Help / The Help Forum

This thread has been closed by Flickr Staff.

Hot Topics

[Official Thread] Have an idea for Flickr? Share it here.
Latest: 13 hours ago
New Flickr Notifications Center and Settings available to all members.
Latest: 4 months ago
[Updated April 26, 2021] Flickr is moving payments to Stripe
Latest: 14 months ago
Welcome to the Flickr Help Forum! Click here to get started and to read our Forum Guidelines.
Latest: 20 months ago

Current Discussion

spam
Latest: 64 minutes ago
Organize page down?
Latest: 2 hours ago
[Resolved] Unable to open Faves by others of my pics.
Latest: 6 hours ago
App Garden
Latest: 7 hours ago
[Acknowledged by Flickr Staff] Recent Activity & Notifications - Very slow loading!
Latest: 8 hours ago
My latest pictures aren't showing up in public search
Latest: 9 hours ago
Albums order
Latest: 12 hours ago
Email Notificatgions STOPPED
Latest: 12 hours ago
How Can I delete Old Photos So I can Add New Photos?
Latest: 13 hours ago
[Acknowledged by Flickr Staff] Extremely low views and faves
Latest: 15 hours ago
? instead of a picture in notification mail
Latest: 16 hours ago
Flickr Uploader macOS Montery Not Uploading from Photos Library
Latest: 20 hours ago
More...

Search the Help Forum

[Staff Response] Recent activity - Can we have it back? Please???

Jaedde & Sis says:

Notifications doesn't work properly
Is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay slow to load.
Misses half the invites.

So - please!
Can we have have Recent activity back?
Posted at 10:17AM, 26 November 2021 PST ( permalink )
katie_ko (staff) edited this topic 2 months ago.

view photos

Jaedde & Sis says:

At least until Notifications works properly???
Posted 2 months ago. ( permalink )

view photos

Clement Tang * says:

You spoke for a lot of us !!!

view photos

Date J. de Vries says:

I totally agree!

view photos

Streets.and.Portraits says:

It looks there is no such option. This thread may be turned off soon.

view photos

John Oram says:

Notifications is not the same as Recent Activity but the former is not working properly - nothing for 21 hours although more recent pictures have been favourited.

Now partially fixed except that I am now getting (and have been for a few days) repeat notifications.
John Oram edited this topic 2 months ago.

view photos

Basic LA says:

Notifications is a disaster. It doesn't even look like Flickr. Why do this?

view photos

amazingstoker says:

Jaedde & Sis:

So - please!
Can we have have Recent activity back?

. . . and working properly like it used to before the Notifications changes effed it over

view photos

Jaedde & Sis says:

John Oram: No, never the same. But Notifications never the less was created to replace "Recent activities".
Hoping to see this: [Acknowledged by Flickr Staff] soon....

view photos

the foreign photographer - ฝรั่งถ่ says:

I am not happy with New Notifications either. Slower than hell and today one of my contacts chose 25 favorites according to my email notification, but I could find nothing on New Notifications about it. Not looking forward at all to losing Recent Activity page which as I recall is going to happen in about two weeks.

view photos

KaraAgain2 says:

Where's the list of people who added me? It's gone

view photos

mag3737 says:

KaraAgain2:

Where's the list of people who added me? It's gone

That has been discussed (with a response from staff) in this other thread:
www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157720138887444/

view photos

John Oram says:

I see the link to the bell now. This hasn't gone well, it is not up to date or keeping up to date. A classic example of mending something that was not broken.

view photos

Flickr Staff

R L Catlow says:

Jaedde & Sis:

Thanks for flagging.

We are currently aware of the the following issues mentioned here:

- slow to load
- missing group invites

We are continuing to work on improvements based on our members feedback. You can read more about this in our Flickr Release Notes here.

That being said I now sending over an email to gather some more details.

John Oram:

Shooting over an email as well to get some additional details.

Thanks!

view photos

Pierre Wayser says:

"Recent activity" was awful with a fast loading page full of relevant informations ! Now, with "Notifications", we have, at last, the time to make a coffee and no stress with more clicks for less informations !

view photos

my.travels says:

Pierre Wayser:

Is this an allegory?

view photos

Suziecd/tv says:

Totally agree, Notifications is a disaster

view photos

Basic LA says:

Still we don't know why they're doing this. Who does it benefit? Why do they dodge this obvious question?

view photos

Ger Bosma says:

Basic LA:

Still we don't know why they're doing this. Who does it benefit? Why do they dodge this obvious question?

It's probably too complex in its current form.
I agree that it could easily be dumbed down and streamlined.

Have it show a standard (paginated!) listing of 24 hours of all sorts of activity, making it less customizable.

If you want more info, create a new customizable page where you can choose a longer time period and which activity to show. I do not mind a few extra clicks to do so.

Probably the smartest thing to do and a way out of this quandary:

Simply make - an improved - RA-page a PRO feature.

You'll maintain the basic RA page for those willing to pay, while barring access for the 97+ % of free accounts.

view photos

Jaedde & Sis says:

R L Catlow: I haven't received any mail... ? :-)

view photos

Basic LA says:

Ger Bosma:

That makes sense! But will they listen?
Basic LA edited this topic 2 months ago.

view photos

conall.. says:

Ger Bosma:

thats a very interesting idea!

I wonder will Flickr, over time, make free accounts less attractive and make more clear differences between free and Pro accounts.

I suppose the real trick for Flickr is to get new free account holders to have sufficient functionality and features to get them to spend sufficient time and effort and become invested in their flickr site in terms of pictures posted and contacts made and so then be incentivised to go for the additional features of a pro account. The dangers are that if they make the free account less attractive then new folks wont be recruited to free accounts or stay long enough to think of or see the need for upgrading to a pro account,

view photos

njk1951 says:

The new notifications makes nonsense…PLEASE keep Recent Activity!

view photos

Clement Tang * says:

Pro accounts also are suffering / struggling with the new Bell!!!

view photos

Donkey Hot-tea says:

Ger Bosma:

"Probably the smartest thing to do and a way out of this quandary:

You'll maintain the basic RA page for those willing to pay, while barring access for the 97+ % of free accounts.
"

This would seem to be a case of polishing your halo and attempting to demonstrate that you are one of the 'good guys' because you 'pay your dues', whilst free account holders are merely freeloaders who benefit from the beneficence of Flickr, while themselves, contributing nothing.

You claim that 97% of accounts are 'free' (which may be entirely accurate), which means that only 3% of account holders are noble enough to dip into their pockets (bank accounts).

If those figures are accurate (and I have no reason to suppose they aren't) then perhaps I might point out that those 3% bring in nothing in the way of advertising revenue, while the 97+% bring in 100%.

A counter argument could therefore be made for making: "an improved - RA-page" a FREE ONLY feature instead, because those 97% are what brings in the advertisers. In other words: If you de-incentivise the Free accounts and drive them out, then you drive away the advertisers and Flickr will be forced to survive on what's left.

It would be interesting to know, which type of accounts (Free or Pro) generate the greater income.

However, when it comes down to it, there is an awful lot of discontent about the imminent demise of RA and I see no advantage of 'chest beating' by proponents of either Pro or Free accounts when there should be common cause demonstrated by all. Each type of account is beneficial in its own way and neither should be denigrated by the other.

Basic LA:

That's what "makes sense!"
Donkey Hot-tea edited this topic 2 months ago.

view photos

kiwi_kirsch says:

for the record: i am one of many who loves the awesome old recent activity and dislikes those new notifications. just one last comment displayed instead of the last number to see what this notfied reply is actually reffering to. fonts and layout not what flickr looks like. flickr is not ebay with five or six differently medieval, last century and modern layouts wherever you click. and make pro accounts cheaper again, thus 10% will pay for your services and your turnover will peak faaaar above what those 3% of pros are willing to pay. i was pro for 15 years, and i promise you: make prices affordable and all those refugees from 64€ of annual pro charges whom you lost will come back.

please keep RA and make pro affordable again.

edit: or rather, make semi pro accounts for less money? i do not need all those extras. i just would have loved to not have to delete 5,600 photos.

view photos

joeldinda says:

Another vote to keep the Recent Activity page.

view photos

rchrdcnnnghm says:

Out with the new, keep the old

view photos

Hot Pink Flamingo! says:

Recent Activity was PERFECT for when I would wake up and find 50 comments. I could scroll through the comments. I saw them all quickly! It was great!

A week or two ago I woke up and someone had left about 50 comments....what a disaster and a waste of time having to click on each thumbnail and then go to the photo itself, scroll down to see the most recent comment. Oh my gosh, it was HORRIBLE!

If the notifications was set up differently it would have been ok. But what Notifications did is it grouped bundles of 12 comments in one Notification, with 12 thumbnails, and I had to click on each thumbnail to go to each photo. OH MY GOSH, what a waste of time. I so miss Recent Activity!

And the app is even WORSE. I see 50 notifications, then it condenses them down to 1 or 2....there is no trace of the other 48 notifications. So I have to go to my computer and track down the other 48 notifications in the most inefficient way....I REALLY miss Recent Activity, which I used ALL THE TIME. It was great!

view photos

Franks Photos! says:

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

view photos

Geza (aka Wilsing) says:

What a polite lot you are!

I absolutely hate and abhor the new RA. It does not work period!

In general the responsiveness of the entire Flickr site it worse than treacle on a 150MB broadband connection where FB, Insta, and almost all sites that I interact with are almost instantaneous.

If it would not be the ability of bringing forth my legacy images since 2007 I would leave Flickr without hesitation.

With due respect to the exceptions, the camaraderie of the old Flickr has vanished years ago.

view photos

Robin Shepperson Photography says:

Today the notifications are even slower than ever, as good as unworkable.

view photos

sexybabydoll60 says:

Hot Pink Flamingo!:

Spot on, you hit the problem in one, notifications has to be the worst idea ever

view photos

Hobbyknipsel says:

Hot Pink Flamingo!:

+1

view photos

~sin~star~ says:

Add my vote as a paying customer (and paying way too much more per year than I used to when it was $25 to have a pro account) against the new notifications page. I don't care that "so and so" faved 29 pictures, that's not important to me! This site is about the PICTURES, I want to see EACH picture singly showing how many faves or comments it has garnered.We are all on here because we want to see how our pictures are do. I only clicked on the notifications bell in the past to get rid of the pink notification icon. This new notifications will be too time consuming to now click on each picture to see how many faves or comments it has....not only that we can't see more than 12 at a time.....what a mess. I hate that I pay for this mess and don't have the option to keep the old RA.....I've accepted all of the other changes to Flickr but this one....a big resounding NO!!!!

view photos

amazingstoker says:

Hot Pink Flamingo!:
+1

sexybabydoll60:
+1

~sin~star~:

. I only clicked on the notifications bell in the past to get rid of the pink notification icon

I've got the number adBlocked to stop the annoyance . . .

. . . and +1

view photos

Bas1953 says:

amazingstoker:

+1

view photos

beverleyplaya says:

HOME PAGE ...................................................................NOTIFICATIONS
under home page
show latest uploads
choice of your contacts
or all . . . ........................................................................show small tile size of your own photo and show below the comment or fave or invite

simple . . easy to see . . easy to use . . . does not have to be enormous in size . . but it's functional and it works . . .

the nerw sysyem I am sorry to say but I find hopeless and have stuck with it since it was introduced and it's frustrating . . takes ages to load up . . once you've click to view and if you should click on one to see what has been said . . go back to notifications again and it just won't go back . . sometimes it dows . . mostly it does not . . . show more, click on that the same thing happens. I hope this can be resolved asap as so many are getting more and more fed up with this.

view photos

pongo 2007 says:

Hot Pink Flamingo!:
+
~sin~star~:
+
Geza (aka Wilsing):

I agree with all of you. The bell notification (or whatever it is called) is useless for viewing the comments on single photos. I don't have a fast internet connection to click on each photo to see who or what has commented on a photo.

view photos

albyn.davis says:

After using new Notifications blithely for some time, I finally get one of the problems.
Here's my perspective.
When faves are presented as a clump of pictures, I have to go to RA to see the new fave count for each picture conveniently. I do this because I contribute to groups defined by fave counts.
It would be a tad more time consuming if I have to check each picture's fave counts, one at a time.
Not life shattering, not a "disaster," not a sinister plot, just sayin....
albyn.davis edited this topic 2 months ago.

view photos

John C. House says:

I have no problem with adding some kind of funtionality to Notifications. I have a great problem with making Recent Activity less functional. Why? Why ruin something that people find useful? Go ahead and add whatever you want. But please restore Recent Activity. This is so frustrating.

view photos

Gooders2011 says:

Yes please bring back the Recent Activity option.

view photos

ChristianofDenmark says:

After the new notification layout the entire Flickr is slow, slow, slow and sometimes unusable !! Why don't you just admit that it's a complete disaster, a huge mistake ... and change it back to what is was before ... please ...

view photos

Basic LA says:

ChristianofDenmark:

When you see a disaster this big, I think it must be the boss's idea. Anyone else would've been fired.

view photos

Dale Harding says:

Please do not get rid of recent activity, I will leave when I reach my free limit if you do. It is a disastrous decision. Change for changes sake. As the previous poster says this has decided from upon high, somebody getting paid big bucks. There is probably no stopping this know.

view photos

Rick2E says:

Recent activity still seems live here in the UK. I understood that it would finish on the 5th but i have had activity in the last 30 minutes. (Writing at 10.10 uk time). I have to agree that the notification bell is not as useable.

view photos

conall.. says:

Rick2E:

I understood that it would finish on the 5th but i have had activity in the last 30 minutes.

The date in the announcement and discussion here has been 15th December. Have you seen 5th mentioned somewhere else? Seems very unlikely they would bring this forward. Pretty sure we have another 10 days

view photos

stephencurtin says:

Two months ago all these issues were raised with staff. Several members made detailed and well articulated comments on why the this change is poorly thought out.
www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157719879983813/
Nothing has changed, other that staff has speculated that some of the concerns could be addressed in notifications (depending on the limits of the underlying code). As other members have made clear this change may profoundly affect the small percentage of members that still use badges and comments as group elements. Unfortunately, these are also the older members who developed social relationships via this format. Comments in favor of the new changes reflect those who post and fave, rather than relate to other members. In the thread above you can find Thomas Hawk's well articulated comments about how Flickr has changed in response to the flood of photography sites.

view photos

JamesWired says:

I have six days of my PRO account remaining. I won't be renewing largely due to the Notification/Recent Activity debacle. A little sad to let it go but I no longer feel the product justifies the price.

view photos

mcnod says:

JamesWired:

I won't be renewing largely due to the Notification/Recent Activity debacle.

Remember, renewals are automatic, you must cancel your subscription.
www.flickrhelp.com/hc/en-us/articles/4404058166548-Cancel...

view photos

JamesWired says:

mcnod:

I cancelled it about a week ago. But thanks for the reminder.

view photos

keithhull says:

I think to remove the Recent activity page is a form of self inflicted vandalism . The Notification page is so much more cumbersome .
Could someone please explain from Flickr why this change is being imposed

view photos

Lemon~art says:

Please keep Recent Activity whether for paying members or free members it is a useful and obviously much needed page for serious Flickr users and it is not replaced by the slow, ineffective bug-ridden Notification page. This is not a plea by people who just don't like any change but by users who want correct informative information about the activity on their account that is presented in a usable way in RA. Why replace a page that is not broken with one that is broken and incomplete? I know it is embarrassing to admit a wrong move but please, Flickr, be bigger than that and let us keep Recent Activity.

view photos

Hakan Kavas says:

Today "notifications" didn't work again for more than 7-8 hours. When it started few minutes ago showed only several notifications.I think it will not work properley for a long time."recent activity" was not perfect but better than "notifications".

view photos

Jan 130 says:

Dear Flickr, a plea from the heart....
Please, please, please can we keep Recent Activity. I've been using Notifications, yes, I have tried. But several times a day I've given up and gone back to Recent Activity. As an admin of several awarding groups, and also a member of many, I find it inconceivable that RA will be thrown away when it's so instantly informative. Just now I notice I've been invited to post in a thread in a much liked group. I couldn't see this on Notifications... but I could on RA. So many have remarked to me - and here - that they can't understand the madness behind getting rid of RA.
Thank you for reading this and for HOPEFULLY taking some action to keep Recent Activity, for all of us who at present love Flickr but won't like it one bit if RA goes. It's very expensive for many Pro users like me, is this wasted money?
Jan 130 edited this topic 2 months ago.

view photos

M.P.N.texan says:

I'm totally in agreement with everyone wanting to keep the "Recent Activity" page. Why fix it if it isn't broken? Oh, programmers keep their jobs by writing new software so they tinker with whatever. Flickr is looking less appealing.

view photos

antonychammond says:

Totally agree with Jan! I have already posted a few comments pleading with flickr to keep the Recent Activity option as I have always found it very helpful in keeping track of comments and faves listed under each photo. The notifications centre is all over the place and you have to constantly scroll down to the same photo again and again to make a note of the comments and faves. Whatever happened to the maxims "the customer is always right" and
if it ain't broke, don't fix it - Wiktionaryhttps://en.wiktionary.org › wiki › if_it_ain't_broke,_do...
ProverbEdit ... Leave something alone; avoid attempting to correct, fix, or improve what is already sufficient (often with an implication that the attempted ...?

Please please reinstate Recent Activity alongside the notifications centre for those who prefer it.

view photos

_patclancy56 says:

Recent Activity is far and away the most useful tool to see what is going on in your photo stream. The new notifications may be slightly better but all in all is still pretty worthless

view photos

Ger Bosma says:

After routinely ignoring the obnoxious blue blurb about RA going AWOL, today we see a red banner.

banner

Shame it's still the same old rubbish, with none of the promised 'improvements' materializing.

I checked it just now for the heck of it: takes 10 second to load, then shows 4 notifcations and no way to load more. Seriously!?!

Clearly you cannot be serious to unleash such an inferior product on paying customers. Leave RA intact and only remove it for those who opt in. (I won't).

view photos

my.travels2 says:

Ger Bosma:

I agree

view photos

mimbrava says:

I add my wish that Flickr keep Recent Activity, which is much more useful to see who commented or faved one's recent posts. Notifications will let you know who commented on your photo but you have to go the extra step to click on the photo to see the comments, whereas with Recent Activity it is all there quickly and easily visible. If you took a poll, I'll bet the majority of especially old-time Flickr users would choose to retain Recent Activity. I don't understand why you would force on us something few consider an improved feature.

view photos

mag3737 says:

mimbrava:

especially old-time Flickr users would choose to retain Recent Activity

There's the rub.

view photos

Helena de Riquer says:

I hope they have a surprise saved at the last minute with the "New and Improved Notifications Center", otherwise Flickr is going to be nasty and inoperable, and worse for me, since I have NOT RECEIVED emails notifications from 16 days ago about the activity on my account.

I can't post a new photo, I don't know how I could track my activity without the emails notifications and without Recent Activity.

I don't know what I'm going to do. This situation is incomprehensible.

view photos

spw6156 - Over 9,318,048 Views says:

The new notification centre is appalling.
Please keep the old one.

view photos

Flickr Staff

katie_ko says:

I understand the frustration here and can see how the new Notifications Center is a big change for folks used to using Recent Activity.

Ultimately, the Notifications Center is a rebuilt version of the Recent Activity page and designed to surface the same notifications that you’re used to seeing on the Recent Activity page-- as well as some new ones.

I’ve listed below the changes to Notifications we’ve shipped based on member feedback, which you can also find in our October release notes.

-Added the total number of comments to the comment pop-up in the Notification Center.
-Made progress to improve loading of the Notifications bell. (With more work upcoming to monitor and improve page performance on Flickr.)
-The Notifications Center now displays the total number of faves or comments on a photo, for applicable notifications.

November’s release notes are coming out soon and will also include more Notifications updates.

While at this time there is no option to revert back to the old Recent Activity page, we’re invested in making sure the new Notification Center works to satisfy everyone’s needs. 

If you’re finding there are some limitations within the new Notification Center that you were able to accomplish using the Recent Activity page, please feel free to share specifics with us directly so we’re able to either offer an existing solution or pass along to the product team for future consideration.

(edited to include additional links)
katie_ko (staff) edited this topic 2 months ago.

This thread has been closed by Flickr Staff.

Subscribe to a feed of stuff on this page... Feed – Subscribe to help discussion threads