Help / The Help Forum

This thread was closed automatically due to a lack of responses over the last month.

Hot Topics

[Official Thread] Have an idea for Flickr? Share it here.
Latest: 27 hours ago
New Flickr Notifications Center and Settings available to all members.
Latest: 3 months ago
[Updated April 26, 2021] Flickr is moving payments to Stripe
Latest: 12 months ago
Welcome to the Flickr Help Forum! Click here to get started and to read our Forum Guidelines.
Latest: 18 months ago

Current Discussion

upload error
Latest: 8 minutes ago
Cast your photos from Flickr APP on Android or iPhone to Chromecast/device
Latest: 13 minutes ago
Structural Underreporting in Bell Icon
Latest: 2 hours ago
Sorting photos in albums - basic
Latest: 2 hours ago
Cookie consent form frozen
Latest: 10 hours ago
To staff: Re: submitting a report under contact button - original goes missing
Latest: 13 hours ago
Faves
Latest: 16 hours ago
[Acknowledged by Flickr Staff] Recent activity - Can we have it back? Please???
Latest: 17 hours ago
Flickr Support?
Latest: 18 hours ago
Favourite lists
Latest: 18 hours ago
What will happen to my photos if something goes wrong on the day of the renewed subscription
Latest: 20 hours ago
Pictures not showing up today?
Latest: 20 hours ago
More...

Search the Help Forum

[Acknowledged by Flickr Staff] The "Your Inbox Appears Empty" bug strikes again

MabelAmber️***Pluto5339***MysteryGuest says:

As per the topic title.

The previous thread was closed due to "inactivity" over the past month.

I need to refresh the page a couple of times.

Cannot this bug be really *fixed* instead of reducing the "amount of time etc"?
What is meant by that anyway?

Looks like the fix we pushed was successful in reducing the amount of time inboxes appear empty./

Edited for typo
Posted at 2:39PM, 22 October 2021 PST ( permalink )
Melanie0426 (staff) edited this topic 6 weeks ago.

view photos

Loverdag - unedited - says:

I see that issue almost always when I open my mail box since it was first reported in the old thread(s). And it was 8 months ago, if Im correct.
www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157718491025593/#reply7...

Maybe the "fix" reduced number of the issues for someone, but it didnt work for me.
Posted 6 weeks ago. ( permalink )

view photos

mcnod says:

Loverdag - unedited -:

Maybe the "fix" reduced number of the issues for someone, but it didnt work for me.

Did you try what was suggested specifically to you as a possible course of action?
www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157719091247147/#reply7...

Just to confirm-- were you able to delete some of your FlickrMail to see if that helped?

(worked for me)

view photos

mcnod:

As you can see in the thread you linked, I asked for help with selective bunch delete, to ged rid off mails older than one year without deleting 12 pages of emails (aprox 2K messages) manually - and I did receive no help and no answer, nor from staff, nor from other users. Which I translated like: there is no way how to do it.
So no, hence there is no way how to do so, or I am not aware any, I didnt do it.
The few new mails I delete continuosly while Im done with them makes no difference (and I would not really expect it to make difference when I delete about 5 mails, while I still have over 2500+ in the mailbox).

Maybe you can help with that, did you find way?

view photos

mcnod says:

Loverdag:

did you find way?

Yes, I deleted hundreds of old flickr mails the first time I got the empty mailbox warning (it took a long time to delete them). The warning went away with a single page refresh before the purge, but I got rid of old flickr mails anyway. So that one empty mailbox warning was a fluke, or flickr's fix worked for me, or reducing the idle and old messages (coming in and going out messages) saved me from your current issues.

view photos

mcnod:

I meant if you find any solution for my situation aka selective bunch delete, which would allow me to delete thousands of mails other way than manually, while I would be able to select which of them I want to keep and which to delete.
Same thing I asked in the old thread (the one you linked) and again above in my previous post. I am sorry, but I dont see any solution for that in your answer, you perhaps misunderstood what Im asking about.

view photos

mcnod says:

Loverdag:

you perhaps misunderstood what Im asking about.

I think I get it, you want the delete process to work the way you want it to work or else you will not try the suggested delete some of your old flickr mails to see if that fixes your issue. Meanwhile, I invested an hour, and my one time issue went away, (for whatever the reason).

view photos

Thomas Hawk says:

Flickr Inbox Not Loading by thomashawkblog

I was having this problem for months. It was terrible. Then one day in about 30 seconds I just clicked "select all" and then with one or two clicks deleted the 60,000 or so flickrmails clogging up my account and the problem disappeared and has never come back since.

view photos

Thomas Hawk:

The problem is I have reasons why I want to keep mails received for last year undeleted, to delete everything via the "select all" option is not solution for me.

I honestly, paying service should offer better fix that to tell customers "delete your mails for purpose fixing mailbox issue" - thats not really fix. However to be given way how to do it without deleting everything I would not mind to delete thousands of the old ones, these I dont need anymore.

So maybe if Flickr cant fix it in general, solution would be to add more tools for managing the batch delete with more options how to chose what we want to delete and what we want to keep.

view photos

Thomas Hawk says:

Loverdag - unedited -:

The problem is I have reasons why I want to keep mails received for last year undeleted, to delete everything via the "select all" option is not solution for me.

Sure of course. I understand. Just an option for people to consider. I always thought I needed to keep all of my years of messages as some sort of record or historical archive or if I ever needed information from one of them, etc. but then I realized that I'd rather have Flickr mail load than those reasons so I deleted them all. Different strokes for different folks. Of course flickr should fix this problem and everything else buggy with the site. They don't always fix things so fast though. :)

view photos

The option to "delete" mails, either the whole lot, or else a selection is the last thing I would consider.

Very many of those mails are dear to me, for all manner of reasons.

I'm with Loverdag - unedited here; this suggestion from staff to "delete" mails seems more like an emergency workaround than a bona fide FIX.

view photos

mcnod says:

MabelAmber️***Pluto5339***MysteryGuest:

Very many of those mails are dear to me

This is why I took an hour. An hour was plenty time to find 5-6 hundred that could be gone with zero emotional involvement. It was refreshing to review the many that I kept. The housecleaning makes what I kept more manageable.

Also, have you not "requested your data" and downloaded it to archive from flickr at some point? Aren't your flickr mails backed up in "your flickr data?"

view photos

mag3737 says:

mcnod:

Aren't your flickr mails backed up in "your flickr data?"

Oh, are they? I never thought they were, but the last (only) time I ever did it (when the capability was first introduced), I didn't pay attention to that detail.

view photos

Bottom line: whatever the arguments it should simply not be required of us members to spend our time sifting our mails to get around the bug.

There's a bug in the inbox, and Flickr needs to squash it.

view photos

mcnod says:

mag3737:

Oh, are they? I never thought they were

I was asking a question, I don't know know one way or the other.

view photos

decembre says:

MabelAmber️***Pluto5339***MysteryGuest:

There's a bug in the inbox, and Flickr needs to squash it.

+1

view photos

Flickr Staff

Melanie0426 says:

Thanks for reporting that the inbox is appearing empty again and for everyone's feedback. I have updated the bug report to alert our engineers. I asked for a workaround aside from selecting all the messages and deleting them- I will post in this thread if we are provided another workaround.

They are working on fixing this issue, it looks like this is a bigger project which is why there has not been an immediate fix.

view photos

Melanie0426:

Thank you Melanie for the update :)

view photos

decembre says:

Wait and see:
Thanks!

This thread was closed automatically due to a lack of responses over the last month.

Subscribe to a feed of stuff on this page... Feed – Subscribe to help discussion threads