Ottoman Bank Branches
The Bank opened new branches all around the Empire. In 1914, on the eve of the war, the eastern network consisted of no less than 80 branches of which 16 were in European Turkey, 37 in Middle-East and Anatolia (Persia, Irak, Lebanon, Palestine and Jordania), 11 in Syria, 5 in Egypt, others in Cyprus and even in Albania, Greece, Bulgaria and Rumania. The circumstances obliged the Bank to close the most part of its branches during the post-war period. On the other hand, new branches, quickly established in the Near East in 1920-30, were functioning according to the instructions of the British shareholders. In 1956, the unfortunate Suez expedition and the nationalisation of the Suez Channel brought about the nationalisation of all the branch network in Egypt. In 1958 the Bank following the policy of the British shareholders enlarged its action in some East African countries: Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania and Rhodesia (now Zimbabwe). In the same area of the globe, the Ottoman Bank had the foresight to set up in Qatar in 1956, then in Abu-Dhabi in 1962 and finally in Muscat in 1969.

However, in some of the countries where the Bank was established, a trend could be seen for the transfer of foreign-owned banking business to local ownership. It was in this context that in 1969 the Ottoman Bank sold its branches in London, Cyprus, Sudan, Jordania, East Africa, the Emirates and Rhodesia to National and Grindlays Bank which later became Grindlays Bank.
103 photos · 1,753 views
1