Help / The Help Forum

This thread has been closed by Flickr Staff.

Hot Topics

[Official Thread] Have an idea for Flickr? Share it here.
Latest: 25 hours ago
New Flickr Notifications Center and Settings available to all members.
Latest: 3 months ago
[Updated April 26, 2021] Flickr is moving payments to Stripe
Latest: 12 months ago
Welcome to the Flickr Help Forum! Click here to get started and to read our Forum Guidelines.
Latest: 18 months ago

Current Discussion

Structural Underreporting in Bell Icon
Latest: 30 minutes ago
Sorting photos in albums - basic
Latest: 43 minutes ago
Cast your photos from Flickr APP on Android or iPhone to Chromecast/device
Latest: 4 hours ago
Cookie consent form frozen
Latest: 8 hours ago
To staff: Re: submitting a report under contact button - original goes missing
Latest: 11 hours ago
Faves
Latest: 14 hours ago
[Acknowledged by Flickr Staff] Recent activity - Can we have it back? Please???
Latest: 15 hours ago
Flickr Support?
Latest: 16 hours ago
Favourite lists
Latest: 16 hours ago
What will happen to my photos if something goes wrong on the day of the renewed subscription
Latest: 18 hours ago
Pictures not showing up today?
Latest: 18 hours ago
Underscore of pronouns in Flickr Mail
Latest: 35 hours ago
More...

Search the Help Forum

[Acknowledged by Flickr Staff] Sudden drop in overall views.

Richard Cheesman says:

I've been rather pleased with the seeming good progress in getting a nice number of views. I don't ask for much, but what I've got has been appreciated and rising steadily to a point.

But, today it's completely tanked. I've gone from averaging around 900-1100 views per day to 130 as of posting this. This is despite no real change of subject matter, putting it into my usual round of groups that I post to, no massive changes to tags (apart from being able to identify a couple of species, etc).

It's totally odd. I wonder if anyone else has been having a sudden, unexplainable drop in numbers?

It's not the end of the world, personally - but it's nice to have seen progress in something I've come back to with renewed vigour, and odd, but not disheartening to see it dive off a cliff.
Posted at 9:07AM, 21 October 2021 PST ( permalink )
Melanie0426 (staff) edited this topic 6 weeks ago.

view photos

Loverdag - unedited - says:

Yes, we do www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157720026321229/
Posted 6 weeks ago. ( permalink )

view photos

Rasande Tyskar says:

Same here. To my understanding, the overall views dropped since Flickr started messing around with Recent Activity and introduced the bell. My guess is, that this dropped Flickr traffic on a wider scale.

view photos

my.travels says:

Rasande Tyskar:

I agree with you. It got very hard to follow through the bell. It takes very long to go back to see the faves or comments, if you have not been on Flickr for a couple of days.

view photos

my.travels says:

Flickr's main difference was Recent Activity, which was putting Flickr ahead of its competitors. Now, it's gone.

view photos

Walkuere123 says:

Richard Cheesman and Rasande Tyskar: Same problem/observation here, on and off. I also noticed on a few occasions over the past three weeks that there was an unusually low number of uploads from contacts who upload regularly on a daily basis - e.g.: only 7 or less uploads from some 100 people over as much as 8 hours, and uploads from some contacts did not show up in the Feed at all or showed up a few days later. My guess is that the new Activity Feed is going through "growing pains" that come with all new things, and that the dynamics of participation by Flickr members fluctuate as they always did. The new Activity Feed has been met with much criticism, but let's wait and see how we like it once we get used to it and once the "potholes" in this road get fixed one by one!

view photos

Date J. de Vries says:

Same problems here. A drop in views and faves for a week now. Hopefully it is fixed soon. Also a lesser (invisible) feed from my contacts.

view photos

last_mec_dispatcher says:

Yesterday and todays views are down by a solid 20-30%. I know all the usual stuff, not everybody's looking today, the football game is on, whatever. Well whatever the reason it's a regular issue. And I think it has to do with the algorithm they use that selects which of your contacts see your posting
last_mec_dispatcher edited this topic 6 weeks ago.

view photos

verona39 says:

In my case Total Photo Views figure in Stats does not change, though the individual photo views in camera roll actually increase.
verona39 edited this topic 6 weeks ago.

view photos

dccradio says:

I am experiencing this issue as well. The last 3 days my views have been down. Most of the pictures I've uploaded recently have about half the views I normally receive.

view photos

edwardnewton152 says:

Perhaps people have been fleeing Flickr for other sites. It seems the bots are taking over now anyway. These things trawl through 24/7 faving like crazy and no one is actually looking at the pictures.

view photos

Rasande Tyskar says:

Walkuere123:

I can tell, that my upload frequency is down since they changed Recent Activity as it spoiled my Flickr experience. It's just less fun to follow your photos with the new notification system. The Recent Activity worked like a good chronological archive centered on your specific work, whereas the Bell drives your attention away from your work, infact it's very hard to follow and it's not even working properly. Most of the people i know on Flickr have the same problems, so i guess that's one reason the overall traffic has gone down.

view photos

Date J. de Vries says:

Here still the same problems. I have 20% of the usually views. Hopefuly Flickr will fix this problems as soon as possible. It spoils the fun at this moment.

view photos

It just gets worse and worse. I just deleted an reposted a picture in hopes it might get seen. In 5 hours it got 12 views, while the one I posted at the same time got 162. As my renewal date draws close, once again I have to reconsider just how frustrating this site has become. The real issue is that this isn't a "one and done" issue it just keeps returning. It may be time to pull the plug.
The stats total rises, but the view count on individual posts doesn't move. Over the last three days views on individual posts and stat totals are down a solid 30%. The problem isn't people out leaf peeping or watching a football game or visiting granny. The problem is Flickr
last_mec_dispatcher edited this topic 6 weeks ago.

view photos

So the repost mentioned above has 22 views in 25 mins, vs the 12 views in 5 hours... Something is NOT wrong here ???

view photos

Date J. de Vries says:

Hopefully someone from Flickr reads this thread and can fix this.

view photos

mag3737 says:

last_mec_dispatcher:

Your photos are not even public. I couldn't see them if I wanted to.

view photos

mag3737:

No I understand that, but there are 520 people who can see them. In the hour and a half since I reposted that photo above, it has almost 100 hits. Something was definitely amiss.. And not for the first time. But thank you for trying, and responding !

view photos

Loverdag - unedited - says:

Rasande Tyskar:

I can tell, that my upload frequency is down since they changed Recent Activity as it spoiled my Flickr experience. It's just less fun to follow your photos with the new notification system. The Recent Activity worked like a good chronological archive centered on your specific work, whereas the Bell drives your attention away from your work, infact it's very hard to follow and it's not even working properly. Most of the people i know on Flickr have the same problems, so i guess that's one reason the overall traffic has gone down.

I agree with all you said here. However I beleive lowered stats have some technical background as well, because people from "my circle" didnt make any mass exodus from Flickr (yet), but the stats dropped for us too.

view photos

Walkuere123 says:

Rasande Tyskar:
Only 16 uploads from contacts listed in my Feed within the past 14 hours ... this does seem very off, even when considering that the whole site was slow yesterday and needed a fix. By contrast, my own latest upload of three days ago was back on track and within the normal average range of views, favs, etc. Very strange indeed!

view photos

Date J. de Vries says:

Still no solution. A very slow operating website and low views and faves.

view photos

Rasande Tyskar says:

Walkuere123:

Well, it may be a technical issue as well, but my whole experience over the years is: If Flickr changes something on the program code it often messes other things up. The drop in traffic occurred right after they played around with new notification and limited Recent Activity. We had another significant drop in overall views, when Smugmug took over from Yahoo. I lost some 3 Mio views these days. They were either never there in the first place or the program just deleted them. Before the change in new notification i had some average 3.000 views a day and now down to average 1.500, without drastically doing anything different than before. But it's not just the views, it's also that i noticed less discussion and less comments, which to me clearly is a sign that people went less active, due to the changes.

view photos

mcnod says:

Rasande Tyskar:

without drastically doing anything different than before

Your total number of Aug, Sept, and Oct public uploads are well less than half of the previous month's uploads this year and less than half of the same month's uploads last year. This would cause a "drop in traffic" as well I would think . . .

view photos

Rasande Tyskar says:

mcnod:

Maybe it is, but i had less pics posted way before and still more average views. However, we will see over the next months, if traffic in general has gone down in Flickr and maybe draw a solution, that it had to do with the recent changes, or just another algorithm bug. We'll see.

view photos

Badger Spirit says:

edwardnewton152:

That's the feeling I get. I'll be sad if Flickr bites the dust, it really is still good for really sharing photos.......

view photos

www.dnurv.ca says:

Perhaps it's time for the admins to give us an update on changes in the view count tabulating process...the views have been grossly overrated since the last page update...must be ten years ago now...at that time image views were not individual views as you might expect but tabulated as part of page views...it made everyone feel good about participating in the site at the time, so no-one really quibbled with the change as i recall...

view photos

Flickr Staff

Melanie0426 says:

Thanks for everyone flagging the issue with low view counts. We have alerted our engineers and will be posting any updates in the following thread:
www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157720026321229/

We will also be monitoring that thread for any new reports.

This thread has been closed by Flickr Staff.

Subscribe to a feed of stuff on this page... Feed – Subscribe to help discussion threads