Help / The Help Forum

This thread has been closed by Flickr Staff.

Hot Topics

[Official Thread] Have an idea for Flickr? Share it here.
Latest: 14 hours ago
New Flickr Notifications Center and Settings available to all members.
Latest: 3 months ago
[Updated April 26, 2021] Flickr is moving payments to Stripe
Latest: 12 months ago
Welcome to the Flickr Help Forum! Click here to get started and to read our Forum Guidelines.
Latest: 18 months ago

Current Discussion

Underscore of pronouns in Flickr Mail
Latest: 2 hours ago
To staff: Re: submitting a report under contact button - original goes missing
Latest: 3 hours ago
[solved]How can I stop this spam?
Latest: 4 hours ago
My Group Disappeared
Latest: 4 hours ago
Please, help! I'm not receiving any email notification about activity on my account.
Latest: 7 hours ago
Cant share multiple days from camera roll?
Latest: 8 hours ago
[Acknowledged by Flickr Staff] Recent activity - Can we have it back? Please???
Latest: 8 hours ago
No photos in Camera Roll .
Latest: 15 hours ago
Structural Underreporting in Bell Icon
Latest: 16 hours ago
[Acknowledged by Flickr Staff] Extremely low views and faves
Latest: 22 hours ago
Sorting photos in albums - basic
Latest: 23 hours ago
[Resolved] Stats Sources Not Showing
Latest: 30 hours ago
More...

Search the Help Forum

Why.

Lincs L&P says:

In the past 24 hours I have had over a dozen people comment on some of my photos. When I click on recent activity I only see one comment. How is this new system supposed to help those who are not brilliant with computers but knew where to find the words from those who had left them. Now takes ages to hunt down what has been said. This IS NOT an improvement by any stretch of the imagination. Give us back what we had and stop messing about making it difficult for those who struggle at the best of times with this modern world.
Posted at 8:39AM, 25 October 2021 PST ( permalink )

view photos

SJH Foto says:

Lincs, I wish they would too, or at least just definitively say that they won't. I just feel as if our requests on bringing things back are meaningless to the flickr staff and they only monitor this page to remove/stop threads that are too hard hitting
Posted 5 weeks ago. ( permalink )

view photos

mag3737 says:

Flickr staff statement on September 16th:

"The Recent Activity page will be sunset on December 15, 2021. "

I don't see how any statement could be more "definitive".
Link to statement: www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157719738061621/

Is the word "sunset" the problem here?
Wikipedia: In the realm of information technology (IT), to sunset a server, service, software feature, etc. is to plan to intentionally remove or discontinue it. In most cases, the term also connotes that this discontinuation is announced to users in advance, generally with an expected timeline.
Link: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunset_(computing)
mag3737 edited this topic 5 weeks ago.

view photos

mcnod says:

Lincs L&P:

Now takes ages to hunt down what has been said

Try this link:
www.flickr.com/notifications

view photos

conall.. says:

Lincs L&P:

i can see examples on my stream too today where RA misses comments but those missing comments have appeared on the new notifications system (although one of them is of the form: "userX has commented on 4 of your photos" so those comments cant actually be read directly from the new notifications.

I think the old RA will probably continue to get creakier and less reliable as we all wean ourselves onto the new notifications system over coming weeks.

I am still hoping the new notifications will improve a bit between now and the 14th of December.

I am certain there will be no going back to RA and that new notifications will eventually become a good enough way to see what is going on with comments.

view photos

~sin~star~ says:

I'm extremely unhappy with Recent Activity page disappearing.... someone faved 20 of my photos but it only shows 12. I prefer seeing the photo with each fave and comment separately rather than the person...so and so faved so and so many pictures...that's not telling me anything I want to know nor is so and so and 2 other so and sos faved this picture!! How am I supposed to know who the other two so and sos are without going to the picture and scrolling through the people! What a waste of time! NOT EFFICIENT AT ALL!! NOT BETTER AT ALL!! I want to see the picture and the number of faves it has and who faved it separate from every other person and photo!

view photos

Basic LA says:

~sin~star~:

I agree ! It's awful ! At least, don't we all deserve to know why? What was the reasoning behind this?

view photos

mag3737 says:

Basic LA:

don't we all deserve to know why?

No, we definitely do not. Would it be nice if they told us? Absolutely yes. But there is no "deserve" to be found around here.

view photos

Tatters ✾ says:

The "new and improved Notification Center" is disgrace!
It is so obviously much-much worse that "Recent Activity", so one just wonder WHY... ,
~sin~star~: Absolutely right everything you said, and more..., but Flickr staff do not even want to discuss it anymore. Is it what we pay for PRO?

view photos

Basic LA says:

mag3737:

Why not? We're paying customers. Aren't we allowed to know? (Maybe we'd see the point and agree.)

view photos

Hot Pink Flamingo! says:

I totally agree that the Notification Center is unsatisfactory, to say the least.

I woke up this morning to find (I counted) 36 new notifications....comprised of 34 comments left by one person. I didn't have time to read all the comments this morning due to the way the Notification Center is set up - if I had the Recent Activity working like it used to work, I would have EASILY been able to scroll through his 34 comments.

Tonight I had time (long exhale....I SO miss the Recent Activity that used to work GREAT and quickly!) to click on each thumbnail in the Notification Center attributed to that one person who left 34 comments but....get this....only 12 thumbnail images are showing that he left comments on this morning!!!!! To make matters worse, the Notification Center itself SAYS he left 34 comments....yet only 12 thumbnails are showing. Anyone with eyes can see this Notification Center is a failure!

THIS so called IMPROVEMENT is not an improvement at all! How am I supposed to figure out which 34 photos of mine he commented on now that 22 of the 34 thumbnails disappeared during the day???

view photos

Tatters ✾ says:

Hot Pink Flamingo!: so true... every word!
Also you do not know anymore straight away who actually favourite your photo. It would say "SomeOne and 5 others fav you photo" Who is 5 others?!?! Had to go to the photo to check it! Is it improved?!

view photos

Kernowfile says:

In some ways I have become more used to the new notifications but that is probably because I don't normally receive a great number of notifications and I'm normally online quite frequently. For those far more active than I, the new system must be a nightmare, and trying to catch up after a few days away would be very difficult.

The fundamental problem is that new notifications is largely user orientated whereas recent activity is image orientated. Given that this is an image gallery website it seems to me that the images should have priority in data provided to users.

I can also see that for some users/purposes the user priority of new notifications is preferable.

What would therefore be the "perfect" solution from a user perspective would be to have two separate pages giving those views or, to update the new notifications so that users can choose user or image priority for the display of notifications.

view photos

jaykay72. says:

I've really tried to use New Notifications, honestly, I have, but it is sadly lacking in the functionality that the current Recent Activity has, primarily the fact that if multiple comments are made on a photograph, you cannot read them in New Notifications, only the fact they have been made, you have to go to that photograph to read them, two different actions, now in the soon to be defunct, but goodness knows why Recent Activity link you can see all fav's and read all the comments made, only one action.

I realise that "progress" is supposed to be a good thing but not at the expense of reducing the functionality we have already, "progress" only works when you get better functionality than you had before which in New Notifications is sadly not the case.

This whole debacle seems to be an ill conceived, poorly thought out piece of change that nobody asked for and has been designed by people who are not flickr users but think they know what we all want, but without asking first.

I fully realise that anything said in this forum or thread will fall on stony ground as the decision has been made amd will soon be steam rollered in but at least flickr staff, read and consider the plethora of views on this change and at least incorporate all we had in RA into New Notifications.

view photos

Parker Hayes is Not Here says:

It does start at the top and roll down, the one thing about rules and changes to way things are.... the low people didn't make them, we just have to live with them
Parker Hayes is Not Here edited this topic 5 weeks ago.

view photos

Basic LA says:

SJH Foto:

I was about to ask the same question!

view photos

jaykay72. says:

SJH Foto:

Basic LA:

I don't think you will be alone in that 😉

view photos

my.travels2 says:

SJH Foto:

I agree with you and the answer is hidden in "Your Best Shot in XXXX" official groups, I guess.

view photos

mcnod says:

Well, another thread heads quickly down the rabbit hole . . .

Staff?

Time to close this one, maybe issue a few warnings or HF "time outs".

view photos

MabelAmber️***Pluto5339***MysteryGuest says:

Those who think us users, both free and paid (note: not "customers" but "users") actually "deserve" explanations from Flickr, (or any other site for that matter) whenever changes are brought about, would do well to take a good look at the Terms of Service to which any user who signs up agrees. No doubt you'll come across the bit right at the beginning: "the right to change, modify etc etc .... at its sole discretion etc."

Basically it says there: "Dear users, we are under no obligation to supply you with an explanation for whatever action we carry out on this site, if you are not happy with that, then do not sign up."

The universal "reason" for the changes will invariably be "to IMPROVE the user experience".
And surely everyone will want things to *improve*, no?

Summarizing: the above is simply the way sites work.

End of story.

www.flickr.com/help/terms

view photos

mag3737 says:

Guess what folks, I have almost all the same complaints about the Notification Center vs. Recent Activity as everyone else. But (a) I know how software companies work and (b) I intend to keep on keepin' on here. There's truly no point in having threads like this full of non-constructive feedback when it's clear that the ship has sailed. This is not being an "apologist". This is just facing reality.

view photos

conall.. says:

mag3737:

I agree with that - I intend to stay here and it is blindingly clear to me that RA will disappear as stated and that the new notifications is what we all need to get used to. it will get better in time.

Folks are looking at it too much from their own point of view - Older folks (like me!) who have been on Flickr for many years tend to like the old RA, we like its photocentric nature and being able to do what we are used to doing the way we have done it for years.

Show it to a young person and they instinctively do not like RA - they think it looks old fashioned and odd. It is likely, in my opinion that it is a barrier to recruitment of new users on Flickr.

it is clear to me they (Flickr) want to make Flickr more attractive to a bigger/younger audience by updating to modern notifications standards that are familiar and intuitive/friendly for folks coming from other platforms.

This seems a reasonable and worthy thing to do to me. I, like many of us here, have a vested interest in Flickr doing well/thriving/surviving long-term as I spend a bit of spare time here every day and I enjoy it. So I hope this all works out.

I am no programming expert but it seems obvious that it would be difficult to maintain two very different mechanisms for seeing recent activity in the long term (RA and New Notivications Centre) so RA needs to go. I think we just need to accept this and report issues/needs to make sure that the new notifications does get easier to use.

The real trick for Flickr will be to get all the old folks like me that want an
individual photograph-centric notification system like we have been
using for a decade or more to feel that the new notifications system is working and that we are able to do what we are used to doing easily and are happy... ..AND also to get the young folks who are coming from from everything else to land on Flickr and not feel it is old fashioned/awkward

Actually I'm pretty sure Flickr will manage this eventually. I, for one, want Flickr to manage this!

(note I have pasted some of this comment from one that i made that on another HF thread)

view photos

my.travels says:

conall..:

I also objected the change from RA to Notifications at the beginning. You may see my opposition in various threads. However, I talked to some of my engineer and programmer colleagues and found out it is really very difficult to keep continue with RA. In my opinion, this issue is far ahead of the young generations' preferences. My concern is mainly about staff attitude here and lack of description regarding RA and Notifications issue.

Some or maybe more of us here are from technical fields in our daily business, photography is a hobby for us. Therefore, we can understand the reasons behind if we are informed properly. Also, staff may open a thread to introduce how they progress in improving the Notifications and update this info at least weekly, rather than closing threads of complaint and banning some users to comment. It is now more than two months and I do not see any improvement in the existing quality of Notifications.

view photos

Rick2E says:

mag3737:

I think we do as most of us pay for the 'service'.

view photos

conall.. says:

my.travels:

I agree, communication could have been much better. A clearer public explanation of the technical reasons for needing to change would be better. So many of the arguments on threads here are of the type "It wasnt broken" "change for change sake" - So a comprehensive explanation regarding the need would go a long way - pretty sure they could do this without straying onto commercially sensitive territory and that it would settle at least a proportion of the folks making these criticisms.

and I also agree that some sort of running update reports on new notifications system would be welcome.

view photos

MabelAmber️***Pluto5339***MysteryGuest says:

Rick2E:

every crappy thing that flicxkr does!

As I said in my post above, you agreed to Flickr doing "every crappy thing that Flickr does" when you signed up for Flickr, just read the TOS:

www.flickr.com/help/terms

ETA "As I said etc."
MabelAmber️***Pluto5339***MysteryGuest edited this topic 5 weeks ago.

view photos

Flickr Staff

Melanie0426 says:

We understand that Recent Activity is a go-to page for Flickr members and our team is currently working on improvements to the Notifications Center and Settings based on the feedback we received from everyone.

Please contact staff directly if you have further feedback or ideas to help us improve notifications. If there are certain things you could accomplish using the Recent Activity page that you can't accomplish using the Notifications Center, please let us know.

This thread has been closed by Flickr Staff.

Subscribe to a feed of stuff on this page... Feed – Subscribe to help discussion threads