:

The new notifications centre is utter dross. What a ludicrous 'update.' I just don't use it.

view photos

Latium says:

The new notifications centre can be easily summarized by comparing it with Edmund BlackAdders summary of how the first world war started.

Edmund Blackadder:

You see, Baldrick, in order to prevent war in Europe, two super blocs developed: Us, the French and the Russians on one side, and the Germans and Austro-Hungary on the other. The idea was to have two vast opposing armies, each acting as the other's deterrent. That way there could never be a war.

Baldrick: But this is a sort of a war, isn't it, sir?

Edmund: Yes, that's right. You see, there was a tiny flaw in the plan.

George: What was that, sir?

Edmund: It was bollocks.

Nuff sed innit :-)

view photos

mag3737 says:

Paris-Roubaix:

Latium:

Staff have stated several times that they are trying to steer the Help Forum back to being a place for user-to-user help about using Flickr. They are requesting that feedback about the Notifications Center be sent to them directly using the "Contact Us" page in the Help area. Go here for that: www.flickrhelp.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

view photos

Flickr Staff

cabb88 says:

Mobile Lynn:

Thanks for trying out the Notifications Center and Settings and for sharing this detailed feedback. The more that folks try it out and provide us with constructive feedback, that better we can make it. I'll make sure that this feedback makes it to the team.

If anyone has additional feedback that they'd like to share with our team, please write to us here. We want to address everyone's feedback and writing directly to our team will help us do so.

Thank you,
Carol

This thread has been closed by Flickr Staff.

Subscribe to a feed of stuff on this page... Feed – Subscribe to help discussion threads