Help / The Help Forum

This thread was closed automatically due to a lack of responses over the last month.

Hot Topics

[Official Thread] Have an idea for Flickr? Share it here.
Latest: 26 hours ago
New Flickr Notifications Center and Settings available to all members.
Latest: 3 months ago
[Updated April 26, 2021] Flickr is moving payments to Stripe
Latest: 12 months ago
Welcome to the Flickr Help Forum! Click here to get started and to read our Forum Guidelines.
Latest: 18 months ago

Current Discussion

Structural Underreporting in Bell Icon
Latest: 74 minutes ago
Sorting photos in albums - basic
Latest: 88 minutes ago
Cast your photos from Flickr APP on Android or iPhone to Chromecast/device
Latest: 4 hours ago
Cookie consent form frozen
Latest: 9 hours ago
To staff: Re: submitting a report under contact button - original goes missing
Latest: 12 hours ago
Faves
Latest: 15 hours ago
[Acknowledged by Flickr Staff] Recent activity - Can we have it back? Please???
Latest: 16 hours ago
Flickr Support?
Latest: 17 hours ago
Favourite lists
Latest: 17 hours ago
What will happen to my photos if something goes wrong on the day of the renewed subscription
Latest: 19 hours ago
Pictures not showing up today?
Latest: 19 hours ago
Underscore of pronouns in Flickr Mail
Latest: 2 days ago
More...

Search the Help Forum

Releasing an alias/URL if the original member seems to no longer be active?

mindthegapuk says:

I'd like to get an alias/URL that has already been taken, but the original member seems to no longer be active: www.flickrhelp.com/hc/en-us/articles/4404070582420-Create...

I've tried to message them but it looks like they were possibly active as recent as about 2011, so may not even have access to their flickr anymore. I understand that usernames (whether active or deleted) cannot be re-used which I totally understand, but presume that an alias/URL ought to be recyclable if the original user may have become inactive for an amount of time?

Is there any approach that I can take up with flick to potentially review and release the alias/URL again (not the username)? I managed to do this on another (non-photo sharing) site a few years ago and the site agreed that the original member hadn't logged in for some years, and therefore it seemed reasonable to make the URL available again?

Thanks in advance!
Posted at 6:36AM, 16 October 2021 PST ( permalink )

view photos

mag3737 says:

The only way you might be able to accomplish this would be to contact Flickr staff directly using the link below. But I think the chances of them doing it are essentially zero. I have never heard of anything like this in all the years of Flickr before.

Staff contact: www.flickrhelp.com/hc/en-us/requests/new
Posted 2 months ago. ( permalink )

view photos

Viejito says:

mindthegapuk:

Even if the person with the URL you want is no longer posting photos or participating in any discussions, she may have posted photos in the past that some people are still happy to find there.

view photos

mcnod says:

This has been discussed many times in the past, the answer has always been no, and rightfully so. This should never be changed.

view photos

MabelAmber️***Pluto5339***MysteryGuest says:

mindthegapuk:

and therefore it seemed reasonable to make the URL available again?

I can imagine a few scenarios where such a change of "ownership" of a strictly personal URL might create confusion or even conflicts.
So no, recycling it is not "reasonable".

view photos

Coyoty says:

The owner may not be active now, but may want to resume in the future.

It may also be a memorial account.

If Flickr hasn't deleted it for abuses or by the owner's request, then it's still active and trying to have it reassigned to you is essentially identity theft.

Resign yourself to someone else having your name (my real name is extremely common, so I know what it's like), and make sure your name is unique and special to you alone, especially so you don't inherit whatever baggage the other person may have.

view photos

♛ Ⓐ Ⓛ Ⓔ Ⓝ Ⓐ_Ⓨ Ⓐ ♛ says:

Добрый день. Почему я не могу сменить аватарку и шапку? Что нужно сделать? Спасибо.

view photos

Viejito says:

♛ Ⓐ Ⓛ Ⓔ Ⓝ Ⓐ_Ⓨ Ⓐ ♛:

Were you trying to use an image rated moderate for profile photo?
They have to be safe images.

view photos

Flickr Staff

Melanie0426 says:

Thanks for everyone's input here!

mindthegapuk:

As you may contact staff directly with this request. I see you have not reached out yet, I went ahead and sent an email to help you with this.
Posted 6 weeks ago. ( permalink )

view photos

mindthegapuk says:

Thanks all (thanks Melanie for the support response), and good points made above regarding published/publicised URL elsewhere, memorial account, etc. (although I'm dubious its the case in this example).

No worries, I shall resign myself to it having been taken :)
Posted 6 weeks ago. ( permalink )

This thread was closed automatically due to a lack of responses over the last month.

Subscribe to a feed of stuff on this page... Feed – Subscribe to help discussion threads