Help / The Help Forum

This thread was closed automatically due to a lack of responses over the last month.

Hot Topics

[Official Thread] Have an idea for Flickr? Share it here.
Latest: 25 hours ago
New Flickr Notifications Center and Settings available to all members.
Latest: 3 months ago
[Updated April 26, 2021] Flickr is moving payments to Stripe
Latest: 12 months ago
Welcome to the Flickr Help Forum! Click here to get started and to read our Forum Guidelines.
Latest: 18 months ago

Current Discussion

Structural Underreporting in Bell Icon
Latest: 27 minutes ago
Sorting photos in albums - basic
Latest: 40 minutes ago
Cast your photos from Flickr APP on Android or iPhone to Chromecast/device
Latest: 3 hours ago
Cookie consent form frozen
Latest: 8 hours ago
To staff: Re: submitting a report under contact button - original goes missing
Latest: 11 hours ago
Faves
Latest: 14 hours ago
[Acknowledged by Flickr Staff] Recent activity - Can we have it back? Please???
Latest: 15 hours ago
Flickr Support?
Latest: 16 hours ago
Favourite lists
Latest: 16 hours ago
What will happen to my photos if something goes wrong on the day of the renewed subscription
Latest: 18 hours ago
Pictures not showing up today?
Latest: 18 hours ago
Underscore of pronouns in Flickr Mail
Latest: 35 hours ago
More...

Search the Help Forum

Notifications: how to read multiple comments?

amazingstoker says:

I received two comments on one photo. Notifications tells me:

UserA and UserB commented on your photo: "UserB's comment"

I can't find a way to to see UserA's comment, is this possible in Notifications?

MTIA
Posted at 2:30PM, 14 October 2021 PST ( permalink )

view photos

mcnod says:

amazingstoker:

I can't find a way to to see UserA's comment, is this possible in Notifications?

Yes, click the comment that you can see in the notification and a (scrollable) pop-up will appear. You can even add a response if you wish, all without going to the photo page.
Posted 2 months ago. ( permalink )

view photos

amazingstoker says:

mcnod:

That's great thanks.

view photos

conall.. says:

amazingstoker:

a more problematic situation is whe you get message "User A commented on 7 photos."

in this situation you can only see the new comments by clicking on the individual pictures and going to the bottom of the comments for each picture. There is no way to see the comments directly from the notifications page.

Flickr staff did acknowledge this problem and said engineers were aware but I havent seen any updates on progress nor a clear statement that this will be fixed prior to December 15th

view photos

Thomas Hawk says:

conall..:

a more problematic situation is whe you get message "User A commented on 7 photos."

There are significant issues with the new notifications system and this is one of them.

Unfortunately though, I suspect that they've given up working on the notifications system at this point and we are stuck with "you get what you get" here at this point.

It's been 6 weeks since they updated the blog post on notifications and they've redirected any comments or issues with it into the black hole of "contact customer support" where these issues do not have to be publicly addressed or considered.

Muted items still are empty, there is no previously mentioned fave modal implemented, load times are way, way too long, frequently activity is skipped/missed altogether, multiple comments by a single user are grouped and require loading the actual individual image page (as mentioned), favorite totals are sporadic and usually not there, sometimes a users favorites are grouped other times they are not --making it almost impossible to use with favorites turned on for active users.

It's a huge step back in almost every way from our old beloved recent activity page, but I doubt any future fixes are implemented and it's probably just one of those "that's just the way things go sometimes" at this point.

The Holidays are coming up and I'd guess any future work on this section has been moved to the back burner, if any burner at all.

view photos

Thomas Hawk says:

"frequently activity is skipped/missed altogether"

But Flickr, Why All the missing notifications while I am sleeping copy

But Flickr, what about the 7 hours of missing notifications from when I was asleep?

view photos

stephencurtin says:

I am sure that staff will close this thread just like all the others. But members are raising serious defects in the revised Notification. As I stated previously, the revisions favor tablet and phone users and are detrimental to those who use a browser. For groups that use comments as definers for movement within groups, "notifications" make that system impossible. Recent activities allow members to see all the comment on a photo easily. This issue has been discussed in early "closed" thread to what appears to be no avail. The "we are working on it and we hear you" had not appear to result in any reworking or rethinking of "notifications". Thomas Hawk has detailed these concerns here and in other "closed" threads with no specific response from staff. I hope in this instance a specific helpful response will be forthcoming.

view photos

mcnod says:

stephencurtin:

I am sure that staff will close this thread just like all the others

Well, the OP's specific question has been answered to his satisfaction and everything after that is off topic, so closing this thread should not be a problem.

view photos

conall.. says:

Thomas Hawk:

Unfortunately though, I suspect that they've given up working on the notifications system at this point and we are stuck with "you get what you get" here at this point.

i really hope you are wrong about that. I had hoped that the period of time after the feedback collection would be used to make the new system a bit more fit for purpose

view photos

Flickr Staff

cabb88 says:

Hey, folks. We appreciate you trying out the new notifications center. We published a blog post about a month ago outlining the improvements that we're going to be making based on everyone's feedback. These include:

- Investigating instances where members have reported that notifications take a while to load.

- Adding a faves modal, similar to the one on the photo page, so that you can see all of the Flickr members that have faved your photos recently.

- For fave and comment notifications, adding the total number of faves or comments, as applicable, without needing to navigate away from the Notifications panel or Notifications Center.

- Improving how muting is described in the Notifications Center by specifying exactly what’s being muted.

It will take us some time to address all of the above, but we'll be sure to provide updates as we ship these out. If you have further feedback or notice anything out of the ordinary with your notifications, please write to our Support Heroes team so that we can help. Thank you.

view photos

conall.. says:

cabb88:

thanks - i really hope you guys manage to make it a good bit better by December 15th!

The issue of being able to read the comments directly or a click away from the notifications page when a person has commented on more than 1 photo isnt actually covered in the blog post but was acknowledged by staff in HF threads and staff said it had been raised with engineers as an issue. It would be great to get public confirmation that intention is that this glitch will be fixed (even if this doesnt happen before December 15th)

view photos

Flickr Staff

cabb88 says:

conall..:

Yes, this feedback has been shared with the rest of the team. It's not included in our initial batch of improvements, but we'll provide an update once we determine when and how we'll address it.

view photos

janetfo747 ~ back but slow says:

My question is what i the team hoping the final result will be by elimination of recent activity and replacing it by notifications?

Looking forward to your reply. thanks JanO

view photos

cnmark says:

Thomas Hawk:

what about the 7 hours of missing notifications from when I was asleep?

An issue that happens just too frequently.
The "load more" button just does not work as it is supposed to.
It is more a randomizer of events.

cabb88:
Adding a faves modal,

That cannot be too difficult, just load the respective photo's "favorites" page into a modal. Therefore I cannot understand why it takes so long to implement that - after it has already been criticized months ago.
It would look a bit ugly to load a legacy page into that modal, but so does the entire notifications page, therefore never mind...
In case you don't even know that there is a "favotites" page/view for every photo, I refer to this kind of view:
www.flickr.com/photos/cabb88/51069833712/favorites/

will take us some time to address all of the above

You should never have released an only half functional replacement for RA in the first step. This notifications page looks rather amateurish and half-baked.

Also, you had months to fix all that since the first release to a limited selection of users, where all these issues were already addressed in the feedback. Do you only hire part-time programmers?
cnmark edited this topic 2 months ago.

view photos

Thomas Hawk says:

cabb88:

It will take us some time to address all of the above,

Thanks for the update Carol. In internet time a month with no progress feels like a really, really, really long time -- especially for one of the most important/accessed pages on Flickr by heavier users. Hopefully there can be some progress made soon.

Social networks thrive on social interaction. When one misses activity because of bugs, this can have unintended consequences. If someone has been inviting my photos to groups regularly, for example, and then they send invitations that seem to be ignored (when really the system just is not reporting them to me to respond to) this can create a negative experience for both users.

Such a slow, clunky, and inconsistent experience on the most important page for social on Flickr is frustrating. Especially at a time when Flickr, as a niche social network, might take advantage of so many negative stories coming out around Facebook/Instagram and hope to convert photographers from those sites, it feels like fixing this page should be important to Flickr.

view photos

conall.. says:

janetfo747 ~ back but slow:

it is clear they are wanting to make Flickr more attractive to a bigger/younger audience by updating to modern notifications standards that are familiar and intuitive/friendly for folks coming from other platforms.

This seems a reasonable and worthy thing to do to me. I, like many of us here, have a vested interest in Flickr doing well/thriving/surviving long-term as I spend a bit of spare time here every day and I enjoy it. So I hope this all works out.

I am no programming expert but it iseems obvious that it would be difficult to maintain two very different mechanisms for seeing recent activity in the long term (RA and New Notivications Centre) so RA needs to go. I think we just need to accept this and report issues/needs to make sure that the new notifications does get easier to use.

The real trick for Flickr will be to get all the old folks like me that want an
individual photograph-centric notification system like we have been
using for a decade or more to feel that the new notifications system is working and that we are able to do what we are used to doing easily and are happy... ..AND also to get the young folks who are coming from from everything else to land on Flickr and not feel it is old fashioned/awkward

Actually I'm pretty sure Flickr will manage this eventually. I, for one, want Flickr to manage this!

cnmark:

Do you only hire part-time programmers?

I am pretty sure nonconstructive stuff will just get this thread closed down - better to be constructive
conall.. edited this topic 2 months ago.

view photos

DenaKel says:

Why why why did they have to fix something that wasn't broke? My comments are all messed up now. I have no way to see them from my phone without constantly clicking on every photo. Please, even if it wasn't perfect, we were used to it and it worked - can you please just put it back the way it was?????

view photos

stephencurtin says:

cabb88:

t's not included in our initial batch of improvements, but we'll provide an update once we determine when and how we'll address it.

Can you keep "Recent Activity" until you figure it out. Your statement implies that your not sure that you know how or when you can fix it.

view photos

Thomas Hawk says:

Flickr Notifications Not Picking Up Group Invitations

I received an email from a friend/flickr contact wanting to know if I was mad at him. It was an odd thing to ask of course, but he pointed out that after years of accepting his group invitations for my photos on Flickr suddenly I'd stopped accepting them. He wanted to know if it was something that he did.

I had to explain to him that it's not him at all, it's just that the new Flickr notifications page doesn't really report group invitations very well. I get many group invitations every day on Flickr, but Flickr's new notification system only shows a handful in the past 3 months (see screenshot).

I assured him that I was not mad at him and told him that I'm sure Flickr will get this all worked out at some point in the future -- maybe at some point next year?

view photos

DenaKel says:

Thomas Hawk:

similar situation here. missing so many comments. why did they have to change it??? :(

This thread was closed automatically due to a lack of responses over the last month.

Subscribe to a feed of stuff on this page... Feed – Subscribe to help discussion threads