Help / The Help Forum

This thread was closed automatically due to a lack of responses over the last month.

Hot Topics

[Official Thread] Have an idea for Flickr? Share it here.
Latest: 10 hours ago
New Flickr Notifications Center and Settings available to all members.
Latest: 3 months ago
[Updated April 26, 2021] Flickr is moving payments to Stripe
Latest: 12 months ago
Welcome to the Flickr Help Forum! Click here to get started and to read our Forum Guidelines.
Latest: 18 months ago

Current Discussion

[Acknowledged by Flickr Staff] Extremely low views and faves
Latest: 3 minutes ago
private photos in albums
Latest: 10 minutes ago
Flickr Support?
Latest: 32 minutes ago
[Resolved] 504 Bad Gateway
Latest: 51 minutes ago
[Acknowledged by Flickr Staff] Pictures from account I dont follow in my Feed
Latest: 54 minutes ago
Please, help! I'm not receiving any email notification about activity on my account.
Latest: 2 hours ago
Faves
Latest: 2 hours ago
Not able to log in/migrate my account all pictures lost?
Latest: 8 hours ago
Cast your photos from Flickr APP on Android or iPhone to Chromecast/device
Latest: 8 hours ago
Structural Underreporting in Bell Icon
Latest: 9 hours ago
Will there be any Pro offers for Black Friday?
Latest: 18 hours ago
Is notifications a complete mess or am I missinng something?
Latest: 21 hours ago
More...

Search the Help Forum

Search box top right anomaly

MabelAmber️***Pluto5339***MysteryGuest says:

The item "more search types" is missing when using the search box, top right. And nor does it respond to the first letters, which needs to trigger the location of choice or a contact: for instance: I type in "He" and already "Help forum" should turn up in the drop down list. But this does not happen - when I type "Help forum" in full and hit enter I am directed to the "photos" page.

In fact the only options I get is "search photos - search people - search groups".

In the search box on the Help Forum page I get more results, but randomly, now and then "more search types" turns up, in full "The help forum", or "Organize" but you need to be quick because in a flash the links are gone from the menu.

Edited to add "or a contact"
Posted at 3:05PM, 26 October 2021 PST ( permalink )
MabelAmber️***Pluto5339***MysteryGuest edited this topic 5 weeks ago.

view photos

Annie-Sue Jyelra says:

Same for me for two or three days - no shortcut to the Help Forum in the search box where it always used to be.
Posted 5 weeks ago. ( permalink )

view photos

mcnod says:

MabelAmber️***Pluto5339***MysteryGuest:

but you need to be quick because in a flash the links are gone from the menu.

Not if I leave my pointer inside of the search box while typing.

view photos

Walkuere123 says:

MabelAmber️***Pluto5339***MysteryGuest and
mcnod:
Right now (Oct. 27 --- 11:47 AM EDT), there are three searchable drop-down categories available when the cursor is left in search box after typing: "Search Everyone's Uploads", "Groups" and "Flickr Members". Maybe there's some technical work in progress for the Search feature?

view photos

mcnod says:

Walkuere123:

there are three searchable drop-down categories available when the cursor is left in search box after typing

As Mabel said, the search box works differently on these help forum pages compared to most other pages. When I spoke of leaving the pointer in the search box, I was talking about how to keep the clickable shortcuts to other pages from quickly disappearing when you stop typing in the search box specifically on these help forum pages. There can be more than three options when you type in the search box on this page.

view photos

Walkuere123:

Maybe there's some technical work in progress for the Search feature?

Whatever it is, it's messed up good and proper.

When I start typing "Ni" in the search box on any page of my own account I get nothing save for those three aforementioned three categories - it used to be so that a list of terms beginning with "Ni" of else containing this sequence would appear.

SEARCH BOX on photostream

SEARCH BOX IN HELP FORUM

view photos

Walkuere123 says:

mcnod and
Thank you for pointing this out, can confirm that there are more search options available on this page (Help Forum) than on my photostream page; on my photostream page, however, I now get "Photos", "People" and "Groups" instead of the categories mentioned in my earlier reply. Something is definitely in the works. Will keep checking and wait what happens next!

view photos

mag3737 says:

I feel like I have noticed the Search boxes behaving differently in "old stack" vs. "new stack" pages for a really long time -- probably as long as the new stack pages have existed.

Given that HF and RA pages are both "old stack", and the Notification Center and Feed pages are "new stack", could it be that you are only noticing it now because you are spending proportionally more time in new stack pages nowadays?

I, too, appreciate the "old" search box functionality, but unfortunately I think the fact that it started disappearing a really long time ago is probably not cause for any optimism. Mark it down in the historical litany of Nice Things That Flickr Used To Be Able To Do.

view photos

mag3737:

Given that HF and RA pages are both "old stack", and the Notification Center and Feed pages are "new stack", could it be that you are only noticing it now because you are spending proportionally more time in new stack pages nowadays?

Hmm... well, I know memory can play tricks on us, but I swear that it was only recently that I got to the HF by typing in the "shortcut" in the search box, as Annie-Sue Jyelra mentions in her post above.

view photos

Annie-Sue Jyelra says:

Yes - I go into the help forum daily to see what's being reported/ asked/ discussed - so this is a very recent loss.

view photos

Flickr Staff

Melanie0426 says:

Hi all,
The search box you are seeing in the Help Forum is the Classic implementation. It looks like we don’t have plans to implement the Classic implementation in other pages since its old behavior.

view photos

mcnod says:

Melanie0426:

The search box you are seeing in the Help Forum is the Classic implementation. It looks like we don’t have plans to implement the Classic implementation in other pages since its old behavior.

That's fine, but what we would like to have back are the features and benefits that were part of the normal operation of the newer search box and were lost about 2-3 days ago.

view photos

Melanie0426:

As mcnod alreday noted.

Notably the absence of the search suggestions is annoying, for which I already provided an example: you begin typing and immediately suggestions for that sequence of letters roll out of the menu.

So I type "Ni" thus instantly my contact Nicky appears in the drop down. This is very important for instances where you forgot someone's full name, but still remember the first letters.

Edited for typo and wrong word
MabelAmber️***Pluto5339***MysteryGuest edited this topic 5 weeks ago.

view photos

mag3737 says:

but still remember the first letters.

... or any letters. IIRC, that matching capability would match on substrings anywhere in the item titles, not just in prefixes. "ru" finds the Help Forum.

view photos

mag3737:

... or any letters. IIRC, that matching capability would match on substrings anywhere in the item titles, not just in prefixes. "ru" finds the Help Forum.

Yes, absolutely, thanks for adding that.

This thread was closed automatically due to a lack of responses over the last month.

Subscribe to a feed of stuff on this page... Feed – Subscribe to help discussion threads