The maximum allowable size of a bounding box (the distance between the SW and NE corners) is governed by the place type you are requesting. Allowable sizes are as follows:
- neighbourhood: 3km (1.8mi)
- locality: 7km (4.3mi)
- county: 50km (31mi)
- region: 200km (124mi)
- country: 500km (310mi)
- continent: 1500km (932mi)
This method does not require authentication.
- Your API application key. See here for more details.
- A comma-delimited list of 4 values defining the Bounding Box of the area that will be searched. The 4 values represent the bottom-left corner of the box and the top-right corner, minimum_longitude, minimum_latitude, maximum_longitude, maximum_latitude.
- The name of place type to using as the starting point to search for places in a bounding box. Valid placetypes are:
The "place_type" argument has been deprecated in favor of the "place_type_id" argument. It won't go away but it will not be added to new methods. A complete list of place type IDs is available using the flickr.places.getPlaceTypes method. (While optional, you must pass either a valid place type or place type ID.)
- The numeric ID for a specific place type to cluster photos by.
Valid place type IDs are :
- 22: neighbourhood
- 7: locality
- 8: region
- 12: country
- 29: continent
(While optional, you must pass either a valid place type or place type ID.)
<places place_type="neighbourhood" total="21" pages="1" page="1" bbox="-122.42307100000001,37.773779,-122.381071,37.815779"> <place place_id=".aaSwYSbApnq6seyGw" woeid="23512025" latitude="37.788" longitude="-122.412" place_url="/United+States/California/San+Francisco/Downtown" place_type="neighbourhood"> Downtown, San Francisco, CA, US, United States </place> <place place_id="3KymK1GbCZ41eBVBxg" woeid="28288707" latitude="37.776" longitude="-122.417" place_url="/United+States/California/San+Francisco/Civic+Center" place_type="neighbourhood"> Civic Center, San Francisco, CA, US, United States </place> <place place_id="9xdhxY.bAptvBjHo" woeid="2379855" latitude="37.796" longitude="-122.407" place_url="/United+States/California/San+Francisco/Chinatown" place_type="neighbourhood"> Chinatown, San Francisco, CA, US, United States </place> </places>
1: Required parameters missing
- One or more required parameter is missing from the API call.
2: Not a valid bbox
- The bbox argument was incomplete or incorrectly formatted
3: Not a valid place type
- An invalid place type was included with your request.
4: Bounding box exceeds maximum allowable size for place type
- The bounding box passed along with your request was too large for the request place type.
100: Invalid API Key
- The API key passed was not valid or has expired.
105: Service currently unavailable
- The requested service is temporarily unavailable.
106: Write operation failed
- The requested operation failed due to a temporary issue.
111: Format "xxx" not found
- The requested response format was not found.
112: Method "xxx" not found
- The requested method was not found.
114: Invalid SOAP envelope
- The SOAP envelope send in the request could not be parsed.
115: Invalid XML-RPC Method Call
- The XML-RPC request document could not be parsed.
116: Bad URL found
- One or more arguments contained a URL that has been used for abuse on Flickr.